Author Topic: America's Prophet by Bruce Feiler February Bookclub Online  (Read 43850 times)

BooksAdmin

• TopicManager
America's Prophet by Bruce Feiler February Bookclub Online
« on: October 28, 2009, 11:58:52 AM »

The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  everyone is welcome to join in.

AMERICA’S PROPHET: MOSES AND THE AMERICAN STORY explores the role of Moses as America’s true founding father and the inspiration for everyone from the pilgrims to Benjamin Franklin, the Statue of Liberty to Superman, Abraham Lincoln to Ronald Reagan to Barack Obama. ~ from correspondence between Bruce Feiler and Ann

Why did a 3,000-year-old prophet, played down by Jews and Christians for centuries and portrayed in the Bible as a reluctant leader, become such a presence in American public life? ~ Washington Post, October 18, 2009.

When the Supreme Court began its new term this month, the justices went to work in a building overflowing with Moses. The biblical prophet sits at the center of the structure's east pediment; he appears in the gallery of statues leading into the court and in the south frieze of the chamber; the Ten Commandments are displayed on the courtroom's gates and doors. ~ Washington Post, October 18, 2009

LINK:  Moses on the Web  

Discussion Leader:  Ann

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
Re: America's Prophet by Bruce Feiler ~ Proposed for February
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 12:44:43 PM »
This is our latest offering which will be discussed in February-2010.  We hope that you are planning on reading the book and also want you to know that we have already heard from the author, Bruce Feiler.  He has generously offered to call us when we discuss, but since two of the DL's here at SL are  attending one of his presentations in our hometown in November, we hope to meet him that night and ask him to join us online.  He is totally online saavy and already has a Facebook and Twitter blog which he frequents often.
This book promises to be a whole new premise about America and I am excited to be offering the discussion. 
Even though February seems far away, do let us know if you want to discuss a different and thought provoking book.  I have started it and I have already learned much about our history that I had either forgotten or never knew.
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 10:14:44 PM »
ANN, I will be most delighted to participate in this discussion.

America and Moses!  I can think of one connection - THE TEN COMMANDMENTS.  

I wonder how any of them figure in our Constitution or for that matter in our culture.  Perhaps I need to reread more about Moses in the Bible before we start discussing the book.

Sounds absolutely wonderful!  Thank you for suggesting the book.

Babi

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 08:12:30 AM »
Definitely interested in this one. I will be there.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

ALF43

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 01:13:39 PM »
My book has been ordered and is probably waiting for me at home.  I return tonight from cold, cold NY State.
Don't worry Miss Ella, Feiler is very adapt at making his point.  Joan Pearson found something that tells of Moses and Geo. Washington both being lawmakers and warriors.  It said that one writer had actually likened Washington's death before he could complete the D.C to the failure of Moses to reach the promised land.

The article went on to describe how our colonists sought freedom as the Israelites had sought theirs.
Once the Israelites crossed the Red Sea they began arguing and fighting about their leader.  they found their solution with the 10 Commandments and America committed to the Constitution.  He will describe many parrallels.  It sounds interesting.
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

Babi

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 08:09:21 AM »
 It does indeed, ALF.  But then, Bruce Feiler is always interesting.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 09:54:08 AM »
What's this, ALF!  You are discouraging me from reading the Bible?  Hahahaaaa

I think I have discussed one of Feiler's books before, but can't remember which one?  Probably one that Ann has led.  If not, it is time I did.

I know he is remarkable in his insights into the historical aspects of the biblical stories.

ALF43

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 10:34:59 AM »
Ella- MOI?  I thought that you read your Bible daily.
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

GinnyAnn

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009, 11:34:33 PM »
Bruce Feiler's Abraham: A Journey to the Heart of Three Faiths is a fantastic read.  His latest, America's Prophet,  sounds to be a worthwhile read. I am interested in reading it.

ALF43

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2009, 10:11:34 AM »
GinnyAnn- oh wonderful, get your book and join in.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2009, 11:04:13 AM »
Of course, ABRAHAM, thanks, Ginny, for the reminder.   Harold and I led a discussion of that back in 2003.  Where do all the years go; the same place as my memory.

It was a good book, a good discussion.

salan

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 07:44:04 AM »
What happened to "Book Thief" and "Edgar Sawtelle"?  Is this book in another discussion group?  I'm fairly new to this site and very confused.  Is "Kim" still on for January?
Help!
Sally

Babi

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 07:56:07 AM »
 I believe KIM is on for January, SALAN.  The 'Book Thief' has not
been forgotten, either. I believe it's a matter of finding a discussion leader for it before it can go any further. Both of these are a few months into the future, tho', so you may not see very much going on
about them for a while yet.

Here's what's coming up next:
25-November 22 ~ PBS Programs
November 1-30 ~ That Old Cape Magic ~ Richard Russo
February ~ America's Prophet by Bruce Feiler ~ Proposed for February
January ~ Kim ~ Kipling

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2009, 09:17:10 AM »
Welcome, Salan, a newbie in SL and most welcome.  I hope Babi's list will help you and I hope you will join us for this book in February.  If you sign on,  and leave me your email address, I will send you a reminder in January so you can prepare by getting the book at your library or book store.  Personally, I use the library. ;)

Wow, it looks like we have a quorum and Ella and I can tell our author that we are on for February and ask for his attendance online too.!  That's great!  This is quite a new way of telling us about our country's history and with a different connection.  I like it!
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2009, 11:19:56 AM »
My reserve at the Library came in, I'll get it again when the discussion rolls around, but it looks so interesting.  Read this from the jacket:

"One part adventure story, one part literary detective story, one part exploration of faith in contemporary life, America's P ophet takes readers through the landmarks of America's narrative-from Gettysburg to Selma, the Siver Screen to the Oval Office-to understand how Moses has shaped the nation's character."

And a few sentences from the first page:

"Thanksgiving is the mandatory holiday in my family........it's an early celebration of Hanukkah, the Jewish festival of lights.  It's a classic American event, a mix of church, state, shopping and turkey."

Babi

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2009, 08:04:36 AM »
 And don't forget the pumpkin pie!

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2009, 11:58:23 AM »
And the whip cream on the top.  Not the squirty type, the old-fashioned whip cream you do yourself!  AHA, my mouth is watering.............

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2009, 07:43:01 AM »
Lest we forget:  http://www.scoutsongs.com/lyrics/taps.html

We are getting ready to attend the Vets Day celebration at the elementary school where two of our grandchildren attend.  They have added a new feature, coffee and donuts before the ceremonies. Ralph didn't expect to be here this day so its a double celebration for him.  He's a Vet and he's alive!!  Thanks to many prayers from all of you and a heart pump.  Wow!!

bellamarie

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2009, 11:26:05 PM »
This book sounds incredibly interesting.  I just came in tonight from watching "2012" at the theater with my husband and good friends Deacon Jim and his wife who teaches religion at St. Ursula high school. They also lead our weekly Bible study.  This movie sure has tons of biblical ovetones to it.  I would love to be a part of this book discussion.  I have never read any of Bruce Felier's books before, so once again a first for me on Senior Learn.  I will order my book off line, I must own my books so I can highlight and make side notes.  lol  We've studied and discussed Moses quite a bit in the five years we have been meeting on Wed., so I suppose I will be sharing this book with my Bible study group.  I can't wait.
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

GinnyAnn

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2009, 11:35:45 PM »
I now have my library copy :) But have had time to read only a few pages.  :(  It looks to be a good read because of Bruce Feiler's smooth writing style.

Babi

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2009, 10:13:05 AM »
 I haven't heard about '2012', STEPH.  What is that about?  Is it a book-into-movie?

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2009, 10:51:36 AM »
Its so good to come in here and see new folks.  Welcome Bellamarie!

GinnyAnn,
I had to return my book yesterday but I have an owner copy from our friend, Ella.  She said to use it while she is in the hospital.

Did I leave a post here about Ella?  I see not.
Well, please keep her and her daughter in your prayers as they has a long road ahead of her.  Ella fell in the B&N's parking lot on Wednesday and broke both of her ankles.  She was in the hospital for three days and now is in a nursing home.  She will be there for about 7 days while she comes off of Plavix and the swelling goes down in her ankles.   Then she will return to the hospital and have surgery on the right ankle which is the worst break.  She will then have a cast on the right leg and a soft cast on the left.  So, that means back to a nursing home for at least 6 to 8 weeks. 
I am going up to see her today as she is near my home.   

ALF43

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2009, 04:44:01 PM »
2012- Bellamarie, you said that there were a great deal of biblical overtones to the movie.  May I ask, is it referred to in the movie as in the book of "Revelations" or is it just a prediction by someone, i.e. Nostradamus?
OR is it a hollywood brahahoo?

bellamarie

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2009, 01:10:32 PM »
Andy, My take on 2012, is they were showing that much like the flood that destroyed everything on the earth, there would be another devastation and a  new world would exist.  Like Noah and his ark, people and animals were saved to carry it on.  So I came away with the message, God will always save his people.  At Mass on Sunday Fr. Auth's homily spoke on it, and after mass I went in to say hi and tell him my hubby, our deacon and his wife and I had just saw 2012 last night.  He said, "Don't believe it."  We discussed all the similarities the movie had to the Bible. Then he said, "Just be sure you're on the damn boat."  LOL  Knowing his strange sense of humor and his message in his homily, I walked away understanding he meant, "Always be prepared."  The cinamatogography and sound effects were excellent!  I recommend seeing it.  Hollywood made an attempt to portray the Exodus and Apocalypse.

Annie,  I am so sad to hear about our dear friend Ella's accident.  She and I had planned to get together before the winter weather hit us Ohioans.  I will surely keep her in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery.  Please tell her I am thinking of her when you visit.  Hopefully she has a laptop, and can join us while recovering in the nursing home.
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2009, 08:08:03 AM »
SHE'S BAAAAACK!
Ella called me last night and now she is moving to a different place which is brand new, with single rooms, dedicated to therapy for post acute care.  Annnnnnnnnd, they have WIFI!  So, we have talked her into buying a laptop!! Yaaaaay! 
She really sounded good.  Like her old self. She had been to see the surgeon who will operate on her right foot early next week and then it will be about 2 months before she can leave the post acute care place but when she does, the dr says she will be walking out the door!  "Its a 'murical', Clyde!!"

Babi

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2009, 07:51:52 AM »
 Good news, ANNIE.  Always nice to start the day with a good report.

ALF43

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2009, 12:39:41 PM »
Thanks Bella for the expose on 2012.  I am still not sure if I want to see it yet or not. ???

annie, I am in New Mexico and will start my book this AM.

bellamarie

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2009, 08:38:00 AM »
Annie, I am so happy to hear the good news about Ella.  Yea!!!  She's getting a laptop, and will be joining us, that makes my day.  I just purchased a laptop in May and love the fact it's mobile.  No more being stationary at a desk.  Wow, to know she will be able to walk out when all is done must give her such joy!  I will keep her in my thoughts and prayers for a smooth recovery.

Andy, I truly did not think I would want to see the movie 2012 either.  I sort of prejudged and closed myself off to it.  Our friend, deacon Jim, said he would like to see it and so my hubby and I agreed to go, with much hesitation.  We were pleasantly surprised we enjoyed it as much as we did.  It keeps you engaged from beginning to end, so when we walked out of the theater 3 hrs. later, tummies growling, we could not believe it was actually that long.  I recommend it, even if you wait til it comes out on video.

I just recieved my book in the mail the other day, and can't wait to begin the discussion in Feb. 

Happy Thanksgiving to all!!!

ALF43

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2009, 01:09:45 PM »
Thanks Marie, I'll give it a shot.  I'm easy with movies and entertain easily, as well.

Annie- it's so strange- as soon as I started this book, the pilgrims were all over the place.  Of course, let us not forget that  it IS Thanksgiving  and the Bible readings for the week are about the pilgrims.  When we talk about the book I will quote some of these biblical passages.  I'm sure that Feiler had to weed out, literally- what to write about and what not to write about.

Babi

« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2009, 08:49:34 AM »
 I am 'amusing' myself by studying Exodus, watching for clues to
government and possible parallels to American history. I'll need to go
over Leviticus as well, since most of the law is there. I still expect Feiler
to surprise me.   8)

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2009, 04:50:55 AM »
Did I mention that I met our author, Bruce Feiler, last week??  He is a delightful 6'2" Teddy bear! And he will try to join us for the discussion if I will email him as its opening up.  He signed my copy of "Where God Was Born" as I don't own a copy of our book yet.  
And it turns out that Ella's copy is also a library book. My gosh, I almost got it signed too, 'til Ella tipped me off. I wonder how the Gahanna library would feel about that??  Tee hee!

Babi

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2009, 09:04:55 AM »
They would probably be thrilled, ANNIE.  On the other hand, the chance
of it's being stolen would probably increase.   :'(   ;)

serenesheila

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2009, 10:55:21 PM »
Please count me in.  I just ordered our book for my Kiindle.  I will look forward to our discussion, in February.

Sheila

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2009, 06:51:32 AM »
Serenesheila, how nice to see another reader of our book. 
I just returned from a shopping trip in Cincinnati and there I was introduced to the Sony Reader, this years model. I am impressed!  If I had one, I could download free library books and not have to pay the Kindle fees plus the book.  Sounds good to me.  Now to get my husband to see it my way.  Oooooooo, Ralph!!

Persian

Re: America's Prophet by Bruce Feiler ~ Coming in February
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2009, 04:52:54 PM »
Thanks to Ann and Ginny, I have finally been able to access this site.  Yes, Ginny, I will remember to change the password.  I just wrote that instruction to myself.  I'm looking forward to joining the friends here for Feiler's book in February and just ordered a copy.  I, too, like to highlight pages, so best to own it.  I also sent a brief note to our SS teacher about the book, so perhaps he, too, will purchase a copy.  When he was absent and I taught the class for several weeks, we discussed many aspects of the challenges Moses encountered.  A most welcome opportunity to continue learning.

In the meantime, my husband, Mohamed, will be looking over my shoulder as he prepares to return to Egypt after the Holidays.  He's been on a sabbatical from his home university there, but is returning early to visit with his 94 year old father, other family and check on some of his students.We've had a bit of snow today, which thrills Mohamed.  Wonder what he'd do in the REAL NE!

We're also gearing up for my son's third deployment with his soldiers sometime in July.  So ours is a busy family (as are most), which makes me all the more eager to return to friends here and enjoy another delightful read.

Happy Holidays to all!

Mahlia

Babi

« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2009, 09:02:33 AM »
 Good to have you back, MAHLIA.  We should have a great time with
this one. I'm very curious as to what Feiler has to say about Moses'
influence in America.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2009, 09:30:27 AM »
Welcome, welcome, Persian.  So glad you finally were able to join us here.  

Persian

« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2009, 08:13:42 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome (and help getting here).  It's great to be among friends again.  I look forward to the pleasure of Feiler's work and discussing it with friends (already known and those yet to meet).

Mahlia

serenesheila

Re: America's Prophet by Bruce Feiler ~ February Book Club Online
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2009, 03:39:18 PM »
Welcome back, Mahlia.  I have missed your posts.

Sheila

salan

Re: America's Prophet by Bruce Feiler ~ February Book Club Online
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2009, 06:17:05 PM »
Did anyone catch the Bruce Weiler/Moses segment on Sunday Morning with Charles Osgood on CBS this Sunday?  It was most interesting.  I wasn't going to join this discussion, since I really don't care much for non-fiction books; but after watching the program, I may have to rethink reading it.  
Sally