Author Topic: Mystery Corner  (Read 158190 times)

Babi

Re: Mystery Corner
« Reply #400 on: March 28, 2009, 09:59:25 AM »
My daughters and I, each of whom has married and divorced one husband, often exclaim over my sweet, lively stepmother.  She is able to find a male companion with the greatest of ease. After three marriages, twice widowed, she is now has a fourth companion and is more active and energetic than any of us!  No mystery there at all.   :D
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Steph

« Reply #401 on: March 28, 2009, 10:38:06 AM »
I am reading the Diane Mott Davidson in paperback ( latest one) and thus far, the poisonous child has not been much in evidence. Hooray.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #402 on: March 28, 2009, 11:00:11 AM »
Thank heaven, Arch is beyond all that teenage whiny stuff...and the JRK is gone too...FINALLY. 

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #403 on: March 28, 2009, 01:23:41 PM »
I've just finished Dana Stabenow's latest, Whisper to the Blood.  It's pretty good.  We always like her Kate Shugak books.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Tomereader1

« Reply #404 on: March 28, 2009, 06:04:48 PM »
I just finished it too, Mary, and I was not that impressed with it.  Her earlier ones are much more interesting, with a lot less sex.   In this one, it think they started 5 pages in!

I like the fact that Kate is on the Board and is taking part in her family of Aunties, and caring about the community.  She's always cared, but just never wanted to "take part".
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

peace42

« Reply #405 on: March 29, 2009, 12:57:40 AM »
wow, it has been absolutely forever since I've posted here; just caught up with several pages of posts and I'm just not going to try and remember who posted what! must confess that I haven't done much reading lately and not sure why. Health issues kinda have creeped in and sometimes life just takes over. I was reading from my "winter pile" of books..I buy them at yard sales in the summe and save them for winter days when I don't go to the library very often (even tho it's just at the end of my block!). I tried reading a book by Tim Green called The First 48. The jacket blurbs of course praise it to the skies; one of my favorite authors,Nelson DeMille says that Green is a genius. Well, I must have somehow missed that! the book to me was just plain stupid and the writing was stilted and..well, I finally gave up and put it in the pile to give away. I headed to the library the other day and took out 2 from the "new book" section. I just finished Conspirary of Silence by Martha Powers. Wasn't too bad. Somewhat predictable tho I must say I guessed the wrong person for the who-dun-it! Bit of romance in here but  nowhere like the Tami Hoag stuff I've read lately...she just has to put in every detail of every sexual encounter. This was just a nice book, easy read and yes, I'd probably read another mystery by her. Think she also writes romance stuff under another name. Am going to start a John Sandford book tonite when I head for bed.
Does anyone get the on-line  newsletter Stop You're Killing Me? I think it might have been someone here who turned me on to it. It's wonderful but there are so many books and authors that it's overwhelming. I want to read them all!
Happy reading and sleep well everyone
Garrison Keillor on books: "they're rectangular and easier to wrap than, say, basketballs, and they're a compliment to the recipient"

Babi

« Reply #406 on: March 29, 2009, 09:31:28 AM »
PEACE, I finally started putting my 'notepad' on the toolbar before opening SeniorLearn.  I sometimes find so many posts I want to reply to, that I can't remember them all or who said what.  Now I just make a quick note on the notepad, and refer to it when I'm ready to reply.  Such a help!
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Steph

« Reply #407 on: March 29, 2009, 09:45:13 AM »
I want to read the latest Stabenow. I do subscribe to her newsletter which is great fun. So Kate is becoming a grownup.. Hooray..

mabel1015j

« Reply #408 on: March 29, 2009, 01:39:16 PM »
Babi - can  you explain "putting my notepd on my toolbar?" It sounds like something i could use, but i've been looking for "notepad" on my computer and haven't found it. .....................jean

Golden State Poppy

• Connie
« Reply #409 on: March 29, 2009, 04:12:33 PM »
SWAN DIVE

(hc: Harper & Row, 1988; pb: Pocket, 1989 and 1991) -- Cuddy reluctantly becomes the bodyguard of a battered wife during her stormy divorce.

I can't decide whether I think this book is great or now.  It is written in a spare style like Robert B. Parker. 

As to sex, I enjoy it as part of the story and am glad that it is put in most books.  I enjoy it from the man's point of view as well as the woman's.

Babi

« Reply #410 on: March 30, 2009, 08:53:43 AM »
MABEL, my computer has a 'notepad'.  Yours probably has one or something similar.  Mine is located by clicking 'Start', 'Program', 'Accessories', then 'Notepad'.  If your computer does not say 'Notepad', there may be something similar under Accessories.

Poppy, I have no objection to a reasonable amount of appropriate sex in a book.  I just don't want the lascivious details; they make me feel like a voyeur.
Nor do I consider a romp every few pages reasonable or realistic.

maeve

« Reply #411 on: March 30, 2009, 09:59:29 AM »
I use Wordpad a lot.  You get to it the same way you find Notepad.

MaryE

Frybabe

« Reply #412 on: March 30, 2009, 10:08:16 AM »
While cruising around on Amazon, I ran across the Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher. I remember watching a short lived TV series by that name. What I am wondering is if the book series spawned the TV series or vice versa. I am thinking about adding them to my to buy list. Has anyone read these?

BTW, putting the notepad or wordpad in the toolbar is a neat idea. Thanks for the tip.

mrssherlock

« Reply #413 on: March 30, 2009, 10:42:51 AM »
According to Internet Movie Data Base (IMDB) Butcher's books came first.  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0486657/ I really, really enjoyed Butcher's other series, Codex Alera http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/b/jim-butcher/
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #414 on: March 30, 2009, 11:13:28 AM »
I keep a shortcut to WordPad on my desktop.  It works for me, too.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

mabel1015j

« Reply #415 on: March 30, 2009, 12:14:31 PM »
got it! Thanks all, especially BAbi............jean

Steph

« Reply #416 on: March 30, 2009, 12:42:27 PM »
Reading Night Life.. an old Thomas Perry. I do enjoy him. He comes up with the darndest ideas.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #417 on: March 30, 2009, 04:28:44 PM »
WOW! I've had this computer all these years, and never knew I had a notepad! I've found it. Now, how do I create a shortcut, or put it on my toolbar? (I have a Dell)?

Nor did I know that Stabenow has a newsletter. Got to get that!

Just finished Scene of Crime by Jill McGowan. It was interesting, but (like Christies Murder at the Vicarage) so complex you need a map and a timetable to keep track of it. Definitely not realistic: 6 or so suspects wandering in and out of the scene at the right (or wrong) time.

But I'd read more of hers. Half way between a procedural and a psycological -- she goes into the suspects' heads, so you always know a little more than the police, but not enough to solve it. One weakness -- she doesn't give you characters you can really care about.

MarjV

« Reply #418 on: March 30, 2009, 07:23:36 PM »
Doesn't this look enticing:

Suspicions of Mr Whicher

Or maybe somebody has already mentioned it - just ran across it now.

marjifay

« Reply #419 on: March 30, 2009, 10:43:57 PM »
Yes, MarjV, THE SUSPICIONS OF MR. WHICHER by Kate Summerscale does sound fascinating!  It is to be read and discussed in a Yahoo book discussion group, Bookies Too, in June, and I'm looking forward to reading it with them.
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Steph

« Reply #420 on: March 31, 2009, 08:25:25 AM »
Nice Title.. Never heard of the author. So now Diane  goes from the poisonous child to swigging expresso shots left and right.. Not sure I see where she is going with this one, but am not really interested either.

Babi

« Reply #421 on: March 31, 2009, 08:39:20 AM »
One weakness -- she doesn't give you characters you can really care about.
  A major weakness, IMO, JOAN.  There is a Sci/Fi writer that I continue to read, though I don't consider him a good writer, because I like his characters and appreciate his imagination.  I do wonder, tho', why his editors allow him to use those constant and repetitious adjectives!

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #422 on: March 31, 2009, 10:32:41 AM »
JoanK:
WOW! I've had this computer all these years, and never knew I had a notepad! I've found it. Now, how do I create a shortcut, or put it on my toolbar? (I have a Dell)?

I have VISTA....and I go to Start/Programs/Accessories and right click on NOTEPAD.  My choice is then to PIN TO START MENU.  It then appears on my START window at the top where I can open it easily.  I also have WORDPAD there. [ I also have it dragged down in my quick launch toolbar at the bottom of my desktop window.

If you have XP, you may be able to right click on NOtepad or Wordpad ( a little fancier version of Notepad) and be able to create a shortcut.  If that shortcut doesn't appear on your desktop, you may be able to click and drag the shortcut there...if it ends up in your accessories listing again.]

jane

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #423 on: March 31, 2009, 04:01:40 PM »
It worked. Thanks!

mabel1015j

« Reply #424 on: March 31, 2009, 05:20:32 PM »
thanks for asking the question about notepad/toolbar Joan - i got it too........jean

Golden State Poppy

• Connie
« Reply #425 on: March 31, 2009, 05:53:27 PM »
Notebook is part of the Windows operating system and is on all computers that have Windows regardless of whose assembles it...in this case Dell.  I have Windows Vista, the latest version of Windows operating system but have taught computers since it was Windows 3.1.

mabel1015j

« Reply #426 on: March 31, 2009, 06:50:30 PM »
Read Murder at Vassar by Elizabeth Taylor.........it was o.k. enjoyable. I'll read more of hers.............jean

Steph

« Reply #427 on: April 01, 2009, 07:49:31 AM »
Hmm. The Davidson book is very scattered. I do wonder if she has run out of ideas or something. They have turned Goldie into an obsessed person who breaks laws, makes her husband ( a lawman) into a laughingstock with his peers and generally wreaks mayhem on all. Sad. Nice series originally.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #428 on: April 01, 2009, 11:22:29 AM »
I think Diane Mott Davidson has perhaps run dry.  Maybe it's time for her to let Goldie live happily ever after and begin a new series. 

I think that happens often with authors. They have to let their characters grow and age...and unless there are others related to the original main character who can be the focus of other books,  the characters just wither.

jane

mabel1015j

« Reply #429 on: April 01, 2009, 01:10:56 PM »
Just finished "The Penquin Who Knew Too MUch" by Donna Andrews. It was on the awards list for humorous mysteries. ................... it had some humor and one scene would be hilarious in a movie - zoo animals running everywhere in a backyard. But i didn't connect w/ the characters. I think someone mentioned that here in the last week. I tho't about putting it down a couple times. I didn't really care who commited the murder until about 2/3rds of the way thru and then it was just curiousity, not obsession.........lol.........maybe my expectations were too high, considering that it was an award winner, or maybe Evanovich has spoiled me for other "humorous" mysteries! ..................jean

mrssherlock

« Reply #430 on: April 01, 2009, 03:39:53 PM »
Mabel:  IMHO Donna Andrews' books are very uneven.  One can be hilarious and the next can be flat and lifeless.  I'll still keep on reading until she totally runs out of steam.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

mabel1015j

« Reply #431 on: April 01, 2009, 04:48:28 PM »
Jackie - that was my first Andrews, per your comment, i'll try another one........jean

Steph

« Reply #432 on: April 02, 2009, 07:47:36 AM »
Andrews has her moments. Actually her Dad is a hoot.. She overcomplicates sometimes. But I adore Evanovich, but only the Plum stuff. She somehow hit the absolute right connections there.
I finished the Davidson and have decided to not buy her next. She simply made a mess of this one. In the end I did not even believe how complicated she made everything.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #433 on: April 02, 2009, 03:15:57 PM »
JACKIE: I agree with you about Andrews: it seems as if every other book is hilarious. an every other one is flat. I just made "The Penguin Who Knew Too Much" my purse book, and it's perfect for that: I can pick it up for a few minutes wait at the doctors, laugh, and put it down again. JEAN: you might care for the peoplle more if you had followed them through the series, but not a lot. That's not Andrews strength.

Steph

« Reply #434 on: April 03, 2009, 07:49:06 AM »
Very close to the end on the Thomas Perry book.. It is amazing what he does with characters.. A female serial killer.. really the original face changer.. This was pre Jane, who helps people disappear and you can see the direction of his thoughts. He is consumed with disappearing and life changing.. I love it.

mrssherlock

« Reply #435 on: April 03, 2009, 12:17:15 PM »
Laurie R King's The Touchstone is a non-series "thriller" which shows her developing deftness in characterization.  Jazz-age Britain with a threat of a General Strike attracts a rogue FBI agent from America, a wannabe Machiavelli from some vague government agency, a blue blood Cleopatra dabbling in good works, a wounded war hero semi-hermit, all coming together in a stereotypical English country weekend.  Sounds trite but King's touch is magic.  Our sympathy shifts from one actor to another as she reveals their innermost needs.  It is hard to put down. 
Jackie

Golden State Poppy

• Connie
« Reply #436 on: April 03, 2009, 12:23:31 PM »
I am reading Jonathan Kellerman's "Over the Edge".  It is exciting and interesting.  I much prefer his books to his wife's.  I cant get in to his web site this morning.  I wonder why?

Steph

« Reply #437 on: April 04, 2009, 09:20:36 AM »
I love Laurie King and read every single one. Will keep an eye out for the new one. I generally wait until they hit paperback status.. She is a wonderful writer who really makes me stop and think.

mrssherlock

« Reply #438 on: April 04, 2009, 03:49:01 PM »
Steph:  I think you'll like this one.
Jackie

Babi

« Reply #439 on: April 05, 2009, 09:10:11 AM »
I have a book by Jeanne M. Dams waiting in the wings that looks interesting. It is "Death in Lacquer Red", which introduces "Hilda Johansson, a young Swedish woman working in the South Bend, Indiana home of the Studebaker famiy as the twentieth century begins".  She is an Agatha Award winner. 
  Have any of you read any of her books?  Her other 'sleuth' is Dorothy Martin.
She is new to me.