Author Topic: Mystery Corner  (Read 158196 times)

JoanK

• BooksDL
Re: Mystery Corner
« Reply #360 on: March 19, 2009, 03:46:37 PM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leaders:    BillH and JoanK   

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #361 on: March 19, 2009, 03:48:11 PM »
I'm embarassed to say I subscribe to the NY Times crossword puzzle online, but not to the newspaper. I get my news from PBS and the TV news channels. Right now, I'm staying up late to listen to the Congressional hearings on AIG and other financial issues.

Perhaps I am reacting to my husband, who read three or four newspapers a day. There were always stacks of the things lying around, needing to be dealt with. I always figured we would wind up like the Collier brothers, who were found in their apartment buried under stacks of newspapers.

But I'd gladly put up with that to have my husband back. 

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #362 on: March 19, 2009, 07:31:13 PM »
We're proposing a discussion for May of "Three Cups of Tea". I've started the book, and had a hard time putting it down. It's the story of a "climbing bum", who got lost coming down from a failed attempt to climb K2, and wound up in a Pakistani village so small, it wasn't on the map. When he left, he promised he would come back and build a school. He wound up building over 100 schools for girls, in the area controlled by the Taliban.

If you're interested, come let us know in "Proposed discussions" or here:

http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?board=57.0

GinnyAnn

« Reply #363 on: March 19, 2009, 11:04:04 PM »
I am reading Beat The Reaper by Josh Bazell.  The Library of Congress has it listed under 1 Physicians -- Fiction   2 Assassins -- Fiction  3 Organized Crime -- Fiction. I am really enjoying it.
http://www.hachettebookgroup.com/books_9780316032223.htm

mrssherlock

« Reply #364 on: March 19, 2009, 11:17:20 PM »
GinnyAnn:  That is a popular book at my library; six holds on first of 9 copies returned. 
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

GinnyAnn

« Reply #365 on: March 19, 2009, 11:30:36 PM »
I have been reading about Kindles. They sound great. BUT when reading from it and having the battery die is not my idea of book reading. At the speed of newspapers dying, I hope all paper printed books and newspapers doesn't get lost in all the technical gizmos.  I can't afford to but all of my books and depend on the library and book exchanges.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #366 on: March 19, 2009, 11:43:49 PM »
Ginny Ann, I have had mine since about 1 March, and, after the initial charge, it has not needed recharging.  There's an indicator as to how much charge is left, and you can use it while it's charging.  I do turn it off when I'm not actually reading.  There's no light in it, and that's what eats up a charge.  The manual says a charge will last about 4 weeks with normal reading, and not being connected to their whispernet (for downloads).  Anytime you turn it off, or leave a particular book, you go right back to where you left off when you come back to it.  Plus it has "bookmarks" you can use.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Steph

« Reply #367 on: March 20, 2009, 07:50:02 AM »
My husband and I have always been newspaper readers. This business of the shrinkage is hard. He watches a new channel as well, but they drive me nuts. They pick and pick and generally make rather large molehills out of very tiny grains of sand. Sigh..
Stephanie and assorted corgi

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #368 on: March 20, 2009, 03:58:46 PM »
I thought this was an interesting run down on a book from the Oprah web site - her various guests evidently give her a list of seven of their favorite books and this was among the books suggested by Ben Affleck - it addresses the whole issue of media and print media is part of this problem.

Books That Made a Difference to Ben Affleck

Manufacturing Consent: The Political Economy of the Mass Media
By Edward S. Herman and Noam Chomsky

Noam Chomsky is one of the most widely read writers on American foreign policy in the world. I read Manufacturing Consent in high school and decided to do a report on it for my U.S. history class. The report was a disaster—it took me another 10 years to understand the book—but it provided a radical shift in my perception of how the world operated. Chomsky and Herman demonstrate that while we pride ourselves on a "free press," in truth we have a press that is actually quite self-censoring, and thus hardly free at all.

Most of the media, they explain, are big corporations subject to the same pressures of competition as other corporations, a hard economic fact that fatally undermines their ability either to report the news honestly or to comment on it fairly. Instead of aiming to tell the truth to the American people—so that responsible democratic decisions can be made—the big media are in business to sell audiences to advertisers and are far more concerned with pleasing their shareholders than with letting anything be said that may disrupt that process.

Although the First Amendment is on the books (and sadly, today it functions chiefly to be exploited by tabloid media), Chomsky, Herman, and many of the voices with dissenting views are never invited to appear on our TV screens, unless they can dance—or swap wives. As a result, despite the sanctimonious and self-satisfied chest-thumping of pundits and politicians about the "free press," our press remains narrowly restricted.

I'm grateful to the book for introducing me to Chomsky, a political analyst whose startling brilliance comes from speaking plainly and without compromise about matters that others would wrap in a mendacious fog. Along with Howard Zinn—whose book A People's History of the United States had a similar impact on my life—Chomsky is a writer I believe everyone should read. You will not agree with either of them all the time (I don't), but even when you disagree, you will find both men challenging your preconceptions, making you think, and generally leaving you smarter and more compassionate than when you found them.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

mrssherlock

« Reply #369 on: March 20, 2009, 08:42:40 PM »
Sounds like a book I would want to read.  Also interested in the People's History.  While capitalism creates wealth, most of us forget that it is almost "zero sum".  That is what accumulates in the pockets of the wealthy leaves the pockets of the poor.  They "earn" their money, the others get entitlements.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Frybabe

« Reply #370 on: March 20, 2009, 11:00:17 PM »
I never thought of Noam Chomsky as a political analyst. He is professor emeritus of Linguistics at MIT and among other things, a political activist.

mabel1015j

« Reply #371 on: March 21, 2009, 03:32:03 PM »
Just finished two books by authors suggested here.

"Dyer Consequences" by Maggie Sefton and "Ask the Cards a Question" by Marcia Muller. Enjoyed both, will read more, thanks for the suggestions..............jean

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #372 on: March 21, 2009, 10:11:54 PM »
I went from too few books to too many in a hurry. I'm usually reading two or three books at once, and I like at least onme to be a mystery, to balance "heavier" stuff. I was out of mysteries, went to the Library, and got four, then 4 books that I ordered so long ago, I'd forgotten, came in the mail.

The one I WANT to read first is :The Pemguin who knew too much" by Donna Andrews. But it's the only one that's the right size to use as my "purse book" -- that I carry with me to read when I get stuck somewhere. It's better suited than my current Grafton's "S is for Silence", because "Penguin" is funny. Who wants to read about suffering while waiting at the dentist?

Babi

« Reply #373 on: March 22, 2009, 08:50:56 AM »
I also like to carry a book with me when I'm facing a long session in a waiting room.  What especially pleases me is when the doctor takes an interest in what I'm reading!    :)
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

mrssherlock

« Reply #374 on: March 22, 2009, 10:14:26 AM »
Award lists are good browsing places; I've found some good authors there.  One I'm reading is Jefferson Bass, a writing team composed of Jon Jefferson and Dr. Bill Bass, of the famed Body Farm at U Tennessee.  This is forensic anthropology at its source and the tales are fascinating
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/b/jefferson-bass/
  So much so that I'm reading Death's Acre, Bass' bio.  Introduction is by Patricia Cornwell. 
Jackie

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #375 on: March 22, 2009, 12:17:26 PM »
Jackie, Bill Bass lives "up the road a piece" from us.  We've read all his books - fiction and nonfiction.  And we've heard both Bill Bass and Bill Jefferson speak at a local bookstore.  We enjoy all his stuff.  You will, too.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

ALF43

« Reply #376 on: March 22, 2009, 02:26:58 PM »
News  Flash! Carol Goodman, award winning author of The Night Villa, will attend our June discussion of her book.
 If you like mystery mixed with mythology, cultural and religious history and intrigue then this is the story for you.

The novel is a multi layered mystery set in the exploration of an ancient Roman villa. Mrs. Goodman is a former Latin teacher who knows her stuff,  and since we met with her in NYC, we know she is an incredibly responsive person. This will be "one for the  Books.."  Do join us June 1!
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

Babi

« Reply #377 on: March 23, 2009, 09:30:40 AM »
If you like mystery mixed with mythology, cultural and religious history and intrigue then this is the story for you.

Oh, yeah, ALF! I do, I do! 

"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Steph

« Reply #378 on: March 23, 2009, 09:31:51 AM »
I like the Bass books and have read several. I have the last one in my to be read basket at home now.
Donna Andrews is funny.. The books are a hoot. I have read all of them except for the last one.s
Another funny author that you dont see much is Nancy Martin.. It is based in Philadelphia and is a very funny small series.

ALF43

« Reply #379 on: March 23, 2009, 10:23:54 AM »
I'll be looking forward to your insight, Babi.
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

mrssherlock

« Reply #380 on: March 23, 2009, 01:50:54 PM »
Announcement of the winner of the Lefty for the most humorous mystery of the year was an eyeopener for me.  Humor in mysteries is hard to find so here in one place is not only a list of this year's humorous books but years past, also.  Eureka!  http://www.leftcoastcrime.org/2008/awards.html
Jackie

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #381 on: March 23, 2009, 03:50:28 PM »
I didn't know there was an award for best humorous mystery. Hurray! But when I clicked on your link, I was told "the file does not exist at the specified location".

mrssherlock

« Reply #382 on: March 23, 2009, 05:21:20 PM »
Jackie

mabel1015j

« Reply #383 on: March 23, 2009, 05:35:56 PM »
I couldn't get in on the first link either, but i played around and got this list which looks like a good one too. I've printed it and the second list and will take them to the library w/ me...........hours and hours of great reading!!...........thanks for the tip Jackie...........jean

http://www.leftcoastcrime.org/history.html

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #384 on: March 23, 2009, 09:23:53 PM »
Great! I saw Donna Andrews was nominated.

Golden State Poppy

• Connie
« Reply #385 on: March 24, 2009, 01:54:16 PM »
Thank you for the links to the Left Coast Crime awards.  I would love to attend them but no chance.

Steph

« Reply #386 on: March 24, 2009, 04:35:36 PM »
 have always wanted to go to a Mystery writers convention. Alas not a writer, just a reader, but I would think it would be interesting.

Golden State Poppy

• Connie
« Reply #387 on: March 24, 2009, 04:50:21 PM »
 I am currently reading "Bone Yard" by Michelle Gignon.  It is most intetresting and I am quite intrigued by it.  Kelly Jones is an FBI special agent who is sent to investigate when bones are found along the Applachian Trail when the bones are found in Massachusettes and Vermont.  It involves a serial killer and a copycat nemesis.

Babi

« Reply #388 on: March 25, 2009, 09:51:09 AM »
Thanks for link, JACKIE.  I jotted down a few winners. (Skipped the one who won for the best book cover.  :) )
 I think I need to get out all my 'jot downs' and combine them again. They get out of hand so quickly.  :(

mrssherlock

« Reply #389 on: March 25, 2009, 11:04:16 AM »
Connie:  I found Boneyard at my library but the author's name is Michelle Gagnon, not Gignon.  Thanks for the recommendation.
Jackie

Steph

« Reply #390 on: March 25, 2009, 04:53:02 PM »
I am reading an Eyelet Waldman that is not part of her series. She also writes serious fiction about relationships. This one is not a mystery, but about the Mother child bonds and how it evolves.. It is making me think about how and what I would do to help my adult children.

Babi

« Reply #391 on: March 26, 2009, 08:34:22 AM »
One of the deep pleasures of my life is that my adult children have become friends who like the same things and enjoy being together as adults. My own mother dies when I was 13, so I never got to know her as a person other than 'Mother'.  I could only regret that aspect of her loss once I was old enough to know I missed out there.

Steph

« Reply #392 on: March 26, 2009, 08:59:16 AM »
My Dad died in my middle 20's and I know that I always look at my children and regret he did not get to see them as adults. He revered education and the face that both my children and my brothers child all went to college and graduate school would have made him so happy.
I have sons and the relationship is somewhat different I suspect from mothers of daughters. My Mom also died when I was in my late 30's. We did not get to be friends. She was totally male oriented and after Dad died, had numerous boy friends..She never had much time or effort foreither me or my cousin, that she also raised.

mrssherlock

« Reply #393 on: March 26, 2009, 01:07:11 PM »
My sister had many men in her life.  Seems like she could never let them go, they all hung around, all four husbands were at her funeral.  A counselor told me that people like that can't exist without an other, it's like they have no reflection except in other's eyes, so she always stayed in a relationship until another man came along.  How dreadful to have a mother like that.  Steph, you must be very strong to have turned out so well. 
Jackie

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #394 on: March 26, 2009, 01:14:09 PM »
I had the chance to be friends with my mother as an adult, and didn't take it -- something I've always regretted. I realize with age how much alike we were. Thank goodness my children did not follow me in that: they are the two best friends I have.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #395 on: March 26, 2009, 03:23:43 PM »
My friendship with my mother has been one of the best relationships of my life.  I treasure it.

Joan Grimes
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

Golden State Poppy

• Connie
« Reply #396 on: March 26, 2009, 06:33:57 PM »
My husband and I divorced when my four were teenagers.  He married ang divorced again as did I.  He died almost 20 years ago.  However, my children have turned out well.  My son is a college prof and my daughter just had a sci fi book published.  I may be like the sister that you mentioned who couldn't go without a man in my life since I have had a lot of them including now.

Babi

« Reply #397 on: March 27, 2009, 09:00:42 AM »
POPPY, what is the name of your daughter who just published the Sci-Fi book?
I'm a Sci-Fi fan as well as a mystery fan.

Golden State Poppy

• Connie
« Reply #398 on: March 27, 2009, 12:32:03 PM »
I don't know what name she is using nor what the name of the book is since I haven't talked to her since the initial email.  Her name is Marcia Ferrell.

Steph

« Reply #399 on: March 27, 2009, 04:36:05 PM »
Oh Poppy do find out. I would love to see if we can find it. I am a big sci-fi fan.
My Mother did not feel complete without a man around. She also adored her son.. I must confess that I think I am stronger for the neglect. She did not hate me, I just wasnt terribly important unless she was ill or needed something. My brother never quite grew up. He went through wives and girlfriends and Momma. Always someone to bail him out.. He died a few years ago. I grieved for what he could have been, not what he was. My one and only nephew is a great joy. I love both of my sons and get along well with both daugter in laws.. One perhaps more than the other. I had grandchildren, one of each and realize recently that although I love both of them very much, my granddaughter holds my heart.. We are really close and email and exchange books. It gives both of us great joy.