Author Topic: The Library  (Read 2049285 times)

nlhome

Re: The Library
« Reply #17520 on: October 25, 2016, 06:51:38 PM »
I saw that Ginny. I have to confess, I really don't care that much. I read a lot of Shakespeare in college, took two classes in fact, have seen many plays, and I've enjoyed them, but not in any scholarly way. However, as a story, it's interesting to read how they decided to do that.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #17521 on: October 25, 2016, 07:12:03 PM »
For me it was the last bit that summed it up...

“We don’t expect that this will be the end of the conversation,” Mr. Taylor said of the findings being published in the new edition. “If we ever stop arguing about Shakespeare, then Shakespeare will be dead.

Every new piece of equipment to analyze the past comes up with yet another theory of who wrote, painted, composed what... The way I see it until they create a time machine everything is speculation.   
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

bellamarie

« Reply #17522 on: October 26, 2016, 01:49:58 PM »
Barb, I love that quote, "If we ever stop arguing about Shakespeare, then Shakespeare will be dead."

I've enjoyed reading and discussing the sonnets very much.  Barb your pics placed with each sonnet has surely given them a new perspective of seeing the words come to life.  You've put an enormous amount of time and talent into this lengthy discussion, and as we draw near I for one am more knowledged and appreciate this poet, who I barely knew much of before discussing these sonnets.  Thank you for your dedication to the discussion.
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #17523 on: October 26, 2016, 02:14:48 PM »
Wow thanks Bellamarie - it has been a ride hasn't it - lots of alleys that after reding another few Sonnets there is always one that opens the world in a new way - the man sure had a way with words - I have looked up a couple of poets who wrote during this time in history thinking that the way people expressed themselves was the difference - nope, as much as I like Donne (1572–1631) there is some wording that appears to be based in the times but he just does not have the magical phrasing. I wonder if that is because Shakespeare wrote for the stage - well whatever - so glad to see your thoughts as we read these Sonnets - reading them as been an eye opener for me as well.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

bellamarie

« Reply #17524 on: October 27, 2016, 05:37:31 PM »
Question....  I still have my copy of "Two Old Women.  Are we planning to still discuss this in November?  My copy is overdue and I need to know if I should renew it.

“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #17525 on: October 27, 2016, 07:26:17 PM »
Yes, hang on to it or renew - Marcie is saying November 14 is the day we start.

As you know it is a short book so it will be as we read this summer a few short books that we discussed for about 2 weeks which will be perfect this time of the year - then the holiday month of December. I understand the current read about Henrietta Lacks is going to go past October 31 by a few days.

I am really looking forward to our discussion of, Two Old Women. Such plucky women.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #17526 on: October 30, 2016, 07:09:16 PM »
But, soft: behold! lo where it comes again! ___
I'll cross it, though it blast me.

Revisit'st thus the glimpses of the moon.
Making night hideous ; and we, fools of nature,

Infected he the air whereon they ride,
And damned all those that trust them.

By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #17527 on: October 30, 2016, 07:36:31 PM »
Barb, you made my day with that one.  You are the queen of matching picture and verse..

Frybabe

« Reply #17528 on: October 31, 2016, 06:53:36 AM »
Ah, poor "puddy tat" being called wicked. And the picture of the pup in ghost costume is priceless.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #17529 on: October 31, 2016, 10:46:39 AM »
Yes, I too thought the tiny puss priceless and roared laughing at the irony of matching it with wicked - something fun to end the series.

Another I got a kick out of was the tiny squirrel on his hobby stick wearing a cowboy hat playing next to his mother, the witch measuring out the brew and what can be presumed as his older brother reading the recipe from the book of brew to his mom. Again the irony of a domestic kitchen scene of three mocking the three witches in Shakespeare's play in addition to the entire scene with many creatures under the large moon.

To see the pictures larger and therefor get all the details I learned to click on one photo at a time with a double click. 

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #17530 on: October 31, 2016, 04:11:40 PM »
This is so far beyond politics I did not know where to put it - it is long - nearly 2 hours -

To watch it what I did was open a second window and watched it in pieces between doing laundry and fixing lunch etc. -

Before the Flood was shown on the National Geographic TV station - it is fabulous - DiCaprio is wonderful - a serious mature DiCaprio allowing himself to be slapped down in India, also showing him astonished as he learns so much - Steven Spielberg is the producer and his genius is all over the film -

Be prepared to feel incredibly sad and then hopeful and personally encouraged that there are small changes still possible for each of us - very few of us will be in a position to make the required big changes that are needed now, not 10 or 20 year down the road but now. However, those changes can be pushed along as we tip the attitudes of others by voicing our concerns and get behind any group or politician supporting a change in our source of energy.

Please watch this before you comment based on your current information... we all think we know - I sure did - but had no idea till I watched this how things like forest fires put incredible amounts of carbon into the atmosphere and the raising of street in Miami, funded in the billions because of constant flooding even when the sun is out and there has been no rain for weeks.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/before-the-flood/videos/before-the-flood/#

Frybabe

« Reply #17531 on: November 01, 2016, 07:58:35 AM »
My daily cruise through Project Gutenberg garnered this little gem, a book of verses and such by J. S. Ogilvie, published in 1881, called The Album Writer's Friend. https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/53404 Click on the html link to view on line, or download in ePub or Kindle formats. The scrapbookers and card makers among us might like to take a look.

bellamarie

« Reply #17532 on: November 01, 2016, 11:31:04 AM »
Frybabe,  Thank you for the link, I loved this: 

Our lives are albums, written through
With good or ill, with false or true,
And as the blessed angels turn the pages of our years,
God grant that they may read the good with smiles,
And blot the ill with tears.

COMPILED BY J. S. OGILVIE.

It is a perfect way of seeing someone browsing through photo albums over the years.

bellamarie

« Reply #17533 on: November 02, 2016, 01:19:11 PM »
It is with a very heavy heart I am posting,  Ella Gibbons was a wonderful member of our group, and I always looked forward to any book discussion she chose to lead.  May God be with Ella's daughter Cindy, and all those who was honored to know her as a friend.

ADOANNIE
I don't know how to say this.

I got a call from Ella's daughter this morning and Ella passed away in the middle of the night.  Please keep her daughter, Cindy, in your prayers as Ella was all she had. Thankfully she has many friends here who will give her much support and comfort.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #17534 on: November 02, 2016, 03:40:48 PM »
I am so sorry to hear this Bellamarie. Thank you for letting us know.  I am glad Cindy has such supportive friends, and I will indeed pray for her.

Rosemary

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #17535 on: November 02, 2016, 03:51:18 PM »
We're so sorry to lose Ella - such a rock for this community!
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #17536 on: November 02, 2016, 06:01:56 PM »
Please post here about our Ella, so we have all your loving comments in one place and we can get them to her daughter, Cindy.

http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=5011.0

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #17537 on: November 03, 2016, 04:04:41 PM »
We've just received word there is going to be an upgrade tonight at  8 pm Mountain time. Not sure how long it will last.

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #17538 on: November 03, 2016, 10:38:10 PM »
my best wishes to Cindy we will miss Ella here. I remember in NY
Her poking her head around the door in curlers and puffy bonnet.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #17539 on: November 05, 2016, 10:51:29 AM »
Remember, remember, the fifth of November
The Gunpowder treason and plot;
I know of no reason
Why the Gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot!
Guy Fawkes and his companions
Did the scheme contrive,
To blow the King and Parliament
All up alive.
Threescore barrels, laid below,
To prove old England’s overthrow.

On the 5th November 1605 Guy Fawkes was caught in the cellars of the Houses of Parliament with several dozen barrels of gunpowder…

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #17540 on: November 05, 2016, 11:05:23 AM »
Penny for the Guy.

Barb, you gave me my morning chuckle. :)

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #17541 on: November 05, 2016, 11:23:40 AM »
TOO cool, Barbara! Love it.

Winchester Lady, I keep forgetting to mention that Mary Berry is to have a new cooking show, the Recipes of the Great Houses, or something like that,  I can't WAIT and I can't get BBC1, what a fabulous idea. Mel and Sue are to have one about singing and dancing for Comedy Relief or something like that, on BBC1,  and there are two specials already filmed in addition to the latest Great British Bake off for us to see. For some reason, and I don't want to jinx him, but I can't see Paul and Nigella doing a Great British Bake Off, but what do I know?  It may be the greatest thing since sliced bread.

AND there is a new Sherlock,  with Benedict Cumberbach and Co., or so I read, coming in 2017.

As for reading, I needed something escapist so I made the mistake of picking up the sequel to the Gold Coast, The Gate House by Nelson DeMille and now am 3/4ths through.  It's not as good as The Gold Coast, and there seem to be less flamboyant sex scenes (there's really only one, a fairly ridiculous one, in my opinion,  in The Gold Coast but it's right smack in the beginning),  but it's a continuation of characters you care about as they go thru the changes in the great houses on Long Island, and once those characters hook you, it's hard to let them go. I like the male protagonist.  I can't say the same for any other characters in this book but he's good. He's a John Grisham type of lawyer.

Speaking of Grisham, is anybody reading the new John Grisham?

I'm still actually reading Bleak House, am trying to read it as I said within the chapters as they were published. It's a comforting read to sink into,  and of course, as December, cold, fireplaces and the holidays near, nothing beats Dickens in December....I just need to catch up to the movie which I got too far ahead with.

And I'm reading T.P. Wiseman, who is supposedly the model for Dumbledore in JK Rowling's Harry Potter series. He taught Rowling at Exeter. If classicists are your taste, you'll want his Historiography and Imagination, Eight Essays on Roman Culture,  I'd get it in the library, all his books are extremely pricey to be so small and succinct but boy does he hand it to Theodor Mommsen, probably the most eminent Roman historian of the past on the subject of Cicero.

Anybody who thinks academics are dull needs to read Wiseman. Actually I have to say that Mommsen himself, whom I have just started reading, laid it out on the subject of the "demagogue" and described some Roman speeches which sound suspiciously like what we are seeing today in the news. To wit:

"Cato was already acquainted with men who made a trade of demagogism, who.....hired listeners if they could find no willing audience, and whom people heard as if they heard the market- crier, without listening to their words or , in the event of needing help, entrusting themselves to their hands. In his caustic fashion the old man describes those fops formed after the model of the Greek talkers of the Agora, dealing in jests and witticisms, singing and dancing, ready for anything; such an one was, in his opinion, good for nothing but to exhibit himself as a harlequin, and to bandy talk with the public. He would sell his talk or his silence for a bit of bread. "

That's what I'm reading, anybody reading anything good? Or bad?

rosemarykaye

« Reply #17542 on: November 05, 2016, 11:29:59 AM »
Hi Ginny - just to say, it is Mary Berry who is having the new show about the recipes of great houses - not Mary Beard (she'd be more up for the recipes of great Roman villas...)

Rosemary  :)

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #17543 on: November 05, 2016, 11:39:09 AM »
 OH GAWSH did I say Mary Beard?  I've got Mary Beard on the brain this morning because of her blog on the demagogue in modern politics, including American, which I am preparing  for the Latin classes Monday.

I fixed it and a couple of misspellings of demagogue while I was at it. Wonder why my spell check seems never to have heard of demagogism?

Thanks. :)

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #17544 on: November 05, 2016, 06:17:13 PM »
Wow look what I found  - A Boy in France is particularly poignant

http://www.ae-lib.org.ua/salinger/Texts/UncollectedStories-en.htm#13

Dana

• ::
« Reply #17545 on: November 05, 2016, 08:01:05 PM »
Ginny, when I was looking up the TP Wiseman you are reading I discovered I have his "Catullus his world" from when I was translating Catullus.  I do like his stuff.  I also have "The Latin Love Poets" by R.O.A.M. Lynne, if you are interested.  He is really interesting as I remember.  Must get back to Catullus, I did not finish.  I have a great book, "The Student's Catullus" by Garrison.  Only not too good on the scansion.  Do you know a good book on Latin scansion?  I found a great guy on the internet for Greek but nothing as good for Latin. You have to scan them or you don't get the whole point.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #17546 on: November 05, 2016, 08:23:53 PM »
OH another Wiseman, I'll have to look that one up. Isn't he GOOD!!  (Have you read Mommsen? I was so surprised at how well he writes. He even impressed Mark Twain, which apparently took some doing),  but really dissed  Cicero...which Wiseman  takes issue with in his Historiography. I don't know  R.O.A.M. Lynne, I'll look him up, thank you.

On scansion, I imagine you have  looked in the back of  our former Ovid book (Latin Via Ovid?) Starting on page 447 Reading Latin Poetry, she's got a good bit on scansion.  I'll look up some more just in case that was not enough. I had a great book on it a few  years ago, made it seem most enjoyable. I'll see if I can find it.

Speaking of Catullus, have you read Living With A Dead Language?  I am interested in your thoughts on her opinion of Catullus.  :)  I hated the book, I wish everybody would read it so we could  argue, I've got some great arguments going in the face to face classes---their  opinions on it are totally opposed to each other, totally.

Frybabe

« Reply #17547 on: November 06, 2016, 05:13:22 AM »
Dana, I bought Wiseman's Catallus and His World several months ago but haven't read it yet.

Scansion is a new word for me. I've never paid a whole lot of attention to poetry until recently and know next to nothing about its structure or types.

bellamarie

« Reply #17548 on: November 06, 2016, 09:46:12 AM »
Good morning to you all....  I was just peeking in on the condolences of our Ella and I have to say,  Ginny I enjoyed your tribute to Ella so very much!  I had never met Ella in real life and reading all the places you have shared with her made me feel like I was right there with you all.  What precious memories you will have to last you a lifetime.  I especially liked,  "The Ella effect"   

We are finishing up our discussion on the Henrietta Lacks book this week, so if there are any lurkers wishing to post please drop in and give us your take on the book. 

I finished reading Two Old Women the upcoming November discussion.

Now..... what to read next.  Guess I'll have to browse through your posts and see what interests me. 

Dana

• ::
« Reply #17549 on: November 06, 2016, 10:14:17 AM »
I haven't read "Living with a Dead language", I am loath to buy it if it's bad, as am in process of reorganising my books and throwing a lot of dead weight away, don't want to add to it!!  That's a joke really, I can always buy a second hand one and throw it away, but if it makes me annoyed, do I want to be annoyed??

Mommsen...seen many footnotes, esp in Gelzer I think, but never read him....so much to read, so little time....wd like to see what he says about Cicero....

Scansion...the formula I have for Greek is so clever, in Latin one  seems to have to think about it more, mind you I spent time learning the formula, I've never spent as much time trying to master Latin scansion.

Am nearly thru book two of the Cazalets,  (Elizabeth Jane Howard), irritating, but gets gripping, you feel you are galloping along breathlessly, too many names, fortunately there's a list at the beginning, have to keep checking back......I only read them when I'm travelling, so tends to be in fits and starts.  I'm glad there are two more books to go tho!  The conversations are a scream, made me laugh aloud.....

Frybabe

« Reply #17550 on: November 06, 2016, 11:50:29 AM »
How wonderful it is to hear from Robby, even though in sad circumstances (Ella).

I do hope, Robby, that you will join in again on occasion. You've been missed.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #17551 on: November 06, 2016, 08:03:11 PM »
Bella, this is for you! Sent it earlier this afternoon, in answer to your call for some suggestions.

Have you read "The Other Einstein" ??  It's the story about his first wife who was an incredible mathematician and helped him quite a bit!  Fascinating story and partially true!  Can't think of author's name and I have returned the audio book that I listened to on my iPad.  The book's reader is very talented!

Also I brought from the library "The Summer Before the War" By Helen Simonson who also wrote Major Pettigrew's Last Stand", which we discussed earlier.  I read it and am looking forward to this new one.

Another book that I just finished was titled "The Rosary-A Path To Prayer" by Liz Kelly.  A good book for learning how to meditate on the mysteries.  She knows many non-Catholics who use a rosary just for meditation. Not just an author of fiction and non-fiction, she is also a jazz singer who has recorded two CD's. Probably more since this was published in 2004!
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

RobbieRocheleau

« Reply #17552 on: November 07, 2016, 07:01:07 AM »
I've been reading a new Anne Perry, "A Christmas Message" set in the Holy Land in the early 1900s. Mystery, and a good story. Short, for this busy season.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #17553 on: November 07, 2016, 01:27:47 PM »
Frybabe, that isn't the same Robby we all know.  His name is Robbie Iadaluca and I just got in touch with him about Ella's passing and he has rejoined us and wants to come back as soon as he figures out how to post here. :) :) A techie is helping him. Stay tuned! :)
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #17554 on: November 07, 2016, 01:52:25 PM »
Robbie R - I saw Anne Perry's "A Christmas Message" on Amazon and wondered - thanks for the heads up that it is a good read. I sure do love a new Christmas book each year...

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #17555 on: November 07, 2016, 01:55:17 PM »
Ann isn't wonderful to be connecting with old Senior Learn friends - hope RobbieI makes it into the Library - he sure joined us discussing a lot of books over the years and his dedication to leading the Durant series was a wonder.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #17556 on: November 07, 2016, 04:14:29 PM »
Coming Monday, November 14

Based on an Athabascan Indian legend passed along for many generations from mothers to daughters of the upper Yukon River Valley in Alaska, this is the suspenseful, shocking, ultimately inspirational tale of two old women abandoned by their tribe during a brutal winter famine.

We'll be talking about the whole book so please, go ahead and read as much as you want before the discussion.

Discussion Leaders: marcie, Ann, PatH, Barb

bellamarie

« Reply #17557 on: November 07, 2016, 07:39:42 PM »
Thank you Annie for the recommendations, I will have to check them out.   Robbie R., your Christmas book sounds interesting, I always read Christmas books throughout the holiday season.

Robby

« Reply #17558 on: November 09, 2016, 01:44:35 PM »
I have just returned to SeniorLearn after having been gone for approx. 10 years and am feeling my way around.  I am currently reading "Hero of the Empire", a book about Churchill by Candace Millard.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #17559 on: November 09, 2016, 03:54:22 PM »
Welcome back, Robby, it's good to see you again.