Author Topic: The Library  (Read 2050009 times)

Frybabe

Re: The Library
« Reply #15840 on: August 30, 2015, 06:39:00 PM »

The Library
Our library cafe is open 24/7, the welcome mat is always out.
Do come in from daily chores and spend some time with us.

We look forward to hearing from you, about you and the books you are enjoying (or not).

Let the book talk begin here!

Mary, I'm sorry to hear about John's illness. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #15841 on: August 30, 2015, 10:30:38 PM »
Mary,  my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. So sorry you are having to go through this.

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #15842 on: August 30, 2015, 10:42:21 PM »
Mary's John passed away this evening, according to her blog.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #15843 on: August 31, 2015, 05:08:50 AM »
Oh dear. What sad news.   Thank you, jane.  I'm so sorry to hear that.

Mary,  I want to extend to you and your family {{{Hugs}}} and sympathy in your great loss. 

Steph

« Reply #15844 on: August 31, 2015, 09:02:02 AM »
Oh MaryZ, I am thinking of both of you and holding you close in my heart. Both of you are very dear to me and John made me laugh so hard in Nantahala.. He is a splendid human being and you are dear as well. If I can do anything at any time,just let me know..
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Steph

« Reply #15845 on: August 31, 2015, 09:02:48 AM »
I will email her as well. They were so looking forward to the Calgary trip.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #15846 on: August 31, 2015, 09:33:55 AM »
Oh, MaryZ, I'm sorry.  Take care of yourself now, so you have the strength to cope.  {{{{{{more hugs}}}}}}

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #15847 on: August 31, 2015, 09:48:25 AM »
Oh, Mary, I'm so sorry to hear the news.  Love and prayers.

bellamarie

« Reply #15848 on: August 31, 2015, 10:58:31 AM »
MaryZ, my heart goes out to you for the loss of your dear husband.  Prayers for comfort and strength to you and your loved ones through this difficult time. 
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

Frybabe

« Reply #15849 on: August 31, 2015, 11:23:47 AM »
My condolences, Mary, to you and your family.

CallieOK

« Reply #15850 on: August 31, 2015, 12:44:15 PM »
Mary,  my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

mabel1015j

« Reply #15851 on: August 31, 2015, 01:27:02 PM »
Mary - So sad to hear about John. I know you and your family can take comfort in the many happy memories you've all made together. Take care.

Jean

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #15852 on: August 31, 2015, 02:28:02 PM »
Mary so sorry - what a shock - from your blog it sound like John had shown so much courage - sending you prayers
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #15853 on: August 31, 2015, 10:00:37 PM »
Mary, I'm so sorry.  Blessings and hugs to you and your family.

salan

« Reply #15854 on: September 01, 2015, 06:51:28 AM »
Mary, I am so sorry.  I know how hard it is to lose a life time partner.  My thoughts & prayers are with you.  Sending you hugs.
Sally

Steph

« Reply #15855 on: September 01, 2015, 08:05:18 AM »
I have met John and  Mary and enjoyed them both so much. I know this is a hard time for her.

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #15856 on: September 01, 2015, 09:41:01 AM »
I, too have met Mary and John on several occasions, and I'm glad Sue could be there with her.

It's turning fall here in the upper midwest.  The leaves are changing already and dropping.  It's turned into a highs near 90 week after a week of real fall-like temps...lows in 40s and highs in low 70s.  Mother Nature seems to love to play this "summer...oops...fall----oops back to summer" temperature thing with us.

Anybody with big plans over the Labor Day weekend?  We don't....maybe just read on the back porch and let the traffic to and from the state parks north of us go by with their boats and RVs.

LarryHanna

« Reply #15857 on: September 01, 2015, 09:41:30 AM »
Mary, I also send my condolences to you and your family. 
LarryBIG BOX

bellamarie

« Reply #15858 on: September 01, 2015, 10:49:55 AM »
Pretty excited, my library is going to have the author Elzbieta Pawlicka-Frankowska who wrote Tears of Faith on Thursday.  A free event to meet her and listen to her.  I hope I will be able to get some pictures.

http://toledolibrary.org/frankowskidiary/

Title   Tears of Faith
Collection title   Memoirs of Elizabeth Frankowski
Creator   Pawlicka-Frankowska, Elzbieta, 1926-
Description   This work is a translation of the handwritten diary of Elzbieta Pawlicka-Frankowska. The diary (titled "Pamietnik&quot) was originally written in Polish in 1942 and later translated to English by the author. It chronicles her family's exile from Poland during World War II and their move to labor camps in Siberia. Elzbieta's father was killed when the Soviets invaded Poland. Her mother and siblings were forced to move to the North Ural area and work in a labor camp. Recorded in the diary are events that happened in the labor camp; stories of survival and hardships that the family faced; and later, a telling of how the family was moved to various locations and where they came to settle at the end of the interment. (In her adult years, Elzbieta Pawlicka-Frankowska, known in the United States as Elizabeth Pawlicki-Frankowski or Elizabeth Frankowski, has been a longtime resident of Toledo, Ohio.)
Topic   People
Subject   Diary
Labor camps
World War, 1939-1945 - Personal narratives
Poland - Social conditions - 1918-1945
Place   Siberia (Russia)
Time period   1940s
Provenance.Donor   Elizabeth Frankowski
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”

bellamarie

« Reply #15859 on: September 01, 2015, 10:56:48 AM »
Jane, my dogwood tree has orange, brown and red leaves on it, a sure sign the season is changing.  For Labor day we always have the family over for the last swim of the summer.  We are going to celebrate our two granddaughters birthdays on Labor day this year because with six grandchildren from ages 4 - 20 yrs old we just are finding it difficult to organize a day to get them all together on their special day.  The rest of the week is expected to be near 90 degrees, and yes, last week we barely hit 70's.  I do love these weeks where the weather changes and football season begins! 

Happy first day of September!

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #15860 on: September 01, 2015, 12:44:08 PM »
That looks very interesting, Bellamarie. I've always thought the invasion of Poland, that strafing from the air, was one of the most awful things I ever heard of. Let us know, if you go, how it was. It seems it might tie in with the Dead Wake discussion, too, coming in October, since it seems to cover social conditions in Poland at that time.

It's 96 here already today, I'll be happy to see  Fall. :)

I came in to say I started the book Station Eleven, and it's one of those books you can't put down. That you stay up till 1:00 am reading and then get up at 5 and read on. I could happily sit and read it all day. Thank you for bringing it to  our attention, Tome! It really IS a great read so far.

Love it, love the way she writes.

But I stopped it yesterday when cleaning out all the drawers in a guest bedroom, there was a LOT of STUFF in them I had long forgotten and lots of books (in clothes drawers? Books are taking over my house). And there was The Nanny Diaries by Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus which I have read 3 times before, gave another copy to my  Daughter in Law, and which was made into a movie.

The book is a large paperback but was  all bent up. I  opened it out of curiosity, remembering what a good read it was and got immediately caught up in it to the point that I've read half already, since last night,  laughed myself silly to the point I couldn't sleep, and enjoyed once again what it's like to be a Nanny to the pretentious rich and famous.

The two authors WERE nannies, but this is fiction and it's, so far, hilarious. Laugh out loud hilarious. It REALLY is funny.  So if you're looking for something to be  a day brightener, I can recommend this book wholeheartedly. I'm going to keep it so I can read it again and see what else they may have written.

Tomereader1

« Reply #15861 on: September 01, 2015, 01:29:40 PM »
Ginny, so very happy that you are enjoying "Station Eleven".  I hated to see it end.  This Thursday is our f2f book club, and we will be discussing it.  Don't know how we will manage to do that in an hour.  I will let you all know how it goes!  The author will be on the SMU campus later in the week for a talk, and I hope I can get there to hear her.
Later I will post about a book I am currently "slogging through", which has been on the NYT top ten list for several weeks (and I wonder how, and why?)
But that is another post if I should finish it.  I will say I HAVE to finish it, so I can find out if anything happens (that's how it is appearing to me).

The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #15862 on: September 01, 2015, 01:50:52 PM »
Ohhh Bellamarie and Pat - you just need to hear this - you were the cause for a raucous good time at the New World Cafe this morning - there was 6 of us - we get together every so often for brunch after the runners who stop in for breakfast are gone and on their way to work -  the usual who and what and so I bring up how y'all were talking 'dress code' - well the flood gates opened and we are sharing our embarrassing moments and how silly it all was, laughing at ourselves and talked as if we were partaking in a old and should be buried cultural phenomenon -- Till Carol sorta straightens up with coffee cup in hand and in a voice not soft and measured like Eisenhower or whinny like Churchill but like a determined MacArthur, 'I shall return' sorta voice says, 'Why that is no different than if your daughter and her mother-in-law stop by and the dishes are still in the sink" - well we lost it - it was so true and yet, so funny and said with such noble righteousness - we laughed till several of us had tears - coming away with more determination than ever to take pride in lounge wear and even get rid of the old stained Tshirts - so the coconut oil brigade left with new resolve for the ritual of self-care that uplifts us even if we are alone in our houses.   
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

bellamarie

« Reply #15863 on: September 01, 2015, 03:16:15 PM »
Barb,  I am laughing out loud reading your last post.  Since I have retired I have realized how many hours I spent doing housework over and over again, because it was expected of me.  NO MORE!  Loungewear, and dust bunnies have become a part of my daily life.  Oh the joys of finally livin, laughin and lovin life!  No excuses.

Ginny, I have got to go get The Nanny Diaries by Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus.  Owning my inhome daycare for 16 yrs., so many people have told me I need to write a book.  I expect it would be hilarious the stories I could tell.

I am for sure going to the library on Thursday to meet the author Elizabeth Frankowski, I will let you all know how it goes.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #15864 on: September 01, 2015, 04:06:04 PM »
And of course I just hit a sad part in the same Nanny book, I'll be interested to know what you think of it. 

Great on the author, it looks very interesting.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #15865 on: September 01, 2015, 06:22:28 PM »
Reserve your copy now at your local library of DEAD WAKE: the Last Crossing of the Lusitania by Erik Larson which we will begin discussing October 1st.  Copies of the book are still popular in libraries and are being requested daily. As Larson states "I discovered that buried in the muddled details of the affair was something simple and satisfying: a very good story."    You'll make the same discovery when you join us October lst.  Don't delay, request today!

bellamarie

« Reply #15866 on: September 01, 2015, 06:45:22 PM »
Ella, I just was able to borrow Dead Wake from my online library.  I am going to try renewing it before the expiration date so I can have it for October.  Thanks for letting us know to get it early. 

Couldn't find The Nanny Diaries online. 

Steph

« Reply #15867 on: September 02, 2015, 08:48:20 AM »
I remember the Nanny Diaries and laughed at it and was sad at the same time. It seems to me that they may have written something else? I just have this mental picture of a book saying if you liked the diaries, you will love this.
Oh, I am envioius. I would love to go listen to her. I just fowarded a facebook message about the woman in WWII who smuggled babies in the bottom of her tool box out of the ghetto.. and how she was nominated for the Peace Prize the year that Al gore won it for basically a slide program..

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #15868 on: September 02, 2015, 04:08:21 PM »
Yes, it is. It's hysterically funny at first and poignant and telling at the end, it's a good book. You care about the characters  and there are characters of all generations. I particularly liked the portrayal of the protagonist's grandmother, a sort of Auntie Mame character, full of life.

And yes, there is a sequel to the book itself and many other books the two women have written. I recall that the sequel did not quite reach the heights the first book did, but since it answers the question of what happened to Greyer, it's worth it.

And I have sat, myself, at the Wolman Rink in NYC and watched the children there with their nannies and there's no doubt that a lot of what they are saying in the book is true.  It's a good read.

Steph

« Reply #15869 on: September 03, 2015, 08:46:12 AM »
our f2f book club met yesterday.. Some of them adored the Edward Abbey, Desert Solitaire, I disliked it. It was written when he was young ,, so is full of pronouncements on his views of everything with no grey, all black and white. Some of the desert descriptions are nice though. next two weeks is Ron Rash.. his first book and I am told he is local, so hope to like it..
Actually I am deep in C.F. Sansom...Dissolution and love it.. Ginny, this is one of Cromwells men who helped with breaking up the abbeys and in this first book is investigating a murder.. Really  neat in that it talks a lot about how the ordinary people were trying to handle Henry VIII and his throwing them into a quite new religion.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #15870 on: September 03, 2015, 01:51:39 PM »
Oh it does sound interesting, Steph, thank you for recommending it. I also started Man on a Donkey and I can see what all the shouting is about. I'm afraid for now the McCullough Grass Crown is having to take a back seat, it's VERY well written, however.

I finished The  Nanny Diaries and now am waiting for the sequel to come and back to reading Station Eleven which is wonderful. It's so hard when you've  finished an engrossing book, to find another and I'm so glad I have had  both  of those nearby to take up the void left by Bring up the Bodies, and Wolf Hall.

I like Mantel, I'm always having to look up words. She has Henry VIII saying  "I will in no wise.." have his daughter Mary married out of the country, and I  couldn't find a definition for wise used in that context but it's in the OED, which is online, and very interesting. It's now archaic, but I like it a lot.

I saw a film of Hilary Mantel (Wolf Hall) on the internet having received an award from the Queen, DBE  Dame of the British Empire,  and she said she hopes there will be a third Masterpiece to go along with the sequel as soon as she can get it down on paper, apparently it's in her head.

Agatha Christie used to do that, she'd talk out-loud all of the characters so they sounded authentic.

Damien Lewis (Henry  VIII) also  got an OBE.

Well that's 5 really good books for me this summer. In a row, which is very unusual, counting Us which has just made it to this country apparently but is all over Europe. Good book.

What's everybody reading?

Tomereader1

« Reply #15871 on: September 03, 2015, 03:33:40 PM »
BOOK REVIEW – 9-3-15- by J. McIntyre
At or near the top of the NYT Best Seller List for several weeks, “The Girl On The Train” by Paula Hawkins seemed to be a shoo-in for my next favorite thriller.  One of the cover blurbs did give me pause when it made a vague comparison to “Gone Girl”.  But what could go wrong when a young woman travelling on a commuter train every day spots a couple on their deck and in their back garden.  She gives them names and fantasizes about their lives,   while her life couldn’t be less perfect.  Nor the lives of those, once or soon to be, close to her.
The narration switches between our commuter Rachel; the female half of the “perfect” couple, Megan, and the woman who has effectively usurped Rachel’s life and happiness, Anna.  No wonder then that Rachel is suffering from depression and alcoholism with accompanying blackouts.
While I waded through the first 51 pages, knowing something had to “happen”, the author is intent on weaving back-stories into the narration, exposing the characters, warts and all, until the reader’s “who really cares about these people” sets in and it becomes do or die…finish the book and find out who done it, or slam the covers closed and let them stew in their own stagnated half-lives.  I finished the book.
jm
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #15872 on: September 03, 2015, 04:30:38 PM »
Reading between my battle with the fruit flies - shoot I did it myself - had a sack of lemons about to turn in the frig and decided to use them as dish detergent and to clean my butcher block and open one as a frig deodorant and throw slices in with the laundry - well you guess it - and now that we are in the mid-nineties I turned up the AC a notch so the house is ripe - well the lemons are just going to have to do double duty as I find some more old jars that I half fill with water - float the cut lemon and a tad of sugar and a tad of dish-washing detergent - unfortunately the one jar had lemon on the outside so I had to wash the outside and dry it to get them to land inside rather than covering the outside of the jar. As Mom would say, Best laid plans...

Anyhow I seem to have more books going than usual and more on the way - never did read Gone Girl Tomereader but then I do not often read a mystery so that may be why - I do like the cozies as a quick break with ol' Agatha Raisin being my favorite with Hamish not far behind.

A rash of decent sounding books here of late, in addition to have attended a few seminars that opened my eyes to worlds about water I never dreamed existed. Like, do you know there are analysts to determine which water districts are good investments - of course it took me a minute they had to be financed and I never realized they had to attract investors from near and far - it is not local taxes that keep us and our shorelines healthy. So I am reading Sharing the Common Pool by Charles R. Porter, who I know and who lives here in Central Texas and used to be a well respected Real Estate Broker till water called him. Haven't started it yet, however, extending my curiosity is Elixir: A History of Water and Humankind by Brian Fagan and of course the book that is blowing me away that we are reading together this month For Love of Lakes by Darby Nelson.

I started Every Fifteen Minutes by Lisa Scotteline which was not nearly as good a read as her interview on the Tavis Smiley show so I have set it aside for now - I must say as a result of that interview I did pick up and find very interesting The Sociopath Next Door by Martha Stout ph.d. - a rather easy read and what an eye opener - did you know 4% of the population are narcissistic to the point of being sociopaths which is higher than the over 3% with eating disorders - both overweight and bulimic - who knew?

After that bit I needed some fluff and so it was The PMS Club by Carolyn Brown, who you can always depend on for a bit of 'girl' philosophy in a contemporary setting and a good happy-ever-after ending that you can read in a night or two nights max.

Not finished yet, but oh oh oh - we should all read - No Good Men Among the Living, America, The Taliban, And the War Through the Afghan Eyes by Anand Gopal - it goes back to when we assisted the Afghan people against the Russians through to 2014 and the best we could say is that we bungled things over and over - even early on printing school books where there were none that included aspects of jihad that had been buried and now brought back to light as a call to action for these young school age Afghans when they grew into teens and manhood. The book depicts the good and the bad and NO ONE has clean hands while those we would like to blame as being dirty were often depicted as dirty to cover other political war games - Much of the story is told through the eyes of an educated woman, Heela from a family of journalists and professionals, a graduate of Kabul University - like an old time journalist the story is simply told without editorializing - so it is hard to blame or take sides - it is like a bad dream that unfolded.

I finished, Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris - with all the hype I was not impressed - not a keeper.

Just arrived - in fact today - the Station Eleven we are hearing about here on Senior Learn, Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami for my next Murakami F2F meetup in October and By the Lake by John McGahern because of the pre-discussion question, what novels have you read that take place near a lake and all I could think of was the old Walter Scott, The Lady in the Lake plus, I love just about anything written by the Irish.

And finally - again - one thing leads to another - as a result of reading Kristin Lavransdatter along with my grandson spending time in Hamburg Germany this summer, I learned how the Vikings intermingled with the Saxons and shared the same religion till Christianity came along - after reading The Saxon Savior by G Ronald Murphy S.J. and learning to my astonishment, long before any translation of the Bible, other than to Latin, the Saxons had a translation that changed some of the stories to better fit the northern mindset and climate. It appears that the Norwegian Christians would have had to have a copy of the Heliand written in the Ninth century - some of the changes used when writing the northern bible are with us today -

The majority of the Saxons resisted converting. They would promise - keep the promise for maybe 3 years and then back to war this went on and on and on - their religion, like the Scandinavian religion was based on the concept there was a great tree that held up the earth and from it all things grew. (during this time on into the Renaissance many thought the earth was held up by 4 trees and the sky was a bowl that leaked, so the fear was that it would crack open and drown everyone - as explained in The Mighty Acts of God by Robert J. Marshall)

Reading again, how St. Bernard comes along and chops down their sacred tree, this time reading as an adult I was appalled - could just imagine some group coming in and chopping up an alter today and saying we had to change to their religion - in fact I think that is essentially what ISIS is doing in the Middle East - so I want to learn more about the Saxons - not the version Hitler ransacked for his glory but who were these people and how did they and the Vikings mix etc. so I've started with The Saxon Chronicle Volume I by Swan which starts off in the year 782 A.D.

As of now I have a book in just about every room - reminds me of being a kid when there were books started all over the house and always one on the back covered porch to grab on the way to whatever, including reading while walking to the store.   

mabel1015j

« Reply #15873 on: September 03, 2015, 04:37:09 PM »
Going to the library book discussion on A Tree Grows in Brooklyn tonight. I'll give you a report and my take tomorrow. Do any of you remember it?

Jean

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #15874 on: September 03, 2015, 04:41:57 PM »
Yes and also remember seeing the movie with my family when I was a kid - some of the story reminded my father of his childhood and it was the fist time I ever saw tears in his eye - the Christmas tree throw evidently was similar to receiving gifts late Christmas eve from the local merchant of things he would not be able to sell after Christmas and so the kids scrambled and caught what they could - my father was born in 1900.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #15875 on: September 04, 2015, 08:06:28 AM »
Barbara, I love this: As of now I have a book in just about every room - reminds me of being a kid when there were books started all over the house and always one on the back covered porch to grab on the way to whatever, including reading while walking to the store.

Yep. :) I don't think we have any room in this house without a book. ANY hahahaa  That's quite a list you've got going there. I read somewhere that a lemon keeps longer in a zip lock bag in the fridge than it does anywhere else stored any other way. I think that's interesting, it seems to work for me. We're swatting fruit flies ourselves, I feel like...was it Mendel and the fruit flies?

I started Nanny Returns last night and it's again not the caliber of the first one but I want to know what happened to Grayer so am reading on. Apparently from what I read last night, nothing good so far.

It appears that these ladies wrote  Citizen Girl which has a lot of good reviews, so I may add that next. It looks interesting.

On the Girl on a Train I am in sympathy with that review, Tome. I simply have had the HARDEST  time getting into the thing. Sometimes that type of book really pays off, but this time I am really slogging thru. I think I must put it down for a while for greener more readable pastures. When you have to force yourself to read something that others love but which is a real slog to you for whatever reason it might be better in my case to put it off and try later.

What did they have to say about Station Eleven, Tome? I note they are having a ton of background programs about some topics  in the book at the library.

Jean I would be interested to hear  how A Tree Grows in Brooklyn looks to the eyes of somebody our age. I once thought it, and Marjorie Morninstar were the be all and end all of books. You can see by the Marjorie Morningstar title how old I was. NOW? I'm not sure  on either. Like Strawberry Girl, perhaps, best confined to one's youth? Or?

I was startled the other day, speaking of Dead Wake, to hear singing in one of the old movies my husband likes to watch on TV, and it was the ditty about the Titanic.  They sang a couple of verses in some old movie and I thought I was the only one who knew the words to that thing, we used to sing it around the campfire at girl scout camp. My husband was shocked I knew the song. At one time I knew all the verses, now I can only recall about three  but they are bad enough.  Any of you know the song?

Steph

« Reply #15876 on: September 04, 2015, 08:47:35 AM »
I still Love A tree Grows... She rang chimes inmy heart as a teen and Marjorie too of course. i think some books stay in your heart forever. So would love to hear about the discussion.
Girl on the train.. have not gotten it, just not sure how I feel, since I hated Gone Girl.
Still struggling with my iphone5S.. whew.. learning curves gets higher when you age.

Tomereader1

« Reply #15877 on: September 04, 2015, 09:09:44 AM »
What did they have to say about Station Eleven, Tome? I note they are having a ton of background programs about some topics  in the book at the library.
Ginny, the f2f group met last night, and we had a good turn out, all our regulars and one new person.  The discussion was led by a lady from our Main Library.  She has attended some or most of the discussions held previously, at different sites, with guest speakers on epidemiology, disaster preparedness, etc.  Quite frankly, she posed only one or two questions, and in essence, our group handled the discussion professionally.  All participated, and only two did not like the book, for various personal reasons.

André Maurois

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #15878 on: September 04, 2015, 10:02:36 AM »
Ginny:

Oh, it was sad,
It was sad,
It was sad when the great ship went down
To
   the
        bottom
                oh
Husbands and wives,
Itty bitty children lost their lives,
It was sad when the great ship went down.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #15879 on: September 04, 2015, 10:14:18 AM »
Pat I have a feeling this poem was not meant to be poignant - confused - with the news of the man loosing his family while attempting to get to Europe it was sad.