Author Topic: Introductions...Please click here and tell us about YOU!  (Read 186284 times)

Marsha44

Re: Introductions...Please click here and tell us about YOU!
« Reply #600 on: August 19, 2015, 01:52:18 AM »

Please scroll down and post a message to introduce yourself!  We're looking forward to getting to know you.

Click on the Discussion Index on the menubar near the top of every page to see what we offer:

Latin Courses Information: Click Here

I am a history buff and have worked my way back to Ancient Rome and Greece.  I want to read the Roman philosophers and poets in their original language.  After I can read Latin I hope to learn to read ancient Greek. Plato in the original!!! Wow!!  I am fascinated by Roman history and have been taking all the Roman courses from The Great Courses site. They are excellent. I have been working with a group and we are studying Latina Lingua.  I looked at the Cambridge text and decided I want to study that one too because of the on-line classes.  So......here I am. :)

Frybabe

« Reply #601 on: August 19, 2015, 06:23:10 AM »
Wonderful, Marsha44 and Welcome . I think it is so neat to be able to read all the Latin quotes and phrases I run across while reading other books. I enjoy reading Caesar in our classes because it puts us right into his world and actions as he sees it.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #602 on: August 20, 2015, 05:47:28 PM »
WELCOME WELCOME! And do check out our book discussions. We read everything from mysteries to Shakespeare, and talk about it.

SharonR

Latin 101
« Reply #603 on: September 07, 2015, 05:50:15 PM »
Hello my username is SharonR. I signed up for the class in 2012 but had to drop it due to employment commitments - I am now retired and looking forward to learning Latin - I have regretted for many years not taking it in high school.

Frybabe

« Reply #604 on: September 07, 2015, 06:39:01 PM »
WELCOME, SharonR. We have a great bunch of Latin students and a wonderful teacher. Don't forgotten to check in on the Classics Forum. Every now and again someone is sure to post an interesting article about new archaeological discoveries, research, or photos.

We also have a great time in our other discussion boards, so if you have the time, please drop in and say hi.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #605 on: September 07, 2015, 07:27:25 PM »
Welcome, SharonR.  Here's the link to the current page of the Classics Forum.

http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=5.760

If Ginny leaves you any time, we have a lot of other discussions you might like.

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #606 on: September 07, 2015, 07:44:40 PM »
Hi, Sharon,
I've just emailed you several emails that were sent earlier to your Latin classmates with links to your Latin area.  I started the Orientation today, so there's a bit of catching up for you.  Enjoy!

jane

Mzinda

« Reply #607 on: September 10, 2015, 12:53:59 AM »
Hello everyone!
My name is Melinda and I live in Portland, Oregon. I just signed up for the Latin course. I am a little nervous about taking this since I have been told that Latin is difficult.

I have 3 kids, one married and 2 at home. I work part time as a teacher assistance in a private per-Kindergarten classroom where I am receiving my Grandma training.

Looking forward to "meeting" you.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #608 on: September 10, 2015, 01:09:02 AM »
Fear not, Melinda, Ginny won't make you stand in the corner.  ;)

I spend a lot of time in Portland.  It's a great city.

If you have any time left over from Latin, come look at the various book discussions on the site.

dvconlee

• NW Oregon
« Reply #609 on: September 10, 2015, 11:58:54 AM »
Salve! Melinda,

I too live in Portland, Oregon.
Severe with self, gentle with others, honest with all.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #610 on: September 10, 2015, 07:37:14 PM »
So when I'm out there in two weeks and see a slight fog in the air, it's not the Portland weather, it's all the Latin words winging their way to Ginny.

dvconlee

• NW Oregon
« Reply #611 on: September 11, 2015, 10:59:50 AM »
Salve! Pat,

In two weeks the Portland weather is unknowable! Example, 95 today and rain by Wednesday! Have a good trip.
Severe with self, gentle with others, honest with all.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #612 on: September 11, 2015, 02:09:55 PM »
I'll be happier if it isn't still 95.  You've had more than your share of heat this summer.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #613 on: September 12, 2015, 04:50:38 PM »
Hi, PORTLANDERS. WELCOME. Do hit on the arrow next to "Jump to Introduction and Remembrances'" to see a list of all our other discussions.

Robert Tumwekwase

« Reply #614 on: September 13, 2015, 09:01:41 PM »
I come to this website excited to find a group of persons with whom I will learn and improve fast on my Latin course.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #615 on: September 13, 2015, 09:32:23 PM »
Robert...I will email you about your prior Formal Latin study and your familiarity with this type of forum.  Enrollment ended this afternoon as classes start tomorrow.  If you can get back to me quickly, we'll see if our Latin course will fit with your background and goals.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #616 on: September 14, 2015, 05:09:47 PM »
ROBEERT: WELCOME. I hope while you're here, you'll check out our book discussions as well.

Dixie

« Reply #617 on: September 14, 2015, 05:27:47 PM »
Hello everyone. I'm Dixie. I've been away from Latin for quite a while. Excited about getting started again.Looking forward to "meeting" all of you. My husband, Josh is well ahead of me... altho, we started at the same time.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #618 on: September 14, 2015, 05:58:06 PM »
WELCOME DIXIE!

dapphne

« Reply #619 on: January 03, 2016, 09:00:06 AM »
Happy New Year,  Everyone!

Just checking back in to see how things are
going here.   

Sandy
 Portland Maine

(formally known as "dapphne")
;)

“ The less you respond to negative people,
   The more peaceful your life will become! "

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #620 on: January 03, 2016, 11:54:01 AM »
Hi, Sandy...aka dapphne, and a joyful and healthy New Year to you!!

Jane

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #621 on: January 03, 2016, 12:37:10 PM »
Hi, Sandy! It's good to see you here. Happy new year!

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #622 on: January 03, 2016, 03:37:24 PM »
Happy New Year!

gingerw

• Michigan
« Reply #623 on: March 29, 2016, 11:28:39 PM »
Hi all, I just got back in tonight thanks to Joan Pearson. Thanks Joan. It has been one thing then another but I have been trying to get back in for a year or two.
Ginger

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #624 on: March 30, 2016, 11:42:28 AM »
Hi, Ginger!

It's good to see you back here!

Jane

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #625 on: March 30, 2016, 05:15:23 PM »
GINGER? HI. great to see you back!

gingerw

• Michigan
« Reply #626 on: April 08, 2016, 06:21:47 AM »
Hi I am back it only took me 2 or 3 years to get back in but Joan P helped me get back thanks Joan. I have a new(updated picture to post please help..
Ginger

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #627 on: April 08, 2016, 08:17:02 PM »
Hi, Ginger, it's good to see you again.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #628 on: April 08, 2016, 08:22:32 PM »
Ginger,
If you have it on your computer, you can email it to me, and I'll put it in my Photobucket account and send you back the url to put in your profile.  If you already have it at a third internet site like photobucket, you can get the url for the photo there and put that address in your Profile.

Jane

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #629 on: April 09, 2016, 02:04:10 PM »
Jane: is that a jelly in your picture?

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #630 on: April 09, 2016, 07:49:46 PM »
Yes, one of the huge kites at the big Kite Fest on South Padre Island in Feb. 

EdwardMeehan

« Reply #631 on: April 21, 2016, 08:47:18 AM »
Hello, I just discovered this wonderful site by searching for on line Latin courses. I am a 66 year old retired chemistry professor. I retired in June of 2013 and almost immediately starting learning German. I am a very serious (fanatical language student). I am enrolled as a degree seeking undergraduate student at the University of Alabama in Huntsville (UAH) and have just completed my sixth semester. I have also spent two months in each of the last two summers taking courses at the Institute for International Communication in Düsseldorf Germany. This coming summer I am enrolled in Middlebury College's total immersion German program. For the past year I have also taught German in our local Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at UAH. My interest in German has expanded to an interest in Linguistics. I have kept Amazon in business buying their linguistics's books  and have taken several linguistic courses on line. This interest in linguistics prompted my desire to learn Latin.  I purchased Wheelock's wonderful book and have tried to teach myself. I just did not have the discipline to steadily work through the material; my other courses always got in the way and took priority. I can not count the number of times I have restarted Wheelock's first three chapters.  Hopefully the Latin courses will provide the structure to keep me on track. 

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #632 on: April 21, 2016, 10:26:24 AM »
Hi, Edward,

Thank you for your interest in our Latin classes.  The links below will give you general information about our classes.  The second one will also explain what our classes are and are not and what makes ours different from others out there.

http://www.seniorlearn.org/classics

http://www.seniorlearn.org/ classics/courses/descriptions.html

I will add your name and email to my list to be notified when enrollment opens in July for Sept. Classes.

In addition, I will email you the above links and more information about the classes.  This will come from the email I use to enroll students, so please add it to your address book if that is necessary to keep it from going to spam.  JaneiowaLatin@gmail.com

Jane

EdwardMeehan

« Reply #633 on: April 21, 2016, 10:30:41 AM »
Thanks,looking forward to the class.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #634 on: April 21, 2016, 10:52:00 AM »
Post here or email me if you have not received my email with further info on the Latin classes.

Thanks!!

jane

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #635 on: April 21, 2016, 10:56:26 AM »
Hello, Edward. Welcome to SeniorLearn. I admire your immersion in German and linguistics. You seem like a very dedicated learner and teacher.

LorraineA

May I introduce myself
« Reply #636 on: April 21, 2016, 02:38:38 PM »
Hi There!  I am Lorraine located in GA, USA.  My interest is to learn Latin language, although not quite a senior, I'll be turning 49 years this year.  My schedule allows for an online class.  In the AM, I participate in the traditional Catholic Holy Sacrifice of the Mass and work in the PM.  My goal is to understand the priest as he is reading without looking down at my missal.  I thank you for offering these Latin courses.  Please let me know how to proceed.  Thank you again.

Frybabe

« Reply #637 on: April 21, 2016, 02:51:56 PM »
Welcome, Lorraine and Edward. If you have a little time to spare, please check out our other discussions while you wait for the next Latin class to open. One of the discussions we are into right now is Ovid's Metamorphoses.
http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=4878.0 You can just jump in and join the discussion or just read the posts. We are not reading it in Latin.

The forum index lists all our open discussions. http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php

Margie

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #638 on: April 21, 2016, 02:52:27 PM »
Hi, Lorraine...
I'll repeat what I posted this morning to Edward above in case you didn't read that post.

Thank you for your interest in our Latin classes.  The links below will give you general information about our classes.  The second one will also explain what our classes are and are not and what makes ours different from others out there.

http://www.seniorlearn.org/classics

http://www.seniorlearn.org/ classics/courses/descriptions.html

I will add your name and email to my list to be notified when enrollment opens in July for Sept. Classes.

In addition, I will email you the above links and more information about the classes.  This will come from the email I use to enroll students, so please add it to your address book if that is necessary to keep it from going to spam.  JaneiowaLatin@gmail.com

Jane
Registrar ~ Latin at SeniorLearn

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #639 on: April 21, 2016, 02:57:31 PM »
Lorraine...
Email is on its way to you.  If you don't receive it, check your spam folder or email me at janeiowaLatin@gmail.com and I'll send it again.  Be sure to put that email for me in your address/contacts so we get mail from each other.

jane