Author Topic: Movies & Books Into Movies  (Read 567361 times)

MaryPage

Re: Movies & Books Into Movies
« Reply #1080 on: November 19, 2010, 10:05:12 AM »

So many movies – how do  you choose what to watch?
Reviews?  Recommendations?  Actors?  Availability?
Do you choose a movie the same way you choose a book?

And where do you like to watch most of your movies?
Do you stream movies from Netflix and other places?
Where’s the strangest place you’ve ever watched a film?

Join us in an ongoing discussion of your favorite movies right now.
Pull up a chair, take off your shoes, pour yourself a cup of coffee or hot chocolate, and join in!

Your Discussion Leader: pedln

I remember going with a little friend in the summer of 1940 to the outdoor theatre at Fort Knox, Kentucky to see Dr. Cyclops, and being so terrified that I had to run into the ladies to get away from the film.  I was 11.  Betty Jane was a year younger, but she sat through it all!  Well, we keep in touch still, and to this very day she is more serene than I!

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1081 on: November 19, 2010, 04:12:11 PM »
And does everyone remember the flying monkeys in "The Wizard of OZ"? I was about six, and I hid under the movie seat.

roshanarose

« Reply #1082 on: November 19, 2010, 10:35:39 PM »
Babi - Cute story about the popcorn.  I went to see Jurassic Park, alone.  My grandkids were just babies then.  I pride myself on not being easily shocked or frightened in horror movies, but the scene where the velociraptors were chasing the kids around the kitchen absolutely terrified me.  I looked around the theatre and saw the shining eyes of appreciative children.  One little boy sitting next to me was saying "Hope they get those kids".  Obviously a different sensibility from mine.

Ooooh yes JoanK those monkeys still scare me.
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

Babi

« Reply #1083 on: November 20, 2010, 08:39:28 AM »
 Obviously, ROSE, that boy enjoyed being scared.  I suppose it is thrilling, when you know you're
really perfectly safe.  In my mind, now, something like Stephen King's books are much  more
frightening. (Which is why I stopped reading them.)   I know I'm in no danger from velociraptors,
but King's horrors emerged from quite ordinary things, and people, that one runs into every day.
Now that's frightening.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

mabel1015j

« Reply #1084 on: November 20, 2010, 01:06:47 PM »
Our son was 3 or 4 y/o when we took he and his older sister into Philly to see the play The Wiz. He got so frightened when the crazy monkies appeared that i had to take him out into the hallway until the monkies w ere gone. He sat in my lap for the rest of the show and kind of peeked at the stage. To this day he is like you Babi, he doesn't like any horror story that could come out of ordinary everyday life, altho he'll watch extraordinary things like monsters and aliens.......jean

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1085 on: November 20, 2010, 03:02:45 PM »
Whatever it is that makes people enjoy being scared, I lack it. I avoid horror movies like the plague!

salan

« Reply #1086 on: November 20, 2010, 07:02:36 PM »
Babi, I haven't read Stephan King for years for the very reason you mentioned.  I especially don't read or watch anything like that since my husband died 2 years ago.  Much more scary when you live alone!
Sally

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1087 on: November 20, 2010, 07:17:46 PM »
This is a total change of subject.  In the literary game "Author, Author", I had occasion to review the recent movie of "Beowulf", so I thought I might as well post it here.

A very high-tech movie was made of Beowulf three years ago.  Although they shot most of the scenes live, they then digitalized the actors, which had the effect of making their faces look waxy and blunting the expression (if any) of their acting.  There were also some unfortunate plot choices.  The mother of the marauder Grendel is Angelina Jolie, dressed in nothing but gold paint and high heels.  She looks pretty good, but hardly the "monstrous hag" whose blood melts the blade of Beowulf's sword as he slays her.  A couple of times, for a moment or two, quality wins out, and you get the feel of the poem, but it doesn't last.  But if you just want a flashy action flick, it's OK.

When I looked up the date of this movie in IMDB, I learned that there is a 1999 sci-fi movie, a post-apocalyptic retelling of the story.  This I've got to see.  It's in my queue.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1088 on: November 21, 2010, 02:28:10 AM »
As I may have already mentioned, my mother sat up and watched Psycho alone in our (then) large old and very creaky house a few months after my father had died (I was 8 at the time).  And as I may also have mentioned, I am most definitely not a chip off the old block - I avoid these things like the plague, and recall even being scared to go upstairs in that house after I'd read a Famous Five mystery  :)

Babi

« Reply #1089 on: November 21, 2010, 08:43:50 AM »
I hear you, SALLY.

Let me know what you think of the sci-fi version, PAT. I don't think I'm at all
interested in the one you described. AJ in gold paint and heels, playing a 'monstrous
hag'?! No, thank you.
  Oh, before I forget.  My daughter Valerie doesn't usually care for the 'period' type English made
shows I love, but she did watch the first of the "Lark Rise to Candleford" series with me.  She
is hooked, and loves it!  We are watching the entire series, one disk at a time from Netflix.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1090 on: November 21, 2010, 11:52:01 AM »
I'm kind of like your daughter, Babi.  I'm not much for those period pieces, either.  But, on recommendations from here, I've started watching Lark Rise and love it.  I've seen the first two discs, and have the rest scattered through my Netflix queue.  John watched one, but wasn't interested in seeing more.

We visited a friend in England last summer.  She lives in one of those tiny towns in Oxfordshire, kind of like what Lark Rise might be today.  She said that it was filmed in that area, but hasn't seen it to say if she recognizes any specific places.  Maybe she'll get to it sometime.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #1091 on: November 21, 2010, 02:09:49 PM »
Rosemary, Psycho is one movie I don't ever want to watch again. It's interesting though, how culture adds new words and phrases to our vocabulary.  Just hearing  the words "Norman Brooks" brings an immediate image to mind.

I think I'll pass on the Beowolf, but have added the first Lark Rise to my queue.

Last night I attended the musical Side Show at my granddaughter's high school. It's partly based on the lives of co-joined twins Daisy and Violet Hilton, who at one time were the highest paid women performers in the US. They went on to Hollywood where they made grade B movies --Freaks (1932) and Chained for Life (1951).  Netflix has both.

Tomereader1

« Reply #1092 on: November 21, 2010, 03:51:14 PM »
Norman Bates?  Bates Motel?

When I was working (before retirement) our office would have a Halloween costume contest, my last one : I was Mrs. Bates, with Gray wig, black dress, large plastic knife, and my cubicle had a neon sign saying Bates Motel, flashing Vacancy.  It was a ball!
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

roshanarose

« Reply #1093 on: November 21, 2010, 08:49:52 PM »
I watched "Vertigo" again last night.  I think the first time I saw it was in the 60s.  It's strange how you remember the little things, like the coil of hair in Kim Novak's chignon that suggested a whirlpool.  She was so beautiful and Jimmy Stewart fantastic as the troubled hero. 
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

Babi

« Reply #1094 on: November 22, 2010, 08:08:22 AM »
I envy you your trip to Oxfordshire, MARYZ.  What little I saw of the country in my
one trip to England wasn't nearly enough.

Wow!, Tomereader, you really go all out. A neon sign in your cubicle?!! 

Tomereader1

« Reply #1095 on: November 22, 2010, 11:33:46 AM »
Babi, it was just a plug-in sign, like neon, about 2 1/2' but really kind of set the stage so to speak!    I also put an adjustable clothes rod that reached from one side of the cubicle entry to the other, and hung a shower curtain on it. Not too many folks were brave enough to open that shower curtain.  Don't think I won first prize, but didn't need to, it was so much fun! 
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Babi

« Reply #1096 on: November 23, 2010, 08:30:24 AM »
 It was very imaginative, TOMEREADER.  I think you should have gotten at least honorable
mention.  What won first prize, I wonder?

Tomereader1

« Reply #1097 on: November 23, 2010, 01:10:23 PM »
I'm not sure who/what won first prize, but I think it was a "group" effort.  Those usually always won, when an entire "team" got together and presented a...guess I'll say "skit" or "show".  We had one where the guys dressed as pallbearers, and they built a cardboard casket, and were putting "someone" away, I think it was some sort of doing away with a particular "product" that we carried.  Anyway, they were wonderful, even carried a boom-box with the "dirge" playing on it!  

André Maurois

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #1098 on: November 23, 2010, 02:41:31 PM »
You must have brought down the house, Tomereader. It sure sounds like a winner.

It's interesting, that of all the scenes in that film that the shower scene is the one that though the years, has evoked the most reaction from viewers.

Tomereader1

« Reply #1099 on: November 23, 2010, 04:30:32 PM »
Yep, Pedlin, and that scene was the one that scared the "L" out of me! Halloween was a fun time at the place I worked, only time everyone wasn't backstabbing other departments.  We all just kind of thought up something wild and scary and enjoyed ourselves.  Of course, the catered meals were fun for Thanksgiving and Christmas. We had some neat Superbowl competitions too!

André Maurois

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #1100 on: November 24, 2010, 11:40:18 AM »
Roshanrose, there's something special about those Hitchcock/Jimmy Stewert films.  I like all four of them, but Rear Window has always been my favorite.

Rope
Rear Window
The Man Who Knew Too Much
Vertigo

Are you all planning on seeing any films over the Thanksgiving weekend?  I'm visiting son and family and their lovely 52" TV, but so far we've finished dinner too late to start anything. The TV has not been on since I've arrived.

I've just finished reading Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, and having seen the film last spring, I was really surprised at the book's ending.  Now I have to watch the film again before my f2f book group meets next week to discuss the book.

MaryPage

« Reply #1101 on: November 24, 2010, 05:48:39 PM »
Don't miss reading the next two in the trilogy;  each is more wonderful than the one before.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1102 on: November 27, 2010, 04:40:59 PM »
I loved the other three Stewart movies, but I don't remember "Rope".

Does anyone remember Jimmy Stewart's first performance?

Babi

« Reply #1103 on: November 28, 2010, 08:25:11 AM »
 "Rope" didn't register with me, either.  Anyone know what that one was about?  I'd go try to
find Jimmy Stewart's first film, but lately I find that side trips mean I can't get return here. So
annoying.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1104 on: November 28, 2010, 11:40:52 AM »
Babi, just open another window and search there.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #1105 on: November 28, 2010, 08:59:47 PM »
JoanK, in "rope" two youmg men attempt the "perfect murder" of a 3rd, just to see what it's like. Probably reminiscent of Leopold and Loeb in the Bobby Franks murcer.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #1106 on: November 28, 2010, 09:43:50 PM »
There is a listing of James Stewart's filmography at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Stewart_filmography
His first feature film appearance was in 1935 in THE MURDER MAN, a 1935 crime-drama film. It stars Spencer Tracy, Virginia Bruce, and Lionel Atwill, and was directed by Tim Whelan. It was Tracy's first film in what would be a twenty-year career with MGM. Tracy plays an investigative reporter who specializes in murder cases, and involves a somewhat convoluted twist ending. It is most notable for being the feature film debut of James Stewart (who had previously appeared in a short film called Art Trouble). Stewart has sixth billing as another reporter.

Frybabe

« Reply #1107 on: November 28, 2010, 11:23:42 PM »
I just heard that Leslie Neilson passed away.

Babi

« Reply #1108 on: November 29, 2010, 08:54:41 AM »
MARYZ,  I thought clicking on the http address bar and entering a new address was bringing
up another window.  Is there another way to open a second window? Checking 'Help' was not
helpful.  :-\

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #1109 on: November 29, 2010, 10:58:06 AM »
Babi, I found the following on the Microsoft site

Open Internet Options from Control Panel or from the Tools menu inside Internet Explorer (open Internet Explorer; then click Tools on the menu). Click on the Advanced tab, and look under Browsing. There is a setting there for IE to reuse the window or tab, or open a new window.

Each time the IE icon is clicked on it is automatically set to open a new window of IE by default; also when you have an IE window open, a new window will open if you make sure the setting described above is set.

Babi, if you open a new window (or tab) after visiting a website, you can't get back to the website using the Back arrow since the new window (or tab) doesn't have the original website in its history. You would have to close the new window or tab to see the original window with the original site.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1110 on: November 29, 2010, 11:28:23 AM »
Babi, I've found two ways  from this site.  If you click on your or another name, the info page for that person comes up in another window.  Or you can just go to your start menu or however else you get a window and open another one.  I usually don't have my windows full screen, so I can move the window around and get to my desktop shortcut.  Any window you're not actively using can be parked down on the task bar and out of sight.  Does that help? or just confuse you?

Babi

« Reply #1111 on: November 30, 2010, 08:20:09 AM »
 MARCIE, I used the directions you gave me yesterday,  but I will only know it works if I try it.
 I appreciate you ideas, MARY.  I don't know how I was pulling up info. and then backing up to
return to SL in the past, yet cannot do so now.  I don't know what I'm doing that is different; I
have to suppose something changed.   I don't see 'Home' on my tool bar, but there is a little
blue house that I  must be it. It tells me that Alt + M will also take me 'home'.
  Thank you both for coming to my aid.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1112 on: November 30, 2010, 11:18:55 AM »
We watched "Up in the Air" with George Clooney on DVD last night.  I saw in the credits that it was based on a book.  Although we love Clooney, and he is a terrific actor, we thought this was a pretty depressing movie.

Frybabe

« Reply #1113 on: November 30, 2010, 10:59:03 PM »
Mary, I don't believe I ever heard of that movie. I did watch another Clooney movie that I kept missing - Michael Clayton. Very interesting. I really liked the scene where he and the horses were standing there staring at each other, that is until the car blew up.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1114 on: November 30, 2010, 11:52:43 PM »
Michael Clayton is in my Netflix queue also.  This afternoon we watched Benjamin Button (Brad Pitt).  We saw in the credits that it was based on stories by F. Scott Fitzgerald.  An strange movie to be sure, very long (2 3/4 hours), and a beautiful love story.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1115 on: December 01, 2010, 02:49:20 AM »
MaryZ - I was confused for a minute (nothing new there  :)) - I was thinking of the film "Up", which, so far as I know, did not feature the lovely George.  "Up" was a brilliant film - the dog was so like our old Retriever that he could have modelled for it.  Has anyone else seen it?  The sequence at the beginning, explaining without words the old man's whole life story, is so touching - and the film also has a happy ending, essential for me these days!

Rosemary

Babi

« Reply #1116 on: December 01, 2010, 08:52:09 AM »
 I'll have to add 'Benjamin' and 'Michael' to my queue.  I'll skip "Up in the Air", since MARY warns
us it's depressing. Who needs that?!

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1117 on: December 01, 2010, 10:51:44 AM »
Rosemarykaye - I have "Up" in my queue, and am definitely looking forward to getting that one.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #1118 on: December 01, 2010, 11:32:38 AM »
Rosemary, yes, I've seen UP. It's a sweet, uplifting film.

Tomereader1

« Reply #1119 on: December 01, 2010, 11:55:17 AM »
If the movie studios were trying to confuse the viewers, they did a good job, as "Up" and "Up in the Air" both were released at about the same time.  Up being an animated film, and Up in the Air a (depressing) regular film.  I enjoyed "Up" but not so much the Air one.  For all you George lovers, skip Men Who Stare At Goats.

André Maurois