Author Topic: Non-Fiction  (Read 416504 times)

PatH

• BooksDL
Re: Non-Fiction
« Reply #3080 on: January 07, 2019, 10:20:36 AM »

TO NONFICTION BOOK TALK

What are you reading?  Autobiographies, biographies, history, politics?
Tell us about the book; the good and the bad of it. 

Let's talk books!

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #3081 on: January 07, 2019, 10:22:03 AM »
Frybabe, I didn't know that about Thomas Becket either.  Amusing--sounds like something Henry would do.

Ancestor tracking can be fun.  I once found an ancestor's revolutionary war uniform in a New England museum--had no idea it existed until I saw it.

mabel1015j

« Reply #3082 on: January 07, 2019, 12:40:10 PM »
Frybabe- i also have trouble listening to books for the reasons you mentioned. If it’s an author or series I know, I’ve got a “voice” in my head as to what the characters sound like. If it is a new story to me, I often don’t like the emphasis, or drama, they put on words or sentences. And Pat, I too have an “understated” voice in my head, altho I hadn’t thought of it that way. 😊

Jean

Frybabe

« Reply #3083 on: January 08, 2019, 08:20:40 AM »
Jean, I am pretty picky about the narrators. My favorite narrator is Grover Gardner, followed by Ray Porter. Gardner is overall excellent and Porter is really, really good with the books that have characters who are fast with the quips/snide remarks/smarty-pants comments and such. Derrick Perkins does a good job with my ancient history non-fiction picks. Carlton Clifton does a lot of interesting history, but as good as his readings are, they come with music and sound effects which, for me, seems a bit much, as in annoying and distracting. A few of mine are group narrations, which as far as the samples go seem good. The Perdita Weeks did a great job of reading Circe, with a breathy, seductive voice that seems to fit the character very well. She is the only female narrator I like so far.

One narrator that I don't care for, sadly, is Wil Wheaton. You may recall him in Star Trek: Next Generation. Will is a friend of John Scalzi's and does the narration for his books. I find his readings kind of flat. I remember thinking his TV persona came off like he never knew quite what to do with himself. His readings give me that feeling too.

Some of my library are multiple character narrations and seem good as far as the samples show. I believe some of them are old live radio performances.  Generally, the listening samples are enough for me to get an idea whether or not I will like the book or not. Having said all of that, I have to agree with you about listening to some of the books that I have already read. They often don't fit with my internal reading voice.

Anyway, I am getting quite a collection of audio-books and have only actually listened to less than a dozen so far, and most of them have been library borrows.

Frybabe

« Reply #3084 on: January 11, 2019, 07:52:35 AM »
I just picked up two AudioBook Great Courses on Physics for non-Physicists, one on Particle Physics and the other on Einstein's Relativity & the Quantum Revolution. I am supposed to have access to extra materials, but I haven't looked to see how i access them yet.

I've just started The Battle that Stopped Rome by Peter S. Wells which is about the massacre of three Legions of Roman troops at the Battle of Teutoburg Forrest.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #3085 on: January 11, 2019, 10:03:35 AM »
Physics on audiobooks.  You're a brave woman, Frybabe.

mabel1015j

« Reply #3086 on: April 28, 2019, 11:30:43 PM »
I’m reading Notorious RBG: the life and times if Ruth Bader Ginsburg. It’s a short, 175+ pages and interestingly done. They print some of her most important decisions and annotate on the side how a comment relates to her previous arguments or decisions. It’s rather fun. It also includes quite a lot of her personal life especially her relationship with Marty. Sounds like they had a wonderful marriage.
I'm reading it for a book discussion next week,I’ll be interested in the comments of others. I’d recommend it to anybody who would like to know about her. What a genius she is.

Frybabe

« Reply #3087 on: April 29, 2019, 06:25:59 AM »
PatH, George shuck his head at that too. It is a Great Courses thing and get me access to additional materials. I have been looking at some of the YouTube SciShow programs, but most of it seems to require some knowledge of higher order mathematics. I got lost on imaginary numbers in algebra, in college. I am hoping these are a little more basic. I am a leg up on only electricity and magnetism, because of my early interest in HeathKits and Ham Radio. This is my summer project after Latin class ends for the summer.

Mabel
, my sister read RGB a while back and has seen a movie presentation of it and has high praises for her.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #3088 on: May 01, 2019, 10:15:43 AM »
Frybabe, I didn't know you were a Heathkit maker too.  I assembled a lot of them in my time, both for our home hi-fi systems and also at work in the lab.  The fussy, picky attention to detail needed just suits my fussy picky personality.  I learned a neat trick for keeping my co-workers from stealing my soldering iron.  I found one with a pastel baby-blue handle--identical to the ones that kept disappearing, but it always came back.  None of the men could stand the color.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #3089 on: May 01, 2019, 10:25:12 AM »
Mabel, you've convinced me to read RBG.  She's so fantastic.  Did you know she took part in an opera here a few years ago?  It was a non-vocal walk-on part, I think in The Marriage of Figaro.  Needless to say, she got a huge ovation.

hats

« Reply #3090 on: May 03, 2019, 05:13:38 AM »
I didn't know about RBG's walk on part. I would love to learn about Opera. Maybe there is a Dummies book or Idiot's book for a person who knows almost nothing.

Tomereader1

« Reply #3091 on: May 03, 2019, 11:20:03 AM »
Hats, I think I have a couple of books that would fit the bill.  They are not "Dummies" books.  I can't locate them right at this moment, as they are with a million other books in my "designated Junk room".  I think one might be called Opera for Beginners.  I have an appt. this morning, and can't go looking today, but when I find them, I will certainly be glad to pass on the titles!  The best thing that ever happened to Opera was when they started using the closed caption translations on the screen.  The Met does this, and I'm sure most local opera companies do also.  My most favorite opera is "Carmen" with everything else in close second!  Does a theatre near you have the Live in HD at the Met programs?  Oh, the beauty of the music combined with the costumes, scenery and those beautiful voices! 
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #3092 on: May 03, 2019, 12:14:59 PM »
The best thing that ever happened to Opera was when they started using the closed caption translations on the screen.  The Met does this, and I'm sure most local opera companies do also.
You're so right, Tomereader.  It makes a huge difference to know exactly what the singers are saying.  Carmen is one of my favorites too.  Have you ever heard the recording of Jessye Norman singing it? Her gorgeous rich, warm voice is perfect for the part.

You know more than you realize, hats.  There's a continuous line stretching from musicals to light opera to the real heavy stuff, and you're already somewhere along it.  It's really fun to learn more.

Tomereader1

« Reply #3093 on: May 03, 2019, 12:35:31 PM »
PatH, I've never heard Jesse Norman sing Carmen, I'll bet it's beautiful.  However, I saw the Met Live in HD performance with Elina Garanca, and she is awesome.  Notes that you wouldn't believe any human voice could sing.  I got chills, goose bumps, and nearly fell out of my seat it was so gorgeous.  Good actress along with the singing!
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

hats

« Reply #3094 on: May 03, 2019, 02:36:43 PM »
Tomereader1 and PatH, That's what I need is a "junk room." Very long ago I did see Dorothy Dandridge and Harry Belafonte in the movie Carmen. I didn't realize it was Opera. What I did know is that the songs were emotional. Each one moved me in a different way. Now that both of you have helped my memory bank lighten up I remember hearing parts of Madame Butterfly. I cried only a few month ago after hearing a part on YouTube. I would have to ask around to find out about the Met programs in our town. 

PatH, I have heard Jessye Norman's beautiful voice. That reminds me to get her autobiography or biography from our library. Thank you both for keeping my interest stirred up. Yes, I love the costumes too. Maybe one day I will see a performance on stage. My oldest son has a great love for Classical music and Opera.

Frybabe

« Reply #3095 on: May 08, 2019, 07:41:40 AM »
I doubt that I will read this, but we've talked about the topic of female emancipation here before, so I am giving anyone interested in the subject to a book titled Mary Wollstonecraft and the Beginnings of Female Emancipation in France and England. by Jacob Bouten.  http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/59448

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #3096 on: May 08, 2019, 11:13:46 AM »
I probably won't read it either, but the subject is quite interesting--her unconventional life constrained by what a woman could and couldn't manage to do at that time.

hats

« Reply #3097 on: June 04, 2019, 05:55:51 PM »
PatH, I love your memory of finding the Revolutionary War uniform of a family member. I can't imagine finding such a treasure.

Frybabe

« Reply #3098 on: November 14, 2019, 04:53:46 PM »
Now listening to Stealth War: How China Took Over While America's Elite Slept by Brigadier General (Ret) Robert Spalding. https://books.google.com/books/about/Stealth_War.html?id=xRaZDwAAQBAJ&source=kp_book_description  It is a bit alarming, but as I listen, I realized that I came to the same  or similar conclusions he did in chapter 2 of the book when I was reading volume 1 of Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #3099 on: November 14, 2019, 08:22:37 PM »
Along those lines frybabe you may find worth reading these two books

Asia's Cauldron: The South China Sea and the End of a Stable Pacific by Robert D. Kaplan
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0812994329/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Most interesting is the background of each nation involved that borders the South China Sea - I did not know that for thousands of years Viet Nam was always split in two, culturally and politically with the north always having close ties to China where the south has a rich culture and different artistic expression then the north.

China's Second Continent: How a Million Migrants Are Building a New Empire in Africa by Howard W. French
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0307946657/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
How China is taking over in such a different way than how we influence and have our fingerprints all over a nation. Poor and low Middle Class Farmers who would have nothing in China emigrate and farm large tracts of land happy as can be for the opportunity. And China builds big national enterprises like dams and such then gives them to the nation but leaves some of their people there to help run things and train the locals which endears China to the nation without handing annual pots of money the way we do with our foreign aide. 
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Frybabe

« Reply #3100 on: November 15, 2019, 06:39:46 AM »
Remember our discussion of the Silk Road? I ran across this video this morning showing photos of Samarkand in 1911. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByPWEwhi8OU

I've put Kaplan's book on my wish list. I want this one in hardcover. I do love maps. I'll pass on French's book for now. 

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #3101 on: November 15, 2019, 10:40:48 AM »
Interesting - thanks frybabe - I check out daily Radio Free Europe for my news and they often have current photos of the goings on in places like Samarkand or Uzbek or Tajikistan - all places we read about in the Silk Road - the current photos do not look that much different then these that are over 100 years old. From what I pick up the landscape makes it difficult for even roads to be built along with monsoons that the water washes away most new construction. Well finally the sun here today - we'll be back into the 70s next week and I can finally stop unconsciously hunching my shoulders - 
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Frybabe

« Reply #3102 on: February 04, 2020, 08:07:51 AM »
I am back to listening to Brigadier General (Ret.) Robert Spalding's book, Stealth War: How China Took Over While America's Elite Slept. Disturbing stuff. Having read some of how economics and trade shaped the ancient world and still shape it today, what is in this book is something of a warning. Some of the latest chapters I read discuss the Chinese push to put up super fast G5 networks and acquire telecom companies worldwide, the fact that parts for critical military equipment is manufactured and imported from China, coercing Radio Free American to modify an interview and then fire the reporter so as not to upset the Chinese government, the problem of Chinese students being coerced and encouraged to steal research info and told not to get too chummy with US students right here in the US, and schools that have Confucius Studies centers (88 as of December 2019, although some are soon closing) being "encouraged" to cancel opposition speakers as well as lack of transparency of the centers. This article doesn't state the problem of the cultural centers quite as alarmingly as Spalding does. https://www.politico.com/story/2019/02/27/china-college-confucius-institutes-1221768 He hasn't even touched on the Chinese military build up yet. Alarmist as the book may be, it is worth noting that the Chinese government has a long-term, multi-pronged plan to become the dominant world economic and military power. Some of it is publicly stated, while some is not.

jepl42

« Reply #3103 on: February 19, 2020, 09:58:14 AM »
I have just read "Dream of Rome" by Boris Johnson. It is an interesting take on the first "European Union", i.e. the Roman Empire. He writes very well. I would recommend it. He thinks Rome succeeded where later efforts have faltered and discusses why. Of course the unifying character of the common language, Latin, was key.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #3104 on: February 23, 2020, 03:13:29 PM »
Hi, jep142, and welcome to the civilian side of the website.  I had no idea Johnson had written any books, and that one sounds like a really good read.  I see he's written other books too.

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #3105 on: February 26, 2020, 10:51:21 AM »
I don't recall when there have been so many books out on the political scene...current and historical.  I've bought one current one  and am working my way through it. 

I didn't realize Boris Johnson was born in NYC and was a former journalist. 

jepl42

« Reply #3106 on: March 04, 2020, 08:30:14 AM »
Another "read" that might be of interest. "Ad Infinitum, a Biography of Latin" by Nicholas Ostler. No politics here, just history and discussion about the origins and changes that have occurred in the Latin language. A bit heavy but I enjoyed it.

As for Boris Johnson, I listened to a debate on Youtube between him and Mary Beard about which was more influential, classical Greece or Rome. In that debate, he took Greece. In the end Beard prevailed with the audience (Oxford or Cambridge, I don't recall) but he can certainly hold his own as a classical scholar.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #3107 on: March 04, 2020, 01:34:30 PM »
I ordered the book (used) when you first mentioned it jepl42 however, it still has not arrived - it is coming from Britain and the blurb said it would be the end of March - I too was astonished to see the vast number of books who has written - never would have guessed. Now it makes sense why he has the respect of his voters other than just his politics.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #3108 on: March 04, 2020, 01:51:23 PM »
Another subject matter but there will be a lecture tomorrow at UT by this author and his book - never think of these things till it comes up

Here is the blurb

“What in heaven’s name is the reason that the sun never sets on the empire of the dandelion?” Al Crosby answered this question in his book Ecological Imperialism.

As Europeans colonized the globe from the 1400s onwards, they transformed the biology of the Earth as well. This transformation was a two-way exchange as Europeans carried with them domesticated plant and animal species which flourished in the lands of the “New World” and Europeans returned to the “Old World” with flora and fauna that filled collections and transformed agriculture and ecology at home.

This lecture will focus on the “scientific travelers” who practiced natural history for economic gain and for expanding “scientific” knowledge of the new lands in America and beyond before Humboldt’s epic journey which set a new standard for collecting, measuring, and comprehending the geography of nature in the New World.

Here is a fabulous YouTube short on Humboldt and what he accomplished - amazing  - I had no idea...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMo7teauU9E

jepl42

« Reply #3109 on: March 07, 2020, 11:01:36 AM »
Although it does not fit properly in this section, "Measuring the World" by Daniel Kehlmann is a historical novel about the relationship between, and the work of, Gauss and Humbolt.  A good read, in any case.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #3110 on: March 07, 2020, 02:16:53 PM »
Goodness - one bit of new information leads to another and another - of course had to find the book you suggested jepl42, Measuring the World - both Gauss and Humbolt are Germans and it sounds like both have very opposite personalities. Intriguing is the bit about how after they meet they are embroiled in German politics which as I recall turned brother against brother as Germany reinvented itself after Napoleon. This I am anxious to read more about since whatever side my Great Grandfather was on he had to flee Germany and came to America.

Then I'm on the Amazon page where the list of published books with that title are included plus, the list always includes a few more that are close in subject matter or a near title - result, I find this little gem, The Measure of All Things: The Seven-Year Odyssey and Hidden Error That Transformed the World by Ken Alder. Now we have two Frenchmen measuring without traveling half way around the world to do it but, the big secret that continues to this day is there is an error that they alone knew about using the metric system.

Whow this error continues to this day - talk about a little tidbit, a come on, to read and find out what is this secret error and how does it affect all things mathematical or does it? or is it really just a marketing come on? Of course it is now on my reading list which gets longer rather than shorter with each book I finish. me oh my... and such is life...

jepl42

« Reply #3111 on: April 21, 2020, 07:49:30 AM »
I have received and started to read "The Measure of All Things" by Adler and I regret to say than even though confined to my home and bored nearly out of my mind, I couldn't get into this book. It is agonizingly slow and after a few chapters, I simply didn't care. Too bad but I can not recommend it.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #3112 on: April 21, 2020, 02:07:13 PM »
Well, that's a disappointment, jep142.  Thanks for the warning; I might have been tempted.

Frybabe

« Reply #3113 on: April 22, 2020, 06:27:24 AM »
I've been listening to Food: A Cultural History, a Great Courses lecture presented by Professor Ken Albala who is a Professor of History at  the University of the Pacific. Not only is it informative, it is entertaining. The lecturer obviously is passionate about his subject and is great fun to listen to. I never ran across Mr. Albala's books, but he has written at least fourteen and edited at least eleven. He also has a YouTube presence. I am going to watch some of these later. https://www.youtube.com/user/kalbala1/videos

Frybabe

« Reply #3114 on: June 29, 2020, 07:07:22 AM »
I am now listening to The Silk Roads: A New History of the World by Peter Frankopan. It is densely packed with a lot of information not directly related to the Silk Road. This is about the ideas and trade that used the Silk Road routes that spread them. Right now, Chapter 2 is about Christianity. 

Frybabe

« Reply #3115 on: July 09, 2020, 07:13:05 AM »
I just downloaded several non-fiction books from FLP and bought another.

The Great Railway Bazaar: By Train Through Asia, a travelogue by Paul Theroux. There are several others of his that are in my Wish List.

The Last Mughal and The Anarchy: The East India Company, Corporate Violence, and the Pillage of an Empire , both by William Dalrymple who is a noted and award winning historian specializing in the area. He lives part of the year in Delhi.

I am still reading A Splendid Exchange: How Trade Shaped the World. I am about a third of the way through and into a chapter about the explorations to find a sea route to India and the East. Vasco de Gama is writ large in regards to the violent and ruthless treatment of Africans, Indians, and Muslims alike as he sailed into history. Seems de Gama was a pretty nasty guy. I'll have to stop for a while to read the two borrowed books before my time expires.

I hope I can keep all this straight what with the different eras but in the same general areas.

jepl42

« Reply #3116 on: September 01, 2020, 09:50:30 AM »
I have just read a collection of essays by Thomas Sowell in a book titled, "Black Rednecks and White Liberals". While not all of the essays will appeal, or perhaps even be acceptable, to all, I found his "The Real History of Slavery" both interesting and topical. I certainly learned many things I did not know. His "Black Education" is also a bit of an eye opener, giving some heartening success stories, something we need right now.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #3117 on: September 01, 2020, 10:26:40 AM »
Jep142, I had never heard of Thomas Sowell before reading your post and looking him up.  He sounds really interesting, and very good with a pithy phrase.  Is that the book of his you would recommend?

One of my daughters is an economist; just for fun I'll ask her what she thinks of him.

Frybabe

« Reply #3118 on: September 01, 2020, 06:39:02 PM »
Really, Pat? You never heard of Tom Sowell? I used to read his newspaper columns, along with Tom Wolfe, Art Buchwald and George Will.

Jepl42, a friend of mine has recommended I read both of the books you mentioned. I haven't yet. I do have his Economic Facts and Fallacies, also needing read.

jepl42

« Reply #3119 on: November 16, 2020, 12:53:16 PM »
Another fun non-fiction book is "The Brendan Voyage" by Tim Severin. It is the tale of Severin's attempt to duplicate the voyage of St. Brendan's  legendary sailing from Ireland to the New World in the sixth century. There is a detailed diary of St. Brendan's voyage and Severin tries to duplicate as best he can the technology St. Brendan used (including a leather boat). So the Irish were the first Europeans in the North America??? By several centuries!