Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 897783 times)

Steph

Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #2920 on: September 26, 2011, 06:11:53 AM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leader:    JoanK   

Seems they were in Florida for a while. I dont remember reading anything about them here however. I get the feeling that we are about to be plowed under with Casey Anthony books.. But she better not try to write one.. They have her owing a whole lot of money thus far and two trials coming up.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

MaryPage

« Reply #2921 on: September 26, 2011, 11:01:12 AM »
A dear, dear friend has just done me the favor of giving me the name of a new (to me) mystery author:  Rhys Bowen.

Elaine has now read a number of her books, and adores them.  I have just ordered 5 from Barnes & Noble on line, so I cannot give a first hand report as yet.  Anyone else know her books?

http://www.rhysbowen.com/

I ordered the Royal Spyness series, but she has written a number of others.  All sound good.

Steph

« Reply #2922 on: September 27, 2011, 06:36:12 AM »
I read one of the Molly Malone series and have another I started and then set aside. No idea why, but I find it hard to get into them..Hopefully you will do better.
I am reading an old Marcia Muller, not Sharon, but another protagonist. This one is about art mostly and is set in England although she is an American.

Frybabe

« Reply #2923 on: September 27, 2011, 07:42:33 AM »
I bought Mom a Constable Evans a while back, but she didn't care for the story bouncing back and forth between two different things going on. I haven't read it yet.

Well, my book inventory system doesn't work if I don't check it. I just discovered last night that I now have two copies of Lindsey Davis's Alexandria. Now, what to do with the spare copy.

Great! Another thunderstorm. Nice flash of near by lightning.

Babi

« Reply #2924 on: September 27, 2011, 08:48:45 AM »
 I would be delighted to see another thunderstorm.  We had one lovely soaker last week, but
not a drop since.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

mabel1015j

« Reply #2925 on: September 27, 2011, 01:32:22 PM »
I wish i could send you some Babi, we're soaked!
Jean

Steph

« Reply #2926 on: September 28, 2011, 06:17:30 AM »
Downloaded a new game on my IPAD and have been struggling with it ever since.. Lots of levels and a new activity entered as you do up.. Fun and addictive.. So reading suffered yesterday.
Also took a new class at the gym..Called Body Flow.. It is a mix of yogo, tai chi and pilates..
Whew.. I kept up mostly, but even after a hot shower and rest, i ache today..But it was great fun and stretched parts of me, that I did not consider stretchable.

salan

« Reply #2927 on: September 28, 2011, 07:20:26 AM »
I've read many of the Molly Malone series by Rhys Bowen.  I finally stopped because I was burning myself out.  It's been a while; so think I will pick up where I left.  I did enjoy them.
Start with the first as it sets the tone of books to follow.  Enjoy!  It's fun to have a new series to enjoy.
Sally

Babi

« Reply #2928 on: September 28, 2011, 08:53:16 AM »
Amazing how a new activity will find unused muscles, STEPH.  Actually, it sounds like it would
be very graceful, once you get the hang of it.  Me, I scarcely have a muscle left worthy of the
name.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

mabel1015j

« Reply #2929 on: September 28, 2011, 01:57:07 PM »
Steph - what's the game?

mabel1015j

« Reply #2930 on: September 28, 2011, 02:25:36 PM »
The Susan May Warren (akaEvanovich copy cat) book "Double Trouble" was entertaining, but not great, especially when compared to Evanovich, but a lot of the same kind of story. There even turns out to be a feisty old woman, not a grandmother,  but a neighbor.

Jean

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #2931 on: September 28, 2011, 02:29:37 PM »
The new class sounds like a good one, Steph.  Good girl!
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Steph

« Reply #2932 on: September 29, 2011, 06:31:46 AM »
When I get down to getting better in the class, it will be graceful. The Instructer ( Mae) looks like a cat when she moves. All of that instinctive grace.. I just mostly bend and mutter under my breath,but I do love it and plan on continuing it. I know from experience, it will take me a while before my muscles stop complaining.
IPAD  It is one of the Playrix games..I have several now. They let you try them free generally, but then charge for the whole game, but they are all continuing adventures and I do enjoy that type.

Steph

« Reply #2933 on: September 29, 2011, 10:25:08 AM »
Fl Jean,, The IPAD games.
Royal Envoy, Rise of Atlantis and Call of Atlantis. All are multi level type games and great fun. I am working on the Royal Envoy and on level 12 just now.. Good luck, they are addictive.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2934 on: September 29, 2011, 03:47:15 PM »
STEPH: the class sounds great. I have a chair Yoga class I do, which I'll bet is similar. Even though I've been doing it a while, after the Summer break, I was really stiff after the first class. It finds muscles I didn't know I had.

My problem is I don't practise between classes, and once a week isn't enough.

Steph

« Reply #2935 on: September 30, 2011, 05:44:11 AM »
I do agree, when I get back from my journey late in the month, I will start with the class again, suffer again, but hopefully can learn enough to practice at least once more each week.
Oh,, oh, wrong discussion, but I just finished
Run by Ann Patchett. I loved Patron Saint of Liars, medium liked Bel Canto, but I adored this last one.. What a wild ride.. The story had me carrying the book all day yesterday and reading inbetween appointments, etc.. I loved it..

Babi

« Reply #2936 on: September 30, 2011, 08:48:15 AM »
 My reception of Bel Canto was also somewhat lukewarm, STEPH. Mostly, I suspect, because I
was unhappy withthe ending.   But reading your post, I think I'll give Ms. Patchett another try.

salan

« Reply #2937 on: September 30, 2011, 02:16:00 PM »
Thanks for the info, Steph.  I have book marked the title on my library page.  I am getting ready to pick up 2 books  I had on reserve that are now waiting for me, Another Roadside Attraction by Tom Robbins and The Three Wiseman's of Westport by Cathline Schine.  I am still waiting for Caleb's Crossing by Geraldine Brooks.

I just finished the 2nd book in the Ivy Malone series (In Plain Sight) by Lorene McCourtney.  I thoroughly enjoyed the first one, Invisible; but this second one was so poorly done, that I won't read any more.  The author got too religious, quoting the Bible on every other page; plus she made Ivy too unbelievable.  aargh!
Sally

Steph

« Reply #2938 on: October 01, 2011, 05:42:47 AM »
Tom Robbins. I have not read him in years. Used to devour every single book. Must reaquaint myself with whatever he has new..But I have already read that one..Also the Three Weissman,, which I did not like as much as I had hoped.

Babi

« Reply #2939 on: October 01, 2011, 09:11:25 AM »
 I recently finished "Caleb's Crossing', SALLY, and it was excellent.  But of course, all of Miss
Brook's  work is excellent.  Her research is marvelous.  I was totally taken aback to learn that
the early settlers there referred to the natives as 'salvages', not savages.

Steph

« Reply #2940 on: October 02, 2011, 06:03:29 AM »
Picked up a Minette Walters that I had missed somehow. Just really starting it. The man has a serious injury from Iraq or Afghanistan. He is in the hospital recovering, but has a mild form of amnesia and some very serious  problems. Loss of an eye, etc. He has so much anger at this point, am not sure if I will go on. I dont think I want to read a book about anger..but I do like Minette's books..

Babi

« Reply #2941 on: October 02, 2011, 09:01:17 AM »
 Minette Walters has written some excellent books.  She has also written some that made me,
figuratively, take a step backward, so I understand what you mean, STEPH.  It's as though the
author's output was influenced by different emotional states.  Does that make sense?

MaryPage

« Reply #2942 on: October 02, 2011, 01:55:19 PM »
I think Minette Walters has no peer in this genre of writing.  Everything she has done deserves an A+ in my figuring.  About 5 of her books have been made into films in Great Britain and later shown on our PBS channels.  The films have been good, but, as is usually the case, I have preferred the books.  Each book stands alone and is quite different from every other. 

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/668473.The_Chameleon_s_Shadow

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minette_Walters

http://www.minettewalters.co.uk/books/index.htm

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2943 on: October 02, 2011, 03:28:06 PM »
I agree, Walters stands out in a field where the level of writing is not always the best. Quite dark for light reading though.

On a lighter note, some of you probably saw the movie "Erin Brockowitz (sp?) with julia roberts about a young single mother who becomes an environmental activist? The real Brockowitz has written a mystery story! The begining is clearly autobiographical, about what happens to her after the period in the movie. So far, so good --- I'll keep you posted.

Steph

« Reply #2944 on: October 03, 2011, 06:11:53 AM »
I was drawn in as usual with Minette.. The Book is called.. The Chamelon -----. Truly a fascinating story and as usual with her, you are left with a decision at the end that could go either way.. She is truly an unusual writer and a favorite of mine.

mabel1015j

« Reply #2945 on: October 03, 2011, 02:02:02 PM »
I picked up a Janet Dailey book at the library thinking i had read some good fiction by her in the past, this turned out to be a story of a woman private investigator and is pretty good. The book is upstairs so i can't give you either the title or the name if the PI. It was just a surprise and by the looks of the titles of previous books, many are mysteries.

Oh yeah, the ones i read before were about the Calders, historical fiction......just came to me.

Jean

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2946 on: October 03, 2011, 06:33:13 PM »
Finished the Erin Brockovich (think I have the spelling right this time) mystery "Rock Bottom". It's pretty good.  A murder with a background of an environmental problem. She says she decided that mystery fiction is a good way to reach a lot of people and get them thinking about those problems. Good for her. I'll look for more.

mabel1015j

« Reply #2947 on: October 03, 2011, 06:42:01 PM »
Sounds good, i'll look for it

Jean

Steph

« Reply #2948 on: October 04, 2011, 06:25:49 AM »
M y early Daniel Silvas came in the mail. Will take them with me when I go up to North Carolina this next week. Doing everything by phone is interesting.. The accents sometimes throw me.

Babi

« Reply #2949 on: October 04, 2011, 08:58:21 AM »
The accents sometimes throw me.
  I was surprised to discover, when I started
reading lips (to the best of my ability) that I could recognize when someone was speaking with
an accent by the way their lips formed the words.  Unfortunately, other than the English accent,
I'm usually unable to 'read' those speakers.  And of course, so many people speak too rapidly
to be 'read'.  The words run together.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2950 on: October 04, 2011, 03:38:15 PM »
" The words run together." I'm guilty of running my words together and slurring them, as several friends have told me.

Steph

« Reply #2951 on: October 05, 2011, 06:36:59 AM »
My bigger problem, even with my hearing aids are the number of people who cover their mouth when they talk.. sigh.. it does muffle everything..
I am not fond of books with a serious dialect.. Hard to figure.. Actually better to listen to than read.

Babi

« Reply #2952 on: October 05, 2011, 08:43:51 AM »
 Actually, I enjoy reading the dialects, even if it does include words I don't understand.  I can
generally get the drift, and it does so much to identify and 'fill out' a particular character. I can
always go luck up any word that really piques my curiosity.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #2953 on: October 05, 2011, 01:50:45 PM »
I read Irivine Welsh's Trainspotting a few years ago - it is set amongst drug takers in Edinburgh - and I found the dialect almost impenetrable.  I prefer to read plain English really.

Rosemary

roshanarose

« Reply #2954 on: October 05, 2011, 10:33:57 PM »
I have been using an excellent retail book site lately :

www.thebookdepository.co.uk

It seems odd but the books are much cheaper than Australia, and it has free shipping also ebooks, but not for Kindle (I don't think).  Fast and efficient.  I think their office is in Guernsey, which may be the reason the books are so cheap, as I think it is a tax haven.  Rosemary is that correct?

How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

Steph

« Reply #2955 on: October 06, 2011, 06:20:11 AM »
Started Silvas.. The English -----. I really like the way he writes..

Frybabe

« Reply #2956 on: October 06, 2011, 08:27:28 AM »
I checked out the Book Depository. I am impressed - so far. It has an agreement with ABeBooks for it's used and out-of-print books. Most importantly, it was bought by Amazon this summer. I wonder how long until it's free shipping, always, and current pricing will last.   Here is a news article pertinent to Australia regarding the acquisition: http://www.smh.com.au/business/amazon-swallows-the-book-depository-20110705-1h00b.html and here is the Guardian's take: http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/jul/05/amazon-the-book-depository

rosemarykaye

« Reply #2957 on: October 06, 2011, 10:58:34 AM »
Roshanarose, Jersey is definitely a tax haven, so I imagine that Guernsey is too as they are both part of the Channel Islands.  Often when we order something on the Amazon UK website it is despatched from Jersey. Our governments keep saying they are going to Do Something about these tax havens, but of course they never do - presumably because so many of their rich friends live there.

Does anyone remember Bergerac, the detective series set in Jersey? - John Nettles was the star, he who has only recently given up Midomer Murders.

Rosemary

roshanarose

« Reply #2958 on: October 06, 2011, 11:54:45 PM »
Frybabe - Thanks for that article from The Sydney Morning Herald.  Rather ironic that a friend from the US should alert me to it.  I think I will start spending a bit more at the book depository.  I want to get in before they change their policy and costs to reflect Amazon's.  I don't have a Kindle.

Rosemary - Yep.  Lots of rich Brit kiddies in those havens. I wonder how much you have to pay to live there?
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

Steph

« Reply #2959 on: October 07, 2011, 06:12:01 AM »
The Silva races along. I am really busy with this week with a number of committments, but I am carrying the book with me, since I really like it.. Must check out my paperback swap to see how many of his older ones, I can get.