Author Topic: Movies & Books Into Movies  (Read 567363 times)

Phyll

Re: Movies & Books Into Movies
« Reply #1000 on: October 19, 2010, 04:28:55 PM »

So many movies – how do  you choose what to watch?
Reviews?  Recommendations?  Actors?  Availability?
Do you choose a movie the same way you choose a book?

And where do you like to watch most of your movies?
Do you stream movies from Netflix and other places?
Where’s the strangest place you’ve ever watched a film?

Join us in an ongoing discussion of your favorite movies right now.
Pull up a chair, take off your shoes, pour yourself a cup of coffee or hot chocolate, and join in!

Your Discussion Leader: pedln

On your recommendation, Rose, I may try it but I really don't like Shakespeare adapted to modern.  As I watch these people in modern dress and in a modern setting speaking Shakespearian English, all I think is "They wouldn't say that!"..."They wouldn't speak that way!"  It is so distracting to me.  But, perhaps the performances will draw me in and soon I'll forget the things that seem so out of place.
phyllis

Gumtree

« Reply #1001 on: October 20, 2010, 02:58:25 AM »
I resisted Shakespeare et al in modern dress and settings  until I saw Sir Ian McKellan's Richard III - brilliant brilliant brilliant. All the way through I kept saying to myself yeah/yeah that was OK but how's he going to handle 'A horse, a horse. My Kingdom for a horse'?  - well, it just blew me away - the setting of ruined military ordinance simply gave the words another nuance of meaning. I've been a reluctant convert ever since but even so prefer the setting and dress to be in keeping with the time the play was set.
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

Babi

« Reply #1002 on: October 20, 2010, 08:23:16 AM »
 I'm sold, GUM.  I'm going to hunt that one up on Netflix.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Mippy

« Reply #1003 on: October 20, 2010, 05:17:49 PM »
Oh, yes, I loved it also, Gumtree!   He's amazing isn't he?
I agree than in general period costumes are the best.  Modern dress seems to distract, in most cases.
quot libros, quam breve tempus

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1004 on: October 21, 2010, 02:44:15 AM »
Sorry to be dim, but what is Netfix?

I used to have a subscription to the DVD/CD section of our public library - can you believe the genius council has now abolished subscriptions "because they are too cheap"?  The only way you can now borrow a DVD is to pay the one off charge of £2.10 per item per week, which completely puts me off borrowing films I'm not sure about - whereas before I used to browse and try things on impulse, just as in the book library.  Apparently the borrowing has dropped hugely, so how they think that is going to make them more money is anyone's guess.  So much for public education, or indeed public anything.    >:( (grumpy old woman....)

Rosemary

Gumtree

« Reply #1005 on: October 21, 2010, 05:31:23 AM »
Rosemary - you're an early bird. There's generally no one about when I come in at this time. I'm in Western Australia - our time is GMT+8 and I often post while others are sleeping.

I'll leave Netflix to be explained by someone who uses it.  We don't have it here - but the brief answer is that it's an online DVD rental deal. We have similar outfits and I use one consistently. Movies of choice come by mail and go back the same way. cost is low and value for money IMO.

Bad news about your library raising the cost of movies etc. - Luckily our library services are all free - a total of 12 items (books, mags, CDs DVDs Audiobooks, music, etc etc) at a time for 3 weeks loan with option to renew for a further two period of 3 weeks each (unless item is requested by another reader). Computer use including internet access is also available free. The cost is borne by local council (from our rates) and Govt subsidy. It's the best library service on the planet largely developed because of our geographical isolation - an argument that is losing its punch these days with information readily available on internet.

Mippy & Babi I've talked myself into it and have put RII on my queue.

We watched Sleepless in Seattle last night - Can't believe Tom Hanks was ever that young - and that lean. Also watched Body of lies earlier this week. Russell Crowe was absolutely convincing - as always.
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1006 on: October 21, 2010, 07:53:45 AM »
Gumtree pretty much said it all.  Netflix has a huge online catalogue, from which you construct your own queue, which can be rearranged at will.  When they get a DVD from you, they send the next one.  Turnaround is very fast--if I mail a disc on Monday I get the next one on Wednesday--and they are sent with postage-paid return envelopes, so it's no trouble.  Price varies with the number of discs you can have out at once (I have 3) but is very reasonable.  If you are set up for it, you can watch movies instantly on your computer, as many as you like.

GMT + 8.  I'm GMT - 5, so with daylight saving we're 12 hours apart.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #1007 on: October 21, 2010, 11:23:58 AM »
Rosemary, what a shame about your library and the DVDs.  I guess those of us who have really good library service don't always know how lucky we are.  Our library uses a library tax and is governed by a board, so the city council can't dictate to it or cut funding or services.

Nevertheless, I subscribe to Netflix, and like PatH can have three DVDs at a time.  Plus, I can watch as many as I'd like on my computer, but I rarely do that.  My son and family have a less expensive subscription, but he has put his engineering knowledge to work and they can watch the Netflix films on their 52" TV.  That would be nice, but I've got so many cords and wires already in the computer/tv room, and I don't need it.  I have plenty to watch already.

I had been looking forward to an Italian film, Mid-August Lunch, about a man who, for a fee, is taking care of three older women as well as his mother.  The write-up sounded good, but to me it was like one of those films where there is no script and the actors make up the dialog  as they go along.  It was OK, but .   .   .

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1008 on: October 21, 2010, 12:51:01 PM »
Thanks all.  We do have a similar thing here called LoveFilm - I know many people do have membership, so perhaps I should look into it - but in the meantime I am going to tell our local councillor all about your various, much better, libraries.  When the subscriptions were first abolished (by means of a tiny notice in the library - the librarians had had no prior notice and were as shocked as we were - and of course they had to take all the flak), lots of us complained, and were told that Aberdeen was the only library in Scotland to offer the subscription (it was £50 per year) - apparently that was a good reason to abolish it.  And Aberdeen City Council wonders why it is bankrupt.

It's not so much the paying for LoveFilm that annoys me - I understand it's a very good service - but the constant erosion of public services.  I am particularly sensitive about the library, as free access to books (and DVDs) seems to me a fundamental human right and a means by which we protect our freedom (after all, in some countries governments use control of the written word as a means of controlling the population).  My parents were great library-goers - they could not have afforded to buy books - and I was taken to the children's library every Friday throughout my childhood.  I did the same with my children, and my youngest daughter and I still visit the library at least once a week.  Our Council has just closed one branch library, with more to follow - I went to the book sale that they held, and heard an elderly lady saying to the librarian that she would miss the library so much.  Not everyone can just jump into the car and go to another one, and for many people it's the social aspect that is so important.

It is the same with swimming pools - the Council are closing them as fast as they can - the one I go to is very popular with older people in the day time, and they come for a good chat as well as the exercise.  If the Council closes that pool, people will not only miss out on their swimming but also their social life - we are exhorted to get more exercise for our mental as well as our physical health, but apparently the Council is not going to facilitate this.  Of course, private gyms are springing up everywhere, but not only are they costly, they are also full of stick thin people in leotards and spray on tans - I for one would much rather go to the council pool and see nice friendly people who don't judge you by the cost of your trainers or the size of your thighs.

Sorry, rant over.  Maybe I should emigrate to Australia?!

Rosemary

marjifay

« Reply #1009 on: October 22, 2010, 12:14:47 AM »
I love Netflix.  I guess what really made that company into what it is was the invention of the DVD.  They sure couldn't have done it with those old video tapes -- too heavy, slow and expensive for reproducing and mailing.  I love the quick service and the no postage return envelopes, not to mention their tremendous supply of films as well as TV program series.
The only thing they don't have is a large variety of are the older films from the 1940s and back.  Luckily for those of us who live in the Los Angeles, CA area, there is a great video store in North Hollywood which has the old old movies as well as the newer ones for rent.  I just hope Netflix doesn't put them out of business as it has so many of the chain video stores.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

salan

« Reply #1010 on: October 22, 2010, 08:14:44 AM »
I live in a small town that is fortunate to have an excellent library (for its size) with knowledgeable librarians who are very friendly.  The library is a service that ought to be provided free of charge for all.  I see many small children who come from families that can not afford to buy books.  Our children's librarian has many programs for children of all ages.  Many families in this area cannot afford computers or internet access, so the computers in the library are really busy after school.

I grew up in the country in a small town.  During the summer months, my mother (who was a teacher) took us to the library every 2 weeks to stock up on books.  Having access to a library and helpful librarians has been a service that I never really appreciated until I was older.  I just assumed that was normal.  Now I am finding out that libraries around the country are having financial difficulties and many are closing.  For a number of years now, I have been giving donations to the library for special programs and in memory of friends and family who have passed on. 
Sally

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1011 on: October 22, 2010, 10:27:33 AM »
I hate it when the libraries are the first things to get shorted when times are bad.  That's when folks need libraries the most.  Our library is, unfortunately, a joint function of our city and county governments, and they're always squabbling about who should do what.  And nobody ever wants taxes raised.  So the library suffers.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

JudeS

« Reply #1012 on: October 23, 2010, 07:46:19 PM »
This is my first time on this site and the discussion of libraries made me realize how lucky I have been to have great libraries near me.  I was such an avid reader that at age 15 I got a job at my local library and worked there throughout High School.

Noe in my city in California the days and hours of our library have been cut in half because of the lack of financed.  Luckily I am now retired and can get there when they are open.  Also the senior centers have hundreds of paperbacks that are free for the taking.

There are no video stores open anymore in my area (San Jose is a city of one million).  The library stocks some but everyone I know has Netflix.  They have thousands of titiles in every language and in every genre.  For 9.99 a month I see every film I have missed and wish to see or those I loved as a child and am watching again.
Recently I watched "Lifeboat" a marvelous film from WW2.  I saw it as a young child and looked at it now with adult eyes.  I didn't remember that it was a Hitchcock film and had won so many awards.  Tallulah Bankhead was marvelous.  Do any of you remember her? 

Babi

« Reply #1013 on: October 24, 2010, 08:56:43 AM »
 I remember Tallulah, JUDE.  She was quite a character.  I went looking for some quotes from
her, but found them all unsuitable for polite conversation.   :o
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

MaryPage

« Reply #1014 on: October 26, 2010, 03:54:02 PM »
I have a great granddaughter named Tallulah!  We call her Lulu.

Bankhead was from one of the First Families of Alabama, I believe.  Her father was Speaker of the House and her uncle was a Senator.  She was one of the all time, Hall of Fame actresses.  And yes, quite a character.  She feared no man.  Or woman.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1015 on: October 26, 2010, 07:39:26 PM »
Not from a book (I don't think), but we just got home from seeing RED, with Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman, Helen Mirren, John Malkovich.  A definite go-to-see movie - funny, lots of shooting and explosions, and great actors playing against type (except Willis, of course).
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

mabel1015j

« Reply #1016 on: October 26, 2010, 08:39:50 PM »
Recently  on one of our PBS stations I saw "You must Remember This:the story of the Warner Brothers,  there are apparently 2parts. I saw the 30's and 40's and they announced there will be a 50's segment. It was really interesting. Clint Eastwood was the exec producer. You might want to check your local schedules ..........Jean

marjifay

« Reply #1017 on: October 27, 2010, 10:11:29 AM »
Thanks for recommending RED, MaryZ.  I adore Bruce Willis, and the movie sounds good with all those good actors.

Marj.
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #1018 on: October 27, 2010, 11:51:48 PM »
RED sounds really good, MaryZ.  And what an all-star cast.  It's now on my N Queue.

Thanks for the heads up about the Warner Bros., Jean.  I'll check it out.

Tonight I watched a film with no one in it that I'd ever heard about -- Welcome to the Dollhouse. I think I requested it because the director, Todd Solondz, was recommended.  I have mixed feelings about this junior high film about a very troubled 7th grade girl.  I almost pulled the plug a few times because it didn't seem real, but I found myself really caring about the main character. (3 stars out of 5)

Babi

« Reply #1019 on: October 28, 2010, 08:20:11 AM »
 I agree, MARYZ.  I always enjoy Bruce Willis, but we rarely see him playing a different type of
character. I think that's why I liked "Sixth Sense" so well.

JimNT

« Reply #1020 on: October 28, 2010, 10:23:16 AM »
For the second time, I chose There Will Be Blood from Netflix.  What a treat.  I've seen many movies over the years but this one is truly special.  Based on an Upton Sinclair book, Daniel Day-Lewis gives one of the most powerful performances I've ever seen.  I realize this is "old" news as I know most, if not all, have seen this movie and discussed it many times.  But I feel compelled to shout the glories of Lewis' performance.  Humor me, please.

roshanarose

« Reply #1021 on: October 28, 2010, 09:42:59 PM »
Hi Jim
Like you, I thought DDL's performance in "There Will be Blood" was excellent.  My only grumble is that I thought that the ending was a tad overdone.  DDL's two best movies imh are "My Left Foot" and "Last of the Mohicans".  "Mohicans" is one of those rare movies in which every actor gives of his/her best.  A Masterpiece!  DDL running through the undergrowth wearing a loincloth was a bonus ;-)  And I particularly appreciated Wes Studi as Bagua (spelling?).  I have been a great fan of his since, although he makes very few movies these days.
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

JimNT

« Reply #1022 on: October 29, 2010, 07:39:06 AM »
Thanks for the comments and recommendations.  Yes, DDL made his point long before the scene ended.  I've seen My Left Foot and found it excellent.  I've somehow managed to avoid the Mohican's but will put it my Netflix queue.  I'm not familiar with the other actors but know from experience that so many excellent performances are made by "unknowns". 

Babi

« Reply #1023 on: October 29, 2010, 09:01:15 AM »
 If I saw "There Will Be Blood", I've forgotten.  What is it about?  It sounds somewhat ominous.
I'd like to find out a bit more before I add it to my Netflix queue.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1024 on: October 29, 2010, 11:45:15 AM »
Babi, Netflix usually has a synopsis on the website, and (I think) some reviews, too.

JimNT

« Reply #1025 on: October 29, 2010, 12:15:24 PM »
Babi:  There Will Be Blood is the story of a driven oilman at the turn of the century who sacrifices anything and anybody for the sake of bringing in a successful well.  Don't miss it or, if you've already seen it, see it again.

marjifay

« Reply #1026 on: October 29, 2010, 03:26:15 PM »
I read the movie Oil! by Upton Sinclair before I saw the movie.  Very good book.  It made me want to read more about the oil scandal in President Harding's administration, but I haven't gotten around to that yet.  The movie was a bit different fro the book, but very good also.

Marj

Mippy

« Reply #1027 on: October 30, 2010, 06:24:53 AM »
My Left Foot  is really an excellent movie!  I'd see it again!

I haven't watch a movie in months.  Now that I have the Directv
equivalent of Tivo, there's enough TV being recorded to use up all my evenings.   My dear hubby doesn't like to watch movies at all (except oldies with Jack Lemon or similar ones) so we haven't watched a movie together in a long time.   But no problemo, not complaining, still enjoy the comments here.
quot libros, quam breve tempus

Babi

« Reply #1028 on: October 30, 2010, 10:04:22 AM »
 Oil wells, huh?  I am reminded of an oldie with Spencer Tracy and Clark
Gable.  It may have been "Boom Town", or perhaps another title. Dated,
of course, but with those two...espc. Tracy...always superb acting.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #1029 on: October 30, 2010, 10:44:51 AM »
By all means, Mippy, keep enjoying the comments here, and let us know what's good on TV -- so we'll know which past season discs to get from Netflix.  My 16-year-old VCR still works, sort of, so I do record a little, if rarely.  Usually something like PBS Masterpiece.

What is it about some of these golden olden black and whites that make them so enjoyable to watch?  Last night a watched The Young PHiladelphians (saw it a million years ago) with Paul Newman and Barbara Rush(?).  Her name is vaguely familiar.  And Billie Burke.  Very enjoyable.

JimNT, I liked There Will Be Blood, but felt that some things just didn't fit right -- can't remember just what.  But I do remember there were several comments from folks who were disappointed that so much of U. Sinclair's Oil had been changed.

JimNT

« Reply #1030 on: October 30, 2010, 10:39:03 PM »
pedln:  Remember the adage "Never read the book before seeing the movie and vice versa".

jeriron

« Reply #1031 on: October 31, 2010, 09:13:31 AM »
"Never read the book before seeing the movie and vice versa".

Usually if I've read the book and then see the movie I've read so many other books in between that I've completely forgotten what the book was about that I enjoy the movie as a separate thing. so I never really have a problem. I very rarely say the book was better. Don't forget everyone that reads a book sees the characters looking differently.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #1032 on: October 31, 2010, 11:39:03 AM »
From the Seattle Times  -- 10 of the creepiest movies ever for Halloween.  I don’t know if I’ve seen Night of the Hunter, included in the list, but I remember my mother talking about it years ago, the evil Robert Mitchum with LOVE and HATE on his fingers.

Movies for a Scary Night

roshanarose

« Reply #1033 on: November 03, 2010, 09:30:36 PM »
Thanks for that link pedln.  Wondering why they didn't add "The Exorcist"?  One of the few cases where the movie and book are equally good.  I remember reading an adaptation of "The Exorcist" in an American Cosmopolitan an aeon ago.  I rushed out to buy the book, but it hadn't been released in Australia yet (things were pretty slow in OZ in those days  ;)).  I waited patiently and the paperback copy still sits in my bookcase.  Robert Mitchum was fantastic - did anyone see him in "Dead Man" with Johnny Depp?
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

Babi

« Reply #1034 on: November 04, 2010, 08:38:45 AM »
 Has Johnny Depp been around that long?  I thought Robert Mitchum died before Depp arrived on
the Hollywood scene.  I think Mitchum was my first girlish love...and how long ago was that!  ::)

roshanarose

« Reply #1035 on: November 04, 2010, 10:53:12 AM »
Yep, Babi.  They were in the movie together.  Listed below is the cast.  I loved the movie for a couple of reasons:  Iggy Pop is memorable; but Neil Young's soundtrack was sublime.  The movie is not your average Hollywood version, but that only makes it better. 

William Blake - JOHNNY DEPP
Nobody - GARY FARMER
Cole Wilson - LANCE HENRIKSEN
Conway Twill - MICHAEL WINCOTT
Thell Russell - MILI AVITAL
Salvatore "Sally" Jenko - IGGY POP
Benmont Tench - JARRED HARRIS
Big George Drakoulious - BILLY BOB THORNTON
Train Fireman - CRISPIN GLOVER
Johnny "The Kid" Pickett - EUGENE BYRD
Nobody's Girlfriend - MICHELLE THRUSH
Charlie Dickenson - GABRIEL BYRNE
John Scofield - JOHN HURT
Trading Post Missionary - ALFRED MOLINA
John Dickenson - ROBERT MITCHUM
Marvin (Older Marshall) - JIMMIE RAY WEEKS
Lee (Younger Marshall) - MARK BRINGELSON
Man with Gun in Alley - GIBBY HAYNES
Man at End of Street - GEORGE DUCKWORTH
Man with Wrench - RICHARD BOES
Old Man with Wanted Posters - MIKE DAWSON
1st Man at Trading Post - JOHN PATTISON
2nd Man at Trading Post - TODD PFEIFFER
Makeh Village - LEONARD BOWECHOP, CECIL CHEEKA, MICHAEL McCARTY
First Young Nobody - THOMAS BETTLES
Second Young Nobody - DANIEL CHAS STACY
Drunk - PETER SCHRUM
Mr. Olafsen - JOHN NORTH

Tomereader1

« Reply #1036 on: November 04, 2010, 11:13:52 AM »
Our first movie "loves": 

Anyone here fall madly in love with Shepard Strudwick? or Jeff Chandler?  Loved those guys with silver in their hair! 
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1037 on: November 04, 2010, 01:39:09 PM »
Don't know Sturdwick, but did love Jeff Chandler and Stewart Granger.

Babi

« Reply #1038 on: November 05, 2010, 08:20:51 AM »
Mitchum was listed way down the line, I see. I suppose that means this was a small role later in life for him.  I see John Hurt is in there, too. Quite a cast, all together.
  I don't know Sturdwick, either. Like MARYZ, I did love Chandler and Granger.  What are some films Sturdwick made?

Tomereader1

« Reply #1039 on: November 05, 2010, 11:58:36 AM »
Biography for
Shepperd Strudwick More at IMDbPro »
ad feedback
Date of Birth
22 September 1907, Hillsboro, North Carolina, USA

Date of Death
15 January 1983, New York City, New York, USA (cancer)

Birth Name
Jr. Shepperd Strudwick

Mini Biography
Actor Sheppard Strudwick had dark, dignified, matinée-styled good looks but with a slightly shady countenance that may have prevented him from attaining top "leading man" stardom in films. Nevertheless he earned distinguished marks in a number of films and returned most frequently to his first love, the theater, throughout his career.

The North Carolina native was born Shepperd Strudwick, Jr. on September 22, 1907, the son of a cotton mill executive. The scion of a prominent family that settled in Hillsborough, his descendants were comprised of doctors, scientists, architects, actors and painters, one of which, Edmund Charles Fox Strudwick, a physician, earned distinction as the first president of the North Caorlina Medical Society. Following high school Strudwick attended the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill with designs on becoming a writer. At one point he was on the editorial staff of his college magazine. In between studies he also joined the university's drama club, the Carolina Playmakers, and ultimately decided to switch his major to drama.

Appearing in a number of college productions before his graduation, Strudwick moved to New York in 1928 to pursue a professional career. Almost immediately he won small parts in two Broadway plays, "The Yellow Jacket" and "Falstaff," both starring the shows' producer Charles Coburn and his wife, actress Ivah Wills. He followed those with "Under the Gaslight" (1929) and "The Life Line" (1930). Throughout the 1930s Strudwick enhanced a number of Broadway and regional productions, notably "Both Your Houses" (1933) "Let Freedom Ring" (1935) and Shakespeare's "As You Like It" (1937), the last in which he starred as Orlando. The Shakespearean cast included his first wife, actress Helen Wynn, whom he had married in May of 1936. The couple later appeared together in a 1939 Broadway production of "The Three Sisters" in which he played Vershinin and she Olga. Helen became the mother of his only child, Sheppard Strudwick III.

In the late 1930s, at the age of 31, Strudwick was summoned to Hollywood with a strong theatrical reputation preceding him. MGM hired him and he eventually gained some notice for his debonair portrayals of Southern-styled gents. He tested, in fact, for the part of Ashley Wilkes in Gone with the Wind (1939) but lost the role to Leslie Howard. At MGM his first two roles were biographical shorts, portraying noted Hungarian physician Ignaz Semmelweis in the Oscar-winning biographical short That Mothers Might Live (1938) and the infamous 19th century Mexican bandit Joaquin Murrieta (1938). He then began to go through the supporting paces in secondary feature films. These included the romantic comedy Fast Company (1938) starring Melvyn Douglas and a couple of popular film series' entries: Congo Maisie (1940) starring Ann Sothern and Dr. Kildare's Strange Case (1940) headlining Lew Ayres and Lionel Barrymore. His last picture for MGM was the aviation film Flight Command (1940) starring Robert Taylor.

Strudwick changed both studios and his marquee moniker in 1941 after signing up with 20th Century Fox. Given the more suitable "leading man" name of John Sheppard, he nevertheless continued to use his real name under the New York stage lights. Tall and aristocratic-looking with a sleepy-eyed handsomeness, he characters seemed to induce suspicion or skepticism as to their intentions. At 20th he demonstrated "second lead" potential opposite some of the silver screen's most beautiful stars of the time: Gene Tierney, Loretta Young, Claudette Colbert and Carole Landis among them, but was unable to rise to the top romantic star ranks. His best chance came starring as the acutely melancholy poet in The Loves of Edgar Allan Poe (1942) opposite Linda Darnell. Despite his abilities and fine work, however, he remained a second-tier performer.

By the post-war years, Shepperd was firmly entrenched in character roles, usually playing patrician fathers, corrupt politicians, reverends or sober-faced professional types. Parts in such film greats as Joan of Arc (1948), All the King's Men (1949) and A Place in the Sun (1951) came his way. A member in good standing at the Actors Studio, where he met his second wife, actress Margaret O'Neill, Strudwick went back to using his real name in both stage and film outings once his "leading man" chances had passed.

He made a strong return to Broadway in the 1950s in both comedic and dramatic productions including "Affairs of State" (1950), "The Bat" (1953), "The Ladies of the Corridor" (1953), "The Night Circus" (1958) and "Only in America" (1959). In 1962 he portrayed George in the matinée productions of the landmark Edward Albee drama "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" on Broadway and eventually took over the part in August of 1963.

Frequently on TV he was a regular dramatic guest player throughout the 1960s and 1970s on such shows as "The Twilight Zone," "The Defenders", "McMillan and Wife" and "The Name of the Game". He also joined the daytime drama circuit playing both stand-up gents and shady ones on such serials as "As the World Turns" (1956) and "Another World" (1964). He also had Emmy-nominated turns on the soaps "One Life to Live" (1968) and "Love of Life" (1951).

Sheppard capped his theatrical career with a Tony-nominated featured performance in "To Grandmother's House We Go" in 1981. Following his last acting part on a 1982 TV episode of "Nurse", Sheppard took ill and died of cancer in New York City on January 15, 1983. He was survived by both his son and his fourth wife, Mary Jeffrey, whom he married in 1977.

IMDb Mini Biography By: Gary Brumburgh / gr-home@pacbell.net

Spouse
Mary Jeffrey (1977 - 15 January 1983) (his death)
Jane Straub (1958 - ?) (divorced)
Margaret O Neill' (1947 - ?) (divorced)
Helen Wynn (10 May 1936 - ?) (divorced) 1 child

Trivia
Died almost six months before Ernest Graves, who was the first Victor Lord on "One Life to Live" (1968) before Strudwick took over the role in 1974.

Was nominated for Broadway's 1981 Tony Award as Best Actor (Featured Role - Play) for "To Grandmother's House We Go."

Producer David O. Selznick asked him to test for the role of Ashley in Gone with the Wind (1939).

The athletic-oriented actor enjoyed swimming and tennis along with reading (Hemingway and Steinbeck were his favorite authors).

Another member of his college dramatic club the Carolina Playmakers was bandleader Kay Kyser. He and Sheppard remained friends long after both made it to Hollywood.
There was no picture unfortunately on IMDb
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois