Author Topic: Fiction ~ Old ~ New ~ Best Sellers #1  (Read 162644 times)

Steph

Re: Fiction ~ Old ~ New ~ Best Sellers
« Reply #840 on: August 06, 2009, 07:49:53 AM »

This is the place to talk about the works of fiction you are reading, whether they are new or old, and share your own opinions and reviews with interested readers.

Every week the new bestseller lists come out brimming with enticing looking books and rave reviews. How to choose?

Discussion Leader:  Judy Laird

My Grey Gardens book is here. It is written by a close friend who actually lived there for a while. She was also in the movie, the squib says..
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Gumtree

« Reply #841 on: August 08, 2009, 01:17:42 PM »
Didn't we read The Uncommon Reader here (or on the old site) sometime last year. I had a look in the Archives but couldn't find the discussion. It's a small book but has a lot of content and is very telling if you follow up the references to the books the Queen reads and know something about the royal court and the way it operates.
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #842 on: August 08, 2009, 02:35:17 PM »
Yes, we did. Can't help you with the archives though. They're a closed book to me. ???

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #843 on: August 08, 2009, 02:42:39 PM »
Gum, I just looked for Uncommon Reader, too, but I think we read it  2007 or later, and the archives seem to include only the SeniorNet titles we read prior to then.  It was a neat little book.

mrssherlock

« Reply #844 on: August 08, 2009, 03:20:27 PM »
after many references to The Help by Kathryn Stockett I was eager to read it when the library notified me that my copy was ready.  I don't know where to start.  One thing is the characters keep popping up in my brain.  I miss them already.  I want to know what happens next.  ALthough it was painful reading some parts, others were funny.  I think I'll never eat Chocolate Cream Pie again!  And the Take Your Seat incident; wish there were pictures. 
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Gumtree

« Reply #845 on: August 08, 2009, 11:43:15 PM »
I think a few book discussions were lost around the time SN went bottom up. We're lucky to have so many - thanks to whoever saved them for us.

JoanK : The archives are as simple as Click Click Click  ;)

Babi

« Reply #846 on: August 09, 2009, 09:10:29 AM »
 Strong endorsement, JACKIE.  I'll have to see if my library has "The Help", but
I will be grieved if the book ruins chocolate cream pie for me. Not that I've
eaten any in a long time, but still.... :(
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Steph

« Reply #847 on: August 09, 2009, 09:30:22 AM »
Hmm, the very thought of chocolate Cream pie makes my thighs expand.. But oh I do so love chocolate.
Am reading a most unusual book. It is about a man who is close friends with a particular group of Amish ( very strict types). He writes of them and of one of the children who left them to join what they called the English ( thats anyone who is not Amish). Very interesting indeed.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #848 on: August 10, 2009, 01:20:04 PM »
Jackie,

Yes " The Help" had some extremely painful parts but I really do miss the characters too...It was a book that really grabbed me and I miss it.  I don't get that kind of reaction to most books that I read anymore and that is what I keep looking for in a book.

Joan Grimes
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

mrssherlock

« Reply #849 on: August 10, 2009, 02:32:53 PM »
I wonder if she will write a sequel?
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

winsummm

« Reply #850 on: August 10, 2009, 05:51:53 PM »
judy thanks for referral.  I just downloaded  the sample o riding lessons by sra gruen to my kindle. i have water for elephants in print but it is hard for me to read ow. I blow kindle books up six times, the max and even then need ot only glasses but occasionally a strong magnifyer. my macular degeneration is movig on again for a while it didn't and then there are always those not quite ready cataracts.  I'm reading a really good free kindle book  right now called parenoia about corporate spying. . . fiction and hard to put down.
claire
thimk

winsummm

« Reply #851 on: August 10, 2009, 05:59:17 PM »
I am reading slowly olive kittredge one story at a time.  there are thirteen of them and so fair the first two are excellent. I'm saving them.

claire
thimk

Steph

« Reply #852 on: August 11, 2009, 08:45:55 AM »
I was not fond of Sara Gruens elephant book, but loved the riding lesson one.. When my glasses broke while we were away, I used magnifier glasses to read. My back up glasses did not have the right prescription for reading. Boy was I mad.

nlhome

« Reply #853 on: August 11, 2009, 08:57:22 PM »
Winsumm, I had a really hard time with Olive. I did not like her. I tried. I just did not like her. I read the book, because it was well written and had been recommended. And, I often prefer short stories or self-contained chapters, because of time. Do you like the character?

Steph

« Reply #854 on: August 12, 2009, 07:43:05 AM »
There are very few short story writers that I like. One if Bobby Mason, who writes short stories many times with one person used.. She will have her at differeent ages, etc. Thats interesting.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #855 on: August 12, 2009, 10:10:42 AM »
Steph, I haven't read any of Bobby Anne Mason's short stories, but have enjoyed some of her novels, In Country and Feather Crowns, the latter about quintuplets born to a pioneer family.  Just looked up Mason on Wiki --In addition to being a journalist, she has a PhD in literature -- dissertaton on a work by Nabokov.

I have to return Olive Kitteridge to the library, but it should be easy to pick up again, seeing as how it's mainly short stories.  Nlhome, I can see what you mean about not liking her, but I haven't read enough yet to make a decision.  I've been reading while travelling and sleeze (Dubus' Garden of Last Days) won out over bitchy.

mrssherlock

« Reply #856 on: August 12, 2009, 01:58:43 PM »
it's been a while but I liked the book and the way the stories filled in the details of that little slice of life.  Olive herself was not a likeable charater but she lived among epoepl who were. 
Jackie

winsummm

« Reply #857 on: August 12, 2009, 03:10:14 PM »
do i like olive. no but she is the focal point for all these stories. the setting is where she lives and she has an impact on all these lives. she herself is pretty hard to take but that is what she is supposed to be.

claire
thimk

CallieOK

« Reply #858 on: August 12, 2009, 06:09:16 PM »
I've just started Olive Kitteridge.  As long as I keep in mind that these are dissimilar stories with one character as the thread, I can read each one without trying to connect them to each other.  So far, so good.

Babi

« Reply #859 on: August 13, 2009, 08:27:27 AM »
 'Sleeze over bitchy'.  Gee, PEDLN, that's a tough one.  ::)
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Steph

« Reply #860 on: August 13, 2009, 08:30:52 AM »
Hmm. sleeze and bitchy.. Are you describing Jackie Collins?? As I remember she specializes in that sort of stuff.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #861 on: August 31, 2009, 12:31:33 PM »
I want to remind everyone that THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD discussion starts tomorrow. You'll find it at http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=693.80

The book has mystery, possible murder and . . . comedy! The text is available online or you likely can find the book in your library or bookstore.

I hope you'll join us. If you read the book, you'll also be prepared to talk about THE LAST DICKENS with author Matthew Pearl who has graciously indicated he'll participate with us in the discussion of his book in October. Matthew Pearl's book is an exciting mystery with romance and intrigue.

Babi

« Reply #862 on: September 01, 2009, 02:10:14 PM »
 I am now reading Kathryn Stockett's "The Help" and I understand what everyone has been saying about her characters.  They are so real, so believable.  I have a hard time putting it down.  And of course there is more
than one character I would love to give a good smack and a good 'talking to'.

mrssherlock

« Reply #863 on: September 01, 2009, 05:51:02 PM »
I'm hoping for more "Help".
Jackie

Steph

« Reply #864 on: September 02, 2009, 07:40:12 AM »
I keep hearing about Help, but have not done anything to see if I could find it.

Babi

« Reply #865 on: September 02, 2009, 08:19:33 AM »
  When I first started reading "The Help", I thought it was going to be just
another book on the racism theme.  While it is that, I found the characters hold my interest completely.  It's well worth finding, STEPH.

mabel1015j

« Reply #866 on: September 02, 2009, 02:44:04 PM »
My library has 6 copies of "Help" and i've been keeping an eye on them on the on-line catalogue, they've all been checked out for months - guess that's a good thing. I'll wait a while until it comes off "the new book" list and then i can have it for a month instead of just 2 weeks............can't wait, it sounds enticing..................jean

Steph

« Reply #867 on: September 03, 2009, 08:06:25 AM »
I am going to read it, but I may wait until paper.. Easier to hold and read.

Babi

« Reply #868 on: September 03, 2009, 08:44:22 AM »
  I've slowed down my reading of "The Help". I'm nearing the end, and I don't
know what kind of ending I'm going to find.  On top of that, I'm going to be
reluctant to say good-bye to some of the characters I've met here, esp.
Aibilain and Hinny. 

mrssherlock

« Reply #869 on: September 03, 2009, 09:30:44 AM »
Babi: That is quite a dilemma when the story is so good you can't put the book down but the closer you get to the end the less you want it to end.
Jackie

Steph

« Reply #870 on: September 04, 2009, 07:46:20 AM »
Oh, I do love books that I like the characters and dont want the book to end. Harder and harder to find nowadays.

Babi

« Reply #871 on: September 04, 2009, 08:44:15 AM »
  Well, I've come to the end of "The Help" and I think the ending was just as
it should be.  Ms Stockett didn't make the mistake of have everything come
out 'happily ever after', but it did on tje right note.  My favorite people came
out a bit stronger, facing some life changes with strength and confidence.
  Definitely a book I would recommend.

Steph

« Reply #872 on: September 05, 2009, 09:15:00 AM »
Just starting a new book.. "The Heroines".. Got it from Bas Bleu and it looks like a good read, although a bit unusual.

mrssherlock

« Reply #873 on: September 05, 2009, 12:43:54 PM »
Steph:  Tell us more about The Heroines, please.
Jackie

Steph

« Reply #874 on: September 06, 2009, 09:29:13 AM »
The Heroines so far.. The narrator and her mother run a boarding house.. Besides the regular guests, fictional heroines come and spend a few days or hours. Her Mother does not tell them, she knows their stories and keeps all book locked up in the attic. The narrator is 13 and she does not like it when the heroines come because her mother spends more time with them. The outcome of the stories is unaffected and the heroines just need a rest.. Just now a prince or villain has appeared ( hard to tell which, not a heroine that I ever heard of) and the narrator is with him.. Very fantasy and diary like. It is fun, but oh me,, different indeed

mrssherlock

« Reply #875 on: September 06, 2009, 10:13:26 AM »
Steph:  You've got me hooked.
Jackie

Steph

« Reply #876 on: September 07, 2009, 08:28:06 AM »
Hang on Jackie, it is a wild ride . At this point, I suspect a rereading at the end will help. Very very complicated in layers. Who the heck is Deirdre.. She is Irish fictional character and I have never heard of her.

Gumtree

« Reply #877 on: September 12, 2009, 01:16:39 PM »
Steph -Who the heck is Deirdre?

Sounds like you're referring to Deirdre of the Sorrows. She is THE iconic tragic heroine in Irish mythology. There are many variations on her story...beautiful, promised to marry one, sought after by many, runs off to marry Naoise who is supported by his brothers -plenty of fighting for her and for her honour - her man and his brothers are killed -Conchubar still wants her but is afraid she has lost her beauty - she hasn't - eventually she kills herself or dies of grief or...or...
A classic Irish myth.

If you're interested -John Millington Synge wrote a play about her - Deirdre of the Sorrows - tragic and brilliant

W.B Yates also did a play about her just called 'Deirdre' I think

There are others too as well as the classic tales in Irish folklore - there's even an opera...

Now can you tell me who wrote this book 'The Heroines" please? I might just try to get it.

Steph

« Reply #878 on: September 13, 2009, 12:50:45 PM »
Thank you.. So now I know why the hero/villain is called Conor..I will have to tell you the author tomorrow. I am upstairs, my book is downstairs and so is my company.. If I go down, will have to stay. I am sort of hiding out.. Too many people for the last two weeks.
Our heroine has ended up in a nut farm..i.e. sanitarium.. A very odd one with a very odd doctor indeed. She has told someone about the heroines, which earned her a threat of electro shock.. Hmm. This book is way too strange at times. She cannot decide if she likes or hates Conor, but wants him to save her, but then she is 13 and they are not known for any common sense whatsoever.

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #879 on: September 13, 2009, 06:30:02 PM »
I've been reading a lot but not liking most of it.
Its hard to get used to a place like this and we aren't useing it to its fullest.
I just read a book called Travels with Doris. Its written by a man who
lives up on the Plateau in Redmond and its a true story of their travels
during their 70's and 80. They travel with no reservations and a pack weighing
about 20#. Very interesting not my cuip of tea but interesting.

Read Susan Wigg's book Just Breathe and couldn't put it down. I really enjoy her books.

For my mystery of  the week I read Married to a Stranger by Patricia MacDonald.
I enjoyed it and now I am going to take them down and put them in the library.