Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 897560 times)

JoanK

• BooksDL
Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #5840 on: October 17, 2013, 03:27:29 PM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leader:    JoanK    

==========================================================
I read "Sense of Snow" decades ago, and liked it. Time for a reread, maybe.

Another one dimly remembered: "Ice Station Zebra"

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #5841 on: October 17, 2013, 05:10:09 PM »
My copy was titled Smilla's Sense of Snow too--a much snappier title.  I liked it, though I did have a few quibbles.  I'm good at quibbles.

Steph

« Reply #5842 on: October 18, 2013, 10:08:35 AM »
still more things wrong with the air conditioner.. I am so tired of being hot and sweaty and unhappy.. it is also my 55 wedding anniversary.. I miss him so..
Stephanie and assorted corgi

MaryPage

« Reply #5843 on: October 18, 2013, 11:39:38 AM »
Oh gawd, Steph;  I know, I know.
I am so sorry.
And I am sorry about the a/c, too.  I cannot bear breathing in the hot, humid air and being all sweaty.  Feeling for you, deed I am!

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5844 on: October 18, 2013, 04:27:10 PM »
Anniversarys are tough. I just passed my 58th, 8th one alone.

Steph

« Reply #5845 on: October 19, 2013, 11:02:20 AM »
I try really hard to do what the counselors recommend and remember all the fun and love we shared, but sometimes it is so  very hard. I just want to see him one more time..hear his voice, feel his touch.. Sorry..I will shut up now.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #5846 on: October 19, 2013, 12:47:51 PM »
Oh, Steph, I still feel the same thing sometimes after 11 years.  It gets a lot better, but it never stops completely.  Don't ever feel you have to shut up; we're all willing ears.

MaryPage

« Reply #5847 on: October 19, 2013, 06:34:01 PM »
I will second that, every word Pat said.
For me, it will be 8 years in January, and I believe I have finally become certain he is not going to be on the line when I pick up the ringing phone or on the doorstep when I answer the chiming doorbell.
He used to email me that he loved me.  From his recliner in our living room to my computer in our den, he would shoot off these adorable little love notes.  I printed out a lot, and now, as my eyes drink those sentiments greedily into my soul, I regret not thinking to print out and save every one, no matter how insignificant.
Sigh!  Life is so very full of regrets.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #5848 on: October 19, 2013, 07:32:46 PM »
One regret we don't have: we know we married the right guy.

Steph

« Reply #5849 on: October 20, 2013, 09:18:22 AM »
Yes, I know for sure that I married the one man who made me happy. Talking to many other widows, it is surprising how many women didnt..

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5850 on: October 20, 2013, 07:54:19 PM »
Yes, we are the lucky ones.

I'm reading the latest Joanna Fluke mystery "Red Velvet Cupcake Murder." So far (first 100+ pages), I'm disappointed -- it's all recipes and almost no story. It was a poor choice to take to bed last night: I got soooooo hungry.

(Actually, checking ff I see it's the next-to-last Fluke. My library is always behind!)

Steph

« Reply #5851 on: October 21, 2013, 09:04:30 AM »
I am not that fond of the Fluke mysteries.. A bit more cooking recipes than I want in a mystery.. I am reading a Rita Mae Brown  Fox type mystery.. Fox hunting and Sister Jane.. Always fun,, not serious but fun.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #5852 on: October 21, 2013, 10:06:14 AM »
I'm reading the final book in the Miss Zukas series by Jo Dereske.  I've really enjoyed these books about the prim Miss Zukas, Librarian---cozy and fun.  I believe Dereske is writing a "Ruby Crane" series now, but I haven't read any yet.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5853 on: October 21, 2013, 04:23:07 PM »
I haven't read a Miss Zukas book for a long time. Thanks for reminding me.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5854 on: October 21, 2013, 04:26:35 PM »
Oh, no. The last one is called "Farewell Miss Zukas"

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/d/jo-dereske/

But there seem to be a whole bunch I haven't read yet. I think I would have remembered the raven's wing, birder that I am.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5855 on: October 21, 2013, 04:35:00 PM »
With my terrible memory for names, I just realized that two series that I like are written by the same person, Amanda Flower.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/f/amanda-flower/

The India Hayes series is funny: a librarian with hippie parents who are always protesting something. I'd swear I've read more than two books.

The Applewood Creek series is more serious: an "Englischer" who becomes involved with the Amish community. Both are in Ohio.

I haven't read the new series yet.

Steph

« Reply #5856 on: October 22, 2013, 08:40:36 AM »
Now that is an author that sounds like my kind of author. Will check her out on my swap club.

mabel1015j

« Reply #5857 on: October 25, 2013, 05:59:56 PM »
I had read the first of Fern Michael's "Sisterhood series" and thought the concept had great possibilities - a group of women who had not, or knew someone who had not, gotten justice for a crime committed against them, who seek out their own justice. One of them, the oldest one,  is married to a retired MI5 agent who has many contacts and many skills at gathering information needed to exact "justice."

I got another one at the library and was soooo disappointed. The writing didn't flow. It was several books along in the series and she threw in many names without explaining who they were - the book did not stand alone. She had non-sequential behaviors of the characters. I did keep reading bcs i wanted so badly for this to be a good series, but it was awful to the end!

Jean

Steph

« Reply #5858 on: October 26, 2013, 08:57:16 AM »
Ihave read the Sisterhoo series, at least some of them and yes, they go all over the charts. No idea why.She had a good idea, but she expanded the characters until she has a small army..

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5859 on: October 26, 2013, 05:29:37 PM »
That's the problem with many series. If you start reading in the middle, forget it. Even if not, after so many books, the author has to spend so much time updating each character's activities, there's no room for plot.

MaryPage

« Reply #5860 on: October 26, 2013, 07:57:39 PM »
I had so much fun tonight.  Chip took me downtown (on a Saturday night in Annapolis, which, like New York City, is a place that never sleeps!), and the crowds were huge and I saw sidewalk artistes playing with hoops and violins and guitars and singing groups and about the whole brigade of Midshipmen from the Naval Academy and just plain Annapolis out on a Saturday night.  The restaurants were all doing a huge business.  We went over to Maryland Avenue to the Annapolis Book Store, which is about 2 blocks from Gate 3 of the Academy and the Navy Chapel with its real gold tower.
And I bought 2 copies of:  "ANNAPOLIS:  Murder At High Tide" by James Schneider and had a great talk with him and got him to sign one to my granddaughter Maria and one to my granddaughter Paige.  Maria grew up here in Annapolis and went to school here and now owns her own home here.  She started out in her law practice here, but then moved to Crofton because her clients had such terrible parking problems.  Paige lives in Baltimore and grew up on the Eastern Shore, but she has known Annapolis all of her life.
I intend to give Maria her copy for Christmas and give Paige hers just as soon as I get around to reading it.
Schneider, who has lived here all of HIS life, is about to move to Cape Coral, Florida.  He says he has 4 more books planned with the same lead character and set here in Annapolis.  He sold real estate here for years.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #5861 on: October 26, 2013, 09:13:18 PM »
I just started "The Sauvignon Secret" by Ellen Crosby.  The cover says it is a Wine Country Mystery and the back cover comments on two others--"The Reisling Retribution" and "The Viognier Vendetta".  There are three or four more listed inside the first pages.  We'll see!  So far, I find it an easy read but mysterious!

Oh, MaryZ, your are a brave woman!  Cold weather is no longer my friend.We used to ski and play with kids in the snow and I loved going out to walk in the colder weather but no more.

Like, JoanK, I would be wearing my sweats with a bulky sweater just reading  the book on Anarctica, even in southern California.
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

nlhome

« Reply #5862 on: October 26, 2013, 09:58:22 PM »
MaryPage, what fun.

Steph

« Reply #5863 on: October 27, 2013, 11:37:31 AM »
MaryPage,, glad you had fun. We always felt that way about Cambridge when we spent 10 years outside of Boston . So much happening. Will look for the author. Coming from the Eastern shore,, llove anything from that area.

mabel1015j

« Reply #5864 on: October 27, 2013, 01:06:31 PM »
Sounds like the perfect delightful evening MaryPage.

Frybabe

« Reply #5865 on: October 27, 2013, 02:00:41 PM »
MaryPage, I checked on the book. It and another I can get on my Kindle. Question: Any chance that the cover art on Murder at High Tide is his own? I noticed a bio that said he also paints (acrylics).

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5866 on: October 27, 2013, 03:30:11 PM »
Sent a sample to my kindle. What fun , Mary.

Annie: are you in Southern California too, or was that a reference to me?

MaryPage

« Reply #5867 on: October 27, 2013, 04:12:35 PM »
I do not know about the cover art.  We did not discuss that and he never mentioned being artistic.  He is Gay, so he is very likely artistic in ways besides the writing.
He did say this to me: "I won an award for my first book and another one for my second.  With this third one, I have FIRED MY EDITOR because she did such a lousy job.  I am afraid you will think I am a terrible writer when you read it."
I guess there was just too much money put into the publishing to make the needed changes.
And I explained that I had not read his other books and was only there at the signing because I had read a piece about him in THE CAPITAL in which it mentioned the new book SET IN Annapolis and full of Annapolis places and told about the signing.  I look forward eventually to getting into the book and having fun with the various places.  He also puts a lot of his friends and their actual names in the book.
OK, I have the book here in front of me.  Good picture of the Annapolis skyline from Annapolis Harbour.
I find nothing inside the book that attributes it.  Photo?  Painting?  I have NO idea!  Sorry!

Tomereader1

« Reply #5868 on: October 27, 2013, 04:45:44 PM »
I discovered (thru what, I don't know) a new mystery author:  Jussi Adler-Olsen.  He is Danish, and there are lots of Danish names and places.  First in a series is "The Keeper of Lost Causes" and it was a doozy!  Loved it, and have requested the other two from my library.

If you try to pull it off the shelf at your library, look under "A".  I started with Olsen, and came up empty.  They shelved it under Adler.  I guess I don't give the proper credit to the Hyphen!
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Steph

« Reply #5869 on: October 28, 2013, 08:57:52 AM »
I am finishing a John Sandford, that is a takeoff on the old Bonnie and Clyde motif..Not Lucas, but Virgil.

marjifay

« Reply #5870 on: October 28, 2013, 09:30:09 AM »
I love your quote, Tomereader!

Agree with you about Jussi Adler-Olsen's Keeper of Lost Causes.  A terrific mystery/thriller.  Loved his wry sense of humor.  I have his A Conspiracy of Faith on my TBR list.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5871 on: October 28, 2013, 05:36:37 PM »
I've had a sample of "Keeper of Lost causes" on my kindle forever. It's kind of a last-in-first-out queue --- if other suggestions come in too fast, it gets forgotten.

I went to recharge my kindle this morning, and my plug is missing! My son recharged it last, and he's not here. I looked everywhere. I'm in a complete tizzy, like a drug addict who fears their source will be taken away. I didn't realize how much I depended on that kindle. I've only had it a few years, and lived happily without it. Sob.

Tomereader1

« Reply #5872 on: October 28, 2013, 06:01:02 PM »
I'm glad you have it on your Kindle, but to me, it seems it would be better to actually have the book in hand.   The story goes back and forth from 2002 to 2007, and on my Kindle, I hate trying to "go back" and reread something to clarify what's happenin'

Sorry about your charger plug.  Call him and ask him where he put it.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5873 on: October 28, 2013, 06:04:17 PM »
Believe me, I am.

I agree about trying to go back and forth on the kindle! Sometimes "search" helps, but it's not like flipping book pages.

I'm reading "Daughters of Gentlemen" by Linda Stratmann (fortunately a library book). Like Molly Murphy but in England, a woman is trying to set herself up as a private detective and is hired to find out who is sneaking suffragette pamphlets into an exclusive boarding school. So far, it's good.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/linda-stratmann/

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #5874 on: October 28, 2013, 10:49:02 PM »
No,JoanK, I don't live in southern CA but wish that I did. :( :(   I'm the one who lived in Torrance for 4 years back in the '80's.  I believe you live in Torrance now, right?  You lucky lady!  Perfect weather all year round.  Well, almost!  :)   

I finished the mystery "Sauvignon Secret" by Ellen Crosby.  She has several more out about the wine growing country in Virginia.  Good mystery.  I intend to reserve another at my library.

"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

Steph

« Reply #5875 on: October 29, 2013, 08:56:46 AM »
I found James Swain original book titled Grift Sense  and am reading it. I had read several of his ( always about gambling) and never found the first one.. Bu walked into a thrift store and boom.. there it was.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5876 on: October 29, 2013, 03:39:48 PM »
Of course, Annie. I remember now. yes, I am lucky.

My son fixed my kindle problem in one second flat. Made me feel silly for fussing so. And I got a pleasant surprise. I love to pre-order new  books. The new Scottelini (one day I'll learn to spell her name!) is waiting for me, and I forgot I ordered it.

Steph

« Reply #5877 on: October 30, 2013, 09:12:54 AM »
Grift sense gives you a totally differeent feeling about Las Vegas.. and gambling.

marjifay

« Reply #5878 on: October 30, 2013, 11:14:17 AM »
I've never read anything by James Swain, Steph.  My library had his SUCKER BET, so I put it on my TBR list.

Some time ago I read a good nonfiction book by Ben Mezrich, Bringing Down the House; Six MIT Students Who Took Vegas for Millions.  (257 pp, 2002)

Marge
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5879 on: October 30, 2013, 04:42:06 PM »
Finished "Daughters of gentlemen" and have to qualify my recommendation. I like the premise, but the plot seemed unnecessarily complicated and confusing.

But I'll try another of Stratmann's.