Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece 2014 Cont. - Downton Abbey & Other PBS programs  (Read 109314 times)

marcie

• Administrator
Re: PBS Masterpiece 2014 - Downton Abbey; Sherlock
« Reply #200 on: March 01, 2014, 11:46:57 AM »

See the 2014 MASTERPIECE schedule.  

Now Discussing
Watch Season 2 of SELFRIDGE March 30 through May 18.

ALREADY DISCUSSED
Watch Season 4 of Downton Abbey during January and February 2014.

Sherlock, Season 3, returned, starting January 19, following the 9pm broadcast of Downton Abbey. Benedict Cumberbatch (The Fifth Estate, Star Trek Into Darkness) and Martin Freeman (The Hobbit, The Office UK) returned as Sherlock Holmes and John Watson in three new 90-minute episodes of the contemporary reinvention of the Sir Arthur Conan Doyle classic, created by Steven Moffat (Doctor Who) and Mark Gatiss. Watch episodes on TV or online after they air.

Discussion Leaders:  JoanP and marcie

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #201 on: March 01, 2014, 11:47:10 AM »
Steph, on our local PBS we've already seen the last episode of Downton. The next PBS Masterpiece isn't scheduled until March 30. It's the second season of SELFRIDGE.

CallieOK

« Reply #202 on: March 01, 2014, 12:15:37 PM »
Our PBS station has started its two-week fund-raiser.  There are a few new programs - but most are the same old same old. <sigh>

MaryPage

« Reply #203 on: March 01, 2014, 12:16:12 PM »
I've been watching reruns of Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries on another PBS channel which had not bought and shown them previously, and am enjoying them just as much as I did on the first go round.  She is SUCH a delightful actress, and I love every actor and actress in these stories.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #204 on: March 01, 2014, 03:49:37 PM »
Steph. Yes, I believe you mist the last week for Downton Abbey. On pbs. Unless your station recorded it.

I didn't care for Selfridges and so will give it a miss.
PBS . A fund raiser again. Not long since had a 2 week one and never stop having a daily one here.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #205 on: March 01, 2014, 05:50:22 PM »
MaryPage, on your recommendation I've gotten a couple DVDs of Miss Fisher from our library. I'm enjoying them very much. LOL, she has a new guy in every episode.

Steph

« Reply #206 on: March 02, 2014, 10:06:01 AM »
Our PBS shows last week between 8 and 9, as an enchore, So that is what I meant. I generally watch it then.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #207 on: March 02, 2014, 03:20:44 PM »
I swear that one spells words right on these IPads but on reading later they come up different. My last one I wrote Missed and it liked Mist better.

Frybabe

« Reply #208 on: March 02, 2014, 05:26:57 PM »
My Kindle does the same think, JeanneP. It thinks it knows what word I want better than I do.

MaryPage

Re: PBS Masterpiece 2014 - Downton Abbey; Sherlock; Selfridge
« Reply #209 on: March 03, 2014, 08:25:18 AM »
Marcie, aren't the clothes and hairdos heavenly!

Steph

« Reply #210 on: March 03, 2014, 08:35:58 AM »
Boo. we had some sort of exercise program, last night on PBS,,What in the heavens name is happening to the station, so I have missed the last episode and will need to look it up on line and watch it on my IPAD.. Darn..

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #211 on: March 03, 2014, 11:11:54 AM »
Steph you can watch it online at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch-online/

If you have cable you could watch it "on demand" on your TV.

Steph

« Reply #212 on: March 04, 2014, 08:36:38 AM »
Thanks Marcie,, now to figure out a time to actually sit down and enjoy. I seem to be involved in way too many meetings. Hmm. I may have overdone the " figure out what happens in Kings Ridge" syndrome.

ursamajor

« Reply #213 on: March 04, 2014, 08:47:02 AM »
Are we on Season 4 or Season 5 now?  I only found season 4 on the linked site.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #214 on: March 04, 2014, 11:11:33 AM »
ursamajor, we just finished season 4 of Downton.

Steph

« Reply #215 on: March 05, 2014, 08:44:00 AM »
and in England, they are doing season 5??

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #216 on: March 05, 2014, 09:13:32 PM »
Before we get away from Downton Abbey, I wanted to strongly agree with Mary Page about the costuming for the series but I also want to mention something that we noticed about all the shows taking place in a different time of our history but most for now in Downton.  Its all the different modes of transportation that are shown to us as they begin to appear.  That's so incredible!  We've gone from mostly horses and buggies to cars in such a short time. 
We were watching Season One over of the show and really began to see things change.  I love these people and feel honored to watch them grow as the world was growing.  Amazing that the production seems to have no trouble with finding the proper cars for certain years.  And the kitchen which is now getting to see a mixer, a typewriter, a telephone etc etc.  Remember when Carson was practicing answering the phone??  A riot to see!
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #217 on: March 05, 2014, 09:25:30 PM »
I guess our grandkids would scratch their head and laugh aloud seeing pictures of us watching the Test patterns when we first got a TV in our homes or even watching the test pattern on TVs in store windows that we would all stand in front of.  I still do not tweet much less half the stuff the new phones allow. Amazing in one life time the changes that seem to start in earnest by early 1800s.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

salan

« Reply #218 on: March 06, 2014, 05:13:27 AM »
Yes, and it is exciting (and a little scarey) to imagine what the next 10 years of our lives might bring.
Sally

MaryPage

« Reply #219 on: March 06, 2014, 06:11:15 AM »
I am constantly going nutz over things being in stories and books set in my own early lifetime that should not be there.  Things we did not say or do or have.
Doonesbury has been offering cartoons going back to 1970 in the newspaper this past week, and it starts with stating that colleges were putting roommates together based on their backgrounds with the assistance of computers.
There were universities who owned humongous computers that took up whole rooms and could not calculate as fast as my current PC, but they were using them for the math and science departments and for business and accounting, NOT for matching up people!

MaryPage

« Reply #220 on: March 06, 2014, 06:14:00 AM »
Annie, it is true the costumes in Downton Abbey are to die for also, but I was referring to the clothes and accessories in Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries.  Phryne Fisher herself wears stuff I swoon over.

Steph

« Reply #221 on: March 06, 2014, 08:36:13 AM »
My older son started college in 1979..Tufts and they did not use computers to match roommates, but they did use them for the room lottery every year. You went on line and got a random number.Then the computer would pick a start number and then you got to pick rooms based on that. Sort of fun.

MaryPage

« Reply #222 on: March 31, 2014, 07:36:41 AM »
Midwives and Selfridge's came back on my PBS channels last night.  Both most excellent.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #223 on: March 31, 2014, 09:56:32 PM »
I watched Selfridge's last evening too. It was interesting to see the focus on women fighting/asserting themselves for rights/freedom.

Afterwards there was a 20 minute or so program about the actual Selfridge who seems to have died without any money in his 80s. He was kicked out of the store that he had started by the Board of Directors because of  his personal spending habits from the store's money. He came back almost every day to stand in the street and look in the windows of the store. That was very sad. I hope that the series doesn't go into that.

CallieOK

« Reply #224 on: April 05, 2014, 11:32:21 PM »
Hmmm....typed a post on my Tablet and it showed as entered.  Now I'm on my pc and it's nowhere to be seen. 

Sorry if this ends up being a repeat.

I just watched last week's episode of "Mr. Selfridge".   I'd forgotten some of the characters and didn't recognize others.  I think the change in the women's hair styles made a difference.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #225 on: April 06, 2014, 03:32:02 PM »
Callie, Yes, I noticed the change in hairstyles too.

I find that I'm getting a bit confused between Mr. Selfridge and The Paradise which has so many similarities.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/programs/series/paradise-s1/

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #226 on: April 07, 2014, 04:38:37 PM »
Yes I was looking forward to what happened next after who ever it was who runs after who ever was leaving the Department store and saw that must have been the Paradise - sure hope Selfridge stays faithful to his wife - the scene near the end where the went for a drink was not very re-assuring. Lady May's husband is a piece of work isn't he...
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #227 on: April 07, 2014, 06:34:11 PM »
Barbara, yes. Lady May's husband, Loxley, is awful. What do you think he is going to do with the list of leather manufacturers that Selfridge gave him?

I guess that there is a 'season 2' of THe Paradise but that will be it for the show. http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/paradise-bbc-axe-show-make-3138353

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #228 on: April 08, 2014, 01:21:31 AM »
my guess - he charges the government the higher price showing somehow invoices as if from the higher quality and price companies and actually gets the boots for the cheapest pocketing the difference. From what we learned viewing Downton I think he is one of the many who after WWI goes under when these marvelous country estates are taxed - he appears not to have a good handle on making money but then Lady May is tucking aside her saving grace in the form of jewels.

I wonder what Hanri has up his sleeve as the reason he cannot stay at Selfridges - whatever I wonder if his plan will be affected by the war. When Rose first found him with his beard I thought for a minute it was her painter down on his heals - I notice Harry has a new painting of Rose in his office - a lighter more summery look.

And my oh my Miss Mardle has it made - now what?

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #229 on: April 08, 2014, 11:04:54 AM »
Barbara, yes, I think that Loxley has some kind of kickback scheme in mind and I too thought that it was the painter that Rose found. I don't know why she would have been looking for Henri.

Miss Mardle was dumped by Mr. Grove and he's really regretting it now!!

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #230 on: April 08, 2014, 11:46:10 AM »
Really enjoyed "Mr Selfridge" on Sunday night.  It was good to see familiar faces.  And, of course, now we know that Rose has always known that her husband was a skirt chaser,  even after she returned from Chicago.  His ego knows no bounds!
As to Midwives, I just can't watch another woman being delivered of a child.  I do appreciate what the story is telling us about women in that time and the actors are very good at presenting a picture of midwives.  We DVR watch the Jeremy Brett version of Sherlock when Midwives comes on. 
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

rosemarykaye

« Reply #231 on: April 08, 2014, 06:44:30 PM »
A new series started on Sunday night in the UK - The Crimson Field.  It's about VAD nurses in WWI in France.  Hermione Norris is the matron of the field hospital at which three new recruits have just arrived.  Daughters and I enjoyed the first episode - of course it's full of cliches and every character has a 'secret', but it's perfect Sunday evening viewing - Anna calls it 'Call the Midwife in Wartime' :-)

I imagine it will come to PBS in due course.

Rosemary

Steph

« Reply #232 on: April 09, 2014, 12:01:09 PM »
I am in love with Call the Midwife.. No idea except it shows England at a particular time and I love the bikes and thefierce independence of the women.

salan

« Reply #233 on: April 09, 2014, 12:19:40 PM »
I love "Call the Midwife", also.  All the characters are soooo good.  The acting is excellent and I love the story line.
Sally

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #234 on: April 09, 2014, 09:40:27 PM »
Rosemary, thanks for the advance notice about The Crimson Field. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Steph

« Reply #235 on: April 10, 2014, 09:36:33 AM »
I think I will try Netflix for the earlier Call the Midwife,I would love the background.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #236 on: April 10, 2014, 11:05:35 AM »
Sounds like a good idea, Steph. My public library has the dvds for season 1 and 2 available. I didn't see much of those episodes either.

MaryPage

« Reply #237 on: April 10, 2014, 11:22:53 AM »
I believe Call The Midwife takes place starting just after World War II and going into the nineteen fifties.  East End London.  True background, Jenny the narrator having written a book when she was much, much older.  Church of England nuns, not Roman Catholic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_the_Midwife

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jennifer_Worth

Steph

« Reply #238 on: April 11, 2014, 09:55:04 AM »
yes, Idid get that they were not roman catholic nuns, but C of E. The fancy caps brought back memories. My mother was a nurse and I know how much she and friends loved their different caps. Now of course, no one ever wears them .

MaryPage

« Reply #239 on: April 12, 2014, 10:39:44 AM »
There we go again, Steph!  Both my mothers:  my mother and my mama (my stepmother) were nurses.

One of my 5 daughters is a nurse.

Two of my 13 granddaughters are nurses.