Author Topic: Three Men in a Boat June 12 -  (Read 12801 times)

PatH

• BooksDL
Re: Three Men in a Boat June 12 -
« Reply #120 on: July 05, 2018, 11:23:02 AM »
The Book Club Online is the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  Everyone is welcome.

June Book Club Online

Three Men in a Boat (To Say Nothing of the Dog)

Written in 1889, this book has never been out of print since.
We’re still laughing.  Come on in and find out why.

Schedule:

June 12-16 Chapters 1-5
June 16-? Chapters 6-10

Discussion Leader: PatH

Jonathan

Re: Three Men in a Boat June 12 -
« Reply #121 on: July 05, 2018, 02:07:14 PM »
Thanks, Pat. I must look for No Time to Spare. It sounds like fun. I'll take a chance on any bad ideas.

The boat ride ends so dramatically. Suddenly it's over. Almost like finding half way through a book.... I can see it happening. My book is beautifully illustrated. As well as bad weather, it was such a popular pastime for Londoners that it could get awfully crowded on the river. In the locks it could be shoulder to shoulder. Boating, we're told, could bring out the worst in people. River rage, I suppose. A version of road rage.

But we've been treated to a lot of humor. Wasn't that the funniest fish story. Four guys, successively, claim to have caught that magnificent fish mounted on the wall, at the inn. And it turns out to be made of plaster of paris.

I get the impression the boaters were going for a getaway, back to nature, with only a little history in passing. And to be shocked by tragedy when someone sought out the river to end it all. A strange book.