Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 878428 times)

joangrimes

• Alabama
Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #1280 on: September 02, 2010, 06:57:13 PM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leaders:    BillH and JoanK   

Thank you Jean
JoanGrimes
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

Steph

« Reply #1281 on: September 03, 2010, 06:21:28 AM »
Just finished Lisa Scottoline... Look Again.. I like her normally, but did not like this one. Just way way far fetched.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

ursamajor

« Reply #1282 on: September 03, 2010, 12:22:17 PM »
I think Scottolini's books are uneven, but they are usually fun to read.

Steph

« Reply #1283 on: September 04, 2010, 06:07:55 AM »
I liked the ones with the female law firm a lot.. But this one was really very up and down.. Oh well,, authors get bees in their bonnets just like we do about a certain subject.

mrssherlock

« Reply #1284 on: September 04, 2010, 12:42:08 PM »
I don't remember who mentioned Craig Johnson and his series about Sherfif Walt Longmire in back-of-the-beyond Wytana but I checked out his first in the series, The Cold Dish, and am enjoying it so I'll read the others, too.  The book was lying on my bed behind me as I read something else.  I felt my cat snuggle up to my back ; he was twitching for a while, I thought he was grooming.  Lo and behold he was chewing on the Johnson book!! Now I know who has cost me the price of three books since the library insists I pay for them.  No more leisurely switching from one book to another when my bed calls me at night.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Tomereader1

« Reply #1285 on: September 04, 2010, 01:18:02 PM »
I think it was me mentioning or asking if anyone had read Craig Johnson.  My friend, who originally asked me to ask you all if you had read him, will be thrilled to know that someone actually read one of his and enjoyed it!  Thanks!
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1286 on: September 04, 2010, 02:07:08 PM »
Jackie: oops. Well, I'm glad to know Johnson is tasty!

I got my credit card bill. I'm going to have to stop ordering every book that's mentioned here! Or I'll have to write a book: "Murder Can Bankrupt You."

mrssherlock

« Reply #1287 on: September 04, 2010, 03:14:35 PM »
Joan:  Credit cards and I do not mix well so I use only debit cards which force me to be prudent.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Steph

« Reply #1288 on: September 05, 2010, 09:35:40 AM »
Thats the way I am about Barnes and Noble.. It lures me in.. I swear I hear the sirens singing..

Babi

« Reply #1289 on: September 05, 2010, 10:39:05 AM »
 JACKIE, I had to grin imagining you explaining to the librarian,
"My cat did it." I'm not one to talk, tho'. I'm the one with clawed
up furniture that only gets clawed when we're not around to witness
and and discipline.
  Back to the library, JOANK. It's one of the few things that is
still free.

"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #1290 on: September 05, 2010, 03:33:20 PM »
Then stay away from Kindles.  You just click when you see something that looks good, and before you know it, you've ordered all these books without a care in the world about how they get paid for.  Money?  They don't even ask for a credit card!  But just wait.   :-\

I told my brother it was like eating candy.  You don't know until you get on the scale.

So, you Kindle old-timers.  What's your technique for staying out of bankrupcy?

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1291 on: September 05, 2010, 04:15:36 PM »
pedln...get friends and family to give you gift certificates to amazon.com.  ::)

Also, there are a lot of older books that are free or very inexpensive - and no S&H.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

roshanarose

« Reply #1292 on: September 06, 2010, 12:22:30 AM »
This is a message from roshanarose's cat Roxanataj.  

I used to enjoy tearing up mum's newspapers, books, junkmail (which she loves).  In fact, anything I could get my claws on.  Mum solved the problem by putting one of her old sarongs in bed for me to suck on and knead with my claws.  She gave me a another Mum and now I don't rip up paper any more.
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

roshanarose

« Reply #1293 on: September 06, 2010, 12:26:24 AM »
Steph - I hear your sirens singing as well.  I need to lash myself to the nearest lamp post to prevent temptation when I go past book stores.  I rarely buy new books these days.  But there is something very satisfying about a beautiful new book in your hands.  I did buy a new book on Saturday - "The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo"- albeit in KMart at a reduced price.  I just couldn't wait for it to become available at the library.  The first 61 pages went completely over my head, but now I am getting into it.
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

Steph

« Reply #1294 on: September 06, 2010, 06:13:54 AM »
I have started Dragon
Tatoo three times, but cannot get past about 75 pages. Just not my thing.. Maybe in a while.

Babi

« Reply #1295 on: September 06, 2010, 08:51:02 AM »
 I'm about to start a mystery by an unexpected author...Georgette Heyer!  I've always enjoyed an occasional regency novel by her, but I
didn't know she had written a murder mystery.  Has she written any others that any of you know of?  It's titled "Behold, Here's Poison!"
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

ursamajor

« Reply #1296 on: September 06, 2010, 09:02:24 AM »
I just got "The Cold Dish" from the library.  I am looking forward to reading it.  Is anybody else hooked on Margaret Coel's mysteries set on an Arapaho Indian reservation?  I think she is even better than Tony Hillerman.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #1297 on: September 06, 2010, 11:44:50 AM »
I'm one of the very few people who don't care for the "The Girl with" books.  I put them on reserve and somehow got the second book first.  After reading it, I canceled the other two reserves.  It's well written but just doesn't interest me.

mrssherlock

« Reply #1298 on: September 06, 2010, 11:46:59 AM »
Babi: I didn't know you were a Heyer Regency fan.  I've read many of her mysteries but didn't enjoy them as well.  Have you read An Accomplished Woman  by Jude Morgan?  Much like Heyer's crazy plots and humor.  Some have compared it to Jane Austen; they must not have read Heyer.  JA is not LOL funny like Heyer and Morgan.
Jackie

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1299 on: September 06, 2010, 02:46:55 PM »
Here is a list of Georgette Heyers books with the mysteries listed first. Looks like enough to keep you busy for awhile.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/h/georgette-heyer/

Thanks for reminding me about Margeret Coel: I read a whole bunch of her books some years ago, then forgot to keep track. She must have some new ones by now.

Gumtree

« Reply #1300 on: September 07, 2010, 05:38:40 AM »
I've read what I thought was a good deal of Georgette Heyer's novels - including a few of the mysteries but that list is staggering. Wonder how available some of the titles are these days.
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

Babi

« Reply #1301 on: September 07, 2010, 08:26:36 AM »
JACKIE, I admit I'm somewhat disappointed in the Heyer mystery. It does
seem formulaic and lacks the charm of her novels. I have read "An
Accomplished Woman, enjoyed it immensely, and recommended it elsewhere...probably in the Library. It did remind me of Austen, but with a less prim and proper heroine.
  Heyer is very available here, GUM.  At one time our library had a small bookcase dedicated to her novels.  It's one they use to showcase a
particular author from time to time.

Steph

« Reply #1302 on: September 07, 2010, 08:54:59 AM »
I sold a lot of Heyer in the used bookstore. The regency novels are really done well..
I am reading one of Charlaine Harris Aurora Teagarden mysteries.. Obviously missed a whole bunch of them since the last one I read, she was selling real estate and dating and now she is a widow, etc.

joegreyfan

« Reply #1303 on: September 07, 2010, 08:04:17 PM »
Most of Georgette Heyer's books, both romances and mysteries, have been or are going to be reissued in beautiful trade paperback editions, some by Sourcebooks and some by Harlequin. I love her romances, though I haven't read nearly enough of them yet, and have enjoyed the few mysteries I've read, though not quite as much as the romances. I've heard that with the mysteries her husband devised the plots, then she did the writing.

mabel1015j

« Reply #1304 on: September 07, 2010, 09:37:03 PM »
What is a "trade paperback?" I've heard of them and seen some, but have never figured out the "why?" of them...................jean

Steph

« Reply #1305 on: September 08, 2010, 05:50:04 AM »
It is a large paperback.. Smaller than a book, but much larger than a regular paperback. They generally run in price between the two. No idea why the size was invented, but if you are having problems reading, the print is much larger.

ursamajor

« Reply #1306 on: September 08, 2010, 08:51:09 AM »
Larger print is a blessing.  I can read regular books all right, but the print in old yellowed paperbacks defeats me.

Steph

« Reply #1307 on: September 09, 2010, 05:59:17 AM »
I have inexpensive magnifier glasses all over the house. There are some paperbacks that I absolutely cannot read without them.

Tomereader1

« Reply #1308 on: September 09, 2010, 11:44:41 AM »
!Warning!  If any of you here read Nevada Barr, I understand her latest, "Burn" is extraordinarily violent and off-putting.  I have been unable to get it yet, but several book sites are saying that about it.  She usually has such "quiet violence" (if there is such a thing) in her books, makes me wonder??  Just wanted to make anyone aware.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Phyll

« Reply #1309 on: September 09, 2010, 12:01:14 PM »
I haven't read "Burn" but I did read "13 1/2" (not an Anna Pidgeon book) by Nevada Barr and, believe me, I was certainly surprised.  Very dark, very violent, very graphic.  I wonder why she is going this route?  Perhaps her editors have "suggested" it to gain readership?  I normally give up very quickly on violent, sadistic books but she is such a good writer that I stayed with this one and finished it.  However, I'll add it to your Warning List, Tome, "Burn" and "13 1/2" by Nevada Barr are very different books for her.
phyllis

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1310 on: September 09, 2010, 02:13:08 PM »
That's too bad. I really like Nevada Barr.

Thanks tho those of you whi suggested "In the Bleak Midwinter" by Julia Spencer-Fleming. Just finished it, and really liked it a lot. Now to get her second one.

mrssherlock

« Reply #1311 on: September 09, 2010, 02:25:12 PM »
My sister called with names of authors whose books were funny.  I've just finished the first on and it is great.  Heron Carvic's Picture Miss Seton has a protagonist who surpasses Miss Marple.  Armed only with her umbrella and her keen artist's discernment, Miss Seeton keeps the bad guys at bay and offers the police non-verbal cues to the players in this drama with her cryptic sketches.  The very last page is a prime example of this author's talent and sense of humor.  Don't peek.
Jackie

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1312 on: September 09, 2010, 02:28:35 PM »
Sounds great!

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #1313 on: September 09, 2010, 10:19:04 PM »
I have nine Miss Seeton books that I bought at our local "Friends of the Library" book sale.  They are a quick enjoyable read.

Steph

« Reply #1314 on: September 10, 2010, 06:20:31 AM »
M iss Seeton are lovely gently funny books. I real them all quite a while ago.
Yes Nevada Barr in Burn has gotten way too violent for me. I love her books and am so disappointed in what she has decided to do. Such a shame.. But then the Winter one was edging that way. Darn.. another writer bites the dust.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1315 on: September 10, 2010, 06:43:48 AM »
I'm sorry to hear about Barr, too.  Besides, Anna is getting a little bit "long in the tooth" for such activities. ::)
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Tomereader1

« Reply #1316 on: September 10, 2010, 12:06:44 PM »
I have found a new author who writes modern day, specific locale "cozies", if you will.  Mariion Moore Hill writes about a "scrappy" librarian in the state of Oklahoma.  The current book is "Death Books A Return", two others are "Deadly Will" and "Bookmarked for Murder".
Easy, quick read.  Librarian who just can't keep her nose out of police work, whose gentleman friend is a police Lt.   And, if I have usurped someone's recommendation on this site, I apologize.  I don't really remember where I got the suggestion for Ms. Hill's books.  Was able to get this one from my library via request.  Very light reading, but this one kept me up late last night.

André Maurois

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1317 on: September 10, 2010, 03:26:22 PM »
I remember reading a book with a librarian detective, but don't remember if that was the author.

mrssherlock

« Reply #1318 on: September 10, 2010, 08:54:13 PM »
There was another series about a librarian in Bellingham Washington.  Jo Dereske wrote 11 Miss Zukas books; I've read them all. 
Jackie

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1319 on: September 10, 2010, 09:03:01 PM »
That's the one I read! I think you told me about them. I knew it wasn't in Oklahoma.