Author Topic: Author! Author!  (Read 354066 times)

Gumtree

Re: Author! Author!
« Reply #2040 on: July 11, 2011, 12:40:34 PM »

Welcome to Author! Author!  

This is a game in which the contestants match their wits with a  challenger, who suggests a character in literature, non- fiction or fiction. The challenger may or may not provide more clues, his prerogative,, and never more than one a day.

Once a day the challenger will say if the guesses are correct or not. The winning contestant gets lots of acclaim and the chance to pose the next challenge. If he does not want to post a new challenge he can say so and whoever does can begin a new game.

Of course you could look these up on google in an instant, what challenge is that? The  idea is to rack one's brain to try to remember where this particular character appeared and who wrote about him/ her. Should be great fun.

The challenger also has the option not to mention the name of the character, but only a description.

Authors used so far:

Author, Book, Character, Challenger, Post#, winner

Anonymous, Beowulf, Beowulf, PatH, #1301
Atwood, Margaret, The Blind Assassin, Gumtree, #277
Austen, Jane, Pride and Prejudice, Mary Bennett, #158
Banks, Lynn Reid, The L-Shaped Room, Jane Graham, Rosemarykaye, #1785, unguessed
Baum, L. Frank, The Wizard of Oz, Dorothy, JoanK, #342
Bennett, Alan, Uncommon Reader, Queen Elizabeth II, rosemarykaye, #1605, pedln
Blackmore, Richard, Lorna Doone, Lorna Doone, Frybabe, #462
Bronte, Emily, Wuthering Heights, Heathcliff, Gumtree, #252
Buchan, John, 39 steps, Richard Hannay, PatH, #396
Burns, Olive, Cold Sassy Tree, pedln, #1594, rosemarykaye
Carroll, Louis, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Alice, JoanK, # 426
Cervantes, Don Quijote, Don Quijote, PatH, #701
Christie, Agatha, Hastings, JoanK, # 127
Christie, Agatha, Death on the Nile, Hercule Poirot, JoanK, #752
Clancy, Tom, Hunt for Red October, Frybabe, #553
Clarke, Arthur C., Rendezvous with Rama, roshanarose, #2064
Coetzee, J. M., Disgrace, David Little, Straudetwo, #1336
Collins, Wilkie, The Moonstone, Rachel Verinder, PatH, #311
Conrad, Joseph, Heart of Darkness, Marlow, Gumtree, #226
Conroy, Pat, The Great Santini, Conroy's father, JudeS #1319
Cronin, A. J., The Citadel, Andrew Manson, JudeS, #1085
Davies, Robertson, The Cunning Man, Jonathan Hullah,  straudetwo, #1382
Dostoevsky, Fyodor, Crime and Punishment, Roskolnikov, JudeS, #1209, 1213
Doyle, Sir Arthur Conan, Study in Scarlet, Dr. Watson, PatH, #380
Dumas, Alexandre pere, The Three Musketeers, D'Artagnan, PatH, #939, 941
DuMaurier, Daphne, Rebecca, the nameless narrator, Gumtree, straudetwo and rosemarykaye, #1924
Eliot, George, Daniel Deronda, Gumtree, #190
Eliot, T. S., Old Possum’s Book of Practical Cats, Bustopher Jones, PatH, #110
Essex, Karen, Leonardo's Swans, Isabella d'Este, Mippy, #591
Faulkner, William, The Sound and the Fury, Caddy, 1429, 1439, Frybabe
Galsworthy, John, The Forsyte Saga, Irene, PatH, #615,620
George, Elizabeth, Lynley and Havers, Tomereader1, #168
Gibbon, Edward, The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, Zenobia, Frybabe, roshanarose, #2003, 2011
Gilbert, W. S., The Savoy Operas, Frederick, or the Pirate King, #1108, 1111, 1112
Goodman, Carol, The Night Villa, the slave girl, Gumtree, # 1165
Greene, Graham, The Third Man, Holly Martins, PatH, ##1175, 1179
Grey, Zane, Riders of the Purple Sage, Frybabe, #294, 299
Hardy, Thomas, Far From the Madding Crowd, roshanarose, #1741, rosemarykaye
Henry, O., Mammon and the Archer, Anthony Rockwall, Ginny  #537
Hesse, Herman, The Glass Bead Game, straudetwo, Frybabe, #1962
Hugo, Victor, Les Miserables, JoanK, # 1904, Gumtree
James, Henry, Washington Square, straudetwo, #981, 982
James, Henry, Wings of a Dove, Kidsal, #83
Keller, Helen, The Story of my Life, Anne Sullivan, JoanK #958
Lagerlof, Selma, The Wonderful Adventures of Nils, Nils Holgersson, JudeS #899
Lamb, Charles and Mary, Tales From Shakespeare, Macbeth, JoanK, #1301
Lampedusa, Giuseppe di, The Leopard, Don Fabrizio, Gumtree, Frybabe and straudetwo, #2031, 2032
LeFanu, Sheridan, Carmilla, roshanarose, #769
Li, Cunxin, Mao's Last Dancer, Li Cunxin, Gumtree, #1713, roshanarose
Maupin, Armistead, Tales of the City, rosemarykaye, #1553, pedln
McCourt, Frank, Angela's Ashes, Frank McCourt, JoanK, #1062
McCullers, Carson, Member of the Wedding, straudetwo, pedln, #1859
Melville, Herman, Moby-Dick, the whale, PatH, #482
Miller,Arthur, Death of a Salesman, Gumtree, #1005, 1006
Milton, John, Paradise Lost, Frybabe, #413
Mitford, Nancy, roshanarose, #839, 840
Murdoch, Iris, The Sea, the Sea, Charles Arrowby, straudetwo, #1197, 1198
Nabokov, Vladimir, Lolita, Lolita, JudeS, #1124
O’Brian, Patrick, Master and Commander, Jack Aubrey, JudeS, #319
Orwell, George, Frybabe, #97
Ovid, Metamorphosis, Frybabe, roshanarose, #1985
Pearl, Matthew, The Dante Club, pedln, #1629, deems 2
Peterson, Roger Tory, Field guide to the Eastern Birds, Mockingbird, JoanK #202
Potok, Chaim, The Chosen, Danny Saunders, pedln, #1890, JoanK
Potter, Beatrix, Jemima Puddleduck, rosemarykaye, #1478 pedln, #1482 deems2
Plutarch, ----, Themistocles, roshanarose, #1025, 1027
Preston, Douglas, Dinosaurs in the attic, Frybabe, #1456 rosemarykaye
Rand, Ayn, We the Living, Frybabe, #498, 502
Rowling, J. K, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Harry, PatH, #1409
Rhys, Jean, Wide Sargasso Sea, Jane Eyre, straudetwo, #1230
Saramago, Jose, Blindness, deems 2, #1652, straudetwo
Scott, Sir Walter, Ivanhoe, Ginny, #602
Sewall, Anna, Black Beauty, Frybabe, #1490, Gumtree
Shelley, Mary, Frankenstein, the monster, PatH, #451
Smith, Alexander McCall, Mma Ramotswe, JudeS, #145
Smith, Alexander McCall, 44Scotland Street, Cyril, rosemarykaye, #1238, 1243
Spark, Muriel, The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, Miss Brodie, Gumtree, #671, 672
Stead, Christina, The Man Who Loved Children, straudetwo, #1690, Gumtree
Steinbeck , John, Journal of a Novel, Gumtree, #53, 60
Stoker, Bram, Dracula, Jonathan Harker, JudeS, #631, 632
Stone, Irving, Depths of Glory, Camille Pisarro, Gumtree, #802
Tolkien, J. R. R., Lord of the Rings, Frodo, PatH, #238, 241
Tolstoy, Leo, War and Peace, Pierre Bezukhov, PatH, #1267
Trollope, Joanna, The Best of Friends, Sophie, Mippy, #218
Tyler, Anne, Digging to America, Maryam Yazdan,Mippy, #735
Urrea, Luis Alberto, The Hummingbird's Daughter, Saint Teresa de Cabora, Frybabe, #1835, straudetwo
Voltaire, Candide, Candide, straudetwo, #1809, Frybabe
Vreeland, Susan, The Forest Lover, Emily Carr, Mippy, #364
Weir, Alison, Innocent Traitor, Lady Jane Gray, roshanrose, #883
Wethers, Beck, Left for Dead, Ginny, #29
Wharton, Edith, The Age of Innocence, Frybabe, rosemarykaye, #2054, Gumtree #2055
Windsor, Kathleen, Forever Amber, Amber, Traude, #927, 928
Wodehouse, P. G., Bertie Wooster, PatH, #1046, 1048
Woolf, Virginia, Flush, Gumtree, #1511, 1513, rosemarykaye
Woolf, Virginia, Orlando, Orlando, PatH, #1141
Xenophon, Frybabe, #173
Zola, Emile, Germinal, Etienne Lentier, Gumtree, #1352

Only the latest heading is up to date.

WINNERS!  WINNERS!  WINNERS!

FRYBABE AND TRAUDE DO IT AGAIN

Yes indeed!   Il Gattopardo or The Leopard by
Guiseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa

And as PatH intimated the character was The Prince, Don Fabrizio

Guiseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa was himself a Sicilian nobleman, Duke of Palma and Prince of Lampedusa. He was born in Palermo in 1896 and died in Rome in 1957. He lived the life of a literary dilettante, was familiar with the great literature of the world, and was widely travelled. He published nothing during his lifetime, but bequeathed, in addition to his great novel, a memoir, some short stories, an incomplete novel and some fascinating appraisals of English and French literature...including work on Stendhal among others.

Tomasi wasn't alone in liking Stendhal - I do too- very much, though I won't live long enough to really appreciate him - nor do I have the necessary mastery of French to do so.

Lampedusa was bitterly disappointed that the  centuries old palace in Palermo that he called home and which had survived the Germans was destroyed by the Allies during WWII.

It truly is a wonderful book - and yes, as with PatH it was about 30 years since I had read it until the restored movie came out and I read it again -

The novel tells the story of the passing of power in the 1860s from the ruling aristocracy to the new Republican Italians symbolised by Garibaldi. It's set in Sicily with Don Fabrizio, Prince of Salina - the old Gattopardo -observing the changes but too old to change himself whilst his penniless nephew Tancredi Falconeri embraces the changing Italy. The novel encompasses the main revolutionary events of the 'Risorigmento' as the movement for the unification of Italy came to be known and the great changes brought about. Despite this it is fairly short - around 200 pages in paperback. The book is something of a requiem for the past and the passing of an era but above all it is superbly crafted by the author - in all there are only eight chapters each telling one part of the story and the novel is almost entirely seen through Fabrizio's eyes. Fabrizio realises that his family's only hope for survival lies in going with the tide of change. -

as Tancredi says in the famous quote, "If we want things to stay as they are, things will have to change"

And things do change but the Salina household is not swept away. As Lampedusa suggests a ruling class that knows how to compromise will defeat attempts to overthrow it.

"...a work that transcends its creator, achieving a sensitivity and intelligence without parallel ... one of the most moving meditations on individual mortality in literature..."

The film is superb - nothing less - and directed by Luchino Visconti (who also did one of Thomas Mann's Death in Venice). One reason the film didn't sweep up the Oscars is that when it was released in 1963, it was only shown in the English speaking world in a shortened version and dubbed into English. It was finally shown in full length (three hours) in 1983 but the colour had begun to suffer, and it was only comparatively recently that a full restoration brought the film back to its original glory. The restored film had a very long run here at an art house theatre around 2003/4 and they released the DVD here in 2005.

There's so much to like about the film but the major thing that pops up is the stunning ballroom scene- "the longest and most magnificent thing of its kind in the history of cinema" - the scene runs for close to an hour and is simply sumptuous and without one second wasted.

Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

Gumtree

« Reply #2041 on: July 11, 2011, 12:59:02 PM »
Frybabe mentioned that The Leopard could be a contender for a discussion and I couldn't agree more. Lots to learn about that period and of course Lampedusa's writing is so wonderful - even in translation there's a precision and lucidity which is all too rare.

As Traude says, Lampedusa was Sicilian and of an arostocratic background.

Lampedusa Island:
The first prince of Lampedusa and Linosa was Giulio Tomasi, ancestor of the famous writer Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa, who received the title from Charles II of Spain in 1630.[citation needed] A century later the Tomasi family began a program of resettlement. In the 1840s the Tomasi family sold the island to the Kingdom of Naples.

Curiously, this evening I watched a current affairs programme which dealt with the Lampedusa Island and the problem created by a large influx of refugees from Tunisia. Within a very short time the island's small population of around 6,000 which economically relies on fishing and tourism was outnumbered by the refugees. the Italian government  seemingly ignored their plight for political reasons until matters reached crisis point when they stepped in to remove the refugees to Sicily for processing.

The coincidence to that programme screening tonight and this quiz today was just amazing -to me anyway!

So, now it's over to our winners... she's says with relief.  :D  

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #2042 on: July 11, 2011, 02:53:55 PM »
Frybabe and Gumtree, if you think "The Leopard" would make a good discussion, why don't you propose it in the Suggestions for Future Book Discussions?

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #2043 on: July 11, 2011, 02:55:09 PM »

Frybabe

« Reply #2044 on: July 11, 2011, 04:09:22 PM »
he movie had the misfortune to be up against the likes of Gone with the Wind at the 1964 Academy Awards.
Me, what a dope!

I meant to say Cleopatra. The Leopard was compared to Gone with the Wind for its costumes. I just looked up the list of 1964 Academy Award winners. It appears that Tom Jones won for best picture, best director, best writing/screenplay, and  best music score-original work. Amazing, that Tom Jones gave Cleopatra a run for its money. Also amazing is that a movie called Papa's Delicate Condition won the best original song over the likes of Charade and Mondo Cane. I do not remember what song that might have been.

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #2045 on: July 11, 2011, 10:54:38 PM »
Frybabe  the movie was Italian, wasn't it ?   Made in Italy, I mean. The director, Luchino Visconti,  one of the best; most actors Italian, including Claudia Cardinale. Only Burt Lancaster was  the only American and Alain Delon French.

Was it in Italian with  English subtitles ?   Or did they synchronize it there ? That's what they still do there because European audiences find subtitles irritating. I know the feeling.

Frybabe

« Reply #2046 on: July 11, 2011, 11:02:08 PM »
The one released in the US was dubbed, Traude.

roshanarose

« Reply #2047 on: July 11, 2011, 11:02:20 PM »
Straudetwo - My apologies for not acknowledging you as part winner of Gum's Quiz.

HOORAY FOR STRAUDETWO !!!!!!!!!
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

Gumtree

« Reply #2048 on: July 12, 2011, 04:07:58 AM »
Traude: The film was directed by Visconti and was in Italian and originally cut by about an hour and dubbed into English - the restored version shown here in recent years and the DVD have subtitles. I prefer subtitles to poorly dubbed English.

Visconti resisted casting Burt Lancaster as Don Fabrizio whom Lampedusa describes early in the book as -

- Between the pride and intellectuality of his mother and the sensuality and irresponsibility of his father, poor Prince Fabrizio lived in perpetual discontent under his Jove-like frown, watching the ruin of his own class and his own inheritance without ever making, still less wanting to make, any move towards saving it.

Lancaster gave that role such strength and dignity and of course he always had a huge screen presence. IMO he played the character to perfection so it's hard to imagine anyone else.

Frybabe - strange you mentioned Cleopatra which I have just received from my version of Netflix - I'm planning to watch it at the end of the week.  - I've never heard of Papa and his Delicate Condition  :D

PatH - you are too kind offering that link to the Suggestion Board - will think about it...

Frybabe

« Reply #2049 on: July 12, 2011, 07:35:41 AM »
I'm on a wrong title roll here. It is Papa's Delicate Condition starring Jackie Gleason and Glynnis Johns.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #2050 on: July 12, 2011, 11:13:42 AM »
My kids gave me both book and film a few years back, and I did watch the film, then DIL's mother wanted it so it was at her house for a few years. I just got it back recently. I have not yet read the book.

To answer Traude's question.  I have the Criterion Collection which has both the original with the English subtitles, and also the one with Burt Lancaster's own voice, in English. (3 discs)

Frybabe

« Reply #2051 on: July 12, 2011, 12:44:17 PM »
If no one objects, I can take the next round.

Gumtree

« Reply #2052 on: July 12, 2011, 12:48:10 PM »
I'll look forward to that Frybabe.

Frybabe

« Reply #2053 on: July 12, 2011, 05:57:35 PM »
Okay, here we go again!

Author:
Novelist, short story writer, and a home and garden designer.

Book:
A love triangle set amid the strict high-society "rules" of New York.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #2054 on: July 13, 2011, 02:27:56 AM »
Is it something to do with Edith Wharton (whom I have never read but I've read about her)?

Rosemary

Gumtree

« Reply #2055 on: July 13, 2011, 04:54:19 AM »
Yes Rosemary - Edith Wharton does spring immediately to mind. I think she designed her own house in the states and had a great garden there - she did much the same when she lived in France... and she wrote stuff about gardens and decorating a house. I read some of it when I was enraptured with Sissinghurst gardens and their creators Vita Sackville West and Harold Nicolson. But it's a long time since I read any of Wharton's novels - Could be Buccaneers or maybe Age of Innocence....

Frybabe

« Reply #2056 on: July 13, 2011, 12:21:33 PM »
Well, that was way too easy. And here I rejected two other possibles because I thought they would be too easy. Sigh.

You are both right, Edith Wharton, and yes, the book is Age of Innocence.

Gum, I have never read any Wharton. Shame on me. I see another download from Gutenberg in the near future.

The neat thing about this quiz is I get to learn about or more about authors I know little or nothing about.

Gumtree

« Reply #2057 on: July 13, 2011, 01:04:05 PM »
Hey Frybabe - Don't be so hard on yourself - no one can read everything - I know - I tried  :D

Wharton is worth the read - she can handle the language. I think she wanted to be Henry James.

Sorry, I shouldn't have rained on your parade - at least not quite so soon. Why not try us out on one of the ones you rejected?

Frybabe

« Reply #2058 on: July 13, 2011, 01:12:52 PM »
Gum, didn't I read that she often traveled with Henry James when she was in Europe?

rosemarykaye

« Reply #2059 on: July 13, 2011, 01:38:11 PM »
Yes Frybabe - have another go.  But don't make it too difficult, that's the first one for ages that I've had the faintest idea about  ::)

Rosemary

Frybabe

« Reply #2060 on: July 13, 2011, 04:24:16 PM »
Okay, we'll try again.

Author:
British born non-fiction, novel and short story writer.

Book:
A tale of exploration.

Gumtree

« Reply #2061 on: July 14, 2011, 12:12:06 PM »
H'mmm...

rosemarykaye

« Reply #2062 on: July 14, 2011, 12:52:29 PM »
Daniel Defoe?

Frybabe

« Reply #2063 on: July 14, 2011, 10:07:57 PM »
No, not Daniel Defoe.

Author:
British born non-fiction, novel and short story writer.
At least two of his books were made into movies, but not this one.

Book:
A tale of exploration.
The name of the program responsible for this exploration was used by NASA when they initiated a similar project that is still ongoing.

roshanarose

« Reply #2064 on: July 15, 2011, 12:10:12 AM »
Sounds a bit like Arthur C. Clarke.  I know that Childhood's End and Rendezvous with Rama were not made into movies.  Two of my favourite SF books.
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

Frybabe

« Reply #2065 on: July 15, 2011, 09:57:59 AM »
You are right, Roshanarose. Arthur C. Clarke it is, and the book is Rendezvous with Rama. Not everyone is a Scifi fan, so I thought I might get a little more mileage out of this one.

Regarding Rendezvous with Rama, Morgan Freeman was working to put together a movie project for it, but then he had is accident. Nothing came of it. Now, Freeman is hosting a series on the Science Channel called Through the Wormhole. It is nice to know that his interest in space exploration, inner or outer, is long standing. Here is the website for those who have not seen it and are interested. Episodes include such topics as the speed of light, the sixth sense, time travel, multi-dimensional space, consciousness, near death experiences, and how the universe works.  http://science.discovery.com/tv/through-the-wormhole/

rosemarykaye

« Reply #2066 on: July 15, 2011, 12:00:25 PM »
Well done Roshanarose!  As usual I had no idea... ???

Rosemary

Gumtree

« Reply #2067 on: July 15, 2011, 12:19:16 PM »
Good one Frybabe - way out of my league anyway...

Roshanarose: didn't know you were into sci fi - or did I?

Frybabe

« Reply #2068 on: July 15, 2011, 01:13:08 PM »
I forgot to mention that Clarke devised a program called Project Spaceguard that was to detect near-earth objects likely to be a collision hazard to earth. This program, in the book, was what detected the Rama object. In 1992, the Congressional report, named Spaceguard Survey Report, led to a mandate to NASA to locate 90% of the near earth asteroids within 10 years. A number of countries have started similar projects. Here is a like to the UK site. http://www.spaceguarduk.com/
One sponsored by the ESA: http://www.esa.int/esaMI/NEO/SEMS58OVGJE_0.html  Here is a Spaceguard page from Australia. I think it is sponsored by the Australian Planetary Society. http://users.tpg.com.au/users/tps-seti/spacegd.html There are others.

PS: These projects became more important (and less laughed at) after the Shoemaker-Levy Comet hit Jupiter.

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #2069 on: July 15, 2011, 08:02:02 PM »
Excellent, Roshanarose.  Congratulations!

Thanks for the link. I've never been a fan of Science Fiction, perhaps because I did not explore it long enough.

Years ago, in the former WREX (Writers' Exchange) in SenNet, we had two contributors, one a Canadian female writer of science fiction;  the other an incredibly versatile male writer of Irish ancestry who wrote long chapter novels on space travel,  other futuristic matters, historic fiction on native Indian history (that was his true love, I believe),  as well as humorous short stories onany number of topics.

The then-leader brought the group over to SN from AOL, and she retained total control of the material. At regular intervals, the participants would e-mail their entries to her, and she then forwarded them to the rest of us. We in turn had to critique the entries  --  which was not always easy.  (The Irish writer was miraculously exempted from this requirement. )  The DL's stated objective was to get the pieces into
the proper "shape" for publication. (That too was not always easy and  sometimes impossible.) Ah - temi passati.

checked the "Wormhole" and it looks very informative. On the topic of Necromancy I had to think of Madame Blavatsky...

Frybabe,  in Edith Wharton.  She is perhaps best known for her books on New York society around the turn of the century
Several years ago we discussed The House of Mirth in this forum. I'd like to describe it as a period piece, and probably a very good depiction of NY society and its mores and unwritten rules. It was a long way from there to the glass ceiling for women.
I felt incapable of empathy for Lily who has only two goals, to marry, and well, and to acquire great wealth.  She could have avoided what happened to her if she had shown more common sense. After all, she was 29.
The (not so veiled) antisemitic sentiment expressed in the book had a distinctly negative impression on me.
One thing, of course, has not changed : we still worship at he altar of money.

Wharton's property,  The Mount  near Lenox, Massachusetts, has fallen into disrepair in the last decades.  But a new foundation has been raising money for the restoration of the great house an gardens.

The only other book by Wharton I've read is Ethan Frome , written in 1911 and based on the tragedy of a poor rural Massachusetts family.

roshanarose

« Reply #2070 on: July 15, 2011, 11:08:58 PM »
omg !!!  I am not really a fan of SF at all, Gumtree.  My ex, though adored SF and in particular Arthur C. Clarke.  He almost had to hold me down to get me to read the two books I mentioned above.  ::)  The trade off was that he had to read "Brave New World" and "Jane Eyre" he loved BNW, but not so much Jane Eyre. ;)

Time, time _ I need time to prepare for my next quiz.

Gumtree

« Reply #2071 on: July 16, 2011, 06:13:20 AM »
Traude: Sad to read about Wharton's home and gardens falling into disrepair. Shows how difficult it really is for humans  to leave that kind of mark on the landscape. Hopefully, restoration will enable generations to come to enjoy her achievement.  Makes me wonder what happened to her garden in France.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #2072 on: July 16, 2011, 12:21:00 PM »
Well, my face should be red. :-[  I just finished reading Rendezvous with Rama for my f2f sci-fi discussion group, and I even knew about Spaceguard.

Good job, Roshanarose!

roshanarose

« Reply #2073 on: July 17, 2011, 09:29:27 PM »
Thanks Pat :)  Just give me one more day.  In White Rabbit mode just now.

roshanarose

« Reply #2074 on: July 18, 2011, 10:41:34 PM »
Greetings carbon-based bipeds! (Apologies to Arthur C. Clarke)

Ok.  Off we go!

Author:  A famous and controversial author.

Character:  Achieved fame before this book was written.

Book:  The plot revolves around preparation for a long journey.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #2075 on: July 19, 2011, 05:11:05 PM »
The usual baffling first set of clues.  ???

roshanarose

« Reply #2076 on: July 19, 2011, 10:00:14 PM »
Author:  A famous and controversial author.
Earlier in his life he had been a successful reporter.
Has a BA and a PhD

Character:  Achieved fame before this book was written.
Actively participated in WWII.

Book:  The plot revolves around preparation for a long journey.
The book is based on a series of interviews with the participants.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #2077 on: July 20, 2011, 02:34:23 AM »
 ???  ???

Rosemary

Gumtree

« Reply #2078 on: July 20, 2011, 04:45:05 AM »
Sounds like this  is not fiction - Did the participants also go on the 'long journey'?

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #2079 on: July 20, 2011, 08:48:27 AM »
I agree, Gum.  Is this non-fiction?

Studs Terkel?   The Good War?