Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 881808 times)

Babi

Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #920 on: June 08, 2010, 08:32:46 AM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leaders:    BillH and JoanK   

I remember some books set in New Orleans that I liked, but durned if I
can remember the name of the author.  Too bad I don't have a mental
'notepad' for notes and reference.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Steph

« Reply #921 on: June 09, 2010, 05:42:28 AM »
Amazing how many people write about New Orleans.. Nora Roberts wrote at least two that I can think of.. Julie Smith writes about it..David Fulmer...Barbara Hambly has a small series about a man of color ( free) that is interesting.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

salan

« Reply #922 on: June 09, 2010, 07:02:26 AM »
My late husband used to read books by James Lee Burke set in New Orleans with Dave Robicheaux (sp).  Is that the series you are looking for?
Sally

Babi

« Reply #923 on: June 09, 2010, 08:24:43 AM »
 That's it, SALLY!  James Lee Burke..
    I can understand why so many books are set in New Orleans.  It is one of our
more exotic cities, with a long and fascinating history.  San Francisco is another, also popular
with authors. 
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Steph

« Reply #924 on: June 10, 2010, 05:48:49 AM »
I love James Lee Burke, although he is really violent.. But his books are about Louisiana much more than New Orleans.. Excellent writer.. So is his Daughter incidently. I have read all of hers as well.

Babi

« Reply #925 on: June 10, 2010, 10:43:00 AM »
 What's the name of James Burke's daughter?  What does she write?

Tomereader1

« Reply #926 on: June 10, 2010, 11:09:54 AM »
Alafair Burke, and she writes "mysteries".
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Golden State Poppy

• Connie
« Reply #927 on: June 10, 2010, 12:47:25 PM »
It appears that my last post didn't get here.  I wrote about David Fulmer.  "Blue Door" was set in philadelphia and "Rampart Street" is set in New Orleans.  I have never been to either city so don't know how accurate the descriptions are.  They are both set in a specific time (but different)  period and certainly are accurate about the time.

Frybabe

« Reply #928 on: June 10, 2010, 02:37:24 PM »
I've just finished Henning Mankell's The White Lioness. Half or more than half of this novel is set in South Africa while Wallander remains in Sweden. The novel is about an attempt to assassinate Nelson Mandela. Wallander comes into the picture when he and his colleagues try to solve the murder of  a woman who took a wrong turn and accidentally came upon the assassin's training ground.

The text seems a little less "choppy" than usual. Better translation maybe? However, there are still plenty of "and then things happened very fast" type phrases in the book. I found it hard to put down.

Mankell spends a lot of time in Maputo,Mozambique where he is director of Teatro Avenida.   http://www.henningmankell.com/Theatre/Teatro_Avenida

Steph

« Reply #929 on: June 11, 2010, 05:50:13 AM »
 I have been hearing more and more about Mankell.. Think I will try one.. Any suggestions on where to start.

Frybabe

« Reply #930 on: June 11, 2010, 08:09:47 AM »
Steph, Faceless Killers was his first Wallander. There is a little bit of a progression in the series, but I didn't find that a problem when I started somewhere in the middle. His second, The Dogs of Riga, is where he meets a woman he obsesses over in subsequent books finally becomes involved with later. The White Lioness, his third, is excellent IMO.

PBS ran Sidetracked, One Step Behind, and Firewall last year. These are his fourth, fifth and seventh in the series. They are the ones which acquainted most of us with the series. It looks like they are going to schedule more in the fall or winter.

Babi

« Reply #931 on: June 11, 2010, 08:58:45 AM »
Alafair, huh?  Interesting name. Thanks, TOMEREADER.

I wonder if I've read 'Rampart Street', CONNIE. The name sounds familiar, but of course it would. That's a well known street. I like good historical fiction.  Are the Fulmer books mysteries or novels?

mrssherlock

« Reply #932 on: June 11, 2010, 01:16:51 PM »
The God of the Hive, Laurie R King's latest in the Sherlock Holmes/Mary Russell saga, kept me awake most of the night.  It continues the story of Damien Adler and his daughter, Estelle, object of the evil Reverend Brothers, the girl's mother's ex-husband.  Once again King's prose is concise and enlightening, maintaining the suspense though it dealls with weighty issues like the empire, loyalty, WWI.  Initiallym I was reluctant to read these books since the premise seemed silly but King carries it off with panache and I am an avid convert.  I find that re-reading these stories only enhances my enjoyment of them.  My sister is collecting the audio versions as she likes to play them over and over.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #933 on: June 11, 2010, 01:23:18 PM »
If Laurie King's books were mentioned here before I've forgotten. Thanks very much for bringing attention to her latest book, mrssherlock. Quite apt for your name :-)

It looks like THE GOD OF THE HIVE is her 10th book in the Mary Russell series! http://www.laurierking.com/

It sound intriguing. It looks like my public library has at least some of them. I think it would be probably best to read them in order. Do you think so?

mrssherlock

« Reply #934 on: June 11, 2010, 03:18:03 PM »
Marcie:  it is essential since each book has connections to preceding one(s).  I hope you find them as delightful as I have.  Her non-series novels are also worth reading and re-reading, esp. Folly which is about a 60+ woman and her ever-changing life.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #935 on: June 11, 2010, 08:55:21 PM »
thanks, mrssherlock. I'll put The Beekeeper's Apprentice, the first Mary Russell book, on my to read list.

Steph

« Reply #936 on: June 12, 2010, 06:05:32 AM »
I second on Laurie King. I do love her books, both the series and the stand alone. I reread
Folly every once in a while. She gives such courage to an older woman with a crippling panic problem. Amazing..

mrssherlock

« Reply #937 on: June 12, 2010, 12:06:38 PM »
I tried to postpone the ending but had to see howThe God of the Hive turned out.  Then, what to read after that?  Picked up Beryl Markham's bio West With the Night and was immediately transported to the East Africa farm where she grew up.  Sleep followed.
Jackie

marjifay

« Reply #938 on: June 12, 2010, 11:20:59 PM »
The only James Lee Burke I've read was CRUSADER'S CROSS which was very good.  Only problem, as I recall, was I needed a dictionary of southern slang.  A lot of the slang went right over my head.

My favorite author who writes mysteries set in New Orleans is James Salis.  His Lew Griffin series (LONG LEGGED FLY , MOTH, et al.) are interesting, intelligent, literate books.  Griffin is an ex-PI in New Orleans, who is now a novelist and literature professor, and gets involved in solving some mysteries. Best to read the series in order or you might have trouble understanding the later ones.  I have been to New Orleans and loved it, and I loved Sallis' dark, atmospheric New Orleans.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Steph

« Reply #939 on: June 13, 2010, 05:37:07 AM »
New Orleans is and always has been a favorite city of mine. The lovely hotels in the quarter, the food(ahh, the food), street cars,, walking, the cemetaries.. Oh a jewel of a city.. Many authors write on it and they are all different.

mrssherlock

« Reply #940 on: June 13, 2010, 09:49:38 PM »
My Salem newspaper is touting a new book by a local author which has a first run by the publisher of 100.000 copies which sounds like a lot to me.  Story sounds good with lots of local-Salem -color.  http://www.statesmanjournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=20106130312

And here is what is supposed to be a satire about widows:  http://www.amazon.com/Bag-Lady-War-Carol-SeCoy/dp/0595449867
Jackie

Steph

« Reply #941 on: June 14, 2010, 05:37:35 AM »
Bag Lady war???? Hmm. I am reading the Spellman and Bookmarks at the same time.. The Spellman is as always funny and strange at the same time. Bookmarks has a note from Ginny in it about the move from seniornet to seniorlearn..

mabel1015j

« Reply #942 on: June 14, 2010, 01:10:08 PM »
I slogged my way thru my second Margaret Maron book Shooting at Loons. I didn't enjoy it as much as the first one - i'm not keen on fisher's rights/stories, plus it seemed a little slow, the story never grabbed me. But, i will read another one just because i like the character Deborah Knott and it sounded like there may be a relationship in the works........i've started a Joanna Fluke/Hannah Swenson mystery, The Chocolate Chip Cookie Mystery. It's another woman-owns-cute-little shop (this time it's a bakery)-in-a-small-town story. Just started it, but it's o.k. so far. ................... jean

Frybabe

« Reply #943 on: June 14, 2010, 05:34:37 PM »
I just picked up another interesting book at the Dollar Store. It is Victory Square by Olen Steinhauer. Unfortunately, appears to be the last of a five book series. Now I will have to get the other four.  ;D

The setting is Eastern Europe. The series follows the police career of Emil Brod from rookie to police chief before the communist block collapsed. It is written in the first person. If the rest of the book is as good as the first paragraph, it should be a page turner.

Steinhauer:  http://www.olensteinhauer.com/bio.html

Upcoming movie info on his book The Tourist which is part of another series:  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1243957/

Steph

« Reply #944 on: June 15, 2010, 05:55:35 AM »
I can only read
the cookie lady books once a year or so.. Just a bit too too sweet. I think she may have started as a romance writer.
The Spellman book is still hard to categorize.. Not really a mystery, but all of the characters are private investigators.. Fun.. Makes me laugh.. Although Rae needs someone to lock her in a room for a year or so.

Babi

« Reply #945 on: June 15, 2010, 08:31:37 AM »
 I have to agree that "Shooting at Loons" had a lot more information about the fishing industry that I really wanted to know. I did appreciate gaining a better understanding of the issues involved between local fishermen, tourist, and environmentalists/conservationists, but it went a tad too far. I still liked the characters and the story.

Let me know if the 'page-turner' holds up, FRYBABE. Steinhauer is a new name for me...and I have a hard time finding all the books in a series.

Steph

« Reply #946 on: June 16, 2010, 05:57:21 AM »
Maron teaches you something about North Carolina in each book. One of the things I enjoy the most ..

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #947 on: June 16, 2010, 04:15:39 PM »
Just finished the first Margaret Maron book with Deborah Knott. Not being a Southerner, I had to get used to the slow pace, and hearing the history of every person (and building) that entered the story even in the most minor way. That is part of the atmosphere, though. I'll definately read more.

gkcfan

« Reply #948 on: June 16, 2010, 09:45:28 PM »
Hi, everyone, I'm back! Just found out from Bookmarks magazine where Mystery Corner moved to. It was obvious that SeniorNet had gone defunct, but I never received any message telling me where the book discussions had gone. Mrssherlock and all the rest of you, good to see you again! I agree with all of you who enjoyed The Language of Bees and The God of the Hive. I loved Robert Goodman! Currently reading Thrillers: 100 Must Reads, in which writers such as Jeffery Deaver, Katherine Neville, James Rollins, M.J. Rose, David Baldacci, Lee Child, and many more tell us what their favorite thrillers are.

mrssherlock

« Reply #949 on: June 16, 2010, 11:06:16 PM »
The reviews for The Poacher's Son were good and it's true, this is a very good book  Set in the Maine woods, a young Game Warden learns that his father (the poacher of the title) is nowhere to be found and is suspected of committing a double homicide.  Though the have bee mostly estranged, the son knows hid father as a bar brawler, drunk, poacher, ladies' man but not a cold-blooded killer.  As the hunt for his father heats up he becomes obsessed with saving his father; his job, his marriage, everything he's made of his life is in jeopardy.  http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/d/paul-doiron/poacher-s-son.htm
Jackie

Steph

« Reply #950 on: June 17, 2010, 05:57:15 AM »
Just starting another mystery by Shirley Tallman.She writes of a female attorney back in the victorian era in San Francisco.. I do like them, but she seems to not have much national coverage. I found her on my bookswap club.. She signs each book when she sends it out, which is nice.

Babi

« Reply #951 on: June 17, 2010, 08:53:32 AM »
  Glad you found us, GKC. The old SeniorNet book discussions didn't go
anywhere for a good while, until Ginny re-surrected them for us. She had kept up her Latin classes, and decided to open her site for all of us
mourning bookies who were abandoned by SeniorNet. Welcome!

Was there ever such a thing as a female attorney in the Victorian era?
If there was, she must have had a very hard time obtaining clients.  How is that working out, STEPH, and is it at all plausible?

I'm reading Jeffrey Cohen's "Some Like It Hot Buttered", which someone
here recommended a while back.  Finally got my hands on it, and it actually
had me laughing out loud.  I'm enjoying it so much.

joegreyfan

« Reply #952 on: June 17, 2010, 09:31:00 AM »
Yesterday I posted as "gkcfan," then realized that was a name I used in a different discussion group I was in. The name I used before on SeniorNet was "joegreyfan," so I've re-registered using that name. (Joe Grey is the crime-solving cat in Shirley Rousseau Murphy's series, which I adore.)

The July/August issue of Bookmarks magazine (where I found Mystery Corner's new location), which I received yesterday, has a feature article titled "Great Mystery and Crime Writing, Vol. 3," covering neo-noir, historical mysteries, and writers under 40.

mrssherlock

« Reply #953 on: June 17, 2010, 12:08:19 PM »
Welcome, Joegreyfan!  I'm one too, a fan, that is, of Joe and all his clan.  Glad you found us.  Maybe more of our "lost sheep" will find their way here.  I, too, stumbled upon this site when I tried to start a group of former SN Bookies at Literary Thing and someone told me about Seniors & Friends where I learned that this is the site is for book discussions.
Jackie

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #954 on: June 17, 2010, 03:19:41 PM »
WELCOME BACK JOEGREYFAN! How sad that some people lost Seniornet. But you found us, again. What are you reading?

I'm reading a Donna Leon that I bought some time ago and lost track of before I read it -- "Blood from a Stone". Good, as usual. But I'm constantly annoyed by the character of Paola, who is suppsed to be a University professor, but has time to make three course gourmet meals twice a day (for lunch AND dinner) every day. In this book, Brunelli has to eat one lunch at a restaurant, because she's busy, and feels abused and neglected.

But I have just met the perfect clone of Brunelli's boss, Patta -- the big frog in the little pond, who looks down on everyone, bosses everyone around, insists that it be done his/her way (in my case her) and is completely ignorant and stupid. I'm taking lessons from Brunelli in how to handle her.

serenesheila

« Reply #955 on: June 17, 2010, 06:15:30 PM »
STEPH, thanks for your teccomendation of Shirley Tallman.  I checked her out in the Kindle Book Store.  They only have four available.  So, I ordered "The Russian Hill Murders", published inj 2005.  The other three that they carry have more recent publication dates.

Do you remember when this series began?  I would really like to begin a series with the first book published.  Thanks!

Sheila

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #956 on: June 17, 2010, 09:20:11 PM »
joegrayfan...Am I correct that you no longer want the gkcfan  username?  Is it ok to delete that then from our username listing?

We're delighted you've found us!

jane

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #957 on: June 17, 2010, 09:39:44 PM »
Hi, joegreyfan, and welcome back.  If I remember correctly, you used to go slumming in the sci-fi disscussion occasionally. If so, we're still here,

http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=81.720

and you can come in and tell us what you're reading.

Steph

« Reply #958 on: June 18, 2010, 05:54:08 AM »
Yes, I believe the Russian Hill Murders was the first book. I am reading the third one now.. Cliff House.. Starting out with a bang. A seance, which I always think is fun.
This is a woman with a steel determination and it is fascinating. I have no idea when women lawyers started, but this one actually worked for a law firm originally. I think it was family money that helped. But I know that the first book told you how it all started.

Babi

« Reply #959 on: June 18, 2010, 08:51:39 AM »
  So now you've got me curious about women lawyers and the Victorian era. So, naturally, I'll
have to go do some research.   I do enjoy digging out information.