Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 897761 times)

Frybabe

Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #2880 on: September 19, 2011, 09:03:08 PM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leader:    JoanK   

I just received my copy of Lee Slonimsky's (husband of Carol Goodman) book of poems, Pythagoras in Love. What a slim volume it is, only 64 pages.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2881 on: September 19, 2011, 09:16:27 PM »
What an interesting title!

Steph

« Reply #2882 on: September 20, 2011, 06:27:15 AM »
I have read all of Scottoline including the recent essays one.. Roberts.. Hmm, I read maybe three and like her, but not insanely.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Frybabe

« Reply #2883 on: September 20, 2011, 08:11:17 AM »
Steph, have you seen Hardcover Mysteries? The ID Channel ran four (I think it was only four) programs last year where they interviewed authors, Scottoline among them, about the real life inspirations for their novels. Each program focused on one crime, one author and the book the crime inspired. I've been looking for more, but so far none. Too bad. I really enjoyed the programs.

Babi

« Reply #2884 on: September 20, 2011, 10:20:50 AM »
 I just finished "Ghost Orchid", FRYBABE.  Goodman is endlessly surprising; I
can't begin to outguess her! She introduces her bits of revelation and weaves the
two stories together so flawlessly. Most impressive!
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Tomereader1

« Reply #2885 on: September 20, 2011, 10:44:53 AM »
I have been watching Inspector Lewis, and am enthralled by this program.  I don't know how I managed to miss it in its earlier permutations, but I am now a "fan". 

Can hardly wait for Downton Abbey to begin!  Did you all get your Masterpiece notifications?
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Frybabe

« Reply #2886 on: September 20, 2011, 11:35:29 AM »
Yes, Babi, and did you notice how at the very end she leaves a smidgen of doubt or a hint as to the real fate of Corinth?

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #2887 on: September 20, 2011, 02:38:57 PM »
FlaJean....Me, too...on checking out books and then being disappointed when they don't hold my interest.  I'm too old to read stuff that doesn't appeal to me.

JoLew...you don't have to change your username here because of your computer thing.  The username and password remain here at this site, not on your computer.  So, if you recall your old password, you can use the other username, if you wish.

If you need help, email me at the email under my name here.

jane

rosemarykaye

« Reply #2888 on: September 20, 2011, 04:22:48 PM »
Tomereader - we had the first episode of the second series on Sunday night and it was GREAT  :) :)

Rosemary

Steph

« Reply #2889 on: September 21, 2011, 06:28:12 AM »
What is an ID channel. I do love things on mysteries. Finished off the Marcia Muller.. Sharon is an interesting human being. One of the very few fictional female detectives, that I think I would like as a person.

Frybabe

« Reply #2890 on: September 21, 2011, 08:01:23 AM »
Steph, the ID channel is mostly real life crime investigations. ID stands for Investigative Discovery. http://investigation.discovery.com/

mabel1015j

« Reply #2891 on: September 21, 2011, 12:04:52 PM »
Just finished Jane Haddam's And One to Die For. It was terrible and yet i kept reading hoping against hope that it would get better. The conclusions of how the murders were committed were just too convoluted. Her physical descriptions of the house which figured prominently in the story were very confusing. The whole story was just too fantastic and unbelievable. The first one i read of Haddam's was o.k., but not great. I think i'll give up on her.

Jean

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2892 on: September 21, 2011, 02:44:26 PM »
For Jane Austen fanatics, only! I'm reading "Murder at Mansfield Park" by Lynn Shepherd. It's written for those who can't stand the heroine of Austen's "Mansfield Park", Fanny Price (I remember when we reaed MP on Senioprnet, that was about half of us).

I'll read anything that imitates Austen. It has A's style, minus her sense of humor, so it's a little stodgy.

Tomereader1

« Reply #2893 on: September 21, 2011, 04:57:22 PM »
Last week we had a talk at one of our branch libraries by the author of a new book, "My Jane Austen Summer - A Season in Mansfield Park" by Cindy S. Jones.   She gave a wonderful talk, and I think all of us bought the book (got it autographed).  So for all you Austenites, you might want to look for this one!  Her website is www.cindysjones.com
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Babi

« Reply #2894 on: September 21, 2011, 05:42:46 PM »
 Masterpiece Theatre presented two of the new Lewis series, then went off in
other directions. So annoying! I'm still waiting for them to come back and finish.
I received the first show of "Midsomer Murders" from Netflix and was quite pleased.
Now that I've checked it out, I'll be putting more of them on the queue. I love
most of the English mystery series; so much more laid back. Of course I have any
number of American favorites as well.

Thanks for the review on Haddam, JEAN. Save me some time.  :)
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2895 on: September 21, 2011, 09:51:50 PM »
I missed the one on Sunday, but it's being broadcast on a different station tonight.

jeriron

« Reply #2896 on: September 21, 2011, 10:23:46 PM »
Babi

Did the first shows of Midsomer Murders have close captions? I didn't think they did that!s why I never rented them.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #2897 on: September 22, 2011, 02:54:04 AM »
Tomereader - I had a look at Cindy Jones' site - the book looks good. Let us know how you find it.

Rosemary

salan

« Reply #2898 on: September 22, 2011, 05:59:37 AM »
Babi,  Do you have a DVR or capability to record tv shows?  My PBS station (out of Austin) also went on another tangent; but I found that a new Inspector Lewis is coming on this Monday at 3 a.m., so I've recorded it.  It usually comes on at 8 p.m on Sundays.  I don't know why PBS is doing this; but it's most aggravating!
Sally

Steph

« Reply #2899 on: September 22, 2011, 06:01:32 AM »
J ust finished the latest Kathy Reichs in paperback. I think a bit more scientific than I really was interested in. Chimeras?? and lots of DNA stuff. Oh well. The plot was interesting.

Babi

« Reply #2900 on: September 22, 2011, 08:15:34 AM »
 JERIRON, the old discs that my library carried did not.  But these from Netflix
do. I assume they were re-issued, with the more considerate closed captioning.

I do record shows, SALLY. I'll check to see if my station is going to put out
a 3a.m. that I haven't seen, but it does seem a silly way to go about anything.
The early a.m. shows are usually repeats.  Thanks for the tip.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #2901 on: September 22, 2011, 10:25:38 AM »
According to Netflix these are the Midsomer Murders that have SDH -- English subtitles.  The ones that came out in 2005 do not have them.  Babi, I'm glad you mentioned them because like Jeriron, I'd pretty much given up on them. Hopefully now all of the new productions will have them.

Midsomer Murders: The Creeper         2009 NR 100 minutes

Midsomer Murders: Midsomer Life       2008 NR 100 minutes

Midsomer Murders: The Glitch            2009 NR 100 minutes

Midsomer Murders: Shot at Dawn      2008 NR 100 minutes

jeriron

« Reply #2902 on: September 22, 2011, 02:11:53 PM »
I've seen all the newer ones that have SDH or CC. The older ones from when it first started do not have either one. I bought series 17 and 18.

Frybabe

« Reply #2903 on: September 22, 2011, 02:13:27 PM »
I've just started Riddle of the Sands by Erskine Childers. What is especially interesting is that it was published in 1903, way before WWI. Wikipedia says that it is one of the early invasion novels. So, as early as that people were worrying about Germany invading Britain. Like I said interesting. I'll let you know how I like it when I get into it farther.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2904 on: September 22, 2011, 02:59:00 PM »
I take it back about "Murder in Mansfield Park" being stodgy. By the end, i was really into it. For those who have read the original, which character would you turn into a murderer?

Gumtree

« Reply #2905 on: September 22, 2011, 03:02:22 PM »
Frybabe: Yes, do let's know - I read it years ago about the time they made a film of it - Michael York I think...
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

Frybabe

« Reply #2906 on: September 22, 2011, 09:15:19 PM »
I was just checking out what new books Henning Mankell has out and discovered that he has several new books out for young adults now. My latest acquisition from Mankell is The Troubled Man.

Just learned a new word from Riddle of the Sands: portmanteau, meaning a large suitcase. The story is coming along fine, but I did notice a rather derogatory description of a "Hebrew" merchant and his wares. Of course, the author could have been trying to convey how dirty and smelly were the dockside workshop shacks. Mr. Carruthers appears to be a bit snooty and fussy about appearances and proper protocol.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #2907 on: September 22, 2011, 10:46:18 PM »
I think that one of the classifications for Anne Rice's recent "angel" series is suspense fiction, so it seems to fit here.

I've just finished reading "Angel Time" and "Of Love and Evil" by Anne Rice about an assassin who is turning his life around and is visited by an angel (seraphim to be exact) who sends him on missions to the past (13th Century England and 15 Century Rome) to solve mysteries relating to specific people and work out his repentance using all his knowledge and skills). The books aren't as extensive as her vampire novels but they are interestingly written in her detailed, sensuous style, embedded in various locations. I've enjoyed the two books and look forward to reading more in the series. I hope she finishes the next one soon.

Gumtree

« Reply #2908 on: September 23, 2011, 04:38:51 AM »
Just learned a new word from Riddle of the Sands: portmanteau, meaning a large suitcase

Frybabe: Well before my time portmanteau was in common usage here - in the Eastern States they shortened the word to 'port' and still use that to mean suitcase. Here in the civilised west we've used 'suitcase' or just 'case' for as long as I can remember - these days one hears 'trolly' or 'trolley case' more and more - so it's changing again to reflect the modern suitcase. Language is just so interesting - sometimes I wish I'd studied it.

Steph

« Reply #2909 on: September 23, 2011, 06:05:08 AM »
Just  finished my very first Daniel Silva. It was an early one and has Michael Osbourne as the hero. I did like it very much, looked him up on my swap club and ordered two more. I also have his lates on my  IPAD..But did not want to try it until I had read some earlier ones.. Good author and I am not a fan of spies..

Babi

« Reply #2910 on: September 23, 2011, 08:58:07 AM »
'Portmanteau' always sounds very old-fashioned to me, perhaps because I seem to link
it with Hercule Poirot. I seem to remember he used a portmanteau on his travels, but
I could be wrong.

Gumtree

« Reply #2911 on: September 23, 2011, 10:38:58 AM »
Babi :  I think you're right !

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #2912 on: September 23, 2011, 11:39:36 AM »
We're going back and re-reading the Kate Shugak mysteries by Dana Stabenow on our Kindles.  We do enjoy them - and have forgotten enough that they seem "new".
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

mabel1015j

« Reply #2913 on: September 23, 2011, 12:16:08 PM »
I'm reading a book that has a feisty 30ish woman, who has a tendancy to find trouble,  as the protagonist. She has two very attentive, protective men in her life, one is a good-looking cop the other is an ex navy SEAL, an action man who dresses in black. In the first scene her car is destroyed and she next drives a big honkin 1996 Crown Victoria.

Sound familiar?
Wanna guess what it is?

No, it's not Evanovich or Stephanie Plum! But JE may have a spawn.

This is a book written by Susan Warren in 2009. The. main character is an apprentice PI, her boss is the ex SEAL and her "boyfriend" is the cop. There's no Grandma Maser, but there  is a couple of Russian emigres who speak little English who are the in-laws of her sister who provide the same comic relief.

I'll keep reading to see if it becomes orginal or keeps copying JE.     

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2914 on: September 23, 2011, 02:42:24 PM »
I'll have to look Susan Warren up. Clearly a plum imitater, but why not? I'm surprised there aren't more.

On Stabenow, I keep looking for one of my old copies, and not finding it. It's the one where she goes fishing on a crab boat. At the time I read it, I had trouble understanding some of her descriptions. But now that I've become a fan of "Deadliest Catch", the DiscoveryTV program about Alaskan crab fishermen, I realize it was all in Stabenow's book: the waves, the ice, the close quarters and quarrels, etc. and I want to reread the book.

Guess I'll have to  get it on my kindle.

Steph

« Reply #2915 on: September 24, 2011, 05:50:45 AM »
There are a number of Plum imitators.. Mostly not as good as Janet E, but still some are fun.

MaryPage

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #2917 on: September 25, 2011, 02:22:17 PM »
Interested in true crime?  There was a lot of talk about the Anthony trial in Florida.  This isn't a trial, but about a family all wound up in a crime.  And the mother seems to be the instigator of it all.  The son went in to hold up a pawn shop in Chattanooga last April.  A cop got there while it was in progress, and the son gunned him down with an automatic weapon.  The son was caught within a week (I think - we were out of town).

As the story progresses, his mother, father, sister, and her boyfriend were all arrested and held on various charges.  All except the son have pleaded guilty and are awaiting sentencing.  There's a long article in this morning's Chattanooga Times Free Press about the saga of the family.  Mom seems to be a 21th century version of Ma Barker. 
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #2918 on: September 25, 2011, 06:55:54 PM »
Aren't they a good lookin' trio there, Mary Z.  I'd sure hate to meet up with Mama on a dark and stormy night.  I'm glad some of her children have managed to leave the nest forever.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #2919 on: September 25, 2011, 08:56:45 PM »
At least with their pleading guilty (and in federal court), they'll be off the streets for a while.