Author Topic: Author! Author!  (Read 354075 times)

Frybabe

Re: Author! Author!
« Reply #1960 on: June 20, 2011, 01:39:27 PM »
I don't think it was for cheating, pedln. If it is who I think it is,  I have never read any of the books, but have heard of some of them. I think Traude was talking about ruling out the English and French.

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #1961 on: June 20, 2011, 08:41:21 PM »
I'm home after a very, very long wait. Checkup results excellent. Hot tea has re-energized me.

Thank you for your responses to this (admittedly) difficult quiz.
Please don't be cross with me.  I did not intend to "string" you along indefinitely  :(  I know well enough that often clues can  not be understood unless we've read, or at least heard of, a given work/authlr. So I'd never "put anyone "on the spot", but I think  this author,  this work, taken together with his others writings,  are indeed part of world  literature and worth knowing  and marveling about.

Pedln,
Frybabe came closest in her post # 1957 when  she wondered if  "the author may be German, Austrian ...". BTW I did not see that post when I sent my message minutes later., only after coming back.

Frybabe, when something "rings a bell but doesn't quite come together", it's reasonable to explore available references  - we do so every day. But before that is classified as 'cheating',  other criteria come into play (such as motive, intent, gain ,among others) None are applicable here IMHO.  We are not competing against each other,  there's nothing to be gained, not even a medal (thank God for that!).
I hope Rosemary,our in-house lawyer concurs.

Frybabe,  if you don't mind, please post your guess.  Thank you.

Frybabe

« Reply #1962 on: June 20, 2011, 09:42:27 PM »
Herman Hesse - The Glass Bead Game.

I have heard of, but never read Der Steppenwolf and Siddartha. Siddartha is now on my find list.

Traude, what is it about stories of India. I am also trying to find E.J. Buck's Simla Past & Present which was published in 1904.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1963 on: June 20, 2011, 10:19:50 PM »
Wow, Frybabe!  I'm sure that's it.  I'd never even heard of it, but it fits perfectly.

I started Siddartha, but got a bit impatient with it.  Sure, he is the Buddha, and has to pursue his path to enlightenment, but I didn't like the way he discarded people along the way like so much useless trash.  Maybe I should try it again; I might feel differently now.

Traude, what is it about stories of India.

Well for one thing, we've just been working through Traude's magnificent summing up of Staying On.  And we read Kim a year ago.  It doesn't take much to hook one on such an interesting topic.

roshanarose

« Reply #1964 on: June 21, 2011, 01:01:13 AM »
I agree with you there pedln.  A list should be given of who is NOT Anglo-Saxon, relating to this literary game.  We are all over the world.  I was thinking Franz Kafka, I read some of the Castle.  Quite esoteric and not exactly to my taste.  I will keep looking.
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1965 on: June 21, 2011, 03:13:42 AM »
Straude, I don't think you need to apologise!  it's meant to be a quiz, so if we can't get it that just makes it more of a challenge.  I haven't got the faintest idea what the answer is, so I will learn something new when somebody gets it.

As to the rules of combat,  don't ask me! 

Shame we can't have a prize of chocolate buttons   :)

Glad your test results were good, those sort of things are such a worry.

Rosemary

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #1966 on: June 21, 2011, 09:42:38 PM »
I was working on a post this afternoon when the computer shut down on me.  The same thing happened again just now, hours later.
I'm going to try a third time to confirm that Frybabe's literary sleuthing and  clever deductions paid off.

It i Hermann Hesse, and the book is The Glass Bead Game (Das Glaperlenspiel), also known as Magister Ludi = the Mater of the Game.
The author was born in 1877 in Swabia, a province in southwestern Germany, the son of Protestant missionaries who had served in india under the aegis of a Mission Society based in Basel, Switzerland, where the family lived for several years before returning to the German city of Hesse's
his birth.
In 1923 Hesse became a citizen of Switzerland where he lived until his death in 1962 (in  Montagnola, in the Italian-speaking Ticino region.)

in 1911 he took a long trip, alone, to India, Sri Lanka, Burma, Borneo, an Sumatra. He used his personal experiences when he wrote Siddhartha. That book and his novels Demian,  published under the pseudonym Emil Sinclair, and Steppenwolf were very popular in this country in the seventies.  In the last twenty years of his life Hesse wrote shorter works, essays, critiques, memoirs and countless letters.

In Germany he was considered  a "traitor" i Germany because of his  outspoken pacifism. The Glass Bead Game was rejected by a German publisher in 1931 and published in Switzerland in 1943. In 1946 the author was awarded the Nobel Prize for literature.
The Glass Bead Game contains many literary and political allusions but is harder to access than his other writings. 

Thank you again for participating in thes quest to solve this puzzle.

I'm glad the computer did not act up again.  ;D

roshanarose

« Reply #1967 on: June 21, 2011, 10:32:00 PM »
CONGRATULATIONS FRYBABE A very worth quiz Straudetwo.  I recall when I was at Uni that "Glass Bead Game" and "Dice Man" were THE books to read among the literati.  I didn't read either.  Enough said.
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1968 on: June 21, 2011, 11:51:10 PM »
Good quiz, Traude, good sleuthing, Frybabe.  Tag, you're it.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1969 on: June 22, 2011, 03:00:20 AM »
Yes, well done Frybabe!  Not only have I not read the books, I don't even have Roshanarose's technical ability to write anything in capitals, and/or in colour  ???

Straude, thank you for your notes about Hesse, I knew nothing about him and that was very interesting. 

Rosemary

Frybabe

« Reply #1970 on: June 22, 2011, 09:20:28 AM »
This should be pretty easy to figure out.

Author: Poet

Book:  Begins with the creation of the world.

Characters: Numerous

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1971 on: June 22, 2011, 12:18:48 PM »
Milton, Paradise Lost?

Frybabe

« Reply #1972 on: June 22, 2011, 02:15:37 PM »
Nope!

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1973 on: June 22, 2011, 02:32:08 PM »
That was my thought too, but you beat me to it, Rosemarykaye.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1974 on: June 22, 2011, 02:45:42 PM »
And much good did it do me, Pat!   :D

Rosemary

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #1975 on: June 22, 2011, 08:15:42 PM »
Ah  yes, the first clue is always rather vague.

Absent a virtual dowsing fork, a few more clues should help :)  

roshanarose

« Reply #1976 on: June 22, 2011, 11:36:46 PM »
Hesiod, Theogony

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1977 on: June 23, 2011, 01:50:29 AM »
I thought of The Bible, but I suppose we don't really know who wrote the first bit!

Frybabe

« Reply #1978 on: June 23, 2011, 08:25:13 AM »
No and no.

Next clue:

Author: After schooling, he held some minor position in law, but did not like it or politics.

Book: It is the only classical "mock epic" with an epilogue. This epilogue expresses the notion that an author gains immortality through his writings.

Characters: The first part of the book focuses on Greek mythology.

Well, that should give it away. Many of you have read all or parts of this.

roshanarose

« Reply #1979 on: June 23, 2011, 09:06:14 AM »
I am thinking Plato.  A famous Greek dishwashing liquid.

roshanarose

« Reply #1980 on: June 23, 2011, 09:32:05 AM »
Or maybe - Jonathan Swift - Gullivers Travels.  First part read a lot like Odysseus (to me anyway).

Gumtree

« Reply #1981 on: June 23, 2011, 09:40:16 AM »
I've got it but I'll keep mum to give everyone else a chance... Traude handed it to us on a plate.
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

Frybabe

« Reply #1982 on: June 23, 2011, 10:06:40 AM »
I am thinking Plato.  A famous Greek dishwashing liquid.

;D  ;D

I needed a laugh, Roshanarose, but no. Guliver is not it either.

Gumtree

« Reply #1983 on: June 23, 2011, 11:41:43 AM »
Oops ! sorry - I should have said Frybabe handed it to us on a plate

roshanarose

« Reply #1984 on: June 24, 2011, 12:37:54 AM »
Seeing Gum has implied that I must be as thick as a whale sandwich, my last choice is "A Midsummer's Night's Dream" by Shakespeare.

roshanarose

« Reply #1985 on: June 24, 2011, 01:07:06 AM »
Approximate date of publication would be good.

Maybe : Ovid's "Metamorphosis"

Gumtree

« Reply #1986 on: June 24, 2011, 04:18:20 AM »
Roshanarose -  Ovid was my choice too!

Thick as a whale sando - you? never!

BTW - hope you and SIL are feeling better. Don't forget all you've been through in recent times in Qld. It takes a toll so be kind to yourself.

Frybabe

« Reply #1987 on: June 24, 2011, 08:08:57 AM »
Winner! Winner! Winner!

The Australian contingent is on the ball.

Laurels to Roshanarose.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1988 on: June 24, 2011, 09:50:08 AM »
Well done Roshanarose!  Genius!

At a well-known fish and chip restaurant in Aberdeen called the Ashvale, you can order something called "the Ashvale Whale" - and if you manage to get through it you get another one free.  I hasten to add that it is not whale, but haddock (large).  I don't like to think too much about a whale sandwich   :o

Rosemary

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #1989 on: June 24, 2011, 11:24:29 AM »
Bravo Zulu, Roshanarose.  Well Done.

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #1990 on: June 24, 2011, 11:59:48 AM »
Congratulations, Roshanarose/ Brava !

roshanarose

« Reply #1991 on: June 24, 2011, 08:16:00 PM »
Thanks folks. :)

RosemaryKaye - I remember my mother used to serve us haddock, which my father (being English) adored.  I liked it too.  Too salty for my taste now, though.  Whale Sandwich is a Blackadder creation.

Gum - SIL has been cleared.  Strangely enough the day they were going to put the paddles on his chest, his heartbeat righted itself naturally.  A message for him though - don't work so hard!  As for me, I am seeing the doc on Monday.  Thanks for your good wishes.

I was determined to get that one right as at the end I was the only one in the race.  I have my quiz topic chosen, now I just need to get it together. 

roshanarose

« Reply #1992 on: June 27, 2011, 10:43:04 PM »
Author : Lost his mother at a tender age.   

Character:  I was born to luxury in a relatively remote part of the world.

roshanarose

« Reply #1993 on: June 27, 2011, 11:01:56 PM »
Gum : Visit to the doctor.  I suffer from hypertension and my readings often go up and down.  Doc and blood tests found nothing wrong with me.  I can only deduce it was my BP.

SIL is fine, although should be resting.

roshanarose

« Reply #1994 on: June 28, 2011, 10:20:55 PM »
Was a sickly child and was home schooled until age 15.

Character:  I was born to luxury in a relatively remote part of the world.
My career was greatly influenced by my location, and complex civilization.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1995 on: June 29, 2011, 02:03:14 AM »
Is it something to do with China?

Gumtree

« Reply #1996 on: June 29, 2011, 05:51:25 AM »
Or even Australia  :D

roshanarose

« Reply #1997 on: June 29, 2011, 09:30:45 AM »
Not China or Australia.  Strictly speaking I was of Arab background, but preferred to think of myself of almost legendary background.

roshanarose

« Reply #1998 on: June 29, 2011, 11:43:14 PM »
I am on the horns of a dilemma - and it is none too comfortable.  It makes me happiest when I see everyone participating, it really does.  My quiz this time is reasonably difficult, but that is the norm here.  If you think about the sorts of quizzes I have created in the past you will note that the Classics is a favourite theme.  This quiz is also a "classical" quiz.  By that I mean Anno Domini, but not by many years.  Like my Themistokles quiz this one is also part of a book of biographies.  If you recall, Themistokles was included in "Plutarch's Lives" of Greece.  This one is not by Plutarch, however.  So onwards,  please participate, and if it is just too difficult, tell me and I will give more clues.  

Was a sickly child and was home schooled until age 15.
Started college at 15 with an erudition that startled his teachers.
Precocious, he would often question his teachers on religious matters.

Character:  I was born to luxury in a relatively remote part of the world.
My career was greatly influenced by my location, and complex civilization.
I was of Arab background, but preferred to think of myself of almost legendary origin.
I became fluent in Greek, due to the tuition of a "sublime" Greek tutor; and was also fluent in the Syriac and Arab languages.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1999 on: June 30, 2011, 12:40:14 AM »
I'm thinking, I'm thinking.