Author Topic: Classics Forum  (Read 352788 times)

PatH

• BooksDL
Re: Classics Forum
« Reply #1080 on: October 02, 2021, 04:38:37 PM »
CLASSICS BULLETIN BOARD

Paestum

Please share here news, clips, magazine or newspaper articles you find that would be of interest to those of us who love the classics world.

Click REGISTER at the very top of the page if you have not  yet created a username to post messages on our web site.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1081 on: October 02, 2021, 04:39:25 PM »
That is neat, Frybabe.  I wonder if they'll find any seats with one name scratched off and replaced by another.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #1082 on: October 08, 2021, 06:52:08 PM »
Mary Beard Alert!

Great stuff here!!

We have mentioned Mary Beard, presently the most celebrated Classicist of our time, author of S.P.Q.R. and many many wonderful films on Rome on Youtube,  Cambridge Don, Dame of the British Empire, Member of the Board of Trustees of the British Museum,  and a wonderful person.

She's appearing at the Isabelle Stewart Gardner Museum in Boston next Friday the 15th at 6 pm, but HARK! It's also on zoom. It costs $15, to get a place, see the link (you need the entire link,not just the blue part)  on top of the photo. It's possible they will make a film of this? But this is a chance to see her in person, if you like.

Here is the link:  https://www.gardnermuseum.org/calendar/event/titians-women-2   and scroll down:

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1083 on: October 15, 2021, 10:30:45 PM »
Did anyone actually watch the Mary Beard Zoom link?  I'm wondering how much they showed of the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum.  If you saw a lot of it, it would be two treats for the price of one.  That museum is a wonderful jumble of art, of all sorts, paintings, sculpture, furniture, artifacts, you name it.  It's all displayed the way she liked having it in her house, totally unsystematic, and poorly labelled, so you're not always sure what you're looking at, but it's all fascinating.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #1084 on: October 16, 2021, 10:30:35 AM »
 I did, and  we did not see the museum, we saw, I think, in total  3 Titian paintings, as all 6 are appearing in their latest exhibit. She was in England and it was about  12:45 am  her time when it was over. It's going to be on youtube, so everybody can see it free. I think they said there were 300 people there.

She made some excellent points on Ovid and Classics in general,  and what Titan was doing with his paintings.

It sounds delightful, however.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1085 on: October 16, 2021, 11:04:09 AM »
If you come across the YouTube do post the link here.  I'm interested both from the Ovid side and the painting side, and recently ran across something related.

Frybabe

« Reply #1086 on: October 17, 2021, 07:05:13 AM »
I'll keep an eye out for it too. Should be interesting.

Frybabe

« Reply #1087 on: November 07, 2021, 05:35:13 AM »

Frybabe

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #1090 on: November 26, 2021, 12:24:39 PM »
That's another great one!

Incredible film and mosaic.

The entire world seems to be exploding in Classical items, amazing!

Thank you for bringing them here!

Frybabe

« Reply #1091 on: December 06, 2021, 05:48:58 AM »
And yet another discovery: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/discovery-of-roman-dagger-leads-to-hundreds-more-artifacts-in-switzerland-180979122/
Tiberius and Drusus had overall command of the troops in 15BC when they began a two-pronged campaign to subdue the locals.

Frybabe

« Reply #1092 on: December 29, 2021, 07:28:16 PM »
I've encountered a number of YouTube presentations involving Vindolanda. This from the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland fascinated me. Not only did it update me on what is being excavated these days, but the lecturer presents his lecture with quite a bit of humor.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY-6QDWODLA 

Frybabe

« Reply #1093 on: January 10, 2022, 04:51:25 PM »
Here is a great clip about the Richburough Roman Fort. Makes me wish I had been there. It is enormous. Ginny, I assume you have been? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au29RJMLbFs

This guy mentions the fort poles you asked about, Ginny. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz6ONQ7kWys
Oh, yes. I rolled my eyes a bit watching it, but the info is good.

Frybabe

« Reply #1094 on: January 11, 2022, 06:45:30 PM »
I just keep finding these fun clips. Here is the Russian group IX Legio Hispania showing the guys digging a rampart. What interests me are the defensive instruments that they incorporated in and around the ditch/mound. It give you a better idea of how difficult it might have been for invaders to breach even a small encampment. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEw0tZ9DBPA This group has at least a dozen clips dedicated to the different styles of Roman helmets as well as lots on weapons training. Too bad I don't understand a word they are saying, except for a few scattered words in Latin.

Frybabe

« Reply #1095 on: February 07, 2022, 06:09:21 AM »

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #1096 on: February 07, 2022, 07:38:05 AM »
Thank you, Frybabe! Construction of that new high speed train  line apparently is the archaeological gift that keeps on giving! Over 100 sites!!!!!!!!!!  I'd be like one of those sharks following a fishing boat, following behind.  Just imagine!

Every day it seems a new and exciting find.

(I can't see Samian Ware without thinking of EF Benson's Mapp and Lucia series where Lucia talks about Samian Ware in her dig in the back yard, so funny. It's a pretty safe thing to talk about as it really sticks out from other remains, but in her case proved to be something else..... and there it is illustrated first thing in the article! If he were still alive and writing those books, she would be right there on top of it. How well he captures the vanity of all of us, all over a little bit of Samian Ware.

Thanks for this.

:)

Frybabe

« Reply #1097 on: February 07, 2022, 01:56:00 PM »
Thank you, Ginny. I was not aware of the term Samian Ware. It must be the German red ware that Lindsey Davis described in The Iron Hand of Mars (Didius Falco series). I don't remember much of the story itself, but I do remember the descriptions of the layout of a Roman fort and the red ware that was so coveted. I don't think she called it anything other than Red Ware.

I haven't read the Mapp and Lucia series. Here I thought it was another one of those British police mystery series. Wonder where I got that idea.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #1098 on: March 24, 2022, 09:36:37 AM »
:) No it's social commentary, a wonderful series.  I only came to Mapp and Lucia, all the books, after seeing the PBS series with Nigel Hawthorne and Prunella Scales and Geraldine McEwan, just loved that thing. A satire as it were of small town English village life. Priceless.

If  you all  did not get to see Mary Beard on the Ides of March in her appearance at the New York City Public Library interviewed by Tim Gunn on her book the Twelve Caesars,  you're in for a treat, it's online:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qvm9M0nPfU4&t=66s

It's called the Faces of Power, it centers on Julius Caesar, AND the Ides, and she makes some good points about Assassination and why it did not work.

Well worth your time, especially at the end when she says why she studies the classics.

Frybabe

« Reply #1099 on: March 25, 2022, 08:52:06 AM »
Thank you, Ginny. I had missed it.  I am delighted with her opening lines about how so many rebels, assassins, etc. have never made plans to go forward after they meet their immediate goal. The time to make further plans contingent upon actually meeting goals is before you reach that point not after, just as you should have contingency plans in case the approved plan fails or goes lop-sided. I'm going to go back to the beginning and watch it again when I pay closer attention to it.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #1100 on: March 27, 2022, 10:42:47 AM »
 Yes, she always makes SO many good points, and the various depictions of Caesar are wonderful, too.

And if anyone here is  not familiar with Dr. Garrett's work, Told In Stone: you may enjoy this 7 minute splendid take on what a Roman street really looked like with photos of Rome and Pompeii: parking tickets, congestion, one way streets, loading zones, which side of the road Romans drove on:  in essence,  what Roman streets were really like:   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeorUqJ7w3Q&list=RDCMUCqBiWcuTF8IaLH7wBqnihsQ&start_radio=1&rv=HeorUqJ7w3Q&t=0

There is no person here who will not learn something by  watching these  7 minutes, and he's got a whole series of these things. Spectacular stuff.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #1101 on: April 12, 2022, 11:39:37 AM »
Here is a quite spectacular new exhibit in NYC which can now be also enjoyed online:

A new exhibition at New York University’s Institute for the Study of the Ancient World, Pompeii in Color: The Life of Roman Painting, will open today (Jan. 26) and be on view through May 29 at pompeiiincolor.com

This thing has MANY facets, click on one, like the Roman Home and enjoy an animated  tour of the House of the Tragic Poet and an examination of one of the mosaics there.

Fabulous thing!

Frybabe

« Reply #1102 on: April 12, 2022, 04:51:04 PM »
Oh WOW, Ginny. Thanks so very much for the link.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #1103 on: April 13, 2022, 12:57:44 AM »
Enjoyed the link - thanks Ginny
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Frybabe

« Reply #1104 on: April 13, 2022, 07:24:58 AM »
Love seeing the compass, level/square, and the plumb bobs among the painters' tools. Never thought of seeing plumb bobs used as painters' tools. What, no pestles to go with the bowls of pigment? Some of the minerals must have taken some time to grind down to a powder fine enough to use. In the paintings you can see early attempts at perspective. The history books tend to ignore them. The use of perspective didn't re-emerge and get refined until the 15th century.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #1105 on: April 14, 2022, 10:44:05 AM »
:) So glad you both enjoyed it. I think it's wonderful in this day and age that the museums, especially with this new Covid thing back on the rise, also take the time to present it online, so we all can enjoy without having to make the trip. That's really a nice thing.

Frybabe

« Reply #1106 on: April 14, 2022, 12:37:25 PM »
I agree Ginny.

This morning I received the latest issue of The Guardian's latest newsletter, Down to Earth. In it is an article about the restoration of an irrigation system that the Muslims brought to Spain. The system was still in use until the 1980's, according to the article. Of course, that brought to mind the Roman aqueduct systems, and off I went to refresh my memory on that subject. While I knew that private household connections could be made for a fee, I didn't know (or don't remember) if farms and industry could connect. They could. And while I knew the lead to make the pipes was government regulated and stamped, I didn't know that the pipes themselves were stamped with info on the pipe's manufacturer, the installer, and the subscriber. https://www.vita-romae.com/ancient-roman-aqueducts.html

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #1107 on: April 14, 2022, 05:07:45 PM »
Interesting I knew there was irrigation in the homes and gardens installed by the Muslims but did not know the system extended beyond the homes of individuals.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe