Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 898231 times)

Babi

Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #4560 on: December 19, 2012, 09:37:49 AM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leader:    JoanK   

Oh, you people are just full fun this morning!  For me, peanuts replace potato chips,
 but STEPH, i love that "pretzels might define science fantasy" line.    :D  ::)
 Truthfully, that could define some mysteries, too.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

MaryPage

« Reply #4561 on: December 19, 2012, 11:16:03 AM »
Lisa, as a Southern born, you are going to love Judge Deborah Knott.  Try to read the books in order, as they are really one huge book.

I will be all ears waiting to see how you take to them.  Do, please, report in about them.

Lisa Mc

« Reply #4562 on: December 19, 2012, 12:20:19 PM »
@ JoanK - I'll bet the cozies you've enjoyed (and that I might have read as well) aren't the ones to which I refer.  There are a lot of fun, well-written, light mysteries.  But every year, books are published that won't stand the test of time.   When the plot is thin and totally unbelievable, the dialogue seems forced, or the author seems to be trying too hard to make the writing funny, I wonder who gave the book the green light.  If cozies are potato chips, I've devoured them in many flavors (barbecue is my favorite).
@ MaryPage - I finished "Bootlegger's Daughter" last night.  That's REAL barbecue!   I'm looking forward to "Southern Discomfort"!  Maron writes descriptively and credibly about the South - excellent.
“What she was finding also was how one book led to another, doors kept opening wherever she turned and the days weren't long enough for the reading she wanted to do.”
~Alan Bennett, The Uncommon Reader

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #4563 on: December 19, 2012, 03:07:13 PM »
Maybe bon bons of reading ould be a better analogy, since they're sweet. (You can tell I'm on a diet -- all i can think about is food).

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #4564 on: December 19, 2012, 03:20:18 PM »
Started "Cats Can't Shoot" by Clea Simon.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/clea-simon/

She says she writes "Pet Noir". I guess this is to warn you: most of the mysteries involving pets are cozies, and this isn't -- it's sort of a "hard boiled", I guess.

It reminds me that i don't really know what "noir" is. What do you all think it is? Anything that is serious, not jokey? The cover is confusing, too. I've learned that bright colors mean cozies, dark means "noir". But this is dead white with big black letters.

the jury's still out on whether I like it.

Steph

« Reply #4565 on: December 20, 2012, 06:24:28 AM »
oh me,, Pet noir ( which means black of course, but in books means hard.. not small and sweet).. I copied the name.. As long as no one kills a dog  or cat,I will be fine.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Lisa Mc

« Reply #4566 on: December 20, 2012, 11:44:04 AM »
I agree, Steph.  I see your breed is corgis: I have always been a dachshund companion.   I will wait to see what JoanK reports before I attempt this one.   Interestingly (since I can't seem to let the vintage mystery rest), writers from earlier eras seem less cautious about cruelty to animals.   Do you think this reflects harder times in which people could not afford as much sentiment?  Or has our social conscience simply evolved to include empathy for animals?  Are such elements still present in the more "hard-boiled" writings?
“What she was finding also was how one book led to another, doors kept opening wherever she turned and the days weren't long enough for the reading she wanted to do.”

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #4567 on: December 20, 2012, 06:28:46 PM »
Lisa.  I am a Dachshund lover also. Don't have one at the moment but have owned 5. My friend has Corgi and they are a smart dog also

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #4568 on: December 20, 2012, 06:39:59 PM »
In the end, I was disappointed in "Cats Can't Shoot." An interesting plot twist: a cat is (falsely) accused of accidently shooting her person (don't ask how -- it's complicated. The detective, an animal communicator, wants to clear the cat and find the culprit.

But the action is muddy. Full of gansa types from her past who all sound alike, and some of whom you never really figure out what they're up to. And her animal communication makes no sense. (I'm willing to grant the premise that some people can communicate with animals for the sake of the book, but she isn't consistant in what she can and can't do. The cat can talk to her, but never simply tells her what happened: goes into a snit instead!.)

Steph

« Reply #4569 on: December 21, 2012, 06:18:14 AM »
I found her on my book swap app and ordered her first book in the series. Thought it might be wise to start with the first to see what is happening.
Found a Susan Wittig Albert.. Deadly Nightshade in my TBR pile. I love that series and dislike her other two series.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #4570 on: December 21, 2012, 07:21:55 AM »
Hi Lisa,

I think there's still quite a lot of cruelty to animals in books, but I think the difference is that now it is included deliberately to shock, whereas maybe in the 1930s it was 'normal', just as being what we would now call racist/sexist/snobbish was also considered 'normal.'  If there's any hint of cruelty to animals in a book I'm about to buy/borrow, I put it back - I know it reflects real life, but I can't bring myself to read about it. I've never even read Black Beauty, and even with my favourite read of this year, 'Hound Dog Days', I had to check the end first to make sure that 'Little Man' (the petit griffon basset vendeen who's the star of the story) was still alive and kicking at the end (he is, and it's a great book...)

I have a friend who's trying to find a daschund puppy.  It seems there are very few people breeding them, at least in this part of Scotland.

Rosemary

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #4571 on: December 21, 2012, 08:23:37 PM »
Daschund never seemed to be popular in England when I was growing up. We had all breeds of dogs but not one of them.  I have had 5 here and love them.  Still easy to find. Not very expensive either.
Like you, I can't read about cruelty to animals or watch movies where they die or people being mean to them.  Same with children. If being cruel to or sick. I remember my girls had favourite books they wanted me to read.  Black Beauty being one of them.  Didn't read it.

Lisa Mc

« Reply #4572 on: December 21, 2012, 09:43:24 PM »
I am the same regarding harm to children.  It's actually strange that I enjoy mysteries, because as a rule I abhor violence.  I appreciate  authors who relay meaning without being graphic, but like several of you, I can't even consider certain subjects.

I finished the first Sigrid book by Margaret Maron.  I enjoyed "Bootlegger's Daughter" so much that I thought I'd dip a toe into her first series.  For me, "One Coffee With" exemplifies Stephen King's quote, "Good books don't give up their secrets all at once."  I was quite indifferent to Sigrid and to the book itself for the first few chapters, but the writing is so good that I stuck with it.  Sigrid unfolds with the story, and I definitely want to learn more about her.  I've begun the second installment, "Death of a Butterfly."  I wonder if each of the Sigrid novels is one in which the reader can learn something about a particular field.  I love such books.   Maron has mentioned in both Sigrid books so far that hearing anyone expound on his area of expertise is never boring, so I'm hopeful that this focus continues throughout the series.

Steph

« Reply #4573 on: December 22, 2012, 06:09:21 AM »
When I think of it, Sigrid does learn about various things in each books, but you also learn a lot more about Sigrid. I still like Judge Knott more though.

MaryPage

« Reply #4574 on: December 22, 2012, 09:35:48 AM »
Me too;  that is, I like the Deborah Knott series much more.  I know what it is for me, it is nostalgia.  I grew up in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, and Maron's North Carolina is a lot like that.  In the Shenandoah, people were (and believe me, it is NOT true today, as after World War II hordes of people flocked to my valley!) mostly of Germanic and English extract, whereas in Maron's Carolina they were mostly Scottish and Irish.  Other than that difference, their lives were much the same and mostly dependent upon farming.

In the Knott books, Maron frequently carries out the motive of having us learn about one thing in depth.  In one, I learned a lot about the furniture business and manufacture in High Point.  In another, which was my very favorite, she not only teaches us a lot about potting and the pottery business, but includes a lot of real people and places.

Tomereader1

« Reply #4575 on: December 22, 2012, 11:25:04 AM »
Lisa, I also read "One Coffee With" and enjoyed it very much.  I haven't been able to get any of her other Sigrid books, would like to read in order if possible.  I have the FF list printed out, but no luck so far.  Maybe after the first of the year, I can go and scour HalfPriceBooks,and find another one.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

mabel1015j

« Reply #4576 on: December 22, 2012, 01:41:48 PM »
I frequently use the "library loan" system at our library and always get the books i want. Some library in the system has always had what i wanted.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #4577 on: December 22, 2012, 01:54:11 PM »
"I am the same regarding harm to children.  It's actually strange that I enjoy mysteries, because as a rule I abhor violence."

I agree with both those sentiments. I often wonder why I like mysteries so much. It's partly the puzzle aspect. But also, they appeal to my sense of justice and order. Terrible things hapen in life, but at least there is some justice.

Lisa Mc

« Reply #4578 on: December 22, 2012, 03:56:34 PM »
@ Tomereader1: I purchased the first two Sigrid books for my Nook, but after reading your post, I looked on Amazon Marketplace.  Wow, I can understand why you're having a tough time finding these.  The prices for "Death of a Butterfly" and "Death in Blue Folders" are formidable.  The ebooks are $7.99 each, but the physical books must be out-of-print.   Good luck with tracking them down!

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #4579 on: December 22, 2012, 04:54:46 PM »
I love mysteries where I learn new things. I got a sample of "One Coffee With" for my kindle. Also $7.99.

Steph

« Reply #4580 on: December 23, 2012, 06:44:34 AM »
Oh darn,, my body decided I was being stressed, so boom.. Shingles.
Spent yesterday afternoon at a emergency clinic.. Not that it was that fast, but the pharmacy is supposed to have the meds this morning, so will start them today in the hopes of shortening this siege.. This time, I am for sure when it is over , getting the shingles shot..

Frybabe

« Reply #4581 on: December 23, 2012, 07:22:36 AM »
My sister got a Shingles shot the other week. She said it is a couple hundred dollars (unless I heard her wrong) and insurance doesn't pay for it yet.

MaryPage

« Reply #4582 on: December 23, 2012, 07:48:24 AM »
I paid $250.00 for my Shingles shot about 6 years ago.  I am so glad I got it.  I thought I had heard Medicare was paying for it now (it most definitely was not then!), but I must be wrong.

Try THRIFT BOOKS http://www.thriftbooks.com/siteload.aspx?gclid=cotwprxhslqcfyuz4aodgskaia

I can usually find anything I want there, and they are cheap and extremely reliable.  I love them to bits.

Or  Better Books World http://www.betterworldbooks.com/?utm_source=google&utm_campaign=branded&utm_medium=better_books_world&utm_term=better%20books%20world&utm_content=homepage&TRACKING_ID_K=3f6ba754-0716-6e88-eada-0000325db17e

Frybabe

« Reply #4583 on: December 23, 2012, 08:21:54 AM »
My sister retired early; she is not yet eligible for Medicare. I haven't been interested enough to see if Medicare pays for it or not.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #4584 on: December 23, 2012, 08:43:18 AM »
Oh no Steph - I do hope you feel better soon.

I don't know that you can even get a vaccination against shingles here.  Influenza vaccine is given free of charge to perceived 'at risk' groups - over 60s, asthmatics, those with serious health conditions, and now pregnant women.  The rest of us have to go to private pharmacies and pay for it, and the charge varies from £7 at Asda (Wallmart) to £26+ at private travel clinics.  I paid £12.50 for each of my three children and for myself this year.

Rosemary

Babi

« Reply #4585 on: December 23, 2012, 09:42:34 AM »
 That is exactly what I like about mysteries, JOANK. I like trying to solve the
crime before the end, and I like to see the good guys triumph. But those authors that resort to excessive violence and shock to sell their books are, to me, just covering the weaknesses in their plot.

STEPH, would you believe I have only had shingles once in my life, and that was a
very small patch that didn't really bother me much. If the doctor hadn't identified
it as shingles, I would never have guessed what it was.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #4586 on: December 23, 2012, 01:17:19 PM »
I had shingles once. It wasn't too bad. my daughter identified it at once and got me the medicine. The quicker you start taking it, the better it works, so jump on it, Steph.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #4587 on: December 23, 2012, 01:24:14 PM »
I also had shingles a couple of years ago.   Got to the doctor right away for the medicine and it wasn't too bad, thankfully.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #4588 on: December 23, 2012, 01:39:08 PM »
Steph, so sorry you have shingles.  I hope you get the meds started quickly so it might be a lesser case.  That's what happened with our daughter.

There's been a long discussion on the vaccine over on Seniors&Friends about the cost of the vaccine.  John and I got our vaccinations at Walgreen's last spring - no cost at all (we have Medicare and supplementary insurance from his retirement).  I know they used to cost $200-300.  Other folks were being told the shot would cost around $100.  I don't know why the discrepancy.   ???
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

marjifay

« Reply #4589 on: December 23, 2012, 01:51:01 PM »
I too am so sorry to hear you have shingles, Steph.  My aunt told me how painful it was, which was why I got the vaccine as soon as I heard it was available.  I got it free thru my medicare and was surprised to hear how expensive it was.  Hope you are able to get some help from medication.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

marjifay

« Reply #4590 on: December 23, 2012, 01:54:06 PM »
If anyone is interested in a new (to me) mystery writer I discovered, fast becoming one of my favorite mystery series are the Charles Lenox mysteries written by Charles Finch.

Set in the Victorian era, Lenox is a Member of Parliament, and formerly a private investigator. In A DEATH IN THE SMALL HOURS, he is invited with his wife, their baby daughter, and their governess to visit his uncle's estate in a small English village where scary things have been happening -- rocks thrown thru' shop windows with dire warnings attached. What I like most about this series, along with the mysteries, is that you get so enthralled with Lenox's family and friends, and learn interesting things about that era. Finch, a graduate of Yale and Oxford, is a very good writer.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Lisa Mc

« Reply #4591 on: December 23, 2012, 04:44:51 PM »
Steph, I am so sorry that you are suffering with shingles.  I know it can be activated by stress; unfortunately, the shingles don't eradicate that stress, so you're left dealing with both!  I hope this outbreak is short-lived.

I agree, Babi: the puzzle and its solution are what first attracted me to the mystery genre.  I remember looking for mysteries that focused on a crime or problem other than murder.  I'm not sure why more mysteries don't focus on theft or some other crime or problem; even those that do usually involve murder as well.

The justice attraction is interesting as well.  In most mysteries, the victim is either an unpopular person or is revealed to have undesirable traits; the killer may be another "bad guy" or may be a basically good person who is driven to murder for reasons with which the reader can sympathize.   In others, the victim is a person whom we can like.  I remember one of the first mysteries in which I had gotten to like the person(s) who ended up being murdered: I almost resented the author for "killing" them!

Ultimately, though, law enforcement is the element we want to see prevail.  Seeing justice carried out through the proper channels and not by vigilantes makes me vicariously feel safer.  I especially like to see a cold case solved, a victim whose loved ones can finally work towards closure.

JoanK, if you decide to read "One Coffee With", please let us know what you think of it.  I don't see in past posts that you have read any of the Deborah Knott series, so it will be interesting to get a fresh perspective on Maron as well as Sigrid.  Incidentally, I'm dropping back to read "Bloody Kin" before I read any more Deborah Knott books.  It's Maron's first novel set in North Carolina, a sort of prequel to the Knott series.  No Knotts, but some of the other series characters are evidently introduced here; it features one secondary character from the Sigrid series as well.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #4592 on: December 23, 2012, 05:47:48 PM »
I'm the minority of one who couldn't get into the Knott series -- there was too much family for me. (I don't share the small town, large family background -- I'm from a large city, small family. my parents left the area where they were born, in part to get away from their large families -- too much drama, my mom said).

One advantage, I think I'm one of the few people I know who actually LIKES everyone in my family. What we lack in size, we make up in closeness!

AAnyway, I thought I'd try the Sigrid one. But it's got some books ahead of it.

Tomereader1

« Reply #4593 on: December 23, 2012, 05:56:30 PM »
I got the shingles vaccination when they first started offering it, and at that time Medicare or pvt insurance did not cover the cost which was $150.  I paid gladly, as I had friends who got shingles and suffered big time!  I was not aware, at this time, that there was medication you could take if you got the shingles.  If you had chickenpox as a child, the shingles virus is still in your system.  What is the name of the meds they give for shingles?
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #4594 on: December 23, 2012, 07:26:29 PM »
Now I could be wrong but I checked and was told that Medicare itself does not cover the shingles shot. Now the Medicare D does pay some of it. but I don't have their drug insurance. Also your supplemental drug program will cover about the same as Medicare D does.
I didn't have chicken Pox as far as I know.  Eldest daughter had shingles last year but very mild.

nlhome

« Reply #4595 on: December 23, 2012, 08:32:15 PM »
Yes, Medicare Part D plans can cover shingles vaccine. There will be a copay. The shot here, otherwise, is somewhere between $200 and $300.

I also have not enjoyed the Knott series. I have tried several times but just cannot like that woman and her family.

marjifay

« Reply #4596 on: December 23, 2012, 09:17:28 PM »
Just finished THE RACKETEER, one of John Grisham's  best and one of the best mysteries I've read in a long time!  I wonder how long it took him to think this one up.  Malcom Bannister, a black lawyer, has been in prison for five years for a crime he did not commit and has five more years to go.  But he has an ace up his sleeve.  A federal judge has been murdered, his safe emptied, the FBI has been unable to solve it, and Malcom knows who did it!  He engineers his release under Rule 35 whereby when a prisoner solves a crime that the Feds have an interest in then his sentence can be reduced.  Malcom is released, his sentence commuted, he is given plastic surgery so the killer will not recognize him...But there are a couple of surprising twists to this scheme and you are amazed at what happens.  Great story!

Steph

« Reply #4597 on: December 24, 2012, 05:40:19 AM »

The med for shingles is Prednison and Acyccler?? Five of the second and two of the first for five days.. It should shorten it. The pain is interesting in that it is so deep within your body that it is amazing. Ugh.. of course I cannot find out about the shot until after the  holidays, but I suspect you cannot get it until their siege is over. The stress will remain until I get the house sold, a new one bought and moved. All things I have only done over the years with my husband and now am doing alone.. I have this stupid pride thing and that makes me get bullheaded..But this too will pass. Thanks everyone.. I am off to my older sons today and will return the day after Christmas..I am still waiting for a response to another offer and my counter.

the

Babi

« Reply #4598 on: December 24, 2012, 09:43:42 AM »
 That sounds like the sort of think I enjoy, MARJ.  The name does sound familiar,
but I don't know off-hand whether I've read any of his, or not. The Grisham book
sounds good, too.

I know what you mean, JOANK. My husband was one of 10 children, and there was quite
a bit of infighting among them. I'm sure they all loved each other, but one of the
reasons he moved away from New York to Texas was to avoid getting dragged into the arguments.

Could that be Acyclovir you're thinking of, STEPH?  I think I was given the
Prednisone for my small outbreak.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #4599 on: December 24, 2012, 11:32:46 AM »
Steph, acyclovir is one of the drugs you're taking.  It's a standard medicine for herpes-family infections - and shingles is one of those.  I have a herpes eye infection, and have taken acyclovir daily for a number of years to keep flare-ups away.  When it flares up, it eats away at the cornea. 

There are several different types of herpes, and this kind is NOT related to the genital herpes.  But it is forever - once the virus is in your body, it's always there lurking.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."