Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 897747 times)

mabel1015j

Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #6480 on: June 03, 2014, 10:21:12 PM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leader:    JoanK   

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, i've read Lisa Lutz. Thanks for reminding me. I must get some more of hers.

Steph

« Reply #6481 on: June 04, 2014, 09:05:15 AM »
Lisa Lutz is fascinating and hard to find.. Libraries don't seem to like her.. should look in the Kindle..Hmm.. Only 200 pages left to go on the Elizabeth George.. Then I am officially done with her. At this point, Barbara needs to be unemployed and
Tommy is not far behind. How sad.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

mrssherlock

« Reply #6482 on: June 04, 2014, 12:46:53 PM »
Elizabeth Ironside is  not an easy read.  A Death in the Garden has more than one plot line going and Ii am less than 25% into it.  But she does have word skills galore:  0n page 52, Fanny herself had only erratic employment ...in a bookshop.  "How can that be? ...She doesn't know how to read"...When she was not failing to find books for customers
I don't know why but that sentence has charmed me.  Someone who can think that way, and more importantly put the thought into words, is worth my time no matter how confusing the plot or cast of characters.  Maybe Ironside would be easier to read if I weren't also reading I Infinity Beach, I Always Loved You, and The Enquiry a Blackwoods Farm.  To quote Ado Annie, I cain't say no.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

marjifay

« Reply #6483 on: June 05, 2014, 02:04:04 AM »
Has anyone read UNDER THE SKIN by Michael Faber (311 pp, 2000)?  It has been made into a recent motion picture, and I wanted to read it before seeing the movie.  It's a very strange, but fascinating novel.  About a woman who drives the roads of the Scottish Highlands looking for large muscular man who are hitchhiking.  She picks them up and engages them in conversation to see if they meet with her criteria.   In the beginning the author gradually lets out hints about the woman and why she is doing this.  Not a book for everyone, especially those who find Stephen King scary.  But once you start reading, you will find it hard to stop until you reach the end.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Steph

« Reply #6484 on: June 05, 2014, 08:58:45 AM »
Sounds like a horror story and I am not into horror any more. Finished the Elizabeth George. Last book by her. She needs an editor.. That whole mess was ridiculous.
Needed a romp , so picked up the latest J.D. Robb.. this one is close to a horror story with too much detail on a serial killer enjoying his work way too much. Darn darn darn.. need a cozy.. must go and find one.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #6485 on: June 05, 2014, 03:55:53 PM »
Who is the author of the wonderful series about a detective in henry the Eighth's time? We're reading about it in The Story of Civilization, and I want to recommend the books. They give such a good picture of the time -- un-glamorized, smells and all.

MaryPage

« Reply #6486 on: June 05, 2014, 05:14:37 PM »
C.J. SANSOM?

Steph

« Reply #6487 on: June 06, 2014, 08:34:02 AM »
New name for me. Love books on that era.

mabel1015j

« Reply #6488 on: June 06, 2014, 04:40:45 PM »
I'm reading my second Nikki Heat mystery (Richard Castle author) and enjoying it very much. I like Nikki Heat better than some of the other policewomen protagonists. He paints her as very skilled as a cop, in fact, i think you could read her professional life just as you would read a male detective. No fancy clothes, unwearable shoes or worrying about gaining weight, etc.  Yet in her relationship w/ Rook and in her friendship w/ the ME she's very womenly.

In moments of danger or fear he writes her as being fearful, even close to panic, but then she "puts on her (mental) armor" and becomes objective and analytical, no silliness re: Stephenie Plum ( even though i like those stories also), no statement of glamour re: Beckett in the Castle tv series, or high heels like the ME in the Rizzolli and Isles series. She just seems more real than any of those characters.

Jean

Jean

Dana

• ::
« Reply #6489 on: June 07, 2014, 12:22:39 PM »
Have just finished a rather good detective story...The Princess of Burundi by Kjell Eriksson.  A best seller in Sweden, Germany etc and available in my library with several others of his,....good!! I've been finding most novels pretty ho hum recently.  The characters are really believable (and likeable for a change) and they actually think about life and stuff like real human beings.  Plot and denouement  nothing to shout about, but that is secondary really.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #6490 on: June 07, 2014, 01:19:28 PM »
Just finished Albert's latest China Bayles mystery "Death Comes Quickly".   It was an interesting story without some of the dire escapes that were portrayed in previous books.  I like China, and it's nice to read a book with the protagonist portrayed as decent and intelligent.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #6491 on: June 07, 2014, 04:36:14 PM »
C J Sansom! That's the one. Thanks, Mary Page.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/c-j-sansom/

A lawyer/detective in the time of Henry VIII. The books are long, but I find them engrossing, with an ordinary person's view of the times. Without trying to tell us what the historical characters were thinking, as so many historical novels do.

Steph

« Reply #6492 on: June 08, 2014, 03:31:12 PM »
Reading a real live mystery... The story of Whitey Bulger. He has always intrigued me since when I llived in Ma.His brother was a huge political deal.. I found it amazijng  that the same family produced a brilliant politician and a crook who killed with no consequences.

mrssherlock

« Reply #6493 on: June 09, 2014, 10:18:16 AM »
Finished Death in the Garden, Elizabeth Ironside.  Will be eager to read more by her.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Steph

« Reply #6494 on: June 10, 2014, 08:36:46 AM »
Finished the Bulger book..All true and horrifying.The FBI has a lot to answer for.. Their agents in Boston simply had no sense whatsoever.

mrssherlock

« Reply #6495 on: June 15, 2014, 04:57:35 PM »
Attention Alan Furst fans:  He has published a new novel, Midnight in Europe.  Another of his spy in pre-war Europe.  He's another of my must-read authors, those I don't need reviews to entice me.
Jackie

Steph

« Reply #6496 on: June 16, 2014, 09:00:39 AM »
Just finshed a cozy about a tattoo artist in Vegas.. Fun, but not much plot

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #6497 on: June 17, 2014, 12:45:16 PM »
Steph, I really hate when the author leaves out the plot!   :D :D

I finished Ironside's "A Good Death" and don't think I will be seeking her out for any more.  Strange book!   ::)
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #6498 on: June 17, 2014, 03:34:58 PM »
Steph: is it worth knowing the name/author of the book?

I'm out of library books, so am reading from the Complete Mary Roberts Rinehart I got for pennies on kindle. "The Man in Lower Ten". Wasn't there a movie of that?

marjifay

« Reply #6499 on: June 17, 2014, 09:39:41 PM »
I have yet to read a Mary Roberts Rineheart book that I liked, including The Man in Lower Ten, which I rated 2/5.   Sorry, but I just can't endure her writing.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Steph

« Reply #6500 on: June 18, 2014, 09:20:27 AM »
Ado Annie and I loved the book and the author. Strange what affects different people. The Tattoo book: Pretty in Ink by Karen E. Olson.. She has written several books in this series along with several other cozies.

marjifay

« Reply #6501 on: June 19, 2014, 01:33:46 AM »
I just fiiished a very good book by Stephen King -- MR. MERCEDES.   This time he has written a detective story, with a very likeable retired detective, along with some other very interesting characters.  Not a mystery exactly, as you know who the killer is.  Whether the detective will figure out who the killer is and where he will strike again before the killer gets the detective provides much suspense.   I am becomming a big fan of King.

Marj

Steph

« Reply #6502 on: June 19, 2014, 09:19:00 AM »
on Stephen King.. no creepy crawlies and everyone die?? I might try him again then.

MaryPage

« Reply #6503 on: June 19, 2014, 10:22:02 AM »
Stephen King is actually an excellent writer and a fabulous storyteller.  Me, I just do not care to go where his thoughts take him.  Give me fairly peaceful and pastoral or, at least, good beats evil and right wins the battle against wrong.  Give me happily ever after.  Color me coward;  I really could care less, as long as my emotions are not in a state of high turmoil.

salan

« Reply #6504 on: June 19, 2014, 11:43:23 AM »
Stephen King takes my imagination to places I do not want to be.  I couldn't read him when my husband was alive; and I especially don't want to read him now that I live alone.  Why is it that being scared is much harder when you are alone?
Sally

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #6505 on: June 19, 2014, 01:05:36 PM »
Marjifay. I'd like to read that. Is there gratuitous violence as there is in Under the Dome? (I am referring specifically to the Angela chapter which I thought was particularly senseless and horrific, I had nightmares for some time afterwards). If so I am going to pass, if not, I would like to try it.

marjifay

« Reply #6506 on: June 19, 2014, 02:33:56 PM »
I don't think there is gratuitous violence, but then the violence in Under the Dome didn't bother me.  Mr. Mercedes starts out with some violence performed by the rather weird young killer.  I think King did that so that you would be afraid of what worse thing/s he might do next.  But King does not write "cozy" type stuff, so if it bothers you, read something else.  I thought the book was very good -- it kept me turning pages.  

He's a good writer.  One sentence I can't remember exactly, went something like:  She hurried away, clicking her high heels in a Morse code message of anger and disgust.

By the way, in Under the Dome, I thought King's explanation for how the dome came to cover the town was interesting and imaginative.  I don't remember the Angela chapter you mentioned, but he tells realistically what would happen if a huge invisible dome were to actually rapidly descend.  It would obviously do some damage to property and to people who  happened to be in the way and did not see it coming.  

Marj

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #6507 on: June 19, 2014, 03:27:55 PM »
Thank you. :) I don't read cozies? And I've read alll of Stephen King till he got to torture, (and that's a lot of books), then I had to leave him off. Some wonderful books. He writes to exorcise his own demons. (Or so he says. Cheaper than psychoanalysis, he says.)

The Angela chapter involved a man coming to the door and the woman who was home alone  and who knew him had some misgivings, saying to herself she had seen that look on his face  before but even so, (and here of course the reader is solidly in her shoes),  she opened the door in a friendly manner and...well, she shouldn't have. With no provocation whatsoever except her teeth, he...well.

My husband was out of town at the time and the thing haunted me, you can't stop reading it and I literally (he's so REAL) kept playing the scenario over and over in my mind.  I would not have opened the door to anybody during that time. hahahaa  Can't take that type of stuff any more. The book  just came yesterday, I think I'll return Mr. Mercedes. I hate to miss one of his good ones, but I've read so many of his which were just outstanding, I can always reread them.

I appreciate your frank assessment of it. Thank you.

marjifay

« Reply #6508 on: June 19, 2014, 06:53:41 PM »
Per Ginny, "I don't read cozies?" 

Glad to hear it, LOL.  Most cozies bore me to death. 

I've just started a new Richard Jury mystery, VERTIGO 42, by Martha Grimes and it has me chuckling.  (I like a little humor in my mysteries.)  Good so far -- will give a short review when I finish.

Good for you -- never open your door to strangers.  I have a decorative, but sturdy locked security screen door.  I hate those films where someone opens their front door to see who is there and finds it is a robber or worse.  Just heard the other day where an older women in Beverly Hills did that and two men walked in and did a home invasion robbery, beating up her and her husband.  (Now, that's scary!)

Marj

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #6509 on: June 19, 2014, 07:59:59 PM »
Marj: I hate to tell you but the Martha Grimes books are considered cozies. What do you think of as the ones you can't stand: the ones with silly young women narrators who worry about what brand of shoes they're wearing?

marjifay

« Reply #6510 on: June 20, 2014, 01:31:19 AM »
I didn't know Grimes' books were considered cozies.  I wouldn't have considered them in that category because Richard Jury is not an amateur detective, as are most of the cozy "detectives" I've read (I admit there were very few)  Then I would have to say I've liked Grimes' "cozies"  I love her character Melrose Plant and his dipsy aunt Agatha.

The last cozy I read was Crouching Buzzard, Leaping Loon by Donna Andrews.  No more by her.  Other than her,  I didn't care for Susan Wittig Albert, M. C. Beaton (Agatha Raisin), Lillian Jackson Braun (cat mysteries),  Julia Spencer-Fleming and Louise Penny (She's probably not considered a writer of cozies, but her books are boring IMO).

My favorites are more thrillers, I guess, than just mysteries, i.e. David Baldacci, Lawrence Block, James Lee Burke, Lee Child, Robert Crais, Michael Connelly, etc., etc.

Marj  

MaryPage

« Reply #6511 on: June 20, 2014, 08:28:10 AM »
Marjifay, some of the best "not cosies" I've ever read were by Michael Dibdin, Michael Gruber, and Jo Nesbo;  and I have some Lars Kepler on hand to try.  I am most particularly fond of Michael Dibdin.  The BBC made films of several of his books, and I enjoyed them on PBS.  As is always the case, the books were richer, deeper and more satisfying than the films, although those were good, also.  Aurelio Zen is the detective, and Rufus Sewell played the part in the "Zen" series.  I had read the books and was both astonished and delighted when the series was made.

Steph

« Reply #6512 on: June 20, 2014, 09:16:11 AM »
I like all types of mysteries, but no horror.. The closest I come to horror would be John Sandford and I don't think of him that way, but some of the books have had horrific scenes. James Lee Burke can have some tense moments as well, but I love him and hate his buddy.. There are cozies ( sort of) that have no point, no plot and a female who is.. into some sort of hobby or job that is besides the point. Some of them go on and on about clothing or makeup or knitting.. or even cooking.. There are a few good writers working in the cooking line for mysteries though. I like Susan Wittig Albert herb books, but not the others and Donna Andrewss makes me laugh.. So I guess I am mostly omnivorous.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #6513 on: June 20, 2014, 10:43:47 AM »
I try to avoid cozies, but I don't like a lot of violence either.   Margaret Maron, a big favorite, some Neveda Barr -- loved the one about Fort Jefferson and another about a northern park and wolves.  Setting is fairly important to me.  The Sue Henry books that feature the musher in Alaska.  Dona Leon's titles set in Venice.

Can't always remember the author's name, I know where to find out if I take the time.  Who wrote the Homer Kelly books?  I always liked them, until Mary Kelly committed adultery.  Isn't it interesting how quickly one can turn away from an author who does something you don't like.  Elizabeth George is another -- haven't read any since she killed Helen.

MaryPage

« Reply #6514 on: June 20, 2014, 11:45:07 AM »
I hold a deep and abiding grudge because she killed Helen.

marjifay

« Reply #6515 on: June 20, 2014, 11:55:17 AM »
Thanks for your recommendations of authors, Mary Page.  I've not read any except Jo Nesbo.  Will try them.

A couple I'd recommend that you might like:  

Charles Lenox mysteries by Charles Finch.  I know Steph also likes these.  Very good writing; love the setting in Victorian England.

Jussi Adler-Olsen (Danish author).  Loved his first book, KEEPER OF LOST CAUSES.   Good writing.  Wry humor.

James Sallis.  LONG LEGGED FLY and MOTH.  Set in New Orleans, with a very literate detective. Good writing, great atmosphere.  Keep meaning to read more of his books.

marjifay

« Reply #6516 on: June 20, 2014, 12:11:48 PM »
I also like Martha Grimes' Emma Graham mysteries, about a very precocious and curious young girl.

Another reason I didn't consider Grimes' books to be cozies is that they are recommended in the Rara_Avis reading group whose members read and recommend rather dark noir mysteries.

Marj

MaryPage

« Reply #6517 on: June 20, 2014, 07:25:12 PM »
I read Finch and love him;  Steph told me about him and I went right to Thriftbooks and bought every book he has written so far.  Grimes I have read for years and years.  I must say that I think of both as authors of cosies, but have a deep allowance within me for different perceptions in different folks.  I mean, basically, what difference does it make?  You either like a certain book or author, or you don't.  It is as simple as that.

I had not heard of Adler-Olsen or Sallis, and have written down their names.  Thank you!

I think you will love, love, love Michael Dibdin.  He is dead now, and quite a loss.  His detective, Zen, is Italian and works in Italy.  Gruber, well, my oldest son, Rob, introduced me to him.  He is a bit heavy.  Dark.  But very, very real for the part of the world he writes of:  Miami.  I only warmed up to him gradually.  He is still alive and still writing.  I just bought his latest.  As far as the ability to really write is concerned, he is top notch.  Just hard to take.

Steph

« Reply #6518 on: June 21, 2014, 09:55:57 AM »
l have not read Adler or Sallis, but will look for them.. Sound interesting.. Cozies. I think of them as not much plot, a female heroine who owns something like a tea shop or cooking classes or personal shopper, etc. I use them to not think if I am stressed. I am with most of you on Elizabeth George. I hate she killed Helen, that she made it trivial and that she then is plunging him into the stupidest relationships on earth. Bah.. No more George and I am not sure that I wll go back and finish, the latest Louise Penney. What a shame,  I liked her so much at the beginning.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #6519 on: June 22, 2014, 04:35:58 PM »
Isn't it great how much our tastes vary. I like light to medium dark (have you noticed the covers of the books are color coded: the darker the color of the cover, the darker the book). The buyer for our library must have changed: lately, all the new books have black or dark gray covers. I like some depth, but don't want the book to make me feel down.

as to Grimes, I guess you could call any book with a policeman or woman as the detective a police procedural. but Grimes' emphasis has never been on procedure. Her early books were more psychological, but as she got more into funny highjinks of her continuing characters they are definitely cosies.