Author Topic: Our Wild Days: Creating the Good Life on SeniorLearn  (Read 26103 times)

PatH

• BooksDL
Re: Our Wild Days: Creating the Good Life on SeniorLearn
« Reply #120 on: August 23, 2015, 04:27:58 PM »

Regardless if you've posted with us for 20 years or joined us 2 months ago, help us capture our golden "Wild Days" as we celebrate the memories of our best and memorable experiences discussing books together on SeniorLearn. Yes, "life is Good."

We have a "Plan" for celebrating our memories - "The Plan" helps us focus but more, "The Plan" is designed to assure that we give texture to our many memories regardless of books read and discussed last month, last year, or going on 20 years ago.

"The Plan" - Every two days, new topics will be introduced - If a forgotten memory creeps in days later feel free to post adding more depth to the focus questions we had featured earlier in our Legacy discussion.

Questions to help us Focus our Memories

Memory Jog
Monday and Tuesday Where you a part of the Prison initiative that was also supported by Wally Lamb when he was instrumental in supporting the women writing their stories? Tell us about it?
  – Where you a part of sending children's books to the Indian Reservation? Tell us about it?

Aug. 24 ~ 25 What snapshot of your "Wild Days" and the Good Life reading on SeniorLearn lives in your heart that you want to leave us with as your gift to all of us.

If you have just joined us or need a reminder, here are the questions from the past few days.

• Monday & Tuesday: While reading with us which discussions provided a profound moment for you? Was it because of new information or an aha way of looking at things or noticing for the first time the beauty of the words or reading how others saw the story similar or very different from how you saw it?
  • Do you remember the first book that you joined SeniorLearn? Were you nervous or so filled with thoughts you just had to share – Tell us what you remember?
  • Which discussion provided you with the more memorable feeling of a shared community? Tell us about it.

• Wednesday & Thursday: Which book do you remember not being able to contain yourself and sitting down reading the entire book in one swoop and then tried to post as if you did not know what happens next.
  • Of the books you've read, which would you have liked to magically enter and as what character – would you have changed any part of the story? How would your change have affected the outcome?
  • What kind of devise do you use when you post – do you eat or drink while posting, what do you enjoy? If you post on a full size computer, in what room is it located or, if a handheld device do you post from home or on the road? Tell us how you 'pull up your chair' - Are you still in your jammies or do you post after chores are done? Do you read during the day, before bed or in bed?

• Saturday & Sunday: Which of the stories we have read reminded you of events from your life? What in your mind was the wildest, off beat story that we discussed?
  • Of the many authors who posted while we read one of their books, did any one author stand out for you and if so tell us how and why?
  • Do you usually buy or borrow - Buyers, after the discussion do you hang on to the book, give it away or even sell it? Borrowers, when you return it, do you tell those in the library about any of the tidbits we shared during our discussion?

• Monday & Tuesday: Do you track the books you have read or the books you plan to read? Do you have a stack of books TBR? While reading do you underline passages or slip a marker to note certain phrases. If you keep your books do you ever go back to find some passage half remembered. Is there one book above all others with the most saved passages?
  • Are there any discussions that you did not join and now regret you did not read the book with the group? Which book is it that you regret not joining? Have you since read it or, is it still in your TBR pile?
  • Have you read a book on your own and then turned to the archived discussion after or while reading the book? Did that help or open your eyes to new and different aspects of the story?
  • Had you seen the movie of a book we were discussing before the discussion and if so, did it make a difference how you understood the story and the characters? Most movies reduce the number of subplots to one overall issue raised in the story. Did you notice this in any movie you saw before or after we discussed the book? Did the movie focus the narrative for you or did you feel the story was changed or incomplete?

• Wednesday - Saturday: – 10 of your favorite books – 10 of your favorite Books read and discussed on SeniorNet/Learn – 10 of your favorite authors – 10 of your favorite characters – 10 of your favorite movies that were books – 10 of your favorite phrases from the books we have read – 10 new bits of information you learned from our book discussions. – 10 of your favorite or most remembered discussions here on SeniorLearn.

• Memorial Day - Finding past contributors and noting if they passed

Need a memory nudge? Here are links to our Archived Discussions. SeniorNet books are listed alphabetically and NOT by the discussion date. SeniorLearn discussions are listed by date. 

Discussion Leader: Barb

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #121 on: August 23, 2015, 04:28:31 PM »
Someone I miss is TraudeS--an extremely interesting woman.  She stopped posting when her eyesight got too bad.
Marni disappeared after her father died--I suspect got too busy, the never came back.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #122 on: August 23, 2015, 04:37:52 PM »
Another name I have not seen in months is bluebird24 - do we know anything?

Thanks Pat - I'll get the heading up - whew that went fast...
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #123 on: August 23, 2015, 05:58:21 PM »
Does anyone know anything about JOan Roberts.  She was at both the SeniorLearn New York get-togethers and we connected also when I visited my NY girls, and visited a Middle EAstern Museum whose name  I can't remember.  I've wondered about her ever since Super Storm Sandy.

Joan's husband made stained glass windows for their home on Long Island and she provided a picture of one of them for the Clara and Mr. Tiffany discussion.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #124 on: August 23, 2015, 06:13:02 PM »
bluebird was always an occasional visitor.  She was fairly active in the Alice in Wonderland discussion a year ago, not sure I've seen her since.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #125 on: August 23, 2015, 06:56:19 PM »
Found more names -

Claire – may not have made it over – posted in Absalom

Charlie W – passed

SpringCreekFarm - didn't make it over but still posts on Senior and Friends

AnnThamm

Shasta Sills

June Miller

Charlotte J. Snitzer - passed July 5, 2000 at 79 years old.

Carolyn Andersen from Norway – may not have made it over

Betty Gregory – passed – such a positive upbeat contributor

Marg Mavor

Katie Jaques

Nellie Vrolyk - doing her thing probably writing

Marvelle

vanessa1166

Malryn (Mal) – passed – I think she was from Boston – a heavy contributor

Horselover

Lorrie - passed

Frugal

HarrietM
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #126 on: August 23, 2015, 07:40:19 PM »
Lorrie passed away some years ago.

SpringCreekFarm is alive and well and posts often on another website.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #127 on: August 23, 2015, 07:54:50 PM »
Nellie Vrolyk was already off the site when I joined in 2004.  She had minded the Science Fiction site I took over a few years later.  She was also a writer, and I suspect she wanted to spend more time on that.  I googled her occasionally, but haven't done so lately.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #128 on: August 23, 2015, 08:18:53 PM »
thanks changed the list to reflect what y'all have just shared -

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #129 on: August 23, 2015, 08:22:14 PM »
Found Charlotte Snitzer looks like she has passed - July 5, 2000 at 79 years old.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #130 on: August 23, 2015, 08:58:29 PM »
Joyous is now Joy, and is in a retirement complex in Louisiana .  She still posts occasionally in bosom buddies on seniors and friends.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

bellamarie

« Reply #131 on: August 23, 2015, 10:01:05 PM »
Here are some names I discussed a few books with and have not seen their names in years.  Good luck Barb, because this looks like a huge task to accomplish.  Hope this helps some.  Please forgive me if there are repeats.

Markov
Barbi
Marjv
Babi
Straudetwo
Judy Laird
Janice
EvelynMC
kidsal
Lou2
Malryn (Mal)
Marvelle
viogert
Carolyn Andersen
GingerWright
jane
MmeW
Andrea Flannery
SarahT
marylou
JudytheKay
southcoast
Louise Licht
betty gregory
Larry Hanna
MarjV
EllenM
Lorrie
Artemis
1amparo
mabel1015j
CathieS
sierraroseCA
piker
Scrawler
lgrod
Mippy
Ann Alden
joynclarence
colkots
marni0308
Edith Anne
ellen c
seattle
joynclarence

Three people who come to my mind, and I know you already have their names, that I truly miss are, Deems, hats, and Gumtree.  I hope they are lurking, or peeking in on us in spirit.
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #132 on: August 24, 2015, 12:18:18 AM »
Ok I will take care of the ones we have already found and the ones who are regulars posting on this site

Markov
Barbi
Marjv - Marj posts regularly
Babi - much loved passed a couple of years ago
Straudetwo - PatH shared above when her eyes got bad she stopped posting with us
Judy Laird - posts with us - she travels a lot
Janice - posts with us although has not posted this summer
EvelynMC
kidsal - is from Wyoming and has been posting regularly with us.
Lou2
Malryn (Mal) - passed
Marvelle
viogert
Carolyn Andersen is from Norway and cannot find anything
GingerWright - posts regularly on Senior and Friends
jane - Jane is our wonderful Jane that keeps us safe from hackers and puts up and takes down headings and and and
MmeW
Andrea Flannery - is our Andy - retired and living in Florida
SarahT
marylou
JudytheKay
southcoast
Louise Licht
betty gregory - passed a few years ago
Larry Hanna - headed our tech page forever and still posts with us
MarjV - is already on the list
EllenM - I believe Ellen is Flajean who posts with us.
Lorrie - passed
Artemis
1amparo
mabel1015j - Jean posts with us just about every day
CathieS
sierraroseCA
piker
Scrawler
lgrod
Mippy
Ann Alden - Annie is who you are planning to meet when y'all visit Ella.
joynclarence
colkots - I believe is CallieinOK
marni0308 - we learned after Marni's father died she has not been as active
Edith Anne
ellen c
seattle
joynclarence - Joy we learned earlier is living in Louisiana and posts with Senior and Friends

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #133 on: August 24, 2015, 01:58:47 AM »
Memory Jog
Monday and Tuesday Where you a part of the Prison initiative that was also supported by Wally Lamb when he was instrumental in supporting the women writing their stories? Tell us about it?
  – Where you a part of sending children's books to the Indian Reservation? Tell us about it?

Aug. 24 ~ 25 What snapshot of your "Wild Days" and the Good Life reading on SeniorLearn lives in your heart that you want to leave us with as your gift to all of us.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #134 on: August 24, 2015, 09:16:09 AM »
Barb, EllenM is not FlaJean (me).  ;)

bellamarie

« Reply #135 on: August 24, 2015, 09:41:56 AM »
Thanks Barb for the updates.  I was a bit overwhelmed just seeing the names from the past and realizing we have not heard from them for so long.  I am not sure what Senior and Friends is.  Good luck you are doing a great job!
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #136 on: August 24, 2015, 09:44:17 AM »
Edith Anne: Latin student, retired due to illness

Mippy: Latin student, is on Facebook

Louise Licht: Was connected with SeniorNet, and a learning center, was a bright light. Lost touch with her at least 10 years ago.

SarahT: A judge in California, she dropped out  a long time ago when she moved.

kidsal : Sally is a Latin student who is here.

1amparo: lived in Australia and came to  the SeniorNet conference in DC.

bellamarie

« Reply #137 on: August 24, 2015, 09:58:21 AM »
My snapshot I will leave as a gift to SeniorLearn is this: 

I will always hold dear to my heart each and everyone of you past, present and future who have shared your time, thoughts, beliefs, talents and knowledge while discussing our wonderful books.  I will keep a snapshot memory picturing each of you in your tees, sweats, sweatshirts, slippers, robes, or any other comfy clothes you wear as you begin your day with us. As I drink my cup of coffee with my hazelnut cream, and have my morning blueberry muffin while I scan your daily posts, I will picture each of you with your cup of favorite morning drink and feel the friendships we have formed over the years here at Senior Learn.  The most warm feelings I keep with me is of Gumtree giving me a vision of Australia, and the one thing I will always hold dear is the warm welcome I received from each of you.  I won't try to find who it was, or the exact words, since it was so long ago but the one phrase that has been lasting to me is reading...........

"Come join us, pull up a chair, crumpets and tea are awaiting you."

You all have made life a little more interesting, bearable, and knowledgeable for me and many.  May our thirst for knowledge never cease, and may our memories never fade. 

Ciao for now~

Yep, this is me, with my Shih Tzu Sammy, my favorite blanket, computer, ipad, iphone, notepad, my coffee with hazelnut cream in my favorite cup, with my favorite scripture, "Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."  I'm wearing my favorite tee (Kappa Delta 5k run I participated in for my granddaughter's sorority, and my Michigan plaid shorts that have to be at least 20 yrs old, and of course...barefoot since it's summer! I am still trying to figure out how to upload pics so I am sorry this is so large.  One day I will figure out resizing pics.

P.S.  Thank you Barb for leading us into a wonderful look back to "Our Wild Days"

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #138 on: August 24, 2015, 11:33:57 AM »
Goodness, Bellamarie, that chair looks so comfy.  Can you clone it?

bellamarie

« Reply #139 on: August 24, 2015, 11:55:32 AM »
PatH., I bashfully admit, I have gone through a few chairs.  This is my newest one.  I kept this footstool, and made a new cover for it to match the chair because my dog Sammy would never forgive me if I took away his favorite place to sleep.  What is not in the pic is my basket of pens, highlighters, notebooks, and other reading material at the side of this chair.  It is very comfy, and I spend way too much time here.  But then, I am retired and have earned this time for ME!   ;)

mabel1015j

« Reply #140 on: August 24, 2015, 12:20:53 PM »
Bellemarie - that's a perfect statement. I think we can all say "ditto" to how important SL has been to us.

Jean

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #141 on: August 24, 2015, 12:33:13 PM »
It wasn't joynclarence, but joyous who is in Louisiana.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #142 on: August 24, 2015, 02:16:12 PM »
ouch EllenM is not FlaJean sorry - FlaJean were you a part of the Chicago bash - because that is where I think I have the memory of meeting Ellen and you look much like I remember Ellen looking - now I could be wrong on all counts here - we are talking memory that is not always accurate - but I thought Ellen was from Boston and brought her daughter with her and she was the mother of a rather large family - I know you FlaJean live in Florida but I did not think that was where you always lived - help me out please - did you live in Boston or am I totally Flummoxed just trying to sort out if we ever met.

Maryz thanks - I was under the impression that Joy was widowed and used to sign in with both their names and after Clarence died became Joy at times and Joyous at other times -  :-\ - yes/no please, heeelp.

Ginny thanks for helping us out with a few of the names we still had not found a connection - that was a real help - we sure have had some wonderful minds sharing their riches over the years.

Fabulous corner and photo showing us in your reading corner Bellamaria - so you like cream in your coffee - I am not for the cream but love flavored coffees - I know, so gauche for coffee drinkers but hay, it is a lovely taste - and like Pat says that is one comfy looking chair.

We had one cooler day last week and already, although the temps are back up in the high 90s, the sun has a different slant on the tree leaves that says to me the season is about to change - we do not experience anything less then the high temps till the end of September or early October and then it is mild, 80s high 70s, often till Christmas with maybe a couple of days here and there when a 3 day norther pushes through, so that the talk of a colorful Autumn is delayed as it is for those among us who live in Florida but it is nice to know many of you are soon to be seeing the riot of color trees put on - all to say the Autumn with all its rich color is a good metaphor for what we have here on SenoirLearn - a rich and colorful history with readers who share their riches with us when we discuss a book.

I was struck reading some of the archived discussions how we would sprinkle in a fuller explanation of some of the aspects of reading literature - like one post explaining foreshadowing and another alliteration - just a review of our history can put us on our toes because I notice the Glossary of Lit is on the bottom of my pile where it used to be on top just under the book I was reading along with a thick dictionary - I've been turning to the computer here of late for a dictionary which means saving the word till I leave my reading spot - hmm - I used to immediately check on words before going to the next sentence - liked that and I like flipping the pages - think I will get both books back up on top.   

Jean I was curious - how has your reading of the archived Durant discussions been going - were you able sit long enough to preview a discussion and are you now going to start reading the series or will the archived discussions do it for you?

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #143 on: August 24, 2015, 02:22:02 PM »
That might be the case, Barb ( about Joy). I don't know. 

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #144 on: August 24, 2015, 02:39:54 PM »
Oh that is funny thanks ever Maryz - trying to piece together recent history we may as well be piecing together someone's roots - oh oh hahahaha

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #145 on: August 24, 2015, 03:21:48 PM »
Winsom (Claire)  is still going strong, and still painting. I talk to her on the phone a couple of times a week, and have been to see her. (she lives about 60 miles South of  me in San Clemente).

JudeS and her husband stopped to see me a few years ago, and we had a wonderful time talking about everything. But I've lost track of her.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #146 on: August 24, 2015, 03:57:28 PM »
Ah so -  I wonder if Winsom is the Claire that posted in some of our early discussions before the year 2000

Seems to me I sorta remember that JudeS lived in San Fransisco

Thanks Joan for the update - there are still so many names but this is nice to have some idea of the folks we shared time with and exchanged our understanding of the many books we have discussed. 

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #147 on: August 24, 2015, 05:16:43 PM »
No, I lived in MD before moving to Florida and never attended a bash, but they do sound like a lot of fun.

JoanK, I remember Winsom as having very bad eyesight and was having difficulty reading the posts?  Good to know she is still doing well.

I remember FairAnna as we occasionally corresponded.  She lived in the VA town of my birth which was an interesting coincidence.  Was so sad when I heard of her passing.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #148 on: August 24, 2015, 06:09:36 PM »
Ah the separate and unique FlaJean never to be confused again with Ellen  ;) :-* - yes, Fair Anna was a dear lady and a powerhouse or kindness and activity wasn't she.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #149 on: August 25, 2015, 05:53:20 PM »
Cannot leave this discussion without sharing a very moving experience that happened years back - for December that year we did the Dylan Thomas - A Child's Christmas in Wales - it was a delightful discussion that brought back memories of childhood for a poster called Parman who was from New Jersey and to my astonishment which I shared with him in a post, he was Jewish enjoying and discussing with us this very Christian story. Not only that but he was ill and did not expect to live very much longer - he stayed with the discussion to the end contributing one special post after the other - I remember Robert was also in the discussion and a few others whose names are no longer with us - well it turned out that was the last discussion for Parman - that special experience has remained with me all these years later.

bellamarie

« Reply #150 on: August 26, 2015, 08:54:59 AM »
Thank you Barb, for leading this discussion.  It was nice to wander back and remember, books, events, and most of all the wonderful members who are no longer with us, and of course those who are still posting.  I will leave you with the one statement I put in my snapshot post:

May our thirst for knowledge never cease, and may our memories never fade.

Looking forward to our next book discussion.
Ciao for now~

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #151 on: August 26, 2015, 09:19:21 AM »
This has been a wonderful reminiscence of our history, who and what we are, our accomplishments, memories, experiences.  But that’s just the start, and the future is ahead of us.  We’re about to enter our third decade.  What’s most important to us now?  Where should we focus, what paths should we take?

Everyone, what do you see ahead, what’s important to you now, for our future?

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #152 on: August 26, 2015, 06:42:47 PM »
What's important for our future?

First, to bring new people in. I'm sure there are many Seniors out there for whom this site will mean as much as it has to us, but who don't know about it. Do any of you have suggestions?

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #153 on: August 27, 2015, 12:33:18 PM »
Just a quick memory for Ped'ln.  Joan Roberts wrote me a few years telling me she was on oxygen 24/7.  Said she could still cook because her connection to her oxy tube reached the kitchen.  Haven't heard from since.
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #154 on: August 27, 2015, 01:35:07 PM »
But while you're in here, Annie, in our third decade, do you see us doing much the same sort of thing, changing emphasis, branching off in new directions, or what?

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #155 on: August 27, 2015, 05:27:54 PM »
Pat I just got off the phone with a small group of us who are talking about a legacy plan for a rather large tract of land east of town - the questions for the meeting were decided and I thought these same questions could apply to your posts about our future - if we replace the word land with SeniorLearn some of the questions could work. Here are the few that I thought would work since they do not have to do with a legacy for grandchildren or hunting and fishing access or legal interests or planning for future stewardship.

What does the SeniorLearn (land) mean to you?
What do you value most about SeniorLearn (your land)?
What would they like to manage, protect, or conserve?
What would you like to see happen to SeniorLearn (your land) in the future?
What would you NOT like to see happen in the future?

CallieOK

« Reply #156 on: August 27, 2015, 09:17:57 PM »
My ears were burning so I peeked in to see if y'all were talking about me.  Sure enough -found my name mentioned!  I've always been CallieK or CallieinOk.

I've actively participated in just a few discussions- mainly because I don't usually get as involved with the "deeper meaning" of a book as most of you seem to - and the ones I remenber best are very light weight compared to the ones I see mentioned.  However, I appreciate being led in some reading directions I wouldn't think of on my own and hope to be around for a long time.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #157 on: August 27, 2015, 10:19:41 PM »
Aha thanks Callie - we'll get straight yet matching names with just the right person. So glad you cleared that up for us. If you know any of the other names that we still have not attached to any memory of who they are and where they are please share.

Ok Pat - the future - what comes to mind - when I read a book for relaxing enjoyment I do not need to discuss it - yes, it is nice to have a place like our library where we can share we have read such and such and we enjoyed it and it was thrilling or romantic or lived up to its hype or whatever - essentially a one liner or the most a paragraph describing the book and our experience reading the book.

But then differently than how Callie likes to read I do prefer to read a book where I am going to be confronted with new ideas and characters, who live differently and read about historical times when life was lived with a different set of mores that I can learn about or, a story based in current times but in a different part of the world where culture, traditions, and morals are different - or a book that digs into a set of morals that I had not experienced and it a chance to look at all sides of the moral dilemma without measuring the right or wrong only learning the basis for the choices the author gives to the characters. And I like reading about history and the history of the land to learn the small changes not included in the big picture, that give more understanding to the big picture - to have that kind of book to read I most enjoy discussing it with a group of like minded inquisitive readers that I have found all these years here on SeniorLearn and earlier on SeniorNet.

I would like us to be so entranced with constructing knowledge about the text, using symbols, language, setting, plot, character, foreshadowing, and the like that we will want to share our experiences with others and urge them to join us knowing that we will embrace their scholarship towards a deeper understanding and appreciation for humanity with all its warts and all its glory.

I know how it sounds da de dah but from my heart that is what I hope for our future.

And so that may be it - we need a book to discuss using the elements of literature to find the meaning and humanity written in a story by an author and another discussion that is sharing opinions and reactions to the story based on our own lives.

Since we have from the beginning always had a literary discussion, for a time was called the Great Books the second group would be an addition and from what I understand is a good description for how those posting in the mystery discussion are enjoying a book and sharing that enjoyment. I am thinking out loud here - so maybe we already offer the other way to discuss a book.

I know I meet new readers in groups but they are really wanting to socialize with a glass of wine or a cup of coffee or over lunch and casually talk about the book without referring to the literary devices used to analyze a book - they are sharing their thought almost as we do in the library when we give a synopsis of a book we have read and how it affected us. Where as, there was someone who I had encouraged back when we were SeniorNet but she soon dropped out because she was put off by those who wanted to give their opinion rather than finding meaning using the elements of fiction - yes, she was an English lit. educator.

Is the mystery group the answer - is it a satisfying experience or, is it too much about the mystery genre that other lighter fiction is not discussed.  I do not participate - did share my love of the cozies but at the time those in the group were into more elaborate mysteries with more depth and plot and cozies were not given any attention - since, the mystery discussion may have changed and JoanK as well as, someone who frequents the discussion would be better spokespersons.   

And as Steph said today in the Library, that we are a patient group who may not agree and therefore, we do not expect to lock step behind one opinion. I hope we can continue in that mindset.

It will be interesting to read other posts and what is important to them and what will make SeniorLearn a meaningful site.

I also hope we can continue to have Jane or someone like her who is willing to keep all the crazies off the site so we feel protected and safe posting our inner most thoughts.

Yes, it would be nice as JoanK brought up to have more active members - however, being in a business that is dependent on attracting new contacts, year in and year out, I have learned while doing the job for 35 years what it takes and it is a huge undertaking. However, to attract a few members can happen as it does in any club or business or volunteer endeavor when those who participate feel proud of their participation and want to share the experience with their friends and casual acquaintances.  Most of us have lots of friends however, we are on this site because so few of them love reading so, sharing our pride in our discussions becomes a bit more limited. But without the huge undertaking to entice strangers to this site that I think is our best hope - to share our enthusiasm with others we know and meet who love reading and discussing what they read.

Another, I think we could probably attract some new followers if we had a facebook page - however facebook lends itself to quick one liner blurbs which is not what we are all about - it is great for folks who text each other often but, facebook is not a place for discussion - now it could be a site that does little current conversation but does archive the recent book discussions, make announcements and maybe one or two other discussions that do not include folks sharing their inner most thoughts. Because I think that is what we want protected - we have this safe place to share and we do not want the whole world to easily listen to our thoughts and feelings - if they find us that is one thing but to put it out front and center as a facebook account is quite another.

Well what I do know is in September we will be discussing a very contemporary issue - our environment - and how we affect lakes. No deep literary analysis but lots to learn, share, contemplate and look at our own nearby lakes and how we enjoy them and the condition they are in that, may be better or not from our memory of the condition of 'our' lake 20 or more years ago.

bellamarie

« Reply #158 on: August 27, 2015, 11:38:49 PM »
Sometimes I do think we can over analyze a book, and not enjoy it for what it is.  While I expect to learn something while reading a book, delving into so many other areas and history can get overwhelming and cause others to shy away, lurk, rather than participate in the discussions.  By taking an inventory of who was, and still is a member of SeniorLearn, I can see there are many who are choosing not to join in the discussions. 

So if we are going to attempt to find out where we go from here for our future, I think we have to try to find out why our members are not participating in the discussions.  Is it because of the books we are choosing, is it they don't want to delve deeply into the books, is it they don't have the time, is it because we don't have enough leaders, etc., etc.  What ever the reasons, it is important we address it, and try to make what ever changes necessary so they want to participate in our book discussions. It seems over the past few years we have had so many fall to the wayside.  Why is this?  I was not aware we were changing the method for deciding on our book each month.  Was this posted somewhere and I missed it?  We have had many books that were recommended over the years, and it seems even though they did not win the votes one month, some were never brought back to be considered again.  I read voters would vote on a book, and end up not participating in the discussion.  Can we ask you don't vote unless you are going to actually participate? I personally would like to have titles to choose from, and vote on.   

We have to find out why so many have dropped out of the discussions, and try to figure out how to get them to participate again. 

CallieOK

« Reply #159 on: August 28, 2015, 12:24:07 AM »
Barb, 
I also love to read
a book where I am going to be confronted with new ideas and characters, who live differently and read about historical times when life was lived with a different set of mores that I can learn about or, a story based in current times but in a different part of the world where culture, traditions, and morals are different

reading about history and the history of the land to learn the small changes not included in the big picture, that give more understanding to the big picture

However, to casually talk about the book without referring to the literary devices used to analyze a book - they are sharing their thought almost as we do in the library when we give a synopsis of a book we have read and how it affected us.??     Yup - except on rare occasions - and then not for an extended period - that's me!! 

The discussion in which I was most active was "Empire of the Summer Moon" - mostly because I live in the region in which it took place and could help with descriptions, history, etc.   I also closely followed "Blue Highways" - atlas in hand, making notes, doing a bit of side research, etc. - but I bogged down with the analytical discussion.

I'm really not literary enough to be "entranced with constructing knowledge about the text, using symbols, language, setting, plot, character, foreshadowing, and the like".   

So I appreciate the opportunities to read....and learn...from those who are.    :)

Onward and Upward.