Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 897942 times)

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #3560 on: April 08, 2012, 12:52:57 PM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leader:    JoanK   

I just finished the latest Donna Leon book "beastly Things".  I think it is one of her best.  Someone is finally going to get their just due.  Leon, an American, has lived in Venice for 30 years and (from what I have read) loves it there, but still writes honestly about environmental concerns and Italian gov. Corruption.  I love Paola (Brunetti's wife) and how she serves her family all those delicious meals while I'm reading and eating potato chips.  Oh, well.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3561 on: April 08, 2012, 03:13:47 PM »
That's my only quarrel with Leon: Paola is supposed to be a serious professional scholar, yet she has time and energy to cook and serve these incredible meals twice a day. Trying  to make the rest of us mere humans feel bad?

Tomereader1

« Reply #3562 on: April 08, 2012, 07:01:59 PM »
Has anyone here ever read books about a book store owner in Denver?  I believe he specialized in certain genre of antique books?  Can't even bring up the author on my brain pad.  Would that be my "iPad"?  No.  Don't own one of those.
Are you thinking of John Dunning?  Booked to Die; The Bookman's Wake, etc.?
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Steph

« Reply #3563 on: April 09, 2012, 05:56:00 AM »
I love John Dunning . Have read every single one of the books and treasured them. They teach you so much about books and values.. The stories are great. All in all, a good writer, who does not write many books..
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Babi

« Reply #3564 on: April 09, 2012, 08:36:02 AM »
Actually, that is what I found so unrealistic about the Donna Leon
books,...a supposedly busy professional woman cooking chef-style meals
twice a day. Come on!!
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

rosemarykaye

« Reply #3565 on: April 09, 2012, 08:59:54 AM »
Well i know what you mean, but maybe that is what they do in Italy?  I don't think they work nearly such long hours as we do here in the UK.  More Quality of Life.

jeriron

« Reply #3566 on: April 09, 2012, 09:27:55 AM »
From what I've read Italians have their big meal at lunch time and most leave work and go home for that time and usually don't go back to work again until midafternoon and come home later in the evening then we do do here in the states.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #3567 on: April 09, 2012, 09:39:21 AM »
I suppose that must be true - but when I went to Siena, whole families seemed to be doing the traditional after dinner walk around the town (often with ice cream) by 8-9pm, so presumably they don't work that late (though shops are open very late after an afternoon closing).

When my friend's son was at a local primary school in the south of France, he always got 2 hours for lunch - our children get about 45 mins I think - in fact it was shortened at my son's town primary school to try to stop all he trouble in the playground.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3568 on: April 09, 2012, 03:17:14 PM »
This long lunch break is traditional in many countries with a hot climate: and makes a lot of sense-- rest during the hottest part of the day. It was still being observed when I lived in israel during the 60s but was already disappearing. It depends on workers being able to go home and come back easily, as in a small town, and is less practical in a city. And air conditioning does away with a lot of the need.

But if Leon tells us that they still do it in Venice, I believe her.

Steph

« Reply #3569 on: April 10, 2012, 06:11:22 AM »
When we were touring in Italy, we found that most of the towns ( not Rome and Florence,etc), but the smaller areas had a long long lunch and then the shops remained closed until perhaps 3 or 4.. Then back open for the evenings. Gelato in the mid evenings seemed to be universal and I have no idea how they keep their figures.. Although gelato is great and the most beautiful flavors and colors.

jeriron

« Reply #3570 on: April 10, 2012, 08:01:06 AM »

That's how it was when we were in Italy. Also we were told when we were booking that a lot of the shops close in Aug. when most people go on vacation. That was why we changed our trip to Oct.

MaryPage

« Reply #3571 on: April 10, 2012, 05:53:08 PM »
We have the real Italian gelato here in Annapolis, and I adore the hazelnut and the chocolate hazelnut and the caramel and the tiramisu and, oh dear, so many other wonderful flavors and I have had to give it all up!  Sob!

Well, it was all great while it lasted!

The Michael Dibdin murder mysteries set in Italy are great.  Aurelio Zen is the dectective, and I adored Rufus Sewell playing Zen on Masterpiece Mystery.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3572 on: April 10, 2012, 06:30:45 PM »
The Italian gelato sounds wonderful. I love anything with hazelnuts.

Steph

« Reply #3573 on: April 11, 2012, 06:30:04 AM »
Gelato is absolutely great, but oh me,, the calories involved. I love a little shop in one of of the Italian Hill towns, that said.....Second Best Gelato in all of Italy.. Made us laugh on the tour and dutifully troop in to see what it was.. Absolutely spectacular was the answer.. Had to be 30 flavors.. but I too love the Chocolate Hazelnut.

Babi

« Reply #3574 on: April 11, 2012, 08:47:13 AM »
 I really must try to find and taste some gelato.  My husband had a chance to enjoy it, and my
daughter on her trip, and both said it was wonderful.  I've lost so much weight I can afford to
eat anything I can digest.  ;)
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #3575 on: April 11, 2012, 03:03:07 PM »
Gelato will definitely be one of the things we'll look for when we get to Italy next month.  (Not hazelnut for me, though. ::) )
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

rosemarykaye

« Reply #3576 on: April 12, 2012, 06:12:41 AM »
Mary, how exciting - where are you going?

Rosemary

Steph

« Reply #3577 on: April 12, 2012, 06:31:32 AM »
I agree ,, MaryZ. where are you going?? in Italy that is.. Is it a Road Scholar,, tour or just on yourselves?? Italy has lovely small towns and superhighways to get there, but lunatic drivers.. We loved the Lakes area in the far norht and then way down the boot in Pompeii.. I want to go back to Pompeii, but am not quite sure how to do it alone..

Babi

« Reply #3578 on: April 12, 2012, 08:52:15 AM »
  I decided not to finish my Ruth Rendell book.  I found myself reluctant to
pick it up, and realized I really didn't care for any of the characters, so
why would I want to spend time with them?  ???

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #3579 on: April 12, 2012, 11:39:12 AM »
It's a Road Scholar program afloat - Voyage to Antiquities.  We start in Venice.  Then to Ravenna, Split (Croatia), one of the Greek islands, around the "boot", don't remember about Sicily, Rome, Pompeii, Nice, Marseilles?, end up in Cannes.  I don't have the itinerary in front of me, but it's on their web site.  A two-week trip at the end of May/first of June.  We're excited.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

rosemarykaye

« Reply #3580 on: April 12, 2012, 12:12:30 PM »
Mary, that sounds great.  The only one I've been to is Pompeii, which was fascinating (take good shoes and water...).  Where would you dock for that?  Naples?

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #3581 on: April 12, 2012, 01:19:39 PM »
Rosemarykaye, here's the itinerary from the web site.

http://www.roadscholar.org/n/program/dailySchedule.aspx?dID=1-5ROARX

rosemarykaye

« Reply #3582 on: April 12, 2012, 01:46:00 PM »
Mary, it looks absolutely wonderful.  I see you go to Sorrento (which I have been to) and also to Venice (ditto).  I would love to see all those other places - then you have the added advantage of being able to go back to the ship at night and just relax, not worry about moving on to different hotels.

Have you been to Pompeii before?  I'm sure Ginny can give you much more advice than I could, but I seem to remember that you can go in a cable car up the side of Vesuvius if you have time (we didn't as it was quite cloudy and also I don't like cable cars).

Have a great time!

Rosemary

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3583 on: April 12, 2012, 02:28:49 PM »
That does sound wonderful!

BABI: good decision. I'm not that smart. I'm reading the latest Diane Mott Davidson (Crunch Time) and it's sooooo long -- it goes on and on. It has one good character in it, a feisty senior, but it is full of other minor characters that don't do much: I'll bet she promised to put all her friends in this one!

Well, I'm almost finished, and it did put me to sleep last night.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #3584 on: April 12, 2012, 04:31:13 PM »
We've not been anywhere in that area before, so it'll all be new to us.  I have been told that the walking in Pompeii can be difficult - and I'm not the steadiest person in the world  ::), so I will be taking a cane.  I have no idea what sort of time we'll be given.  John might do a cable car - not my favorite thing, either.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #3585 on: April 12, 2012, 05:46:34 PM »
Mary - Pompeii is not hilly, just a bit uneven - a cane is probably a good idea.  There are some cafes but they are not particularly nice or cheap, I think we took a picnic.  And a sun hat might be a good idea (let's hope).  Venice is much easier to walk around and of course there are no cars to worry about.  The cafes there are unbelievably expensive - take supplies if possible!

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #3586 on: April 12, 2012, 06:25:02 PM »
On river cruises we've taken, there are usually tours, then back  to the boat for midday meal.  I'm sure there will be some free time when we can look for places on our own, though.  We love finding little out-of-the-way/local places to eat or snack.  When we travel on our own, we tend to skip lunch for maybe coffee and a pastry, then have an early evening meal.  We'll see.

Frybabe

« Reply #3587 on: April 12, 2012, 09:18:02 PM »
I managed to get a chapter of homework read while waiting during George's surgery. Hurray for me! It wasn't easy with all the noise in the room. Sad to say lots of babies in for surgery today.

Anyhow, I also got a lot read from Return of the Dancing Master. It has similarities to his Wallander series, but not quite as good, I think. What surprised me though, was that Mankell managed to tie a Wallander case to the one in this book. One of the characters in this one was related to one of the characters in Faceless Killers, or whichever one set the initial murder at a house at the beach. A number of the characters in Return are/were Nazi sympathizers, some of whom joined the German Army during WWII. This is a tale of long awaited revenge and a police detective dealing with his fear of death after finding out he has cancer.

roshanarose

« Reply #3588 on: April 12, 2012, 11:31:19 PM »
MaryZ - I have always wanted to go on one of those cruises.  Your destinations sound fantastic.  Many of those cities have had several different countries influence their architecture and customs.  For me that is what makes them so fascinating.  The Venetian influence is all over the Aegean Sea.  They built their forts as far north as Thessaloniki, Alexander the Great country.  I took a photo of that fort and it now hangs oversized in canvas on my kitchen wall. 

I noted that the Greek island you are visiting is Corfu (Korkyra).  I have not been there but I believe it is very beautiful with a striking Italian influence, from the Venetians and later Italians.

I know that you are going to have a fabulous time.  In case I forget let me say:

ΚΑΛΟ ΤΑΞΙΔΙ. Good Trip
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

Steph

« Reply #3589 on: April 13, 2012, 06:20:29 AM »
The trip sounds wonderful. Have a great time. I loved Pompeii.. I want to go back.. Just cannot figure out how to do it alone.. Venice.. Is beautiful and full of people. Everything is a line to go to.. The Greek Islands intrigue me and I may do them some day on a cruise type..  Just remember in Italy.. Standing and getting a coffee, etc. is one price..Sitting in one of the chairs and having a coffee is a much much higher price. No idea why..

Babi

« Reply #3590 on: April 13, 2012, 08:33:14 AM »
Something that can put one to sleep can be most invaluable at times, JOANK.
Might be worth keeping about just fot that. ;)

You need a traveling buddy, STEPH.  A good friend who enjoys traveling, too. Then the
both of you would have someone to talk with about all you're doing and seeing, and trade
reminiscences later.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #3591 on: April 13, 2012, 01:05:17 PM »
Steph,
Maybe there's a chair rental fee??? :D
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #3592 on: April 13, 2012, 03:07:19 PM »
Mary.

You trip sounds fantastic. covering everything.  No repacking, changing hotels and great places.  Never taken one where stay with the ship.  Now I don't even check them out anymore.  Having to do single as very few have where one doesn't have to pay a supplement if just to expensive.  No friends left now who want to go anyplace.

Steph

« Reply #3593 on: April 14, 2012, 06:49:34 AM »
 No, there is some sort of Tax law, that taxes sit down food, but not takeout.. Weird but true.
Reading an old Daniel Silva that I had missed. The Confessor. He meets Chiara in this one. Who knew.. He is really raking over the Vatican. Not the pope, but some priests. But he did quite a speach about Pius.. and I agree with every word.

Babi

« Reply #3594 on: April 14, 2012, 08:40:22 AM »
  I was interested to find a mystery writer appearing as a contestant on Jeopardy the last two
days.  She won the first day.  Her name is Judy Nichols, and apparently wrote a couple of books
based in Connecticut.  I was amused when she was telling Trebek about a writer's get-together
to compare info/ideas.  As she pointed out, "You really can't call a poison control center and ask
them to tell you a poison that can't be detected on autopsy."  :D

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3595 on: April 14, 2012, 02:05:49 PM »
Here she is in Fantastic Fiction. Sounds interesting.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/n/judy-nichols/

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #3596 on: April 14, 2012, 08:09:25 PM »
I looked for her, too.  Will see if I can get something of hers from our library.  The recommended booksellers for her books were all in England. Hope I can fine her here.
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3597 on: April 14, 2012, 08:26:29 PM »
judy Nichols mysteries aren't on kindle, but a book called "building a log cabin between meals" is for $0.99. I got the free sample (too cheap to spend even a dollar without looking first).

Steph

« Reply #3598 on: April 15, 2012, 06:05:09 AM »
JoanK..What a neat title. Not that I want to build a log cabin..

nlhome

« Reply #3599 on: April 15, 2012, 09:19:20 AM »
I see that Atria's Great Mystery Bus Tour is coming to a city near me - have any of you heard about it? I can't get there Tuesday, but it sure sounds like it would be fun. Authors are John Connolly, William Kent Krueger, Liza Marklund & M.J. Rose. I have one of Krueger's books on my "to be read" pile, so it's moving to the top and will be next up - just to see what I think.

Right now I am reading another Donna Leon book, but