Author Topic: Last Dickens, The ~ Matthew Pearl ~ Pre-discussion  (Read 14132 times)

BooksAdmin

• TopicManager
Last Dickens, The ~ Matthew Pearl ~ Pre-discussion
« on: August 14, 2009, 03:46:58 PM »

The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  Everyone is welcome to join in.

Click register at the top of the page to create a username and password so that you can post messages in the discussions here on SeniorLearn.

You are all invited to join us here on October 1! 

We are happy to announce that the author, Matthew Pearl, will join us in the discussion of his  latest novel, "The Last Dickens," as he did with his "Poe Story"  and "The Dante Club.

Matthew's literary fiction picks up where Dickens left off in "The Mystery of Edwin Drood."  The story of the fate of Edwin Drood is a mystery within a mystery. When young Edwin disappears after dinner on Christmas Eve and his watch and chain are later found in the nearby river, everyone suspects foul play. Could one of Edwin’s acquaintances have murdered him – and, if so, what could their motive be?  Tragically, the mystery is destined never to be truly solved, as Dickens died before he could finish this novel – all that is left are the clues that can be found in the completed chapters.

Pearl  sends a partner of Dickens’ American publisher, James Osgood, to the Dickens' estate in England where we meet the "fugitives"  from the characters of Dickens' novel.  Is Edwin Drood dead or alive? Was he killed by his uncle, John Jasper? Or did he somehow escape that fate, possibly to return later?  We are anticipating more intrigue as Pearl's fictional characters search for answers in the author's well-researched fiction.

Do plan to join us.  Matthew assures us that his book can stand alone, even if you haven't read Dickens' novel.

PREDISCUSSION  - Some questions to consider before we begin:

1. Have you ever read Charles Dickens' Mystery of Edwin Drood?

2. Are you aware of the fact that Dickens died before he completed his mystery?

3. Did the knowledge that Dickens would leave you hanging at the end affect your appreciation for what Dickens had completed before his death?

4. To your knowledge, are there any known documents or recorded conversations that indicate Dickens' intentions for the second half of his novel?

5. Have you read any of the other recent novels that have attempted to complete Dickens' story?

6.  Are you expecting  Matthew Pearl to reveal something about what Dickens was planning his novel,  The Last Dickens?

Discussion Leaders: JoanP, Andy

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Re: Last Dickens, The ~ Matthew Pearl ~ October 1
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 04:03:45 PM »
Hello!

This is exciting news - that we will be soon discussing Matthew Pearl's latest literary mystery, "The Last Dickens" - just as we did his two previous novels, "The Dante Club" and "The Poe Shadow." Hopefully he will join us in this discussion as he did in the first two.   I am particularly interested in this one, since Dickens passed away before finishing "The Mystery of Edwin Drood" - leaving us hanging, maddeningly...

You may recall that Matthew is a graduate of Harvard University and Yale Law School. He has also taught literature and creative writing at Harvard University and Emerson College, and has been a Visiting Lecturer in law and literature at Harvard Law School.  I can't think of a better guide to follow the clues Dickens left behind - leading us to some sort of solution to the mystery - if not a definitive one.  

You will probably like to read and discuss Dickens' "Mystery of Edwin Drood" in September - with Maryal and Marcie leading this discussion.  Folks are signing on here - right now.

I keep waiting for someone to come upon some of Dickens'  papers or a clue in the published episodes to help us in our quest.  Who knows?  Maybe it will be you!

If you think you might like to join Andy and me in October, please post here.  We need all the probing minds we can get with this one!

ALF43

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 02:10:20 PM »
What a wonderful introduction you have given Matthew, Joan.  His last visits here with us were splendid and he was so down to earth, forever challenging our minds and encouraging us to ask many questions.  The research that he did on these novels is outstanding and quite laborious, I would imagine.

I think that it's wonderful that we've so many folks interested in reading the Mystery of Edwin Drood and can then follow up right after that with with Pearl's brilliance.  I say that we jolly well finish ole Charlie's story for him.  Come on in, sit down and tell us of your
interest in reading Matthew's newest novel and help us all solve this mystery..
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

matthewpearl

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 03:23:56 PM »
Hi, thanks for choosing the novel and for inviting me along for the ride.

I'll be thrilled to follow along and answer questions or give insights when I can. I've always been impressed by the thoughtful comments and careful readers of members of this community.

You can learn lots about The Last Dickens on my website which is

www.matthewpearl.com

I've also been trying to post more blog entries recently about writing and aspects of my books. I'll try to alert you when one is relevant, but if you want to see some of the entries I have them here (I cross post most entries both on my Facebook author page and Red Room):

http://www.redroom.com/blog/matthew-pearl

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Matthew-Pearl-author/29977879540#/pages/Matthew-Pearl-author/29977879540?v=app_2347471856&viewas=13718

Best wishes!

Matthew

ALF43

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 10:10:29 PM »
Matthew, bless your heart, we are just delighted to have you with us here once again.
We are going to read The Mystery of Edwin Drood in September and then will be ready for your book October 1.  I am certain that we will have a ga-zillion questions for you even as we read Drood.
Thank you so much for the links that you've provided for us and again, it is a pleasure to have you here.
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 10:40:04 PM »
Matthew, Thank you very much for taking the time to join us in the discussion of your book. I'm looking forward to it.

As Alf says, your links should be helpful to our discussion of The Mystery of Edwin Drood next month too. It will be a great preparation for conversing about YOUR book in October.

Deems

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 10:49:48 AM »

Welcome, Matthew, it's wonderful to see you again.  Marcie and I will be leading a discussion of The Mystery of Edwin Drood starting September 1, and I'm hoping that a number of our participants will also choose to read your latest.  It is very good of you to give us some time and insight into your book.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 12:39:00 PM »
Welcome, Matthew!  You're going to have a well-primed set of readers, since all the details of "Edwin Drood" will still be fresh in our minds.  It"ll be fun.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 12:52:42 PM »

Welcome, Matthew.  It’s great to see you again.  I’m looking forward to reading  The Last Dickens, and am glad you will join us in the discussion.

Thanks for all the links and I look forward to exploring them.  I really enjoyed seeing  your Facebook page – good picture of you --  and reading all the comments.  (The grandkids always close theirs when I’m around, so it was a treat to see yours ‘up-close.’

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 03:14:16 PM »
Matthew Pearl always adds so much to the discussions of his books.  He is so familiar with Dickens'  Mystery of Edwin Drood - he's coming out with a new edition some time in October - he's written the Introduction. Who is it that has the introduction?  Someone who lives abroad and already has a copy?

It will be a great follow-up to our September discussion of Dickens' classic.  Matthew's fiction picks up immediately after Dickens'  death.  We'll follow one of the    American publishers of Dickens'  serial publications right to Dickens' estate, where they haven't even finished packing the room where the great author was working on his last novel...looking for any sign of how Dickens' intended to finish it.  This is going to be quite an exciting adventure..

Matthew writes, " I'm going to be travelling quite a lot in October, so forgive any quiet periods, but you can always collect questions I miss, as you've done in the past, to make it easier."  So generous.  We appreciate this, Matthew!  It's great to see the interest here. 

I'm wondering how the renewed interest in Dickens and his unfinished novel came about.  Does anyone know? 

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2009, 06:32:58 PM »
This is just great to see you here, Matthew Pearl, and to have you post that you were impressed with our members!

Thank you for coming into our discussion.  I have the book and will follow along!

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2009, 09:56:19 PM »
Great, MATHEW PEARL. I enjoyed your participation in "The Poe Shadow" so much, and, as a long-time Maryland resident, the book really made Baltimore of the period come alive for me. Now I can't wait for Dickens.

Gumtree

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2009, 01:15:37 AM »
Matthew Pearl always adds so much to the discussions of his books.  He is so familiar with Dickens'  Mystery of Edwin Drood - he's coming out with a new edition some time in October - he's written the Introduction. Who is it that has the introduction?  Someone who lives abroad and already has a copy?

JoanP I'm the one who has Mystery of Edwin Drood with the Matthew Pearl Introduction and I guess you could say I live abroad here in the antipodes   ;)

At the moment I can only say that I'm hoping to join this discussion after the Dickens one. Great to have Matthew Pearl online with us - the author always gives an added dimension to the reading.

What a great site we have here in the Books and Latin - thanks Ginny ! and all who make it possible.
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 09:17:28 AM »
Gum, how come you antipodes are always so far ahead of us?  I thought it would be the other way around - an American author published there first?  As we near the discussion, hopefully you will share something you read in his introduction to Dickens'  Drood.

I'm also reading Dan Simmons "Drood" - thanks to Chazz for sending it on to me.  It's huge!  I'm trying to figure where this renewed interest in Dickens'  unfinished novel started.  It's been around for over 100 years and suddenly everyone is talking about it.  Maybe Matthew can shed some light on this "mystery."

I'm hoping you all will tune into the discussion of The Mystery of Edwin Drood that will start tomorrow.  You've got to know Dickens story to really get into Matthew's "sequel."  Be forewarned, the first chapter is really difficult to get into - but here's a hint - you're not supposed to understand what's going on in the incoherent thoughts induced by opium.  You need to stick with the first two chapters in order to understand what you read at the start.  Oh, and be sure to look at the illustrations that accompanied each published installment of Dickens'  work.

Gumtree

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2009, 11:00:29 AM »
Gum, how come you antipodes are always so far ahead of us?  I thought it would be the other way around - an American author published there first?  As we near the discussion, hopefully you will share something you read in his introduction to Dickens'  Drood.

Of course I will Joan - and of course Australia is streets ahead and not only in regard to getting the books first ( well some). Did you know that we had mobile phones before the 'Yanks'? -or that we made the first full length feature movie in the world in 1906? or that we developed the cure for stomach ulcers (right here at the Uni of WA in Perth)?  or - should I go on...?

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2009, 05:16:44 PM »
I guess although I've posted in here, I've never actually said I'd be in the discussion.  I will be, 

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2009, 12:03:47 PM »
hahaha, Gum, I'm convinced!  You are way ahead of us - including the time zone.  Will you tell again what time it is in Perth when you post?

PatH - so glad you will be joining us.  I read somewhere that  Matthew Pearl's book is turning people on to reading Dickens'
  "Mystery of Edwin Drood."  My first thought when I read that was that Dickens would have turned our attention to consider Matthew's book - but the more I thought about it, I probably would not have read Dickens'  unfinished novel, if Matthew had not chosen  to base his fiction on Dickens' mystery...

Three questions -

Had you ever read Mystery of Edwin Drood before?
How long ago?
Are you reading the discussion of Dickens' novel now?

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2009, 12:18:32 PM »
Yes, I've read "The Mystery of Edwin Drood" before, but it must have been about 40 years ago, and I remember almost nothing about it.  I am in the discussion of it, which opened this morning and looks like it will be a good one.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2009, 12:23:06 PM »
I'm in the discussion having read The Mystery of Edwin Drood for the first time when it was mentioned here on SeniorLearn.

Gumtree

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2009, 01:03:57 PM »
I've never read Edwin Drood before and I am in the discussion.

BTW JoanP - Perth is exactly 12 hours ahead of wherever Deems lives.

Pat

• US 34, IL
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2009, 03:41:57 PM »

The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  everyone is welcome to join in.

You are all invited to join us here on October 1! 

We are happy to announce that the author, Matthew Pearl, will join us in the discussion of his  latest novel, "The Last Dickens," as he did with his "Poe Story"  and "The Dante Club." Matthew's literary fiction picks up where Dickens left off in "The Mystery of Edwin Drood."  The story of the fate of Edwin Drood is a mystery within a mystery. When young Edwin disappears after dinner on Christmas Eve and his watch and chain are later found in the nearby river, everyone suspects foul play. Could one of Edwin’s acquaintances have murdered him – and, if so, what could their motive be?  Tragically, the mystery is destined never to be truly solved, as Dickens died before he could finish this novel – all that is left are the clues that can be found in the completed chapters.

Pearl  sends Dickens’ American publisher, James Osgood, to the Dickens' estate in England where we meet the "fugitives"  from the characters of Dickens' novel.  Is Edwin Drood dead or alive? Was he killed by his uncle, John Jasper? Or did he somehow escape that fate, possibly to return later? We are looking forward to Matthew Pearl's version in October!
Please do join us!

Discussion Leaders: JoanP, Andy

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2009, 08:58:30 PM »
we don't get a new page every 20 posts on this site.

I'm REALLY glad we'll be reading this book, now we are into Edwin Drood in the other discussion. I know it will kill me when the Dickens stops in the middle.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2009, 11:45:45 PM »
We get a new discussion page after 40 messages, Joan. It will be nice to be able to keep on with Dickens and Drood in THE LAST DICKENS.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2009, 01:54:20 PM »
I admit I would never have read Edwin Drood if I hadn't wanted to be in the Pearl discussion -- I enjoyed the last one with him so much.

Now I'm finding that I'm enjoying Dickens a lot, after thinking for years that I didn't like him.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2009, 06:49:07 AM »
JoanK, I'm certain that is exactly what Matthew Pearl had hoped when for when writing this book - to share his interest and his research in Dickens' last novel.  And wow, you not only have discovered an interest in Drood, but an appreciation for Dickens the novelist as well!  I'm glad we are reading Dickens'  own work first because even if it is a mystery - an unfinished mystery at that, we are still enjoying Dickens'  character development and storytelling.

Marcie, I really think that we will all be hungry for more on Drood - and what was in Dickens'  mind as he plotted out the second half of his novel.  There are other sources, outside of the six episodes that were actually published, to be considered.  Matthew has researched these sources in preparation for his own novel. 

We, husband and I, have just returned from London.  One of the places we visited was the Dickens'  Museum - which Matthew  acknowledges in his book  for help with his  research.  I asked the same question there which I intend to ask Matthew - why the sudden renewed interest in Dickens'  last unfinished novel.   What they told me in London - "the interest has continued since the time of his death.  The novel has never been forgotten.  The discussion - and the publication of books on the subject has never let up."  Hmmm, I find that I want to know more about that - is it just a coincidence that Matthew Pearl and Dan Simmons have just published their own Drood books now?

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2009, 06:56:19 AM »
I'll share with you a bit of what I posted in the Mystery of Edwin Drood discussion this morning - about the Dickens' museum -

Though the London Museum on Doughty St. is considered THE Dickens' Museum - can you imagine how I felt when I learned that Rochester is only a twenty minute train ride from London?  Rochester is the cathedral town of Cloisterham which is the setting for Dickens' novel.  And that Gad's Hill where Dickens was living at his death as he penned his last novel -  is only five miles from Rochester?  (Matthew's American publisher will visit Dickens' home in Gad's Hill following Dickens' death.)

So little time - not enough for another day's excursion, but to think I could have walked on High Street seen the very cathedral, the Nuns' House, the burial yard, the crypt...  All there, just as we are reading the description of Cloisterham.  Missed opportunity.  But I did learn much to share with you at the museum in London.

The  reason I visited the museum was because Matthew Pearl acknowledged the people here for contributing to his research his novel,
Here's a photo of the four story house, the Dickens'  Museum.  I'm sure the awning wasn't there in Dickens' time. It was time well-spent.  Matthew, they'd like a copy of your book in their vast library, I'm sure of that. 

matthewpearl

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2009, 06:38:55 AM »
Hi there,

I just wanted to share that the edition of The Mystery of Edwin Drood which I have edited and written an introduction for, will be released in the U.S. October 6 from Modern Library. Unlike the edition in the UK of this, the US one DOES have notes in the back. Those of you who don't have a copy of MED and want one, you might like this one, in part because it contains as an addendum an until-now (and sicne 1914) out of print "mock trial" transcript about Edwin Drood performed in London that is fascinating.

www.matthewpearl.com

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2009, 08:40:37 AM »
Thanks, Matthew.  The cover looks like the one our Australian participant was talking about - not sure her copy has the notes. Gum, I know you have the Introduction - but do you have notes?   May I ask who provided the notes for this , Matthew?

I would love to read the transcript of the mock trial included in this edition.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2009, 09:00:28 AM »
Hi Matthew Pearl!  So glad we are going to be discussing your new book.  And I am certainly hoping that my library has more than one copy!  Tee hee!!
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2009, 11:20:22 AM »
Hello Matthew, thanks for letting us know the edition of MED with your intro is out.  Your mention of the mock trial sent me off looking.  Quite a group of illustrious performers there  -- G.K. Chesterton as judge and George Bernard Shaw as foreman of the jury.  That should be fun to read.

I have your book and am looking forward to the discussion.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2009, 01:06:14 PM »
That's wonderful, Matthew, that the edition you edited has notes. There is so much in The Mystery of Edwin Drood that is mysterious! We're having a good time talking about it and venturing our own guesses in our discussion about Dickens novel. I've read your fascinating book, The Last Dickens, and am looking forward to the conversation here with you about it.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2009, 02:39:04 PM »
Rats! I already bought The Last Dickens. I had a choice of the UK edition, too, and didn't take it. Sigh.

Glad to see you again. I still remember with pleasure the great discussion of Poe.

matthewpearl

« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2009, 07:08:28 AM »
A woman named Deborah Lutz compiled the notes at the back of the book for Modern Library. I read through them and approved of her excellent work. Yes, the mock trial is my favorite "continuation" of The Mystery of Edwin Drood, and a fun read for anyone who has read Dickens's novel. JoanK, the UK edition of Mystery of Edwin Drood has my introduction but does not have the notes. Looking forward to talking more about all of this with everyone!

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2009, 10:38:45 AM »
Thank you, Matthew Pearl.  How great to have you in our discussion of your book!

I will be here.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2009, 02:44:23 PM »
Well, for once I lucked out in my book buying.  I've been reading "Edwin Drood" from a library book, not having gotten around to buying it.  Now I can hang on to the library book until the 6th, then buy yours hot off the press for this discussion.

Deems

« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2009, 08:52:21 PM »

Hi Joan P!  Hi Matthew Pearl!  I'm looking forward to this discussion; the other two were so much fun.

Maryal

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2009, 08:26:18 AM »
Thanks for that information, Matthew.  Some months ago I purchased the  Penguin edition of The Mystery of Edwin Drood - which contains many footnotes, but I know others have been reading editions with NO footnotes.  Knowing that the new Modern Library edition contains Deborah Lutz's notes, your introduction and the mock trial convinces me that I NEED that edition too. Pedln, is the mock trial with Shaw and Chesterton the same thing that Matthew is talking about?  It really does sound like fun...(how can a murder trial sound like fun?!)

Matthew, some of us have been discussing Dickens'  novel this month - in detail.  Others have not.  Can you tell us if you think it is important to the enjoyment of your book to know something of the climate that pervailed in the period following Dickens'  death, which occured midway between the monthly installments of his Drood novel?

It's so good to see how many of you are planning to join us in the discussion of Matthew's book - with Matthew!  Welcome-  all of you! We are all really looking forward to this discussion.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2009, 01:33:26 PM »

Pedln, is the mock trial with Shaw and Chesterton the same thing that Matthew is talking about?  It really does sound like fun

I think so.  I was trying to find out if groups were still performing it, or if this was all ad libbed, but maybe Matthew can tell us about that.

matthewpearl

« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2009, 07:40:12 AM »
Hi Joan,

Absolutely no knowledge of Dickens or of The Mystery of Edwin Drood is required to read The Last Dickens--I was very careful about that! I hope some readers of my novel might find themselves interested in those topics, but no previous knowledge is assumed by me. In fact, my novel just came out in Spanish, and apparently there is not a single Spanish translation of The Mystery of Edwin Drood in print, so I'd be in trouble in that market if I had expected everyone to be an expert!

As for the mock trial, yes, that's the same one with G. K. Chesterton as the judge, George Bernard Shaw as a hilarious jury foreman, and Arthur Waugh, father of modernist novelist Evelyn Waugh, as another participant. It's a surreal but insightful exercise.

ALF43

« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2009, 11:00:00 AM »
Whew!  Welll thanks Matthew for that tid bit of information as I am still in the middle of Drood which is our September book discussion.  I have books surrounding me, in each room of the house, the back seats of the car and in my purse.  Surrounding myself with books is my tonic in life.  And here you are Mr. Pearl right on my desk at the seat of honor. ;D

October 1st is around the corner already.  Is everybody here?  Are you ready?