Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 899422 times)

nlhome

Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #840 on: May 17, 2010, 10:10:47 PM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leaders:    BillH and JoanK   

Jackie, I thought it was just me having difficulty reading Dana Stabenow's A Night too Dark. I've been trying to get involved in it, just not holding my interest. I do like the author, so I'll pick the book back up some day.

N

Steph

« Reply #841 on: May 18, 2010, 06:08:57 AM »
Stone Barrington is just flat out boring. I couldnt even get through the first one of his and neither did Tim
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Babi

« Reply #842 on: May 18, 2010, 08:00:48 AM »
  See, sometimes we can take authors off our lists.   :P
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

mrssherlock

« Reply #843 on: May 18, 2010, 10:27:35 AM »
Stabenow's A Night Too Dark had one surprise: near the end of the book Chopper Jim, the Alaska State Policeman/pilot BF, gets a full paragraph to describe his current book-of-choice, Codex Alera, Jim Butcher's thrilling fantasy series some of us are reading over in the SF discussion.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Babi

« Reply #844 on: May 19, 2010, 08:33:12 AM »
  I read Codex Alera, waiting impatiently for each new book in the series to come out.  Enjoyed
every one of them.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #845 on: May 22, 2010, 02:25:24 PM »
The (seemingly) endless process of buying a condo finally ended yesterday, when I got the key. I'll be so tied up with moving for the next days, don't know how often I'll be able to come in. And I may be without computer access for a few days.

I have managed to save out a few books from the packing boxes, for those "hurry up and wait" periods. I'm rereading old Rumpole of the Bailey books by John Mortimer. If you can stand the sexism (sometimes I can and sometimes I can't) they're a lot of fun.

Babi

« Reply #846 on: May 23, 2010, 08:34:46 AM »
 Sounds like you're approaching the move with the right idea, JOAN.
Prepared for the waiting times, at least.  I hope all goes smoothly with
your movers; that can make a big difference.  Enjoy your new home!

Steph

« Reply #847 on: May 23, 2010, 09:50:57 AM »

Ah Joan, I envy that you have decided and know what you want. I have looked off and on down closer to my sons, but my townhouse is so pretty compared to most of what is available.. I live on a lovely lake.. and of course this is the last place MDH was.. Hard to force myself to move.. I will probably wait until this fall or winter.. Just too hard right now.
I love Stabenow and she has also written science fiction. I actually think she may have written that first.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #848 on: May 23, 2010, 12:53:46 PM »
JoanK, moving into a new place sounds exciting in spite of being hard work.  I've read several of the Rumpole books and loved watching that program when it was on A&E a some years ago.  Leo McKern was made for that part, I think.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #849 on: May 24, 2010, 12:02:49 AM »
I loved the PBS Rumpole series. You're right, FlaJean, that Leo McKern WAS Rumpole.

Julia McKenzie is currently playing Miss Marple in a new PBS series. We're discussing it at http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=1300.40

Steph

« Reply #850 on: May 24, 2010, 05:48:16 AM »
Just finished "Left over Dead" by Jimmie Ruth Evans.. Actually when I check the copyright.. it is written by a man, but has a female protagonists.   They call the series, The Trailer Park mysteries and they are sort of fun..  Light reading.

Babi

« Reply #851 on: May 24, 2010, 08:13:16 AM »
 I'm reading the Barbara Cleverley book, "The Palace Tiger".  Another
light read.  The most interesting thing about it is the background...1922 India in one of the Raj states. Nothing really new, tho'.

Frybabe

« Reply #852 on: May 24, 2010, 08:35:48 AM »
I've just started The White Lioness[/], another of Henning Mankell's Wallander series. It looks like we will be treated to more Wallander on PBS sometime in the fall.

Steph

« Reply #853 on: May 25, 2010, 06:00:26 AM »
Started a new book last night.. It is by Harley Jean Kozak.. I thought the name was familiar. She is an  actress.. and the book thus far isnt bad.. Interesting combination.

mabel1015j

« Reply #854 on: May 26, 2010, 02:37:22 PM »
I'm not sure if it was here, or on seniors and friends, but somebody mentioned Margaret Maron's Judge Knott's series. I got Southern Discomfort a few days ago at the library. The first one Bootlegger's Dgt wasn't in. I like her style of writing very much. I can identify w/ her small town, all-the-relatives-around environment. She gets those feelings across very well. I tho't her story-telling was excellent, i  enjoyed the book. Since i didn't read the first one, i'm wondering if she repeats all the family connections in every book, that could get frustrating, altho it seems she would have to somehow identify all those brothers, etc.  But that's my only concern and i'm looking forward to reading all of the rest of the series. ............jean

Steph

« Reply #855 on: May 27, 2010, 05:59:08 AM »
 Oh Jean, yes she eventually includes a genealogical map of the brothers, etc. She tells you a lot about them and her eventually drawing it out very nicely. I do like her very much.. and wait for each new one.. but you really do need the Bootleggers Daughter to set the tone for the series.
I am reading one of Patricia Sprinklers Southern small town living and loving it. Went back to my swap club and ordered two more.. I had read her stories about the diplomats daughter, but not these. I like these much better.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #856 on: May 27, 2010, 10:28:13 AM »
Jean,  I think Margaret Maron is probably my favorite mystery writer, and now they seem to be more than mysteries.  The family is one of the reasons I enjoy this series so much -- it's fun to see them grow.  The other thing I like about this series is the way Maron frequently  highlights a specific industry or business.  Uncommon Clay is one I'm keeping.  Maybe someday I'll get to vist Sea Grove and see all the pottery.  And, can't remember the title, but the one set in High Point, NC, with a  furniture industry background is another favorite.  Recent ones focus on agriculture, immigration, and real estate development. Judge KNott gets around.  You've got lots of entertainment ahead.  And Maron doesn't mind letting her biases show through.  They're fun reads.

mabel1015j

« Reply #857 on: May 27, 2010, 01:28:00 PM »
Steph and Pedln - thanks for the encouragement to read more Moran. I also like her feminist attitude that she speaks to so bluntly, along w/ the storytelling. I'll look forward to the evolution of the family and the focus on the various industries - that does sound interesting............. i think i've read a Sprinkles book, but i don't remember the title or the story and i don't have my archives :) in front of me..............I also picked up my first Sandra Dallas book on the same day as the MOran book. I just started The Diary of Mattie Spenser which sounds like it's going to be a very good read.....................jean

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #858 on: May 27, 2010, 04:56:50 PM »
Maron has a new Deborah Knott book Christmas Mourning coming out in November.  That will be her 16th, I think.  She has a nice web page and is also on Facebook.  I've read all of them.  She also has a couple of stand alone books that are good.  Lessons Learned is one that I have enjoyed very much.

I also enjoyed her first series about a New York detective "Sigrid Herald".  The complete opposite of Deborah.  She stopped after 7 or 8 books and I wish she had completed the series a little differently.  There have been requests for her to go back to that series.  I sure wish she would.

Babi

« Reply #859 on: May 27, 2010, 07:17:08 PM »
 Okay, I've added Maron/Moran? to my authors list.  Thanks so much,
ladies.   :P  (me, panting to keep up.)

Steph

« Reply #860 on: May 28, 2010, 05:35:20 AM »
Babi.. Maron is the name.. Yes, I like the Sigrid ones but she sort of painted herself in a corner with her. The stand alones are good also.
Finished and love the Sprinkle book.. If you like southern women of a certain age, you will like them.
I honestly thought that Sandra Dallas wrote romance??? no more?? I am not fond of romance and everyone is just too too beautiful for words..

Babi

« Reply #861 on: May 28, 2010, 08:09:34 AM »
  I did like the two Sprinkle books I've read so far, and will probably read more.  Sandra Dallas
is a name I also associated only with romance novels.  What else does she write?

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #862 on: May 28, 2010, 10:24:26 AM »
I've read three Sandra Dallas books -- Tall Grass was great, set in rural Colorado? near a Japanese-American internment camp during WWII, told from the point of view of a 13-year-old.

I also read and liked her  Persian Pickle Club, but did not care much for Buster Midnight's Cafe.

I don't remember much about the latter, except not liking it, but would not call either of the other two "romance."  I'm all for romance, but not much for romance novels per se.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #863 on: May 28, 2010, 11:05:27 AM »

From today’s NY Times, some lines we can all relate to, about the Greenwich Village independent book store Partners&Crime.

For readers of mysteries and crime fiction, a visit is a must. I first ventured down that little staircase eight years ago, and I’ve lost a lot of shelf space, sleep and dollars to the store ever since.

Inside, Rivers of Blood

I made a special trip to that store during the SeniorNet New York get-together two years ago, and hope to go again when SeniorLearn has another  “rendevous” in September.  This time I’ll not be shy and as the article suggests,  will ask the staff for suggestions.

Love the last line --

Try having that conversation with a Kindle.

mrssherlock

« Reply #864 on: May 28, 2010, 11:13:49 AM »
Babi:  Must be the other Sandra Dallas who write "romance"  Novels.  This one has an overall theme of women of the west in lives which reflect their times so she has stories set in Kansas. Arizona, Texas. Colorado, etc.  Dallas is a former editor for Business Week.  I always grab her books because it doesn't matter what they are about, I know that I will read about a woman and how she lives her life.  Arizona border in the late 1880s was very different with a woman as the lead character;people creating ranches out of nothing.  http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/d/sandra-dallas/
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Tomereader1

« Reply #865 on: May 28, 2010, 12:52:59 PM »
Seems like maybe Sandra Brown is the "romance novel" writer.  She is from Dallas. (TX)
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #866 on: May 28, 2010, 03:16:48 PM »
Persian Pickle Club was a good book.  I haven't read any of her other books.

salan

« Reply #867 on: May 28, 2010, 04:34:01 PM »
Sandra Dallas writes historical fiction with strong women characters.  The books are light reads and I always look forward to her new ones; as I have read all her others.   Steph, I think you have her mixed up with another author.
Sally

Steph

« Reply #868 on: May 29, 2010, 05:53:02 AM »
I agree. I think it was Sandra Brown.. I will check in my swap club to try one..

Babi

« Reply #869 on: May 29, 2010, 08:32:15 AM »
 I thik TOME is right.  Sandra Brown writes romance novels, but has also
written under other names as well, incl. 'Rachel Ryan' and "Erin Claire".
Sandra Dallas writes the books JACKIE is talking about, the ones I think I'd
be interested in.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #870 on: May 29, 2010, 02:25:38 PM »
I'm back, finally moved into my new condo and got my internet connection up. The only problem is that my computer is in the room where we put all the boxes that need unpacking, so I feel guilty when I sit down at it. I want to take some action (like going out and closing the door ;)).

I read one of the Deborah Knott books, but it was late in the series, and I just got confused by all the continuing characters. I'll have to start again, near the beginning.

mrssherlock

« Reply #871 on: May 29, 2010, 08:07:23 PM »
joank;  congratulations!!  may you have many, many happy times in your new place.
Jackie

Steph

« Reply #872 on: May 30, 2010, 05:58:20 AM »
Put tablecloths or sheets over the boxes.. Pretend they are decorations.. Sit down... take a deep breath... and talk to us over the computer.. Boxes will last.. Once you have the bed made and at least the coffee pot unpacked, the rest can wait..
Have a lovely time in your new home.

Babi

« Reply #873 on: May 30, 2010, 10:27:49 AM »
 Wait, wait!  You'll need a change of clothes and a towel and washcloth, too. Hmm..  Oh, and
then you'll need your books!  Other than than, tho', one day at a time.  Order in.   :)

mrssherlock

« Reply #874 on: May 30, 2010, 12:15:44 PM »
What a horrible thought, to be surrounded by boxes of wonderful books and not have anything to read.
Jackie

Steph

« Reply #875 on: May 31, 2010, 05:49:31 AM »
Oh, I just assumed she had two or three books in her car, handbag, etc etc. I have books in every nook and cranny. Fear of running out of reading material makes me hoard them.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #876 on: May 31, 2010, 11:29:55 AM »
Steph, this is one reason why I love my Kindle.  I know I can never run out of something to read - at least as long as Amazon is still available.  And I don't have to carry a load of books around.  This is not to say that we don't have real books stacked in every nook and cranny in our house.  ::)
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

mrssherlock

« Reply #877 on: May 31, 2010, 11:47:26 AM »
Who mentioned Barbara Cleverly?  The Last Kashmiri Rose was a delight to read and I'm ready for the next one.
Jackie

Golden State Poppy

• Connie
« Reply #878 on: May 31, 2010, 12:06:37 PM »
I have two books I have been reading:  One I can recommend and the other I cannot.

Linwood Barklay, "Too Close to Home" is excellent.  http://www.linwoodbarclay.com/about.html
It is about a flawed family who have a triple murder take place next door.  They become involved when their son is arrested for the murders.

The one I don't recommend is "Irrestible Impulse" by Robert K. Tanenbaum. It involves Butch Karp, chief of Mahattan's Homicide Bureau.  I just couldn't get into it.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #879 on: May 31, 2010, 12:47:07 PM »
Somehow I missed Margaret Maron's 2009 Deborah Knott "Sand Sharks" so am reading that now.  Glad I checked out her web site.