Author Topic: Fiction ~ Old ~ New ~ Best Sellers #1  (Read 153388 times)

Steph

Re: Fiction ~ Old ~ New ~ Best Sellers
« Reply #120 on: January 14, 2009, 07:50:57 AM »

This is the place to talk about the works of fiction you are reading, whether they are new or old, and share your own opinions and reviews with interested readers.

Every week the new bestseller lists come out brimming with enticing looking books and rave reviews. How to choose?

Discussion Leader:  Judy Laird

Judy, I love Thomas Perry. He writes some fascinating stuff .
The Yiddish Policeman has picked up like a steamroller. Now I am really into it. The plot is hysterical. It winds and twists and you are in for a wild ride now.. Another 100 pages to go..
Glad I stuck with this one. My younger son adores Chabon and kept encouraging me.. And he was right..
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Tomereader1

« Reply #121 on: January 14, 2009, 10:54:53 AM »
Yes I'm another Thomas Perry devotee!  The only problem is you have to wait so long for his "next" book.  At this moment, I can't remember if "Pursuit" is his very latest, as I haven't yet had the good fortune to pick it up.  If it is "Jane Whitefield" book (a series) then it probably is his latest one.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #122 on: January 14, 2009, 12:19:51 PM »
Does anyone else here have a point at which they give up on a book? How about walking out on a movie? I've done that

I give up on a book if by Chapter 2 it hasn't grabbed me. Life is too short and there are too many books I think I'll enjoy to waste time on something that hasn't grabbed me.  I had to read titles when in school. I'm not in school anymore, and I don't have to read anything I can't get into, don't enjoy. 

I rarely go out to a movie, but yep, I'd walk out...as I do if one is on TV that my husband is enjoying and I'm not. 

jane

Eloise

• Montreal
« Reply #123 on: January 14, 2009, 01:00:17 PM »
Jane, me too, I don't finish a book if I don't find it excellent and I have often done that. At this time in my life my taste have narrowed down somewhat and I stick to what I really enjoy.

I had heard so much about Love at the Time of the Cholera by Marquez that I ordered it.  I just finished it and I liked the first quarter of the book and the last part, but the middle section was dragging on a bit. Sometimes it is very funny even if the author seems to be describing something serious and that could be explained by his culture and to other cultures this situation would be rather funny.

On the whole Marquez is a remarkable writer, but to earn the Nobel Prize for literature I don't know. His style is excellent but his situations seem to me a bit off mark

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #124 on: January 14, 2009, 03:53:17 PM »
I guess it's easier to stop reading a book than it is to walk out of a movie.  Years ago, when they were about the age of some of us here, my mother and my aunt, without knowing anything about it, went to see Clockwork Orange.  As Mom told me later, "we didn't know what to do. We wanted to leave, but didn't want to call attention to ourselves."  So they stayed!  I have not read the book or seen the movie, but  I do remember a gentleman telling me that that show just ruined Beethoven's 9th(?) Symphony for him.  He was never able to listen to it after seeing the movie.

Aberlaine

« Reply #125 on: January 15, 2009, 10:21:22 AM »
Mynioga, I started The Shack last night.  My daughter gave it to me for Christmas.  I know there's violence in it, so I'm taking it very slowly.  I just can't handle negativity these days.  I want to crawl into a cocoon of good news.

I'll let you know what I think about the book as I continue reading it.

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #126 on: January 15, 2009, 02:59:26 PM »
I enjoyed the  Thomas Perry book very much thanks guy's.

Boy I sure do jump around a lot. I'm reading First We'll Kill My Husband.
Its a true story about the only female woman on death row in Georgia.
So far I am loving it.  Author is Lyn Riddle.

I only walked out on one movie in my life. I think it was called Assinatation
The father was a well know actor that I liked a lot and I though well how bad could it be.
It was horrible and when the I think it was Son picked up is father took him out to the barn put him on a butcher block I got up and left. Didn't even tell
Don just left. hehe
  Oh Yeah I forgot when I left he was pouring gas on the old man then I left hehe

Steph

« Reply #127 on: January 15, 2009, 03:07:57 PM »
I also walk out on plays sometimes. We saw Lenny in London and after the nude male and then the simulated sex.. and him wandering about declaiming, We decided we were too old to enjoy him and left..
Did Finish the Yiddish Policeman and the ending is further out than even I thought he would go.. Wild ride.

mynioga

« Reply #128 on: January 15, 2009, 03:25:31 PM »
Mynioga, I started The Shack last night.  My daughter gave it to me for Christmas.  I know there's violence in it, so I'm taking it very slowly.  I just can't handle negativity these days.  I want to crawl into a cocoon of good news.

I'll let you know what I think about the book as I continue reading it.

Yes there is violence but that portion of the book is brief and doesn't dwell so much on the deed.   I prefer the happier side of life myself but it seems hard to avoid a certain amount of it.      This book really makes one think about a lot of things.    I'd like to mark it but then want to pass it along too so won't do that.    I'm wondering how widely it will be read.

Judy,   I would have walked out on that movie too.   What kind of "entertainment or even education" is that?    I feel  insulted that some producer would think the movie going public would really enjoy seeing it.
Mary

Steph

« Reply #129 on: January 16, 2009, 08:21:29 AM »
I am reading the Alexander Smith,, 44 Scotland Street, but sort of got taken up with a very bad back and new rescue dog, so am not catching up just now.. Also picked up a new Alex Kava.. I do like her heroine.

mabel1015j

« Reply #130 on: January 16, 2009, 04:40:14 PM »
I've decided that many of the powers that be in Holly wood are high much of the time and in their hallucinations don't really know what they are putting on film for us to watch - what else explains much of the silliness and gore that we are getting in the theaters these days.              ;D          I'm only half kidding.................jean

mynioga

« Reply #131 on: January 16, 2009, 07:21:02 PM »
Jean,  You might have been kidding, but I believe it is more truth than fiction, if you will pardon the pun.     There are so vvery few movies worth the watch now that it is pathetic.    It is so much more rewarding to just read a book and if you don't like the content you can send it back to the library.
Mary

Steph

« Reply #132 on: January 17, 2009, 09:34:40 AM »
In that vein.. I wanted to watch the Grissom goodbye on Thursday on CSI.. I did like him, but the show was so gory, I stopped and never saw the last 45 minutes. Why.. oh ... why does everything nowadays have to be all blood and guts and horror.. Sigh.

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #133 on: January 17, 2009, 02:17:49 PM »
I sometime enjoy true crime books such as Ann Rule so I thought this one about the woman on death row in Georgia might be good but it wasn't.

Now I get to start a new book today, I am going to go back through your selections and pick one that looks good and start over again. I just love starting a new book, somehow you really don't know what your getting til you get started.

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #134 on: January 17, 2009, 07:19:27 PM »
It was really bugging me I couldn't remember the movie I walked out on.

Its name was Affliction from a book by Russell Banks. It had Nick Nolte Sissy Spacek and James Colburn. With  those actors it should have been great, bit it wasn't.

marjifay

« Reply #135 on: January 18, 2009, 07:43:57 AM »
Hi!  Nice to have the group again. 

Thanks, Herbaltea, for recommending DOUBT.  I haven't seen the movie.  Will read the play first and hope I'm not disappointed by the film.

Some here mentioned Greg Isles' books.  I've only read his TURNING ANGEL, and was so put off by it I haven't read any others of his.  IMO, it was way too long, bloated with endless repetitive dialogue, and had way too much descriptive sex with old men and young girls.  Yuk.

I saw the movie SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE this week, and it is wonderful -- especially the  photography of India -- everything from the slums to the Taj Mahal.  Beautifully filmed with a good story.  But do see it in a theater.  I don't think it would be half so good watching it on a small screen TV.

Jean, I agree about a lot of the junk that Hollywood puts out now.  Too much technology passing for good stories and acting, i.e. Iron Man and Batman.  I think films are mostly aimed at kids.  I hate it when good actresses are shelved at age 40, while old geezers like Harrison Ford are still around cavorting with young actresses. 
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Steph

« Reply #136 on: January 18, 2009, 09:25:30 AM »
Never read Greg Iles, but my husband does..I finished 44 Scotland Street. Odd sort of book. no real plot actually, but that is generally my argument with him anyway. Also finished the Alex Kava.. Interesting, although her plots are a bit contorted. Now on the newest Ann Purser.. Something on Sunday.. forgot the exact title. but she has been doing the days of the week with her heroine.

dean69

« Reply #137 on: January 18, 2009, 04:06:56 PM »
The comments about not finishing a book unless it grabbed your attention early on struck a chord with me.  I generally give a book 20-25 pages.  I think that is long enough to get my interest.  There are too many good books and good authors to waste time with uninteresting ones.

I recently read "The Private Patient" by P. D. James.  Again she did not disappoint.  James knows how to grab and hold your interest thoughout the book.  There are, of course, many other authors who have such skill, but she is, I believe, one of the best.

mynioga

« Reply #138 on: January 18, 2009, 08:50:19 PM »
The comments about not finishing a book unless it grabbed your attention early on struck a chord with me.  I generally give a book 20-25 pages.  I think that is long enough to get my interest.  There are too many good books and good authors to waste time with uninteresting ones.

Yes, yes and yes.    I thought that as I began  Sara Gruen's   Riding Lessons.   It started off with a bang and continued to grab your interest, chapter after chapter.    You had to wonder what else could possibly happen to the characters.
Mary

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #139 on: January 18, 2009, 09:36:58 PM »
Last week my f2f book club was discussing Kipling's "Kim", and someone was  saying that "Slumdog Millionaire" had some things that seemed based on it.  Since I haven't seen "Slumdog", I don't know how true this is.  Any comments from someone who knows both?

Finishing a book you start:  I think it's a waste to give someone your time once you decide you don't enjoy their book.  But a number of times I have started a book, not gotten anywhere with it, and later gone back and gobbled it up.  I have several books on hand now that I started and know I'll want to finish sometime.

Steph

« Reply #140 on: January 19, 2009, 07:39:20 AM »
I try to give a book 100 pages. Mostly because there are some authors who need time to immerse you into another world entirely.
I also agree with Pat.. I lay books aside when I cannot finish them, but feel that maybe some day I will.. I have to be in the mood for certain types of books.

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #141 on: January 19, 2009, 05:50:20 PM »
I usually finish a book once I have started it. The true crime one was one that I didn't much care for but I finished it.
I am reading Lisa Scottoline's Lady Killer now and its a page turner.

BTW whoever was talking about Mexidcan Train Domino's did me no favor. I went on google and found the game and have been sitting here ever since. I swear I can't stop. ughhhhhhhhh

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #142 on: January 19, 2009, 07:04:09 PM »
I've given up on Debra Ginsberg's Blind Ambition, having read about a third of it.  For one thing, some of the characters seemed to me just too unbelievable.  And I'm a fan of Wall Street Journal's Cynthia Crossen, who, when reading, asks herself, "Do I really care about this character?"  And in the Ginsberg?  NO.  "If she's going to be so stupid  .    .   .   ."  I don't care at all.

Too bad.  It was a Christmas gift, too.  So what do I tell my daughter when she asks?

mabel1015j

« Reply #143 on: January 19, 2009, 07:58:05 PM »
Judy - I WARNED you that Mexican Train is addictive! teeeheeee............i know that feeling..............jean

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #144 on: January 19, 2009, 11:31:32 PM »
Mexican train - a real addiction!  ::) :o
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Steph

« Reply #145 on: January 20, 2009, 09:05:05 AM »
DArn it all. Now you make me go and look up Mexican Train.. Hmm.

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #146 on: January 20, 2009, 04:09:51 PM »
we'll probably never hear from steph again hehe

Steph

« Reply #147 on: January 21, 2009, 07:52:14 AM »
 I am back, but darn it all. I thought my solitaire addiction was bad enough.. Between that and the Wii, I got for Christmas, I may never do anything useful again..

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #148 on: January 21, 2009, 10:46:19 AM »
Oh I am so addicted to Mexican train and to Solitaire.

Joan G
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #149 on: January 21, 2009, 02:01:29 PM »
I'm becoming worried about me I swear I can't stop.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #150 on: January 21, 2009, 04:18:40 PM »
 ::) ::) ::)
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

MarjV

« Reply #151 on: January 21, 2009, 04:31:10 PM »
STEPH -    About CSI - I wish you had taped it to see the ending.   I agree it was too gory , however, the ending was cute.     Griss leaves the building after packing and the next scene is him hiking in the Costa Rica jungle and then there is Sara at her camp working with animals - so they have a big romantic hug and kiss.

It WAS my fav tv drama until last Thursday when he left and all the gore.

I know this wasn't about books but I coujldn't help commenting when I read Steph's post.

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #152 on: January 21, 2009, 04:57:58 PM »
Don't worry about it Marg we can discuss anything you like here. We are all worried about Steph as she went over into the dark side with Mexican domino's dark side. I have just come from there and have to leave to go take a lady to the doctor. Thank God I have some commitments or I would be sitting glued to domino's. 

Finished Scottoline's latest Lady Killer and enjoyed it. I like that Mary Nunzio who is her lead detectavie. I always wanted to belong or a Greek or Italion family where you had the big dinners all the time and everyone danced. Nobody danced at my house. Big fat greek weeking is my all time favorite. I love the Father with the windex.

Steph

« Reply #153 on: January 22, 2009, 12:50:17 PM »
Just now my addiction is to Wii Fit.. I am determined to peel off the extra pounds. I had a bad bad late fall and holiday season. Two weeks of touring in Washington, Annapolis and Pittsburgh.. eating all meals out because we were not in the rv.. Then Thanksgiving and Christmas in the RV at the kids.. and the first week in December on a Christmas Market river cruise.. Guess who ate dessert every single day at BOTH lunch and dinner.. Sigh..Easy on,, really hard to get off.
I am in love with Jeanette Walls book.. I keep going..NO  NO.. Why those children werent dead is beyond me.

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #154 on: January 22, 2009, 01:45:30 PM »
Steph I allways said when raising my kids, you can't kill them with a stick.hehe

mynioga

« Reply #155 on: January 22, 2009, 02:01:39 PM »

I am in love with Jeanette Walls book.. I keep going..NO  NO.. Why those children werent dead is beyond me.

I too read  Walls book  but it was so very  sad.    It brings tears to my eyes just to think of those children's story.
I never cease to be amazed at how cruel people can be to their own children.
Mary

Steph

« Reply #156 on: January 23, 2009, 07:53:33 AM »
I guess my reaction to the book is that monumentally selfish humans should not have children. Jeannette seems forgiving as an adult, but for the life of me, the parents do not make sense.. I think they are poster children for the word dyfunctional.

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #157 on: January 23, 2009, 03:34:52 PM »
Have any of you read Julia's Chocolate's?  I hear good things about it. I just recieved The Last Time I Was Me by Cathy Lamb.

It says as heartfelt as it is hilarious THE LAST TIME I WAS ME is a warm wise novel about breaking down, opening up, and finially letting go of everything we thought we should be, in order to claim the life that has been waiting all along.

Please let me know if anyone read Julia's Chocolate's

Thanks have a great day.

Steph

« Reply #158 on: January 24, 2009, 09:21:24 AM »
Judy, The Cathy Lamb book sounds interesting. Do tell us how it works. I am reading a non fiction just now.. It is about a woman who decided to look for her mothers rescuers. Her Mother was jewish and was taken in by a woman in Poland in WWII. Actually she had little to go on and the book is really involved. Nothing was exactly the way her mother and Grandfather had told her. She actually went and lived in Poland for a while trying to figure out what had happened. A good example thus far in the differences between fact and how people remember things.

Babi

« Reply #159 on: January 24, 2009, 09:52:50 AM »
  Now here is another site I thought I was signed into, but is not appearing on my list!   One I could put down to faulty memory.  Two or three suggests gremlins.  Well, I'm posting,  and will see if 'Non-fiction' is on my list next time I check.
  MARJV, I was sure Grissom planned to rejoin Sara.  I would have been so disappointed if he had not.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs