Author Topic: Story of Civilization ~ Will & Ariel Durant  (Read 361233 times)

Justin

Re: Story of Civilization ~ Will & Ariel Durant
« Reply #560 on: December 01, 2009, 04:38:06 PM »

"I want to know what were the steps by which
man passed from barbarism to civilization (Voltaire)"

What are our origins?
Where are we now?
Where are we headed?
Share your thoughts with us!
   Volume Five (The Renaissance)

"Four elements constitute Civilization -- economic provision, political organization, moral traditions, and the pursuit of knowledge and the arts. "

"I shall proceed as rapidly as time and circumstances will permit, hoping that a few of my contemporaries will care to grow old with me while learning. "

"These volumes may help some of our children to understand and enjoy the infinite riches of their inheritance."

"Civilization begins where chaos and insecurity ends."

SAVONAROLA AND THE REPUBLIC

The Prophet
The Statesman
Literature: The Martyr
Architecture and Sculpture: The Republic and the Medici
Art Under the Revolution

In this volume the  term "Renaissance" refers only to Italy. Will Durant studies the growth of industry, the rise of banking families like the Medici, the conflicts of labor and capital and considers the reasons why Italy was the first nation, and Florence the first city in Italy, to feel the awakening of the modern mind. He follows the cultural flowering from Florence to Milan, Mantua, Ferrata, Verona and Venice, Padua and Parma, Bologna, Rimini, Urbino, Perugia, Siena, and Naples. 

In each city of Italy we witness a colorful pageant of princes, queeens, dukes, or doges -- of poets, historians, scientists, and philosophers -- of painters, sculptors, engravers, illuminators, potters, and architects -- of industry, education, manners, morals, crime, and dress -- of women and love and marriage -- of epidemics, famines, earthquakes, and death.

Dr. Durant draws vivid vignettes -- of Petrarch, Boccaccio, Cosimo de' Medici, Fra Angelico, Donatello, Beatrice and Isabella d'Este, Leonardo da Vinci, Piero della Francesca, Signorelli, Perugino, Giovanni Bellini, Giorgione, Aldus Manutius, Correggio, Alexander VI, Caesar and Lucrezia Borgia, Julius II, Leo X, Raphael, and Michelangelo.

The Renaissance, by recalling classic culture, ended the thousand year rule of the Oriental mind in Europe.

This volume, then, is about YOU. Join our group daily and listen to what Durant and the rest of us are saying. Better yet, share with us your opinions.

Discussion Leader: robby

Thank you Robby for a wonderful find. This my first exposure to "old Europe." Till now, as you know, the earliest civilization we have known about is Sumeria. "Old Europe" seems to be coexistent with Sumeria but with origins in Macedonia or the steppes. Their pottery is advanced with complex geometric designs and in one example the vessel bears symbols similar to those used in Early Egyptian #rd Dynasty)  pictorial language.  Copper tools must have been very difficult to work with-too soft.

Emily

« Reply #561 on: December 02, 2009, 09:44:02 PM »
The find in a Romanian cemetary of an ancient civilization that produced artifacts in gold, bronze, and made figurines long before other claims of civilization, brought to mind an article I read a while ago about a cave find there.

I went looking and here is an excerpt...............

Prehistory and Antiquity

The oldest modern human remains in Europe were discovered in the "Cave With Bones" in present day Romania. The remains are approximately 42,000 years old and as Europe’s oldest remains of Homo sapiens, they may represent the first such people to have entered the continent.

But the earliest written evidence of people living in the territory of the present-day Romania comes from Herodotus in book IV of his Histories (Herodotus) written 440 BCE, where he writes about the Getae tribes.

Emily

3kings(Trevor)

« Reply #562 on: December 02, 2009, 11:10:27 PM »
We have a priest from Poland visiting Auckland, and my wife, who is Polish born, asked him to stay in our home. Last evening, we were chatting about fees charged for various services by the Church. He told the following story which I found amusing.

A few years back, when the Holy Father was a Pole, he was approached by some American business men, who asked could they suggest a small change be made to the Lord's Prayer.

"Oh, no." said the Pope. "Such a thing could never be done. That prayer contains the very words of Jesus Christ. They could never be changed."

"But still, your Holiness, could you not just hear our proposal. If we come to an agreement we could gift $250 million to the Church."

"No ! Not for any sum could such a thing be done!"

"But Holy Father we would pay well. If in the line where the faithful say ' Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive ... !"

"No ! Never, I say."

"But we would pay so well! If you just added the phrase   ' and Coke' after the mention of bread, we would pay you $1 billion!"

"No ! Please leave immediately. The Church will not hear anymore of your request"

Sadly, the Americans caught the next plane back to New York. One was heard to say " If he wouldn't accept even $1billion, I wonder how much the Bakers pay ?" ++ Trevor

Justin

« Reply #563 on: December 03, 2009, 12:27:17 AM »
That's very funny Trevor. It's also an indication of how closed the church is on theological topics. Administration policies have  changed as a revolving door but theology has been rock solid once they got it all in place. It was pretty fluid for many centuries but once tradition was established change was resisted with vigor. I think Vatican 2 changed lots of trim but not much in the way of theology. The basic ideas are still much the same as they have always been vis a vis the Apostle's Creed. Changes in the constitution of divine revelation served more to clarify what was already established practice rather than to change anything in a drastic way.

Robby

« Reply #564 on: December 03, 2009, 08:22:15 PM »
But isn't this story also indicative of how rock solid the business world is by seeing all values only in terms of money?

Robby

Justin

« Reply #565 on: December 04, 2009, 03:16:39 PM »
Yes, I think so, Robby. The business model is based on profit. It has always been thus and i suspect it will continue thus. The labels may change from time to time. The process may take a different form from time to time but the driver is always the profit motive and the bottom line the objective.

Flankton

« Reply #566 on: December 05, 2009, 12:28:20 PM »
So I just barely happened upon this discussion board and I am interested in getting involved.  I have owned the Story of Civilization books for several years and I need an excuse to start reading them.  It looks like the group has been on the same chapter, "Savonarola and the Republic" for the entire year.....is that right??  Can someone explain to me the format of this group? 

Thanks!

Gumtree

« Reply #567 on: December 05, 2009, 01:13:29 PM »
Just catching up with this discussion and thought I'd better stop lurking today and say hello to all.

Thanks Robby for bringing Old Europe to the board. I had no idea. It's fascinating  to ponder their society.

Thanks JoanK too for the link to the artifacts found. No trouble in accessing the site. Their decorations have a geometic look to them which I find agreeable and as has been pointed out some have something of the Egyptian look to them.

Brian - I too, have a small collection of cowrie shells - they are quite beautiful - mine range in size from tiny, tiny ones to quite large examples.

Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #568 on: December 05, 2009, 06:32:52 PM »
FLANKTON: WELCOME, WELCOME! How did you find us?

You don't need the book. Our fearless leader, Robby, posts passages from it (where are you Robby) and we comment. When we run out of things to say, he posts another one. We started at the beginning, and this is where we've gotten.

Check out our other discussions, too. You get a list by going to home, or clicking on the arrow next to the "go" button at the bottom of the page.

great to see you, GUM. I have a cowrie, too. And a chambered nautilus, neatly sliced in half, so you can see the chambers.

Robby

« Reply #569 on: December 05, 2009, 07:31:37 PM »
Welcome, Flankton!!  Disregard the info in the Heading.  I have not been able to bring it up to date due to our changing from Senior Net.  (long story!!)  We are now on Page 370 in Volume Five (Renaissance) and are discussing the paragraph which begin "The Majority of the Delegates" on Page 369.  I diverted our group her by posting an article about anthropoligical digs in Old Europe.  They welcome such diversion from time to time and have been back to Durant.  Over the weekend I will go on to the next paragraph.

Robby

Robby

« Reply #570 on: December 05, 2009, 07:53:02 PM »

Eugenius was rescued by the Turks.

As the Ottomans came ever nearer to Constantinople, the Byzantines decided that Constantinople was worth a Roman Mass, and that a reunion of Greek with Roman Christianity was an indispensable prelude to securing military aid from the West.  The Emperor John VIII sent an embassy to Martin V to propose a council of both churches.

The Council of Basel dispatched envoys to John explaining that the Council was superior in power to the pope, was under the protection of the Emperor Sigismund and would procure money and troops for the defense of Constantinople if the Greek Church would deal with the Council rather than with the Pope.

Eugenius sent his own embassy, offering aid on condition that the proposal of union should be had before a new council to be called by him at Ferrara.  John decided for Eugenius.  The Pope summoned to Ferrara such of the hierarchy as were still loyal to him.  Many leading prelates, including Cesarini and Nicholas of Cusa, abandoned Bas;el for Fverrara, feeling that the matter of prime importance was the negotiation with the Greeks.

The Council at Basel lingered on but with mounting exasperation and declining prestige.

Somehow, in all this, I haven't seen anything about how the church benefits.

Robby

Justin

« Reply #571 on: December 06, 2009, 01:44:34 AM »
Like all tyrants Martin wants the  whole world for his jurisdiction. Step one is a merger with the Greeks. I think he'd like to get to China before Islam for another piece of the world. Marco polo is already there and the Portuguese will sail into Edo harbor in another few decades. The Ottoman Turks are on the march. They have been engaged in Venice and will continue there until well into the sixteenth century. The contest has been and will continue to be over trade. Religion is a side issue but Martin merges the two and Eugenius is more pious than political. The trick to defeating the Turks is a merger between Genoa and Venice but that answer is a long way off.

Justin

« Reply #572 on: December 06, 2009, 01:48:27 AM »
Welcome Flankton and Gumtree. I encourage you to read the book as well as Robby's excerpt. It helps to know the context from which the posting is derived. Nice to have you with us.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #573 on: December 06, 2009, 05:17:21 PM »
I admit, I'm a little lost. I can see why the Romans would want to bring Greece and the Greek church under their sway, but why would the Greeks want it? Was the plan to conquer Greece? to pursuade Greece? have I misunderstood the whole thing?

Emily

« Reply #574 on: December 06, 2009, 11:35:13 PM »
Joan the following explains........

"As the Ottomans came ever nearer to Constantinople, the Byzantines decided that Constantinople was worth a Roman Mass, and that a reunion of Greek with Roman Christianity"

The Ottomans were Turks. Constantinople was in Turkey and the center of Byzantine Christianity. The Turks were on the march to capture Constantinople and turn it into an Islamic city, along with the rest of the territory that now comprises modern day Turkey. They will succeed eventually. The beautiful cathedral will become a mosque.

The city is now called Istanbul. Byzantine Christianity is the Greek Orthodox Church, but the center for the church was in present day Turkey, not Greece.

I hope this helps, I feel a little befuddled myself. 

Emily

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #575 on: December 07, 2009, 02:32:31 PM »
Thanks, Emily!

mabel1015j

« Reply #576 on: December 07, 2009, 03:11:37 PM »
Catching up.......................

Joan asked

I wonder what the average person made of all this?

I doubt if 1% of them had any idea all of this back and forth discussion was going on. And they probably didn't care until/unless something poked at them in their village church, asking them to change.

The problem w/ being an autocratic person, or institution, is there's always someone(s) who don't want to listen or behave! Darn! If people were just little robots who would do as they were programmed, life would be much easier for the hierarchy.

Isn't much of history a story of how one group or nation has underestimated another group or nation, or nationality, or tribe, or age-group, or regional group - like Southerners, remember Sam Ervin, the "I'm just a simple country lawyer" senator? It would be fun to teach a course based on those assumptions.

And speaking of teaching a course - thank you Robby for that article. If i was teaching Western Civ next semester i'd have to revamp my whole pre-history/early civilizations unit!  ???  What a great find! Thank you Joan for the link.

mabel1015j

« Reply #577 on: December 07, 2009, 03:18:17 PM »
huuuummmm. From "the more things change, the more they stay the same" school of knowledge.

Many of the figurines represent women in stylized abstraction, with truncated or elongated bodies and heaping breasts and expansive hips.

Beyonce would be popular in every era...........................and then the writer intellectualizes it w/

The explicit sexuality of these figurines invites interpretations relating to earthly and human fertility.

LOL LOL....................jean

Justin

« Reply #578 on: December 07, 2009, 05:27:45 PM »
Joan: You will recall that during the Crusades, only a century ago, the first stop on the route to Jerusalem was at Constantinople. It was Adrian, emperor of Constantinople, who petitioned the Pope of that time to help him out because Islam was threatening to close off access to the Christian holy places.

Now, a century later, the emperor of Constantinople is back preparing to ask for more Papal help. He realizes that this time he must give more to get help and a settling of their theological differences is the place to start. So the orthodox churches, based in Constantinople, are playing PMA  with the Pope.

The Pope, for his part of the deal, is hard pressed to present a united front as the Pope did a century earlier. He has schism problems. The Cardinals in Council think they are in charge so they respond to the Byzantine's request. Then the Pope responds to the Byzantines. The Council is outfoxed and the Pope takes over the action leaving the council to die on the vine. Most prelates in Western Christendom want a merger. 

Justin

« Reply #579 on: December 07, 2009, 05:42:06 PM »
Joan:One additional dimension you may be missing.

The Greek Orthodox Church is not only a characteristic of the Greeks it is also Russian, Ethiopean, Rumanian, Albanian, etc. It is all centered in Constantinople and is called Byzantine. The emperor of Constantinople is the eastern half of the split in the Roman empire. He is a Roman Emperor.

Hope that helps. It's easy to get out of sync in this morass of renaissance life.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #580 on: December 07, 2009, 09:13:52 PM »
AHA! Now I see the light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks Emily and Justin!!

Robby

« Reply #581 on: December 07, 2009, 10:30:37 PM »
Justin:

So does that make Russia and Turkey allies?

Robby

Justin

« Reply #582 on: December 08, 2009, 02:33:54 AM »
Nothing can make the Russians and the Turks allies. They were at war from the tenth century through the First World War when the TURKS  were crushed by the West.

Robby

« Reply #583 on: December 08, 2009, 06:45:26 AM »
But if the Greek Orthodox Church is characteristic of Russia?

Robby

Emily

« Reply #584 on: December 08, 2009, 09:57:19 PM »
From Wikipedia

At the Council of Florence (1439), a group of Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox Church leaders agreed upon terms of reunification of the two branches of Christianity. The Russian Prince Basil II of Moscow, however, rejected the concessions to the Catholic Church and forbade the proclamation of the acts of the Council in Russia in 1452, after a short-lived East-West reunion. Metropolitan Isidore was in the same year expelled from his position as an apostate.

In 1448, the Russian Church became independent from the Patriarchate of Constantinople. Metropolitan Jonas, installed by the Council of Russian bishops in 1448, was given the title of Metropolitan of Moscow and All Russia. This was just five years before the fall of Constantinople in 1453. From this point onward the Russian Orthodox Church saw Moscow as the Third Rome, legitimate successor to Constantinople, and the Primate of Moscow as head of the Russian Orthodox Church.

The Greek Orthodox Church with its center in Constantinople expanded East and converted the Russians. Constantinople was the center of Eastern Christianity, as Rome was to the West. The Russians were part of the Eastern Church at Constantinople.

The short excerpt above on the Russian Orthodox church is relative to the time period we are now in SOC. It gives us a timeline of the fall of Constantinople, and the Russian Orthodox church claiming the title once held by the Byzantines.

Emily

Justin

« Reply #585 on: December 09, 2009, 12:49:15 AM »
Russia at the time was not Russia at all but Muscovy, a country with Moscow at it center and its borders less than a thousand miles distant from the central city. It did not, for example, include St Petersburg. By 1700, after the czardom of Peter the Great and by 1780 after Catherine the borders were almost as they are now. The defeat of the Ottoman Turks in WW1 brought more territory to Russia.

Justin

« Reply #586 on: December 09, 2009, 12:52:04 AM »
Robby: Are we missing your thought?

Robby

« Reply #587 on: December 10, 2009, 07:08:36 AM »
Should we consider Russia the East or the West?

Robby

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #588 on: December 10, 2009, 03:01:01 PM »
I think the Russians had the same question.

Robby

« Reply #589 on: December 10, 2009, 08:24:37 PM »
I am in  hopes that you will all forgive me if I again interrupt "Renaisssance" to post an article which I believe, for many reasons, our group will find relevant.

Thomas Hoving, Who Shook Up the Met, Dies at 78
By RANDY KENNEDY
Thomas Hoving, the charismatic showman and treasure hunter whose decade-long tenure as director of the Metropolitan Museum of Art fundamentally transformed the institution and helped usher in the era of the museum blockbuster show, died Thursday at his home in Manhattan. He was 78.

The cause was lung cancer, his wife, Nancy, said.

One of the breed of brash, self-mythologizing leaders like Mayor Edward I. Koch who came to define New York in the 1970s, Mr. Hoving spent a whirlwind year running the city’s parks before taking over the Met at a time when it was, as many thought and as he boldly told trustees, “moribund,” “gray” and “dying.”

He became its seventh director and, at 35, its youngest. And during his tumultuous reign, the museum did many things it had never done before, often for the better, sometimes for the worse: it formed a contemporary art department and displayed Pop painting alongside Poussin and David; regularly draped the now-familiar banners on its facade to advertise shows; created the enlarged front steps that have become Fifth Avenue’s bleachers; paid $5.5 million for a single painting (the Velázquez masterpiece “Juan de Pareja”) while quietly selling works by Van Gogh, Rousseau and others to help pay for it.

The museum also opened new galleries dedicated to Islamic art, organized a major reinstallation of its Egyptian wing and set in motion an expansion program that eventually resulted in a much larger American wing, a glass-walled addition for the Temple of Dendur, a wing for the arts of Africa, the Pacific Islands and the Americas, and a new southwest wing, now dedicated to modern and contemporary art.

Two years into his tenure, the Met received the largest donation of art in its history, the collection of the investment banker Robert Lehman.A new $7 million pavilion to display it — functioning essentially as a museum within the museum — opened in 1975.

In his establishment-rattling mission to make the art museum a more populist institution, Mr. Hoving was “probably the most influential and innovative museum official of the postwar period,” Michael Kimmelman wrote in The New York Times.

Philippe de Montebello, who worked for many years under Mr. Hoving and succeeded him as director, said Thursday: “People criticized him for his excesses, but you have to remember that it is not the timorous who climb life’s peaks. He has left us with a changed museum world.”

Mr. Hoving helped greatly enlarge the Met’s collections, often in dramatic fashion, letting few things, least of all shame, stand in his way. A rangy 6-foot-3 man with boyish, at times explosive energy, he described how he once pleaded with a dealer who knew about the medieval ivory masterpiece known as the Bury Saint Edmunds cross, telling him: “I am being devoured by this cross. I want it, I need it.”

He outmaneuvered the Smithsonian Institution to get the crowd-pleasing Temple of Dendur and helped save an entire prairie house by Frank Lloyd Wright, whose living room was meticulously reassembled in the American Wing.

But the story of probably his greatest acquisition coup — an exquisite 2,500-year-old Greek vase adorned by the master painter Euphronios, bought in 1972 for $1 million — did not end as happily.

Even before the vase went on display, experts contended that it had been wrested illicitly from an Etruscan tomb near Rome. In 2006, after years of demands from the Italian government, the Met agreed to return the vessel to Italy in exchange for long-term loans of other antiquities.

Mr. Hoving admitted in “Making the Mummies Dance,” his rollicking 1993 memoir about his years at the Met, that he knew that the vase, which he jokingly called the “hot pot,” had probably been smuggled out of Italy. But he made no apologies for his ask-questions-later approach to acquisitions, one he had formed as early as his days as a curator at the Cloisters, the Metropolitan Museum’s medieval branch.

“My collecting style was pure piracy, and I got a reputation as a shark,” he wrote, adding that his little black book of “dealers and private collectors, smugglers and fixers” was bigger than anyone’s.

Despite his braggadocio, Mr. Hoving, the son of a Fifth Avenue merchandising tycoon, proved to be an able administrator and budgeteer. Even during the city’s fiscal crisis, when many other large cultural institutions were in the red, the museum was usually able to balance its books, and its merchandising operation grew tremendously during his years, eventually contributing more than $1 million in annual income.

But Mr. Hoving tended to receive more attention for his temporary contributions to the Met than for his permanent ones. Along with J. Carter Brown, the director of the National Gallery of Art in Washington, he was one of the architects of the blockbuster exhibition, which introduced to the Met’s galleries the carnival atmosphere of a summer movie opening.

Mr. Hoving defended such shows against criticism that they cheapened the museum and that they were intended solely to plump attendance and admission-fee income. “Great art should be shown with great excitement,” he once said, citing an observation by a previous Met director that the museum is the “midwife of democracy.”

“And damn it, it is!” he said.

His negotiations with Egyptian authorities in 1975 were pivotal in bringing about the first American tour of the treasures from the tomb of Tutankhamun. During one of several visits to Egypt to cajole and twist arms, Mr. Hoving recalled, he and his assistants were left mostly alone with piles of Tut artifacts, and Mr. Hoving claimed to have wheeled around the pharaoh’s solid-gold inner coffin himself.

The exhibition arrived at the Met in December 1978 after attracting 5.6 million people at five other museums across the country, and drew almost 1.3 million during its four-month stay in New York, generating more than $100 million in additional tourism money for the city.

Besides the Tutankhamun show, he also oversaw several highly popular and often well-received exhibitions, like “The Great Age of Fresco,” in 1968; “The Year 1200,” in 1970; “Masterpieces of Tapestry” in 1974; “From the Lands of the Scythians,” in 1975, a display of gold treasures mostly from the Hermitage; and “The Impressionist Epoch,” which set a special-exhibition attendance record the same year.

Early in his tenure, however, he helped organize an exhibition that almost ruined his career. “Harlem on My Mind,” a 1969 multimedia show of photographs and recordings focused on the history of Harlem, was intended, as Mr. Hoving later wrote, “to chronicle the creativity of the downtrodden blacks and at the same time encourage them to come to the museum.”

Instead it enraged many New Yorkers, black and otherwise, who saw the show — an exhibition in a major art museum that included no paintings or sculpture — as paternalistic and insulting, though it did result in the discovery of James Van Der Zee’s important photographic work from the 1920s and ’30s. The show’s catalog included anti-Semitic (along with anti-Irish and anti-Hispanic) remarks by a young black essayist, setting off protests by both blacks and Jews. Mr. Hoving apologized for the essay, saying that in approving it he “wholly failed to sense the racial undertones that might be read into portions of it.”

In 1975, decisions he made about another exhibition also got him into trouble. Along with Mr. de Montebello, a deputy at the time, Mr. Hoving cut 50 paintings from a show organized with the Louvre and the Detroit Institute of Arts, “French Painting 1774-1830: The Age of Revolution.”

Mr. Hoving said the decision was made solely to control the show’s costs. But Robert Rosenblum, a leading art historian who had helped organize the show, accused the museum of removing the paintings because they were by lesser-known artists, a shameful decision, he said, to sacrifice scholarship for “predictable box-office results.”

The chairman of the museum’s European paintings department and a curator in the department resigned in part because of the decision. Mr. Hoving later wrote that he had tried to convince Mr. Rosenblum and others that “there was a difference between an art exhibition and a scholarly tome.”

“But that made them even angrier.”

Thomas Pearsall Field Hoving was born in New York City on Jan. 15, 1931, the elder child of Walter Hoving, a renowned merchandiser who was president of Bonwit Teller and then chairman of Tiffany & Company, and Mary Osgood Field Hoving, a descendant of Samuel Osgood, the first postmaster general of the United States. His parents divorced when he was 5, and he grew up mostly in Manhattan.

As a child, he spent a considerable amount of time visiting the Metropolitan Museum, where he gravitated to the Egyptian wing and was especially fascinated by a temple relief in which only the pharaoh’s lips remained clearly visible on his profile. “I looked deeply into the lips of King Akhenaten,” he told John McPhee in a profile in The New Yorker in 1967.

Mr. Hoving’s early academic career was checkered. He was eased out of the Buckley School on the Upper East Side in the fourth grade and spent the next five years at Eaglebrook School in western Massachusetts. From there he went to Phillips Exeter Academy in New Hampshire, where he lasted only six months, leaving after an incident in which he punched a Latin teacher.

He graduated from Hotchkiss School in Connecticut, then worked a summer as a copy boy for the columnist Sidney Fields of the New York newspaper The Daily Mirror, a job that seemed to jumpstart a lifelong, and sometimes ill-advised, affection for media attention. (He joked that his middle initials stood for Publicity Forever.)

During his sophomore year at Princeton, he found his calling when he took an art history course. Princeton is also where he found his wife, Nancy Bell, a Vassar student whom he met at a house party, where they were both trying to avoid their dates.

Besides his wife, Mr. Hoving is survived by his sister, Petrea, of Manhattan; his daughter, also named Petrea, who is known as Trea, and three granddaughters.

Mr. Hoving graduated from Princeton summa cum laude, winning honors for a thesis on architectural history. After three years in the Marines, he announced his intention to pursue a graduate degree in art history, but his father refused to give him money for it. So instead, he won a fellowship.

He earned a master’s, then a doctorate, in art history at Princeton. Then, in 1958, after a lecture he gave at the Frick Collection on the Annibale Carracci frescoes at the Farnese Palace in Rome, a man he didn’t recognize and who didn’t introduce himself invited Mr. Hoving to take a walk up Fifth Avenue to the Met to see a marble table that had once graced the palace. The man turned out to be James J. Rorimer, the Met’s director, who offered Mr. Hoving a job.

He began as a curatorial assistant at the Cloisters, where he distinguished himself early on by identifying a rare Romanesque marble relief that the Met had declined to buy; it reversed itself when he discovered that the relief was a long-missing piece of a noted 12th century Florentine pulpit. His most impressive accomplishment was his globe-trotting role in helping the Met acquire the 12th-century walrus ivory cross attributed to the Abbey of Bury Saint Edmunds in eastern England, considered one of the finest medieval ivories in existence and now on display at the Cloisters.

In 1965 he was named curator of the department of medieval arts and of the Cloisters, but within months his career was to take another direction. He had worked in the early 1960s as a campaign volunteer for John V. Lindsay, the congressman from Manhattan, who became a casual friend. And when Mr. Lindsay was elected mayor of New York City in 1965, he asked Mr. Hoving to be his parks commissioner. Though Mr. Hoving had little administrative experience and scant knowledge of the park system, he plunged into the job. He became a familiar sight at parks around the city, zipping around to them on his Jawa motorcycle. And he quickly generated headlines by winning a fight to close Central Park’s east and west drives to car traffic on Sundays and instituting a series of park gatherings — known as “Hoving’s Happenings,” a term borrowed from the artist Allan Kaprow — in which huge crowds turned out to do things like communal painting or lying in the Sheep Meadow to watch a midnight meteor shower.

Less than six months after Mr. Hoving took over the parks job, his mentor at the Met, James Rorimer, died unexpectedly in his sleep at age 60, and in December 1966, Mr. Hoving was chosen from a field of 40 candidates to take over the museum’s directorship. At the press conference in which he was named, Mayor Lindsay said he felt like a father “who has just given away the bride.”

Mr. Hoving stepped down in 1977, after a decade in the job, with the intention of becoming the head of a new branch of the Annenberg School of Communications, to have been established within the Met for the purpose of making fine art more accessible through television and films. But the plan, backed by a $40 million pledge from the publisher Walter Annenberg, fell apart amid criticism by some city officials, who questioned Mr. Annenberg’s motivations and complained that the center would occupy space in the museum that rightfully should have been used for exhibiting art.

Mr. Hoving’s post-museum career was mostly filled with writing books, several of which sold well, though sometimes for the wrong reasons. “King of the Confessors,” his 1981 account of his pursuit of the ivory cross and the Met’s acquisition of other treasures, was rejected by the Met’s bookshop because museum officials felt that it mischaracterized the museum’s collecting policies.

His memoir of his years leading the Met was written with all the flair of a potboiler, helped along by passages that bordered on the fictional, at least heavily embellished. Mr. Hoving seemed to anticipate criticism of the book and the pivotal years it described by saving some of the harshest assessments for himself, calling himself cold, driven, hypocritical and impulsive.

One thing he never claimed to be was modest. Under his leadership, he wrote, “the most sweeping revolution in the history of art museums had taken place.”

“The Met, once an elitist, stiff, gray and slightly moribund entity, came alive,” he added. “The mummies did dance.”

Justin

« Reply #590 on: December 11, 2009, 02:31:23 AM »
THank you , Robby for taking note of the death of Tom Hoving. He specialized in Medieval Art History and that has been my own area of interest for many years. His writing on the Bury St Edmund's Cross in Ivory is a masterpiece of of Art history research. The man had sand as well as a significant intellect and his accomplishments will be long remembered in the field. I regret his passing more than the passing of many another in this century. He had reached a stage in life that one can give over to writing about the things that interested him and I was looking forward to new insights into significant pieces in Medieval Art. He was also a showman who did things in a big way. He is missed.   

Justin

« Reply #591 on: December 11, 2009, 03:29:58 AM »
Robby, that's a good question about Russia east or west. There is no question that Russia is not western But is it eastern? That's a designation that is open to question. It has been in conflict over the centuries with most  countries with a common eastern  border. Russia shares an eastern  border with Kazakhstan, Turkey, Iran, China, Mongolia, Korea, and Japan (separated by a few miles of open water), all these countries have an undeniable eastern Flavor and there can be little question that they have influenced Russian culture greatly.  Russia also borders the Ukraine, the Balkans and Finland.These countries are neither eastern nor western in character. They are singular, they, as is much of Russia, Slavic in origin and that's a characteristic the Russians share with Poland but not with the eastern cultures. The fact that they followed an an eastern religious orthodoxy for many centuries does not make them oriental: in fact it separates them from the Shinto, Hindu, and Buddist influences of the Far east.

In my judgment the Russians are neither eastern nor western. They are a breed apart, a Slavic breed. They are different politically and culturally from other eastern and western countries. They stand alone, perhaps because of the constant warfare they have engaged in  on all their borders.

Robby

« Reply #592 on: December 11, 2009, 08:01:25 AM »
I promise you; we will get back to the Renaissance.  But at this time of the year many subjects come up which seem related to items in our discussion.  And these diversions might liven us up for the Holiday season.

The Hanukkah Story
By DAVID BROOKS
Tonight Jewish kids will light the menorah, spin their dreidels and get their presents, but Hanukkah is the most adult of holidays. It commemorates an event in which the good guys did horrible things, the bad guys did good things and in which everybody is flummoxed by insoluble conflicts that remain with us today. It’s a holiday that accurately reflects how politics is, how history is, how life is.

It begins with the spread of Greek culture. Alexander’s Empire, and the smaller empires that succeeded it, brought modernizing ideas and institutions to the Middle East. At its best, Hellenistic culture emphasized the power of reason and the importance of individual conscience. It brought theaters, gymnasiums and debating societies to the cities. It raised living standards, especially in places like Jerusalem.

Many Jewish reformers embraced these improvements. The Greeks had one central idea: their aspirations to create an advanced universal culture. And the Jews had their own central idea: the idea of one true God. The reformers wanted to merge these two ideas.

Urbane Jews assimilated parts of Greek culture into their own, taking Greek names like Jason, exercising in the gymnasium and prospering within Greek institutions. Not all Jews assimilated. Some resisted quietly. Others fled to the hills. But Jerusalem did well. The Seleucid dynasty, which had political control over the area, was not merely tolerant; it used imperial money to help promote the diverse religions within its sphere.

In 167 B.C., however, the Seleucid king, Antiochus IV, issued a series of decrees defiling the temple, confiscating wealth and banning Jewish practice, under penalty of death. It’s unclear why he did this. Some historians believe that extremist Jewish reformers were in control and were hoping to wipe out what they saw as the primitive remnants of their faith. Others believe Antiochus thought the Jews were disloyal fifth columnists in his struggle against the Egyptians and, hence, was hoping to assimilate them into his nation.

Regardless, those who refused to eat pork were killed in an early case of pure religious martyrdom.

As Jeffrey Goldberg, who is writing a book on this period, points out, the Jews were slow to revolt. The cultural pressure on Jewish practice had been mounting; it was only when it hit an insane political level that Jewish traditionalists took up arms. When they did, the first person they killed was a fellow Jew.

In the town of Modin, a Jew who was attempting to perform a sacrifice on a new Greek altar was slaughtered by Mattathias, the old head of a priestly family. Mattathias’s five sons, led by Judah Maccabee, then led an insurgent revolt against the regime.

The Jewish civil war raised questions: Who is a Jew? Who gets to define the right level of observance? It also created a spiritual crisis. This was not a battle between tribes. It was a battle between theologies and threw up all sorts of issues about why bad things happen to faithful believers and what happens in the afterlife — issues that would reverberate in the region for centuries, to epic effect.

The Maccabees are best understood as moderate fanatics. They were not in total revolt against Greek culture. They used Greek constitutional language to explain themselves. They created a festival to commemorate their triumph (which is part of Greek, not Jewish, culture). Before long, they were electing their priests.

On the other hand, they were fighting heroically for their traditions and the survival of their faith. If they found uncircumcised Jews, they performed forced circumcisions. They had no interest in religious liberty within the Jewish community and believed religion was a collective regimen, not an individual choice.

They were not the last bunch of angry, bearded religious guys to win an insurgency campaign against a great power in the Middle East, but they may have been among the first. They retook Jerusalem in 164 B.C. and rededicated the temple. Their regime quickly became corrupt, brutal and reactionary. The concept of reform had been discredited by the Hellenizing extremists. Practice stagnated. Scholarship withered. The Maccabees became religious oppressors themselves, fatefully inviting the Romans into Jerusalem.

Generations of Sunday school teachers have turned Hanukkah into the story of unified Jewish bravery against an anti-Semitic Hellenic empire. Settlers in the West Bank tell it as a story of how the Jewish hard-core defeated the corrupt, assimilated Jewish masses. Rabbis later added the lamp miracle to give God at least a bit part in the proceedings.

But there is no erasing the complex ironies of the events, the way progress, heroism and brutality weave through all sides. The Maccabees heroically preserved the Jewish faith. But there is no honest way to tell their story as a self-congratulatory morality tale. The lesson of Hanukkah is that even the struggles that saved a people are dappled with tragic irony, complexity and unattractive choices.

winsummm

« Reply #593 on: December 12, 2009, 02:06:47 AM »
so is christmas any better.the torturous treatment of a religious leader.  Not really but it is a lot more fun.

my mother tried to institute the jewish celebration and gave up after one ;year. I fought to get a christmas tree. she believed in christmas cards on the mantel. Personally I think the pagans had the right idea, celebrating the winter solstice with partying.
thimk

Emily

« Reply #594 on: December 12, 2009, 07:28:07 PM »
Claire, Christmas is the celebration of the birth of Christ, and a quietly joyous event within the Christian church. I say 'quiet' because of the reverence but also joyous because of the music and songs. 

The pagan rites and rituals were brought along too by the new converts and that can be celebrated by any and all. Even the date given to the birth was pagan. I agree the winter solstice is worth celebrating, as the daylight is short here, and we have had so many cloudy days, I will welcome the sun in all its glorious return.

Christians welcomed the son.

Pagans welcomed the sun.

Emily

Emily

« Reply #595 on: December 12, 2009, 08:08:08 PM »
From Robby's article.....

The Jewish civil war raised questions: Who is a Jew? Who gets to define the right level of Observance?

The question 'who is a Jew' in Robby's article brought to mind an article I read recently in the New York Times about a law suit brought by a Jewish family against a Jewish school in England for not admitting their son. The school deemed him not Jewish enough.

So over two thousand years later the question is still being debated within the Jewish religion, as it was in Robby's article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/08/world/europe/08britain.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

Emily

3kings(Trevor)

« Reply #596 on: December 12, 2009, 10:51:53 PM »
I have often wondered how many Israelis are Jews? The Old Testament contains many stories of times when the Hebrew people rejected Jewish beliefs. Jesus Christ was only one of several who over the centuries sought to found a new religion, and also was the only one, I think, to eventually succeed. And then only outside Palestine.

I remember once, disagreeing with Justin, when he said Christ was a Jew. To me the whole essence of Christianity is that He was not a Jew.

During my life I have occasionally met people who claimed to be of the Hebrew race, and also  stated that they were not Jews, but were Agnostics or Atheists. ++ Trevor

Justin

« Reply #597 on: December 12, 2009, 11:41:47 PM »
Can anyone doubt Christ's Jewishness? The little group he left in Jerusalem under James continued to be a small Jewish sect. Membership required circumcision. Would any male you know who professes admiration for Christianity be willing to submit to a 10% cut without anesthesia in order to be a member of the group? It was Paul who told gentiles they could become associated with the movement without the necessity for circumcision. Paul also broke bread with gentiles. James' group would not do that. That was the moment Christianity came into being. It was long after the death of Christ. Were it not for that offer by Paul the sect would be as the Hasidim today. Christianity is a Gentile religion because Paul made it so. 

Justin

« Reply #598 on: December 13, 2009, 01:57:31 AM »
Trevor: I think you are absolutely right when you say Christianity was born out side Palestine. That's what the data tells us. However, there is a great tendency to assign founder's laurels to the subject of a movement. It's quite a natural thing to do for the name of that person or subject is at the forefront of the movement.

Don't forget Muhammad when you pick religious winners. Buddha did pretty well too,  so did Moses not to slight the Jews.

Justin

« Reply #599 on: December 13, 2009, 01:58:49 AM »
Trevor: It's nice to have you back.