Author Topic: Fiction ~ Old ~ New ~ Best Sellers #1  (Read 153371 times)

nlhome

Re: Fiction ~ Old ~ New ~ Best Sellers
« Reply #160 on: January 24, 2009, 09:59:40 AM »
table]

This is the place to talk about the works of fiction you are reading, whether they are new or old, and share your own opinions and reviews with interested readers.

Every week the new bestseller lists come out brimming with enticing looking books and rave reviews. How to choose?

Discussion Leader:  Judy Laird

Was this the site where someone suggested Olive Kitteridge? I just finished it - still thinking about it. I didn't like Olive, but it was inteesting to see her impact on others around her and to look at her world through her eyes. Some thoughtful passages, like her description of a woman in her 70's who had more or less "won the lottery" because her husband was still alive.

N

Tomereader1

« Reply #161 on: January 24, 2009, 11:33:49 AM »
I can never remember who and in which discussion someone recommended a book or author.  If it was here (or even it it wasn't) I checked out "A Free Man of Color" by Barbra Hambly.  I enjoyed this book tremendously and will read others by this author!  So, thanks to whoever/wherever.  Please tell me I don't have to make another notebook for lists of recommendations.  LOL ::)
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #162 on: January 24, 2009, 04:52:22 PM »
BIabi don't forget this Fiction  Old  and  New    hehe I started out the Lamb book last night I think its going to be good.
How about  Julia's Chocolate anybody remember it yet?

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #163 on: January 24, 2009, 06:21:56 PM »
N,  I think it was on Book Club ONline where someone first mentioned Olive Kitteridge.  I was thinking I would like to read it someday.  Was it the book that you didn't like or the character Olive?  She was a retired schoolteacher, right?

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #164 on: January 24, 2009, 08:59:33 PM »
I was in delight is the best way to say it reading before Christmas An Irish Country Christmas by Patrick Taylor - and so I ordered the earlier book An Irish Country Doctor it arrived today but tonight are the Brit Coms so I won't start till probably Monday - tomorrow is Masterpiece Theatre - Sat and Sun my two nights of TV. - lovely gentle story about a new Doc in a small Irish community with all the characters that bring a story to life while putting a smile on your face

Finished Toni Morrison's A Mercy - enthralled with her use of language - a jewel of a book - not a big story but very satisfying -  I have her Tar Baby on order.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Steph

« Reply #165 on: January 25, 2009, 09:22:10 AM »
I wanted Grissom to go and find Lady Heather. She is much better suited for him than boring old whiny Sara.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Babi

« Reply #166 on: January 25, 2009, 10:57:07 AM »
 You found Sara boring and whiny, Steph?  Oooh!  I fully sympathized with her being sickened to the soul by all the tragedy she had to deal with on CSI.  I was glad she had the good sense to walk away in time.
    Not everyone has the ability to step back and emotionally shut out the horrors.  That is why we so often perceive police officers, or nurses, as hard and cold.  They have had to distance themselves from what is happening in order to be able to deal with it.
    Lady Heather had her own form of wisdom, but she also had a depth of cynicism that I don't believe was true of Grissom.  He was detached and realistic, but the one he loved, and chose, was the caring Sara.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

nlhome

« Reply #167 on: January 25, 2009, 03:49:14 PM »
Pedlin, I didn't like the character, Olive, in Olive Kitteridge. I did think the book was good, but one story didn't seem to fit in and I need to go back and reread parts to see why. Either I missed something or that particular story (each chapter is like a story, bit tied into the life of Olive) wasn't tied in as well as it could have been.

mynioga

« Reply #168 on: January 25, 2009, 07:43:20 PM »
Amberlaine,    I wonder how you are finding  The Shack?    I saw today that it is off the best seller list now.   No wonder,  five out of the fifteen are by Stephanie Meyer.    Somehow I think the mix should be a little more varied than that, but that is just my humble opinion.  :-[
Mary

Steph

« Reply #169 on: January 26, 2009, 07:55:08 AM »
The best seller list seems seriously skewed at times. I read the first Stephenie Meyer, but have not read others. I remember for a time, there were maybe three Harry Potters on there as well.

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #170 on: January 26, 2009, 09:01:51 AM »
I think people forget that the Best Seller list is just that...a sales listing.  I think it's used to manipulate readers who don't truly understand that name. Some people seem to think it's a BEST READS or BEST LITERATURE listing. 

I've always stood staring at people who inform me they read ALL the Best Sellers....as if that were worthy of a big gold star on their forehead or something.  I usually am left to reply...REALLY?   ;)

For those who are interested:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bestseller

and

Why the Bestsellers Lists Are Inaccurate
Most of the bestsellers lists are inaccurate. In fact, I can't think of a single exception. They claim to be comprehensive. Supposedly, they represent the best selling books in the country. But the fact is, they don’t. At best, they represent sales through a specific sales channel.

http://www.michaelhyatt.com/fromwhereisit/2006/12/why_bestseller_.html

and there are lots of other hits if you google best seller list.

jane

Aberlaine

« Reply #171 on: January 26, 2009, 09:15:32 AM »
Aberlaine,    I wonder how you are finding  The Shack?    I saw today that it is off the best seller list now.   No wonder,  five out of the fifteen are by Stephanie Meyer.    Somehow I think the mix should be a little more varied than that, but that is just my humble opinion.  :-[

I finished The Shack last week.  It was well written and people of the Christian faith may find it interesting.  I'm Jewish, so I didn't relate to the story very much.  ~~ Nancy

CubFan

« Reply #172 on: January 26, 2009, 09:31:39 AM »
An element left out of best seller lists is the "read factor".  Just because the buyer bought the sales hype doesn't mean that the book was read. A lot of "best sellers" are purchased as gifts. The buyer doesn't really know what is being bought and the receiver doesn't read the book.  Also, I was under the impression that the sales numbers are sometimes based on the number of books sold to the retail stores - not the actual sales to individuals. That's why some titles are best sellers before they are available on store shelves.  I have found that too often there is little correlation between a quality read and the best seller list.  The best seller list more often than not is a reflection of the marketing department of the book publisher.  Mary
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson

mynioga

« Reply #173 on: January 26, 2009, 12:28:23 PM »
Good information on the Best Seller List.      I did read The Story of Edgar Sawtelle and found it to be  a good story.....not sure if it would go down in history as a classic, probably not but still worth the 600 page read. ;)
Mary

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #174 on: January 26, 2009, 02:14:18 PM »
Thinking about the best seller list, I don't believe that influences me as much as the Author. If I see a new book by one of my favorite author's I grab it. Don't really care if it on the list or not.  How about you??  list or author or both.

I finished the book by Cathy Lamb I really enjoyed it but its really hard to explain. I hope someone else reads it and we can talk about it.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #175 on: January 26, 2009, 03:11:50 PM »
I've never been influenced by the Best Seller List...except in kind of a negative way.

When working as a Librarian, I depended on the professional reviewing journals for buying and my own reading.  I still prefer to look a the listing of new books our library has bought or the new book shelf and choose from there.  And I, too, look for things by my favorite authors.

Public Librarians generally have to pay attention to and show their patrons that they buy some/most of those Best Seller books since some/too many? people continue to think the Best Seller List and Oprah are the defining criteria for "good books." [whatever that means  ;D]

jane

mabel1015j

« Reply #176 on: January 26, 2009, 03:23:33 PM »
Jane - what resources would you look at to read the reviews and get what you would consider a valid opinion on the book/s? ..............jean

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #177 on: January 26, 2009, 05:19:50 PM »
Jean...
As an Academic Reference Librarian working in the Education and Psychology Library of a university, we used the professional journals in those fields which featured book reviews by those in the respective fields. We also took any suggestions from the faculty, of course.  Several of the older faculty were well known in their field and were book reviewers for the academic journals.

As a High School Librarian, I relied on Booklist and School Library Journal for the newest materials and publications like that.  There were a couple others whose names I've forgotten in the 10 years I've been retired.  Many sources are now available online.

Here is a nice listing:  http://www.stls.org/ElectronicResources/reviewsources.htm

jane

Babi

« Reply #178 on: January 27, 2009, 09:30:44 AM »
I believe our library uses Booklist.  Hearing a book was a 'best seller' would at least arouse my curiosity, but would by no means guarantee I would read it. I want to know more about it first, and am much more influenced by the opinions of the readers here.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Steph

« Reply #179 on: January 27, 2009, 09:55:05 AM »
I use a combination.. Favorite authors.. I grab them up without reading the squib.. Then Bookmarks magazine. I love it and mark it up with things I want and /or look interesting. Then I try to read a bit somewhere and make up my mind.
BEst Seller lists however are simply records of books ordered that week.. They dont tell you how many get returned in the end.

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #180 on: January 27, 2009, 11:24:33 AM »
How about  the Sunday Newspaper??

mabel1015j

« Reply #181 on: January 27, 2009, 12:13:51 PM »
Lots of good ideas, thanks...............i must admit that you folks provide me w/ a long, long list of potential reads, but i like reading reviews...........my library has a free newpaper-like handout - i've forgotten it's title, may be one that you've mentioned. I've never been influenced by the best seller lists, i tend to look for subject matter that interests me, and of course, when i find an author that i like  i keep reading her/him. ....................... jean

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #182 on: January 27, 2009, 08:32:50 PM »
I heard on the radio today that we just lost John Updike.  For some reason I was totally out of sympathy with him and could never get very far in the books I tried, but he was a superb writer, and highly thought of by almost everyone.  It's a loss.

Steph

« Reply #183 on: January 28, 2009, 09:40:35 AM »
I guess Opdyke is a loss, but after Witches, Couple and the first Rabbit, he became unreadable to me. I just wanted to find him and shake him.Rabbit was the most self obsessed character I ever saw.

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #184 on: January 28, 2009, 01:34:34 PM »
I got an e-mail from Mary Alice today and The River is coming out in paper back and wall-mart is going to feature it in Feburary.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #185 on: January 28, 2009, 04:14:58 PM »
Rabbit was the most self obsessed character I ever saw
and yet perfect social commentary at the time. In fact we still have Rabbit like characters in greater numbers than we would prefer.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Aberlaine

« Reply #186 on: January 28, 2009, 08:08:05 PM »
As a High School Librarian, I relied on Booklist and School Library Journal for the newest materials and publications like that.  There were a couple others whose names I've forgotten in the 10 years I've been retired.  Many sources are now available online.

Here is a nice listing:  http://www.stls.org/ElectronicResources/reviewsources.htm

jane

Jane, your link caught my eye immediately.  I recognized the stls as the "Southern Tier Library System".  I live in the Southern Tier (of New York) and get my books from its library system.  Small world!        ~~ Nancy

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #187 on: January 28, 2009, 08:35:36 PM »
It's a good listing, Nancy, and I'm sure a great Library system.

Libraries and librarians are very much into sharing resources and not having people duplicate what's already been created and, of course, Interlibrary Loan, is one of the most well-known of these sharing concepts.  In Iowa and in other states there is Open Access [or whatever it's called in your area] where having a Library card for one Library allows you to borrow materials from any other.

jane

Steph

« Reply #188 on: January 29, 2009, 08:14:13 AM »
Found a lovely book I had nevereven heard of in the thrift store the other day. It is a William Goldman book on his being a judge in the Film Festival in France and a judge in the Miss America contest in the same year. Very funny thus far.

hats

« Reply #189 on: January 30, 2009, 11:54:58 AM »
I finished Amagansett by Mark Mills. It's a great book. I have already put another of Mark Mills books on hold at the library, "The Savage Garden." I have a very hard time spelling "Amagansett." I would like to know how to pronounce it. Knowing how to pronounce it might help with the spelling.

Tomereader1

« Reply #190 on: January 30, 2009, 12:28:24 PM »
Hats, I think you will love A Savage Garden (Mills) I read it and even recommended it to my f2f book group, and we read it there.  It has art, history, mystery, a little romance.  A very good read!

The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

hats

« Reply #191 on: January 30, 2009, 02:26:13 PM »
Tomereader,

That sounds great. Can't wait.

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #192 on: January 30, 2009, 04:17:56 PM »
A Savage Garden I will have to pick that up it sounds good.
\
BTW does anyone know if there is a AA group for Mexican Train :-\ :-\ :-\

mynioga

« Reply #193 on: January 30, 2009, 04:56:58 PM »
Has anyone here had trouble getting into Seniors and Friends today?     I was there this morning and now I'm getting a strange blue screen saying the the account has been suspended?!?!?   It refers me to the account manager, but there is no click or anything to direct one. ???
Mary

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #194 on: January 30, 2009, 05:20:40 PM »
I was over there about an hour ago and it was fine. I just checked this minute and I got the same thing you did. I am sure its just a glitch. I saw somewhere over there that they had over 40,000 posts. Its a great thing Pat is doing over there.

mabel1015j

« Reply #195 on: January 30, 2009, 07:33:09 PM »
Seniors and friends hasn't let me register at all. Every time i "register" it comes back saying "that user name is not registered." DAH! I've asked to have them send me an e-mail acknowledgmet twice, but i've never gotten it. So, i've given up...............jean

mynioga

« Reply #196 on: January 30, 2009, 08:25:55 PM »
Well I can wait but just wanted to know if it was just me or a glitch.     It is a big undertaking to set up something like it.    I know I couldn't begin to do it.     Thanks for the feed back.
Mary

mynioga

« Reply #197 on: January 30, 2009, 08:26:47 PM »
Just went over to Srs and Fr. and it worked just fine. :)
Mary

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #198 on: January 30, 2009, 11:14:17 PM »
I wondered if being the near the end of the month we went over our limit - because I could not get in this afternoon either - looks like Pat has it all worked out and I bet she comes along soon and lets us know what happened.

I am in and out of both sites so that I can never tell for sure where I am - ah so but Seniors & Friends is working now.

marjifay

« Reply #199 on: January 31, 2009, 08:16:12 AM »
What and where is "Seniors and Friends"?
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman