Author Topic: The Library  (Read 2049456 times)

Frybabe

Re: The Library
« Reply #17320 on: August 27, 2016, 03:36:01 PM »

The Library
Our library cafe is open 24/7, the welcome mat is always out.
Do come in from daily chores and spend some time with us.

We look forward to hearing from you, about you and the books you are enjoying (or not).

Let the book talk begin here!

I am about a third of the way through The Daughter of Time. It is much more interesting than I expected.

Now Ms. Tey has me interested in getting a hold of Sir Thomas More's biography of Richard III. Through her character she brings up the poses the thought that More's reputed integrity is tarnished by what appears to be the use of back-stairs gossip regarding Richard's inability to sleep well. More attributes this insomnia to his guilt over his heinous deeds which include having the two little princes killed. If Richard didn't tell More of his sleeplessness, then it follows that More was privy to insider gossip.

Ms. Tey also reinforces through her main character how history can be, and often is, bent and distorted by those who tell it.

I was surprised to note that this is not a "new" book, as I thought, but was originally copyrighted in 1951.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #17321 on: August 27, 2016, 07:23:41 PM »
Frybabe, I'll be interested, after you finish the book, in knowing what you think of the order in which the young man uncovers the evidence for Richard's story.

Frybabe

« Reply #17322 on: August 28, 2016, 06:09:19 AM »
Well, it seems I don' want More's Richard at all; I want John Morton's account. It seems that the Richard III biography, found among More's papers after his execution, was not published until after his execution. There is some question whether or not he actually wrote it or if it was a copy of a pre-publication manuscript written by Morton for More's review.  Morton despised Richard, so his account is likely biased to say the least.

I just had to look up Tonypandy since it is in Glamorgan.  It is about 5 miles away from my mom's birthplace by crow, farther by car I am sure. Instead of going on up A470 to Merthyr Tydfil, you hang a left at Pontyprid (birth place of Tom Jones). I am going to look up the 1910 strike. I think that sometimes we forget, while reading history, that "...blowing up a simple affair to huge proportions for a political end" is nothing new. We seem to be inundated with that right now. The comment by the character Carradine, "Truth isn't written in accounts but in account books" I like that. To get at a truer vision of history you need to look at everyday paper trails: bills and accounting journals, letters, diaries, and the like. Forensic Accounting as an occupation just went up a notch. I wonder when it became important to biographers to do that.

I am still having electronic problems. This time my laptop seems dropping connection to sites the last two days while my Kindle Fire, for the last two weeks or so, is now using a French dictionary rather than English. I have no clue how to fix the latter or why it all of a sudden decided I want my posts translated into French. The connection problem, according to the Windows troubleshooter, is that the net doesn't see a valid IP address for me. I wonder how that could have happened. Well, it is MS after all.  ::)

bellamarie

« Reply #17323 on: August 28, 2016, 09:00:35 AM »
Frybabe,  I had the same problem, my language changed, and I had to go to my internet settings and change the language back to English.  It took me awhile to figure it out but got it!  I Googled it, and it seems other people experienced the same issue. 
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #17324 on: August 28, 2016, 09:34:07 AM »
You're being haunted, Frybabe, by the Ghost of Richard. :)

It's interesting how many times that book comes up, isn't it a super read, tho? Makes me almost want to reread it.

That whole period is fascinating. I had no idea there were so many books out on Elizabeth of York, wife of Henry VII. I actually know nothing about her, that seems an omission I should correct. I wonder which is the best of the MANY books on her?

Certainly Richard III is a great example of "revisionist" history. There's so much of that today, but  who can you trust? I just read Mary Beards (ironically enough) take on  Suetonius vis a vis what used to be thought (and taught), she's seeing him in a new light. Somewhat.

Thomas More himself is the latest example of Revisionist History in Hilary Mantel's book Wolf Hall, (as was Thomas Cromwell),  but is that revision accurate? Here's an interesting article on the subject:

Thomas More is the villain of Wolf Hall. But is he getting a raw deal?

Bellamarie, what a good idea, thank you! I don't have a selfie stick and went looking for one on Amazon, and there was one with a tripod which adjusts, only 8 dollars, delivered tomorrow free! What more can one ask? I appreciate the suggestion! May open a new era, who knows? hahahaa More proof that Amazon is going to take over the world.

Speaking of which, I saw last week a Sure Sign that the Apocalypse is Upon Us: Truman Capote's ashes are up for auction. Just when you think you've seen it all, voila!

Still enjoying the Woman in Cabin 10, I keep putting it down to prolong the experience, what a strange photo of her on the back flap, where IS she? Anybody have a clue who has seen the book where she is standing? Or why?

And Ladies of the Club came, isn't it a whopper? That's a good promise of sinking into a good read, can't wait to start it, but ahead of it on the pile is Helen  Simonson's (Major Pettigrew's Last Stand author) new book The Summer Before the War. Am in the mood for Sussex, in fact, I'm ashamed to admit, I'm so in the mood, I was  even to the point of trying one of the new Major Benjy (of Mapp and Lucia fame)  sequels somebody has written, and that's pretty bad.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #17325 on: August 28, 2016, 09:52:58 AM »
On the issue of Historical Fiction, that link has a wonderful quote by  Diarmaid MacCulloch, professor of church history at Oxford University  “It is not a battle between fiction and history. It is a conversation." I like that quote. Far  too many people take any book of historical "fiction," (called that for a reason) as gospel, without trying as Frybabe does to look further for the truth. If the truth is obtainable. (A perfect example is Dictator by  Robert Harris).

MacCulloch admits that his own perception of  Cromwell (about whom he is writing a Biography) was influenced by his late mentor, "MacCulloch admits he takes much of his understanding of the relationship between More and Cromwell from the late eminent Tudor scholar Sir Geoffrey Elton, once his doctoral supervisor at Cambridge."

I also loved this quote by More, and think it speaks to our political situation today:  “If honour were profitable, everybody would be honourable.”

Frybabe

« Reply #17326 on: August 28, 2016, 10:18:02 AM »
Thanks Bellamarie, I managed to fix it for now. The weird thing is that my language in the settings, both on the website and the device itself, say English. What I ended up doing that seemed to work is to select French and then go back and select English.

Ginny, I haven't watched any of the Wolf Hall series. As for More being a villain or a saint, I suspect that it is a little of both - for all of us.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #17327 on: August 28, 2016, 12:41:24 PM »
I lost all sympathy for Sir Thomas More in fourth grade when my history book said that he always got up the moment he woke, and "couldn't understand how anyone could lie lazily in bed once awake".

My criteria for judging historical figures have broadened since then. ;)

bellamarie

« Reply #17328 on: August 28, 2016, 01:32:15 PM »
Ginny, so glad you found a tripod selfie stick!  Yes, indeed it will be interesting to own it.  My hubby and I were cracking up trying to take our pic together.  Oh the little things in life that can make you laugh.....

Frybabe, Yes, I too had to click the foreign language and then back to English.  I have NO idea how it got out of whack but since I was able to get it back I have never had a problem with it again. 

PatH.,  I laughed out loud with your measuring stick in 4th grade, of Sir Thomas More.  Glad to hear you have broadened yourself through the years.

I am truly loving ".....And Ladies of the Club"  It is a real treat.  Oh how it is so similar with today's political arena.  They have just discussed why on earth did they fight the Civil War if not to free the Negroes and give them their right to vote.  One soldier responded "To save the country.  To stop its being torn limb from limb.  To keep the flag flying over the whole of it."  They are all looking forward to General Grant being elected and state, "When General Grant is president, the country will be safe and at peace and united again?"  And then this statement just jumped right out of my book at me...."That's why, when Dock says 'God Knows,' like he did, it sounds as if he thought the war hadn't been worth fighting, when it's only he doubts whether the country has been saved, in spite of all the bloodshed, because those of its saviors who have been governing it haven't been so very wise."

This is back in 1868, and here we are in 2016, almost one-hundred and fifty years later, and saying the same things just months before a very racially charged election in November.  Congress has the lowest trust rating in history, or maybe not, but still as the statement above said, "haven't been so very wise." One thing I have learned through reading the Old Testament and the New Testament in the Bible, and reading books as far back as the 19th Century, nothing really changes much with politics, religion, and power.  There are changes in Presidents, Leaders, Kings, etc., but the bottom line is, they all govern for control of power of the people.  We look back and see how far we have come with the emancipation proclamation, the women's suffrage, and the 14th amendment to the constitution, yet today, still candidates debating these issues so many years later, still the two major parties attacking each other and not necessarily putting the will or good of the people first.  It could make your head spin!
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #17329 on: August 28, 2016, 07:54:34 PM »
This is AdoAnnie's post.  She was haveing problems with moving things on her iPhone, so I moved it for her.

I am reading a new Masie Dobbs book entitled "Journey to Munich" which takes place in 1941 during WWII and quite exciting. Author is Jacqueline Winspear.  At the same time, am listening to "Mrs. Roosevelt's Confidant" by Susan Elia ??????.  Her main character is Maggie Hope who is a spy for the British and Winston Churchill during WWII in 1942.  Both of these books are from a series and I am enjoying reading about women who served their country during WWII. 
I don' know if anyone here watched Blechley Hall on PBS a few years ago but it was more stories about women serving their country during the war.  At one time, when we were on SeniorNet, we had a poster from Canada who helped break an important German code during WWII.  She was most interesting to talk (post) with.  Anyway, I thought I'd mention these two series.  The writing is well done and fun to read.  Enjoy!!!😋😋😋

bellamarie

« Reply #17330 on: August 29, 2016, 10:57:57 AM »
PatH.,  So nice of you to help out Annie and so good to hear from her.  Like you, Annie, I am fascinated with reading how women were active in so many ways during the wars.  Thanks for the mention of the books I may go in search for them.

Frybabe

« Reply #17331 on: August 29, 2016, 04:36:43 PM »
From one of my book emails, Quiz: Which Of King Henry VIII’s Wives Would You Be?

http://glommable.com/quiz-king-henry-viii-wives/?cp_type=en250l&rmid=20160829_TheNovellist_Aug&rrid=8613437

I got to be Kathryn of Aragon.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #17332 on: August 29, 2016, 05:01:43 PM »
Thanks PatH for moving my post to here.💕😍

The name of the author of the book about Mrs. Roosevelt is Susan Elia MacNeal.

And the PBS show was named Bletchley Hall not park.

Read another good mystery thriller over the weekend by James Patterson and Mark Sullivan. About a security company that is hired by Rio De Janeiro for the World Cup soccer games in 2014 and the 2016 Olympics.  This is also from a series called Private.  Another good read.
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

Tomereader1

« Reply #17333 on: August 29, 2016, 05:21:03 PM »
Try "The Bletchley Circle"
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #17334 on: August 29, 2016, 06:16:27 PM »
That would be Bletchley Park!  😋
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #17335 on: August 29, 2016, 06:18:13 PM »
Tomereader, I think you might  be right!😋😋

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #17336 on: August 29, 2016, 06:20:15 PM »
Well, I wanted to be Anne of Cleves, because Henry took one look at her, didn't like what he saw, and sent her back, so she didn't actually have to stay married to that jerk.  But they say I'm Anne Boleyn.  Some of the questions didn't have any answers that were good fits, though.

Did you notice the portraits?  They look like they all started with the same generic gentlewoman face, and edged toward what the woman really looked like, but didn't get all the way to a real likeness.  Anne Boleyn looks the most like a real person, but she has the same nose.  Catherine of Aragon looks rather self-sufficient, Anne of Cleves looks a bit puffy and jowly, and with Kateryn Parr, the artist has shrunk the nose to a button nose, and given her a smaller, pinched mouth, and a wary look in the eyes.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #17337 on: August 29, 2016, 06:33:34 PM »
So cute, Frybabe! Phooey, I wanted to be Anne of Cleves, too, who became his "sister," no such luck.Not enough choices, especially on the children, color of eyes,  etc., so I ended up Catherine  of Aragon,  too.

Could be worse, she was pretty when young but strong when old, if you can call 51 old.  Considering her life, I guess it was.

The BBC says of this period: " Average life expectancy was 38 years and 30 per cent of children died before the age of ten...."  http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british/tudors/human_reformation_01.shtml 

bellamarie

« Reply #17338 on: August 29, 2016, 06:45:27 PM »
I got.......... Katherine of Aragon,  "You were a fiery broad, and I respect that. Even though Henry got his way in the end, you gave him a run for his money. #respect"

My hubby would agree!    ;)  ;)

Tomereader1

« Reply #17339 on: August 29, 2016, 08:30:59 PM »
Unfortunately, I got Anne Boleyn!
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Frybabe

« Reply #17340 on: August 30, 2016, 07:38:46 AM »
Do we have a book selection for September yet?

bellamarie

« Reply #17341 on: August 30, 2016, 09:59:59 AM »
I was wondering the same thing. I haven't heard anything.  We are doing Shakespeare's daily sonnets but no book discussions.  We have a lot of books being mentioned that members are reading that sound like they would be great to discuss.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #17342 on: August 30, 2016, 11:09:17 AM »
Me? Katherine of Aragon! Hahaha!😋🤓😋🤓💕

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #17343 on: August 30, 2016, 12:17:00 PM »
Starting mid September, we'll be talking about Two Old Women: An Alaska Legend of Betrayal, Courage, and Survival by Velma Wallis.

"In her old women, she [Velma Wallis] has created two heroines of steely determination whose story of betrayal, friendship, community, and forgiveness "speaks straight to the heart with clarity, sweetness, and wisdom" (Ursula K. Le Guin).

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #17344 on: August 30, 2016, 05:54:07 PM »
Well with that author recommending it, it must be great!  That sounds wonderful,  Marcie, thank you for letting us know.

I came in to say I just finished The Woman in Cabin 10 and it is absolutely wonderful.   I didn't want to finish it,  I was enjoying the characters, in fact tried not to finish it, but by the time you get to the last third of the book you can't put it down, and you can't imagine  what's coming.    I have never..... I have no trouble seeing why it's on the bestseller lists!    Terrific read!   (Language might be a little rough for some in places).

Extremely clever author.

Don't let anybody spoil it for you by telling you what happens.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #17345 on: August 30, 2016, 07:02:31 PM »
Followed your link marcie to Amazon and found a wonderful description of the author at the bottom of the Amazon page - quite a woman - sounds like there is something in this story for all of us with the story hitting on various themes. Looking forward to our discussion...
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Frybabe

« Reply #17346 on: September 01, 2016, 01:28:23 PM »
In October our library F2F book discussion group is going to be discussing The Invisible Library by Genevieve Cogman. This is the first of a series that sounds very much like a fantasy/mystery. The second is The Masked City and the third, which will be out in January, is called The Burning Page. I am hoping to like this series as much as I like Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series.

While checking into the above, I noticed that Rachel Caine also has a series out centered on books and libraries. Her offering, so far, is Ink and Bone and Paper and Fire in her The Great Library series. It appears to be much more sinister than Cogman's series. Amazon lists them for Teens as SciFi/Dystopian or Action and Adventure.

bellamarie

« Reply #17347 on: September 01, 2016, 05:10:39 PM »
I saw this on my Facebook today:

11 Delightful Tales Set in Our Favorite Place—Bookstores! - See more at: http://offtheshelf.com/2015/12/12-delightful-tales-set-in-our-favorite-place-bookstores/#sthash.JrIw1OqH.5K54hQWn.dpuf

I love to read books that take place in bookstores.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #17348 on: September 02, 2016, 11:19:07 PM »
Please those who enjoy reading the writing of women before they were recognized as worthy - there is a book that I would love to read and the lest expensive is $80 - Amazon does not have a copy and the one on eBay is $113

The author is a young woman no longer with the university in Manchester and this site says you can ask her to upload a copy of the book - would you please consider requesting she do that - it is easy - just a bunch of clicks and register with your facebook account - the book is

Flesh and Spirit: An anthology of seventeenth-century women's writing (Texts in Culture) by Rachel Adcock

and here is the page where we can ask her to upload a PDF of the book - I went back to the beginning which is to click on the second book that takes you to a page that suggests you ask her and then you register and then one more page where you hit the button that automatically registers the request .

https://www.academia.edu/26903556/Flesh_and_Spirit_An_Anthology_of_Seventeenth-Century_Womens_Writing

“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

bellamarie

« Reply #17349 on: September 03, 2016, 12:23:38 AM »
I sent the request for her to send me the book to upload.  Thanks for the heads up on this Barb. 

I was going to read a book called Light Between the Ocean before the movie was released, but every time the library had my copy they emailed me instead of calling as I requested, so I did not get the book yet.  I went to see the movie today and it was absolutely wonderful!  Now I'm not sure if I want to read the book, although I know movies leave out parts of the book due to time.  I would recommend the movie for sure.

Winchesterlady

« Reply #17350 on: September 03, 2016, 10:44:40 AM »
bellamarie, I read the ‘The Light Between Oceans’ by M.L. Stedman last year and it is one of the best books I've read. I haven't seen the movie but will definitely buy it when it comes out on DVD.  You might want to give the book a try. It's beautifully written.
~ Carol ~

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #17351 on: September 04, 2016, 10:20:55 AM »
 Speaking of Books and Movies, I'm eagerly awaiting A Hologram,  for the King with Tom Hanks,  as I did enjoy the book.  Even tho I have heard the movie is not that good, it's on Netflix with a short wait, so I hope it comes soon.

Further speaking of Books and Movies, I'm well into my little project of Bleak House. After watching the first 2 DVD's, I started over and am reading it in the original chapter divisions and then watching  the movie,  too.  I find, having seen the movie again but this time doing the companion reading of the book, that the book is a revelation. The book explains things that the movie deliberately left out. It's a case of filmmaker's art versus the original.  I'm now not using the movie to explain the book but to paint its own picture of the same characters (which are now indelible with those actors:  wonderful portrayals )  and letting the book inform my opinion of what's going on, as it's clear as a bell now. I'm also finding some "suspicious" stuff in the movie and I wonder if it's in the book, as I'm not there yet. Lady Dedlock at the cemetery echoes Dickens's Scrooge and one of the Ghosts of the Christmas Carol. I thought for a minute I was in the wrong movie. :) I am anxious to see if this is filmmaker's choice, (they appear to be doing a lot of it),  OR if Dickens himself repeated it.  The book is better than a soap opera; but then, nobody writes like Dickens.

I'm also still reading an Arthur  C. Clarke story a day, and enjoying the somewhat eerie changes of atmosphere between the two.  And I finally found the new Simonson, (of Major Pettigrew fame), The Summer Before the War,  so it's looks a fitting end to  a glorious summer of great reading. I hate to see it end, but our enrollment in the Latin is stratospheric and I have a feeling the "pleasure reading" is drawing to a close. :)

I've heard a lot about the Light Between the Oceans, suddenly there are a LOT of good books out there, aren't there? Great time to be a reader.

The Smithsonian, however, reports that  one in ...is it 4 Americans did not read a single  book last year?    Do I have that right? How can that be?  The over 65s if I read THAT right,  held up our end in reading, anyway.   There are other startling facts as well.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/one-four-americans-didnt-read-book-last-year-180960340/

Think about that.

Mkaren557

• BooksDL
« Reply #17352 on: September 04, 2016, 11:53:45 AM »
In addition to my Latin class starting, I am taking a class at the local senior college on Jane Austen;  I am reading Emma now and will read Pride and Prejudice later.  This has reminded me how much I love reading and studying about the Victorians, early to late.  As part of an independent study for my masters,  I read 11 Victorian novels during my 11 week summer vacation.  I always wanted to teach a course like Victorian Studies at the high school level, but in order to meet "standards" there was no room in the curriculum for this.  Anyway, as part of that I read Bleak House.  Ginny, I love your method for reading Bleak House and am going to reread the text and use it.  i am so happy in my retirement going "where the spirit moves me" in what I study and read.  However as soon as my steroid injection helps heal my sciatica, I do need to put physical activity into my daily routine.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #17353 on: September 04, 2016, 07:39:04 PM »
Karen, what were the other 10 Victorian novels?

Obviously, you could have had fun if you had joined us a few years sooner.  We discussed most of the Jane Austen novels here, and a number of Victorian novels too: Dickens--Bleak House, Edwin Drood, Great Expectations, and I think some others, Wilkie Collins--The Woman in White and The Moonstone, Mrs. Gaskell--Wives and Daughters, George Eliot--Middlemarch.  Plus more that I'm not remembering instantly.

I like your retirement plan, just my kind of thing.  Are you already an Austen fan?  (Warning: I'm a real Austen nut.)  Let us know what the class is like.  If you read Mansfield Park, be sure to read Lover's Vows, the play they try to put on.  It's available online, and reading it, you see that Austen has actually constructed some of her plot to fit with it.

Mkaren557

• BooksDL
« Reply #17354 on: September 04, 2016, 08:28:21 PM »
I am going to try to remember back twenty summers: I read Northanger Abbey, Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, Cranford,Great Expectations, Middlemarch, Mill on the Floss, The Idylls of the King, The Warden, The Way We Live Now, and Tono Bungay (H.G. Wells).  I was living on a lake with a big front porch and the most comfortable furniture. I would curl up and read, then swim alternating most of the day.  This was my second reading of Wuthering Heights and Middlemarch.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #17355 on: September 04, 2016, 08:36:56 PM »
 8) I was living on a lake with a big front porch and the most comfortable furniture. I would curl up and read, then swim alternating most of the day.  :P - I'm Jealous as all get out - what a dream way to live

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #17356 on: September 04, 2016, 09:53:39 PM »
That's pretty idyllic.  Is swimming what you're going to do when your sciatica is tamed?  It's great for overall strength.

I haven't read The Way We Live Now or Tono Bungay (though I've read other Wells) and I bogged down in the politics of Middlemarch, but I've read the rest, with pleasure.

bellamarie

« Reply #17357 on: September 05, 2016, 09:22:03 AM »
Carol,  The Light Between the Ocean movie was fantastic you will love watching it.  I may go ahead and read the book.

MKaren, I don't think you can find any two more excited Jane Austen fans than PatH., and myself.  She is such a wonderful writer and I love how she can add humor to her stories. Emma and Pride and Prejudice are my two most favorites of her books.  I fell in love with Emma's character.  My hubby bought me the dvd for Valentine's Day this year, the one made in 2009 with Romola Garai as Emma, and Jonny Lee Miller as Mr. Knightley. I highly recommend it over the one made in 1996 with Gwyneth Paltrow.  Your lake and front porch sounds like the perfect place to relax and read.  I hope your sciatica heals soon.

Happy Labor Day!!

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #17358 on: September 05, 2016, 09:48:04 AM »
Karen, I also love your description of you on the porch with a good book. You write so beautifully!

I read 11 Victorian novels during my 11 week summer vacation.  I always wanted to teach a course like Victorian Studies at the high school level, but in order to meet "standards" there was no room in the curriculum for this. 

What IS "Victorian Studies?" I think I have a gap here that I can appreciate learning about.

Of Dickens I've read few. The Christmas Carol of course and I once thought David Copperfield was the best book I ever read, but it's been years.   I did the same movie/ book  thing with Oliver Twist, which I was also introduced to by a movie, and now Bleak House.  How have I missed these things? What else am I missing? Does anybody read Trollope any more? Is he considered Victorian?

You know what? You can teach us Victorian Studies here! :)

Dana

• ::
« Reply #17359 on: September 05, 2016, 11:14:20 AM »
I love Trollope and reread them all in the last couple of years.  A super binge reading episode that lasted for months and months.  Anyway, while doing that we watched the BBC series of The Pallisers, really old, with Susan Hampshire as Lady Glencora.  You have to get over the way they acted in the 70s but the costumes and staging were fabulous.  Must have cost tons of money.  Then we watched The Barchester Chronicles...star cast, Alan Rickman, Geraldine MacEwen, Donald Pleasence, Nigel Hawthorne etc, etc.  They don't  do them as good as that too often...!  What was so nice was that the screenplay and the actors so perfectly captured the characters.
But nothing beats the books, its nice to read stuff set in the past written by someone writing in their time.