Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece Mystery 2013 & Other PBS Programs  (Read 83200 times)

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
Re: PBS Masterpiece Mystery 2013
« Reply #160 on: August 19, 2013, 11:23:54 AM »

Masterpiece Mystery 2013 presents the best British mysteries. See the complete 2013 MASTERPIECE MYSTERY schedule.   

NOW DISCUSSING
Let's talk about any PBS program of interest to us

Foyle's War, Season VII
September 15 -29, three 90 minute episodes

Detective Chief Superintendent Christopher Foyle is again in pursuit of criminals who are taking advantage of the confusion created by World War II.

ALREADY DISCUSSED

Silk
August 25 - September 8, three 120 minute episodes

Two rival barristers, one an idealistic defense lawyer and the other a ruthless prosecutor, compete for the prestigious appointment as Queen's Counsel in three episodes of high-stakes cases in criminal law.

The Lady Vanishes
August 18 - 90 minutes

A young socialite suspects foul play when a young woman inexplicably disappears from a train, in a stylish and suspenseful new adaptation of the classic thriller The Lady Vanishes, based on the 1936 novel, The Wheel Spins, by Ethel Lina White.

Three episodes of ENDEAVOUR reveal the rocky start of Inspector Morse's career in the police force.

In the all-new 2013 season, Lewis and Hathaway tackle three cases in the seemingly perfect academic haven of Oxford: Down Among the Fearful (June 16), The Ramblin' Boy (June 23), and Intelligent Design (June 30). Guest stars include Peter Davison (Doctor Who) and Edward Fox (Ghandi, Foyle's War).

Discussion Leaders:  JoanP and marcie

“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #161 on: August 19, 2013, 11:25:26 AM »
The Vanishing Lady was rather disjointed wasn't it - spots of good acting but could not figure out from last night what the various characters had to do with the story - thank goodness I saw a version years ago - not sure where - maybe in the movie theater or maybe on TV. Seems to me the one I saw was in black and white or maybe since there was so much sinister activity most scenes were filmed in the semi-dark and it seemed like it was filmed black and white. It is difficult to take seriously attitudes towards women in the 1930s when they are dressed not too much differently than today. The only ones who I thought had the 1930s mannerisms down to make the time believable were Keeley Hawes - Julian Rhind-Tutt  - and whoever played Frau Kummer
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #162 on: August 19, 2013, 09:13:58 PM »
Heat of the sun. Not seen that listed on our PBS station?

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #163 on: August 20, 2013, 12:47:23 AM »
I sort of enjoyed THE LADY VANISHES but I agree with you, Frybabe, that the whole thing seemed "superficial." It might have been because of the frantic fast-talking of Iris, while everyone else was sort of slow-paced.

Frybabe

« Reply #164 on: August 20, 2013, 01:20:43 AM »
JeanneP, Heat of the Sun is an older program I found on my Amazon Prime. If it ran here, I missed it but it is good. It is set in Nairobi in the 1930's. Trevor Eve plays a former Scotland Yard detective who is send to Nairobi as head the new crime unit. Since he is new to Africa, he has to learn the customs of the local tribes as well as the white landowners, counters prejudice and bigotry when he can, and solve crimes. Already in the three episodes I've watched there were murders, arson, robbery, fraud (con artist), slave trading, rape, native witchcraft, and a war deserter. The town is a mix of natives, whites, and Indians. The airplane pilot is a female. The doctor, like the doctor in The Lady Vanishes, is not well liked or trusted by some because he is German. 

salan

« Reply #165 on: August 20, 2013, 05:42:36 AM »
I was very disappointed in "The Lady Vanishes".  I enjoyed seeing some old familiar faces; but the program left much to be desired (imo).
Sally

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #166 on: August 25, 2013, 10:42:17 AM »
"Silk" starts on our PBS tonight.  I read a review that was critical.  I hope it is better than "the Vanishing Lady" which was disappointing.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #167 on: August 25, 2013, 01:00:59 PM »
I've read several reviews that indicate that the main characters in Silk will be complex and gradually unfold during the series. I too hope that it will be an interesting series.

nlhome

« Reply #168 on: August 25, 2013, 03:51:03 PM »
I just finished watching "The Lady Vanishes." It was a good way to spend a very hot day. I'm not sure I will be watching Silk, at least not on TV. It looks interesting, but there are things I need to do...

MaryPage

« Reply #169 on: August 26, 2013, 08:16:15 AM »
I watched SILK, and one thing drove me nuts:  the actors spent most of their time walking at an extremely rapid pace all over the place AND they spoke like human machine guns.  I did not like it one little bit that that male law pupil was a thief and into intrigue, or that the female law pupil fell so easily for the seduction.  I did think the acting superb in many cases.  Well, it is all very British Modern, and I will watch every episode and see whether or not we are rewarded by having Martha win the Silk.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #170 on: August 26, 2013, 11:33:35 AM »
After reading the review of Silk, I didn't think it would be worth the time to watch it.   The review was accurate in its criticisms, but I did enjoy it despite its failures.  I am looking forward to the next episode.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #171 on: August 26, 2013, 11:32:36 PM »
I too am looking forward to the next episode. This one was packed full of events and actions that are giving us insights into the complex characters.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #172 on: August 27, 2013, 12:37:23 AM »
I recognize Clive who is Rupert Penry-Jones from MI5 - and the young man Nick Slade we just saw in the Lady who Vanished or whatever it was entitled. I've seen Billy Lamb but I do not remember in what - and the guy who was accused of rape - I have seen him but do not know his name or what other show he was in.

salan

« Reply #173 on: August 27, 2013, 03:50:33 AM »
I enjoyed Silk; but one thing drove me crazy---the telephones always ringing.  It seemed that once that I noticed the ringing every ring thereafter jarred my nerves.  Anyone else notice that???
Sally

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #174 on: August 27, 2013, 05:04:53 AM »
Yes, and a couple of times I could not tell if it was my phone or the TV

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #175 on: August 27, 2013, 11:48:42 AM »
Silk did not impress me.  Don't think I will follow it.  Rather watch "Poppy montgomery" on CBS same time.

Frybabe

« Reply #176 on: August 27, 2013, 05:01:36 PM »
Nuts, JeaneP. I forgot Unforgettable was on again. Now I am, once again, going to have to watch it on the computer. I am not watching Silk.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #177 on: August 27, 2013, 10:41:07 PM »
I was disappointed in The Lady vanishes, too. They had the makings of a good one, but somehow didn't pull it off.

Did anyone else watch "Silk", the first of a new series on my PBS station? Prime Suspect with lawyers instead of cops. Showed the woman lawyer running around like mad, overworked and stressed, competing with her sexist boss for promotion, and dealing with the conflict of having to defend an accused rapist. I'll give it a "wait and see." The first episode had an interesting plot, but was too frenetic for me.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #178 on: August 27, 2013, 10:42:18 PM »
What is "Heat of the Sun" about? Is it the same as our "Death in Paradise"?

Frybabe

« Reply #179 on: August 28, 2013, 07:21:52 AM »
Never heard of Death in Paradise, JoanK. Heat of the Sun is set in Nairobi in the 1930's. Trevor Eve plays Superintendent Albert Tyburn, who was formerly of Scotland Yard. Because he shot a bad guy (child molester/killer), he was given the choice of being sent to Kenya or lose his job entirely. The story line focuses on the expatriate  community. Apparently the three episode show (two of them two parters) was originally shown in the US in 1998. I enjoyed it. Too bad there were so few made.

ps. Michael Byrne played an excellent police commissioner more interested in social standing and appearances than in actually catching the right person. I am sure you will recognize him from Coronation Street, as well as many, many other TV series.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #180 on: September 02, 2013, 12:39:01 PM »
Watched the second episode of Silk and think it's getting more interesting.  Wonder how her decision about the pregnancy will work out.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #181 on: September 02, 2013, 01:06:41 PM »
I wonder how things are going to move forward  - seems like he is setting her up and for awhile he appeared like a good guy but when your own skin is on the chopping block and as competitive as he is I cannot help wondering if he is duping her.

MaryPage

« Reply #182 on: September 03, 2013, 08:04:56 AM »
I watched it.  Don't see how in the world she is going to get through a pregnancy walking up and down all those stairs and through all those marble corridors in those stiletto heels at such a high speed.  Or even at a low one.

jeriron

« Reply #183 on: September 03, 2013, 10:13:54 AM »
I finally got to watch the first episode and enjoyed it.  I'll watch Sundays today.  I didn't notice the heels but I hate her red lipstick.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #184 on: September 03, 2013, 11:24:57 AM »
Like reading what we see on film often is symbolic - here is the skinny on Red Libstick

It's way more affordable than a pair of red-bottom Christian Louboutin heels.

Since the 1940s, red lipstick was one of the key symbols of feminine glamour, according to Lipstick Queen creator Poppy King. "Red lipstick and finger-curled hair was a woman's crowing glory in the '40s and served as a symbol of power and ability. During the war, there was even a term ('Rosie the Riveter') for the power woman had with their hair and red lipstick in place to do any job or task that was needed, regardless of difficulty," said King.

When we think of red lipstick, famous faces such as Marilyn Monroe, Dita Von Teese and Gwen Stefani come to mind. And we can't help but try to recreate their glossy, matte and satin red lip looks. But King believes that the ideal of red lipstick has changed over the years, transforming from a must-have standard for women into a niche product that many women are reluctant to wear.

She explained, "It is a very misunderstood product in that women assume you need confidence to wear red lipstick when actually red lipstick gives you confidence, but you need to get past the mental block."

"Many women also feel that when you red lipstick you need to wear a full face of makeup like in the '80s when you wore red lipstick with technicolor eyeshadow, big hair and shoulder pads. Ever since the '90s, we have been emancipated from this overdone look and the fear is to go back. Yet, red lipstick worn in the 21st century version of glamour is worn with minimal makeup so that the look is relaxed glamour that makes it chic rather than retro," said King.

jeriron

« Reply #185 on: September 03, 2013, 11:54:12 AM »
Can't help it. I never liked it even when I was young.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #186 on: September 03, 2013, 11:56:19 AM »
 ;)

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #187 on: September 03, 2013, 12:21:17 PM »
I don't like red lipstick and prefer pastels (I wonder what that says about me  :D), but I have a daughter-in-law who has an olive complexion that looks gorgeous in red lipstick.  I wonder if the writer is trying to tell us something with that bright red lipstick.  If he/she is than I'm not getting it.  Have you noticed that Martha replenishes her lipstick a lot?  You don't usually notice a lead character so often putting on her lipstick.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #188 on: September 03, 2013, 01:31:05 PM »
Yes, like replenishing her confidence - it makes sense to me...!

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #189 on: September 08, 2013, 01:21:31 AM »
I'm looking forward to the next episode of SILK tomorrow.

Thank you to all of you who have gotten me hooked on Doc Martin. I've just requested season 5 from my library. There is a great article about the series at http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/martin-clunes-raking-fortune-overseas-2258934

Apparently, Doc Martin is making millions for Martin Clunes and his wife (the producer) who own the production company. It's been re-made in many countries. The article shows the actors who play the Doc and the  school teacher in various countries. What a difference due to local customs/style! Check out Greece and Spain!!!

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #190 on: September 08, 2013, 08:45:00 AM »
What an interesting article, Marcie, thank you so much for putting it here!  Mercy on some of the foreign versions hahahaa Funny!  (Aren't the French elegant tho?)

I'm glad they are contemplating a 7th season! You really get hooked on it.

I just finished watching the two  Doc Martin movies, neither of which I liked.  They really took the concept to a great level, I think, in the TV series. But the movies are not as good. The  first movie was passable but I thought the second was very bad,  like they had not found their footing or something. It actually reminded me of the first episodes of the Andy Griffith Show when Griffith played the comic character, with that broad accent. He  was still playing the character he had made famous in the movies, the funny one. When the TV series stopped that and let Barney Fife be the funny one, and Andy the reasonable one,  it really clicked in to the great show it became, and that's kind of the way the second movie is of Doc Martin, he's playing it for laughs. It does not work.

I think the TV shows are much better. Seeing the teasers for the 6th season, I can't wait.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #191 on: September 08, 2013, 04:10:41 PM »
euwww tonight starts Last Tango In Halifax I've watched the ads and it really looks good - great actors - I just know it will not disappoint.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #192 on: September 08, 2013, 06:43:50 PM »
Ginny, that's too bad that he was playing it as funny in the movies. What's great about his character in the series is that he's completely serious. It works because he isn't being "funny."

I'd still like to see the movies. I wish that my library had the movie DVDs.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #193 on: September 08, 2013, 06:44:14 PM »
Barbara, Last Tango sounds interesting. I'll look for it.

Dana

• ::
« Reply #194 on: September 08, 2013, 07:14:23 PM »
I liked the comments about red lipstick. For the young...super, but what amazes me to see is elderly American ladies with bright red lipstick.  Its just a way of life .  But as a Scot, hard to take.  Of-course, haven't lived in Scotland for so many years, but it just wasn't the thing back then.......elderly ladies wore a dash of powder.....

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #195 on: September 09, 2013, 02:36:19 PM »
The Dr. Martin show. It is good but surprised that it is getting world wide.  I think the couple in the Holland one are the most fitting.  None will be as good as the Brit one.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #196 on: September 09, 2013, 03:05:03 PM »
I really liked the first episode of "Last Tango in Halifax." I kept wondering where I'd seen the woman before. Then I remembered -- I think she played the talkative stenographer that was in a few episodes of "As Time Goes By." Or am I wrong again? Maybe just same lilting way of talking.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #197 on: September 09, 2013, 03:56:13 PM »
Mrs Thackeray, the cook, in the BBC's revival series of Upstairs, Downstairs

Dana

• ::
« Reply #198 on: September 09, 2013, 08:17:53 PM »
Oh, I thought she was the mother of the guy in Downton who just died in a road smash....don't ask me their names....!

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #199 on: September 10, 2013, 12:35:38 PM »
Well, no one mentioned the last episode of Silk so apparently it wasn't watched or enjoyed.  However, I really enjoyed it and thought 3 episodes was just right.  Thought it ended well.  I am looking forward to Foyle's War.  I hope it is as good as the original series.