Author Topic: The Library  (Read 2002711 times)

Frybabe

Re: The Library
« Reply #24000 on: May 29, 2024, 04:18:22 PM »
After my chores today, I took a little time to visit Project Gutenberg www.gutenberg.org and ended up downloading about 15 books/magazines. My prize is about a third or more of them are Blackwood's Edinburgh Magazine.  I used to subscribe to Blackwood's for a few years when I was in high school or shortly thereafter and have read a few of them via Project Gutenberg some years ago. I really liked that magazine with its' travel tales and essays. If I remember correctly, it also used to run serial stories. It was in publication from 1817 to 1980. Two other notables is a Dorothy Sayer and two books by J. Holland Rose called William Pitt and National Revival and William Pitt and the Great War. The Great War here is referring to our Revolutionary War for Independence. I got tired of looking before I found any science fiction or westerns to download.

bellamarie

« Reply #24001 on: May 29, 2024, 04:56:37 PM »
Barb, I am so very sorry to hear you have injured your hand.  Prayers it will heal quickly.

Frybabe, what a great find!  I have never read anything in the Blackwood Edinburgh Magazine.  Am I correct in remembering our member Rosemary used to mention this magazine?  Has anyone heard from her lately?  I just loved her posts describing her walks.

“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

Frybabe

« Reply #24002 on: May 29, 2024, 06:44:41 PM »
I forgot to mention the two D. H. Lawrence books of short stories. And now I am back at it with just finding a translation of The Argonautica by Rhodius Appolonius (translator: R. C. Seaton) published in 1912 and a  book of the poetry of Theocritus that was translated into English verse by Charles Stuart Calverley (d: 1884) who was also poet. Well, that's enough already. It is time for a snack and TV.

BellaMarie, as far as I know Rosemarykaye is still doing her online blog.  I thought someone posted a link to one of them, but I must not have saved it. I thought I did, oh well.

Frybabe

« Reply #24003 on: May 31, 2024, 01:27:25 PM »
I am now reading Against a Dark Background by Iain M. Banks. This was, according to Wikipedia, the first science fiction novel he wrote that is not part of his Culture series. This book is a treasure quest set in a universe full of businesses, company and private militias and armies, and lawyers. No political government; everything is run by businesses. I am just loving this book, or should I say his writing. An example, in the last paragraph I read before stopping to make lunch reads.
It was raining and the wind was hurrying down the dimly lit street, filling the air with paper scraps like a flock of palely fluttering injured birds.

bellamarie

« Reply #24004 on: May 31, 2024, 07:51:09 PM »
Frybabe, just that one sentence shows the beautiful style of Banks writing.  Everything run by businesses, militias, armies and lawyers and no political government, now that has to be a first. 

I have begun another psychological thriller borrowed from my granddaughter Kenzie, titled She's Not Sorry. It is by Mary Kubica the author of Local Woman Missing. Kenzie, has managed to spark my excitement of reading again, although I am yearning for my beach book romances now that our pool is open and the temps are nice and hot here in Toledo, Ohio. 

Ciao~ Bellamarie
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”

Frybabe

« Reply #24005 on: June 02, 2024, 01:24:50 PM »
I think I've hit a jackpot of sorts: Professor Adam Smyth who is a professor at Balliol College at the University of Oxford. https://www.balliol.ox.ac.uk/professor-adam-smyth

His The Book-makers: The History of the Book in Eighteen Lives is on my Audible wish list which got me to looking up more of his books and a bio (above) of the author. I expect reading Professor Smyth's works will give me an even broader perspective. I am especially interested in Book Parts which he co-edited with Dennis Duncan. This book, for me, deserves the extra cost of a hardbound copy if I can be assured of decent quality. The last hardbound copy I ordered, of  a history book, was disappointing in quality.

bellamarie

« Reply #24006 on: June 03, 2024, 12:04:57 PM »
Frybabe, I order many hard cover books through Thriftbooks and have had great luck in them being in good condition.  I so love a hard cover book more than any other type of reading with ebooks being my least favorite, although I am not opposed to reading on my device since Amazon offers the free kindle book online each month.

Barb, I do hope you are healing and are able to be comfortable with your hand. 

We have had a whopping past few days, and I am ready to just chill out and read today.

Ciao~ Bellamarie

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #24007 on: June 03, 2024, 12:25:23 PM »
Getting there... thanks
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Frybabe

« Reply #24008 on: June 03, 2024, 05:52:34 PM »
Bellamarie, Professor Smyth's book has a wealth of photos, etc. which I much prefer seeing in a hard cover book. And, I actually think I have a little shelf space for it with my small collection of books about libraries, books, printing, etc.

Barb, I am looking forward to when you will be able to type more than a line or two again. Meanwhile, I expect you are spending extra time with your reading.

One of the things that I've been watching on YouTube lately is all these web posts for people going through abandoned houses, hospitals, hotels, etc. and sharing their clandestine and probably illegal breaking and entering into some of them. Some of these, especially in Great Britain with their inheritance laws and all, are not not altogether abandoned, but mired down in law suits and various other investigations. What upsets me most about these are seeing all those books rotting away in damp and deteriorating conditions. It does amaze me that, while some of these places appear to have been ransacked or used by druggies and such, that there are still plenty of things (sometimes valuable) left untouched. The number of family photos left behind is amazing; some of them even include pictures of prominent or famous people who the family once knew.

bellamarie

« Reply #24009 on: June 04, 2024, 12:43:08 PM »
Barb, good to hear from you and that you are getting better.  We sure do miss your posts but take your time and enjoy reading as Frybabe mentioned.

Frybabe, that's interesting you should mention watching on YouTube the shows with abandoned homes and places with valuables and family history left behind.  My hubby and I were just speaking about how today people don't seem to have the knowledge or sentimentality for items that could be worth holding on to.  My neighbor gave my husband a silver coin in perfect condition inside the original case folder minted by Fleetwood in 1966 he said he bought it at a garage sale.  I looked it up on Ebay and this is what it said, "This stunning Fleetwood coin commemorates Ireland's independence and is made of 0.833 fine silver. Minted in 1966, this coin is a true piece of history. With its beautiful design and high quality composition, this coin is a must-have for any collector. It has not been circulated and comes uncertified. The coin was manufactured in Ireland and features a denomination of 10 schilling. Add this incredible piece to your collection today!"

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/2HgAAOSwWHZmBsFA/s-l1600.webp

If and when the price of silver goes up as expected, this could be worth a lot of money.  One person on Ebay is asking almost $400 for it now and theirs is not in the original case. 

My son in law works for a refuse company in Florida and was about to unload his truck when he saw this old steel box on the ground, he opened it, and it had tons of minted coins inside.  Obviously, it was overlooked by family members discarding things and threw it out for junk.  What is that saying, "One man's junk is another man's treasure."

Well, it's going to be near 90 degrees today so I suspect I will read by the pool if I can tolerate the heat. Or go shopping!

Ciao~  Bellamarie

Frybabe

« Reply #24010 on: June 06, 2024, 04:29:26 PM »
Okay, I took the plunge and bought two of Smyth's books - hardcover. One I ordered through ABE Books and one through Amazon. Well, can I actually say that? Before Covid I bought a lot of used books through ABE Books. But today, I discovered that they are now an affiliate of Amazon so I used my Amazon account to order. Oddly, I got a better price through ABE (by at least $2) than if I bought it from Amazon even with paying postage. I say "oddly" because it is are the same independent seller.

Last evening I watched a YouTube clip about a obsessive collector of war items. Living in deplorable conditions somewhere out in the country in England, he had accumulated all kinds of things including a bomber gun-turret and a number of plane engines (some from the US). According to the clip, workers that were digging up a plugged sewer pipe on this guys' property they found body parts. They identified the parts as belonging to two 22 year old RAF pilots who were killed in a plane crash about five miles away back during WWII. The clip blurb says that there is a horror movie being planned around the story. The clip is dated as being posted a year ago. I told my sister about it. She loves horror stories.

What is Ginny up to. I thought we might here more from her since the Latin classes should all be just about done by now. Sure do miss her posts. 

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #24011 on: June 07, 2024, 12:20:28 PM »
daughter from NC here all week - pain gone but still not using my hand - picking type with left hand - oh oh - golly miss sharing and hearing from y'all - yes, Ginny
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

bellamarie

« Reply #24012 on: June 07, 2024, 05:13:42 PM »
Barb, glad to hear from you and your hand is doing better.  I'm sure you enjoyed your time with your daughter. 

Frybabe, Latin classes ended a couple of weeks ago I think I saw posted results which everyone did well.

I'm wiped out after having grandkids sleepover for two days, then great grandson day today along with a parade and birthday party included.  I'm hoping for a nice quiet weekend with reading intended.

Ciao~ Bellamarie 

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #24013 on: June 08, 2024, 03:29:15 PM »
Well I appreciate that, it's nice to be missed. We're always here, can't leave the website, even one this well protected, for any length of time.

Barbara,  I am so sorry about your hand, how did you break it? A fall? I hope not. Hope it's getting a little more bearable. Nothing like ageing, is there? My sprained knee which I thought was finally healed after 3 months has kicked in again, no fun.

Hello, Bellamarie, nice to see you back.

Frybabe  you truly read more than anybody I ever met.

School is out but the work goes on, in preparation for September. I WAS going to say I have nothing to report here about reading but in fact I am  reading, translating and writing out a chapter a day from Caesar's Gallic War, Book  V, parsing it and illustrating it for a handout for one of the 4 September in person classes. I like to do all the in person classes work before they start. This particular section I'm doing is  not in normal textbooks so I have never seen it before and it's jaw dropping. This class meets only 9 times in the semester, I've done 10 for the first class, but they are real go-getters and I probably need 18, so am keeping on. Tell you what, reading that during D Day remembrances really was meaningful this year.

I've found myself gravitating towards a schedule for my lovely quiet days and I think I'll stick to it, you get SO much done while feeling as if you're on vacay.  I read an article about the 10 Minute Rule in which you take 10 minutes a day and START on that project you've been putting off forever, and it's amazing how good it makes you feel...progress notwithstanding.

Here is What I am doing so far for a daily schedule, what are you all doing?  You can see why I have nothing to report.

I start  every morning by reading the BBC news and the Guardian newspaper and then play a lot of games on the ipad (good for the brain cells) and then the translation and because I get up SO early the rest of the day stretches out invitingly. So am scheduling it as well.

I've been reading after lunch the sheer indulgence of Agatha Christie, planning to reread ALL of hers. Those Miss Marple stories are magic. The other day I reread And Then There Were None, and despite having seen the movies100 times and read the book ditto, I was once again transported to the island and the falling little statuettes on the table. At the moment I'm reading  a list of HER favorite of all her books and they are magic. No wonder archaeologists love Christie. Some of hers are weaker than others, but I'm happily reading one about every 3 days. (WITH the "fake fire," Tome!)_ hahaha and it's 90 degrees out last week, so a real one would be a bit much.

Am also watching over lunch Escape to the Country which I absolutely love (Jules Rules) hahaha and the original Mapp and Lucia with Nigel Hawthorne on both youtube (free) and Brit Box.  They are remastered and sharp as can be, and WHY does the cast look so YOUNG???   They used to look so old. Also yesterday I was shocked to see  Season 10 of the Danish program Badehotellet (Seaside Hotel) is now out on PBS, and you can see all previous 9 years if you like. I love that thing, and am thinking I might watch it from the first show.  I'm thinking an hour of TV a day won't kill what grey cells are left.

Plus Plus Plus...I'll put the rest in the Books Into Movies thing. Talking about that, have so enjoyed the Jeeves and Wooster episodes on youtube ( and so are the rest of the audience if the comments are right) and now have Wodehouse's books to read in front of the faux fire as well.
What with the PT guy saying walk every day and the gardens here (I'll report on that, too, in  the Gardening by the Book area, the repairs on the house and the purchase of  some additional land to end an easement conflict, lawyers and stress everywhere , and lots of  happy family events, etc., it's been, so far, a very  BUSY promising beginning to the summer. Our sons are SO much help. I figure it will take me about 6 summers to calm down and totally veg out. hahahaa

bellamarie

« Reply #24014 on: June 09, 2024, 01:34:12 PM »
Ginny, nice to hear from you.  Wow it seems you have a full and perfect schedule for your summer, you seem to have it all laid out allowing time for everything for a peaceful relaxing summer.  So sorry to hear about your sprained knee.  It does take forever for our body to bounce back at our ages. 

I can't seem to get anything sorted out with my grandkids and great grandson surprising me with events they want me at and unexpected sleepovers along with needing our assistance in picking them up from swim classes and volleyball camps.  How is it that my hubby and I have been retired for almost 6 years and we are busier than when we were working full time.  The days are going by way too fast, and I can barely catch my breath.  We sat here this Sunday morning after breakfast attempting to plan a little lake getaway for my birthday in July. We have a favorite spot in Marblehead, Ohio that has a beautiful resort on the water with quaint little shops uptown to browse.  We just got back last summer after the shutdowns from covid and was so sad to see how many of the small shops have closed, they weren't able to financially stay afloat. :( 

My mornings consist of waking up to listening to my Bible study online for the first hour, then down to breakfast on the patio with my hubby weather permitting.  I then tend to my flower gardens which have become so abundantly in bloom it takes my breath away to realize all my years of hard work designing and planting perennials have paid off.  Hubby keeps up with our in-ground pool even though it rarely gets used any more since both sons have pools and hold all the activities at their homes now.  I guess that is to be expected and I really don't mind not having to do all the planning and preparing for those family get togethers anymore.  I just make a few dishes and bring them to their homes.  Another part of aging... our home is becoming less and less a gathering place, but we don't mind we enjoy our quiet time with our feisty dog Brinkley!  Our son has been giving us a full court press in moving closer to them, but we love our house, area, community, church, and that we are just 30 minutes from my small hometown in Michigan and only 40 minutes from their houses in Perrysburg, Ohio, so it's a hard NO at this time. 

As for time for reading, I have to do better in slotting out a regular time.  I too love to play words games on the iPad with friends and family, it keeps my mind active.  I am a late owl, so I catch up on tv recordings after hubby and Brinkley turn in for the night.  All our regular shows we like to watch together have come to an end for the season, so we find ourselves enjoying Jeopardy. I record it and we watch it together and laugh when we actually come up with an answer.  Oh, life in the slow lane can be so fun! 

Okay, gotta run to play Monopoly with hubby and grandson Zak.  We've started a summer tournament to see who wins the most games throughout the summer.  He is 16 years old, and we are cherishing what time we still have with him before he begins driving and won't have time for Nonnie & Papa.

Oh, before I leave, I must mention I checked into the page of gardening and must say, Ginny your pictures are spectacular, and your grandson is very handsome.  It's great your sons are a big help to you.  I'll have to post some pics of my gardens when I get the time. 

Hope y'all have a blessed & beautiful Sunday and week ahead.

Ciao~ Bellamarie 

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #24015 on: June 10, 2024, 11:14:44 AM »
Thank you, Bellamarie. I look forward to your photos as I recall your borders were very pretty when you were here before, and showed a lot of work.One fascinating thing about living here is that snapdragons are perennials if watered a lot, which is amazing to me.

Yes, I agree, isn't it interesting how busy one can BE in old age while retired? i think maybe it's like being a kid in a candy shop, you finally  get to do everything you always wanted to, the way you want to do it, if you are able and IF you are lucky health wise, but we don't realize we are slower to do it, and it takes us a lot longer to recover, so naturally it takes time. I may be speaking from a different perch than I did in my  70's but there is a definite difference in the 80's. Things happen. I'm surprised how much difference physically, and it appears it's up to us,  (and nobody else) if we're lucky enough to still be alive, to try to improve physically if we possibly can. I am reading the muscle loss daily along in an 80 year old is staggering unless you do something about it.

And mentally IF we possibly can.  And  maybe try to do something for others as well. Having staggered through 20 sessions of PT, I am just beginning to realize what's required physically that I never thought about before.  Your pool should be a wonderful resistance trainer in itself.

It sounds you have a lovely life.

I have my crash days also and I really want to veg out the entire day, and the "MUST DO RIGHT NOW" can wait.

Am currently also reading the 6 extant letters / fragments of Caesar left which Cicero and others  in the way of the Romans managed to preserve for us by copying them or appending them to their own works, in  Cicero's case  his own letters to Atticus. someday they will make a Hollywood Movie about Atticus and Cicero, and THAT will be something to see. Atticus pulled the strings from a very safe distance and Cicero paid the price, I guess would sum it up.

Nothing new under the sun as they say.

Frybabe

« Reply #24016 on: June 12, 2024, 06:43:59 PM »
One of my Smyth books is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Can't wait!

My current reads are:

Poul Anderson's Star Fox. I am not into it very far, but am enjoying it. I believe it is the first time I I have read any of his works unless there was a short story or two which I entirely forgot about. The main character and a few others in the book have Scandinavian names, so I was thinking Anderson was from Scandinavia somewhere. But no, he was born in Bristol, PA. His parents were from Sweden. Shortly after his birth the family moved to Texas. What is it with PA and Texas and PA and Michigan? So many people that I have known or been aware of have either gone to or come from there.

Iain M. Banks' Against a Dark Background (loving this one). It is part family saga and part space adventure/treasure hunt. Ex-military members back together again to help the main character track down an old family relic that is supposed to be the key to finding the last of an extremely destructive military weapon. Of course, everyone wants their hands on it.

Tom Holland's The Rise of Athens (in audiobook format) which is, so far, just okay. Regarding the last, Chapter 1 was entirely about Greek myths, Chapter 2 covered the Trojan Wars, and now I am reading about the Spartans. Old info. Nothing, so far, I needed a refresher on. So, so far, a little disappointed though his writing does seem a bit less "stiff" (dry?) than the first book of his I read.

I am happy to be back reading more now that everything from the move and house sale are done. The apartment is a breeze to clean giving me more time, but getting less exercise. I've also been spending way too much time watching streaming videos this week.

Tomereader1

« Reply #24017 on: June 12, 2024, 09:39:34 PM »
I have been spending a nice slow time reading a wonderful book.  "A Passion for Books" - A Book Lover's Treasury of Stories, essays, Humor, lore and Lists on  Collecting, Reading, Borrowing, Lending, Caring For and Appreciating Books.  It is edited b Harold Rabinowitz and Rob Kaplan.  I said a nice, slow time: it is not something one would just race through, so I've been parceling out a few chapters at a time.  Some are very short, some are a bit longer.  A delightful one on Samuel Pepys, and how he left his enormous library to Magdalene College in Cambridge.

The Modern Library's 100 Best Books list:  I was totally suprised at how many of them I have read; Also surprised at D. H. Lawrence with three books on the list!  If your library has this "Passion for Books", check it out.  It is also available through Thrift Books.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Frybabe

« Reply #24018 on: June 13, 2024, 09:35:11 AM »
Uh oh, Tomereader, you just added to my books to buy pile. Not only the one you are reading, but there are several more, written by Nicholas A Basbanes, that I want to look into. Basbanes has written numerous books about books. I am particularly interested in Every Book It's Reader and Patience and Fortitude. For Wordsworth lovers he has written Cross of Snow: A Life of Henry Wordsworth Longfellow. The Wordsworth book and On Paper are available at my online library. On Paper is now residing on my library wish list. As for your book, it is waiting for me to click the button to order it. Ray Bradbury's forward is a delight to read as is the first entry, Christopher Morley's poem In a Secondhand Book Shop.

The Modern Library's current top 100  Novels list does not exactly impress me. It got to making me wondering though, how the lists and criteria to be considered have changed over the years. The list of questions at the bottom of the page are worth thinking about. https://sites.prh.com/modern-library-top-100

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #24019 on: June 13, 2024, 11:25:11 AM »
Goodness, Tome! As usual great books suggested!

I love the descriptions in that list of the Top 100 Novels, they make one want to read all the ones one has not. And for me  that list is pretty long: all these look good to me, and I'm somewhat surprised I haven't read them, though we've all heard of them, and some of them are authors I really like.

I'm going to literally throw a dart at this part of the  list and  read  the book marked, and see what comes up and report back on it. They all sort of seem of a theme, not sure how I missed some of these.

A HANDFUL oOF DUST  Evelyn Waugh

89. LOVING by Henry Green

83. A BEND IN THE RIVER by V.S. Naipaul

69.  THE HOUSE OF MIRTH by Edith Wharton

68.  MAIN STREET by Sinclair Lewis...have read, want to revisit again

91. TOBACCO ROAD by Erskine Caldwell

59.  ZULEIKA DOBSON by Max Beerbohn

24.  WINESBURG, OHIO by Sherwood Anderson

22.  APPOINTMENT IN SAMARRA by John O’Hara

Thank you for that list. The Great Summer  Reading Experiment: Books We Missed, or did we?

I did.

(Amazon as it turns out has a very nice feature in which you can read a sample first) so I've picked 2 (one was only $4.00 for the paperback,  how can you turn that down?)....

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #24020 on: June 13, 2024, 06:37:49 PM »
Bellamarie, you're braver than I am, reading in a floating chair. I know what would happen to my poor books.  I gave up reading in the bathtub eons ago for the same reason.

Ginny, that project of rereading all of Agatha Christie's works again sounds delightful.  I think I've read every full length book she wrote,  and almost all of her short stories, but it's hard to be sure, especially with the short stories, which were republished many times in different combinations with different titles.  I eventually reached the point where I had used up the rereading enjoyment, so I boxed up the collection and stored it in a corner.

Rereading some of her short stories you've talked about in recent years suggests it might be time to reopen the box.  Unfortunately, it didn't follow me here, so I'll have to get access another way.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #24021 on: June 14, 2024, 09:16:06 AM »
Me, too, Pat. I've got all of her books in a bound set for some reason I bought years ago. They are  up on the top shelves over two bookcases, really against  the ceiling and I can't reach them but I'm sure my children could get a ladder..and as you say the titles are different. (I always wanted one of those rolling library ladders, but I wouldn't climb one now if I had it). hahaha  They've always been different US vs British editions  but now they are different again. Clever, really, on the part of the publisher.

I started the quest with her volume of Miss Marple stories.  I like paperbacks and those with the little red A on them apparently are "approved" by her estate. All I know is the print in those particular little red A  books is satisfyingly large  enough, so I know they are readable. At least to me.  They've got all her short stories in one volume...and if that doesn't hook anybody,  nothing will.  So clever. Old protagonist who is overlooked but who can solve the case when nobody else can.  Right up my street. It's one of her favorite books, too.   hahaha I just ordered her "Crooked House," apparently one of her favorites. The one I just finished  yesterday was not quite up to par. Strangely enough I don't recall any of her "Tommy and Tuppence" mysteries, either. I have a feeling I possibly did NOT  actually read too many of them, I don't recall liking them. I may give them another go.

At the moment am reading Third Girl, apparently published in 1966. Poirot. It's OK. So far so good.

bellamarie

« Reply #24022 on: June 14, 2024, 07:06:23 PM »
Frybabe, The Modern Library's current top 100 Novels list does not impress me much either, but is it my imagination that it seems more like a movie list with so many titles made to movies?  They do seem interesting enough to me to want to do what Ginny did and take a few and throw a dart and see what it hits to read.  I am going to keep this bookmarked and choose one a month and see if I can get through some of these.  I mean why not?

PatH., you made me giggle picturing myself turning upside down with my book in hand on my floatie.  I do have a really nice relaxing chair for the pool, and thankfully our inground is only 5 ft. deep with large moon steps to easily get out of.  At my age and aches and pains I make sure to stay close to the steps.  lol I have ruined a few books over the years.

Tomereader, thanks for the heads up on Passion for Books.  I'll check it out.

As of now I am enthralled in another psychological thriller my granddaughter let me borrow called She's Not Sorry by Mary Kubica. So far not nearly as good as McFadden's thrillers.  Almost done so I will hold out judgement negative or positive til the end.

Barb, just want to say I hope you are healing and are doing okay.  I sure do miss your posts. 

Ciao for now~  Bellamarie

Frybabe

« Reply #24023 on: June 15, 2024, 06:44:55 AM »
Anyone remember reading The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski which was published in 2008? Well, I just got wind that just a few days ago that Familiaris, the prequel, has been released. I am tentatively putting it on my list because, while I bought the first book when it came out, it is still sitting on my bookshelf waiting to be read.

bellamarie

« Reply #24024 on: June 17, 2024, 11:07:48 AM »
Frybabe, I remember this book being one of Oprah's books of the month recommendations.  I have not read it, after reading reviews it sounds intent.  My neighbor signs at Mass for the deaf/mute and a good friend of mine also learned to sign having a mute sister.  I remember reading Helen Keller's book Diary of a Young Girl Anne Frank in high school. 

Well, I've finished She's Not Sorry by Kubica and without giving away anything let me just say it was too tangled and nonsensical for me.  A woman of high intelligence and being a mother makes decisions that puts herself and her daughter in more danger than necessary.  For me, it's like Kubica was trying to throw everything but the kitchen sink into this story.  Hmph...

I need to choose another book to read since this week in going to be a heat warning week with temps into the mid to high 90s.

Ciao~  Bellamarie     

Frybabe

« Reply #24025 on: June 17, 2024, 02:50:47 PM »
I finished up reading Against a Dark Background yesterday morning. The ending was and wasn't as I expected. I had a short list of who was behind all the mayhem and the culprit was on my list. However, the ending was much more devastating and deadly than I expected.

Next up from my online library is The Birth of the West: Rome, Germany, France, and the Creation of Europe in the Tenth Century by Paul Collins, an Australian writer and former Catholic Priest.

I went nuts a few days ago and bought a few more books, and audiobooks, and downloads a bunch of borrows from audiobooks, most of the borrow are Great Courses lectures.

The second of my hardcover books, Book Parts, arrived today, but I haven't peaked into it yet. Other than putting laundry into the dryer, I think I can sit down and relax with some reading now.

bellamarie

« Reply #24026 on: June 18, 2024, 11:36:10 AM »
Frybabe, it's so fun when you receive a package in the mail knowing it's a book you've ordered! I still to this day love hardcover over anything.

Well, we are had a good thunderstorm last night after a day in the mid 90s and I have to say it just felt good hearing the rain and rumble.  Nothing serious but my poor Australian Silky Terrier hates storms and barks nonstop.  I remember Joy Behar wrote a children's book titled Sheetzu Caca Poopoo: My Kind of Dog and in it the dogs were all barking, and she used the term it was a hullabaloo, and every time my Brinkley goes into his barking episode, I think of it.  I expect with this heat we can expect these unpredictable pop-up storms in the evening.

We've been decluttering once again for our yearly church Spring/Summer rummage sale and what better way to get rid of so much stuff we don't need.  I always get excited when I am able to unload more things that I have been keeping thinking one day...  My kids and grands don't want any of this stuff so time to say good-bye to it.  Keep the memories get rid of the items.

I'm off to the used bookstore in search of finding something that will capture my interest, let you know what I find.
Have a good day and stay cool.

Ciao~ Bellamarie

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #24027 on: June 18, 2024, 08:12:34 PM »
couple more weeks - still left hand type picking - I'm not correcting errors - need two hands -

Ordered book The Birth of the West sounded too good to pass up - read a few books started last year -  also been reading one after the other books by Fiona Ferris - other similar authors but prefer her uplifting message - like best her suggestions in How To Live Well

reading most interesting the Bonjour Affect - the cultural difference in France needed before asking questions, get service, even enter a bus or receive attention from anyone you must start with eye contact saying Bonjour - other tips included all to do with culture and words that are expected unless you are dismissed as having been raised in a \Barn...

Also dowloaded history of sctoland wehn the clans were running everything... did not know the Jacobite's were a part of Scottish history...

big rain tomorrow... expecting flooding all over Houston... expect I'll be out of power during or right after the storm

Frybabe

« Reply #24028 on: June 19, 2024, 06:46:28 AM »
Bellamarie, did you get to the bookstore yesterday? Find anything?

I discovered, last night, that there are book collectors who share what they have on their shelves. It was late, so I only watched two. One was a Dr. Snyder(?) who has a huge collection of philosophical and related works, another had various history books and a top shelf with all his Greek and Latin language texts. One guy (they were all guys) pulled out his top history books which included one I read, and I saw two I have on my shelf. Unfortunately, most of the videos do not linger long enough, or the titles are a bit fuzzy or too small for me to read. I am going to try to watch more today. Whenever there are bookshelves behind speakers, no matter what the topic is of the video, I like to try and read the titles.

The Poul Anderson book I am reading started out rather interesting, but I am starting to lose interest. Sigh!

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #24029 on: June 19, 2024, 10:27:06 AM »
Well THERE is Barbara, welcome back, we've missed you, obviously.

Hope the severe storms pass you by and the hand is not too painful. What awful weather so many are having, super hot here, drought, no rain no rain, wish I had an automatic watering system and where are those British yard men when you need one to drop in? hahaha Don't know how all the birds at the bird feeders here are managing, they  have to fly to the pond, I guess, for water, it's a pretty good distance. Hasn't rained here in a LONG time.  Not to mention the rabbits, etc. Don't know how anything survives.

Almost finished Third Girl...it may be me but it's got a LOT of distracting characters, but I'm going to see it through. Jeeves is next, I got hooked on Wodehouse watching the reruns
 with Stephen Fry  on youtube, and  Hugh Laurie pulls it off and I'm not sure everybody could have... I can hear Fry when I read it. That's a good show, and I think most of the episodes are  there on youtube as well. Silly aristocrats smart Butler,  Greek and Roman comedy reborn.

And then Waugh's Handful of Dust, have always wanted to read it, and it's waiting, thanks to Frybabe's list. 

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #24030 on: June 19, 2024, 12:16:41 PM »
Third Girl from the Left - Ginny is it the novel or the memoir???   

OK so what did you find Bellamarie??? 

Confused frybabe are you watching those who lend from their library on youtube??? if so what is the series called???

bellamarie

« Reply #24031 on: June 19, 2024, 12:36:13 PM »
Oh, Barb, what a nice surprise to open up Seniorlearn and see a post from you.  Take your time and let your hand heal, but peck away with your left-hand grammar/spelling errors and all.   Your Bonjour Affect sounds delightful, wouldn't it be nice if we all could just acknowledge each other looking eye to eye with a kind word? 

Speaking of storms... tis the season. I saw where Sarasota, Florida got slammed with flooding the other day.  We are expecting some heavy storms as well today.  I pray our power stays on, as well as yours. 

Ginny, reading your concern for the birds, rabbits and other animals reminds me of the scripture verse:

Matthew 6:26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them.  

I have bird baths out in my yard they come to for water and the squirrels and stray cats help themselves to my pool water. My hubby faithfully fills the feeders each morning and late afternoon.  We generally sit out on the patio or at the kitchen table each morning and eat breakfast while watching all the birds and critters come for food and water.  The joys of being retired...

Frybabe, yes, indeed! I found a book I have already delved into it.  I tend to love epistolary type books just because reading the letters make the characters seem so personal, not to mention I do believe people tend to write more intimate and truthful in letters to a single person knowing it is intended to be private between the two of them.  So, the title of the book is The Lost Loves of World War II Collection.  The jacket of the cover drew me to the book. 

The Lost Loves of World War II Collection: 3 Novels of Questions Unanswered Since World War II
(Part of the Love & Romance Collections Series) by Sharon Bernash Smith and Bruce Judisch

So, ironically, I came home and read the first pages of this book and I had to laugh out loud, the two exchange students living in Germany are bantering back and forth about one is from the University of Michigan and the other is from Ohio State University, which if you all remember is a huge football rivalry and I am from Michigan and my hubby is from Ohio meaning we are what they call during football season, "A house divided."  How funny is this?  I told my hubby and neighbor this book was just sitting on that shelf in this used bookstore waiting for me!  It was the only copy they had. :) :)

I did look around for titles on Frybabe's list and they had a few of the books but I just wasn't pulled to buy them.  Some of the titles I recall were, Uncle Tom's Cabin, The Great Gatsby, Catcher in the Rye and a few others.  I may go back in a few days and buy them.  Pretty sure they will still be there.

Okay, must get moving pulling a few weeds in my flower gardens before it gets into the 90s.

Ciao~ Bellamarie

Frybabe

« Reply #24032 on: June 19, 2024, 04:56:37 PM »
Oh, how wonderful a find, Bellamarie. Isn't it wonderful when you can connect with a book, whether it be the writers, the characters, or those who inscribe notes or even just write their name on the book or place a bookplate in it.

I remember somewhere in the past I was told or heard that books with writing in them are not as valuable as books with no inscriptions or margin notes. The YouTube video I watched this morning vindicated me. Phillip Pirages (a seller of rare and expensive books) expressed delight at finding just such books connecting him to those who previously owned the book. The last book he talked about, and in my opinion the most interesting, was inscribed by Margo, but someone else made a further inscription below it stating that the book was hand bound, designed and tooled by the first inscriber and whose tutor was a Miss Whyte. Mr. Pirages believes the Miss Whyte mentioned is Madeline Whyte who became a teacher of bookbinding. According to him, Ms. Whyte was the only female student of Thomas J. Cobden-Sanderson (1840-1922) who he identifies as the "most important figure in the history of modern English book binding." I am ecstatic. Not only has he justified my thoughts about inscriptions in books, but he has added two names for me to look up. I sure do hope I see them mentioned somewhere in the two books I just purchased. Used books have a history. For me, that history counts for something.

Frybabe

« Reply #24033 on: June 19, 2024, 05:02:33 PM »
Sorry, Barb, almost forgot. Most of the clips I am watching are "normal" book collectors/readers who like to read and keep their books. They often pull out their favorites to make comments, analyses, or critiques of books they read.

Okay, I see it is dinner time. Have a nice evening everyone.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #24034 on: June 20, 2024, 09:01:29 AM »
That's exciting, Frybabe! I love that sense of discovery!

Barbara, the book is titled Third Girl and it's a mystery by Agatha  Christie, which, surprisingly, I really can't recommend. I had to push through to say I did. Not one of her best.

Bellamarie, I also like books of letters. That one looks particularly good. Love the cover.

On the subject of used books, I am sure this will be unpopular but I can't stand them.  One feels the need for a hazmat suit. :) The trunk of my car has them in zip lock bags which heat the library recommends to get rid of bedbugs, should there be any, as they apparently can't or won't penetrate plastic.

Apparently the bedbug can go for long periods of time without eating? I am amazed, truly, that I didn't pick some up in all those travels, but I didn't. Knock on wood. If you watch any of the travel advisories (youtube is now full of travel "experts") you would be appalled. They recommend putting your suitcase in the tub (when not wet obviously).  Every time I used to do that, the maids would take them out, so one lost that game before one started.

Idle thoughts this morning from an idle mind.

:)

bellamarie

« Reply #24035 on: June 20, 2024, 11:49:22 AM »
Oh, Ginny I can't imagine not purchasing or borrowing used books.  What would become of our libraries?  It's such a fun trip for me to go to our annual public libraries summer sale where you can fill a bag for only $5.00.  When I walk into a used bookstore, I get so excited just to see what I am going to find.  I've never given it a thought to look out for bedbugs in books. Thank you for the heads up on the plastic bag method. I do like to use antibacterial wipes to clean the jackets.  I totally agree with you when it comes to staying in a hotel room.  I keep my suitcases on the fold down racks, never on the floor.  I have to giggle imagining what the housecleaning people think when they come in and see your suitcases in the bathtub.  ;D   

Frybabe, I remember buying a used Jan Karon Christmas book titled Shepherd's Abiding and inside the cover a mother had inscribed an endearing note to her daughter.  I thought how nice it would have been to pass that down generations.  I've always been a note writer, I suppose it's the amateur author in me to want to express my thoughts and feelings with pen and paper rather through texts.  I write notes inside birthday and Christmas cards especially to my grandchildren.  My granddaughter's fiancé was so touched when I had written him a little note inside his card.  He said he didn't think anyone wrote notes anymore.  The funniest thing for us baby boomers in a room at a party was when my niece opened her high school graduation card next to her boyfriend and he could not read my cursive handwriting.  He said his school did not teach cursive. Now that shocked me! 

The YouTube you watched sounds interesting, could you post the link?

It's going to be another day into the 90s so I'm going to sort through some closets and then read this afternoon. 

Ciao~ Bellamarie   

Frybabe

« Reply #24036 on: June 20, 2024, 12:38:40 PM »
Eewwww Ginny. You just reminded me why I've been buying and borrowing e-books (and  now audiobooks). Our main county library got hit with bedbugs a few years back. They had to close and fumigate the place. I don't remember if they fumigated the whole library or just the shelving that they discovered the bedbugs on.

Bellemarie, I can do you one better. Here is Philip Pirages' home page. https://www.youtube.com/@pirages/videos  The one I saw is from way back 12 years ago, titled Introduction to Antique Books. It may have been his first video. I notice that he has a video about Thomas J. Cobden-Sanderson who I mentioned in the previous post. He also has one about the Guild of Women Binders. Just to give you an idea of the value of some of the books he handles, here is his business website.
https://www.pirages.com/ The two newest entries on You Tube are listed on his website. Please be seated when you read some of the prices. Gasps are expected.

Unbelievable: I just found books authored by Phillip Pirages on Amazon. Most are catalogues from years past, but a few like his memoir are in hardcover. Many are now unavailable. Time to hit the used book stores.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #24037 on: June 21, 2024, 08:07:50 AM »
Phillip Pirages??? Oh my goodness,  I've bought quite a bit from him, but not in his books inventory but rather in his  illuminated manuscripts, catalogs and ms pages (and those which I did buy are quite humble). He's got at least two sets of catalogues, and the one I got (he used to also send the books one, what treasures, what treasures) but he also had treasures in the Illuminated Ms. ones.  If one wanted to own a piece of history one can for not a lot of money. The problem IS as your taste improves, the price goes up to the point that you can't justify paying for it... hahaha a double edged sword.

BOY has he got some spectacular stuff!

It seems like every year he has several BIG shows, isn't there one coming up in NYC this week, perhaps? Or next?

:) Bellamarie, I expect the maids are familiar with the tub thing,  since it's recommended everywhere, especially for international travel... Here's one from NYC on bedbugs where you'll see it:

https://www.nyc.gov/assets/doh/downloads/pdf/bedbugs/bed-bugs-travel.pdf

Some of these websites written by the staff of hotels are eye openers, no joke. Why you should never use the drinking glasses, why you don't want to use the drawers, it goes on and on. For that matter there are some sites written by airline personnel too, which are worth reading sometimes. I personally would never use the little fold out thing for a suitcase.

But I mean you can't go around in a hazmat suit. hahaha Everything in moderation. I must say that I never thought of a hard side suitcase being better than the fabric, hmmmm. Something to think about.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #24039 on: June 22, 2024, 01:17:34 AM »
too much for me to label each  - maybe someone can