Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 897542 times)

Steph

Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #5720 on: September 16, 2013, 08:46:41 AM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leader:    JoanK   

==========================================================

I love Dana and have read all of the Liam and Kate, plus her three sci fi.. Do not likethe sort of spy one she did however.. Just not interesting to me.
Yes, the fantasy is a bit Harry, a bit darker...and has an interesting premise. Liked the first one very much.. Will look for the others.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5721 on: September 16, 2013, 05:35:29 PM »
The pre-discussion for our October book is now up: Persuasion by Jane Austen.

Come join in here: http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=3997.0

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5722 on: September 16, 2013, 05:40:39 PM »
Those of you, like me, who are both mystery fans and Jane Austen fans must know the several mystery series based on Austen. Especially Stephanie Barron's books. There's another series with Elizabeth and Darcy from Pride and Prejudice as the detectives (no, not P.D. James "Death Comes to Pemberley"-- another one). 

MaryPage

« Reply #5723 on: September 17, 2013, 08:47:53 AM »
I have bought them all:  the mysteries and the continuing stories of various Austen heroines.  They are in special stacks on one of my bookcase shelves (no longer room IN the shelves!), but I confess to not having read a single one of them as yet.  I think, years back, I read a book called JANE FAIRFAX, and did not much care for it.  Not like Austen at all, in my mind.  So I buy them and stack them and plan to get to know them "one day," because Austen remains my darling favorite and I crave to possess everything having to do with her.
I adore Persuasion and own DVDs and videos of all of the films made.  But I cringe in discussions of books I love, as I find various incoming points of view to be like ruinous hurricanes storming down the pathways of my precious imaginings.

Steph

« Reply #5724 on: September 17, 2013, 11:06:32 AM »
I like some of her stuff, but did not like the current mystery stuff about her at all.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #5725 on: September 19, 2013, 11:41:59 AM »
Well, good for Valerie Plame, the CIA agent outed by Scooter Libby back in the days of an earlier administration.  She has written a spy novel about an agent dealing with Iran and nuclear proliferation.  Apparently a big media rollout coming in about two weeks.

Valerie Plame novel

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5726 on: September 19, 2013, 12:53:08 PM »
That should be interesting!

Frybabe

« Reply #5727 on: September 19, 2013, 01:39:17 PM »
Finished Artifacts by Mary Anne Evans (not George Eliot). It is the first of a series featuring an archaeologist named Fay Longchamps. In this first novel, she had to quit college before completing her degree due to family illness. She lives on a low-lying island just off the Florida panhandle in an old mansion she inherited. She is doing some archaeological field work for her former mentor, augmenting her low pay by "pot-hunting" and selling on the black market items she finds. She is necessarily secretive in her efforts to keep the tax assessor at bay and in where she finds her artifacts (some of them illegally dug) in order to keep and restore her old family home. Of course there are several murders (some old, some new and all connected) to solve without bringing attention to herself or her friends who may otherwise be implicated.

I was surprised to find that this is not a new series. She has written eight so far. I'll have to check see if the library has any of the others. Ms. Evans is a chemical engineer with an added degree of Engineering Physics. She has a cat that helps her write, so automatically I like her.

Steph

« Reply #5728 on: September 20, 2013, 09:13:22 AM »
Ohmy,another writer I have never heard of that sounds interesting. Ah, the list grows and grows and grows

Tomereader1

« Reply #5729 on: September 20, 2013, 12:37:26 PM »
For the fans of mystery writer, Jo Nesbo, I can now give you the definitive answer to how one pronounces the name of the main character, Harry Hole.  It is pronounced "Hari Hula".

Also, did someone here in the Mystery Corner mention a series of novels by Kelly Underwood, featuring Phryne?  I understand there is a TV series now.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5730 on: September 20, 2013, 03:48:07 PM »
TOME: It's Kerry Greenwood

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/g/kerry-greenwood/

Don't know Nesbo yet. But I'm glad it's Hula, not Hole.

I love the Evans books. Dripping with atmosphere. An unbelievable but sexy male sidekick. Good mysteries. And info on things I know nothing about.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5731 on: September 20, 2013, 03:53:23 PM »
I looked up Mary Ann Evans on Fantastic Fiction, and got George Eliot. It seems MAE was Eliot's real name. (I'll bet there are more little jokes hidden in our Evans' books that I don't get.

Here is the modern one.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/e/mary-anna-evans/

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5732 on: September 20, 2013, 03:55:35 PM »
Speaking of Hula and Hole, I'm reading a book now about spelling (no, I'm not just a mystery reader), trying to explain why English spelling is so crazy.

Tomereader1

« Reply #5733 on: September 20, 2013, 05:30:41 PM »
Yeah, JoanK, I found out my error on the Phyrne author when I tried to search it on my library's site.  Also, unless you are in Australia, the video clips on ABC1 are not available.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

MaryPage

« Reply #5734 on: September 20, 2013, 06:37:00 PM »
Maryland Public Television (MPT) is showing another Phryne Fisher murder mystery set in Australia tonight:  Murder On The Ballarat Train.  Fun!  I love her SO much!

http://www.phrynefisher.com/

And I love Jo Nesbo and own all but 3 of his books, and those three have not been translated as yet!

http://www.goodreads.com/series/51155-harry-hole

Steph

« Reply #5735 on: September 21, 2013, 08:48:35 AM »
I am so far behind in these authors, but not that crazy about Nesbo. May grow on me.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #5736 on: September 22, 2013, 12:24:34 PM »
Just got"The Cuckoos Calling" by Robert Galbraith (pseudonym for J.K. Rowling).  It is touted as a classic mystery.  It will have to be good to keep me interested for 455 pages!

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #5737 on: September 22, 2013, 01:24:31 PM »
FlaJean, I'm reading it now, and finding it good reading.  I've gotten it as an e-book, so didn't know about the size (although that's not an issue with me in reading a book).  So far, it's a good story and very readable.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5738 on: September 22, 2013, 03:08:06 PM »
I've heard mixed reviews in the other discussions.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #5739 on: September 22, 2013, 05:07:57 PM »
Now I read one of her book a month or so ago.  Shocked me as she wrote the F... word on every page.  Can't think of the name of it now. Will have to check.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #5740 on: September 22, 2013, 05:16:44 PM »
Just put my name down for the Cuckoos Calling. That is not the one I read.  I am Number 74 on the waiting list.  No LP at this time.  Maybe have it by the time gets to me.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5741 on: September 22, 2013, 06:18:31 PM »
The complaints are the f- words and characters that are unlikable. Since I worked for the army, I got used to f-words (although I don't like them! And often they're a substitute for rational thought!) But I want at least one character I can relate to.

I'm reading "The Stonecutter." I normally don't read books where children get murdered -- too close to the bone for me. But I like the series, and thought I'd give it a try. I see it's depressing me though. I may not finish it.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #5742 on: September 22, 2013, 09:56:33 PM »
That F...word was not used anywhere like it is today.  Now a every day word. Kids use it that way. Don't think they realize how awful it sounds. Maybe it will wear itself out. Not read a book lately where it was not used. Even a movie. Next will be TV.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #5743 on: September 22, 2013, 09:59:30 PM »
Why do I have this award show on when I have books to read. So boring. I havn't seen most of what they are awarding.
Not heard any awards going to Dalton Abbey. Surprising. But I suppose not many in Hollywood watch Masterpiece theatre. Not seen any awards going to it.

Steph

« Reply #5744 on: September 23, 2013, 09:08:56 AM »
The f word. Something I have never written or said out loud in my life. I have heard children of 12 or so use it however. Always stops me dead in my tracks.

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #5745 on: September 23, 2013, 09:13:37 AM »
With many people, teens to thirty-somethings, it's just another word in their everyday language.  It seems to be similar to the word "like" that some seem to have imprinted into their speech pattern and they are unable to say two words without including "like" and the F bomb.

mabel1015j

« Reply #5746 on: September 23, 2013, 10:35:46 AM »
I'm reading an unusual - for me - Lisa Scottoline book. It's not the women's law firm group. It's still set in Philly, but the protagonist is a woman pediatrician and story centers on the death of her ex and her dealing with ex-stepdgts and a present fiance who is NOT happy with her being involved with the dgts. One dgt is sure her father was murdered, but the cops said no. So, of course, the pediatrician starts to investigate.

Its a good story, but there are some strange mishaps in the writing which i never noticed in Scottoline's writing before. She writes a behavior that is out of sequence - like she turns on the ignition of the car and then in the next paragraph she's entering the car w/ a key. I swear there are no editors anymore. She has the character, while doing her investigation, doing things that anyone w/ any common sense would not do - constantly talking on her phone while driving, ( a pediatrician !?!?!), touching items where she would leave fingerprints when she doesn't want it known that she's been there, etc. every tv viewer these days knows you never touch anything at a crime scene. Lisa was an attorney  and she knows better.

Jean

Tomereader1

« Reply #5747 on: September 23, 2013, 11:54:22 AM »
I did get to watch the Phyrne Fisher mystery the other night.  Rather a cozy with some gunplay, but the costumes she wears from that period are wonderful!

André Maurois

marjifay

« Reply #5748 on: September 23, 2013, 12:37:02 PM »
I read my first book by Karin Slaughter, UNSEEN.  Tossed it after 4 chapters.  Gruesome, violent. Unbelievable characters, especially the female detective who was horrible.  No character I could care what happened to them.  No more Karin Slaughter!

I did read a good mystery, A TAP ON THE WINDOW by Linwood Barclay.  Altho' it needed editing (almost 500 pp), it kept me turning pages.  A man, Cal Weaver, is stopped at night in his car at a stop sign in a pouring rain.  A young girl taps on his window and begs for a ride home.  Cal is hesitant, but she recognizes him and says she knew his son (who had recently committed suicide while under the influence of drugs).  Cal decides to give her a ride.  She asks to be let out for a minute at a restaurant because she feels ill.  When she returns to the car, he realizes it is not the same girl who left. Then things get more interesting.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #5749 on: September 23, 2013, 12:39:26 PM »
Jean:  I swear there are no editors anymore

Isn't that the truth!! And there are, apparently, no proofreaders/critique partners, even another literate person reading the finished manuscript.  Some of the errors I see from "published" authors stupify me.  Their manuscripts wouldn't pass muster with a 9th grade English class.  If they don't have proofreaders, etc. available, hire a local English teacher to read the manuscript before it's "published" and out there for sale.

jane

MaryPage

« Reply #5750 on: September 23, 2013, 01:39:13 PM »
Tomereader, I'm atellin' you, and everyone I can collar, that Phryne Fisher is worth watching JUST for the clothes!
Heaven!

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5751 on: September 23, 2013, 04:37:18 PM »
Everyone loves the Phryne Fisher show, and my PBS isn't showing it. Rats!

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5752 on: September 23, 2013, 04:42:09 PM »
Jean: which Scottoline is it?

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/lisa-scottoline/

"A Tap on the Window" sounds great!

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5753 on: September 23, 2013, 04:45:13 PM »
"Tap" was $10.99 on kindle, but they had another of his (her?) books on special for $2.99. So I got a sample of that instead.

Steph

« Reply #5754 on: September 24, 2013, 10:25:48 AM »
Yes, which Scottoline. I thought I had read them all.

mabel1015j

« Reply #5755 on: September 24, 2013, 11:07:12 AM »
"Come Home." I finished it last night and it ended with various twists and turns, well done.

Steph

« Reply #5756 on: September 25, 2013, 08:29:51 AM »
Will make a note on that. I am actually reading a John Grisham.. The Racketeer. Seems to have no point whatsoever.... What a weird book.. Will finish, but it is a stupid book.. At least I got it used. and paperback.

marjifay

« Reply #5757 on: September 26, 2013, 10:13:27 AM »
Gosh, Steph, I Read Grisham's The Rackateer last year and thought it was one of the best mysteries I'd read in a long time.  

About a lawyer, Malcom Bannister, who has been in prison for five years and has five more to go.  But he has an ace up his sleeve.  A federal judge has been murdered, his safe emptied, the FBI have been unable to solve it, and Malcom knows who did it!  He engineers his release under Rule 35 (is there really such a rule?) whereby when a prisoner solves a crime that the Feds have an interest in, the prisoner is then eligible for release and commutation of his crime.  But there are a couple of neat twists to this scheme and you are amazed at what happens.  IMO, a great story!

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #5758 on: September 26, 2013, 12:12:53 PM »
I'm continuing with The Cuckoo's Calling by Galbraith (Jk Rowling) but it's slow going because Netflix keeps getting in the way.  ;)  The old Inspector Morris detective series is being streamed on Netflix so I've been enjoying them.  Detective Lewis looks so young!  However, Rowling's story is a good one.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #5759 on: September 26, 2013, 05:09:55 PM »
I should have said Inspector Morse.  I had a senior moment :)