Author Topic: The Library  (Read 2050093 times)

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
Re: The Library
« Reply #15600 on: July 29, 2015, 11:08:49 PM »

The Library
Our library cafe is open 24/7, the welcome mat is always out.
Do come in from daily chores and spend some time with us.

We look forward to hearing from you, about you and the books you are enjoying (or not).

Let the book talk begin here!
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #15601 on: July 30, 2015, 01:49:18 AM »
Our Wild Days; Creating the Good Life on SeniorLearn

When we look back on
our many fond memories of
enjoying a story
that we discuss here
on Senior Learn,
we realize
it's not so much the story
we remember,
but the feeling
of friendship and security
that it gave us.
Join us Monday August 10
when we share our memories of books read on Senior Learn
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Frybabe

« Reply #15602 on: July 30, 2015, 06:03:43 AM »
Ran across a new(ish) author named Sarah Bryant. Some of her books are historical fiction, a few I would characterize as speculative fiction (maybe scifi). Has anyone read her books?
http://www.sarahbryant.net/

Steph

« Reply #15603 on: July 30, 2015, 09:00:02 AM »
Have not seen it, but did love the Tiffany one. It is sad but true, that so many many things we did as children or young brides are no longer there or impossible.
Yes Moorestown was one of the very first enclosed malls. They killed themselves with higher and higher rents and were perceived as no longer a bargain.Now the big deal is the large outdoor centers.. I like them, but they are not really walkable and with this summer being so hot and humid would love a close mall up here to stroll in. too hot by far.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

mabel1015j

« Reply #15604 on: July 30, 2015, 11:37:08 AM »

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #15605 on: July 30, 2015, 01:30:17 PM »
Enjoying the posts and all the memories they bring of our former cities.  I was born in DC and years later two of my grandchildren were born at the same hospital.  My oldest child was born at Bethesda Naval Hosp.  I've been in and out of town a lot.  We left when I was six when all the non-war agencies were transferred to other cities to make room for all those coming in. After my father died during the early war years my mother elected to stay in the Midwest.  But the Washington Monument went with us always -- a tall white tower cupboard, where linens and other household necessities were stored.

Steph

« Reply #15606 on: July 31, 2015, 08:50:18 AM »
Oh Pedlin, the mental picture of your cupboard was priceless..
Supposedly the humidity is somewhat lower.. Oh please. The Coast Guard has announced a press conference for noon. I wish I thought it would be good, but know it wont..
The constant rain in Florida has me a bit worried. I live in a courtyard house and it drains, but slowly.. so the hard rain can be a problem. Ugh.

MaryPage

« Reply #15607 on: July 31, 2015, 12:34:13 PM »
Pedln, did you know that Bethesda Naval is now also Walter Reed Army?  They did away with the beautiful (albeit crumbling) Walter Reed and moved it out to be one with the Navy.  Who knew THAT would ever happen!  I would have disbelieved it had someone predicted it back in the day.  Being an Army Brat, I used to preen myself with pride over both West Point beating Annapolis for beautiful setting and Walter Reed beating Bethesda for the same.  That was back in the day when it seemed Navy would never beat us in football!  Well, you know what they say goeth before The Fall!

Yep, now the whole shebang is Walter Reed National Medical Center, and it serves as our NATIONAL hospital for all military and the Congress and the President & Vice P.

marjifay

« Reply #15608 on: August 01, 2015, 12:01:32 AM »
I have a biography of Walter Reed on my TBR list.  I remember reading about his experiments with Yellow Fever mosquitoes.  Quite a man.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #15609 on: August 01, 2015, 02:12:03 AM »
What a perfect word of the day that just arrived in my email after my watching the news for the past week...

Weltschmerz

Life got you down? If it comes from reflecting on the state of the world, at least you can give your ailment this name, a word on indefinite loan in English from German. Its components mean "world pain" and both have cognates in English: welt = world, schmerz = smart (the verb).

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #15610 on: August 01, 2015, 04:47:39 AM »
Yep, I am feeling "Wild Day" excitement in the air

For most of us our day is filled with meals, laundry, appointments, shopping, work, paying bills, gassing up the car, mowing, weekend cleanup, church, friends, volunteering, caring for partner/family, the cat or dog - some of these activities are written in our day planner but most are the ordinary responsibilities we mentally track as, the week's "to do".

Now the big question - Does anyone ever really schedule in their appointment calendar a set time to read, or write and post a chapter analysis, or does anyone schedule on a chalk board time for a Senior Learn discussion, or set an appointment for research time to find more background for the current story?

Or have you ever chucked it all and read for an entire afternoon or even a day? Have you ever sat down immediately to read a new book delivered or picked up from the library? Have you, as I have, binged for a day or more, reading more than one book, eating leftovers or heating up a bowl of soup.

“Voila!” - Our "Wild Days!"

Our "Wild Days" are all the unscheduled times we read and post on SeniorLearn and the times we binge read. All the time we do not schedule in our appointment book or even our mental 'to do' track. It's our Wheee time or me time!!??!! Our "Wild Days!"

We're excited about reading your stories that will capture and celebrate our golden "Wild Days". Starting on August 10 bring your ukulele, banjo, guitar, harmonica or just hum through an old tooth comb and tissue and sing outloud around our fire of memories in the discussion Our Wild Days; Creating the Good Life on SeniorLearn.

Steph

« Reply #15611 on: August 01, 2015, 08:30:55 AM »
Actually both Annapolis and West Point are beautiful, just in different ways, but Annapolis is easier to see..West Point made us get on buses and not wander at all. No way to see noon parade, etc. I was disappointed in that, but the cemetary at West Point is lovely for sure..
Never saw either of the two hospitals, so have no idea about them.

mabel1015j

« Reply #15612 on: August 01, 2015, 01:42:43 PM »
Well done Barb, makes me want to get started on the discussion. :-*

Jean

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #15613 on: August 01, 2015, 02:02:33 PM »
Yes it looks great!

Yesterday my DIL took my grandson to the library and she picked up an extra copy for me of a publication called Book Page. It's a wonderful big thing, as big as a magazine, full of enticing descriptions of upcoming books, etc., AND it's available by subscription or on Kindle for those who don't really live near a library.

Do those of you near a Library get this? It appears to be a national thing.

It's just FULL of books and descriptions and color illustrations and one of the first things I saw was the new Shirley Jackson (The Lottery, the Haunting of Hill House, Life Among the Savages) book, complied by her children of essays never published. It's in the column called Well Read and the title is Let me Tell You. The descriptions of the contents are awesome!

Here are more essays on raising her children which comprised several of her wonderful, Erma Bombeck kind of books, hilarious.  The review ends, "This collection is a delight" whether the reader is a new curious reader or an old fan.

It's not out yet but I can't wait to read it when it is and I appreciate getting notice of what's comiong.

And the magazine. ALL KINDS of new and delicious looking books! And it's free at the Library!

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #15614 on: August 01, 2015, 02:20:24 PM »
Do those of you near a Library get this? It appears to be a national thing.

Yes, our Library has it available free of charge to any patron who wants one.  It's in a holder on the circ desk and they'll leave last month's on the side in case you missed that one.  I always pick one up.  I love seeing what may be coming out by my favorite authors I don't get newsletters from.

Tomereader1

« Reply #15615 on: August 01, 2015, 02:33:10 PM »
Yeppers!  Book Page is available in all our branch libraries.  Free to patrons.  It comes out every month.  I enjoy it, but actually prefer my "Bookmarks" magazine, which is a subscription item. 
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

MaryPage

« Reply #15616 on: August 01, 2015, 02:51:33 PM »
I subscribe to BookMarks magazine, and give my old copies to my community book club.  I do not belong to the club, because I dislike such like.  Too much going over and over what an author meant when he/she wrote this, that and the other winds up driving me nuts.  I am just into hearing that someone liked a book or didn't, and what it is they liked or didn't.

Steph, I was lucky enough to LIVE at West Point for 4 years:  1934 to 1938.  We had quarters in a 4 bedroom all brick duplex right on the Hudson, and the view from my bedroom, which was on the front of the house facing the river and right over the garage, was spectacular.  In those days, the hills across the river were all forested.  We were only a block from what was then the North Gate.  Because we kids were considered perfectly safe, I had the complete run of the entire complex, fort, post, whatever.  I am pretty sure there were no buses for tourists.  They have added just one whole lot of buildings since I left there, and expanded the Corps a lot.  I think my great grandfather's class (1874) had less than 40 cadets, while I've forgotten how many hundreds were in daddy's class (1925), but now there are over a thousand in ONE CLASS! 

Frybabe

« Reply #15617 on: August 01, 2015, 04:30:16 PM »
We, too, get BookPage. The new issue just came out. I get their newsletters. http://bookpage.com/

Steph

« Reply #15618 on: August 02, 2015, 08:57:41 AM »
The library here gets it, but not my local in Clermont. I may get one here and see about donating some sort of subscription to my library in Clermont. I like it a lot since it has all types of books.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #15619 on: August 02, 2015, 09:07:24 AM »
Oh so many of you know about it! hahaha Why am I always the last to know anything? Shows you what I need to be doing. That's one reason why I come here to the Library, to see what's going on in the world of books.

I am not sure I like the Kindle version as well as the in print one. Lots and lots of great upcoming and new books for every taste, in both however. . I am really impressed with Book Page.

I do like  Bookmarks also. Their feature on us quite a while back sort of sealed that deal with me.

I also like the Daedalus catalog, their prices are wonderful, the shipping not so much. But their descriptions are really good.

Also the Bas Bleu. I get an awful lot of ideas from their reviews. They seem to sort of center on the older books, calmer books, books about villages, etc.

I saw that one of the Wolf Hall actors (can't remember who) is going to appear in a new version  of the Forsythe Saga. That is one book I simply could not get into, have any of you read it lately? I don't know how many times I have tried, maybe this year's the one.

I will say one thing for Hilary Mantel, she has me looking up no end of Norfolks and their recent descendants, etc. 

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #15620 on: August 02, 2015, 09:54:28 AM »
I read The Forsyte Saga eons ago, when the first TV series was made--1967--time flies.  I enjoyed it then, don't know what I'd think of it now.  It's a massive multigenerational family saga, pretty much a good quality soap opera, and the first few books are the best.  I didn't know they were making yet another version.  I think the '67 one was the best.  It featured the beautiful, elegant New Zealand actress Nyree Dawn Porter as Irene Forsyte.  I thought that would lead to an impressive career, but it didn't.

Ginny, I never heard of Book Page either.  It's probably sitting right out in plain sight in my library.  I don't dare subscribe to Bookmarks Magazine; it would tempt me to buy too many books, and I wouldn't be able to make myself pitch the old copies of the magazine.

MaryPage

« Reply #15621 on: August 02, 2015, 01:11:55 PM »
I read a huge number of John Galsworthy's books, and all of the Saga, eons and eons ago.  Actually, I loved them, every one.  I remember he captured me with the old aunts in the first of the Forsyte novels, and they were so great in the original film.  If they are making a new film or series, it will be the third time around IN MY LIFETIME!  I own the DVDs of the first two.  Originally, I had the first in videos, but then threw them out and got the DVDs.  I am just flat out enamoured of both series of films, and look forward to a new version to likewise enjoy and compare.  Fleur was quite a character, as well and all, and the last books in the series were pretty much all about her, as I recall.  One hates the younger Soames, but comes to rather like and accept him by the end of the books.

Steph

« Reply #15622 on: August 03, 2015, 08:37:15 AM »
I truly loved the original books and the tv adaptation of Forsythe Sage. I did laugh since my husband admitted to his one and only crush.. Nyree Dawn.. Oh me, he thought she was perfect and hinted that I should do my hair like that. I allowed as to how the hair would not change me into that pretty a female. The second time around, no, did not care for it, but I might try it again, just to see. I loved the original books, a great family saga..

marjifay

« Reply #15623 on: August 03, 2015, 11:20:30 AM »
Does anyone really keep a day planner?  I sure don't.  I don't worry about what I'll be doing each moment of the day.  Doing all that planning would take away from my reading time! And like new year's resolutions, they'd soon be forgotten or irnored.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

MaryPage

« Reply #15624 on: August 03, 2015, 12:11:28 PM »
I keep the calendar supplied by WORD here on my computer and one of those real office desktop type calendars with 2 facing pages for each day of the year.  I would not be able to function at all these days without my system of calendars, as I am so very forgetful.

marjifay

« Reply #15625 on: August 03, 2015, 12:25:17 PM »
MaryPage wrote "I am just into hearing that someone liked a book or didn't, and what it is they liked or didn't."

I'm with you, MaryPage, I get bored with all that analyzing of a book -- what did they mean by that word, sentence, etc. etc.  Ho hum.

Marj

Tomereader1

« Reply #15626 on: August 03, 2015, 01:04:34 PM »
That's one reason why my f2f, library book groups get along so well, and are still going after several years.  We read the book, the moderator (who volunteers to lead the discussion) gives info about the author, specifically, perhaps the physical setting, other pertinent info.  Then whoever wants to "go first" comments on what they liked, disliked, or on any other part of the book, or characters.  The discussion always seems to pass around the table evenly, and has often spurred input about other books on same subject, other books by same author, maybe even a movie relating to the book, subject, setting.  It is never contentious, and everyone is encouraged/allowed to speak their piece.  We just have a darn good time, we learn a lot and segue into other books, topics.  We have picked up a few new members, over the last couple of months, and they have been welcome additions to our group.  In the past, folks would come to ONE meeting and we'd never see them again.  Perhaps it was our loose interpretation of "book club" that ran them off.  We have never pretended to be a "book review group",  nor have we had just one person be the leader/moderator where his/her ideas were absolute.  This is probably more information than any of this group needed, but kind of goes along with comments by MaryPage and Marjifay.  Every comma, semi-colon, etc. does not need to be analyzed for our enjoyment of a book! 
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #15627 on: August 03, 2015, 01:39:23 PM »
Every book club is different - we have always from the beginning discussed a book as literature and it is probably why we have had so many of the authors of the book we discuss, join us  - most all the books we have discussed are in the archive - there are two archives - one, since we became Senior Learn and the older that is missing a few discussions when we were SeniorNet -

It is fascinating to browse through and read how the books were enjoyed and discussed - there is so much in a story that more information can be found to enrich the read but more, we have found there are so many different takes on a story because we all bring our own history to the story and it is that sharing within the structure of the story that is a challenge -

Our book discussion are as most of us studied in school, 8th grade and again as Juniors in High School, and have always been with attention to the literary principles which is more about gaining some new understanding about the text.

Plot - Character - Conflict - Theme  - Setting - Style  - Genre - Narrator Point of View - Mood - Tone

There are many book clubs that offer a different experience - this is the one that we have available to us here on SeniorLearn - and so we have lots of experiences to share as we begin to celebrate our 20 years of reading together.

Jonathan

« Reply #15628 on: August 03, 2015, 04:48:00 PM »
Is there anything that can surpass the reading experience. From ho hum to hey gee? Perhaps it's picking up a book that's been heavily marked by underlinings and marginal comments.

Can someone explain to me why The Palace Thief is getting so many views in the last several days, since being conluded. Almost two hundred in the last twenty-four hours, half a dozen in the last ten minutes. During the discussion it got more like fifty per day. Never have I read anything which offered more between the lines, with something different for everyone.

Congratulations, Ginny. It must be your beautiful, final summation.

Wild Days promises to be a great homecoming occasion. Barb, I'll never forget your response to my first post, fifteen years ago. Maybe I'll share it and maybe I won't.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #15629 on: August 03, 2015, 05:54:04 PM »
Oh shoot now you have me worried - whatever - goodness 15 years ago - holy hannah 15 YEARS ago - what in the world were we even reading I wonder.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #15630 on: August 03, 2015, 06:34:17 PM »
I'm laughing my head off.  I wasn't here 15 years ago, so I won't be able to spill the beans.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #15631 on: August 03, 2015, 09:22:47 PM »

Thank you Jonathan, how kind of you. Your provocative comments, always on point, were  a big part of that. Always a delight. 

Wow, you are right, that thing has gone up 1000 hits since I left it. ho hum indeed.

I didn't know you were watching the hits, that's so funny, I am somewhat obsessed with them,  myself.

Pat, I'm with you on Bookmarks, I can't throw any of them away.

Right on, Barbara, we will be  20 years old  in January.  Maybe that's a record for face to face book clubs, too. I wonder. Loved  your post.

MaryPage wrote "I am just into hearing that someone liked a book or didn't, and what it is they liked or didn't."
I'm with you, MaryPage, I get bored with all that analyzing of a book -- what did they mean by that word, sentence, etc. etc.  Ho hum.

Every comma, semi-colon, etc. does not need to be analyzed for our enjoyment of a book!

To each his own.

We are  proud of our in depth  book discussions here  and the people who have enough intelligence, skill, and courage to talk cordially  about the diverse elements in a book.

AUTHORS like how we discuss their  books in depth, (where else could most of us talk to a famous author? hmmm?)   They like (or so they say) that we take  the time and effort to look closely at what they wrote, commas and all.  We could literally fill the pages here with Author Testimonies alone. THEY like it, WE like it...

Everybody is entitled to his or her opinion, but we're very proud here of our record, our achievements, and our 20 year history. And the good we've done along the way. 

It's really been a good thing. Something to rejoice in. Because it has made a positive difference in many lives along the way, all out of one little in depth Book Club Online.

MaryPage

« Reply #15632 on: August 04, 2015, 01:12:38 AM »
Wonderful piece in the The Talk Of The Town section of the August 3 issue of The New Yorker.  Page 21.  Interesting stuff about Latin and its related tongues.

Frybabe

« Reply #15633 on: August 04, 2015, 06:49:53 AM »
A most interesting article, MaryPage. Reading about word and language origin used to interest me years ago. Unfortunately, I got away from it. It is still a fascinating subject though. I particularly noted the Very Old Latin form of reading from right to left, and the word "Boustrophedon" and its meaning, which I had never before run across.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boustrophedon Now, I may have to resurrect my Babylon 5 DVDs and check out Delenn's dictation.

Steph

« Reply #15634 on: August 04, 2015, 07:56:11 AM »
on Day timers, I keep a weekly that has each day , so I can keep ttrack of appointments, meetings, etc. That way when I decide todo things, I can make sure I am available. I make all my routine doctor appointments six months in advance, since I go away for such a long period of time and need a place to keep that sort of thing.
I like some of the book discussions, but I also don't like the " I know better than the author what they meant" sort of stuff.

MaryPage

« Reply #15635 on: August 04, 2015, 09:50:28 AM »
I wish rather desperately I could remember the author and the book, I only seem to remember it WAS a she.  But alas, I cannot.  I am pretty sure I can stipulate it was a popular book at the time, and we were all reading it on the old Senior Net.  And our leaders got the author to become aware of our discussion.  And she responded, and I can remember laughing my head off at one of her comments.  Mind, she was highly gratified that we were reading and discussing HER book and much of what she said showed that appreciation of us and enriched our reading experience.  The comment I laughed at, and dang it but I hate this old age obscuring of the details, as I can remember exactly where I was sitting at a computer and being so tickled, she said she had never previously known that she had meant all of the things that some of us were getting out of the story she had written!
Basically, that is what I mean about some book clubs.  I do not disparage the zeal of those who truly revel in digging and delving into all of the hidden meanings that may lurk on the pages of any given title, but I, too, went to school and took English Lit and other courses on every type and species of writing, and it is not within the compass of MY pleasure to expose me, myself, to that sort of dissection any longer.  It actually rather rains on my parade when what I want to do is celebrate an author I have loved or drop one who curdles my sensibilities in the dustbin.  Nope, school days are so over, and I am now dead bent on rejoicing in the treats offered me by those blessed with the gift of story telling.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #15636 on: August 04, 2015, 10:23:08 AM »
Hey wordlovers - do you know about A Word A Day?  Click here to get to the web site.  He posts a new word Monday/Friday.  If you subscribe to get it in your e-mail, you also get a weekend edition, with comments and limericks.  It's been up and running for ages, and guaranteed no spam or other stuff involved.  It's a daily check for me.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #15637 on: August 04, 2015, 11:20:40 AM »
MaryPage, could the discussion you're thinking of be The Jane Austen Book Club, by Karen Joy Fowler?

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #15638 on: August 04, 2015, 11:25:40 AM »
Frybabe, I used to know a little verse about Boustrophedon.  Unfortunately, I can't remember the second line.  It's funnier with all the lines.

I wrote in boustrophedon
------------------
And no one in all Britain
.nettirw dah I tahw daer dluoC

MaryPage

« Reply #15639 on: August 04, 2015, 11:46:52 AM »