Author Topic: Author! Author!  (Read 354111 times)

rosemarykaye

Re: Author! Author!
« Reply #1840 on: May 18, 2011, 03:02:09 AM »
Ditto to both!

Rosemary

Frybabe

« Reply #1841 on: May 18, 2011, 09:05:13 AM »
Thanks Rosemarykaye. I thought the clues were a little hard, for the most part. The book was a bestseller back in 2006, but I don't think it won any awards. Urrea was a finalist for a Pulitzer Prize for his Devil's Highway which was about the human smuggling across the Mexican/American borders. He has won several awards for his books and an Edgar for one of his short story mysteries.

I thought his blogs on his website a bit fun to read. Urrea appears to be a chatty, upbeat, fun kind of guy. He is or has been active in Mexican/American (as well as other minority immigrants) cultural heritage projects. He is currently teaching creative writing at the U. of Illinois at Chicago according to his website bio.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1842 on: May 18, 2011, 09:12:25 AM »
Thanks for that info Frybabe, i will have a look at his blogs, they sound interesting.

Rosemary

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1843 on: May 18, 2011, 03:14:29 PM »
Traude--you're the winner fair and square.  Good job.  You filled in for Gumtree recently, and you have a lot on your plate at the moment, so if you don't want to do the next quiz, I'll either do it or recruit someone.

Gumtree

« Reply #1844 on: May 19, 2011, 06:00:21 AM »
PatH: As I  'owe' one to Traude I'll be happy? to even the score but only if Traude doesn't wish to do the next one - and if anyone else would care to do it I'll be really happy to step aside.
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #1845 on: May 19, 2011, 02:27:04 PM »
Gumtree, you are most kind. But given the shortness of the "guesswork" last time, I'd like to give it another whirl.  Thank you so much.

Gumtree

« Reply #1846 on: May 19, 2011, 11:42:56 PM »
Thanks  Traude -

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #1847 on: May 20, 2011, 08:02:27 PM »
Here is a new quiz

Author :   American novelist and short story writer

Book :     A novel about loneliness in families 

Character :  The perceptive young narrator

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1848 on: May 20, 2011, 09:17:37 PM »
Did the author die last year?

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #1849 on: May 21, 2011, 12:14:23 AM »
No, PatH, not this one. Sorry

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1850 on: May 21, 2011, 03:47:51 AM »
I was thinking along the same lines PatH - durrh, back to the drawing board.. ::)

Rosemary

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #1851 on: May 21, 2011, 09:21:09 AM »
New clues

The author, critically acclaimed and championed by Graham Greene and Arthur Miller, to name two, died in the sixties.

The book was adapted for the stage by the author.

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #1852 on: May 22, 2011, 03:27:13 PM »
Here's what we have so far :

Author: A novelist and short story writer,
            was critically acclaimed by respected peers,
            and died in the sixties

Book : A novel about the loneliness in a family adapted for the stage by the author

Character : A perceptive narrator

Additional clues :

The author was a southerner

The book is a growing-up story, later made into a film.

The young  narrator is radiant throughout

Gumtree

« Reply #1853 on: May 23, 2011, 05:55:07 AM »
I was beginning to think around Jack Kerouac who died in the 60s- but he doesn't fit... certainly he wasn't a southerner.

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #1854 on: May 23, 2011, 06:06:50 PM »
 More clues

The author devoted five years to writing this novel.

It takes place in a small town.

The young daughter misses the mother she's ever known and has no friends her own age, only a much younger cousin and the colored
cook.

Frybabe

« Reply #1855 on: May 23, 2011, 09:24:19 PM »
Oh, now that last clue is ringing vague bells in my head. Sounds like a movie I might have seen once upon a time. No, I think the one I am thinking of was set in South Africa.

roshanarose

« Reply #1856 on: May 24, 2011, 12:26:54 AM »
Imitation of Life?  Don't know the author, sorry.
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #1857 on: May 24, 2011, 02:34:38 PM »
Frybabe, the book has been adapted for the stage, motion picture and television.

The story takes place in the American South.

Roshanarose, an interesting guess. I remember the movie with Lana Turner, Sandra Dee and Susan Kohner with lots of glitz and romance.

The novel in the current quiz cannot be said to be a romance. Rather, it addresses the emotional loneliness and the difficulties of teenagers growing up motherless.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1858 on: May 24, 2011, 03:28:49 PM »
The only thing I could think of was To Kill A Mockingbird, and Harper Lee did not die in the 1960s. 

Am stumped  :D

Rosemary

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #1859 on: May 24, 2011, 07:05:40 PM »
Is this Carson McCullers,  Member of the Wedding?  But I don't know the name of the young girl.

All I remember is that Brandon DeWilde played the part of the younger cousing.

Frybabe

« Reply #1860 on: May 24, 2011, 07:37:30 PM »
Pedln, since I never heard of Carson McCullers I looked him up and discovered he was a she and I have heard of several of her books. The Member of the Wedding certainly sounds like it is a fit.

roshanarose

« Reply #1861 on: May 24, 2011, 08:32:48 PM »
Yep.  Pedln has got it - I am sure of it.

StraudeRe "Imitation of Life".  I was a very impressionable teenager when I saw that movie.  Yes.  Lana Turner was all glamour and glitz, but always seems a bit seedy to me.  Sharon Stone has the same quality.  That quality was/is often perfect for the roles they chose.  No.  My favourite was Susan Kohner.  When she found out about her "mixed heritage" she was devastated.  I often wonder if attitudes to those of mixed heritage have changed much in the South.

I never really liked Sandra Dee.  She was too plastic and I was jealous of her because she had a tiny waist, one of my major ambitions at the time. 
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #1862 on: May 25, 2011, 12:07:29 AM »
We have a winner ! Congratulations, pedlnwell done !!

Carson McCullers is the author, The Member of the Wedding the novel (1947)

More on this tomorrow.
Also about Lana Turner et al in Imitation of Life.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1863 on: May 25, 2011, 02:54:51 AM »
Well done Pedln!  I wouldn't have got that one in a million years. 

Roshanarose - I was always similarly jealous of Barbie (her waist not her lifestyle/choice of men), but Anna assures me you would actualy de if you were her shape   :)  Having just seen the photos taken at my parents-in-law's party, I now realise I look about 192 on a good day, so waist size now seems largely irrelevant   >:(

BTW, has anyone see Toy Story 3?  The scene with Ken and Barbie is absolutely hilarious.

Rosemary

Gumtree

« Reply #1864 on: May 25, 2011, 05:32:24 AM »
Good one Pedln :

Can't say I've ever read anything by Carson McCullers so I wouldn't have guessed it in a month of Sundays.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #1865 on: May 25, 2011, 10:08:13 AM »
It's been years since I read any Carson McCullers, and I don't remember much about her works -- The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter, Ballad of the Sad Cafe.  But I can still picture the younger cousin -- those great big eyes and those great big glasses -- portrayed in the film version of Member of the Wedding.

Just in case you want to start pondering, our next author died in this decade,  the book is the author's first, a novel published in 1967.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1866 on: May 25, 2011, 02:51:37 PM »
It's been decades since I read her. thanks for reminding me. Maybe I'll revisit her books on Kindle.

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #1867 on: May 25, 2011, 03:16:17 PM »
It was too late to conclude last night.  

We lived in Washington, briefly, and in northern Virginia for the next twenty years.  It didn't take me long to discover that I knew nothing about southern literature, had never heard of 'southern gothic', and set about remedying that, beginning, of course, with Faulkner. Two women authors caught my attention on the way, one was Flannery O'Connor and the other Carson McCullers.  Both suffered from chronic illnesses,  but their work is very different.

Loneliness was part of McCuller's life and work; and sexual ambiguity.  I thought that pedln with her past as librarian might would be more familiar with is author who also wrote Reflections in a Golden Eye, also made into a film with Marlon Brando and Elizabeth Taylor and caused some raised eyebrows.

Adaptations of The Member of the Wedding are, first,  the author's own for a Broadway production, which opened in the Empire theatre in 1950 and starred Ethel Waters, Julie Harris as Frances "Frankie" Addams, and Brandon de Wilde.

The actors reprised their roles in the 1952 movie to high critical acclaim.

A television adaptation followed in 1987, andin  another movie with Anna Paquin and AlfreWoodard.

The Young Vic Theatre in London produced a stage version in 2007.

Thank you for paricipating.
\

Roshanarose, I never cared much for Lana Turner; there seemed to be something "plastic" about her. Never a hair out of place and the latest couture. She "paraded" more than she acted, I thought. I agree with you about Susan Kohner, a fine actress, and Sandra Dee, who did not appeal to me.  I may be forgiven for being candid because de gustibus non est disputandum  :)

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #1868 on: May 25, 2011, 10:09:29 PM »
Just in case you want to start pondering, our next author died in this decade,  the book is the author's first, a novel published in 1967.

It was later made into a film  and won three awards at the Montreal World Film Festival.

roshanarose

« Reply #1869 on: May 27, 2011, 02:02:14 AM »
Excellent win pedln.  Excellent quiz Straude  8)

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #1870 on: May 27, 2011, 12:41:37 PM »
The author died in this decade. 

The book is the author's first, a novel published in 1967.
It was later made into a film  and won three awards at the Montreal World Film Festival.

There is conflict here, between father and son.

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #1871 on: May 28, 2011, 12:34:14 AM »
Another clue will be welcome, pedlen.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #1872 on: May 28, 2011, 01:07:39 PM »

I think this is probably the best-known of the author's works, but what I remember most is about a character in another of the author's books.  In that book, there is a small child, a 3-year-old, who loves to paint and draw.  He's painting and can't get the color right until he takes ashes from his mother's cigarette and mixes them with water.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #1873 on: May 28, 2011, 01:16:11 PM »

New clue:  The time span is six years, from 1944 -- 1950, set in -- that might give it away.

Frybabe

« Reply #1874 on: May 28, 2011, 03:50:37 PM »
I'm not getting any vibes yet.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1875 on: May 28, 2011, 04:01:14 PM »
Me neither I'm afraid...

Rosemary

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #1876 on: May 29, 2011, 07:29:08 PM »

It was later made into a film  and won three awards at the Montreal World Film Festival.
The time span is six years, from 1944 -- 1950, set in -- that might give it away.

New clue:  The author was ordained in 1954 and served as a chaplain for 15 months during the Korean War.  The author later received a PhD in Philosophy from the U. of Pennsylvania in 1965.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1877 on: May 29, 2011, 07:58:03 PM »
Good grief, I'm totally befuddled.

roshanarose

« Reply #1878 on: May 29, 2011, 09:20:43 PM »
I thought of Kurt Vonnegut, but he doesn't fit the criteria.  While we are on the subject of Vonnegut, I enjoyed reading the rules he wrote that every short story writer should abide by:

"I his book Bagombo Snuff Box: Uncollected Short Fiction, Vonnegut listed eight rules for writing a short story:

Use the time of a total stranger in such a way that he or she will not feel the time was wasted.

Give the reader at least one character he or she can root for.

Every character should want something, even if it is only a glass of water.

Every sentence must do one of two things—reveal character or advance the action.

Start as close to the end as possible.

Be a Sadist. No matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them—in order that the reader may see what they are made of.

Write to please just one person. If you open a window and make love to the world, so to speak, your story will get pneumonia.

Give your readers as much information as possible as soon as possible. To hell with suspense.

Readers should have such complete understanding of what is going on, where and why, that they could finish the story themselves, should cockroaches eat the last few pages. "

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1879 on: May 29, 2011, 10:31:57 PM »
That's amusing.  Very like Vonnegut's writings.