Author Topic: The Library  (Read 1970035 times)

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
Re: The Library
« Reply #18520 on: December 26, 2017, 10:37:33 AM »

December Library
Our Library Cafe is open 24/7; the Welcome Mat is always out.
Do come in from daily chores and spend some time with us.

Pull up your chair, bring your coffee or wine and tell us,
How You Celebrate the December Holidays
Note the "Topics for the Day" - We want to hear all about it.

And please, continue to share your library news in addition to these holiday topics.
Let's make the library a bustling place to be this month.

December 26-28: - What Decoration did you see or make that you will best remember? What will be your best memory from this year's Holidays? Did you receive as a gift a book? Are you saving it for later or will you read it immediately? 

December 29-31: - When do you take down your decorations? Are you making a reading list for next year? Which book from your list will you read first?

We are ending December and the end of 2017 - We start to look ahead as we review our memories of December as well as, the past year - What was the book or books that you really enjoyed or learned the most by reading the book in 2017?

Everyone is welcome!  Again, the Library as usual continues with this Holiday/December theme as an addition.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

nlhome

« Reply #18521 on: December 26, 2017, 01:25:04 PM »
Yes, I received books. One is about the city of Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, where my son and family just moved - so I can find things there I want to see and do when we visit. One is All the Light we Cannot See, and another is The Sugar Queen.

Best memory was being home for Christmas. The past 4 years we traveled to Georgia - this year we were able to stay in Wisconsin and spend the holiday with one son and one daughter and their families. Little children sure do add spice to the holidays. We also had an extended family get-together one afternoon, one we also have missed out on in the past several years. Even made the Christmas Eve candlelight service.

One son was missing, but the wonders of Facetime let us share part of Christmas Eve with him and his wife from their home in Germany.

Frybabe

« Reply #18522 on: December 26, 2017, 03:41:52 PM »
I made Christmas ornaments for my sisters cacti. It was a kit from which I made cacti with flowers and coyote. She decorates her big cactus every year. I am so amazed that her cacti have survived and thrived all these years. Her sun room is decorated with a Southwester theme.

bellamarie

« Reply #18523 on: December 26, 2017, 04:42:27 PM »
My hubby gave me the most beautiful Christmas ornament this year that came with the Pandora Christmas charm.  I absolutely love it, and will cherish it.  It opens up with a place to hold the charm, or a special little something to hide.  Pandora was chosen as the official jewelry partner of 2017 with the Radio City Rockettes.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/off-off-broadway/article/PANDORA-Jewelry-Announced-as-Official-Partner-of-The-2017-Christmas-Spectacular-Starring-the-Rockettes-20170609

http://estore-us.pandora.net/en-us/exclusive-holiday-charm-and-ornament-inspired-by-the-radio-city-rockettes/B800641.html

This is my ornament on my tree.

My best memory.... well I actually have two, the first is taking the gifts up with my hubby and grandchildren Zak and Zoey at Christmas Eve Mass.  It is always such an honor to be chosen, but for some reason, for Christmas it holds an even more special joy for me. 

The second best memory is when Zoey, my six year old granddaughter, was finished opening all the gifts we gave her, she very unexpectedly came running full force into my arms, gave me the biggest hug and said, "Thank you Nonnie for all the presents!"  Zoey does not display her emotions openly very often, so to do this in front of the entire room was such a great gift.  I whispered,  "You are so very welcome, now go thank Papa too."
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

bellamarie

« Reply #18524 on: December 26, 2017, 06:54:26 PM »
My New Year's resolution is to challenge myself to read more in 2018, so I found this site that helps with some ideas on how to accomplish to read more.  Check this out:

https://modernmrsdarcy.com/reading-challenge-2018/?utm_content=buffer9c8ec&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

I'm also going to create a board on my Pinterest to keep track of all the books I have read.  Oh this ought to be fun!!  NOT!
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”

Frybabe

« Reply #18525 on: December 27, 2017, 06:44:27 AM »
Great, Bellemarie. It is a worthy endeavor. Have you set a criteria for the books you will read, or are you going to choose at random?

Your resolution comes right after I just last night listened to an Audible Ted Talks segment from a woman who decided to read books by authors from every country in the world that were translated into English and blog about it. She used a UN list of countries and added Taiwan. Many of the countries, it turns out, do not have even one author whose work has been translated into English. She also started a blog about it and, as word got out, ended up with all kinds of help, from those who sent books and unpublished manuscripts to volunteer translators. Oh, look, it is on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh09xlzxRmE

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18526 on: December 27, 2017, 12:25:14 PM »
Wow Frybabe the link to Ann Morgan's project was wonderful - sure opens all sorts of possibilities doesn't it.

Bellamaire you've started to firm up your plans for the New Year - a great inspiration to get started - I had not heard of Pandora Christmas jewelry - the ornament box looks so festive on your tree.

I know y'all have tons of snow and my measly complaint about cold seems ridiculous but, it is cold - the heat is blaring away - I need to pull in from the garage storage my preserving pot and fill it with water to steam on the stove - all this dry air is making my sinuses let me know they are there and need some attention. Well i'm off to my sock knitting - 
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

bellamarie

« Reply #18527 on: December 27, 2017, 06:04:25 PM »
Frybabe, I will try to be diverse in my choosing which books to read.  I do like Ann Morgan's little project of reading one from every country, but I will not even consider taking on such a feat.  I've come to enjoy non fiction more than fiction, so I must learn to enjoy a good fiction once again.  I shall see what I read, the whole point is to read more than I have this past year.

Barb we were -4 degrees this morning.  Our high today was 12 degrees.  I did venture out with my hubby to spend my Kohl's cash.  I don't really mind the cold temps, as long as hubby warms up the car before I go outside.  Before he retired a few years back, I always made sure he had an automatic car starter in his car, so he would be warm leaving for work.  I think we should consider one for our SUV.   The snowman you saw on my counter, is a tin canister filled with candy.  I received it from one of my ccd students.  I love it, and can keep him out all winter.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #18528 on: December 28, 2017, 01:17:57 PM »
I am just back from a week in the Highlands, where there was a lot of snow. We did some great walks with our three children and daughter-in-law - one was to the Green Lochan, lochan meaning small loch or lake. The water is truly green, though we're not entirely sure why (must look it up). We carried on past it to the Ryvoan Bothy, in which we found two hikers eating their sandwiches. On the way back down, above the snow covered pine trees, we saw buzzards fly, then a heron glided past. It was really beautiful. My youngest daughter and I came back from Aviemore station (which is also the home of the Strathspey Steam Railway, so we saw one of the old engines puffing away on a 'Mince Pie Special') on the train today, and the scenery on the journey down was spectacular.

It was a good week but I am always glad to be back at home. Now all I have to do it catch up on TV (eg the new Call the Midwife Christmas Special), write some thank you notes and read. Fabulous. We didn't watch much television while we were away, but there was a new episode of Maigret with Rowan Atkinson that i enjoyed. We also watched an awful lot of TV quizzes, as my 90 year old mother is an addict of these - most of the time I hadn't a clue what was going on, but she was happy!

I hope you are all having a restful holiday. Mkaren I think translating Caesar is a brilliant idea. We do not all have to be doing Christmassy things all day, or indeed at all. A Twitter friend of mine has just posted that he finds this time of year a very anxious one, and that for him re-reading Harry Potter is very helpful. This prompted lots of tweets from others with similar feelings, for which they were reading Bill Bryson, watching the Big Bang Theory, doing Vipassana meditation or even playing Pet Rescue Saga. Whatever works for a person is good in my opinion.

Soon the year will turn, and, as Omar Khayam says, 'the thoughtful soul to solitude retires...'

Rosemary

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18529 on: December 28, 2017, 03:20:05 PM »
Love your sharing Rosemary, your week in the out-of-doors - sounds like such a wonderful adventure seeing nature in winter.

No decoration particularly caught my attention this year - of those I saw were all wonderful and all up-lifting - grandson sent me a book that he enjoyed - and wants my reaction - Gender Lens Investing by Wiley - I've loved how over the year my grands open my eyes to new experiences as they share the books that grabbed them - from Harry Potter when they were 7 to Gender Investing at 27...

I am so excited this year about a new beginning - not only the New Year but for me the birth of Jesus represents a new beginning - a light - an infant - Instead of a goal list of things to do or an area of my life I want to change with new habits - I have decided to get better at everything I do - from caring for my health to having fun - from doing things with my hands and feet to what I fill my heart and brain - just act like everything is a new start that I will get better at...

It is why I changed my Senior Learn Avatar - I love the goose (that in many ways we are all capable of being a goose) dressed with the symbols and colors of Christmas, facing the wind and going forth - on a sled no less, that suggests not only adventure and accomplishment but a wink to fun. Yes, I like what I read into the photo - for me it is far more than a holiday painting...

Which by the way if y'all do not know of this group they are wonderful to inspire that we can do more than we realize...

https://growingbolderinstitute.com/

bellamarie

« Reply #18530 on: December 28, 2017, 03:53:45 PM »
Rosemary, your week in the highlands sounds marvelous, and to spend it with your family sounds even more wonderful.

Barb, I like your thinking about doing things better.

I did not get the book I was hoping to get for Christmas.  I actually asked for two books, and got none.  Hmmm.... my kids do not do much reading at all, so I don't think they really appreciate how much a book as a gift can mean to someone.  I was fascinated with a book I happened to see on my son's bookshelf on Christmas day.  It was large, and standing up.  I went over and picked it up, asked where they got it, and was told by my dil's Mom it was hers.  It was a book that contained a photo from various cities around the world, taken on the same day at Christmas time, back in I think 1990.  Drat, wish I could remember the name of it.  I was mesmerized looking at it, and my twelve year old granddaughter sat with me looking at it, she actually became very interested it in.  We were trying to find the date it was published, and she was able to find it on Ebay, and finally solve the mystery.  Funny how there was no publishing date anywhere on the book.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #18531 on: December 29, 2017, 03:22:08 PM »
bellamarie - the same thing happened to me, as it always does - NO BOOKS!  I think it would be such an easy thing to get for me, and my Amazon wish list is there for all to see, but like your family, I don't think mine actually consider books as gifts. I gave books to my husband and one of my daughters. I suppose we just have to treat ourselves instead!

The book you mentioned sounds a bit like One Day for Life in Ireland, which was published in 1988. I have a copy, it's great. https://www.abebooks.co.uk/9780593016411/Day-Life-Ireland-Irish-Cancer-0593016416/plp

I was in town with my husband today, and when I got bored waiting for him to choose shoes I took myself off to Fopp, which is a lovely little music, film and book shop. There I bought the DVDs of Hidden Agenda, which my son recommended to me, Spotlight, which I have seen and which my husband wants to see, and Carol which I've also seen and loved so much that I'd like to rewatch it. In the Fopp sale I got all of these for just £13 (I think that's about $18). It's amazing to recall how expensive DVDs used to be when they first appeared.

Rosemary

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18532 on: December 29, 2017, 03:58:28 PM »
Mystery writer Sue Grafton has died in Santa Barbara, California. She was 77.

Her daughter, Jamie Clark, posted news of her mother's death on Grafton's web page Friday.

She says her mother passed away Thursday night after a two-year battle with cancer and was surrounded by family, including Grafton's husband, Steve.

Grafton was the author of the so-called Kinsey Millhone Alphabet Series in which each book title begins with a letter from the alphabet. The last was "Y is for Yesterday."

Her daughter concluded her posting by saying, "the alphabet now ends at Y."

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18533 on: December 29, 2017, 04:15:31 PM »
Rosemary appears you will be settling in with some DVDs - I was not familiar with Hidden Agenda and when I looked it up there are several DVDs and books with that title - one intriguing story of a space station - Spotlight is well done isn't it.

Using Ann Morgan's effort to read the world I ordered a couple of books that were on her list or recommended from her list - cannot wait - I love the depth of writers from Central America - almost ordered two from her Iceland recommendations but decided on these...

The Hour of the Star by Clarice Lispector - I've read another by this author, Near to the Wild Heart, published in Rio de Janeiro in 1943

Infinity in the Palm of Her Hand: A Novel of Adam and Eve by Gioconda Belli - re-imagining of the story of Adam and Eve and original sin without making the woman the bad guy.

Senselessness by Horacio Castellanos Moya - A boozing, sex-obsessed writer finds himself employed by the Catholic Church (an institution he loathes) to proofread a 1,100 page report on the army's massacre and torture of thousands of indigenous villagers a decade earlier, including the testimonies of the survivors. The writer's job is to tidy it up. Reminds me of the kind of thing David Foster Wallace would write about. You could replace the Catholic Church with the US Government and tell the same story...

rosemarykaye

« Reply #18534 on: December 29, 2017, 04:24:03 PM »
Barb - I got that wrong! My daughter has just pointed out it is Hidden Figures, the recent film about the black women who got no credit for their huge contributions at NASA. Hidden Agenda is a wonderful Ken Loach film (made in 1991 I think) set against the backdrop of the troubles in Northern Ireland - saw it years ago.

The old brain cells are clearly falling by the wayside...

Rosemary :)

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18535 on: December 29, 2017, 08:01:34 PM »
Ah so... yes - good movie - I think you'll enjoy it - need now to look for the Hidden Agenda that is about the Irish - sure a favorite title for several movies and books according to Amazon - haha the new encyclopedia of information...  ;)

bellamarie

« Reply #18536 on: December 30, 2017, 12:03:23 AM »
Rosemary,  we read and discussed Hidden Figures here, back in April of this year.  I saw the movie at the theater, and think the book was far better than the movie.  I was so disappointed in the movie, it did not give the attention to Dorothy as the author did.   This is a quote from the author of the book:

Shetterly:  " I am most emotionally attached to Dorothy Vaughan. She was ambitious but didn’t see all of her ambitions realized. She really helped fuel the careers of Mary Jackson and Katherine Johnson, both of whom got a lot of credit. Until now, Dorothy Vaughan hasn’t gotten a lot of credit. So I was determined to create this platform to tell her story."

Although I was disappointed in the movie, I am glad I saw it.  If you haven't read the book, I would highly recommend it.

Frybabe

« Reply #18537 on: December 30, 2017, 05:38:04 AM »
I don't do reading lists for the year except for putting books on my library wish list for future reading. At the moment there are only five (way down from the over 25 from a year ago). The one ebook I expect to read next is the latest in a SciFi series by Marco Kloos which releases on the 7th of January. Also, I have several audible books I want to listen to. All are non-fiction except for one, which is a rather hilarious SciFi book called We Are Legion (We Are Bob). The narrator really nails it. I haven't decided which of my print books to read next, but the next Odd Thomas (Dean Koontz) is up there as well as picking out one of my Roman history books.

bellamarie

« Reply #18538 on: December 30, 2017, 12:32:36 PM »
BarbInfinity in the Palm of Her Hand: A Novel of Adam and Eve by Gioconda Belli - re-imagining of the story of Adam and Eve and original sin without making the woman the bad guy.

Hmmmm.... a little play on words.  Would those bold words be considered an oxymoron?  Figuratively nor literally, can a woman, be a guy?  Although, in the world today, maybe so.  Just a thought.  It does sound like an interesting book.

Frybabe, I haven't yet settled on a new book to begin in the New Year either.  I am going to begin an online Bible Study in January, using the book, I Am Loved: Walking in the Fullness of God’s Love by Wendy Blight.   Can't wait for it to begin!

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18539 on: December 30, 2017, 03:10:56 PM »
hahaha oxymoron for sure Bellamarie - her thinking does rattle your cage though - she is thoughtful, innocent and asks questions that we all have asked but with a viewpoint that sees profound allegories - or at least that was the crux of her other book and from the write up on this one I am expecting a similar eye opening read.

The book you will be studying reminds me of what I have ordered, that I think I will reserve on my shelf for the Lentil season - which by the way do you know lent starts this year on Valentine's Day - anyhow I am looking forward to not just reading but getting into Ladder of Monks and Twelve Meditations by Guigo that include prayers and meditations from the early Carthusians -

Bellamarie if you do not have the CD Into Great Silence, a documentary about life in the Grande Chartreuse, consider getting it - It is a video to watch over and over and over again and will be a wonderful companion to you while studying I Am Loved: Walking in the Fullness of God’s Love

Have any of you seen the Martin Scorsese movie, Silence - I have the book and was distracted when I started it last year - Pastor of the church that had a High School that I attended recommended it after he read it during Lent of last year. I notice Prime has the movie version free - Like so many books it is not the circumstance of the characters in the book so much as the way they handle the circumstance that can be applied to our own times of strife, questioning and seeking and so the fact the story centers around missionaries in Japan was secondary to message of waiting during times of severe stress.

As to "books that you really enjoyed or learned the most by reading the book in 2017" - yes, there are several - among those we read here on Senior Learn, Trollope's Barchester Tower and also,The Warden, books that I not only enjoyed and learned much about the governess within the Anglican Church and I had a few personal ah-ha's - so that Trollop is up there among,

The Suppressed History of American Banking: How Big Banks Fought Jackson, Killed Lincoln, and Caused the Civil War by Xaviant Haze -  which then had me curious and read, Unholy Trinity: The IMF, World Bank and WTO by Richard Peet - Holy Hanna, I had no idea how the world is financed - these two books rocked my understanding of how money and credit is central to mankind and how national debt and who owns the paper on the debt affects the history that we are given a different narrative to understand.

Along those lines the next curiosity was another eye opener... King Cotton diplomacy: Foreign relations of the Confederate States of America by Frank Lawrence Owsley, interesting the connection between England and the Southern Cotton economy and how the south was thwarted by that connection -

I laughed so hard so many times reading, Being Dead Is No Excuse: The Official Southern Ladies Guide To Hosting the Perfect Funeral by Gayden Metcalfe and Charlotte Hays - and I loved, The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper by Phaedra Patrick, the premise of the book was an eye opener in itself.

There were others but these are the books that will stay with me, that were enjoyable and/or I learned something new.

nlhome

« Reply #18540 on: December 30, 2017, 09:05:50 PM »
Nothing on my 2018 reading list yet. My two sisters and I decided 3 years ago to use our parents' photos and write family histories for our children. Well, my sisters have done that. I have not. So my plan for 2018 is to sort pictures, put them in order and write a brief family history. My cousin also did that this year. One thing she put in her book, along with pictures and stories, was a reference to not having hot water in the house until she was 13. That struck me as something our children, not to mention our grandchildren, could not comprehend.

Anyway, thinking I'll be writing this coming year, rather than reading. Keeping it concise and interesting - that will be a challenge.

I read over 60 books in 2017; right now due to eye issues I'm listening to books, and I find that much more difficult to do.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18541 on: December 31, 2017, 12:03:13 PM »

bellamarie

« Reply #18542 on: January 01, 2018, 02:34:41 AM »
Just a little bit of New Year trivia regarding Shakespeare.

SHAKESPEARE NEW YEAR QUOTES
New Year barely features in Shakespeare’s plays simply because it wasn’t until 1752 that the Gregorian calendar was adopted in Britain. In Elizabethan England, the year changed after Lady Day on 25 March.

For Shakespeare, the New Year celebrations of the modern world would have seemed bizarre because in his own time New Year’s Day was nothing more than the eighth day of Christmas.

However, it was still customary in the court of Elizabeth I to exchange gifts at New Year, as this quote from "Merry Wives of Windsor" demonstrates (but note the distinct lack of celebratory tone):

Have I lived to be carried in a basket, like a
barrow of butcher’s offal, and to be thrown in the
Thames? Well, if I be served such another trick,
I’ll have my brains ta’en out and buttered, and give
them to a dog for a new-year’s gift…

Merry Wives of Windsor (Act 3, Scene 5)

https://www.thoughtco.com/shakespeare-new-year-and-christmas-quotes-2984987

Happy New Year!  

May our reading in the new year enchant us, excite us, betwixt us, beguile us, and most of all teach us and expand our horizons.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #18543 on: January 01, 2018, 09:38:22 AM »
Bellamarie
(but note the distinct lack of celebratory tone)
Bellamarie, you gave me my first laugh of the new year.  Yes, definitely a lack of celebratory tone. ;)

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #18544 on: January 01, 2018, 09:43:25 AM »
    A happy New Year to all

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18545 on: January 01, 2018, 11:18:42 AM »
Brrrr - can y'all believe this!!! The weather is making itself felt so that the New Year will have its memory - we will all be the old timers saying to our grands and great-grands - the start of 2018 we were in such a deep freeze we did all we could to keep warm and this or that happened... I wish the freeze killed off human viruses as it does garden bugs and those pesky fruit flies.

Stay warm and Happy New Year...

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18546 on: January 01, 2018, 11:20:31 AM »

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #18547 on: January 01, 2018, 11:27:32 AM »
Happy New Year to all who join us in our discussions here on SeniorLearn.  I just checked out “The Woman Who Smashed Codes” and am having a hard time maintaining interest in a true story
about a woman who helped break many codes during WWII and was never recognized for her work.  I have put it aside and turned to Louise Penny’s newest book entitled, “Glass Houses”.  And I am finding it a good read.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!🤓❤️❤️❤️
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #18548 on: January 01, 2018, 03:31:45 PM »
Barb, record cold is right--seems to be a 50 year low here.  Please, everyone, stay warm and safe.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18549 on: January 01, 2018, 03:58:59 PM »
Yes, Pat is is ridiculous - I am trying to stay warm and drafts I did not know I had creep in - hate sitting bundled under a quilt but that is my day and of course I fall asleep - getting NOTHING done - grrr - wanting to stay warm I do not want to hold a book or any electronic devise and or course not even knitting - well I can't complain, I am not experiencing anything like those in the north - and tonight is supposed to be worse than last night - sheesh

I am actually laughing remembering how I was wondering all fall why the squirrels were so fat this year and why the bumper crop of acorns - well now I know - could never guess with having summer like Temps into Thanksgiving - a first for us we had another sprinkling of snow last night - gone of course by 9:30 this morning but two in one year - astounding.

Well afternoon has warmed us up a bit and I better take advantage of the warming trend  ;)  and get a few things done - I can tell the difference in that the heat is holding without the furnace turning on immediately after it shuts off. 

Found this and thought it fun...

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18550 on: January 01, 2018, 06:58:30 PM »

First January is here,
With eyes that keenly glow—
A frost-mailed warrior striding
A shadowy steed of snow…

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18551 on: January 01, 2018, 07:07:59 PM »
Just spent nearly 2 hours clearing up my shelf on Goodreads - books I read and books I do not want on the shelves and even created a new designation from read, currently reading, want to read and added on-going read - for the books that have recipes or one a day kind of page - amazing how many books I read and did not make note of them so they still showed as want to read.

Had received a special and went for The Nature Fix: Why Nature Makes us Happier, Healthier, and More Creative
by Florence Williams - sounds interesting -

Florence Williams set out to uncover the science behind nature’s positive effects on the brain.

The Nature Fix demonstrates that our connection to nature is much more important to our cognition than we think and that even small amounts of exposure to the living world can improve our creativity and enhance our mood. In prose that is incisive, witty, and urgent, Williams shows how time in nature is not a luxury but is in fact essential to our humanity. As our modern lives shift dramatically indoors, these ideas—and the answers they yield—are more urgent than ever.

Cooking supper and I finally have the house warm that the heat should be able to maintain - one more night of this...

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #18552 on: January 01, 2018, 07:48:16 PM »
Even when I don't stay up for the New Year, I usually wake up spontaneously in time to greet it.  I did so this year too, but where there is usually some sign of merriment--horns, cheering, maybe even a few firecrackers--this year there was dead silence.  I guess the temperature of 14 degrees with a wind chill making it feel like 3 degrees put a damper on everyone.  Later this week it will actually get down to 3.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18553 on: January 02, 2018, 12:46:03 AM »
3 oh my Pat - I do not think and in fact I know I have NEVER experienced temperatures that low in my entire life - oh oh oh...it would take your breathe away -

Someone in our neighborhood facebook page explained that clothing is made differently with linings and the use of wool that we do not have in our clothing but still I cannot imagine 3...

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18554 on: January 02, 2018, 01:13:44 AM »
Did you know that both J.D. Salinger and E.M. Forster were born on January 1 along with Paul Revere, Betsy Ross and Lorenzo de Medici.

Remember when Catcher in the Rye hit the shelves - I was glued to that book - up till then there really was nothing written about teen Characters and the times seem to be ripe for the story. I read the next and created my own Zooey door.

Had not read Forster till after I saw A Passage to India - still not a favorite but I did like Howard's End.

My copy of The Hour of the Star by Clarice Lispector the Brazilian writer arrived - have not opened it yet... Been reading again The Wind in the Willows - just love that story... someplace I have an animated copy of The Wind... on Video Tape before Cds. and now that I have my VCR accessable I need to pull out that Tape.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18555 on: January 02, 2018, 01:51:03 AM »
Had not heard of this book but is sure sounds like a great way to bundle up and read during our ice age New Year week. 600 pages would take the week...

Generations of Winter by Vasily Aksyonov

Compared by critics across the country to War and Peace for its memorable characters and sweep, and to Dr. Zhivago for its portrayal of Stalin's Russia, Generations of Winter is the romantic saga of the Gradov family from 1925 to 1945. "A long, lavish plunge into another world."--USA Today.

Comparisons to War and Peace are apt; this family saga doesn't disappoint. Aksyonov manages to capture historical sweep while still creating truly memorable characters. Deserves a much wider readership.

Vassily Aksynov’s Generations of Winter, a book which the Washington Post described as “the great Russian novel, the 20th century equivalent of War and Peace.” All I can say is that the Washington Post needs to get out more; it needs to wander down the highways and byways of Russian literature.

A book conceived on a monumental scale, one which tackles Russian history head on, a slice of the twentieth century, from the tranquil mid-1920s, a period of relative liberalisation, through the dark 1930s, the time of Stalin’s Great Purge, on to the Second World War. It follows the fortunes of the Gradov family, in happiness and in sorrow; and when it comes to sorrow no other nation quite matches Russia. It follows the fate of Boris Gradov, a leading Soviet doctor, and his children – Nikita, a soldier, Nina, a poet, and Kirill, an idealist. It follows, in turn, the fate of their children.

The author should know whereof he speaks. Both his parents were arrested at the height of Stalin’s terror when he was not quite five years old. His mother was Eugenia Ginzburg, herself a writer, who spent years in the concentration camps of Kolyma and in Siberian exile, recording her experiences in Journey into the Whirlwind and Within the Whirlwind. Aksynov, who did not see her again until he was sixteen, was sent to a state orphanage, another kind of gulag, a death sentence for so many children, from which he was rescued by his uncle.

Anastasia Fitzgerald-Beaumont says, I read this book, a surprise gift, over the Christmas holiday and found myself beguiled, my various criticisms notwithstanding. This is living history, history mediated through the eyes of real people, who when they are not real are fictions! I followed the Gradovs and their various fates, never wholly losing interest, though from time to time losing sight of some members of the family.

It’s an honest narrative of dishonest times. I remember an observation from Doctor Zhivago, where a character says that the personal life was dead in Russia, that it had been killed by history. There must have been many families like the Gradovs, real people, people who maintained decent standards in the midst of indecency, who did their best to retain something of the personal life; who ensured, even in the most trying of circumstances, that they would not be drowned by the tides of time. For these generations Generations of Winter stands as a worthy testimony.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #18556 on: January 02, 2018, 07:59:29 AM »
Barb, you're right about clothing being warmer in colder parts of the country, and houses are better insulated, and furnaces heftier.  3 is still remarkable for here, and I bet it doesn't actually get that cold where I am.  But I remember one winter decades ago when we had a whole month in the low 20s, and by the end, my body had adjusted, and it felt more like the 30s normally feels.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #18557 on: January 02, 2018, 08:02:38 AM »
I never got around to reading Passage to India either, but I liked Howard's End very much too.  The house is definitely a real one of the characters.

Dana

• ::
« Reply #18558 on: January 02, 2018, 12:08:44 PM »
Thanks for that reference to Generations of Winter.  I shall definitely read it.  Presently i am reading Crime and Punishment at a chapter a day as I have always found it depressing and thus never read more than the first couple of chapters.  Now I'm up to chap 8 and it's getting quite gripping....but still not a happy read!  I'm into a Russian mode at the moment as I've recently finished biographies of Stalin and Lenin.  Fascinating men.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18559 on: January 02, 2018, 12:20:44 PM »
The Second of January - good grief - time gallops - did anyone see the huge moon - we were so overcaste we missed it again - looks like we may have one more shot at it the end of the month - I think we did it - filled up the page so we can start with the typical Library heading... whew...