Author Topic: Fiction ~ Old ~ New ~ Best Sellers #2  (Read 741986 times)

Dana

• ::
Re: Fiction ~ Old ~ New ~ Best Sellers #2
« Reply #5560 on: August 20, 2014, 11:48:19 AM »

This is the place to talk about the works of fiction you are reading, whether they are new or old, and share your own opinions and reviews with interested readers.

Every week the new bestseller lists come out brimming with enticing looking books and rave reviews. How to choose?

Discussion Leader:  Judy Laird

I'm travelling at the moment so took along something I probably would not read at home...."Can You Forgive Her?"  Anthony Trollope.  First of the Palliser series.  Written about 1860.
Well, its gripping once you slow down because the prose can not be read and comprehended as quickly as we are accustomed to be able to do nowadays.  Sort of like Latin, you have to concentrate on not losing the thread......!  That said, its actually relaxing to slow down, and the story is fascinating.  It's about two young ladies who fall for absolute cads, I suppose, and another older lady with two comic suitors and how matters evolve, set against a political backdrop, for which I really need Cliff's notes or some such to help understand.  There are about six more books in the series so I think I am hooked for a long time as each one is very long, and written in miniscule print,( so easy to carry about....looking on the bright side.....)
I was struck by the difference between reading a book written nowadays about a time in the past, and a real book, written in the past which I had not appreciated before.  Its quite something to become immersed in the world of 1850, similar and different, sort of like reading a foreign book .

MaryPage

« Reply #5561 on: August 20, 2014, 01:38:58 PM »
I adored that book, and all of Trollope;  but then, I am a huge fan.  Did you know that a perfectly marvelous writer, a first cousin of Rudyard Kipling's, Angela Thirkell picked up where Trollope left off and wrote novels about Barsetshire?  I read every single one of her books, too.  In both cases, I yearned for more.

Speaking of Angela Thirkell, though, her life was a storybook in and of itself!  Look her up!

Did you know there was a television series covering the Palliser books?  The adorable Susan Hampshire starred.

Dana

« Reply #5562 on: August 20, 2014, 04:22:50 PM »
Yes, actually the TV series was what got me started.  We happen to have it and were watching it again recently.  I read all the Barchester chronicles a few years ago after watching a great TV series with the redoutable Mrs Proudie played by Geraldine McEwan and a scrumptiously ingratiating Obadiah Slope played by Alan Rickman.  Susan H. was in that too........

Angela Thirkall, name very familiar but don't know if I've ever read any of hers.

MaryPage

« Reply #5563 on: August 20, 2014, 04:33:52 PM »
If you are enjoying Trollope, you will love Thirkell.  Guarantee.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #5564 on: August 20, 2014, 04:40:58 PM »
I have that DVD collection of Barsetshire with Geraldine McEwan and Alan Rickman. It is cast and acted just too perfectly.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

MaryPage

« Reply #5565 on: August 20, 2014, 06:20:27 PM »
Come on a my house, and we will have a girlie day of watching them while eating miniature chocolate eclairs, macaroons and coffee ice cream.

Just don't forget to bring the DVDs!

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #5566 on: August 20, 2014, 07:00:44 PM »
Wouldn't that be fun...

the other collection I have is Mapp and Lucia - both sets - 1920s with Prunella Scales and Geraldine McEwan and the wonderful Nigel Hawthorne playing the gay friend of Lucia.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Dana

« Reply #5567 on: August 20, 2014, 07:29:22 PM »
Oh yes,I absolutely adore Mapp and Lucia!!
Somewhere I read that Prunella Scales has some bad disease or maybe  actually no more, can't remember ...That does sound awful...sorry....

Dana

« Reply #5568 on: August 20, 2014, 07:59:59 PM »
Just looked up Angela Thirkell....have not read any of her (as far as I can remember!)....will definitely do so now, thanks Marypage....I often do prefer these older authors....I'm a small C conservative but a large L liberal!!!!!

MaryPage

« Reply #5569 on: August 20, 2014, 08:46:42 PM »
I have Mapp & Lucia, too, Barbara, so don't bring those.

Dana, me, too!  And again, I guarantee you will like Thirkell.  It seems to me her books start in the nineteen thirties.  I'll check that out and see what I can find.

Hey, I remembered right, for a change!  Here ya go!

http://www.angelathirkell.org/atbrief.htm

MaryPage

« Reply #5570 on: August 21, 2014, 06:50:09 AM »
I loved all of those books, but looking back, I think The Brandons was my favorite.  I also think it may have been the one I started with.  That was such a very long time ago, it is all obscurred by the fogs of Time!

MaryPage

« Reply #5571 on: August 21, 2014, 07:43:37 AM »
I find that Thriftbooks has a LOT of Thirkell titles in stock, but some of them are quite expensive.  Some, though, if you look all through the list, are quite reasonable.  Looks as though they republished them all back in the nineties.  You might do best to go to Amazon.UK.  It is not frightfully expensive to have them shipped over the ocean.  Watch it there, though, as everything is listed in pounds.  You have to Google the current (today's) exchange rate before you go spending pounds.  Otherwise, your credit card is just as good there as it is with Amazon here in the States, and your order will get dispatched just as quickly.  I have ordered LOTS of books from Great Britain with enormous satisfaction.

Steph

« Reply #5572 on: August 21, 2014, 09:00:26 AM »
I love Mapp and Lucia and have all of the books. they are a periodic reread for me.. Lucia is simply too funny and Georgie is wonderful.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Dana

« Reply #5573 on: August 23, 2014, 02:30:50 PM »
Oh these Thirkell books look interesting and some of the titles are familiar but I don't think I have read any, or if so, back in my teens!  It'll be a while till I get to them tho, but its always nice to have something in reserve.  Thanks again MaryPage.

Steph

« Reply #5574 on: August 24, 2014, 09:03:48 AM »
Delderfield had great continuing stories.. and there was a woman, who wrote about houses and their history.A senior moment takes her name, but loved her stuff.

Steph

« Reply #5575 on: August 24, 2014, 10:26:15 AM »
Hah.. Norah Lofts. that's the woman who wrote about houses and their history.. good writer.

MaryPage

« Reply #5576 on: August 29, 2014, 08:30:22 AM »
What I find in fiction these days, the thing I am finally analyzing about my choices in reading, is this:  

When I was young, I kept up with and read almost every book featured in the best seller lists and Book of The Month.  I was almost robotic in slurping up every new offering, and I remember being so shocked and put off by the likes of Philip Roth.  As time went by, the passing decades put me out of the mainstream.  The movement toward and then into total acceptance of unrepressed sexuality and gutter speech filled with expletives made me turn to cosy British mysteries.  I could not then, and still I flinch from, absorb the to my mind uncivilized culture exhibited in so many acclaimed works of modern literature.  I confess to finding refuge in any good book from a more civil era.  In the same way that the vast majority of network and cable television offerings smite me right into my soul and are impossible for me to adjust to, I cannot dive into the latest best sellers.  The immoral choices, the language, the THOUGHTS!  The addictions, the lack of duty and responsibility and LOYALTY!  No wonder the young are the way they are!  I get the feeling my own family groupings are, most of them, a wholesome throwback to the Leave It To Beaver days;  but I see those few of my own generation still chugging along having to accept downright earthmoving changes in the mores of their descendants.  I have been on the phone long distance with a number I can count on one hand who live too far for further meeting, and they cry over the change in values.

It all goes together, it is a package of time;  and I am living in the wrong package these days!

Steph

« Reply #5577 on: August 29, 2014, 09:04:43 AM »
I avoid many of the current authors, but still find some I love and a lot of mysteries that are fun. My descendents.. small group.. seem to  have absorbed values that their Dad and I worked on and my grandchildren are young enough to still be groping around. So I am not sure how it will work out.I mostly avoid the stupid sex stuff and wonder about how the people live in those worlds. Use Net flix rather than most tv.. I am not a fan of reality tv an really cannot believe that all of a sudden, there are several shows that are Naked Dating...Naked Meeting.. etc. How does naked make it easier or truer.. Hmm maybe my age is showing.

Frybabe

« Reply #5578 on: August 29, 2014, 11:34:52 AM »
At this point I am very seriously considering dropping back to basic on my cable or pulling the cable TV altogether. I may experiment with an HDTV antenna to see if I can pick up local stations before I drop cable.

marjifay

« Reply #5579 on: August 29, 2014, 01:13:00 PM »
About the only TV I watch is cable.  I'd miss the channels that play the old TV programs, like METV, Cloo (they are doing a Monk marathon today -- I love Monk), and the Turner Classic movie channel.   Oh, and MSNBC.  The only PBS programs I watch are the good ones from the BBC which I wait and get from Netflix.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #5580 on: August 29, 2014, 01:41:36 PM »
Got rid of cable about 4 years ago - now I get all four PBS stations where as cable only carried the one - whatever channel 7 is, I never after all these years remember whose who NBC or CBS or ABC - I know the Frog but do not know the call letters and I think our channel 7 maybe is Fox but anyhow, they as of last year have a second channel that runs continuous old movies  -

24 hour news was over-kill - if i want to keep up with some latest tragedy I can do it online - I do not miss the movie cable - it is not like they were the latest movies and the few made for TV are what I do not get nor the Discovery Channel or History Channel that folks say are not what they used to be so that the 3rd PBS channel brings me most of the documentaries and History specials I have time to watch.

I have Amazon Prime so I can drop in and watch a movie, many are free, when ever I am looking for something if I am bored. I no  longer watch as much TV and I like a football game from time to time but again I can see that on regular TV.

I have rabbit ears that sometimes I have to wrap a bit of aluminum foil around the antenna to keep the static away - the rabbit ears  bring in Fox, ABC, NBC, CBS, the Frog which here is channel 51 or maybe it is 54, the weather channel, the movie channel, and 5 Spanish Channels that are sometimes - funny - American movies or an older TV series, even a British nature program that all are in English with Spanish subtitles written on the bottom of the screen.

I also did a week at a time and once, a whole month of No TV - the first time it was really hard - I sat frozen on my sofa sitting on my hands for 3 nights in a row till I took a walk and then back to the sofa and finally picked up a book - gradually without the TV it was like everything had a clarity and the trees were greener and I noticed things and people when I was out of the house. I listen to more music now and do not argue in my head with issues I have no ability to affect but I thought I had to have an opinion about how everything was being handled. sheesh.

marjifay

« Reply #5581 on: August 30, 2014, 05:32:07 AM »
About the only programs I watch on regular TV are  ABC's local news and the game shows, Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Steph

« Reply #5582 on: August 30, 2014, 09:20:56 AM »
I get very little PBS,,one channel and that belongs to UNC, so it is mostly stuff done by them. No good stuff at all.
I read more than tv,,  The Giver has come to the local theatre and although I am not overfond of regular movie theatres, may go. I saw a Meryl Streep interview that made it sound interesting.

marjifay

« Reply #5583 on: August 30, 2014, 02:34:31 PM »
I liked Lowry's novel, The Giver.  Have not seen the movie, but it gets a good rating at IMDB.

Marj

Steph

« Reply #5584 on: August 31, 2014, 09:24:17 AM »
I saw The Giver yesterday. I loved it. A powerful message about conformity and love.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #5585 on: August 31, 2014, 12:22:15 PM »
I liked the novel, The Giver, when I first read it several years ago, but now I tend to stay away from books with a future society theme.  I see now that it is the first in a quartet of books.  Have any of you read any of the others?

Steph

« Reply #5586 on: September 01, 2014, 08:56:34 AM »
I will try Thriftbooks and my swap club to see what they have. I did like The Giver and it did end on an odd note.

ursamajor

« Reply #5587 on: September 01, 2014, 09:02:29 AM »
I think the ending of The Giver was left equivocal purposely.  It was supposed to be a YP book after all.  Presumably if you were sufficiently optimistic you would believe in the village with the Christmas lights   If you were a realist you would believe the kids froze to death (a la The Little Match Girl.  That was grisly).

Steph

« Reply #5588 on: September 02, 2014, 07:56:53 AM »
If there are four books in the series, I wonder if they continue his story?? Anyone know?

Frybabe

« Reply #5589 on: September 07, 2014, 08:34:39 AM »
Sigh, just couldn't resist spending money on a few e-books again. I rarely buy e-books because I can't pass them on to my sisters or donate them to the library book sales, but the price was right. Amazon has books 2 and 3 of the Marching with Caesar series by R. W. Peake for 99 cents today (not sure for how long), so I got them and the first book. I guess these come under the heading of Historical Fiction and/or Adventure.

Steph

« Reply #5590 on: September 07, 2014, 09:12:27 AM »
whew with The Giver out as a movie, it is hard to find any of the series.. Reissue is out, but I always look for bargains.

marjifay

« Reply #5591 on: September 07, 2014, 12:01:45 PM »
The Marching with Caesar series sounds good, Frybabe.  I won't be able to read them, as it looks as if they are only on Kindle.  Darn.

Marj

Frybabe

« Reply #5592 on: September 07, 2014, 01:19:16 PM »
Marj, I just checked because I thought they are also in paperback on Amazon. Well, yes and no. It appears that some of them are and some of them aren't. How odd. The last time I looked I thought they were all on paperback. 

Barnes and Noble sells the series in both paperback and Nook e-book format. ABE Books has some listed. They all seem so pricey though.

I must have gotten lucky with the e-book prices, only $7 for the first three. You won't find me paying out almost $20 for a fiction paperback, so maybe that is all the farther I'll get to read in the series. My library has neither this series nor the Marius Mules (S.J.A. Turney) series. They aren't listed on Overdrive either.

MaryPage

« Reply #5593 on: September 08, 2014, 07:23:09 AM »
Have you tried ThriftBooks?  I find them quite, quite wonderful for almost Everything I am looking for!  And I can afford them, and they are extremely reliable.

Steph

« Reply #5594 on: September 08, 2014, 09:10:59 AM »
I like thrift but sometimes they don't have any of what I want.

MaryPage

« Reply #5595 on: September 08, 2014, 06:22:29 PM »
They do run out in a hurry, but you have two options with them.  One is to keep checking at least once a week, because they have a huge turnover in inventory, and the other is to put what you want on their wish list option and ask for an email notification when it is available.  Only last week I was able to find a book that would have cost me twenty some dollars available for $3.39, in very good condition.  I had tried several times in the last few months, and they just did not have it.  So you get lucky if you persevere.  I do so love saving money!

salan

« Reply #5596 on: September 08, 2014, 06:26:24 PM »
I am reading The 100 Foot Journey, and enjoying it so far.
Sally

Tomereader1

« Reply #5597 on: September 09, 2014, 06:29:09 AM »
I would appreciate recommendations for books that my f2f group might like for our November session.  It must be old enough that our libraries will have enough copies of it for the group (so no new BestSellers).  To elicit suggestions: the last two we read, which were "big hits" were
"Ordinary Grace" and last week "My Name Is Mary Sutter".  All suggestions are welcome, and I will certainly check each title against library
available copies, and if we choose one of yours, I will let you know.

Thank You!
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Steph

« Reply #5598 on: September 09, 2014, 10:20:09 AM »
I have not tried the wish list on Thrift, but I think I will for several titles.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #5599 on: September 11, 2014, 02:01:47 PM »
Do not know how popular the book was for libraries to have multiple copies but "Wave" by Sonali Deraniyagala is not a big book but a book packed with lots to talk about - her entire family, parents included were on holiday at the beach in Sri Lanka when the Tsunami took them all - she is the only one to survive and it is her harrowing story that includes her understandably but uncontrollable hysterical existence, which is difficult to say she was part of the living, that she experienced for a few years till by writing and meeting someone she rejoins the human race - she finds among the debris the shirt her son was wearing - she cannot let go of her parents house after it is sold - it goes on and on.