Author Topic: Three Men in a Boat June 12 -  (Read 12802 times)

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
Re: Three Men in a Boat June 12 -
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2018, 03:21:56 AM »
The Book Club Online is the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  Everyone is welcome.

June Book Club Online

Three Men in a Boat (To Say Nothing of the Dog)

Written in 1889, this book has never been out of print since.
We’re still laughing.  Come on in and find out why.

Schedule:

June 12-? Chapters 1-5

Discussion Leader: PatH
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

hats

« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2018, 05:07:28 AM »
I need a group with which to read The Wind And The Willows. I've looked at beautiful copies of the book. Always come away a bit afraid of the tiny creatures. Not that I'm really frightened, just cautious of scales, long tails and big eyes. It's fun reading each post about Three Men In A Boat. :-[

CallieOK

« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2018, 01:20:41 PM »
Barb,  really enjoyed your comments - particularly the detailed information about the history of Kingston, etc.   I am a big fan of ancient British history.

Also loved the analogy.   Am wishing I had my own copy and could make notes in the margins of these observations by the author. 

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2018, 04:04:19 PM »
Glad you're enjoying this, hats.  You might get your wish.  after we finish this book, if there's enough interest we'll discuss Wind in the Willows.  But there might not be enough.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2018, 06:10:37 PM »
I suppose he is compared to Mark Twain because of Twain's "Life on the Mississippi."

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2018, 06:14:31 PM »
Like Twain, I've remembered Three Men not for its humor but for the feeling of the river. Their is something magic about rivers.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2018, 12:13:42 AM »
Callie are you reading it from Gutenberg or from a Kindle? Thought - I used to have a quote book - now with everything online I no longer keep books for jotting things but I do have a personal blog using Tumblr - it is free and I copy and paste things I want to note including I just copied and pasted the bit about filling your boat (life) up with things and people just because. Tumbler is more complicated to me know but of all the various sites where you can have your own page I found it to be the easiest and unlike word it is absolutely free unless you chose a heading or background available that costs.

Yes, Pat and Hats I too will enjoy reading Wind in the Willows - there is some river scenes in that story but there are also land scenes including the whole drama of Toad going to jail and the lovely scene of mole finding his old home.

I agree Joan there is something soothing and magical about a river story even with all the high-jinks this group brings

OH my got so caught up I forgot to post this - it must be here on my computer for hours... well this is new forgetting to post  ;)
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2018, 03:25:06 AM »
Marlow is where the parish Church of All Saints was built in 1835 on the site of a church that dated from the 12th century.

The Sir William Borlase’s Grammar School was founded at Marlow in 1624. Marlow Place (1720) was built for George II (reigned 1727–60) when he was prince of Wales.

Remnantz House contained the English Royal Military College from 1802 to 1812. Marlow is a residential town, but in summer its boating facilities and regatta attract visitors.

Medmenham Abbey, about 3 miles (5 km) southwest, was built on the site of a Cistercian monastery, founded about 1200, and was the headquarters of the notorious but influential Hell-Fire Club in the 18th century.

Hellfire Club was a name for several exclusive clubs for high society rakes established in Britain and Ireland in the 18th century. The name is most commonly used to refer to Sir Francis Dashwood's Order of the Friars of St. Francis of Wycombe. Such clubs were rumored to be the meeting places of "persons of quality" who wished to take part in socially perceived immoral acts, and the members were often involved in politics.

According to at least one source, their activities included mock religious ceremonies and partaking in meals containing dishes like "Holy Ghost Pie", "Breast of Venus", and "Devil's Loin", while drinking "Hell-fire punch". Members of the Club supposedly came to meetings dressed as characters from the Bible.

River Thames at Marlow

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2018, 03:40:43 AM »
Who knew? A somnambulist, is a sleepwalker

Here he is bringing the cheeses back to London

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2018, 03:57:41 AM »
Although the name Creu first appears in the Domesday Book, the modern urban settlement of Crewe was not formally planned out until 1843 to consolidate the "railway colony" that had grown up since around 1840–41 in the area near to the railway junction station opened in 1837, even though it was called Crewe by many, from the start.

Crewe was thus named after the railway station, rather than the other way round. The name derives from an Old Welsh word 'criu', meaning 'weir' or 'crossing'.

Crewe was founded in the township of Monks Coppenhall which, with the township of Church Coppenhall, formed the ancient parish of Coppenhall. Eventually, the township of Crewe became a civil parish in its own right also named, rather confusingly, Crewe. This civil parish changed its name to Crewe Green in 1974 to avoid confusion with the adjacent town, which had been made a municipal borough in 1877.

The railway station remained part of the civil parish of Crewe, outside the boundary of the municipal borough until 1936. So, throughout its history, the town of Crewe has neither been part of, nor has it encompassed first the township of Crewe, later the civil parish of Crewe, and later still the civil parish of Crewe Green adjacent to it.  An old, local riddle describes the somewhat unusual states of affairs: "The place which is Crewe is not Crewe, and the place which is not Crewe is Crewe."

Until the Grand Junction Railway company chose Crewe as the site for its locomotive works and railway station in the late 1830s, Crewe was a village. Crewe railway station was built in fields near to Crewe Hall and was completed in 1837.

Euston was the first inter-city railway station in London. It opened on 20 July 1837 as the terminus of the London and Birmingham Railway (L&BR). The old station building was demolished in the 1960s and replaced with the present building in the international modern style.

The site was chosen in 1831. The area was mostly farmland at the edge of the expanding city, and adjacent to the New Road (now Euston Road), which had caused urban development. The station was named after Euston Hall in Suffolk, the ancestral home of the Dukes of Grafton, the main landowners in the area.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2018, 04:10:12 AM »
Gladstone bag

Ha this must have been a way of expressing yourself since The Wind in the Willows where they messed about in boats was not published until 1908 - but here it is... " He said it did him real good to look on at me, messing about."

bellamarie

« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2018, 08:49:22 AM »
Jonathan
Here's something interesting. This yades malady isn't even mentioned in my edition. No place on earth gets as much weather as England. No where is it talked about as much as there. No barometer can cope. If you're lucky you'll meet an old man who will promise you sunshine. Is that in your book, Bellamarie?
No, Jonathan, I did not see this in my book.  I am reading the online book:  http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/29944/pg29944-images.html  At the end they have this section:
NOTES OF TRANSCRIPTION
-This edition in Catalan of "Three men in a boat" dates from 1921. The omissions of certain passages, as well as some imprecise text in the translated text, make it advisable to add the following clarifications, referenced in the text with (*).

I thinking I wish I was reading from a book that has pictures and no omissions of passages.

Barb, thank you for all the information and pics.  I lost interest in this crazy, comical, zany, book so I'm not sure all the history will help much, but I love how you always come through providing us with the pics and history.

If I read the word "cheese" one more time, I thought I would throw this book against a wall.  To say I am enjoying this book, would be like saying I enjoy going to confession.  I will continue to muddle through, but can't wait to come to the end of Chapter XIX.  You all are helping me stick with it, even though I have been tempted to stop.  I tried explaining this book to a group last night and the words just could not come.  I said, "It's about three middle age, or maybe senior men, who decide to take an adventure in a boat down the Thames River with a dog, and get side tracked talking about anything and everything, and is frustrating me to no end!"

Okay on to Chapter VI..... ughhhh
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

hats

« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2018, 09:51:17 AM »
PatH, I will keep my fingers crossed.  ;)

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2018, 10:53:03 AM »
Bellamarie, that's like spending hours hitting yourself on the head with a hammer.  Why don't you just come in here a lot and chat with us about the issues we're talking about, occasionally reading any bit of the book that seems like you might enjoy it.  That way we get the pleasure of your company and you don't suffer.

The characters are young men, at the start of their career, not yet settled down or married.

Frybabe

« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2018, 12:11:34 PM »
I think I've gone into one of my periodic reading slumps. I've been filling the last three days with actual yardwork and housework, playing on the computer, and not much reading.  All in all, I think I'd rather have this type of humor in a Brit Sitcom like Last of the Summer Wine.

Barb, thanks for the info and pix. The picture of the Clattern Bridge is lovely, but I couldn't find the stone. But, good old Wikipedia came to my rescue. Here is is. You can see the same buildings in the background. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronation_Stone,_Kingston_upon_Thames If you mouse-over the word Guildhall, you should see a pop up of the Guildhall itself.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2018, 01:01:13 PM »
Ok here we go - lots of advise for you Bellamarie wanted or Not -  ;) - for me it is a lark - out of the 'mess' there are points being made but it is like many a family comic who rattles on and on - we think, 'will they ever get to the point'?  That to me is the layout - it is not like a Hollywood comic movie that, although funny incidents, still follows a logical system of telling.

This telling meanders as a flow of thought that resembles the stream-of-consciousness technique and through the telling we hear Victorian morals, consciousness and repetition as in Dylan Thomas' Ulysses. Ulysses is a meandering story not only in each byway tidbit felt and shared but the story takes place all over the city of Dublin. 

Difference, this is actually more straight forward since they travel on a river with known cities along the way. Ulysses meanders all over the place like a drunken sailor as the expression goes with no straight line to any point, from sheds to bars. Even the original Ulysses had its share of meandering. We never know where he would show up next and at each site there was a story that was not connected to the experiences of the earlier site.

This may have been a take off on Ulysses and it could even have been Jerome trying out this stream-of-consciousness since the term was coined by William James in 1890 in his The Principles of Psychology

So far for me reading last night, the packing and repacking I laughed remembering how often I did the same thing till I made myself a checkoff list - problem occurred till I left a complete wardrobe at my daughters because I never thought to pack the list and coming home I always ended up leaving something at my daughter's and had to figure out how to get along without some favorite vest, shirt or whatever. 

Ha and as kids I remember my sister being a watcher - she just perched herself someplace and with the eyes of an owl watched, never pitching in as if she was in new new nah nah land - I remember putting up with it but oh my if Grandma was there and saw her this was one of those times when regardless we were no longer speaking German out it would come - a long line in German expressing in no uncertain terms, my sister's physical and dummkopff brain would be in der Zeit eingefroren, in frozen time and did she really think some prince was going to come and kiss her awake and why did Gott give her arms and legs and a head but to use them - on and on she would go till my sister stood ready to help. Then Grandma, like a field Marshall, would direct her every task for what felt like hours but was probably only an hour. No sitting back watching others carry the load when Grandma was around - I laugh at the memory tapped into by Jerome.

Some of this story reminds me of my recent read of the Pickwick Papers, although that did have a storyline with the reprobate Alfred Jingle creating the "river" so to speak - Mr. Pickwick is a kindly retired businessman and philosopher whose thoughts never rise above the commonplace; Tracy Tupman, a ladies' man who never makes a conquest; Augustus Snodgrass, a poet who never writes a poem; and Nathaniel Winkle, a sportsman of tremendous ineptitude, all travel hither and nigh, enjoying the hospitality of other Country Gentleman with no aim in life than to enjoy one's self.

And to me that is the premise of this story - that for a couple of weeks these young professionals can live the unplanned life of the upper class whose earnings were investments allowing them the freedom to live with no agenda other than what happened minute by minute and day by day. In a story, the small ways they show their character gives us a picture of the character.

Now with all that - what is it you prefer in a book Bellamarie -what is it that you hope a story will do and how do you like a string of stories making the whole to be told - almost as if you were sharing your week, day by day with an interested family member maybe in a letter that :) we never write anylonger but, we did... think back to when we wrote to a pen pal or a distant family member - we probably never shared our daily nothings but, imagine if that is all you had to share how would you want to write it in a way that made the person reading the letter chuckle or see the pomposity of the situation? The way you would write could be your expectation and the manner Jerome is using may not be how you would share life's small happenings. No problem whatever any of us prefer but it is neat to explore why something is not fitting.

Ok as Pat says we really do love your sharing even if it is only round the edges of this story - we miss you - we really do - you bring us insight that we often miss.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2018, 01:02:29 PM »
Wow Frybabe - great photo - thanks - said with a sly smile maybe my find was just what we needed to get you to find this wonder  ;D  ::)  :-*

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2018, 03:02:35 PM »
I think the barrier for most of us is the wordy long-windedness.  Barb points out it has purposes, and it was also a common humorous style then.  Mark Twain sometimes does the same thing.  But it's at the edge of my patience too, though just short of too much to tolerate.  So I put up with it for things I like about the book.

Bellamarie, I wasn't saying don't be a part of the discussion, but we are doing this for fun, so I was trying to keep it fun for you so you'd stay.  You're a very important part of these discussions.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2018, 03:11:29 PM »
Thanks for the photo, Frybabe.  I was thinking of the stone as something the King would sit on, but it looks too tall for that.

Jonathan

« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2018, 03:43:20 PM »
This book...'is frustrating me to no end...I tried explaining this book to a group last night and the words just could not come.' What a forthright confession, Bellamarie. But hang in there. It gets better. Or more hazardous perhaps. Find the humor and you might fall off your chair laughing...or into the river. Get lost in the maze. Hear Harris sing a comic song, or help him look for Mrs Thomas's peculiar tomb. I believe it makes for a great English vacation: to search for rare, uplifting tombstones.

Barbara's on the right track. This is an English odyssey of sorts, through their history and landscape. Social, moral, and psychological.

What a pity, Barb. The world will never know what your sister was seeing as she sat there watching you.

Frybabe

« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2018, 06:39:04 AM »
Ah, Stream of Consciousness! I didn't know when that bit of writing style became popular. What struck me, when you wrote that, Barb, is that my conversational style tends to that. I might start out with a point to be made or a particular direction to a conversation, but often I go off on a tangent and forget to go back to the main point. Drives George nuts, sometimes. I haven't been entirely successful at changing to something more linear in conversation, but writing is easier because I can reread what I wrote and edit.

Isn't the Stream of Consciousness technique also a method writers sometimes use to get their creative juices flowing? I vaguely remember one of my English composition teachers saying that if you get stuck (writer's block) just start writing anything that comes to mind. Somewhere in that jumble an idea will eventually emerge to get you going or back on track.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2018, 11:10:42 AM »
I think the actual term "stream of consciousness" became popular in the 1920s, with writers like Virginia Woolfe, and that's also when  James Joyce wrote Ulysses, but of course the way of thinking has been around a lot longer.

Interesting idea to use it as a way of unblocking.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2018, 12:10:31 PM »
Looks like both Britannica and Wikipedia say the same thing using almost the same words...

"In literary criticism, stream of consciousness is a narrative mode or method that attempts to depict the multitudinous thoughts and feelings which pass through the mind. The term was coined by William James in 1890 in his The Principles of Psychology, and in 1918 the novelist May Sinclair (1863–1946) first applied the term stream of consciousness, in a literary context, when discussing Dorothy Richardson's (1873–1957) novels. Pointed Roofs (1915), the first work in Richardson's series of 13 semi-autobiographical novels titled Pilgrimage, is the first complete stream of consciousness novel published in English. However, in 1934, Richardson comments that "Proust, James Joyce, Virginia Woolf & D.R. ... were all using 'the new method', though very differently, simultaneously". There were, however, many earlier precursors and the technique is still used by contemporary writers."

Where as Britannica gives examples of: "The stream-of-consciousness novel commonly uses the narrative techniques of interior monologue. Probably the most famous example is James Joyce’s Ulysses (1922), a complex evocation of the inner states of the characters Leopold and Molly Bloom and Stephen Dedalus. Other notable examples include Leutnant Gustl (1901) by Arthur Schnitzler, an early use of stream of consciousness to re-create the atmosphere of pre-World War I Vienna; William Faulkner’s The Sound and the Fury (1929), which records the fragmentary and impressionistic responses in the minds of three members of the Compson family to events that are immediately being experienced or events that are being remembered; and Virginia Woolf’s The Waves (1931), a complex novel in which six characters recount their lives from childhood to old age."

And so Frybabe it appears like many women we talk using our inner "incoherent thought, ungrammatical constructions, and free association of ideas, images, and words at the pre-speech level." In other words that says to me our emotions are at play to even describe directions that usually include what is located on what corner and how the weather may affect the trip...  ;)  ;D

Jonathan

« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2018, 02:05:59 PM »
Here's what a cup of Enlish tea will do for your stream of consciousness:

'After a cup of tea (two spoonfuls for each cup, and don't let it stand more than three minutes) it says to the brain, 'Now, rise, and show your strength. Be eloquent, and deep, and tender; see, with a clear eye, into Nature, and into life; spread your white wings of quivering  thought, and soar, a god-like spirit, over the whirling world beneath you, up through long lanes of flaming stars to the gates of eternity!' Ch 10

It must have been the tea that inspired the 'The Historical retrospect, specially inserted for the use of schools.' From the synopsis at the beginning of Ch 11. We get to experience the signing of Magna Carta by King John so many centuries ago!

Jonathan

« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2018, 02:20:44 PM »
A full stomach will play a role in your consciousness:

'How good one feels when one is full - how satisfied with ourselves and with the world! People who have tried it, tell me that a clear conscience makes you very happy and contented; but a full stomach does the business quite as well, and is cheaper, and more easily obtained. One feels so forgiving and generous after a substantial and well-digested meal - so noble , so kindly hearted.'

Jonathan

« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2018, 02:30:34 PM »
Find the Great Presence in the night.

'The day has been so full of fret and care, and our hearts have been so full of evil and of bitter thoughts, and the world has seemed so hard and wrong to us. Then Night, like some great loving mother, gently lays her hand upon our fevered head, and smiles, and... in the wondrous light of that great Presence, all human life lies like a book before us, and we know that Pain and Sorrow are but the angels of God. Ch 10

Some boat ride!

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2018, 02:41:45 PM »
Thanks for pulling out those little nuggets, Jonathan.  It's more amusing to have them sitting together.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #67 on: June 18, 2018, 02:35:46 AM »
Still plugging along - not as far into the story as you are Jonathan so I have the quotes you brought us to look forward to.

Just had to find out about this Great Coram Street Murder - here it is...

http://www.victorianlondon.org/crime/greatcoramstreet.htm

Virginia Water is a commuter town in northern Surrey, home to the Wentworth Estate and the Wentworth Club. The estate is situated in the Borough of Runnymede in Surrey. Its name comes from the lake in the nearby Windsor Great Park.

The Wentworth Estate is a 1920s-founded estate of houses and woodland (a typical small village size in England) around the home of the first Ryder Cup, Wentworth Club. It is in Virginia Water, Surrey, England and forms one of Europe's premier residential areas on a gently undulating area of coniferous heath, where among the estate owners with other famous names like Elton John and Diana Dors till her death, is the recording studios at John Lennon's Tittenhurst Park.

The 19th-century house the "Wentworths" (now the club house for the Wentworth Club) was the home of a brother-in-law of the 1st Duke of Wellington. It was purchased in 1850 by the exiled Spanish count Ramon Cabrera, and after his death his wife bought up the surrounding lands which were later to form the nucleus of the Wentworth Estate.

The Isle of Wight is a county and the largest and second-most populous island in England. The island has been home to the poets Swinburne and Tennyson and to Queen Victoria, who built her much-loved summer residence and final home, Osborne House at East Cowes. It has a maritime and industrial tradition including boat-building, sail-making.

The Isle was owned by a Norman family until 1293 and was earlier a kingdom in its own right. The island has played an important part in the defence of the ports of Southampton and Portsmouth, and been near the front-line of conflicts through the ages, including the Spanish Armada and the Battle of Britain.

Julius Caesar reported that the Belgae took the Isle of Wight in about 85 BC, and recognised the culture of this general region as "Belgic", but made no reference to Vectis. The Roman historian Suetonius mentions that the island was captured by the commander Vespasian. The Romans built no towns or roads on the island, but the remains of at least seven Roman villas have been found, indicating the prosperity of local agriculture. First-century exports were principally hides, slaves, hunting dogs, grain, cattle, silver, gold, and iron. Ferriby Boats and later Blackfriars Ships were important to the local economy.

During the Dark Ages the island was settled by Jutes as the pagan kingdom of Wihtwara under King Arwald. In 685 it was invaded by Caedwalla, who tried to replace the inhabitants with his own followers. In 686 Arwald was defeated and the island became the last part of English lands to be converted to Christianity,added to Wessex and then becoming part of England under King Alfred the Great, included within the shire of Hampshire.

It suffered especially from Viking raids, and was often used as a winter base by Viking raiders when they were unable to reach Normandy. Later, both Earl Tostig and his brother Harold Godwinson (who became King Harold II) held manors on the island.

In the 1860s, what remains in real terms the most expensive ever government spending project saw fortifications built on the island and in the Solent, as well as elsewhere along the south coast because of fears about possible French invasion.

South Western Railway laid track in England from 1838 to 1922, the main operator for western Surrey, Hampshire and Dorset, and also serves London, Berkshire, Wiltshire, Somerset and Devon.

From London Waterloo, long-distance trains run to southern England, including the major coastal population centers of Portsmouth, Southampton, Bournemouth, Poole and Weymouth.

The Royal Mail marks 500 years of postal services. The mail used to be delivered with the introduction of horse-drawn carriage. Pressure to deliver mail even more quickly saw the introduction of mail coaches. The General Post Office  and the Liverpool and Manchester Railway reached an agreement that saw the start of mail being carried by train in 1830. The Exeter mail would include mail from the Exeter Tech.

To celebrate the educational and scientific work of Prince Albert, and inspired by the Great Exhibition of 1851, Exeter School of Art in 1855 and the Exeter School of Science in 1863 were founded. In 1868, the Schools of Art and Science relocated to Royal Albert Memorial Museum in Queen Street, Exeter and, with support from the University of Cambridge, became the Exeter Technical and University Extension College in 1893

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #68 on: June 18, 2018, 03:39:47 AM »
The University College of the South West, Bradninch Place - now the Phoenix Art Centre

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #69 on: June 18, 2018, 03:55:43 AM »
No real naming or description of the boat - only that it had a tiller line which means the Tiller or Rudder is adjusted and held with a line which on a boat rope is called a line.

As to the sculls - sculling is a sport that is rowing sitting high in a slim and flat bottom boat but also on the rivers in England they use a pole to push a boat along with the pole pushing off from the river bottom and this poling is referred to as sculling - there may be other ways that a boat is 'sculled' but those are the only two ways I know about - so with all of that we still do not know if this boat was a skiff or if it had a small sail - hopefully we get more information that would help to visualize the size of this boat.

These are pretty good size modern skiffs. In the nineteenth century there would be larger skiffs used for whaling or for fishing however, if there is only one of them rowing that seems to me to be a small skiff that for three grown men And a dog that is pretty tight.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #70 on: June 18, 2018, 04:18:59 AM »
Here is the Oriel window at Hampton Court - however I love the second Oriel window in Amsterdam

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #71 on: June 18, 2018, 04:22:46 AM »
Which by the way this is a neat website - http://www.victorianlondon.org/index-2012.htm

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #72 on: June 18, 2018, 10:28:08 AM »
Here's the Hampton Court Maze:

Hampton Court Maze

You can scroll the small pictures on the left down to see more, or get them larger on the right with the arrows.  I particularly like the aerial view.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #73 on: June 18, 2018, 11:54:33 AM »
Wow Pat - I wonder why I did not know to see the Maize when I visited Hampton Court - however that was back in the late 80s and early 90s, once with a small group and the second time on my own - but thinking about it that is 25 years ago and a privet hedge can grow in 10 to 15 years - I wonder when this was planted or maybe it is the original and I just did not see the information that it was there.

Neither here or nor there the maize is quite wonderful - although it does not look tall enough to block the view of those walking the maize so maybe it is not as old.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #74 on: June 18, 2018, 12:40:24 PM »
Here's a quote from my internet search:

From Hampton Court Maze
"Designed by George London and Henry Wise and commissioned around 1700 by William III the maze covers a third of an acre, is trapezoid in shape and is the UK's oldest surviving hedge maze. It was originally planted using hornbeam and later replanted using yew. The maze itself is referred to as a multicursal or puzzle maze and is known for confusing and intriguing visitors with its many twists, turns and dead ends. On average, it takes 20 minutes to reach the centre. Before the creation of the Hampton Court Maze, unicursal or single path mazes were the most popular form of maze in the UK. Unlike the puzzle maze, the single path maze has one path, usually in a spiral shape, winding to a centre point."

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #75 on: June 18, 2018, 12:53:11 PM »
Ok - yew - interesting - but the oldest - wow - need to find out what hornbeam looks like - looks like he is including lots of history in his story - with Britain being such a gardening nation folks living there probably know all about this maize and what either yew or hornbeam look like.

oh look what I found a nice video of folks who visited Hampton Court and took a video of the rose garden and the maize.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOU6abf7PkQ

oh and this one she takes video inside the buildings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KONhWnNle5A

bellamarie

« Reply #76 on: June 18, 2018, 02:30:50 PM »
Sorry I have not been able to keep up.  My brother in law passed away June 15th, after a year of battling pancreatic cancer.  He was an American Army Hero, who was awarded a Silver Star and Purple heart for leading his platoon through the jungles of Vietnam.  He had been declared dead while missing in Vietnam, only to learn he had camped out in a palm tree for days while the Vietnamese snipers swarmed the area.  He survived the V.C., but could not survive the big C.  The showing is tomorrow and the funeral on Wed.  I am so very sad to lose him, but so very thankful he is no longer suffering. 

I've decided this book just is not for me, so I will check back when Ginny returns and begins her discussion.  Thank you PatH., for bringing Three Men In A Boat to our discussion.  My adventure ended before they ever got on the boat.  Enjoy all! 
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #77 on: June 18, 2018, 03:37:23 PM »
Bellamarie, I'm so sorry.  What a fine man, and splendid hero.  All the best to you and your family.

We'll miss you here, but look forward to seeing you in Ginny's discussion.

Frybabe

« Reply #78 on: June 19, 2018, 06:36:34 AM »
I wonder if this is the Walton Church mentioned in the book. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walton-on-Thames#/media/File:St_Mary%27s_Church,_Walton-on-Thames.jpg

I got a little excited when I saw that the name Walton is related the Welsh. Wikipedia says "The name "Walton" is Anglo-Saxon in origin and is cognate with the common phonetic combination meaning "Briton settlement" (literally, "Welsh Town" – weal(as) tun). Before the Romans and the Saxons were present, a Celtic settlement was here. The most common Old English word for the Celtic inhabitants was the "Wealas", originally meaning "foreigners" or "strangers".[1]" I discovered some time ago that the Welsh language (and therefore the people?) is related to that of ancient Celtic Briton.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #79 on: June 19, 2018, 09:44:59 AM »
My, it's a lovely, lush landscape, isn't it?