Author Topic: The Library  (Read 149267 times)

mabel1015j

Re: The Library ~ NEW
« Reply #400 on: July 13, 2009, 02:46:26 PM »

The Library

Our library cafe is open 24/7, the welcome mat is  always out.
Do come in from the heat and humidity and join us.

We look forward to hearing from you, about you and the books you are enjoying (or not).

Let the book talk begin here!

Everyone is welcome!

Suggestion Box for Future Discussions

.re: childhood reading - I loved Black Beauty. I remember that it was sad, but i don't think it effected me adversely. I also loved Heidi and Robin Hood. Steph - we must have had the same 5th grade teacher, because we also had to learn poetry, i think it was a poem every two weeks and i loved it but can only remember bits of the poems at this stage of life.

Our weather here in South Jersey has been spectacular for about 2 months - huuuuummmm, does that mean there's a hurricane or 2 in our future, as pay back?  There has been only 1 or 2 days when the temps have hit 90. Everyone is asking "is this July?" We had a lot of rain in June, but it was welcome, keeping the flowers and bushes happy.

I've been reading all sorts of things: i've mentioned the Condolezza Rice book by Eliz Bumiller - very good. I also read 2 Charlaine Harris books in the "grave" series. I like the querkiness and complexity of her protagonist because of having been hit by lightning and being able to find dead bodies, but it also bro't other complications to her life. And what's going to happen in her relationship w/ her stepbrother? A mystery in a mystery.

I also read an old Mary Alice Monroe book that i hadn't known about - The Four Seasons - about 4 sisters whose last name is "Season." Very typical MOnroe book about family relationships.....................jean

mabel1015j

« Reply #401 on: July 13, 2009, 02:51:27 PM »
I put this in my last post, but i don't see it, so i'll mention it again.............I don't know who's responsible for the T.H. White quote in the heading, but i love it...........thanks for sharing it w/ us.................jean

ChazzW

• Boston area
    • ChazzW@Wordpress
« Reply #402 on: July 13, 2009, 06:04:38 PM »
Alf -
The Heretic's Daughter was good, but not great. I did love this metaphor, though:
A needle is such a small, brittle thing. It is easily broken. It can hold but one fragile thread. But if the needle is sharp, it can pierce the coarsest cloth. Ply the needle in and out of a canvas and with a great length of thread one can make a sail to move a ship across the ocean. In such a way can a sharp gossipy tongue, with the thinnest thread of rumor, stitch together a story to flap in the breeze. Hoist that story upon the pillar of superstitious belief and a whole town can be pulled along with the wind of fear.
Chazz

isak

« Reply #403 on: July 13, 2009, 10:58:08 PM »
Ginny
It's true that  Andrew Zimmern does eat a lot of very weird and to us
unappealing things, but  in some of his segments, he visits cultures and
customs and gets very deeply into the why of what they eat - like, making the
best of what is at hand.  There was one whole program about fooe in Ethiopia
where he shared the foods and cooking methods and also the social customs
of their hospitality and graciousness.  It was a wonderful eye opener.  When I was
in college, I had several Ethiopian friends and so this was especially meaningful to me.
isak

Frybabe

« Reply #404 on: July 13, 2009, 11:49:11 PM »
Ginny, I have mixed feelings about Bourdain. While his show is interesting and he is cute in a devilish sort of way, I take exception to his rather frequent potshots at our involvement in the Vietnam War. In his season premier tonight, he couldn't resist starting out with a Nixon/Kissinger/CIA bash regarding Pinochet's  (Chile) coup. I put him in the category of yet another celebrity who likes to bash America. I read one of his books and got a bit bored with it. Other than a little more of his family history, it was pretty much his shows.

ALF43

« Reply #405 on: July 14, 2009, 07:50:26 AM »
Well Chaz. how true is that thought.  If only all of us could keep that in mind as we weave our own tangled webs.
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

Steph

« Reply #406 on: July 14, 2009, 07:53:49 AM »
When I lived in New England and used to go to genealogical meetings, I met several descendents of the so called witches.. The real witch was the judge, who was a fanatic and the young children who were malicious at best.
I have made notes of the books, since I always found the story interesting.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Babi

« Reply #407 on: July 14, 2009, 09:00:59 AM »
First, JACKIE, I've got to find a Sebald book.  My library doesn't have a one.
I'll check the county library branches and see what I can find.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #408 on: July 14, 2009, 09:10:50 AM »
Isak, your  resounding support of him makes me want to take another look. One thing (one of the few things) I like about Bourdain (I missed the anti American slams, Frybabe, but he's pretty insufferable anyway, so it's up to the mark) but one of the few things I do like is his determination to appreciate what they are eating in the different countries, (and some of it is really eye opening), so I am going to try another look at Zimmern, it sounds like I have missed something by being so squeamish! Will give it another try.

Monica Ali's new book, In the Kitchen is quite good. It takes place in a giant hotel's kitchens and is somewhat like watching one of these kitchen shows combined with Gordon Ramsay not screaming, and one of the British Hotel Inspector shows, but it's really about a man somewhat falling apart before your eyes. It's really good so far, but I'm just about 1/4th through it.

Still reading Sebald as well,   I finally found Lovestoft on the map of England, (I was WAY off on where it was), am so directionally challenged it's pathetic. It's a wonder I don't think Kenya is in the Bronx. hahaaa

I've got Ruth Reichel's new one too but have not read it yet.

Have you all seen, I just came in on the near end of it, about 3 shows from the end, that National Geographic Explorer program? It's a trek through Africa in the steps of Stanley, hoping to find his remains, if I understood that correctly,  (In Edit:  NO, that's not right, in looking him up, he died in London, so why are they slogging thru the jungle tracing his footprints? Wish I had seen the beginning of the series...strange thing, he looked like the leader of this present expedition).....but boy the adventures they have and the leadership struggles. It's really good and interesting, I'm going to see what books have been written on this.

mrssherlock

« Reply #409 on: July 14, 2009, 12:44:59 PM »
A favorite show of this family is History Detectives on PBS.  (Bragging time, it is produced by Oregon's PBS station.)   Fascinating; last night we discovered that the Chicago 1933 Exposition included a display, on the boardwalk right across from Sally Rand & her Fan Dance, a medical doctor's incubators with real live premature babies!  In the research into a Navajo rug we traveled to Chinle and a Navajo medicine man, to the heart of navajo weaving country and a weaver who was wearing a fortune in turquoise, to a trading post' s mini museum of authentic rugs, and so on. In another segment a family's photo albums revealed how Philadelphia was the leading movie production site in the industry's eariest days.

Time Team is another newbie.  Based on the British show of the same name it features an archeological dig each show.  The team spends 72 hours on  site; first  show was Roanoke Virginia where the first settlers disappeared.  Think Virginia Dare, the infant born on this soil.  Next show is about the CLovis people. 
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

isak

« Reply #410 on: July 14, 2009, 06:29:54 PM »
Ginny - I am super-squeamish about a lot of things that  get shown,
but then I see Zimmern do a piece on wild rice harvesting in Minnesota, or
how Lutefisk is done at the church suppers in Minn., or how one lady does
smorgaasbords in her small town, and I am a goner.  He  does get it right there.
That is my prejudice, no doubt.    He also has a segment on all the fried food that
get sold at the Minnesota state fair.  Priceless
Isak

Frybabe

« Reply #411 on: July 14, 2009, 06:41:23 PM »
Isak, I guess I am going to have to take a look at Zimmern too. And here I thought it was just one of those shows to attract the "gross-out" crowd.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #412 on: July 14, 2009, 07:23:09 PM »
Jackie, sorry we missed the episode about the Navajo rugs.  We've been in that area lots of times, and have been to that trading post (as well as others).  We even own several small ones - not old or valuable ones, but they are authentic and bought from the weavers.  Love that area!
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Steph

« Reply #413 on: July 15, 2009, 08:02:30 AM »
Monica Ali wrote a book?? Will have to look for it. I do have all of Ruths. She is quite a good writer as well as cook an reviewer.
I have quite a lot of books written about cooking..That are not cookbooks, but either biographies or just books.. Heat was good, but extreme.. James Beards.. way back about growing up with recipes and memories is excellent. All of Julias of course..and a lot of quite old ones.. Cooking interests me and people who make a living one way or another from food are interesting.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #414 on: July 15, 2009, 08:45:21 AM »
Several months ago we had a vote for Individual Book Discussion Titles - and you all voted for Dickens'  Mystery of Edwin Drood, which we hope to discuss in September - and Geraldine Brooks'  People of the Book, which starts - TODAY!
Hope you didn't forget - we're waiting to hear what you think of Brooks'  protagonist - Hanna Heath.  If you haven't started the book yet, that's okay too.  The author is travelling abroad on an international book tour this month, but promises to try to respond to your questions via email if she can.  Please do come  over and say hello -  

Babi

« Reply #415 on: July 15, 2009, 09:41:30 AM »
 I saw that show, too, JACKIE.  One of their best, I think. The public
display of the incubators full of preemies seemed shocking at first, but
it did a very effective job of promoting use of the incubator our hospitals.
The lives of many babies were saved, and they received excellent care while
on display.

I haven't seen anything about "Time Team". What channel is it on?
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

bellemere

« Reply #416 on: July 15, 2009, 09:50:46 AM »
The Physik Book of Deliverance Dane is about a contemporary writer's research into Salem withcraft.  It was the Top Choice of Barnes and Noble Booksellers, and the resulting sales put it on the NYT best seller list.  My library has one copy with fify hold on it!  So I am in line to borrow it from a family member who works for Barnes and Noble.  He thinks it is an indication that Booksellers are determinants of best sellers, like Oprah.
Has anyone read this?
I love Salem.  Our Book Club took a trip a couple of years ago and witnessed a suspected "witch" being arrested in the town square; we followed her trial in the Meetinghouse.  it was an exact transcript of an actual witchcraft trial, except that the "witch" was allowed to take questions from the spectators, kind of like a press conference. Salem waterfront has a restored sailing ship, a walking tour of Salem by lantern light in the evening, featuring lots of sites where unexplained events have occurred.  Hokey, but fun.  the actress conducting the tour was both informative and witty.  there is a witchcraft museum and also a great art museum with loads of oriental treasures the old sea captains of Salem brought back from their voyages.
Just don't land in Salem on Halloween.  It attracts a lot of strange people; lots of weirdness going on. 

s

mrssherlock

« Reply #417 on: July 15, 2009, 01:29:10 PM »
Babi:  About Time Team (PBS) on the Clovis People:  http://archaeology.about.com/b/2009/07/13/time-team-america-the-topper-site.htm

Salem, how funny life can be.  Way back when I was shopping an estate sale and found some lovely dishes, a delicate green parsley spray on cream background, which I grabbed, never noticing that the pattern is called Salem.  Another thread, my GM's family genealogy, commissioned many, many years ago, includes mention of an ancestor, an 80+ yr-old man who was tried and convicted of witchcraft during the famous trials.  Another thread, in 1990-something I saw a little blurb about that conviction which had just been overturned.  Lost my copy of the narrative report so can't remember his name.  Jump to today:  I am living in a Salem.  I feel it was fate that brought me here.  I get a thrill just writing my home address as Salem. 
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

bellemere

« Reply #418 on: July 15, 2009, 08:28:20 PM »
Mrs. Sherlock , you live in Salem, but not in Salem,MA? and had ancestor executed as a withch?  Wow.  You gotta dig up that record.  There were not that many men.  Most witches were widows, without much family, thus isolated and vulnerable. 
There are misconceptions about the deaths of witches, that they were burned at the stake.  but in Europe , witches were burned.  In New England, we hanged 'em.  Why waste good fuel when gravity will do the job? 
Seriously, it was a terrible time.  So many conflicting theories.  One holds that the group of girl accusers had eaten moldy wheat , a fungus called ergot, which can produce psychotic symptoms.  Mass hysteria played a part, too.  I look forward to reading the book; it is supposed to by more scholarly than sensational.

ALF43

« Reply #419 on: July 16, 2009, 06:50:14 AM »
Bella-Bella- there you are.  Not to fret about the Deliverance Dane.
It is a book that is easily read so it soon will be returned to your library.
I am almost finished with mine and ready to pass it on to my daughter.  It is OK, not earth shattering by any means but OK.   
I am more anxious to see how this writer develops her skills as an author.
 Matthew Pearl wrote a wonderful review for this novel and it makes me wonder if he is not a good friend of Katherine Howe, the author, who in now completing her PhD in American and New England studies.  She really is a descendant of a woman who actually survived the Salem witch trials.

Damn good thing I wasn't around then or I would literally be TOAST.
The idea for this novel developed while Howe was sudying for her docgtoral qualifying exams and walking her dog through the woods between Marblehead (where the story takes place) and Salem.  She lives in Massachusetts.
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

Steph

« Reply #420 on: July 16, 2009, 08:01:11 AM »
Salem,Ma has a wonderful art museum.. It is full of oriental treasures, but it also is a genealogical heaven in that they have all sorts of old records of the area. When we lived in that area, we visited a lot..Actually Marblehead is more fun for food, etc. But Salem at Halloween is just awfu.. All sorts of " I am a true witch" stuff. I believe it is mostly can you top this.. Like the Stonehenge people.. A few true believers and alot of wanna bes.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #421 on: July 16, 2009, 09:17:31 AM »
Steph, yes, Monica Ali has a new one called In the Kitchen, I'm somewhat in the middle, it's bogging down just a bit, so thought I'd pick up a new one while reading it in Cemetery Dance, the new Preston and Childs which I've put off for just such an occasion, what a disappointment! I won't spoil it for you, maybe I'm just getting OD'd on violence on TV and in the news, but....I'm disappointed and I hope it may...what can I say? I'm their biggest fan. Starts with a bang, but not the bang I wanted for my buck, I'll give it another go in a month or two, now will take up the Ruiz and hope for something a little different.

I have never seen so much violence in my life, on TV, in the news, in movies, seems like every movie there IS shows somebody with a gun, unless it's some kind of soppy boy meets girl thing, maybe there are no other plots. Bang Bang, shoot 'em up, chase them in cars,  torture, Armageddon, soppy boy meets girl romance, is that all there is?

Horrific TV shows, since the leg incident am hooked on cooking contests, Iron Chef, Chopped, the Next Food Network Star,   and even some of them are unnecessarily rude. As a consequence,  I am seeing WAY too many commercials,  as they have one every 5 minutes. Still having nightmares over the commercials for one show  coming up, how people managed to get out of horrific circumstances, absolutely blood curdling, one woman's story is, could not watch it when it comes on TV, not even  to the end of the commercial, just....unbelievable. I'm glad to see she made it out alive.

I think this may mean I'm getting old!

I did see the tail end of Ghost Town with  Ricky Gervais and Greg Kinnear and the woman who played the mother in Spanglish and it looks fabulous,  and non violent,  so have ordered it on Netflix, I had heard about it but did not get to see it. I like Netflix anyway, almost better than the theater.

The problem with getting old is you remember a different world. Was it  that  much less enlightened than today?  I used to ride the subway at 5 years of age,  from Holmesburg in Phila, PA,  to Hahnemann   Hospital to visit my grandmother. It was a LONG trip. I had to memorize all the subway stops, can recite some to this day: Ticonderoga comes to mind.  Can you imagine in this day and time letting a 5 year old out of your sight, much less on a subway?

Do you remember Halloween in the "old days?" (Boy I really AM getting old. :))  Turn off the bubble machine! You'd go door to door  on your street, and you'd have to come IN, have some cocoa or something  (took an eternity, slowed down your progress in getting goodies) while whoever the people were guessed who you were? Because they knew you?

I remember the little nearby town where all the merchants had contests in their store windows and they were painted in Halloween motifs by the teenagers, ah well. We're in a new better society now, right? More enlightened.

I will say I think "Mischief Night" was a good one to get rid of, coming as it did the night before Halloween, so that any "mischief" which would come out of Tricks for no  Treats would be done then, presumably.  That was a no brainer.

Oh well, not sure what started this, sorry, probably the bath of violent commercials lately. (They do say, however that viewership is down for the 3 major networks to 18 percent of all people in  the US, as compared to what it was, say in the heyday of I Love Lucy),   when really more than half the people in the US watched, that should say something to those who continue to produce the stuff on the major networks, (is there anything on besides the CSI Chain of shows?  And the Idol shows?)  PBS is not included in their survey, it  seems I only watch PBS or cable now except for the news and sometimes then.

All this to say have you noticed how violent everything seems to be now? Not only in the news but in our "entertainment" choices?

Why DO we read, anyway? Why do YOU read?

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #422 on: July 16, 2009, 09:29:05 AM »
ginny, I know this is discussion is about books, not about TV shows.  But, try some of the shows on TNT and USA networks - The Closer, In Plain Sight, Leverage, Royal Pains.  Or NCIS and The Mentalist on CBS.  They're more character driven with generally less violence.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

ALF43

« Reply #423 on: July 16, 2009, 10:01:06 AM »
MaryZ- we must be sisters. ::)
You've just mentioned some of my favorite shows.  I love leverage.  It reminds me of the old Mission Impossible.  I love those zany characters and their clever wit.

The Mentalist is a given for me.  Simon Baker sends the blood a-pounding through my ears and I like the way the creator of this show has given him that uncanny ability to "make people do what he wants them to."  It would be no problem for me Senor Baker.

I, like Ginny, hate those violent shows, detest the stupidity of the reality shows and do not CARE who can sing and who can not based on a telephone vote.  I like PBS but am always shopping for something new on the Networks.  Hospitals I lived in for 45 years of my life so they are not even a feasible choice.

ALF43

« Reply #424 on: July 16, 2009, 10:06:36 AM »
Oops, sorry Ginny, you asked why DO we read and I got carried away thinking about Simon Baker's smile ;D and forgot what I was talking about.

I, personally read for reasons even too numerous to mention.
I read to relax.
 I read  to "get away" from my own mudane thoughts.
I read to vicariously live a life I would otherwise NEVER even consider.
I read to learn. 
I read to live and

I live to read.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #425 on: July 16, 2009, 10:10:29 AM »
Alf, I'll be happy to claim you as my sister.  :D  Leverage seems to be a later, US version of the wonderful Brit show, Hustle.  We loved that one, too.

Frybabe

« Reply #426 on: July 16, 2009, 10:23:20 AM »
I am fond of Leverage and of Timothy Hutton. Too bad they changed the night. Now it is on a night that I work. I don't know if Comcast will put it up on On Demand. My best friend and I still bemoan the demise of the Ellery Queen series that Hutton did with David Wayne years ago. I guess the people who invent these programs think we would all like to see blood and guts rather than follow a real plot with puzzlers that encourage you to use your brain to unravel the clues along with the character. Give me "Clue" any day over gratuitous sex and violence.

ALF43

« Reply #427 on: July 16, 2009, 11:03:47 AM »
I'm with you Frybaby.
Clue, I'll be in the Library with Col. Mustard and the wrench. ::)

mrssherlock

« Reply #428 on: July 16, 2009, 11:27:29 AM »
Alf:  you said it!!!  Ginny, maybe you should stay away from the violent Ripley for a while?  We watch PBS, History, National Geographic, reality shows such as Deadliest Catch, Ice Road Truckers,  and the usual series shows about doctors, nurses, police, psychics.  That's what we watch when we are not reading.  Recent reads include:  The Spellman Files, The House on Fortune Street, In the Image, Deep in the Valley, Oracle Bones, The Various Haunts of Men.
Jackie

mabel1015j

« Reply #429 on: July 16, 2009, 01:03:54 PM »
Ginny - i think all the news shows and the violence in the fictional shows have convinced us that the world is a much more dangerous place than it used to be, but someone recently did a study and based on % of the population, children are in no more danger than they were decades ago................isn't that interesting? We've become a more cautious and protective society and of course we are more urban, which brings many more people and news stories to our face, but maybe much of our fear is generated in our own heads.

I also love Simon Baker and yes, it is that crooked smile.

I'm sure you are all aware that the advertisers are interested only in the 18 - 24 yr old male - it boggles my mind that they haven't figured out that the 50+ crowd has more money than the 20's crowd. I think it is because of their own bias against older people.

I've just finished an entertaining book by a new author to me: Golden Destiny by June Davis. It's about a woman in Calif in the 1840's and 50's who has been physical and psychologically beat up by the men in the society of few women. She is reasserting her worth and independence w/ the help of a Chinese man who, of course, also is abused by the society. It is well-written and moves along nicely and probably is true to the atmosphere at the time and place. Not complicated, but interesting. I like period novels.

Another new author to me is Russell Banks - not the AIM leader. The book i'm reading is The REserve about a place in upper NY state that has been taken over by wealthy socialites in the 1930's, pretending that they are roughing it. The protagonist is a male artist who likes to present an anti-social personality while keeping people interested in his works. Another character is a mixed-up young woman who, of course, complicates his life.

jean

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #430 on: July 16, 2009, 02:05:32 PM »
Frybabe, Leverage is on On Demand with Comcast.  Go to "TV Entertainment", then to the TNT network button.  It's there with several others.

Frybabe

« Reply #431 on: July 16, 2009, 09:52:56 PM »
Oh good, MaryZ, it wasn't posted when I checked. Sometimes it takes them a little while to post it after it is aired. I had checked shortly after the original airing and haven't checked back yet. I see they have Eureka up on On Demand too.

BREAKING NEWS! Frank McCourt is gravely ill. http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/arts/2009/07/16/2009-07-16_angelas_ashes_author_frank_mccourt_on_deaths_doorstep_as_he_battles_meningitis.html

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #432 on: July 16, 2009, 10:45:46 PM »
I've seen promos for Eureka, but we haven't watched it yet.  It seems it takes about a week from the original broadcast date for programs to show up on On Demand. 

Steph

« Reply #433 on: July 17, 2009, 09:30:17 AM »
Golden Destiny sounds really good. I too like historical novels. Oh me,, I am also a Simon Baker fan. I loved his first show .. He was a lawyer who had to work in a state facility.. A flawed human and extremely interesting. I was surprised to discover he is 40.. Would have put him younger.I am reading a new author for me.. Actually two new authors. I am reading one of the Covington novels, but not really thrilled at this point. I am also reading a book called Stalking Susan.  by Julie Kramer.. Interesting.
Also on Facebook, they have a new special interest group on the Julie-Julia movie. Since I loved the blog, read the book and am anxiously waiting for the movie, I joined. Lots of neat things written by all sorts of people who knew one or the other of the women.. Neat.

Babi

« Reply #434 on: July 17, 2009, 09:40:05 AM »
 Wouldn't you know, JACKIE. The Time Team is in the same time slot as one
of my daughter's favorite shows. I'll try to keep an eye on the subjects
that come up, and try to record them for later viewing.

GINNY, thanks be to our modern TV set-ups, my daughter and I have found a
way to avoid most of the commercials. We set the remote to 'Pause', and
go do whatever. When we come back, we fast forward to the story again. And
of course if it's a taped show, we fast forward thru' the commercials.
Actually, there are some commercials we actually enjoy, but they are
definitely in the minority.

"they haven't figured out that the 50+ crowd has more money than the 20's crowd."

JEAN, I think the answer to that one is that they have figured out that
the 50's crowd has more sense than to believe their ads.  8)

mabel1015j

« Reply #435 on: July 17, 2009, 02:35:28 PM »
Babi - so true!  ::) ::).............jean

Steph

« Reply #436 on: July 18, 2009, 08:19:08 AM »
The arguement in advertising circles is that with a few exceptions, over 55 have more money,but are less likely to spend it.. Same with radio.. Findin oldies stations in our area in Florida gets harder and harder and it makes no sense since we are by far the majority in Florida.. The big thing now is spanish stations..Again they are considered great consumers and we are not.

bellemere

« Reply #437 on: July 18, 2009, 09:29:53 AM »
The Spanish population is a younger one, still raising families, and buying lots of "stuff".  I saw a pundit on TV that said that,indeed the bulk of disposable income in this country is held by people over 55 who already ;have their "stuff", and whose clothing needs are filled by semi-annual infusions of socks and underwear.  How true.  But the engines of marketing are in the hands of 20 to 40 year olds who like to buy a lot of stuff, and like selling it to each other.

mrssherlock

« Reply #438 on: July 18, 2009, 11:09:01 AM »
bellemere:  "20 to 40 year olds who like to buy a lot of stuff, and like selling it to each other. "
 Great line. 
Jackie

marjifay

« Reply #439 on: July 18, 2009, 02:22:42 PM »
 Bellemere, had to laugh at your post, and your remark that seniors' clothing needs are filled by semi-annual infusions of socks and underwear.  Yup!  I have enough clothes to last me into my next life.
My main purchases are food, books (used mostly), and gasoline for our junkets.
Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman