Author Topic: Author! Author!  (Read 353991 times)

Frybabe

Re: Author! Author!
« Reply #2960 on: May 06, 2012, 08:25:24 PM »
I am thinking French. There were plenty of French writer/politicians, but I can't fit the few French authors that I know into the clues.

roshanarose

« Reply #2961 on: May 07, 2012, 01:20:24 AM »
Candide by Voltaire
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

JudeS

« Reply #2962 on: May 07, 2012, 02:31:18 PM »
I will be away for the next ten days. We are driving to the Shakespear festival in Ashland Oregon with some friends.

Good guessing!

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #2963 on: May 07, 2012, 02:54:22 PM »
Roshanarose, sorry, not Voltaire.

He was one of my earlier puzzles (for Candidide), and Frybabe solved it speedily.

Jude,  enjoy your time at the Shakespearefestival.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2964 on: May 08, 2012, 03:19:09 PM »
Yes, sounds great!

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #2965 on: May 08, 2012, 07:43:38 PM »
The following additional clues should reveal the solution.

In the author's century,  (the 19th), the author's native country experienced violent political upheaval.
The author felt compelled to change his allegiance.
He left the country and lived in exile for a number if years, refusing to return even after a general amnesty was proclaimed.

He was still in exile when the book was published (in Belgium).
The voluminous novel, in which the author elaborated also on many issues of his time, has lived on, adapted many times for the stage, even a film.

The themes of his books have inspired many composers of his time, among them Fauré, Rachmaninoff, and Wagner.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #2966 on: May 08, 2012, 08:01:36 PM »
That's got to give it away.  Why am I not coming up with it?

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #2967 on: May 08, 2012, 08:35:51 PM »
PatH,
The title consists of two French words. One of them is an English adjective.

The book reveals the author's concern for the down-trodden, the right to justice and the grace of redemption.

P.S. When Rosemary suggested Balzac, the country was 'right'.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #2968 on: May 09, 2012, 03:07:19 AM »
Victor Hugo, Les Miserables (or as it now seems to be known, 'Les Mis'...)?

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #2969 on: May 09, 2012, 09:39:58 AM »
HURRAH. ROSEMARY ! We have a WINNER

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #2970 on: May 09, 2012, 08:56:39 PM »
Congratulations again, Rosemary.

Les Misérables has been translated variously also as The Wretched, The Poor Ones, The Wretched Poor, and The Victims  before becoming the definitive title.

The story begins in 1815 with the main protagonist Jean Valjean, just released from prison after serving  nineteen years; five of them for stealing a loaf of bread for his starving sister and her family, and fourteen as punishment for his repeated and always unsuccessful escapes. There are 10 major characters and more than twice as many minor ones. Separate parts carry the names of major characters, one of them a little girl, Cosette,  pictured on many covers of Les Misérables, standing in deep water apparently in a hovel of a home with a look of utterhelplessness,  holding a broom that would be enormous even on the hand of an adult.

Victor Hugo, 1802-1885, wrote  poetry from an early age and  was an ardent admirer of François René count of Chateaubriand), (1768-1848) who is considered the forerunner of French Romanticism. Hugo's youthful passion and eloquence brought early successes, especially Odes et Ballades, but  IMHO the depth of  the much later Les Misérables is more akin to  the realism of Emile Zola  than Chateaubriand's effusive, rather self-involved romantic melancholy.

In 1841 Hugo was (finally) elected to join the Académie Française, the illustrious body who are members for life.  Some of them had fought hard to keep Hugo and his "romantic evolution" out.
He served in the General Assembly of France and initially supported the  restoration of the Bourbons after the death of Napoleon Bonaparte.   But when Napoleon III. seized power in 1851 and established an anti-parliamentary constitution, Hugo openly branded him a a traitor to France.  Then he left France, went first to Brussels, then settled with his family in Saint Peter Port  in Guernsey. There he published anti-royalist pamphlets, that were banned in France, finished Les Misérables and continued to write. The book was publishedin Belgium in

Not only the critics resented the novel,  several writers did too, among them  Gustave Flaubert  who said it contained "neither truth nor greatness.  And Charles Baudelaire  ( (The Flowers of Evil = Les fleurs du mal) castigate L.M. in private as "tasteless and inept".

But posterity had other ideas, and the work has remained popular and had many adaptations in the modern media.

Thank you for participating.

roshanarose

« Reply #2971 on: May 09, 2012, 10:16:49 PM »
Jolly Good Going Rosemary!
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

Frybabe

« Reply #2972 on: May 09, 2012, 11:30:14 PM »
Wonderful catch, Rosemary.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #2973 on: May 24, 2012, 12:19:50 PM »
For those getting fed up with waiting for me to set the next quiz, many apologies.  I had to submit my final OU assignment this week (now done - hooray) and I am having major dental problems at the moment (returned to dentist this morning for second stage of root canal treatment on one tooth only to be told that the adjacent one was infected, so had to have all of that dug out too - yuk.  Now have to wait till 21st June for both second stage treatments, and am just hoping nothing else goes wrong in between.  It's not been nice!)

I have thought of 2 possible quizzes today but on checking found both of them had already been used.  I will continue to try to come up wit something, but if in the meantime anyone else wants a go, you are more than welcome!

Thanks for your patience,

Rosemary

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2974 on: May 24, 2012, 01:49:54 PM »
OUCH!

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #2975 on: May 24, 2012, 06:11:22 PM »
Rosemary,

The same fate befell me last year when three (3) of my incisors needed root canal treatment -- and caps.   arrrrrg

Good luck !

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #2976 on: May 26, 2012, 10:50:54 AM »
Eeeeew, Rosemary.  No fun.  We'll wait, take your time.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #2977 on: June 08, 2012, 01:19:21 PM »
At last, here I am:

Author:      Born and died in the 19th century

Book:        Was written very quickly, and became an immediate bestseller

Character: Is unmarried

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #2978 on: June 08, 2012, 02:12:44 PM »
Hooray, Rosemary.  I was just about to give up.  Can't, of course, guess it from those slender clues.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #2979 on: June 08, 2012, 04:17:59 PM »
I know Pat, sorry for the delay. It's just been one minor thing after another here - but thank goodness no toothache at the moment (I hardly like to say that...).

Anyway, more clues tomorrow.

Rosemary

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2980 on: June 09, 2012, 05:07:01 PM »
There's nothing like a toothache to make you appreciate no toothache!

rosemarykaye

« Reply #2981 on: June 09, 2012, 05:22:52 PM »
You said it Joan!

More clues:

Author:    Born and died in the 19th century
               Suffered poor health since childhood

Book:      Was written very quickly, and became an immediate bestseller
               Has been frequently adapted for screen and stage

Is a professional person

Frybabe

« Reply #2982 on: June 10, 2012, 07:29:58 AM »
The sickly rings a bell, but I think there were more than a few that were considered sickly either went children or through their entire lives. Still thinking.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #2983 on: June 11, 2012, 06:53:53 AM »
More clues:

Author:    Born and died in the 19th century
               Suffered poor health since childhood
               Came from a family with a very particular profession, the products of which can still be seen in the UK today

Book:      Was written very quickly, and became an immediate bestseller
               Has been frequently adapted for screen and stage
               Is fiction, but examines philosophical issues

Is a professional person
                 Narrates the story, but is not the main character in it

Frybabe

« Reply #2984 on: June 11, 2012, 07:32:07 AM »
My offering:

Robert Lewis Stevenson
The Strange Case of Dr. Jeykll and Mrs. Hyde

rosemarykaye

« Reply #2985 on: June 11, 2012, 07:45:28 AM »
HOORAH!!!!

WINNER!!!
[/color]Yes, it's The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde, which I recently read for the first time to try to get daughter through Higher English (my help was then spurned... :)).  

Robert Louis Stevenson was part of the Stevenson family of lighthouse designers.  His father Thomas designed lots of them, including Fidra, which stands on an island opposite our local beach, Yellowcraig:

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.scottishradiance.com/light/fidra.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.scottishradiance.com/light/light0405.htm&h=438&w=600&sz=78&tbnid=N0B9KTwAyoO96M:&tbnh=92&tbnw=126&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dfidra%2Blighthouse%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=fidra+lighthouse&usg=__M7ws6MjjQvc-JN3F0XUvYUUyvWs=&docid=-hcEmiYnsUFo6M&sa=X&ei=TNnVT-mgEcej8gOtw_mbAw&ved=0CGsQ9QEwAg&dur=363

RLS allegedly wrote the first draft of the novella in 3 days, then burnt it and wrote the second draft in an equally short space of time.

The character is Mr Utterson, a lawyer and semi-reclusive man, who is a friend of Jekyll's, and who at first thinks that Mr Hyde is blackmailing him.  He eventually finds out what has really happened.

Well done and over to you (sigh of relief) Frybabe.

Rosemary

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #2986 on: June 11, 2012, 12:55:09 PM »
Good job guessing, Frybabe, and good quiz, Rosemary.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2987 on: June 11, 2012, 02:45:06 PM »
WOW! I had no idea RLS came from a family of lighthouse designers! I had no idea that lighthouse designing was a proffession, but of course when you think of it -----.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #2989 on: June 11, 2012, 03:47:14 PM »
Beautiful picture Joan, and a great place to have a memorial.  I have been to Point Reyes but not to this one.

When we were at the Edinburgh College of Art graduate show on Saturday, one of the design students had based her work on a book called Stargazing, which I hadn't heard of before but I've now looked it up:

http://www.amazon.com/Stargazing-Memoirs-Young-Lighthouse-Keeper/dp/1841956511

I think it sounds interesting.

I heard a radio play last year about a lighthouse.  It was a fictionalised version of a true story, and I as I recall it, it was about 2 lighthouse keepers whose bodies were found in a lighthouse off the Scottish coast in the early 1900s.  This play suggested that what might have happened was that the younger man was having an affair with the younger man's wife - so they fought, one of them was killed (whether accidentally or deliberately) and the survivor then killed himself.  As a result, from then on lighthouses were always manned by 3 men rather than just 2.

My children used to love a picture book we had called The Lighthouse Keeper's Lunch - about a lighthouse keeper whose wife sends his sandwiches across from their mainland home on a pulley every day.  The seagulls always steal his food, so in the end she makes mustard sandwiches just to put them off.  It has lovely illustrations:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lighthouse-Keepers-Lunch-Picture-books/dp/0590551752

We also used to have a children's video called Portland Bill, about the characters that live in a lighthouse, and others that live in the nearby village.  All the characters are named after shipping forecast areas; the dog is - unsurprisingly - called Dogger:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Adventures-Portland-Bill-Interference/dp/B000NTPCEC/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1339443872&sr=1-1

We all loved it: it had a lot of all-age jokes.

Lighthouses definitely have a special fascination.  We don't have any manned ones in the UK any more - are there any in the US?

Rosemary

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2990 on: June 11, 2012, 05:08:33 PM »
There are some in isolated spots where the lighthouse keepers cottage has been made into an inn, where people can stay for vacations away from it all. But as far as I know, the lights are all run automatically. I don't know what triggers the one in the picture to sound its foghorn: moisture in the air, maybe. I've been there on beautiful sunny days when the foghorn was sounding.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #2991 on: June 11, 2012, 05:10:38 PM »
Just realised that I did of course mean 'an affair with the older man's wife' in my last post.

Frybabe

« Reply #2992 on: June 11, 2012, 05:59:38 PM »
Okay I found one off the beaten track so to speak. Hope you all can rise to the challenge.

Author: Nobel Prize Winner

Book: Autobiographical novel, translation published in English two years ago

Character: A novelist in his sixties.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2993 on: June 12, 2012, 03:08:25 PM »
Oh,we read it. The old man going through his attic, looking at American comic books that sustained him during World War II. What was it? Can't remember either the name or the author.

Frybabe

« Reply #2994 on: June 12, 2012, 07:15:05 PM »
That sounds interesting JoanK, but not anywhere near what I have in mind. Sorry!

Was only a boy of six or there abouts when WWII broke out.

Book: Autobiographical novel, translation published in English two years ago
          The first of a trilogy

His friend commits suicide

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #2995 on: June 12, 2012, 10:43:52 PM »
Everything I've thought of so far was written in English.  Of course, if someone gets desperate, they could always look up a list of Nobel Prize winners, but that's no fun.

Frybabe

« Reply #2996 on: June 13, 2012, 07:17:27 AM »
PatH, okay with me if you look it up. The author may not be that well known in this country, and his latest book was only published in English two years ago. More clues this afternoon.

Frybabe

« Reply #2997 on: June 13, 2012, 03:32:11 PM »
            Was only a boy of six or there abouts when WWII broke out.
            Many of his novels are autobiographical in nature and often include dealing with raising a brain damaged child

Book: Autobiographical style novel
         Published in his native country in 2000, the translation was published in English 2010
         The first of a trilogy
         Introspective, existential, philosophical are words used to describe the nature and flow of the book.

His friend, a noted filmmaker and his brother in law, commits suicide
                Through the tapes his friend sent and reminiscences he tries to piece together why his friend committed suicide

Please feel free to research. Like I said, I don't think the author is very well known in this country.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #2998 on: June 13, 2012, 03:48:22 PM »
I won't have to research.  Your third author clue gave it to me; it's Kenzaburo Oe.  I don't know the name of the book, though.  Anybody?

JudeS

« Reply #2999 on: June 13, 2012, 04:09:11 PM »
The book is "The Changeling".
THe author is one of my favorites and have read everything he wrote except this last book.

His works were translated into English before 2000. Although what the exact dates are I would have to research.

I would recommend him to anyone who has an interest in the inner workings of family life and how the strengths and weaknesses of each member influences their joint family life.