Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 898271 times)

Frybabe

Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #4600 on: December 24, 2012, 01:24:06 PM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leader:    JoanK   

Mary, I have a friend who has herpes in her eye. Her depth perception is screwed up because of it.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #4601 on: December 24, 2012, 01:27:03 PM »
Frybabe, fortunately, mine hasn't caused any problems - so far.  The damage that's been done is off to one side, so doesn't affect my field of vision.  We're trying to keep it that way. 
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #4602 on: December 24, 2012, 04:55:43 PM »
Whatever the medicine was, it's prescription. I forgot to mention that my daughter is a doctot. Usually, she won't prescribe for me, but it was a weekend, and she thought it important I get started right away and not wait til I could get my doctor Monday. that's why I said "jump right on it."

I'll have to consider the shingles shot. Right now, I have an awful cold, and all my holiday plans are up in the air.

mabel1015j

« Reply #4603 on: December 25, 2012, 04:58:54 PM »
My 32 yr old DIL has had shingles all week. I never heard of so many people - and young people having it. Fortunately i git my shot last year. I don't know hoe long the vaccine works.

Jean

Babi

« Reply #4604 on: December 26, 2012, 08:59:36 AM »
 Ugh. Did not know that, MARYZ. Well, no use worrying about it. If it hasn't
re-emerged by now, perhaps it never will.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Steph

« Reply #4605 on: December 26, 2012, 11:35:18 AM »
Yes, I am going to get the shingles vaccine, when this bout clears up.. I am tired of that deep fire pain.. Boo.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

marjifay

« Reply #4606 on: December 26, 2012, 11:58:30 AM »
I'm in the middle of Jo Nesbo's THE SNOWMAN.  First book I've read by Nesbo, and I'm having a hard time putting it down.   But I did the other night, and dreamed a nightmare which I don't often do.
I wouldn't recommend it if you only like cozy mystereries.
But if you like to be scared...read it.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Tomereader1

« Reply #4607 on: December 26, 2012, 12:12:21 PM »
My Mystery Book Club read "The Snowman" for one of our recent selections.  My best friend, who is a member with me, said it was the scariest book she'd ever read.  It was scary, didn't give me nightmares.  I'm afraid I had the "bad guy" picked long before I ever got to the end. Didn't inhibit my enjoyment of the book (if one can say you "enjoyed" a frightful mystery).  I'm not fond of "cozies" so this one was right up my alley!
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #4608 on: December 26, 2012, 03:02:06 PM »
I finished "A Coffee with.." last night, and got the next one for my kindle. I liked it, although I thought the ending a bit weak. And I can see the "ugly duckling" turning into a swan in the later books.

I could really identify with Sigrid, having had to make my way as often the only woman in a man's field.

MaryPage

« Reply #4609 on: December 26, 2012, 06:13:32 PM »
I was told the Shingles shot will do for my lifetime.  I was about 78 when I got it.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #4610 on: December 26, 2012, 06:23:48 PM »
Now can a person have Shingles more than one time? Even if the first time was really Bad or Mild?

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #4611 on: December 26, 2012, 06:58:31 PM »
I don't know, Jeanne - better check webMD or Mayo or JohnsHopkins web site for information.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #4612 on: December 26, 2012, 07:03:57 PM »
Jeanne....I've known people who have said they've had shingles repeatedly.  I got the vaccine as soon as it was available to the public and gladly paid for it.  My husband's uncle suffered terribly with shingles on his face and in his eye.

The gov website    www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov    says recurs rarely, but, as I said, many would disagree.

Jane

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #4613 on: December 26, 2012, 09:36:45 PM »
My daughter had a slight case last year. Just a few small places. I wondered if she should get the shot.  I never had the Small Pox so don't think I will bother. Isn't it Stress that is suppose to bring those on?

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #4614 on: December 26, 2012, 10:00:39 PM »
Jeanne, it's not small pox, it's chicken pox that is the virus that can lead to shingles. 

Steph

« Reply #4615 on: December 27, 2012, 06:34:11 AM »
This is my fourth time with Shingles, so yes you can get it. Stress brings it out on me.. but never the horror type.. My longest bout was a month when I was inEgypt and could not get the drugs to hold it to a dull roar.That was horrid..
I liked Sigrid, but I suspect she was sort of a starter character for Maron.. Judge Knott is a full blown person, you would love to meet.

MaryPage

« Reply #4616 on: December 27, 2012, 06:56:01 AM »
Yes, it is chicken pox in childhood that they believe causes Shingles later in life.  And yes, I have known several people who have suffered Shingles more than once.  It is dreadfully agonizing, and I advise everyone who ever had chicken pox to get the Shingles shot. 

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #4617 on: December 27, 2012, 12:40:08 PM »
Mary. You are right. Why did I type Small Pox.? That is a little more serious I believe.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #4618 on: December 27, 2012, 04:51:56 PM »
Abandoned the mystery I was reading: "betrayal of Trust" by Susan Hill. The plot seems to involve taking advantage of seniors who are too sick to manage. A little too close to the bone.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #4619 on: December 27, 2012, 04:57:31 PM »
Joan.

Without starting it, I just know I would dump it also. Hate books like that.

mabel1015j

« Reply #4620 on: December 27, 2012, 11:54:35 PM »
I read a good J. D. Robb, Divided in Death. She had early in that series gotten very gruesome, but she must have had negative response to those because she's moved away from that somewhat. "Divided" was published in 2004, about halfway through the series. It was quite good. I still think Nora Roberts has a factory of writers, there's no way she can write all those books. But, i enjoy them, except for the vampires and romance series, so i don't care who writes them.

I also read the "N" book of Sue Grafton. I have only read about 4 of hers. Her descriptions of every hair on the head  ;) drives me nuts and i skim everything that's not plot related. This was a good story - after all the skimming.

I was reading Follet's Jackdaw before Christmas, about the woman in the French resistence during WWII. But it got too tense, so i put it down. My life has calmed down, so maybe i'll go back to it now.

Jean

rosemarykaye

« Reply #4621 on: December 28, 2012, 02:20:51 AM »
Joan, I haven't read that Susan Hill book but I really don't like her work.  She is hugely celebrated here as a 'literary' writer.  She wrote something called 'Howard's End is on the Landing', an account of a year she spent only reading books in her house (ie not buying any new ones, borrowing, etc) which I thought was going to be good, but there was so much name-dropping of Famous People who are my Best Friends that it just annoyed me.  Of course she has written many, many books so I'm sure some of them are good!  'In the Springtime of the Year' was recommended to me and is on my TBR pile, but goodness only knows when I'll get up to it.

Rosemary

Steph

« Reply #4622 on: December 28, 2012, 06:33:52 AM »
I recently picked up V is for Vendetta, but it is simply in my TBR pile.. I need to be in the mood for Kinsey.
Reading The Drop by
Connolly... He is good, but he makes Harry have too many enemies.

Babi

« Reply #4623 on: December 28, 2012, 10:07:39 AM »
 I gave up really scary books along about my second or third Stephen King. Too
real! 
  Oh, good!  Some books I can leave off my list instead of more to put on.  ;D

"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #4624 on: December 28, 2012, 03:37:39 PM »
I tried another Susan Hill mystery, with the same themes. think I'll give up on her.

Steph

« Reply #4625 on: December 29, 2012, 05:52:13 AM »
Picked up V for Vendetta and made it my bed book. An odd starter for Kinsey for sure.. Not being a poker player, I really struggled with the prologue.

MaryPage

« Reply #4626 on: January 02, 2013, 03:28:17 PM »
I am just finishing the last pages of Camilla Lackberg's THE STONECUTTER, and boy oh boy, is it ever good.  She is a top notch writer.  Warning:  there are some really evil people inhabiting these pages, and the worst ones are female.

She has written 7 books in her Fjallbacka series, and I have previously read Book One, THE ICE PRINCESS, and Book Two, THE PREACHER and Book Four, THE GALLOWS BIRD.  This book I am reading now is Book Three, so I have had to read them out of sequence, and this has been due to availability.  The next 3 have not as yet been translated for American readers.

She is really, truly good.  Dark, but so very good.

Steph

« Reply #4627 on: January 03, 2013, 06:41:10 AM »
Dark... maybe, I will put her on my maybe list..I  have picked up a Susan Isaacs book.. Somehow I missed this one. I used to love her.

salan

« Reply #4628 on: January 03, 2013, 06:23:10 PM »
I just finished a light Christmas read...The Christmas Journey by Anne Perry.  It was a quick read and held my interest.  I like most of Anne Perry's books.
Sally

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #4629 on: January 03, 2013, 09:23:59 PM »
I'm in the middle of an Anne Perry now "the Sunless Sea", about England and the opium trade. Very interesting.

I like Susan Isaacs, too, although I always want to tell her characters to eat better: they seem to survive on pizza and ice cream.

Mary: would you suggest starting with The Ice Princess, or going right to The Stonecutter?

Steph

« Reply #4630 on: January 04, 2013, 06:19:55 AM »
I am struggling with the V is for Vendetta.. It is totally different than any of her other books and very very disjointed by chapter. Weird..

mabel1015j

« Reply #4631 on: January 04, 2013, 11:38:26 AM »
Has anyone read any Paul Levine, especially the Lassiter series? I read something about them yesterday and thought i'd give him a try. Our libray has just 3 of his mysteries.

Jean

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #4632 on: January 04, 2013, 02:11:16 PM »
I started "The sunless Sea" by Perry.  Had to take it back to library but will get it again later.  I have just ordered way to many books and they all seem to be coming in, even though I was a long way down on the list.  Not read as many books in the past 2 months.  Will maybe catch up over the winter.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #4633 on: January 04, 2013, 03:51:50 PM »
I haven't read Paul Levine. Here he is on FF

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/l/paul-levine/

There are 12 authors listed named Levine. I think I've read Laura Levine -- is she the one with a cat named Prozac.

mabel1015j

« Reply #4634 on: January 04, 2013, 06:29:03 PM »
I gt Paul Levine's Deep Blue Alibi at the library, not a "Lassiter", but a "Solomon vs Lord" book, two different series. Both Dave Berry and Carl Hiaasen had good quotes for it, supposed to be humorous. Thanks Joan for reminding me to take a look at FF. i'll let you know. I think i'll ck out Laura Levine also.

Jean

mabel1015j

« Reply #4635 on: January 04, 2013, 11:02:46 PM »
Maryz, i know your and John like Jms Patterson's books, are all of them murder/mysteries? I know about the Alex Cross series and the Women's Murder Club series, but i don't know about others. I just finished Roses are Red, a Cross book w/ a very strange ending.

Jean

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #4636 on: January 04, 2013, 11:21:37 PM »
Jean, it's not us who have talked about Patterson.  I think we've read some, but not any time recently.  Sorry I can't help you.  Somebody will chime in.

Steph

« Reply #4637 on: January 05, 2013, 06:23:39 AM »
I read some of the Early Alex Cross series. Then he turned himself into a writing factory and I gave him up. So no help from me.. Still struggling with V is for Vengence.. Jumps around too much.. Not much Sharon at all.

MaryPage

« Reply #4638 on: January 05, 2013, 09:47:21 AM »
If you are going to read Camilla Lackberg, the Swedish writer who is all the rage world wide now, do start at the beginning with THE ICE PRINCESS, because her books in this particular series do tend to be all one book.  For instance, THE STONECUTTER ends with Erica Falck, who is wife to Patrick Hedstrom, who is the policeman in Fjallbacka who solves all of the crimes, getting a phone call with news that signals the beginning of the next book and one of the crimes that will be in that next story.  Fjallbacka is a REAL town in Sweden, and Lackberg was born and raised there.

Babi

« Reply #4639 on: January 05, 2013, 10:03:00 AM »
 Paul Levine, Camilla Lackberg.   Duly noted; thank you kindly. I'll look for them.