Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 898119 times)

MaryPage

Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #4240 on: September 23, 2012, 05:51:27 PM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leader:    JoanK   

When my son Rob visited earlier this month, he brought me piles of books, as he always does.

Two of them are by Steven Saylor and are murder mysteries set back in Ancient Rome.  Robby tells me they are great, though I have not had time to start one, as I have some other stacks to get to first.  One is titled The Judgment of Caesar and the other is titled Roman Blood.  Rob says there are many more if I get hooked.

Frybabe

« Reply #4241 on: September 23, 2012, 06:47:02 PM »
Oh, lucky you MaryPage. I have been reading Lindsey Davis' series which is set a little later in time than the Saylor books. Davis had done her last Didius Falco book, so now maybe I will switch to Saylor's and see what his books are like.

Steph

« Reply #4242 on: September 24, 2012, 08:41:16 AM »
I have read a few of the Saylor books,but I do like Lindsays more..Jamie Harrison.. maybe she is oe of those people who had something to say and when done.. never wrote again. No idea.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #4243 on: September 24, 2012, 03:20:38 PM »
Read another Professor Shaw book last night. Their only problem is that they're short: I keep having to buy more. In this one, he's talking about an ethnic group called the Melungeons (spelled from memory: I'm sure that's wrong. A group of people with mixed Portuguese, African, and middle Eastern heritage that lives in the North carolina Mountains. Do any of you know anything about them? Off to find the right spelling.

In edit: what do you know: I spelled it right. That's a first! The book is "The Fugative King" by Sarah Shaber.

Frybabe

« Reply #4244 on: September 24, 2012, 03:48:52 PM »
Has anyone read any of Tarquin Hall's Vish Puri series books?

http://www.amazon.com/Tarquin-Hall/e/B001K8NU1W

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #4245 on: September 24, 2012, 04:52:31 PM »
Yes, I enjoyed the first two a lot. Didn't know there was a new one out. "The case of the Deadly Butter chicken". I love his humorous take on life in India. but below it, you can see he loves it.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #4246 on: September 24, 2012, 05:03:33 PM »
Joan, there are a lot of stories about the Melungeons in Tennessee - usually in an area in middle/east TN near the KY border.  Click here for the Wikipedia entry about them.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #4247 on: September 24, 2012, 05:21:25 PM »
You think you know your own country, and find there is always more to learn. Another mystery I read talked about an ethnic group (part Portuguese) in Alabama. I'll have to go back and see if they are the same or different.

I should check Fantastic Fiction more often. Just finished writing about Shaber's Professor shaw series, when I went over to fiction, and nlhome is writing about another series by Shaber, "Louise's War". Seems she's abandoned the professor, and moved to Washington DC during WWII. That's great for me: I grew up in DC during WWII.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/sarah-r-shaber/

nlhome

« Reply #4248 on: September 24, 2012, 09:02:05 PM »
JoanK, you'll like the setting then, I think. I recognize the streets, we walked them a lot, and Embassy Row and probably a lot of the hotels, etc. would possibly be familiar to you.

I also have a copy of The Fugitive King waiting to be read.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #4249 on: September 24, 2012, 11:11:03 PM »
Followup on the Melungeons:  I looked again tonight, and here's a link to a Huffington Post story datelined Nashville, TN.  It's about DNA evidence that's been found.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/24/melungeon-dna-study-origin_n_1544489.html
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

salan

« Reply #4250 on: September 25, 2012, 06:29:43 AM »
I am constantly amazed at how little I know!  I had never heard of Melungeons--never even heard the word before.  How many of you are the same??  Thank you for contributing to my ongoing education.
Sally

rosemarykaye

« Reply #4251 on: September 25, 2012, 07:34:55 AM »
Never heard of them Sally.  My excuse is being English  :)

Steph

« Reply #4252 on: September 25, 2012, 08:27:09 AM »
My Mother was a southerner and so I had heard the word. Actually in Delaware there is a \small group of ambiguous people called Moors.. They claim Spain, but locally they are regarded as mixed race..
I loved that Sarah Shaber book.. Simon came from the area and going back was a hoot..

Babi

« Reply #4253 on: September 25, 2012, 09:21:10 AM »
 Me, too, SALLY.  Thanks for those links, MARYZ.  I knew nothing about Melungeons.  I feel sorry for those who
were so pleased to think they were of Portuguese or Native American origin, and discovered they are not.  I am
happy with my bit of Cherokee blood, and would be disappointed to be told it wasn't so.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

mabel1015j

« Reply #4254 on: September 25, 2012, 01:07:12 PM »
Am reading Delectable Mountains, apparently a name of a quilt pattern, but not sure how it fits in the story, by Earlene Fowler. It is well written. She does a good job of dropping hints of potential suspects and keeps me guessing. Her protagonist is written in a way that reminds me of Judge Deborah Knott, a person who seems very real and someone i'd like to be friends with. They are also both married to police officers and have similar conflcts over that.

Also reading Murder Walks the Plank by Carolyn Hart. The first 20 pages was the introduction of about a dozen different characters, which almost put me off the book. But when she finally got to talking about the bookstore and its owner and the murder, she got me back again.

Jean

retired

« Reply #4255 on: September 25, 2012, 03:29:53 PM »
Medical Thrillers
Any one interested in reading medical thrillers ?
My two favorite authors are : Robin Cook and Michael Palmer.
Both are physicians and each have a new 2012 title which I enjoyed .
They are both prolific writers .

Steph

« Reply #4256 on: September 26, 2012, 08:46:30 AM »
For some reason I dont read medical thrillers. Never thought of it until you mentioned the authors.. Funny how you get into patterns. I am readinga mystery that uses Clara Barton as the protagonist.. She is in the Hilton Head area during the war.. Writer is one I was familiar with, but now she used three names instead of the two she did originally..

Babi

« Reply #4257 on: September 26, 2012, 09:30:51 AM »
  I've read some Robin Cook, RETIRED, but I don't believe I've read anything by Michael Palmer.  Are his stories similar
to, or different from, the kind by Robin Cook?
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

marjifay

« Reply #4258 on: September 26, 2012, 10:52:08 AM »
I don't read medical thrillers either, Steph.  Or forensics mysteries.  Or watch TV hospital dramas like House.  Ugh!

(Sorry, I seem to be in a negative mood today.)

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

MaryPage

« Reply #4259 on: September 26, 2012, 12:13:49 PM »
I do not, on purpose that is, read medical thrillers either.  I suspect it is because I want to TRUST all hospitals, doctors and nurses (I do not, but I WANT to), and I cannot emotionally bear to think of skulduggery going on in those hallowed halls.

Frybabe

« Reply #4260 on: September 26, 2012, 12:30:32 PM »
I haven't read any strictly medical thrillers. When I was young I read several medical detective books, but they were non fiction accounts of public health events that CDC investigated, like you might see today with e. coli and salmonella in food, or the hunt for causes of groups of people getting sick from Legionnaires disease. Andromeda Strain could be listed as a medical detective story as well as SciFi, I guess. I also read S.L. Viehl's series which revolved around a doctor, but was more squarely in SciFi camp. That was more about her trying to live her own life and stay away from a diabolical father who was chasing after her along with just about everyone else in the universe. Daddy had big bucks and lots of power and he wanted his genetically constructed daughter/experiment back. Haven't followed medical shows since the sixties, either, not even House.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #4261 on: September 26, 2012, 03:25:30 PM »
I admit I'm squeamish at the level of detail in medical thrillers, although I do watch "Bones" on Tv, /(and close my eyes at points).

I liked louise's war a lot. It really brought back a host of memories: working in the summer in a windowless government office, covered with floor to ceiling wooden file cases that acted as insulation so no air could get in -- workers were known to faint from the heat.

And she went to my University (GWU) and ate lunch at the same drugstore we used to eat at -- hadn't thought about that for years.

And sneaking into embassies -- a fellow student used to live at an embassy (I forget which one) and sneak us in for parties. Not exactly the posh parties that Louise went to.

But "Louise's Gamble" is only available in hardback. I'll check my library.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #4262 on: September 26, 2012, 03:48:16 PM »
I didn't like House, but not because of the medical part.  I watched a couple of episodes and wanted to kill him.  I figured if I hated the main character, there was no point in watching the show.

However, if you ever get a chance to listen to Hugh Laurie play and sing the blues, you'll be WOWed!  He's fabulous!

nlhome

« Reply #4263 on: September 26, 2012, 10:43:44 PM »
There's only one copy of Louise's Gamble in our library system, and as it's newly acquired, can't request it yet. I look forward to reading it.

Babi

« Reply #4264 on: September 27, 2012, 08:38:31 AM »
 MARYPAGE, it's not necessarily skullduggery, but it's a good idea to check, if
you have anyone in the hospital, to be sure they're receiving good care. Some
are understaffed, and not every professional is equally competent. My daughter
Valerie had a really bad experience in the hospital because a nurse was not
following orders. (The doctor blew his top when he finally found out, but Val
had already suffered terribly.)

Steph

« Reply #4265 on: September 27, 2012, 08:51:10 AM »
I think I must have been lucky with the hospital after the accident. Everyone was so kind and gentle with me. Good care,,, good doctors and supurb nursing.. I thank my lucky stars.
I am anxious to get hold of the two Louise books. I do like Simon and think Shaber is a good writer.

MaryPage

« Reply #4266 on: September 27, 2012, 01:56:11 PM »
Babi, I know what you mean, and I am sorry someone near and dear to you suffered.

My daughter who is a nurse comes home with stories all the time.  Sometimes it is doctors who are lazy and want to stay on the golf course and not come in and do something only they can legally do.  My daughter decided years ago (she will be 61 in November) that she will NOT go against regulations and perform a doctor only task.  Why should SHE get fired because the doctor is lazy?  Often it is a nurse who loves to cut corners and has the hubris to believe she can perform a task without any instruction.  This type is ever amongst us, and causes infinite harm.  Most in-hospital mistakes get covered up.  A humongous number of deaths in hospital every day are accidental.  Every day.  Scary stuff.

If I am ever hospitalized, this daughter and 3 granddaughters who are nurses will take turn about staying in there with me until I am released.  The papers are all filled out and signed and witnessed with my orders for this.  I am so blessed.

http://www.cancure.org/medical_errors.htm

Babi

« Reply #4267 on: September 28, 2012, 08:20:09 AM »
  A daughter and three granddaughters who are nurses!  Lucky you.  You must have a family of natural
nurturers and caretakers.

I am now reading Daniel Silva's "Fallen Angel".  Why is it backgrounds of the Vatican, art treasures, etc.,
always fascinate me?  In a happy bit of serendipity, I discovered there will be a Caravaggio exhibit featured
in Houston in October.  Wouldn't it be wonderful if some of the pictures Silva describes are there?
  Incidentally, I was studying the photo of the author on the back cover, and it occurred to me the
description of his hero, Gabriel Allon, looks remarkably like Silva himself.  8)

Steph

« Reply #4268 on: September 28, 2012, 08:42:46 AM »
Aha..Babi, I feel the same way with Silva. He looks like an interesting man. I love all of Silvas books.. and like you find the Vatican fascinating.
Caraveggio.. hmm. Houston.. too far to drive. darn..

Babi

« Reply #4269 on: September 28, 2012, 08:48:54 AM »
  I got the impression that other places are exhibiting Caravaggios, too, STEPH.  Maybe you can find
one much closer.

MaryPage

« Reply #4270 on: September 28, 2012, 10:10:19 AM »
My very favorite thing about my iPad is the app for ArtPuzzles I bought.  Jigsaw puzzles of famous art.  Doing the puzzles is fun and very relaxing, but what I love most I find is that I have the collection of art to look at and examine closely.  This is one instance where being lit up from behind is extremely helpful.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #4271 on: September 28, 2012, 10:27:19 AM »
I just looked up Daniel Silva's background and it seems very useful for the books that he writes.  From wikipedia:

Silva was born in Michigan and raised in California. He was raised Catholic and converted to Judaism as an adult.

Silva began his writing career as a journalist with a temporary job at United Press International in 1984. His assignment was to cover the Democratic National Convention. His position was made permanent and, a year later, Silva was transferred to the Washington, D.C., headquarters. After two more years, he was appointed as UPI's Middle East correspondent and moved to Cairo, Egypt.

Silva returned to Washington, D.C., for a job with CNN's Washington Bureau. He worked as a producer and executive producer for several of the network's television programs, including Crossfire and Capitol Gang....

Silva has written 15 spy novels, all best-sellers on the New York Times list. The main focus is Gabriel Allon, an Israeli art restorer, spy and assassin, who is a key figure in twelve of Silva's titles. ...Silva did not come into the Allon series with a significant understanding of the world of art restoration but was able to use a neighbor's expertise to help him turn a spy-assassin into an artist.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #4272 on: September 28, 2012, 03:28:52 PM »
Mary: I love to do jigsaw puzzles of famous art. Putting the puzzle together makes me see all kinds of details of the artists use of color and shading that I would never have noticed otherwise!

I'm intrigued by a mystery book I found yesterday in the library: "Mozart's Last Aria". The author imagines that Mozart's sister has come to Vienna after his death to investigate whether he was murdered (Salieri is not a suspect, as he was in the movie "Amadeus"). So far, its as much about her frustration as a talented pianist who, as a woman, wasn't allowed to continue her career as it is about the murder.

Since I love Mozart, I'm fascinated by all the details.

Babi

« Reply #4273 on: September 29, 2012, 08:23:30 AM »
 Interesting, MARCIE.  Raised as a Catholic, converted to Judaism. That seems unusual, doesn't it?  And I would have
sworn Silva was very knowledgeable in art, considering how well he writes about it.  Of course, by now he probably
does know a great deal more.

Steph

« Reply #4274 on: September 29, 2012, 08:37:13 AM »
Ah, I did wonder about his religion,But the conversion explains how close he is to both religions. Wonderful writer. One of the very very few spy type novelist I read

Lorac625

• Visiting the replica Parthenon in Nashville,TN,USA
« Reply #4275 on: September 29, 2012, 02:47:21 PM »
I first must mention to FryBabe that my son (who is 16) has played all of the 'Mass Effect' video games,and one of the characters is  Miranda Lawson, a woman who ran away from her billionaire dad who had had her genetically modified and wanted to use her in his plans of galactic dominance.  She also later grabbed a younger sister he had done the same thing to, and 'freed' her.  Suspiciously close, eh?
    Secondly,I too am fascinated by anything set in the Vatican,but that's because they have so much from my favorite period of the world ( pretty much anything BCE!). It was so miraculous to see actual Roman mosaics...  I have read a lot of the Didius Falco books, and Stephen Saylor's books.  Immerse yourself in Antiquity whenever possible!
    Third,I do read Robin Cook,although I haven't seen 'House'.  I know Hugh Laurie from the Black Adder series and  I've heard about it,but we don't really watch much TV.   My husband is a Dr. so we quit watching medical shows,even back when we watched TV.  (we watched 'St. Elsewhere' before he was in med school)  Hospitals are like everywhere else,staffed and filled by error prone humans,who often don't do the self checks they should.  However,I have been in the hospital A LOT, (probably would total at least 3 years out of the past 20) and I must say that on the whole,nursing and care staff do terriffically well in very difficult,stressful jobs,and most hospitals are understaffed to an alarming degree.  I suppose Robin Cook would frighten me more if my husband wasn't a hospitalist,so that I know what really goes on!
    I also love doing jigsaw puzzles of art.  I used to work a lot of real ones, but since I married a cat lover,and then gave birth to a second cat person, which is why we have 3 cats in the house...I do them on my iPad!  Missing pieces are too frustrating!.
      And to JoanK- I will have to look up the Mozart mystery.  People constantly compare my composer son to Mozart and,of course,I studied and love his music.
Lorac 625

Frybabe

« Reply #4276 on: September 29, 2012, 04:39:57 PM »
Lorac625, if you haven't already read it, you might like Night Villa by Carol Goodman. The story revolves around the Villa of the Papyri at Herculaneum. There is a back and forth between modern day and the days just before Vesuvius did a number on the town. We had a discussion of the book back in 2009 (gosh, that long ago?). The author joined us for the discussion, which was really cool.

http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=469.0

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #4277 on: September 29, 2012, 10:09:53 PM »
Lorac: here's what I posted about the Mozart mystery in The Classical Corner on seniors and Friends:

I've finished the book, but won't tell who dunnit. it has some flaws as a mystery: frenetic sometimes, boring sometimes, and the supporting characters are never real somehow. But its strengths are the bits about Mozart and the character Nunnerl. The author said he made understanding her, and how it felt to have lived with Mozart, and then have to live without him a major focus, and I think he succeeded.

In afterward, the author (Matt Rees) says "In the classical period, music was almost rigidly precise. mozart took this sense of order and undermined it, creating musical tention almost without our hearing it. He resolves the tension at the end of each section or of each piece, so that listeners are left deeply satisfied by the restoration of order. Sounds a bit like a crime novel."

What do you all think? He's right about the crime novel (mystery story) -- I think thats one reason I find them so satisfying. Do you think he's right about Mozart?

Steph

« Reply #4278 on: September 30, 2012, 08:20:40 AM »
I actually found a Patricia Cornwall from some years ago.. Not a good one.. I think it was called Trace.. She simply is so scattered now..Besides a number of characters sure sound like payback to me.

Frybabe

« Reply #4279 on: September 30, 2012, 09:32:06 AM »
JoanK, Thanks for reposting your Classical Corner post about Mozart's Last Aria. I saw Don's response but missed yours. Looks like I have another author to add to my future list. A new book by Rees was just released in July callede A Name in Blood revolves around the death of Caravaggio which was also surrounded by some mystery.