Author Topic: Last Dickens, The ~ Matthew Pearl ~ October Book Club Online  (Read 63616 times)

mrssherlock

Re: Last Dickens, The ~ Matthew Pearl ~ October Book Cub Online
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2009, 01:38:21 PM »

The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  Everyone is welcome to join in.

Click register at the top of the page to create a username and password so that you can post messages in the discussions here on SeniorLearn.

Welcome! Everyone is invited! 

We are happy to announce that the author, Matthew Pearl, is joining us in the discussion of his  latest novel, "The Last Dickens," as he did with his "Poe Story"  and "The Dante Club.

Matthew's literary fiction picks up where Dickens left off in "The Mystery of Edwin Drood."  The story of the fate of Edwin Drood is a mystery within a mystery. When young Edwin disappears after dinner on Christmas Eve and his watch and chain are later found in the nearby river, everyone suspects foul play. Could one of Edwin’s acquaintances have murdered him – and, if so, what could their motive be?  Tragically, the mystery is destined never to be truly solved, as Dickens died before he could finish this novel – all that is left are the clues that can be found in the completed chapters.

Pearl  sends a partner of Dickens’ American publisher, James Osgood, to the Dickens' estate in England where we meet the "fugitives"  from the characters of Dickens' novel.  Is Edwin Drood dead or alive? Was he killed by his uncle, John Jasper? Or did he somehow escape that fate, possibly to return later?  We are anticipating more intrigue as Pearl's fictional characters search for answers in the author's well-researched fiction.

Chapter discussion schedule

October 1-6:     First Installment ~ Chapters 1-10 ~ June, 1870
October 7-10:   Second Installment ~  Chapters 11-17
October 11-13:  Third Installment ~  Chapters  18-22
October 14-16:  Fourth Installment ~ Chapters 23-26
October 17-28: Fifth Installment ~ Chapters 27-37
October 29-31: Sixth Installment ~ Chapter 40

Discussion Leaders: JoanP, Andy

Some topics for discussion  Oct. 1-6 : Chapters 1-10, June, 1870:
1. Were you surprised that the story opens in India, not London,  and in the same month Dickens died?  What is a dacoit?  What do you know of opium or landanum use in the 19th century?

2. What makes the dark stranger, who is  stalking the boy, stand out on the Boston dock? From his description, would he stand out anywhere?  Do you see any connection between him and the theft in the opening chapter?

3.  "Who could have told whether he had known ambition or disappointment?" Do you recognize this line Sylvanus Bendal reads in the bundle of paper  he takes from the dying boy?  Did he know what it was?  Why would he take it?

4.  Do you recognize any of the publishing houses in 19th c. New York and Boston?  How can Fields, Osgood and Co. hope to compete with the powerful NY publishers at this time?  How might the deaths of Daniel Sand and Charles Dickens affect  the Boston publishers?

5. What does Daniel Sand's sister's situation reveal about the position of women in the late 19th century? Do you think conditions were the same in US and England in Dickens' time?  Why did Rebecca choose seek a job in publishing?

6. "What good is a mystery novel without the ending?"   Do you agree that an ending must be found before publishing the unfinished novel?  How do Osgood and Fields differ as to how Dickens intended to end his story?

7. How did it happen that Osgood, not Fields, would go to England to find the end to Dickens' mystery as originally planned?  Do you expect that Osgood will solve Dickens'  mystery  - or create one of his own?

8. Mysteries within mysteries.  What do you see as the "mysteries" presented in these opening chapters?  Do you think they are somehow related? 

9. Why has Osgood been targeted by the diabolical figure?  What did you make of him? Is he "over the top?"

10. In this first Installment we have met a number of characters.  Which do you suspect to hear more from in future chapters? 

Some Questions for Matthew:http://www.seniorlearn.org/bookclubs/lastdickens/lastdickens_q_a.html

mrssherlock: The book could almost have been titled The Mystery of The Mystery of Edwin Drood ;D
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

ALF43

« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2009, 02:48:56 PM »
I agree Ella.  I highly doubt that Daniel was an addict or a chronic abuser of opium.  Osgood is such a kind soul, deciding to hide from REbecca the suspicions of the police.
When she finds out she is crushed and defends her brother.  As you said, she claimed, she would have known.

Daniel's mission was to receive the fourth, fifth and sixth installments of The Mystery of EDwin Drood from London.  Fields, Osgood & Co. publishers  sent him.   (the only authorized American edition of the serial novel ).  What I didn't get was why their publication was the only one for which Charles Dickens received any compensation.  Why is this?  Is it like they had exclusive ownership of the periodicals?
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

marjifay

« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2009, 04:38:47 PM »
The attorney Bendall was another character that I wondered why he was put in the story.  He was there such a short time.  Was it because someone (Bendall in this case) had to hear Daniel's dying words, "It is God's."  Those words must be important.

And I also do not think Daniel was a heroin addict.  Somewhere there is talk of a new invention, that is used to inject medicine into a person.  I think someone injected him with opium -- but why?  To make it easier to steal the manuscript?  And as others have asked:  What's the big deal about the manuscript since there are available copies? 

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2009, 05:11:13 PM »
The book could almost have been titled The Mystery of The Mystery of Edwin Drood ;D
Jackie, I wonder whether Matthew considered that when coming up with the title for his book? ;D

No, I don't think Daniel is addicted to opium - or even a casual user, but didn't you notice anything strange about his behaviour that morning?  He left the publishers with strict instructions to meet the ship and pick up the bundle of advance copies of the last  installments Dickens wrote.  It's really important that only Fields and Osgood get this installments because IF any of the other American publishers get their hands on them, they are free now to print and sell them - they can publish the six installments - just as they are printed today.  All international trade agreements are off, since Dickens has died.  Fields and Osgoods had exclusive rights, only as long as Dickens lived.

But watch Daniel.  He is seen later that day - lifting a barrel to pick up the hidden bundle.  Where had he been?  Why hadn't he taken the bundle right to the publisher?  He was gone long enough to have been injected with the opium somewhere - but where?  Do you think it was one of the Bookaneers?  Or the turbanned stranger, perhaps?  And if they had seen him hide the bundle beneath the barrel, why hadn't they retrieved it by now?
Marjifay, it seems that a new way to quickly deliver the opium to the bloodstream has been discovered - more efficient than smoking it!

matthewpearl

« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2009, 05:43:28 PM »
The book could almost have been titled The Mystery of The Mystery of Edwin Drood ;D
Jackie, I wonder whether Matthew considered that when coming up with the title for his book? ;D

I don't think my publisher would have gone for it, but I love the comment, thanks Jackie!

I actually do have a list of titles we considered. Do you want to see them? I don't think they give anything away:

DICKENS LOST
CHARLES DICKENS IS DEAD
DICKENS DEPARTED
THE LOST DICKENS
DICKENS UNDONE
DICKENS UNBOUND
DICKENS AT LAST
MR. DICKENS DEAD
DICKENSIANA
THE DICKENS SYSTEM

Gabi, my wonderful research assistant, had some really good ideas including:

THE DANGER IN DICKENS

So many great questions. Yet I don't want to give anything away with answers.

"1. I read somewhere that Dickens himself went to an opium den to research the effects of smoking opium firsthand. Wouldn't you think that as part of his research he tried it? It wasn't illegal at the time. Or was it?

Do you think Dickens went simply to observe and take notes? Was there ever any talk that Dickens himself was a user?

Matthew, did your research go into this topic? "

Ah, this will come into play, so I'm going to stay quiet on it for now! But yes, Dickens did do firsthand research for his books.

"I'm enchanted by it!" Thanks Ella! Ella Enchanted!

"Can fans somehow be involved in the choice of a cover?  How important is a cover?  More or less than the author?"

For my friend Katherine Howe's new novel, they actually did do a focus group comparing several covers. Oh, by the way, you guys should read her novel, THE PHYSICK BOOK OF DELIVERANCE DANE (www.katherinehowe.com), a mystery surrounding the Salem witch trials. I bet I can get Kate to participate here.

"Might I ask, Matthew, IF you had that much say so why did you not put your name at the top?  I always was told that if an author finally "MADE IT" his name would be a the top, ABOVE the title."

Andy, I actually never heard that myself! Next time I'll lobby for it!

"a lot of us here experience serial fiction in these discussions--we read only the week's assignment, and don't read ahead. "

Very true, Pat! I hadn't thought of that, perhaps that is part of what makes this a special community experience.

"I did it in Drood, too"

By the way, I'm so excited to have several of you here who just read The Mystery of Edwin Drood. What a rare treat! It's not often read anymore, and certainly one does not have to read it to read my novel (as I've said here), but I think it adds another dimension.

"Charles Dickens is turning into a character in this book - and you know, I hate to say this about a man so many worship - compare to Shakespeare, but he really isn't a very likeable man, is he?  Just between you and me..."

Joan P., absolutely true. Dickens is a tough customer to like BUT also hard to dislike. We'll talk more about this in the Second Installment, I'm sure.

"the policeman's view of women working.  I guess that was the general opinion at the time."

Sheila, you're absolutely right, this was very early in the existence of women working in co ed workplaces. One of the reasons I was very excited to write Rebecca's character.

Andy, I am very sorry for your loss and appreciate you sharing it here.

mrssherlock

« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2009, 05:44:20 PM »
Remember that the cane has fangs on it.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

matthewpearl

« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2009, 05:52:31 PM »
Remember that the cane has fangs on it.

The image on the top of the UK cover is something like the cane head...

matthewpearl

« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2009, 07:42:15 PM »
Re: the alternative titles. There was one I was really pushing for before we settled on The Last Dickens. Can anyone guess which one?

serenesheila

« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2009, 07:46:53 PM »
Andy, my heart goes out to you.  I am so sorry that you lost an adult child to drugs.  Both of my sons were addicted to drugs.  The older one was selling drugs.  He refused to go to NA, so I turned him in.  Then, I learned the Sheriff's office had our home under surveilence.

When my youger son returned from military service he was addicted.  He forged checks from his great grandmother, to pay for his drugs.  When we learned about it, he came to us for help.  I took him to Alcoholics Anonymous, and introduced him  to a young man I knew was a former drug abuser.

Both of my sons are now drug free, for over 20 years.  But, I know the heartache that comes when a loved one is addicted.  May God bless you, and yours.

Sheila

serenesheila

« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2009, 07:53:41 PM »
As for the British/Chinese drug trade, I learned a lot from a course I took at the nearby college.  It was called "Chemical Dependence".  I had known that the Chinese heavily used opium.  But, until that class I did not know that the Brits sold it to the Chinese.  I remember learning that the Chinese government struggled to end the drug trade from England.  But, it was never totally successful.  Profit from the drug trade for the Brits, kept it going.

Sheila

Deems

« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2009, 08:22:17 PM »

Matthew--  I read THE PHYSICK BOOK OF DELIVERANCE DANE and really enjoyed it.  I thought it was very good for a first novel.  It would be really fun if you could get Katherine Howe to come in and play with us.  I assume that she has read your book.

Also I'm guessing that your favorite of the titles that didn't get picked was The Lost Dickens.

Andy--I'm truly sorry about your son.  Addiction runs in my family--adult son, now clean and sober but lost for years and a sister and her son, now, I hope, working on his recovery.  There are others too in older generations.  It seems to me that those who love the addicts suffer far more than the addicts themselves who are often only faintly aware of what is going on.  Later, if they sober up, comes the burden of guilt.

Sheila--Yes, the British introduced opium to China and the Opium Wars were fought over the drug.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2009, 08:47:31 PM »
Matthew, I'm also guessing "The Lost Dickens" would have been your choice.
I really like the UK cover as a kind of in joke--the Drood cover with two additions.  I presume we will find out the significance of the watch later.  I also appreciate the care you are using to avoid spoilers.

ALF43

« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2009, 09:43:45 PM »
Marj-
The attorney Bendall was another character that I wondered why he was put in the story.  He was there such a short time.  Was it because someone (Bendall in this case) had to hear Daniel's dying words, "It is God's."  Those words must be important.

You're right Marj, his part was short lived but long enough to discuss with Mr. Osgood the details of Daniel's death and deny that Daniel had any papers with him at the time of the accident.  
It is God's???
What God's will? God's way? God's intention?  You're right Marj, this is something we should keep in our thoughts.
I cracked up when Bendall, this attorney for the indigent, held the papers like the auctioneer holds his hammer  :D
He listened to the bystanders all putting their claims on the papers; a brickmaker, a guy with ticket stubs in his Bible, a woman who had named her pets after Dickens, a mechanic who had read David Copperfield and an old guy who cried for Dickens.  Now Matthew that is funny!
A guy who had read Dickens- ;D

Not only did Bendall inflate his nostrils each morning like a war horse, he sure as heck inflated his chest as well.  Unfortunate for him that he argued with HERMAN and met the fate of the cane head.
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2009, 09:51:26 PM »
ANDY  {{{{{still more hugs}}}}}

ALF43

« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2009, 09:52:09 PM »
Matthew, I also read Katherine Howe's The Psysick Book of Deliverance Dane.  The Salem witch trials have long fascinated me and I think she did very well for her first novel.  Of interest is that she traced her own ancestors, gathered facts and then wrote the novel.  Very ambitious.!

Thank you Deems and Sheila for your empathy and understanding.  It is still one he** of a mess and the homicide is still being investigated.  It has been 9 months now.  Only when you've lived, as a parent through something like a child addicted can you begin to understand the futility of it all.

Matthew, I vote for the alternative title to be Dickens Unbound.  The manuscript never made it to the publishers.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2009, 11:40:22 PM »
Thank you for paying such close attention to all of our questions and musings, Matthew!  And for supplying so much other information to make this such a an exiting experience!  I can't wait to come in here to see what is going on! And thank you for Katherine Howe's webpage - I just love playing with it!  Perhaps we will consider her novel if there is interest - we love to see what new writers -  newly published writers are doing, don't we? ;)

I liked DICKENS LOST - but DICKENS UNBOUND is pretty good too for the reason you stated , Andy.  It occurs to me that we haven't reached the end of Matthew's novel - there may be good reason for choosing "THE LAST DICKENS"  when we get there.  PatH, I immediately thought of Edwin Drood's watch when I saw the UK cover.  On the wrapper that would have accompanied the last installment!  I wonder if we will meet him (Edwin) in Matthew's novel.  That would  be a trip - those of us still trying to get over losing him in Dickens'  novel would really take to that!  

We're meeting quite an assortment of characters. Some of them are Matthew's fiction, others really lived - look at this - there really was a James Osgood - 19th century Boston publishing houses .  Matthew has given him a speaking part in his novel!  And a lady friend.  Do you think she was true or fiction.  I'm betting that she and Daniel are Matthew's creations.  Same with Sylvanus Bendall.  How many of these characters do you think we'll meet in the coming chapters?  I thought Sylvanus l was going to play a role up right up  until he ran into Herman - he was so well drawn. How can you spend so much time and talent on such a character, Matthew - and then sacrifice him in the next chapter to Herman.   I can't wait to hear what  the rest of you think of Herman!  

We all agree that Daniel was not an addict, but that the coroner recognized all the signs of an opium overdose.  We know that Daniel went to the dock in the morning to pick up the installments.  Something happened to him from the time that he picked up the installments, deposited them under a barrel and returned that afternoon around 2 pm to pick them up.  Is that a mystery to keep in mind along with Daniel's dying words to Sylvanus Bendell -

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2009, 11:40:32 AM »
Thanks to Matthew Pearl for a real intriguing mystery.  The start is in Bengal, India and I wonder why??  One of Dicken's sons is a magistrate there and obviously doesn't feel mournful about his father's death.  After Turner and Mason lose their prisoner to the wheels of the train, we are left with Turner's fear of the name, Dickens.  Hmmm, why would he be fearful? 

Our author then takes us into Boston-1870-the busy harbor where we are introduced to a chase of one of Dickens's publisher's go-phers, Daniel Sand,  who is running to get away from a man carrying an evil looking cane with a head that has sharp curved fangs.  He tells Daniel that he wants the bundle that the young man is carrying.  It is so important to Daniel, to get the bundle of papers back to his boss at Fields, Osgood,& Co.  Why is he wearing a wool suit in the middle of summer?
I thought the man would kill Daniel with the cane but seems he didn't need to do that since the oncoming omnibus runs the young man down.  Who will get the papers now???
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2009, 12:56:19 PM »
The information on the publishing industry is fascinating! I knew it was "cutthroat" but not literally.

How soon would the publisher be able to get a replacement copy? Was the transatlantic telegraph working then, or would they have to send word by boat? In either case, it would return by boat. When I sailed to England in the 60s, it took 8 days. A bit faster going back: but still time for whoever stole the first copy to publish. Why didn't they?

ALF43

« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2009, 01:42:05 PM »
JoanP- great find on the truth re. James R Osgood.  I loved the link that you provided.  Who would have thought that Osgood LIVED!  Matthew, that must be difficult to weave true facts of a real person within a fictitious story.  I know many hate Wikipedia but .... Will the real Mr. Osgood please stand up.
check out Mr. Osgood here

JoanK- I am with you.  I had no clue that the publishers wrangled as much as they do.  Perhaps Matthew can shed some light for us about that kind of bickering that is inherent in his world.  
I would be interested in knowing if what the forthright Major Harper said is true when he toasted with his brandy offered by Mr. Osgood.

"To we happy few, the publishers of the world!  Individuals who kindly assist authors to obtain an immortality in which we do not ourselves particiapte."

That thought has never crossed my mind but why wouldn't they feel that way?  Publishers never receive kudos do they Matthew?

AnnieO- Hello we love that you were able to join us in our discussion.
 HMM-- yes why a wool suit in summer?   Perhaps Daniel didn't have any other attire that was suitable for his assignment.  He and his sister Rebecca lived on a veryfrugal budget.

mrssherlock

« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2009, 01:43:00 PM »
Although it takes place much earlier, 1860 something, Papa March , the father  of Little Women, lives in Concord and among his friends he counts Thoreau and Emerson.  I love the way unrelated books reveal these little coincidences.
Jackie

ALF43

« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2009, 02:00:23 PM »
Jackie-It seems that for months, many times years to pass and you don't hear nor think of a particular word or a name, when all of a sudden it appears to pop up and out at you linking one book or thought to another.  The connection is eerie oft times as we pause and try to associate and attach each relationship to that particular word or person.

I expected to see the misters Thoreau and Emerson again though from Matthew. :D

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2009, 02:02:58 PM »
What a contrast between Thoreau, sitting on Waldon Pond, and the hustle od Boston. Now I'll bet we'd have to go further than Concord to find such a contrast.

marjifay

« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2009, 02:40:40 PM »
As to why Daniel was wearing a wool suit in summer-- If I remember correctly, when he was promoted to Clerk, he had to wear a suit and could only afford one.  Osgood, I believe, offer to help him with the payments, but Daniel refused saying he could manage by himself.  That doesn't sound like a boy who had been spending his money on Opium, does it?

In reading this book and Ted Kennedy's biography, both set a good deal in Boston, I would love to visit there!  Was looking at a map of the city and would love to see all the historical places.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

ALF43

« Reply #63 on: October 03, 2009, 04:32:09 PM »
Ah Marj-   Boston ranks right up there, for me, as one of the top fun cities to visit, next to NY City & Charleston .

serenesheila

« Reply #64 on: October 03, 2009, 04:44:13 PM »
Marifay, you are right about Daniel and his suit.  I remember Osgood encouraging Daniel to select a less expensive suit.  However, Daniel had been saving his money, and wanted the best.  Then, when summer arrived he needed a lighter weight suit, but was unable to afford it.

I do not believe that Daniel was an opium abuser.  Osgood considered Daniel a good, dependable worker.  That is why Daniel was promoted to clerk.  No opium addict, would be a good worker, nor a dependable one.

Sheila

matthewpearl

« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2009, 05:13:13 PM »
I'll catch up with some of the other questions, but in the meantime, wanted to follow-up on the title.

The one I was pushing none of you picked--which is probably why I didn't get anywhere with it! I refer to DICKENS DEPARTED. I had a few advocates for it, but one complaint was it was too similar to the movie THE DEPARTED. But really? Can one never use the word "departed" again in a title? I thought it had a nice ring.

Andy, I loved DICKENS UNBOUND, but couldn't get anyone at my publishing house into it.

It came down to THE LOST DICKENS or THE LAST DICKENS, so many of you picked the runner-up correctly. I knew I wanted "Dickens" in the title but it's a tough word to match with something. It's also tough to convey a thriller or mystery storyline in a title. DICKENSIANA, for instance, doesn't indicate a thriller. In the end, we felt THE LOST DICKENS sounded a bit too much like a nonfiction book, and THE LAST DICKENS had a nice ring to it, looked nice in print, and conveyed (somehow! it's never quite clear) a thriller storyline.

I absolutely LOVED researching the publishing house culture and was as surprised as you were to find what it was like. Make sure you stop by my gallery of images on my website if you haven't... click here

ALF43

« Reply #66 on: October 04, 2009, 08:40:30 AM »
Andy, I loved DICKENS UNBOUND, but couldn't get anyone at my publishing house into it.

You see Matthew, let that be a lesson learned.  IF your name appeared ABOVE the title your choice would have been granted. ;D

I loved the gallery images, particularly the monogram of the JRO.  Nasty old Harper looks like a benevelent sort though, doesn't he?  Direct eye contact, forthright and undisguised.  I usually like people like that, as you know right where you stand.

Goodness it's already Sunday and we've barely touched on the profusion of characters in our first installement. Noone has yet mentioned Miss Rebecca, Daniel's poor and troubled sister.  To protect herself and Daniel from her husband Ambrose, she moved to Boston and was finally able to afford a divorce from the clod.  For two years was up she was legally barred from entering any romantic relationship or her divorce would be nullified and she would never be able to remarry.  

What? Was that really a Massachusetts law back then?  I loved this~~~
"It may have been a strange thing to feel relief at trading a house and a husband for a shrinking boarding room and office owrk all day, but that's how she felt."
I get that!  Been there-- done that.  Did anyone notice how Matthew snuck Mrs. Gamp, A character from Dickens in?  Clever Matt, clever!!  Like Rebecca many of us feel that books are our companions, sustenance feeding our minds.
She protected Daniel, nursed him back to good health and believed in his sobriety.

mrssherlock

« Reply #67 on: October 04, 2009, 09:29:44 AM »
Sharing the state of divorce with Rebecca (I, too, beenthere, etc.) slipped right past me.  Her plight is almost Dickensian, isn't it?  So, too, was the manner of her brother's death.  Matthew, you are a sly one, aren't you?  This book is even richer than I had first thought.
Jackie

mrssherlock

« Reply #68 on: October 04, 2009, 09:32:42 AM »
Whoops!  I misread the schedule, thought the first assignment was Chapters 1 - 6! No wonder I'm behind.  I'll be back!
Jackie

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #69 on: October 04, 2009, 11:23:35 AM »
I think the sort of restrictions Rebecca had to get her divorce were common when divorce was first becoming more possible.  I wonder how it worked for the man?  Rebecca is taking a big risk going on that voyage.  It seems just barely respectable to me, and someone could easily accuse her of becoming romantically involved with Osgood.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #70 on: October 04, 2009, 11:38:18 AM »
How soon would the publisher be able to get a replacement copy? Was the transatlantic telegraph working then, or would they have to send word by boat? In either case, it would return by boat. When I sailed to England in the 60s, it took 8 days. A bit faster going back: but still time for whoever stole the first copy to publish. Why didn't they?
It turns out there was a Transatlantic Cable in 1870, though it seems to have just become reliable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transatlantic_telegraph_cable

Why didn't someone publish the copy?  Bendall still had it until the day before they sailed for England.  I'm guessing there is something elas about the manuscript that makes it important.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #71 on: October 04, 2009, 11:41:07 AM »
PatH, you think so?  The rationale for Rebecca going was that Osgood needed a bookkeeper, an assistant of some sort, it seems.  I think Osgood is the one who has romantic ideas, but time will tell.  I haven't read ahead.  Everyone knows a book needs a romance of some sort, a hint of one will do for now. 

Rebecca thoughts:  "Rebecca found herself smiling at the amazing chance to travel, to contribute, and to preserve her future in Boston by helping Osgood's quest."

No doubt, she would never be able to afford such a trip otherwise.  I would go if I were in her situation,  let the tongues wag!

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #72 on: October 04, 2009, 12:06:18 PM »
Good morning from not-so-sunny Memphis!  Here for the weekend to celebrate grandson Bryce's fifth birthday!  Star Wars revisited!  Sneaking in a few mintues to read your posts -

Matthew, I loved reading of the publishing wars too. Many of the publishers you write about survived - and I also noticed Publishers Weekly too.  Didn't know that had been around for so long.    Did you notice in the Wikpedia link to the article  Andy provided on James Osgood - Your name, your book were mentioned!  Thanks for that, Andy! What fun!

It might be interesting to talk about the relationship between authors and publishers today.  I've read some recent articles how authors are pretty much on their own to drum up interest in sales - unless one of the really big bestselling names.  Tough to get a start, isn't it?

Do you think that reading books was more popular in the 19th century than it is today - with television, the internet, etc.
vying for attention?  And what of women in the 19th century - do you think Rebecca Sand represents a typical female reader of this time?
"She had never thought about books being judged, rather than devoured."

I'm not sure one needs to learn to consider a book's literary merits to enjoy it.  I wonder what you think?

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #73 on: October 04, 2009, 03:06:27 PM »
JOANP: "I'm not sure one needs to learn to consider a book's literary merits to enjoy it.  I wonder what you think?"

No, of course not. And, even when aware of literary merit, enjoyment of books is so complex, you can enjoy them on different levels. Only a few of the mysteries I love can claim literary merit, but I enjoy them, along with classics,  poetry, and non-fiction. Each holds something differant for me.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #74 on: October 04, 2009, 03:17:42 PM »
A bit of Dickens trivia. I'm reading a crazy Sci-Fi book (Jasper FForde, "Thusday Next-First Amoung Sequels"). where there is a special police force to keep books from being corrupted. They are worried because "The MAWKI5H virus has once again surfaced in Dickens, particularly in the death of little Nell, which is now so uncomfortably saccharine that even our own dear, gentle, patient, noble Nell complained."

They aren't able to solve all crimes. Someone has stolen all the humor from the Thomas Hardy novels, which used to be the funniest books around.

mrssherlock

« Reply #75 on: October 04, 2009, 04:16:42 PM »
Stop, Thief ;D!
Jackie

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #76 on: October 04, 2009, 06:28:24 PM »
"And, even when aware of literary merit, enjoyment of books is so complex, you can enjoy them on different levels"

That's true, JoanK.  But you do pause when reading and reflect when you read a good sentence, a good thought.  However, you read on and it fades eventually. 

ALF43

« Reply #77 on: October 04, 2009, 07:14:29 PM »
Joan- what a strange concept for a book.
 Ella's right, how many times do you pause and contemplate that wonderful written word as you read?  I don't know much about authors but I know what I like.  It's art and our tastes all differ.  Picasso has merit too but that doesn't mean that everyone enjoys his particular taste.

Ella- I believe that Annie Fields helped when she suggested Rebecca accompany Osgood across the sea and she was honored to accept.  Like Ella, I would have jumped at the chance.  She's grieving, alone and worrying about where she is going to live next.
 I wonder if that mean spirited Mr. Midges, who informed Rebecca of the "opium coversation" he overheard will resurface in the next few chapters?  Hateful man!!!

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #78 on: October 04, 2009, 07:52:00 PM »
Mysteries abound in these first few chapters.  Two unexplained disappearances or, perhaps, we could say three if we are to count Daniel Sands.  The prisoner on the train, who supposedly jumped out a window, and then another prisoner on the boat who escaped from a cell.  Of course, we know the first prisoner on the train was killed, but until we read our next chapters we won't know what happened to this fellow who had the monstrous fang-headed cane, which cane, incidentally, also appeared in the hands of a mustachoed fellow in the incident of Daniel being hit by the lorry.

Many unexplained, as yet, mysteries within mysteries, as JoanP stated in the heading.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #79 on: October 04, 2009, 07:59:23 PM »
"the monstrous fang-headed cane, which cane, incidentally, also appeared in the hands of a mustachoed fellow" I wish I had a mustachio, so I could twirl it, and say "Heh, heh, heh" in approved villain fashion.

I too, wonder about Rebbecca going on the boat unchaperoned. Did women do that then? Perhaps because she was "working class" (or at least in an ambiguous class position) the same rules don't apply.