Author Topic: The Library  (Read 149270 times)

Babi

Re: The Library ~ NEW
« Reply #480 on: July 23, 2009, 08:41:47 AM »

The Library

Our library cafe is open 24/7, the welcome mat is  always out.
Do come in from the heat and humidity and join us.

We look forward to hearing from you, about you and the books you are enjoying (or not).

Let the book talk begin here!

Everyone is welcome!

Suggestion Box for Future Discussions

I love the idea of the small town shops, ELLA, but frankly, I can't
afford them. I agree with all you said, but ....   
   For the days when my legs aren't up to walking from one end of the
store to another, there is always the electric cart. Surprising what you can
cram into one of those things.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Frybabe

« Reply #481 on: July 23, 2009, 10:41:47 AM »
Sometime in the future I can see it all going back to local establishments. The possibility is there if enough people buy into those little electric vehicles that don't go far without recharge, telecommuting, home schooling, online shopping, etc. Very SciFi stuff here.

Steph

« Reply #482 on: July 23, 2009, 02:20:20 PM »
I sat and thought about it.. I have found some new authors in the Target.. I also have found some excellent books for my older granddaughter. I like Target for small appliances, etc. They have an English designer that has some great ideas for the kitchen. Dont wear their clothes though. We have a Belks, Bealls, Chico,Coldwater Creek , Maxx, Marshalls in a near open center We also just got a new stand alone Penneys very close.. Love their drapes, etc.
Tuesday Morning is great for linens.. and garden stuff.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

mrssherlock

« Reply #483 on: July 24, 2009, 01:50:50 PM »
Someone mentioned Maureen Corrigan's book: Leave Me Alone I'm Reading which prompted me to check it out at the library.  What a treat!  Her book is a visual delight from the cover on.  Her prose captures the thoughts and feelings of a bibloiophile, at least this one, so beautirfully.  It is not a book to race through but one to savor in small bites so each one can resonate.  Highly recommended.  http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/60422.Maureen_Corrigan has two of my favorite quote so far.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

CallieOK

« Reply #484 on: July 24, 2009, 07:40:00 PM »
There may have been others - but I think I mentioned "Leave Me Alone..". 
I'm so glad you enjoyed it.  I thought it was absolutely delightful.

Has "So Many Books, So Little Time" by Sara Nelson been mentioned here?  I can't remember where I found out about it!
It's another bibliophile "read".  She is a book reviewer in New York and decides to read a book a week for an entire year.  None of them are ones she has reviewed or is reviewing.  Some are re-reads, some are ones she started and didn't finish.

I loved her outlook.

winsummm

« Reply #485 on: July 24, 2009, 11:32:55 PM »
read  the name of the wind by patrick ruffuss, but maybe you should wait for the  sequal because he only gets started in this first of three series.  and he is addicting. the first two pages told me that this was not just another sci fi writer. this is a poet and he is funny as a writer but principally very visual, the images being the thing in poetry.  his reader are all waiting impatiently for book two, but his blog is very amusing in itself. just ask google for   the way in.

claire
thimk

ALF43

« Reply #486 on: July 25, 2009, 01:15:39 PM »
For you Stephanie Plum fans, "Finger-licking" will not disappoint you.
 When I read the part about Lulu "getting stuck" my husband came into the living room asking me if I was crying.  I was laughing so hard, he thought I was sobbing.  Even though Evanavich continues with the same story of Stephanie's zany family, it never ceases to amuze me.
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

Steph

« Reply #487 on: July 25, 2009, 03:24:33 PM »
Alf, thank heaven.. she is back on form. The 14 book had its moments, but not enough of them. I missed The sisters husband..not enough Ranger or Joe.. Hmm..
I am in Ocala tonight.. We are almost home, but always stop within anhour or so of home. We use astorage area for the rv, so need to do our housecleaning, etc the night before.. So here we are, vacuuming,, scrubbing, getting rid of all sorts of things we dont need.
Thought of you Alf,, I think you live close by here.. We are at exit 350

mrssherlock

« Reply #488 on: July 25, 2009, 03:30:07 PM »
Another goodie in Maureen Corrigan's Leave Me Alone, I'm Reading:  Finding and Losing Myself in Books is the five pages of Recommended Reading at the end. 
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

winsummm

« Reply #489 on: July 25, 2009, 10:32:09 PM »
I miss the book I just finished. the name of the wind.

I think it woud make a great movie or two or three.

thimk

ALF43

« Reply #490 on: July 26, 2009, 01:52:44 PM »
Are you right at Camper World next to Sam's club Steph, off rte. 200?  How long will you be there?
We are also at exit 350 and 6 1/2 miles down rte. 200 heading SW, at On Top of the World.  I'd love to see you.
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #491 on: July 26, 2009, 03:35:49 PM »
Found while browsing the Internet this morning.  This comes from the IndieNextList, put out by the American Booksellers Assoc.   Here's a new (I think) Pat Conroy)

by Pat ConroySouth of Broad
(Nan A. Talese/Doubleday, $29.95, 9780385413053 / 038541305X)
"After far too long an absence, Pat Conroy has returned with an epic tale of friendship that survives school integration, the AIDS epidemic, Hurricane Hugo, and horrific family pasts and secrets. You'll fall in love with Charleston, South Carolina, through the words and life of Leo King as he resolves to right his own life while reaching across racial and class lines to create lifelong bonds with an unlikely band of high school seniors." --Nancy Drott, Blue Willow Bookshop, Houston, TX

I'm currently reading the new Andre Dubus III -- The Garden of Last Days  Definitely not a "feel good" book.  Think Sept. 2001, a Florida Club for Men, down and outers.  But still, a certain pull and draw makes you want to know more about these characters.

Am also reading, sporadically, Olive Kitteridge.  It seems more a collection of short stories with Olive Kitteridge always playing a role.

Steph

« Reply #492 on: July 26, 2009, 04:40:07 PM »
A new Conroy?? Hooray. One of my old favorites and he has not written a new one in quite some time.. Alf, sent you an email..
Home and unpacking. Managed to make my back scream and shout, so am trying to tone it down.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #493 on: July 26, 2009, 10:52:52 PM »
Many thanks, pedln.  The new Conroy will be delivered to my Kindle on 11 August.   ;D
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Steph

« Reply #494 on: July 27, 2009, 08:03:33 AM »
Still unpacking.. The results of six weeks away in the rv are always interesting. I buy most of my birthday and Christmas presents on the road. That way they get different types of things. I bought a piece of original glass inCorning and unpacked it this am.. Now to decide where to put it.. I do love it..It is sort of a vase, but I wouldnt dare put real flowers in it..

ALF43

« Reply #495 on: July 27, 2009, 08:08:56 AM »
I love Conroy and will be ordering his newest as well.  Steph, sorry we missed one another, perhaps next time.  We were in an RV for 3 years while Bill had to travel to get his required months in prior to retirement.  I know the problems inherent with it as well as the many joys.

Mippy

« Reply #496 on: July 27, 2009, 09:09:53 AM »
I finished Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout  a few weeks ago, and thought it was worthwhile, giving incite into hardships in a small town in New England.          
So I tried another by her, Amy and Isabelle, which unfortunately was less good, perhaps too down beat for my mood this summer.
quot libros, quam breve tempus

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #497 on: July 27, 2009, 09:36:57 AM »
Oh wonderful  a new Conroy!!  MaryZ, I will be getting it on my kindle too.

Maybe it will be something that will really hold my attention.  I have been in so much pain from a fall that I took recently that I have had a hard time concentrating on my reading.

Joan Grimes
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #498 on: July 27, 2009, 09:59:14 AM »
Well I sure am disappointed! I finally got Dear American Airlines which I had ordered a long time ago and eagerly got it out for a car trip and could not get past 2 pages. I was all set for some fun and laughter and really disliked the book, the tone of the book,   what he was saying, and the way he expresses himself.  I think that does add up to throwing it in the trash?!  I need to start reading library books if I''m going to trash them.

Maybe it was just me, have any of you read it? A man, stranded in an airport, writes a....rambling disjointed letter to American Airlines about his life which he sees unravel, etc., on the way to his daughter's wedding. It's incoherent. It's supposed to be funny, and some of it is and a lot of it is not.

I think he got me being glad that his mother had a stroke because tho her left side was paralyzed, she had snapped out of the Alzheimer's she had previously had? I mean UGG?

Don't you want to run out and get a copy?  

Welcome back, Stephanie! Enjoyed your road travels commentary. I see Longwood Gardens is  mentioned in the Fiction discussion. I love Longwood and their sound and light show in the summer, and their fabulous store and greenhouses where I used to buy the most beautiful plants which promptly died upon getting home. Love Longwood and those water lilies. I originally went to Longwood to  see a copper beech tree, mentioned in Sherlock Holmes stories and which used to be in Kensington Park in London before that awful storm of a few years ago which took almost all of them.  Longwood is one of the few places anywhere in the US you can (or could) see them. I wonder if they are still there.  It's been a LONG time since I was there.

Marjifay, were you the one recommending the Cannell  Thin Woman?  I love the premise of that. I've ordered it and in so doing I see she has done takes on Remains of the Day and Brideshead Revisited, so was intrigued and ordered them also.  Can't wait for them to come, she looks fabulous.

Meanwhile Ripley (yes Mary, I felt positive enough to try to finish the series, and already he's got me paranoid hahahaa) and I are in Berlin, in his fourth book The Boy Who Followed Ripley. That woman is a master in creating situations where your mind is screaming, no no but off you go anyway. She's having to strain a little with this one but as I recall the series the 5th and last before she died was one of the very best.

She could have written about him forever, actually, because he keeps changing in little ways, it's fascinating to watch.

I'm reading or trying to My Life at Grey Gardens and have the DVD The Beales of Grey Gardens, the unseen footage, but I need to feel a bit more energetic before I start as it always makes me want to clean something (which definitely needs doing here).

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #499 on: July 27, 2009, 11:03:49 AM »
Sorry to hear about your fall, JoanG. I hope you're feeling better soon.  I'm currently in a reading "slump" - just can't seemed to do any sustained reading.  That doesn't keep me from plugging away - I just haven't finished anything lately.  I really HATE it when that happens.  Nothing to do but hope it ends quickly.

ginny, we planted a copper beech in our yard a number of years ago.  It's still pretty small - I guess they're pretty slow-growing.  The leaves are so pretty in the fall, and stay on the tree a long time.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #500 on: July 27, 2009, 11:59:28 AM »
JoanG, I'm very sorry to hear that you fell and are in pain. I hope you feel better soon.

Ginny, I've read a few of Patricia Highsmith's books, but only The Talented Mr. Ripley, from that series.  The rest of the Ripley books sound captivating (literally.. I feel that the author reels you in and you can't put the book down!) I'll have to look for them. I think she is an amazing writer. There are some interviews with her on youtube.com (search for patricia highsmith).

marjifay

« Reply #501 on: July 27, 2009, 02:48:05 PM »
Yes, Ginny, I was the one who recommended Dorothy Cannell's book, THE THIN WOMAN.  Too bad you didn't take that to read on your trip instead of DEAR AMERICAN AIRLINES (which I have not read, not do I intend to after your enthusiastic review! LOL).

Just curious, Ginny, do you read much nonfiction?

Marj

"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #502 on: July 27, 2009, 03:27:08 PM »
Mary, I have heard that the copper beech will not grow here where we live. I was stunned to see them in the UK, spectacular things. Good luck on yours!!

Marcie, Highsmith is mesmerizing, she somehow manages to get you to understand and go along with some definite...er... stuff.   hahahaa I think book 3 is a good one too but I'm not sure they can be read out of order.

Marjifay, yes I like Non Fiction, I don't read as much American history and political/ press figures that a lot of people do,  tho, but  actually I read more non fiction lately than fiction.  (You are not thinking that Dear American Airlines is non fiction? It's fiction).

Joan G I am sorry to hear that you fell,  I hope you feel better.  

Aliki

« Reply #503 on: July 27, 2009, 04:51:08 PM »
[quote author=PatH   When one of my daughters was in high school, a friend lent her "Justine" with the warning not to let her mother see she had it.  She showed me anyway, and I laughed and pulled my copy off the shelf for her.
[/quote]
Oh, PatH...loved this anecdote!!

Aliki

Aliki

« Reply #504 on: July 27, 2009, 04:58:14 PM »
[size=12pt]As is probably obvious, I am not used to the different rules and elements of this posting system after the other we had before so I think I'll go drop by the Questions and Help section on the front page.

Aliki[/size]

(I give up for now!!)

mabel1015j

« Reply #505 on: July 28, 2009, 12:08:56 AM »
Ginny - if you ever get back to Moorestown, you must go to Alice Paul's house (Paulsdale) on Hooten Rd in Mt Laurel and see the magnificant copper beech there. It is very tall and very wide and the branches droop so nicely, i can just see children playing under it in 1900. It was probably the coolest place on the farm in a day of no air conditioning. ........... i was the one who said i was going to Longwood Gardens to see the fountain and light display. I'm glad to hear that you and Mary both loved it...........jean

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #506 on: July 28, 2009, 12:32:38 PM »
Don't give up, Aliki.  We're glad you're here.

Remember the film The Emperor's Club, that we talked about a few years back, and compard with the Ethan Canin novella The Palace Thief?  I still think that's one of the best movies I've seen in recent years.

Has anyone read Canin's new book America, America?  It's out in paperback now and a few bookstores in Seattle were touting it when I was there.  Yesterday I made a big mistake by popping into our town's only used book store.  And there on the recent arrivals shelf was America, America.  After saying "no no no" to buying any more books, I bought it, don't know when I'll get to reading it.

Actually went in looking for the Penguin version of Edwin Drood.  No luck in that department.

Steph

« Reply #507 on: July 28, 2009, 03:19:25 PM »
Longwood is and always has been one of the most beautiful gardens anywhere. But we have seen magnificent ones all over the US.. We try really hard to take in the gardens whereever we go in the rv.. One of the joys of rv's is the ability to go to even tiny little areas and see what they have and are proud of.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #508 on: July 29, 2009, 09:15:02 AM »
Mabel, if I ever get back to Moorestown, I sure will look it up, would love to see it. My interest in the copper beech occurred alas after I left Moorestown (how CAN they close that bakery!! Those creme doughnuts! Those cinnamon buns! ) so I was not aware of it, thank you.

Steph, that does sound most poetic. I wish that RVing appealed to me but it doesn't, but it's See the USA Your Way, I like the seeming  romance of it, tho. Did you happen to see any of the films or demos  at Corning on glass blowing? I have the DVD and they are fabulous, most interesting.

Allie, Jane and Pat will be glad to help you with the coding!

Pedln, let us know how you like America, America, I have heard of it.  That actor in the movie The Emperor's Club, who played the young man is quite hot today in Hollywood, he's a lot younger than I thought, too.

A Mini Review:

I'm almost through My Life at Grey Gardens. I am not sure it's possible to describe it. You can't quote from it unless you are doing a review. It's ....strange....and fascinating. I am glad to see that in her own home Mrs. Edith Ewing Bouvier Beale (Big Edie) did enjoy respect and love from those around her despite the somewhat....uh...indescribable  circumstances. The house is described as almost weaving a spell, being a safe type of haven despite the cats, etc., and no water in the bathtubs. They kept it like a fortress, locking each other in and out, worrying about burglars and kidnapping. It's only when you stop and think a minute that you can get an accurate picture. I swear it makes you consider aging and a lot of other things like self delusion.

It's another voice to go with the documentary. The one thing that I sort of disagreed with in the book's descriptions which make me rethink the whole,  was how Big Edie's speaking voice was described.  The author seemed to think of it as "lovely,"  and apparently she was felt to have a nice singing voice.  The author of this book felt that her everyday speaking was melodious,  and that the phone calls from her on the upper floor  were what went thru them all like a knife. But it's her speaking voice that haunted me after seeing the movie, I don't think I could have listened to that demanding querulous constant slightly aggrieved  insistent  tone 5 minutes,  much less constantly. I believe it would have driven me insane. It almost does in the movie and just reading the book. In some ways it's like an insane asylum,  which seems strangely to affect everybody who stays there. It makes you question your own life, truly.  Like "what is sanity?"

They also got almost nothing from the Maysles original documentary, at least here at 7/8ths thru the book which is an outrage. They also did receive a LOT of help from Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, a LOT, she paid monthly for a lot of things nobody knows about, after the movie , in addition to paying to fix up the house. I am not sure....I dunno, this is one of the strangest books I have ever read. Talk about truth being stranger than fiction!

Steph

« Reply #509 on: July 29, 2009, 09:37:50 AM »
Oh my yes, We saw glass firing, glass blowing, etc etc. They have quite a few demonstrations in Corning every hour.. But if you want to see Glass Blowing as an art.. Tacoma, Museum of Glass. We spent a whole afternoon watching an Australian glass artists and the resident blowers work on a piece.. Wow.. That blew the mind. She had such a precise vision and it is so hard with glass , since it has to be manipulated in such precise segments.. Ginny you would love it.
Now you have me fascinated. Gray
Gardens is something I must read. Off to Amazon to see what it is..

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #510 on: July 29, 2009, 11:28:40 AM »
Ginny,  you do make "Grey Gardens" intriguing! I'll have to check it out. There is a 6 minute interview with Christine Ebersole and Mary Louise Wilson about a musical version of Grey Gardens, including clips, at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKb6a6irAiQ

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #511 on: July 29, 2009, 01:30:28 PM »
I've never seen glass blowing live, but when I lived near DC, PatH and I visited the Finnish Embassy, where there was an exhibition by a Finnish art glass blower who made glass birds. They were wonderful, and there was a short film showing glass blowing in his workshop.

I have also seen a film of glass blowing on the island near Venice where they make all the beautiful glass. Absolutely fascinating.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #512 on: July 29, 2009, 03:00:27 PM »
JoanK, there are lots of glass artists around now - maybe even some in your area.  Check some of your local art organizations.  We have 2-3 places in our area, and they frequently have open time at their studios for "spectating".  It's amazing to watch.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #513 on: July 30, 2009, 06:37:39 AM »
Marcie, and Steph, yes the Beales were certainly one of a kind. Unfortunately I finished the last quarter of the book last night and it's quite sad and tragic, it really is, covering the death of "Big Edie" Beale.

Thank you Marcie for the link to Christine Ebersole's video and the musical. I watched some of the other videos there, they've got the DVD The Beales of Grey Gardens, a clip, showing the actual women  in the added on footage to the original documentary, but it's hard to understand. The Maysles who made the original documentary in the 70's,  were not  wanted  at the funeral. One of the Maysles  came dressed in an old coat with a rope around it to hold it together.

Then there appears to be something of a strange cult following, on YouTube,  some woman dresses up as "Little Edie" and gives opinions and such, 90th birthday, very very strange. Very strange, everything about the Beales was  strange, including their friends and family. Can't understand the missing pieces of the puzzle.

Time for something happy and light, I think I'll read EF Benson again. I see somebody has done another sequel on Major Benjy, that might be tricky to attempt.

What's everybody reading this hot and stormy summer?

Steph

« Reply #514 on: July 30, 2009, 08:18:28 AM »
Ginny, if you are wandering around you tube.. yes there are much and many weird things there.
Funny... Cant remember if you like Evanovich or not, but she is one in paper (14) and one in hardback(15).  Then if you like science fiction fantasy.. any Terry Pratchett will make you laugh. Try any of the witches.. Can you resist a witch named Magrat, because noone spelled to well in her family? Or death who somehow takes a small child to raise in his mansion.. or Mort who hopes to fulfil Deaths job offer? Or the man who reinvents the post office..
A favorite reread of mine is Elspeth Huxleys stories of growing up in
Africa..See. there are lots of stuff..

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #515 on: July 30, 2009, 12:28:35 PM »
Those do sound good! Mort, etc. Love it. Magrat. hahahaa I'll look out for one this weekend.

I love Elspeth Huxley's on Africa, reread them often. Have you read her mysteries?

Somebody has a new "Elspeth Huxley" like account of growing up in Africa, I've seen it and it looks good, same type of thing. Africa is so interesting, to me.

Steph

« Reply #516 on: July 31, 2009, 08:29:38 AM »
Any idea of what the book about Africa is. I have a lot of that type. Beryl Markham was a personal heroine of mine. Such a life..And Karen Blixen of course..
Yes, I have read Elspeths mysteries, but I like the childhood the best.
I ordered a Grey Gardens book from Amazon. Seems like there are four of them, so I sort of stabbed at which one. Will tell you what it is like when I get it.

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #517 on: August 02, 2009, 07:24:40 PM »
I still have some of the glassware that I watched being blown on top of a mountain in Caracus.
Ah a different time and world.
Now I am into locking things up. Instructed by the doctor to take  care of Don's medical care and pills which I know nothing about. Jessss I did his pills yesterday after the doctor threw out about half his bottles.  He was mixing metforman which is for diabetes with vicoden. He thought they were the same thing. He no longer run errands for me or can he fix anything. I have had a lock put on on a closet in my room and the drugs and ect are getting locked up as we speak.

mrssherlock

« Reply #518 on: August 02, 2009, 08:50:32 PM »
Oh, Judy, my heart is with you as you cope with this difficult time.
Jackie

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #519 on: August 02, 2009, 08:57:27 PM »
Oh, Judy, that's so hard.  I know you'll be given the strength from somewhere, but it isn't easy.