Author Topic: Anthology of SeniorLearn Favorites ~ June-July Book Club Online ~ Short Stories  (Read 11396 times)

BooksAdmin

• TopicManager
The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  Everyone is welcome.

Short Stories - Some SeniorLearn Favorites - JUNE 1 til mid JULY

It is said that a good short story should include: * a strong theme, * a fascinating plot, * a fitting structure, * unforgettable characters, * a well-chosen setting, * an appealing style.  Let's consider these elements as we discuss the following stories.  Is it necessary to include them all in a successful story?

Notice that the titles are all links to the stories.

Discussion Schedule:
June 1 -June 7
*The Book of The Funny Smells--and Everything (1872) by Eleanor H Abbott  
*The Necklace or The Diamond Necklace (1880) -  by Guy de Maupassant
 * Butterball(Boule de Suif) 1884 - by  Guy de Maupassant (if time allows)
*A Pair of Silk Stockings (1896)b] by Kate Chopin  

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
We've a corps of Discussion Leaders looking forward to sharing favorite Short Stories with you during the month of June.  We'd love to include yours as well.  This should be a lot of  fun!

After reading The End of Your Life Book Club, I treated myself to Alice Munro's latest collection - "Too Much Happiness."  I'm looking forward to sharing a few of those stories with you.  She has her own definite style - not sure it is always "appealing" - let's just say, her style is  edgy - with unexpected twists in the plot.  A lot to accomplish in a short story.

We'd love to hear from you!  Titles and Authors of favorites...they can be new, they can be classic.

Scottieluvr

:D :D  

I just asked on the other forum where this club was going to meet. *LOL* And wha-la!  I found it all on my own. Imagine that. Well, in case you aren't aware,  :D  I'm joining this one.  8)
Scottieluvr aka Pamela

"Above all, be the heroine of your life, not the victim." - Nora Ephron

marcie

• Administrator
Scottieluvr, it's great that you'll be joining this group. Do you have any favorites to suggest for our discussion in June?

Scottieluvr

Scottieluvr, it's great that you'll be joining this group. Do you have any favorites to suggest for our discussion in June?

Not at this time, but will keep a look out for possible candidates. *S*
Scottieluvr aka Pamela

marcie

• Administrator
Sounds good :-)

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
We're looking for a wide range of stories...to see what the good ones have in common.  Some that the Discussion Leaders are considering are quite long...almost "novellas" - while others are very short.  You wonder how an author can accomplish much  - incorporating the listed ingredients in a few pages.

* a strong theme
 * a fascinating plot
 * a fitting structure
 * unforgettable characters
 * a well-chosen setting
 * an appealing style

Or maybe it isn't always necessary to include all of the above qualities.  An author would have to be very very talented to accomplish so much in a short story.  I'm looking forward to looking at the stories in this way.  I remember taking a creative writing course  - a long time ago.  My short stories were always an unsatisfying exercise.  I must have been missing some of the crucial elements...because I never cared for what I had written.

kidsal

• Howdy from Rock Springs, WY
The Yellow Wallpaper, Charlotte Perkins Gilman

JudeS

I'd like to suggest "Brokeback Mountain" by Annie Proulx.
Don't know if it's on line or not.
Many people saw the movie but the short story is a peice of Art.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Found both Yellow Wallpaper and Brokeback Mountain on line - thanks, both of you!

marcie

• Administrator
The Yellow Wallpaper is fabulous, kidsal. I haven't read Brokeback Mountain but would be interested in doing so.

retired

I suggest author Wallace Stegner Collected Stories of Wallace Stegner,
He was an award winning author and a teacher of Writing Fiction at Stanford University , Ca.
There is a Stegner Chair named in his honor for a recipient in Literature.
I have read his book of collected short stories as well as a number of his novels.
I have enjoyed all.
The discussion leader can choose any one short story from his collection for the group.
You will not be disappointed .  He is a master of description. 

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Thanks so much for the Wallace Stegner suggestion!  Would love to follow up on it.  He's had several Short Story Selections over the years, I see.  We'll need to check and see which of his stories are available for all to read online.  It would help if you would narrow down your favorites in order to start that seach.  Again, thank you!

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
Most are newer readers among us but we did the Yellow Wallpaper a few years ago - I believe Ginny was the discussion leader - did not realize "Brokeback..." was a short story - fascinating.

I have some suggestions all by woman authors.

On the Gull's Road by Willa Cather

Scarlet Stockings by Louisa May Alcott

The Bear Came Over the Mountain by Alice Munro
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Scottieluvr

Here’s my contribution: some of these I’ve read, others only the first couple paragraphs. Those I didn’t or partially read, because I want to enjoy the read with everyone else. I’ve linked to legal free versions of each piece. *S*

1) The Monkey's Paw, by W. W. Jacobs
http://www.americanliterature.com/author/w-w-jacobs/short-story/the-monkeys-paw
A classic horror story.  I’ve never read it but it’s highly recommended as one of his best.

2) The School, from Sixty Stories by Donald Barthelme
http://www.npr.org/programs/death/readings/stories/bart.html
I read this story and agree with the blogger, this author possesses an odd, playful [childish] writing style, with interesting descriptive paragraphs.  Scroll down here to read the “blurb” for this short story: http://flavorwire.com/272890/10-wonderful-short-stories-to-read-for-free-online/view-all

3) Symbols and Signs by Vladimir Nabokovm May 15, 1948 published in The New Yorker
http://www.newyorker.com/archive/1948/05/15/1948_05_15_031_TNY_CARDS_000214135?currentPage=all
Keywords: Insane; Birthdays; Children; Parents; Russia, Russians; Gifts: New York City; Immigrants

I only read the first 2 paragraphs. Scroll down here to read the “blurb” for this short story: http://flavorwire.com/272890/10-wonderful-short-stories-to-read-for-free-online/view-all

4) The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas by Ursula K LeGuin - from The Wind's Twelve Quarters
http://harelbarzilai.org/words/omelas.txt
Again, I only read the first paragraph. Scroll down here to read the “blurb” for this short story: http://flavorwire.com/272890/10-wonderful-short-stories-to-read-for-free-online/view-all

5) The Veldt by Ray Bradbury
http://www.veddma.com/veddma/Veldt.htm
The link to the actual story is in a very small font. On your menu bar (top of window/screen), click “View”, then “Text Size”; to change the font to LARGE on this read. Normally my font size is set to Medium and it still showed as an 8 font. Also, scroll here down to read the “blurb” for this short story: http://flavorwire.com/272890/10-wonderful-short-stories-to-read-for-free-online/view-all

I’ve never read this story from Mr. Bradbury…
Scottieluvr aka Pamela

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
What a great collection we are massing - Scotieluvr you make me want to find links as well - may do that before the day is over - we could be creating our own anthology of short stories to read at our leisure - do you subscribe to the Library of America short story of the week that pops up in your email each Sunday?  This week is Aldo Leopold and links to other environmentalist's short stories. http://storyoftheweek.loa.org/2013/04/natural-history-forgotten-science.html
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
The one I prefer from your list is The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas by Ursula K LeGuin - from The Wind's Twelve Quarters http://harelbarzilai.org/words/omelas.txt

I too read just the first bit of each and the language on this makes it pure joy to read - almost poetic - I would really enjoy this read regardless the story line.

Scottieluvr

What a great collection we are massing - Scotieluvr you make me want to find links as well - may do that before the day is over - we could be creating our own anthology of short stories to read at our leisure - do you subscribe to the Library of America short story of the week that pops up in your email each Sunday?  This week is Aldo Leopold and links to other environmentalist's short stories. http://storyoftheweek.loa.org/2013/04/natural-history-forgotten-science.html

BarbStAubrey, thank you for the link. I've signed up for this weekly notice...I'm all for books being delivered to my email.  ;)
Scottieluvr aka Pamela

marcie

• Administrator
Thanks for all of those short story recommendations, Scottieluvr. I've read the ones by Ray Bradbury and Ursula LeGuin. I enjoy both of their writing styles.  I'd be interested in reading and talking about any of those on your list.

Barbara, yes, thanks for that information about the Library of America short story of the week.

Frybabe

Here is a website dedicated to short stories

http://www.americanliterature.com/short-stories

My first exposure to Arthur C. Clarke was a short story published in Playboy magazine. Well, Wikipedia calls A Meeting with Medusa a novella. I don't recall it being particularly long enough to call it a novella, yet it won the 1972 Nubula Award for the Best Novella.

I recently read a short story by Chester Burton Brown called Felix and the Frontier. I downloaded it when Amazon had it as a freebie for a short while. Unfortunately it is no longer free unless you can participate in their Lending Library. Amazon's description: "Felix is a sentient robot explorer, mapping the distant fringes of the galaxy ahead of a wave of pioneers. He has been programmed to discover complex life, and to introduce himself on behalf of his human masters."  I found it captivating.  Does 90 page make this a novella too? I can't find where the cut off is between short story and novella.

A month or so ago, I finally got around to reading An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge. I also vaguely remember the Twilight Zone episode version.

I grew up with Mark Twain, Washington Irving, Edgar Allen Poe, and Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes short stories.

JudeS

Frybabe
I too grew up with the same authors as you did

However , if we are doing a project on short stories I think we must include one by Guy deMaupassant since he is considered one of the Fathers of the modern short story.
I would suggest "Ball of Fat" which is considered his masterpeice. If that is not found online than perhaps nother one of his stories will have to do.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA

Jude, it is easy to see why - has anyone written more  short storie than de Maupassant has?

Take a look at this list of his stories:  http://www.gutenberg.org/files/3090/3090-h/3090-h.htm

We were considering another of his stories - The Diamond Necklace - , but will certainly look for Ball of Fat ...

You are all keeping us busy!

marcie

• Administrator
It looks like Ball-of-Fat is available online at no cost in several formats.

http://librivox.org/ball-of-fat-by-guy-de-maupassant/

kidsal

• Howdy from Rock Springs, WY
Are we skipping June???

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
kidsal...June will be a month of short stories.  We have been collecting SeniorLearn's suggestions for weeks now. (see heading at the top of this page.)

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
JoanP how will we make a choice - will we do more than one a week?

JudeS

Why not do two a week and compare them?

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
We're going to try to fit in ten of them...into a 6 week period, beginning June 1. Hope you can join us!  This should be fun! We will begin with a comparison of three 19th century stories  -  from three different countries in this same period!  All of these stories are available online.
Stay tuned...

Frybabe

I'd like to do The Murders in the Rue Morgue since we just got done with The Moonstone. I'd like to compare Poe's detective story vs. Collin's detective. Poe has a claim to the first detective story, while Collins has a claim on the first detective novel.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Fry, there have been so many good suggestions, like yours...we've had to omit those we've already discussed here as a group...Yellow Wallpaper 2003 and Murders in the Rue Morgue 2003. Both of these discussions exist in their entirety in our Archives.  It might be fun to refer to these discussions as you read the stories...

You can find the Archives on the main page - or follow this link -  

http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=181.0

dixierose4

I'd like to add "The Collected Stories of Katherine Anne Porter."  Included in the collection is "Pale Horse, Pale Rider" about the infuenza epidemic in 1915 (not sure of the exact date).  Fantastic reading.
dixierose4

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Thanks for the suggestion, dixierose!  Will go check to see if "Pale Horse, Pale Rider"  is available to read on-line.  Sometimes the stories are protected and not accessible to the public on line.  Please plan on joining us here, no matter what - beginning June 1.

EDIT - dixierose, as far as I can see, KA Porter's collection is under copyright - Copyright © 1993 - 2013.  Will keep checking, but after reading several reviews, I'm thinking that the whole collection might be a good choice for group discussion in the future, if not available on-line for this discussion.  We could count on local libraries to discuss the entire book.  Thanks for a great suggestion!

salan

I'm not a big fan of short stories; but I'll probably pop in and read a few.....
Sally

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Good! Glad to hear you'll be with us, Sally! Maybe we'll change you mind before the month is out.

retired

Joan: Discussion Host :
Perfect, since we can access the selected short stories online.
I will join the discussion group on June 1st .

JudeS

How do we access the stories online?

I tried  the story as listed in the heading . This led to the story, but with pages deleted.

Are we waiting till June to get access?

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Really glad you are planning to  join us, retired.  We'll begin to discuss the 19th c. stories you see in the heading - (the titles are linked to the stories.)  It will be interesting to see the way the stories develop, and the position of women as time goes by.

We won't begin to discuss them until June 1st  We found that de Maupassant's delightful  Boule de Suif (Butterball) is much longer than the others but we'll try to work it into the discussion if time allows.  

Thanks, Jude - we were looking for the  most readable online stories - trying out different sites.  Try those that appear in the heading - see that they are complete.  Can use your eagle eye.

Scottieluvr

Book marked and ready to go but patiently waiting for June 1st.  ;D
Scottieluvr aka Pamela

nlhome

I'm hoping to participate. Some of the suggestions have caught my interest.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Good...and the stories are short, so you won't get bogged down in them.  See you Saturday!