Author Topic: The Library  (Read 2049253 times)

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
Re: The Library
« Reply #17000 on: June 18, 2016, 05:11:30 PM »
The Library
Our library cafe is open 24/7, the welcome mat is always out.
Do come in from daily chores and spend some time with us.

We look forward to hearing from you, about you and the books you are enjoying (or not).

Let the book talk begin here!
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #17001 on: June 18, 2016, 05:13:47 PM »
The other night I was so tired and up to my ears with the tensions of the folks I am working with who are moving - problems getting the house they are selling up to what buyers expect and trying to be approved for a loan and having the inspection on the house they are buying and that seller needing more assurance since he is trying to buy in Fort Worth and he is up against multiple offers - on and on - so I decided to shut them all off and watch a movie using Amazon.

I like French movies and I finally clicked on Bicycling With Molière. What a delight... I knew of Molière but since most of his stuff is performed in French and my French is not that good I never got into his work - well - he is another one like Voltaire - filled with these pithy saying that say tons - the movie is about two actors, one who retired and was living in a falling down house he inherited from his uncle and the other a current heartthrob on TV who wanted to do Molière's play The Misanthrope

The movie is brilliant in that the basis of the play is represented in these two actors as they not only practice the parts but in 'real' life (real to the movie) they are similar to the part they play and experience some of the same betrayals, mischief's and toying with each other as in the play.

Of course I had to order a book of this play - has not yet arrived - but now I really want to learn more about the plays written by Molière - had no idea how many - this one appears to be a delightful romp without the silliness and heavy drawing room flirtations that is included in many of the English stories, like the Barchester Towers by Trollop.

After the book arrives I may just have to rent the movie again to follow and compare the play with the movie but for sure there will be a few more short quotes to see the truths in life. 
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

CallieOK

« Reply #17002 on: June 18, 2016, 06:41:10 PM »
Annie, I'm not the one who knows how to get in touch with Steph, but I agree with you and hope that she will feel our good thoughts.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #17003 on: June 18, 2016, 09:32:14 PM »
Callie, it's Tomereader who emailed Steph.  Sorry to mix you two up.  I hope she sees my post and passes all the kind posts for Steph to her.  She is a nice lady.
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

Tomereader1

« Reply #17004 on: June 18, 2016, 10:00:42 PM »
Steph said, in her email to me: "I get cranky about orders as I get older" and I read that to mean she may feel we are issuing orders about her coming in here.  So, I will just let the posts stand as written and when she comes in, she can see we were all caring and worrying about her absence.   She says she needs time and rest. 

We luv you Steph!
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #17005 on: June 19, 2016, 03:56:23 AM »
Yes, we miss her - and yes, we can understand wanting a rest - Steph started us every morning with a blurb in the Library - it was nice to hear what she was doing - often walking the dogs or taking care of some maintenance around the house and this time of year she was usually in the mountains of North Carolina - it was nice keeping up and being a part of her life - not sure either what orders but hopefully we find out. I am so glad Tomereader you have a good connection and relationship with Steph - friends mean everything. 

bellamarie

« Reply #17006 on: June 20, 2016, 10:51:53 AM »
Thank you Tomreader for contacting Steph and letting her know her morning posts are missed.  I understand she needs a break, I too at the same time as her felt it was time for a time out.  I took a little breather, but I truly love having all of you here to check in daily with and share our happenings.  I hope she will come back at some point.  Until then, I wish her all good health and happiness on her morning walks with her Corgi.  :) 
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #17007 on: June 20, 2016, 05:52:58 PM »
Maybe it is just me who was looking for more out of the Book" The Storied Life of A.J fikry" I had seen it mention a few time and then it became the Discussion in here and So i put my name down at the library and read it this week. I found nothing to the story. Couldn't see how he was able to get the little girl. Very little about the book Stolen which was suppose to be worth a million. Then it did show up at the end of the book as to what happened to it. The romance with  the sales rep. No interest there either.  Doubt a movie will be made from it.
Maybe because it has been in the 90s here for past 2 weeks I am just reading way to much. I was a little surprised that he died in it.

bellamarie

« Reply #17008 on: June 20, 2016, 11:36:50 PM »
I came in not expecting to read the spoiler of A.J. Fikry.  We are not finished reading it yet.  I have enjoyed the book and discussion up to now. 
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #17009 on: June 21, 2016, 10:45:23 AM »
Bellamarie, I hope you'll continue to enjoy it.

bellamarie

« Reply #17010 on: June 21, 2016, 10:56:16 AM »
PatH.,  I will continue, I have to see how it all ends.  These last three chapters were really strange.  In Part II A Conversation With My Father:  "Dying father argues with daughter about the "best" way to tell a story.  You'll love this, Maya, I'm sure.  Maybe I'll go downstairs and push it into your hands right now.   __A.J.F.

When I read this I felt an urgency in A.J. needing to teach Maya all that he could. I have to read on to find out everything that happens. 

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #17011 on: June 21, 2016, 11:07:06 AM »
Found these two quotes when I opened my server this morning - just need to share they are so lovely.

The moon will guide you through the night with her brightness, but she will always dwell in the darkness, in order to be seen.

Tell me the story...
About how the sun loved the moon so much...
That she died every night...
Just to let him breathe...

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #17012 on: June 21, 2016, 02:37:45 PM »
I'm glad you heard from Stephanie, Tome, thank you for writing, now we can all stop worrying that something dire has happened. Good news!

What's everybody reading? I've read some great books and some not so great. I read Dawn French's new one According to Yes. I don't think I would recommend it. On the one hand the nanny in the book does work miracles in a pretty stuffy messed up family, and I admire her creativity. On  the other hand the way she does it is at once admirable in some ways  and...er...not something believable or desirable in others. So I guess there are lessons there, my vote on it is:  Skip it.

I finished Bill Bryson's hilarious Notes From a Small Island. Every single time my trip encountered an obstacle I'd pick him right back up and laugh my way thru his truly awful misadventures in trying to see England and it helped. A lot. I love his attitude.  Love that book.

I started Robert Harris's Dictator, he CAN write,  but I only got to page 3 I think it was in the intro before I was stopped by an inaccuracy, doggone it. I read on in the book, he's a good writer but truly I expected Cardinal  Wolsey to amble across the page any time.

I've started A Hologram for the King. I like Dave Eggars, and on my list (and I was happy to see an article in the new Entertainment Weekly on the best books of 2016 so far are two I already have: The Vegetarian and The Nest). So I'm looking forward to both of those. They added a non fiction, Evicted: Poverty and Profit in the American City and I've ordered that because on the plane I saw the extraordinary documentary called Homme Less.

Have you seen that thing? It came out in 2015. It's about this man: , former model, actor (has played in several well known movies and current  commercials), commercial photographer, $200 shoes, impeccably dressed... AND who.....sleeps on a rooftop in NYC. Under a tarp. And has for 6 years.   It shows how the homeless live and how he has coped. It's absolutely unforgettable. Never saw anything like it and probably never will again.

That's why I want to read Evicted. This and the Will Smith movie some years ago about the stockbroker,  which was also true,  sleeping in subway stations and missions has made me want to know more about this group in our society.

So what's on YOUR TBR list?

nlhome

« Reply #17013 on: June 21, 2016, 03:22:12 PM »
I am slowly working on The Scent of Secrets by Jane Thynne. It holds my interest, and I like the main character. I just have trouble reading books set in prewar (WWII) times in Europe right now. I also started In the Garden of Beasts, but I had to put that down, too serious. I have the most recent Donna Leon started also, and today is warm but not hot, so it looks like a good book to read on the deck with a glass of iced tea.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #17014 on: June 22, 2016, 05:44:18 AM »
A swarm of bees in May is worth a load of hay,
A swarm of bees in June is worth a silver spoon...
A swarm of bees in July isn't worth a fly

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #17015 on: June 22, 2016, 11:07:09 AM »
:)

Interesting on the bees. Ironically, we now have a major bee colony problem in this country. We used to have (he died) a beekeeper who would import only Italian queens, as he said they were calmer and you could  pet them, (and demonstrated) but you never wanted to get between any bee in their morning flight out (sort of a bee line) or back in. Anyway, we still have some of the hives. I'm not really an insect person but apparently the problem is, and has been,  serious for a while. Some kind of virus.

Nlhome, that sounds good, I don't know that author, thank you for mentioning it. Let us know how you like the new Donna Leon.

That's one really good thing about reading, you can go where your fancy at the moment takes you, no matter what it is. And it might change from day to day. Mine does.  I think that's why so many of us have such huge piles of TBR: sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't: it's always YOUR choice, which is nice, too.

I love Hologram for a King. It's a hit.  I thought yesterday I simply would sit there and read it  till I finished it. Had to stop finishing it tho to watch Messi play soccer on TV last night, as we just went to see him play live in Boston. 

Absolutely incredible. Wonderful role model for children interested in soccer. A book recommended on the SI site for kids from 5-10 is Sean Wants to be Messi. I've ordered it for my grandson, a huge fan.

But on Hologram for a King, you'd be hard pressed to find better book reviews, it's wonderful. They made,  as I said,  a movie out of it with Tom Hanks which came out in April, and was not so well received. I don't think it came here. Too bad. I like Tom Hanks. I'll watch it in August when it comes out on DVD.

A Hologram for a King: a man loses direction in life and pins all his hopes on one last project in the desert of Saudi Arabia. where he has never been.  "Fascinating." "Completely engrossing...Perfect." (Fortune Magazine). "One of the best books of the  year."  (Boston Globe, NY Times, San Fransisco Chronicle.)

I'm only 55 pages in.  Super book. Such fun to read.

Do you find you are reading more fiction in this heat or non fiction?

bellamarie

« Reply #17016 on: June 22, 2016, 12:00:00 PM »
In the summer I tend to read more fiction.  I like light, fun, and beach regions to read about.  I tend to choose books that take place in the Eastern part of the United States like Martha's Vineyard, or Connecticut where there are harbors and little quaint towns with nostalgic shops and homes.  If it includes a mystery all the better.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #17017 on: June 22, 2016, 01:18:30 PM »
Don't you just love this - from Oliver Twist...

Spring flew swiftly by, and Summer came; and if the village had been beautiful at first, it was now in the full glow and luxuriance of its richness. The great trees, which had looked shrunken and bare in the earlier months, had now burst into strong life and health; and stretching forth their green arms over the thirsty ground, converted open and naked spots into choice nooks, where was a deep and pleasant shade from which to look upon the wide prospect, steeped in sunshine, which lay stretched out beyond. The Earth had donned her mantle of brightest green; and shed her richest perfumes abroad. It was the prime and vigour of the year; all things were glad and flourishing

nlhome

« Reply #17018 on: June 22, 2016, 04:16:24 PM »
I finished Waters of Eternal Youth last night - it was a good day for sitting outside and reading. (I prefer fiction at any time, although I always have a nonfiction book waiting in the wings, and in summer I just tend to read more for some reason.) I liked it, it seemed to hold together a bit more and there was some real police work this time, along with the usual contemplation of Venice's beauty and the foibles and failures of people that Leon includes. Plus the food. Always the food and drink. I get hungry at the descriptions of meals.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #17019 on: June 23, 2016, 09:16:28 AM »
I love your ideas of a beach book, Bellamarie. I haven't been to the beach in years but I always had a special type I enjoyed, isn't  it funny what you like when you like it.  I liked fiction on the rich and famous and their problems. It's amazing how many of those types of books there are. Some people would rightly call them trash.  hahaha Kane and Abel, that type of "Dynasty" type of read.

I liked taking the book (paperbacks) right down to the water and the beach chair and they would swell up? I don't know why? I bet some of you do here but I never got them wet, so couldn't figure out what was going on but I have memories of those "beach books" to this day.

Barbara, that IS wonderful. I love Dickens. Oliver Twist was a revelation to  me and I came late to it, it's only been a few years ago. I love the way he writes.  Usually several times of the year I really miss reading him,  but get distracted by others first and sadly never do it. Apparently...Trollope  is going to be the big thing this fall, the British are   coming out with a new series on him or so I've read. I've tried for years to get into Trollope and failed. Maybe this is the year.

Nlhome, that really does sound  good, and it's brand new, too! I'm going to look for it here, I read up on it, too. I love the concept of reading outside. It's SO hot here and the BUGS!!!  that it's more a dream than a reality, but the very idea is lovely.

Whoops, I'm late for an appointment out of town. Was so enjoying the book talk here I lost track of the time. See you later. :)

bellamarie

« Reply #17020 on: June 23, 2016, 11:14:06 AM »
Ginny,  I had to giggled when I read this,
I liked taking the book (paperbacks) right down to the water and the beach chair and they would swell up?

I always would took my paperback out to my inground pool and laid in my floating chair.  No matter how careful I was those pages would come in contact with water and poof!!!!!  I hated when the pages swelled up, I felt I ruined the book.  Now I spend more time on my two seater umbrella swing on the patio, with my dog Sammy, swinging and reading.  We go to the beach at least a couple times a year.  Every vacation we take MUST include a beach and a dock, or I feel cheated.  Water is the way I relax.

We are just finishing up A.J. Fikry and I plan to begin The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman.  The library just notified me it is in from being on hold for me.  Seems it is in huge demand.

Frybabe

« Reply #17021 on: June 24, 2016, 08:15:34 AM »
Never fails!

There must be some law of the universe that says that when more then one book is on hold (some for quite a while) they all release at once.

Currently reading and almost done with the third of the Dark Space scifi trilogy and one Roman history.

bellamarie

« Reply #17022 on: June 24, 2016, 02:10:43 PM »
Well, drat!  I went to pick the book up at the library and seems I was too late....gone!  I looked up at least a half dozens books I wanted on the New York Times bestseller list and of course they had none of them as well.  Has anyone read,  All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr? 

Tomereader1

« Reply #17023 on: June 24, 2016, 03:15:22 PM »
If the book was "on hold" for you, how did it get given to someone else?  Need to have a word with someone there.
Our libraries won't even let us "renew" a book we got on request if there are others waiting for it!
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #17024 on: June 24, 2016, 04:33:29 PM »
OH it's back, it's back, it's BAACK, the Great British Baking Show (as we call it here), the #1 show on British TV, is coming BACK to PBS on July 1, that's NEXT Friday,  but not HERE where I live, we're always a week behind but it IS coming!

"The World's Most Polite Cooking Competition," and winner of every prize there is, is BACK!

See for yourself (if it's on your PBS station) what all the fuss is about. AND it's the most recent one!! 

http://www.pbs.org/food

THANK you, PBS!!  I can't wait. SUCH a day brightener. Perhaps it's on that Sunday here, my DVR won't go to Sunday.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #17025 on: June 24, 2016, 05:02:57 PM »
WHOO HOO!

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #17026 on: June 24, 2016, 06:19:07 PM »
Tomereader, at my library you have 10 days to pick up a hold, after which it's given to the next in line.

bellamarie

« Reply #17027 on: June 24, 2016, 06:37:43 PM »
Yes, it seems they emailed me to let me know it was in and I had not checked my email.  They used to call and leave a message on your answering machine if you were not able to pick up.  I've been so busy with my grandkids the past week I just overlooked the date on the email.  Oh well I decided to begin  a book called, Family Pictures by Jane Green, NYTimes bestselling author of Another Piece of My Heart.

Anyone read this book or this author before?

Ginny, you sound as excited for your cooking show as I am about Big Brother being back on for the summer.  :) 

mabel1015j

« Reply #17028 on: June 24, 2016, 08:00:07 PM »
I know there are some librarians in here, and many library-frequenters 😀, so I thought you might like to see this. First, a picture of a beautiful library with interesting architectual features. Second, the list of awards for innovative library projects. I love the zig-zag shelves. I wish someone would figure out how to bring the lower shelves to eye level - like rolling, up-and-down files - because it seems the author I'm looking for is always on the bottom shelf.

http://mediashift.org/2016/06/knight-awards-second-round-of-news-challenge-winners-for-library-innovation/?utm_content=buffer3b9ef&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Jean

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #17029 on: June 24, 2016, 08:45:14 PM »
I love interesting libraries.  When JoanK and I were children, one of our favorite Saturday excursions with our father was to check out different libraries.  We lived in DC, so there were plenty.  One of my favorites was Mount Pleasant, which had some nifty open circular staircases to upper floors.  The Georgetown Library is on a hill, where you can look down on the neighborhood, and if I remember correctly, the upper story has an open atrium looking down on the lower floor.  Wherever we went, we always came home with armloads of books.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #17030 on: June 25, 2016, 08:08:37 AM »
What a gift it is to take a child to the library, they never forget it. What a lovely custom your father had in taking you two to different ones on your outings, PatH. My first memory of a library was the local one in Philadelphia, in Holmesburg, with a forbidding horror of a librarian who seemed to me, poor timid little thing that I was,  to hiss steam, all she said was SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSH. And of course being hyper,  it was all I thought about, getting back outside to scream, (which I did).  I remember almost holding my breath till I could get back out and scream. I guess I have authority problems? hahahaa  My poor mother.

I remember the first library book I ever got, it was a book about horses, which I was mad over, and showed a horse jumping over a car.   Said to be true. Can't recall if it was a drawing or a photo. Had to have the book, despite my mother's attempts to steer me on to something else, so we got two.  Couldn't get over it.  I'm not sure how old I was but I do know we moved from Philly when I was 5.

What an awful thing animal rights were in the old days, I still remember the Steel Pier in Atlantic City and the diving horses? Mules? Whatever they were. Ponies? Surely you wouldn't see that today. The horse or whatever it was would "dive" (the platform would drop)  off a high diving board into the ocean? pool? from the tall pier. Everybody said the horse or whatever enjoyed it.  Hard to believe in 2016, huh?

Bellamarie, yes I am totally excited about The Best British Baking Show which they can't call Bake Off here because of Pillsbury I think, but it's a solid hour of cordial, civil, polite pleasure, showing people who do things well, competing but at the same time  helping each other cheerfully and there's even history, a little segment talking about the history of whatever the feature of the day IS (and I need it, I never heard of half of those things).. It makes you feel better, I wish they'd rerun them all.

I mentioned  Rosemary Kaye in the PBS, I hope she revisits soon, I am interested in her opinions about a lot of news in the UK, starting with Brexit and The Ultimate Collector and the new Dad's Army.  I have the old one, I am not sure which Army I prefer.

Jean, remember that library at Moorestown? It's my all time favorite, you don't see things like that much any more.  How is your husband doing? What a scare for you both!

Frybabe, you are spoiled for choice with them all coming in at once, what Roman history are you reading?

JoanK, WHOO HOOO II~ I am so excited! JUST what we need for the incredibly hot summer.

Frybabe

« Reply #17031 on: June 25, 2016, 09:16:27 AM »
Ginny, I am back to finishing up Racial Prejudice in Imperial Rome (A. N. Sherwin-White) that I started when we were reading Caesar. I only have a few pages left to read. It is a small volume, but I had put it aside when I started getting ahead of where we were in the Gallic Wars. Now the focus has shifted eastward to Greeks and Jews. I made some comments in the Classics Forum posts 890 and 891.

I recently finished an historical (Christian) fiction called Regarding Tiberius by Helena Mithridates Kleopatra and Bartholomew Boge. That is a bit deceptive; there was no Helena Mithridates Kleopatra. Boge, who is a composer/musician started out trying to write a rock opera, switched to a play, gave that up apparently and finally wrote the story as a book. I put my thoughts on the book over in the Fiction section, posts 6019 and 6020. At any rate, I know very little about the the Romans in the East and Mithridates and his wars except for the Bible stories. So, long story short, my next two Roman history reads will be Sherwin-White's Roman Foreign Policy in the East and Kevin Butcher's Roman Syria and the Near East.

bellamarie

« Reply #17032 on: June 25, 2016, 09:25:13 AM »
PatH., I love your story about Saturdays with your Dad at different libraries.  For years now I have been taking my grandchildren to all our newly renovated libraries in our city, we have lots of them.  Our downtown library is my favorite it has lots of glass walls and an atrium.  I love how the children's sections are all made into fantasy fun play areas now.  They put them further away from the adult sections so kids like Ginny can talk out loud, but I did find myself saying, Shhhhh to my five year old granddaughter Zoey yesterday as we entered the library.   She has grown to love books just like me!  She has to always get to scan them out.  Little Miss Independent, I love it!!! I just have to share a few pics of Zoey and her brother Zak...

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #17033 on: June 25, 2016, 05:30:55 PM »
PatH kindly didn't tell you about my earliest library memory. It must have been the first time I went to a library. I don't know how old I was: I was certainly potty trained, but I was so excited at having all those books at my fingertips, that I forgot, and left a big puddle on the floor. I was thoroughly ashamed, and promptly took myself to the other nd of the children's section, and started innocently looking at books, peering around to see if anybody noticed.  still remember that feeling of guilt and shame, but it didn't put me off libraries (my mom handled it very tactfully).

bellamarie

« Reply #17034 on: June 25, 2016, 06:02:22 PM »
Oh JoanK., that is hilarious!  I can just see you and PatH., as childhood sisters reading your books, and waiting for Saturday to come along to get more.   

I have to tell you when I was in high school, one day my bff and I were in Woolworth's on our lunch hour.  Back then living in a small town you could leave school, walk "uptown" have lunch, and be back before the bell rang.  Anyway....she and I were constantly making each other laugh, we started one of those fits of laughter where you can't stop and she peed a puddle right there on the store floor.  The saleswoman looked at us horrified, and all we could do is barrel out of there holding our stomachs laughing til we cried.   Good for your Mom, accidents happen.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #17035 on: June 25, 2016, 09:11:43 PM »
Such attractive grandchildren.  Zak has a look of mischief.

bellamarie

« Reply #17036 on: June 26, 2016, 12:41:56 AM »
Thank you PatH.  Zak is my clown he will do anything to make me laugh.  He and I get into laughing fits and can't stop. 

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #17037 on: June 26, 2016, 11:19:44 AM »
They are both precious, Bellamarie, I know they are a source of great joy to you. I never understood about "grandchildren" till I had one. :) Isn't it lovely to see a young child with a book?  Well done, you!

So funny, JoanK, those early memories are such fun. I still have that child within, and often feel the same urge to scream but I do try to conceal it lest I be considered gaga. It's interesting how the same child in different ages provokes different reactions. My mother used to like to tell a story about how I at a young age (before the age of 5 obviously since we left Phila then) walked down the block to the ice cream  store in Philadelphia (you can tell this was a different time in history) on my own, slipped out of the back gate, very independent little cuss,  and climbed up to the counter and requested an ice cream cone. When I had no money to pay for it, and it was denied,  I huffed  and said, "Well, I'll just go somewhere else and get one  then," and stomped off. She called my mother. I've often thought of that vignette, in fact a month ago   when the driver I've used for 20+ years in  Sorrento sent a substitute to the Naples Centrale Train Station  who didn't show up. (That's been an ongoing matter of dispute, he says he did).

I'm not sure any of you have ever been stranded in the Napoli Centrale at night but it's not a place you want to be any time alone,  much less on a weekend night. That actual conversation from all those years ago flashed thru my head and that's exactly what I did. I got another one. The child is father of the man, as Wordsworth said.

I recently finished an historical (Christian) fiction called Regarding Tiberius by Helena Mithridates Kleopatra and Bartholomew Boge.

Frybabe, what is Christian historical fiction? I've never heard of it.   Is that what it's labelled? What does that mean and how is it different from history or historical fiction?

I wish someone would figure out how to bring the lower shelves to eye level - like rolling, up-and-down files - because it seems the author I'm looking for is always on the bottom shelf.

Me, too, Jean!!!  Why IS that? Every book I want I end up standing on my head trying to see the titles. Very undignified poses too.

I'm still reading Bryson, this time his Neither Here Nor There, I started with the Italy section, Rome, Naples,  Capri, Sorrento, he's such a hoot, it's too small, he needs to go back and write an entire book on Italy  today. Now we're in Milan and Como and he's right on again. You can do a world of armchair travel with the man, secure that he's telling it the way it really is, not the way the guidebooks paint it.   He is a perfect travel companion, you can pick it up,  have a laugh, learn something and put it down again over and over.

A good read any time. I'm reading my summer through all his books.

Frybabe

« Reply #17038 on: June 26, 2016, 02:55:29 PM »
Ginny, the book is listed under Historical Fiction or Christian Fiction. I just combined them. Anyway, there is no Christian anything in the book until you get about 2/3 or 3/4 of the way through and the Jewish people show up just past the half way mark. Best I can tell, the book has just bare bones historical fact. Not something I was happy with, but it did bring up some questions about the period and area of which I know very little, i.e. the Parthian Wars, Mithridates et.a. and their wars, and much of life and events in Asia Minor and Syria.   

mabel1015j

« Reply #17039 on: June 26, 2016, 03:15:56 PM »
Ginny, i suppose you are referring to the library in the Community House? Yes, it was a quaint old library, of course, the Community House is a jewel for Moorestown. It is still being used for many, many events for families. I moved here just before the "fortress" was built at 2nd and Church on the space where the old high school had been. The Community House library was much too small, so an award-winning-modern architect was commissioned to build the "new" library which was made of gray concrete and had no windows you see out of from inside, all the windows were at the top of the walls just under the eaves. As with many new large buildings, it leaked and the hvc system was a mess. So after a fire neccesiatated the building if a new town hall, the decision was made to combine the town hall, court house and library across the parking lot on the corner of 3rd and Washington. It's a beautiful colonial style building and fits the community much better than the "fortress" had.

Bellemarie, I love the title of the nook your granddgt is reading. :)

Having much stress these last. Few months, I was looking for something fluffy and light to read. I hadn't read any Danielle Steele for a long time, so i got two ebooks of hers. Here is the evaluation I wrote on Amazon about it.  :D

TITLE : a delightful story.............The Property of a Noblewoman. This was a fun, predictable, uncomplicated book, great for summer reading. However, Steel must not have an editor - they seem to be in short supply these days - every idea in the book was repeated about a half dozen times by various characters, or just by the author. The book could have been half as long, but I guess that doesn't meet the page requirements for a book. the concept of the "property of a (dead) noblewoman" having a huge impact on people she had never met was an interesting one.

Jean