Author Topic: Non-Fiction  (Read 416646 times)

HaroldArnold

Re: Non-Fiction
« Reply #1040 on: June 10, 2010, 11:47:11 AM »

TO NONFICTION BOOK TALK

What are you reading?  Autobiographies, biographies, history, politics?

Tell us about the book; the good and the bad of it. 

Let's talk books!

Discussion Leader: HaroldArnold

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post by HAROLD:

Regarding the Book readers I expect I will purchase one before the end of the summer.  It will probably be the I-Pad.  For now yesterday I purchased a digital book from B&N for reading on my desktop.  I downloaded the no cost APP software that enables me to read the Kindle coding on my desktop PC.  I set the font size at 14 point making it quite easy to read from about 2 feet from the screen using my computer glasses.

The book is one Ella has mentioned before, “The big burn” by Timothy Egan.  Its cost was $10.99.  Yesterday I Read in an hour some 75 pages of the almost 1200 total pages.  I was quite comfortable sitting relaxed in my office style swizzle chair.  I even highlighted pages with discussion points should we ever do a discussion.  So we don’t really need to buy an additional hardware reader to read books on line.  Amazon too and probably the Apple store too can provide the APP software necessary to read books on the PC that are purchased from them.

Click the following for the B&N E-book Page.  There are 3 free titles available:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/ebooks/index.asp

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #1041 on: June 10, 2010, 12:47:51 PM »
That's great Harold.  Let me know how you like the book; the first half of the book was very interesting, but it bogged down toward the latter half.  Maybe it's just me?

I just posted a nonfiction book I finished in the Library, a really good book,  by Harvey Bernstein.  Titled A DREAM, it's nonfiction and if you think you know anything about poverty, you don't until you read this!

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #1042 on: June 10, 2010, 12:58:16 PM »
This is the article ADOANNIE mentioned in her last post here, proudly we hail:

http://www.libraryjournal.com/lj/home/883793-264/2010_library_of_the_year.html.csp

serenesheila

« Reply #1043 on: June 10, 2010, 05:33:25 PM »
 I have a copy of "The Big Burn", on my K2.  I really like the way Timothy Egan writes.  I have read, enjoyed and learned a lot from his book:  "The Worst Hard Time".  It is about life during the dust bowl, and the depression.  IMO, it is an excellent book.

Sheila

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #1044 on: June 11, 2010, 01:00:22 PM »
Sheila, I read that book also.  It was very good.

I think it's okay to put this here.  It's not a book, but there have been books written about it!  This is the way it was:  Click here:

http://www.youtube.com/swf/l.swf?video_id=S4KrIMZpwCY

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #1045 on: June 11, 2010, 01:07:31 PM »
I've watched that video (above) of Henry Ford's cars for the third time now and see something new every time.  Notice tht all the men are wearing hats  - while working!  

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #1046 on: June 11, 2010, 01:16:42 PM »
That's such an interesting video, Ella. You got me interested more in the clothing than the cars! Only a small handful of the men did not have hats on. The others wore all kinds of hats and caps. Some of the guys wore what looked like regular working clothes but quite a few were wearing vests and even suits and ties as they worked on various aspects of building the cars. I wonder if the manner of dress was part of a feeling of what was "proper."

HaroldArnold

« Reply #1047 on: June 11, 2010, 05:09:33 PM »
Thank you Ella for the Henry Ford Film.  It was most interesting particularly the shots of the model T production line.  A couple of months back I saw an hour long TV biography of Henry Ford.  I think it was a late night of week endshowing on the CNBC business network.  

I will probably out or touch during the weekend as I will be working both Saturday and Sunday at the Texas Folklife Festival.  I'll be at the Texas Indian Exhibit on Saturday and at the chuck wagon Sunday.  Ill check in again on Monday.  

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #1048 on: June 11, 2010, 07:25:40 PM »
I did get the book FORDLANDIA from the Library some time ago, but didn't read it and I can't remember why I didn't; perhaps the print was too fine.  That does happen.  Has anyone read it?  My copy/paste is not working, darn!

"The stunning, never before told story of the quixotic attempt to recreate small-town America in the heart of the Amazon In 1927, Henry Ford, the richest man in the world, bought a tract of land twice the size of Delaware in the Brazilian Amazon."

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #1049 on: June 12, 2010, 11:47:45 PM »
I liked Lynne Olson's Throublesome Young Men, but I'm finding Citizens of London by Olson very interesting and am learning history that was never covered in my high school or college history classes.

serenesheila

« Reply #1050 on: June 14, 2010, 09:29:13 AM »
FlaJean, I am glad to read that you are enjoying "Citizens of London".  I have a copy, but have not yet started it.  Earlier today, I was wondering what to read next, as soon as I finish one of the books that I am now reading.  Your message points me to CoL, next.

Sheila

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #1051 on: June 15, 2010, 09:40:34 AM »
I brought home several good books, nonfiction, from the Library but they all have fine print and that is getting distressingly difficult for me.  I'm going to get stronger lens (at the drugstore) and if that doesn't work for these eyes I am forced to use then it will be large print books only.

My book club is reading MAYFLOWER by Nathaniel Philbrick and, perhaps, I can get a large print of that, or read a chapter or two a night.

STARBUCKED by Taylor Clark about that company, its past and future.  Looks very good.

HEART LIKE WATER: Surviving Katrina and life in its disaster zone, a memoir by Joshua Clark also looks great.  The print in this one is a bit bolder so maybe I can read it.  This author is a key correspondent for National Public RAdio and stayed in New Orleans during the disaster recording hundreds of hours of conversations.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #1052 on: June 15, 2010, 11:24:01 AM »
This is hard to believe and I'm not sure I am reading this correctly.

http://www.amazon.com/Starbucked-Double-Caffeine-Commerce-Culture/dp/B003H4RECS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276615190&sr=1-1

Can it be true that a Kindle costs over $9; a hardcover .50 and a paperback $5?

That's unbelieveable.   What is happening in the book world?

You can read quite a lot of the book onlline. 

Have you ever bought one of those expensive drinks at Starbucks?  Why?  Somewhere in this book it explains that they are no better than their inexpensive coffees.  Just coffee with a college education, hahahaa

HaroldArnold

« Reply #1053 on: June 15, 2010, 12:19:23 PM »
Ella order the book from Amazon.com or B&N online and download the free APP software and read them in any size font on"your PC screen.  I am finding the reading of the "Big Burn" rather easy. Though I have not read since Friday.  Its really quite good maybe easier on the PC if large fonts are necessary than on the dedicate reader appliances.

Babi

« Reply #1054 on: June 16, 2010, 08:19:39 AM »
It must be a misprint, ELLA. If you 'save' $9.71, then the correct price
must be $35.28. The three got lost.
  I don't like coffee, so naturally I've never been in a Starbucks. I still
wondered why people were paying such high prices for a cup of coffee. The company obviously has a marketing director who understands how to catch the public fancy.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

HaroldArnold

« Reply #1055 on: June 17, 2010, 10:05:39 AM »
Babi, Starbucks also happens to make very good coffee, a commodity not always available elsewhere.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #1056 on: June 17, 2010, 11:51:22 AM »
joyous, have you gotten a new email address? We tried to send our Books newsletter to your aol address but we got a "no such email account" message. When you see this message would you please email webmaster@seniorlearn.org with your email address (please mention your old joynclarence address too so that we make the change for the right person)? Thanks!

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #1057 on: June 17, 2010, 01:20:18 PM »
I hope JOYOUS sees the message, Marcie!

From not having any nonfiction to read I have a surplus and I may have to take a couple back to the library unread, but I shall get them again.

The STARBUCKED book is more than just the history of company; it goes into the culture of chains and their inflluence on our habits, etc. 

Starbucks is another mammoth chain - an international chain.  JUST HUGE.  And it has happened so quickly!  They must have copied McDonalds' successful strategies.  In my area they have stuck to just the coffees and a few pastries, not many, but who knows when they will introduce sandwiches, blah, blah!

Today I picked up P.D.James A FRAGMENT OF AUTOBIOGRAPHY, after reading one of her mysteries which I enjoy.  It also looks very good.

Forget the KATRINA book, I am sure there are better books on the subject.

BABI, I looked again at that clickable to Amazon books in my post above and that book is a Bargain Book and the prices quoted are correct, $9 approx. for a Kindle book, $1.50 for a hardcover. 

HAROLD, I don't want to sit in front of my computer to read a book, NO, NO, NO.  But thanks for the suggestion!  (My chair is not as comfy as your own, apparently!)

joyous

« Reply #1058 on: June 18, 2010, 01:03:34 PM »

Marcie: Thanks for thinking of me.
Previously, I was joynclarence@aol.com------now I am joynclarence@att.net. I am also joyous, as you already know.
Anything else??????I am now reading Bernstein's Dream book and
liking it!
JOY(ous)

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #1059 on: June 18, 2010, 03:04:22 PM »
Is that the name of the book, JOY?    The author?

Is it a biography of Leonard Bernstein?

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1060 on: June 18, 2010, 03:10:17 PM »
I've never gotten comfortable with reading a book online. Part is the chair: part something about the experience that is so different from a book. It's a shame: there is so much available online.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #1061 on: June 18, 2010, 03:13:50 PM »
Well for some people there is not much choice .  Either read  a  book online or give up reading books... I am one of those...I have the kindle and the Kindle on my pc...The kindle on my pc is really wonderful to me... I love reading a book that way now...You get used to what you have to when you have eye problems...Joan Grimes
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #1062 on: June 18, 2010, 03:19:47 PM »
Thank you very much for the information about your email, Joyous. We appreciate that.

It sounds like you are likely reading The Dream: A Memoir by Harry Bernstein. He was 98 when the book was published!

joyous

« Reply #1063 on: June 18, 2010, 04:40:43 PM »

Ella: Marcie answered correctly (for me). It is: The Dream, by Harry
Bernstein. He also wrote The Living Wall (I think that is the title).
Thanks, Marcie ;)
JOY

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #1064 on: June 18, 2010, 04:54:05 PM »
Thanks for suggesting those books, Joy.

Frybabe

« Reply #1065 on: June 18, 2010, 06:16:43 PM »
I just finished watching the "Founding Fathers Friday" on Glen Beck show. Oh yeah, I know some of you will boo and hiss. Every Friday Beck does a history of the Founding Fathers which usually includes discussing with their authors books about the Founding Fathers and or the events surrounding the Revolution. Occasionally, he includes Lincoln in the discussion. No he doesn't beat up on the Dems or Obama on Fridays.

Today he had Bruce Feiler on his show. They primarily discussed Feiler's new book is called The Council of Dads: My Daughters, My Illness, and the Men Who Could Be Me (Father's Day is Sunday). http://www.amazon.com/Council-Dads-Daughters-Illness-Could/dp/0061778761/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276898938&sr=1-1 

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #1066 on: June 18, 2010, 06:37:49 PM »
Did you know that Glenn  Beck has now written a novel.. It is on Kindle...I have not bought it as I am not a fan of his...but who knows it could be good I guess.  After all it is fiction...He should be good at that...you can find it on Amazon if you are interested.  I was not interested but to each his own...Joan Grimes
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

Frybabe

« Reply #1067 on: June 18, 2010, 07:33:35 PM »
Yes, I heard Joan. I haven't checked into it yet. It doesn't sound that appealling to me.  Here is the Wikipedia link to what an Overton Window is (a part of political theory).  It was a little easier to understand when Beck described it this week on one of his shows because he used a blackboard diagram.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overton_window

Link to the book description:
http://www.amazon.com/Overton-Window-Glenn-Beck/dp/1439184305/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276904158&sr=1-2

marjifay

« Reply #1068 on: June 19, 2010, 11:52:06 AM »
I might try Glenn Beck's OVERTON WINDOW, just out of curiosity, altho' I can't stand that man's politics.

A conservative right-winger's book I did really like was Newt Gingrich's PEARL HARBOR; A NOVEL OF DECEMBER 8.  No politics in it.  Tells the story of the Pearl Harbor invasion from the Japanese point of view.  Very interesting.

Marj

"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

marjifay

« Reply #1069 on: June 21, 2010, 11:59:38 AM »
I want to read MATTERHORN; A NOVEL OF THE VIETNAM WAR by Karl Mariantes.  Altho' it's fiction, it was reviewed very glowingly at BookTV and will be repeated next Sunday, June 27.  The author was a Vietnam veteran, and apparently many who served there have very much liked the book.  It has gotten good reviews at Amazon also.  During the interview, the author talked about how much the army has changed, for the better,  since that war.  Has anyone read it?

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

HaroldArnold

« Reply #1070 on: June 22, 2010, 04:40:43 PM »
Book Readers New Price Announced Today

Amazon.com
Kindle 2:  $189.00  (Reduced about $50.00)
Kindle DX:  $489.00  (No Change)

B &N
Nook, Wi-Fi only)  $149.00 (Reduced about $50.00
Nook, 3 g & Wi-Fi $199.00 Reduced about $50.00

There is a good article in the Wall Street Journal this morning analyzing the possible effect on book reading and on the industry resulting from these price decreases.  Obviously the lower cost of the reader coupled with the lower cost of digital books has the potential to accelerate the reading of books, news papers and magazines with these new devices.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #1071 on: June 23, 2010, 12:12:22 PM »
People still read newspapers; in Columbus, Ohio apparently.  Yesterday there was an article on our op-ed page by Cal Thomas, who writes for Tribune Media Services concerning a book he considers a must-read.  DIETRICH BONHOEFFER: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy by Eric Metaxas, a brilliant biography, according to Thomas, about the man who gave his life in a failed plot to assassinate Adolf Hitler.  Bonhoeffer came from a family of inellectuals, held in high regard in Germany, and I was surprised to learn that he twice visited the United States, studying at one time at the liberal Union Theological Seminary in New York.

I am 53rd on the list for the book at my library; I may purchase a copy.

marjifay

« Reply #1072 on: June 23, 2010, 04:01:29 PM »
The book sounds interesting, Ella.  I never heard of Cal Thomas or Bonhoeffer.  One of my libraries has it on order, though.

Marj

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #1073 on: June 26, 2010, 02:01:45 PM »
Those of you who participated in our discussion of TROUBLESOME YOUNG MEN by Lynn Olson may be interested in the following paragraph from the book THE SISTERS: The Saga of the Mitford Family by Mary S. Lovell.  It is an observation that I have never heard before and it follows from an incident in 1936 wherein Winston Churchill and his family, upon hearing of Diana Mitford's friendship with Adolf Hitler, invited her to dinner and she made the suggestion that Winston and Adolf,  having much in common in her opinion, should meet.  (She may be the only person in history to know both men well).  There follows this paragraph:

"It is tempting to wonder what might have happened had Diana been able to arrange a meeting.  Might the war, which tore Europe part, have been prevented?  Hitler was pro-England, and had made a stufy of its culture and history.  He was especially fascinated by the ability of such a small nation to control and apparently subjugate a vast empire containing millions of people.  He regarded this as evidence of the superiority of Aryan race and it is widely considered that this was what saved the United Kingdom from invasion.  When Nazi chiefs of staff were poised and ready to strike, at a time when Britain was at its most vulnerable, Hitler hesitated to give the order until the moment was lost."

We discussed various reasons why Hitler did not cross the England Channel when he had the opportunity to do so; it's always remained a mystery to me. 

Frybabe

« Reply #1074 on: June 26, 2010, 04:28:32 PM »
Ella, interesting paragraph. Was there any more information or incite to that event? I sure would like to know what Churchill said at her suggestion.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #1075 on: June 26, 2010, 05:58:10 PM »
Quoting from the book:  Churchill said - "Oh, no.  NO."   That last "no" all in caps seems to say that he was thinking and then he emphatically blurted out out his No.  Churchill was not the man at the time that he later became.  He had made a few diastrous mistakes in WWI and was retired from public life.  His family and the Mitfords were related somehow, there is a family tree in the book but I can't figure it out, don't care to.

Frybabe

« Reply #1076 on: June 26, 2010, 07:44:25 PM »
Thanks, Ella.

BTW, sorry for the misspelling of insight (incite) - two different things entirely.  :-[

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #1077 on: July 01, 2010, 05:09:17 PM »
I think we can forgive you Frybabe, haha.  I have two fingers on my left hand which are numb and my rheumatologist says the nerves leading to them are dying, isn't that a nice thing to hear, my nerves are dying!  But it plays havoc with my typing at times!

THOSE MITFORD SISTERS!  One of them, Jessica, lived in America for years, was a communist and was very active in the CRC, the Civil Rights Congress, which paid for the defense of a black man ( Willie McGhee) accused of raping a white woman (a decade later the book TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD was published).  Reading that chapter in the book was reminiscent of Senator Joseph McCarthy and his witch hunt for all those suspected communists that seemed to go on forever years ago. 

The McGee case, which resulted in his electrocution, might have turned out differently if the NAACP had come to his defense, but at the time these two groups were in contention. 

While at the book store the other day, I had to buy the book THE EYES OF WILLIE MCGEE by Alex Heard who has worked as an editor and writer at the New York Times Magazine and other publications.

And one book leads to another.....

mabel1015j

« Reply #1078 on: July 01, 2010, 08:52:31 PM »
Didn't Jessica Mitford write The Amer'n Way of Death? I didn't know seh was a communist and a muckraker, etc. I only knew about the book, was that in the 70's?........i'll have to google her, or wikidpedia (is that the term?  ;D) her................jean

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #1079 on: July 02, 2010, 01:31:21 PM »
Hello Jean!  Yes, she did.  This site tells you much about Jessica Mitford (called Decca by her family).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jessica_Mitford