Author Topic: Soiree in New York City: A Retrospective: Come share the adventures!  (Read 135464 times)

ginny

• Administrator
Re: Soiree in New York City: come join us!
« Reply #200 on: August 13, 2010, 08:41:53 AM »

September 8-12, 2010
Everyone is invited!  

Autumn in New York, (are you singing?) What could be finer?

Based on the resounding success of our 10th Anniversary Gathering in NYC in 2008, we thought we'd try it again!~

Our Hotel: The Leo House:  "The Little Heart in the  Big City," with the best rates you'll find anywhere.

Hotel Information and Rates

Garden at the Leo House

If you are a Latin student, come meet some of  your classmates, for a fun filled day or  weekend:

Classics Students at the Met, NYC 2008

Brief  Schedule Outline
See below for details and plan to join us:

Sept 8th-Wednesday:
--Contact: Ann for details. Ann  plans for us to meet at the Fraunces Tavern Museum at 3pm.  When the museum closes at 5pm, we'll walk to the Bridge Cafe, also historic,  for dinner. Our reservation is for 6 pm.  Fraunces Tavern is  where George Washington and his generals met after or during the Revolution.   The Bridge Cafe

Thursday 9/9: --LucyLibr--plans a cruise on the Hudson. Contact: Lucy for details.

Friday 9/10

Morning at the Met:

9:30: Note new time! Join us for a private tour of the Met with Assisted Listening Devices on the topic The History of Book Binding, Books, Illuminated Manuscripts and Related Works.  Free to SeniorLearn, only 4 slots remaining!

---Followed by Lunch in the Atrium Cafe under the glass.

---Followed by a short seque  open to all to see the  Cubiculum of Villa of P. Fannius Synistor, and the Monteleone Chariot! See email.

---After Lunch: Free Afternoon at Leisure

Saturday 9/11:  Our First Author's Tea at the award winning  Sarabeth's, see below!
-

Sunday 9/12
Those wanting to go to Ellis Island will convene in the Lobby of the Leo. As an alternative, Ann plans a trip to the Tenement Museum. OR just do your own thing! Contact: ginny for details.

Other Enticements:

Alf is planning a Surprise!  Contact: Andrea   for details.

Pedl'n plans a day at the newest NYC park, the High Line.    http://www.thehighline.org/ Contact: Pedln for details.

Eloise will be our Coordinator  daily at Breakfast at the Leo House. She will   be at the cafeteria for an hour to take messages and keep everybody informed on what is happening on that day.

Additional Possibilities:

The short terms, unscheduled -- High Line Park, with maybe a visit to Chelsea Market nearby, Union Square,  The Strand,  Chelsea Market,  shopping,  Tenement House  and Museum, Botanical Gardens, Etaly if open, a Broadway Show, Algonquin or Chelsea Hotels, concerts, opera, bus tour of NYC, etc.

Monday 9/13: : Travel Day:  Departure

New!!

9/11: Our  First Ever Author Tea at Sarabeth's on Central Park between 5th and 6th Avenue:  This is our room!

Join us on September 11 in this award winning restaurant looking out on the Park for one of their famous Teas, at less than half price, $10 only, no tax, and enjoy meeting our authors, Bruce Frankel,  and Maryann McFadden:

"I can think of no writer I'd rather have sing me songs of the sea, even sad ones, than Maryann McFadden."---Anne Rivers Siddons
We'll be discussing Maryann McFadden's book,  here on SeniorLearn beginning August 15 - at
"So Happy Together"
Join us today!

Bruce Frankel’s book, "What Should I Do With the Rest of My Life" is inspirational!  "This upbeat, inspiring, timely book shows how taking a risk and fighting to find a passionate career — at any age — can reinvigorate your life...”— Susan Shapiro
Come join Bruce now - and be inspired!  
Talking Heads ~ "What Should I Do With the Rest of My Life"

Contact: Ann today to secure your place at the table!  We have only a few seats left!~  Don't miss this one!!

See information about reservations at the LEO HOUSE. Deadline to reserve your accommodations is June 15!

Questions about the gathering? Contact: Ann

As a New Yorker would say, "What's not to like?"  

Join us if you can, you'll never forget it!

Sign in here and help us plan what you want to see and do!

May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #201 on: August 13, 2010, 08:48:36 AM »
It sounds like the Tenement House is a place we need to add to our trip, thank you Lucy!

I am reminded that not all immigrants were 20 year olds and I want to test myself on their stairs and see how people really had to live.

Best shop in NYC? Hmmm. Tell us what they said about Hot Time in the City, since we could not make the talk and won't make one while there? It will add to our knowledge of the history of NYC and the Immigrant Experience.

As  well we really should visit  a bookstore,   either the Strand or the Mystery Book Store!! Happily we have several days where options may be explored,  the first three days seem to have either the morning or the evening totally free. our TRICK is to be SURE that the OPTIONS are open should somebody decide they would like to go, say to the Tenement House, that if it's open to others, we make that known. For instance,  if Pedln wants to go to the Mystery Book Store,  on Saturday, how can we all know she's going? How shall we do this?

At Breakfast? We can't put a sign in the Lobby or can we? How can we organize this?  Most of us have cell phones, we could leave messages or call on them.

I really would like for nobody to be saying well,  here it's Saturday afternoon and I don't have anybody to go with/ eat with/ be with...where are YOU going now? that's my biggest fear (the woman who personally goes everywhere by herself worries over this as we're a GROUP). Don't want anybody standing around looking around as everybody takes off exticedly  in different directions.

How shall we address this?  

I do think we have enough "official" venues planned. I am sure also Gay will want to take a bus tour, coming from the UK and I am not sure if this is her first trip to the US or NYC or not. We'll find out!

Also I'm asking how to put on the Chart these things? For instance Pedln: I've never been to Chelsea Market and will probably tie that into a visit to the High Line Park on Saturday am.

And I'd like to go to the Strand, and there's also a neat Mystery Book Store in Grenwich Village.  And I think it would be fun also to visit one of those Roof top places and sip something while the lights come on in the city.

See that's the thing? Shall we keep all these options in the POSSIBILITIES BOX and kind of go with the flow, the weather, and how we feel that morning?   OR?

I'm willing to do whatever you'd all like vis a vis the calendar above, but having just tromped thru Europe I know,  depending on different factors, how you have to adjust as you go: it's like eating, sometimes your eyes are bigger than your stomach. If you don't  adjust to your own stamina, you kill yourself.

Would it be better to have the options there and then decide the day before or even that morning? Seems to have worked in the past, as in "I think I'll go to XXX, anybody want to come?" Those tiny vignettes are what you remember, actually.

Pedln, I don't know who the Leo now recommends but I like Carmel.  1-866-666-6666 (don't be put off by the 6's). We got off the Russians the Leo recommended before because of their gouging with tips and tolls, they actually took us for a ride the last time we used them) and actually they've been bought out into another company.  Those prices are WAY low for a car in NYC. Tell you what.... I like the support here for going in style. I'll get us a car and we'll do it right.

I mean what's a tradition  if it's not upheld, right? The Met is difficult to get to, apparently Sarabeth's is not. Let's get ourselves to Sarabeths and we'll get those at the Leo to the Met. Then they can walk right down to the right when we exit and catch one of many buses.  Lucy, will you guide us here as to which one to get where we need to go at the time? Also any of us can catch easily a cab, they stop in front of the museum, not a problem.

Those going to Times  Square at night? If you don't want to take the express subway, you can walk to the Mariott Marquis and get a cab from their underground garage. Any time of the day or night.  The cabs typically (fair warning) do NOT want to go to 23rd street, however.

New Yorkers, I need to know how many of you will meet us at the Met, looks like Zulema will be there, and how many will want to ride along and share the experience from the Leo. I know several of you like Lucy live WAY WAY out, so does Zulema apparently, so just let me know how many seats I need in the car, it's the number of passengers (of course) which determines the size of the car which comes. Carmel, also, unlike a lot of other limos, does have the Leo House on their list of where they deliver from the airports.

The only thing with Carmel is you HAVE to turn your cell phone on about a half hour before pick up as they will call anxiously from the driver as he circles the airport.

So that's done!! Our Friday Morning at the Met awaits the Met now, I like pleasant surprises. :)  This certainly seems to be turning out splendidly so far, thanks to you all. I do think now I must see the Tenement House, how far is it from the Leo, Lucy? Is it walkable?

OH did you see 97 Orchard Street  there?

(Why do I have the feeling that I am not going to be able to LIFT my suitcases upon departure due to books? ) hahahaa

Remember also you can bring books for Bruce and Maryann to autograph if you  like. ARE any of you bringing their books? I will bring Bruce's book if somebody will bring Maryann's, (if you are, will you say so, do you have the hardback so it can stand UP on its own or the paperback? I have the hardback and I can bring it if necessary), and we can prop them both up on our table at Sarabeth's? Nice to have such a fabulous place, we don't need to worry about decorations, tho I still have my centerpiece that Ann made for....was it.....1998?

May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #202 on: August 13, 2010, 09:41:32 AM »
Soooo, many choices!
I do believe that Pedl'n's High Line Park was originally planned for Saturday morning.
and then we were going to the market, Chelsea or the other one.  Speaking of the High Line, we are reading for our f2f group, Pete Hamil's "North River" in which he mentions the building and running of the new High Line.  The book is set in the 1930's.  Great story!

So, we have a free Friday afternoon, a free Saturday morning, Thursday after the Cruise (may I suggest that those of us who want to see the park could go after lunch on Thursday,if we are still standing), Sunday for who isn't going to Ellis Island or a play.  Well, we can hold a meeting in Ginny's big room for one and see where everyone wants to go.  Or we can take over the cafeteria on Wednesday morning?? Tee hee!
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #203 on: August 13, 2010, 10:32:33 AM »
I'm not wanting to tell anyone what kind of vehicle to take from Airport to Leo, but for the trip into town, on the advice from Judy and Liz, that taxis were just as easy as car service and did not cost any more.  One trip from LGA to Brooklyn's Prospect Heights was $26 and another was $35.  At LaGuardia you just get in a taxi line, and everyone gets their taxi in turn.  Easy.

My first trip -- when the girls lived in lower Manhattan, I took the Super Shuttle for about $15.  It even dropped some folks off at Leo House.  Not the speediest way, and I wouldn't recommend it for going from Leo to the Airport

I must see the Tenement House, how far is it from the Leo, Lucy? Is it walkable?

Not walkable, unless you're like J & L who walked from that area to Central Park.  The Tenement House is below 1st Street, so you're talking over 25 blocks at least.

Eloise

• Montreal
« Reply #204 on: August 13, 2010, 01:40:37 PM »
See that's the thing? Shall we keep all these options in the POSSIBILITIES BOX and kind of go with the flow, the weather, and how we feel that morning?   OR?

If you don't  adjust to your own stamina, you kill yourself.

I don’t think you have to chart what is going to be loose Ginny. You have the main unmovable events on a chart and for what to do before or after those events it would be an individual choice. If two or three people want to go somewhere together during the loose time they would want to know where and when to meet for that. I suggest that we have a mini meeting after breakfast at the Leo to organize our time each day. I volunteer to be at the cafeteria for an hour to take messages and keep everybody informed on what is happening on that day. As you say we have to be flexible and, say, if it’s pouring rain and we want to change our plans and go somewhere else we can do that then.

Those going to Ellis Island would leave the Leo together in the morning. The afternoon would be free and those not going to Ellis Island would know where to meet their friend because we have already talked about it at the mini meeting. The same thing goes for the Met.

I would LOVE a Roof Top place to see the lights come on in the city and RELAX there.

I am not about to rush around getting exhausted and I don't have a cell phone.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #205 on: August 13, 2010, 01:53:57 PM »
Well, Pedl'n,
Mary and I have always taken a cab and split the cost so usually cheaper than the shuttle.  Around $12 or $13 apiece.

You can get to the Tenament Museum on the Subway or the bus.  Sounds to me like Pedl'n and JoanR might be the experts on the buses.  And others who have provided us with info on transportation.

"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

JoanR

« Reply #206 on: August 13, 2010, 02:30:32 PM »
This looks like some useful information from the official High Line site:

July 28, 2010
Enjoy a Free, Guided Walking Tour with a High Line Docent

High Line DocentsHigh Line Docents are volunteers trained by Friends of the High Line staff on all aspects of the High Line’s history, design, and distinct horticultural elements. Every Saturday at 11:00 AM, a High Line Docent leads a free, guided walk through Section 1 for up to 20 people. Meet at the bottom of the Gansevoort Street stair. Space is available on a first-come, first-served basis.
  - end of quote

Also:  NYC bus and subway maps are available in Penn Station - when I come through there on Thursday, I'll see how many they'll let me have.  I find that bus map very useful myself.

Pedln - Are those stairs at the HighLine OK for us?

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #207 on: August 13, 2010, 04:39:49 PM »
Pedln - Are those stairs at the HighLine OK for us?

JoanR, I used the elevator at 16th St. but as I recall, the stairs looked okay.  And, if you can get bus and subway maps that would be great.

Lucylibr

« Reply #208 on: August 13, 2010, 05:33:41 PM »
]The High Line has an elevator at 14th and 16th and Gansevoort.  If you go to Internet and download map of Ligh Line you will see that the Chelsea Market is nearby on West 16th.  I think I will be going there soon and will report.

No, I do not need a ride to the Met--will come on A train and bus.

Better look at the Tenement Museum site and read carefully what is available when, etc. And when you cen get into the store which includes a very good book stores, every conceivable title relating to NYC, novels, poetry, history, etc.

The program I went to was about the book by Edward Kohn, "Hot Time in the Old Town," the heat wave of 1896, which lasted 10 days and killed many people who lived in the tenements.  Theodore Roosevelt was police commissioner and had free ice delivered to the tenement people, which was a very progressive approach by a city which otherwise did nothing.  The author made the point that heat waves are not classified as disasters but even today they kill many people as in Chicago in 1995. In the heat wave of 1896, the people who died were not old or infirm but often were workers in hot manufacturing environments, policemen who were required to wear wool uniforms, and lots of babies.  It's a grim account of brutal living conditions and an uncaring government.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #209 on: August 14, 2010, 08:41:56 AM »
OH this is SOOO exciting and on Friday the 13th, too!!

ELOISE! YAY! Thank you!

I don’t think you have to chart what is going to be loose Ginny. You have the main unmovable events on a chart and for what to do before or after those events it would be an individual choice. If two or three people want to go somewhere together during the loose time they would want to know where and when to meet for that. I suggest that we have a mini meeting after breakfast at the Leo to organize our time each day. I volunteer to be at the cafeteria for an hour to take messages and keep everybody informed on what is happening on that day. As you say we have to be flexible and, say, if it’s pouring rain and we want to change our plans and go somewhere else we can do that then.

I agree, let's do that and YES YES YES!! Thank you! Eloise is our ...what shall we call her? Activities  Liason? Coordinator? Yes, this will be super, many many thanks.  Eloise, do you have a photo of yourself so that people will recognize you at breakfast and otherwise?

I would LOVE a Roof Top place to see the lights come on in the city and RELAX there.

New Yorkers, what does this suggest?  Top of the Rock? Maybe Eloise will eat with me at the revolving restaurant at the Marquis. There are two levels of revolving restaurants, one is expensive with gourmet food and reservations, the bottom one is a buffet, no reservations, just walk in and cheaper.

I love it but I'm a sucker for eating watching lights go by.

Lucy thank you so much, you now have a picture of the immigration issue which I don't. I must go to the Tenement House, they've been sending me emails since  2008 and I've still not gotten there.

Thank all of you for the transportation information, there's really nothing like having people on the spot or native to the area to make you feel somewhat secure: once again, what is the bus fare which you have to have to hand? What change?

(I love the British, even with my white hair they always shyly ask as if it might be a questionable issue: "concessions?" (Senior Discount?) yeah man. hahaaha

To the Leo House from Newark the cheapest taxi I ever got was $45, and then there was a tip. The Shuttle takes eons while they leave off everybody else at different hotels, but you do get to see the hotels. The last time I took it the driver was a non English speaking mad man. He tore across the bridge muttering to himself and I thought we were going a little fast, so checked the speedometer, it was 80 mph.  When we got there he insisted on being paid again, despite my receipt. No thanks.

You can also get the train to Penn Station M-F and then ....take a cab or walk, it's not all that far but I'm not doing it. One of us is a wuss. I'll save my energy so I can see what I came to see, but that may be just me.

OK we're all set and good to go with our activities and the HighLine looks like the happening place to be along with the Tenement Museum, so many choices, so little time.

And there's NEWS, Friends, big news, and I do hope you will love it, see next post!

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #210 on: August 14, 2010, 08:55:36 AM »
OK the Met has come up with a fabulous sounding tour customized just for us, and they are really happy about it and I HOPE you will be, too!~ Yesterday was Friday the 13th and some bad things happened, but what I see here and the news from the Met totally overcame that.

Look as hard as you can, you won't see this tour or even this subject offered by the Met, they've done this one just for us!!!!

We're a book group, right? We're also Latin students, right? So what should be right down our alley?

Our tour is classified as a "special topic," don't you love that?

It's on books: the history of   book binding, books, illuminated manuscripts (Latin) and related works.

I  can't believe they have done this: at every gathering we've ever had, going back to 1998,  I have bleated in vain about seeing how books are bound  or having the technique explained. Every museum I ever go in I run to the area where they explain this or show it. In Munich I stood for an hour in a German crowd hearing a lecture demonstration in German of which I understood not a word, but we made paper and then we bound it. I really think I could make paper now. The leader of the demonstration would address questions to the crowd (in German). He always seemed a tad confused when I never answered him. hahahaha

Then of course I got lost in their replica of a mine shaft and was nearly killed, but that's another story. hahaha

The history of book binding,  starting with Illuminated manuscripts, did you know they had factories to assemble them?  I   would personally kill to see how books are bound and assembled. I never open any book (this may be just me) without looking at how it's been assembled, glued and sewn. I have actually a small and humble collection of illuminated ms pages, (do you know what MAKES an "Illuminated Manuscript" illuminated?)  and they were worried that their collections would not support this topic but we have a brave guide in Rebecca Arkenberg who will take this on, just for us.

YAHOO! We're about books and here's our customized topic, I am very excited.

We will eat at the Atrium Cafe in sight of the Tiffany and La Farge stained glass windows under the glass, rain or shine, and it should be a day to remember.

I am sure everybody will  then run home and assemble their own book to show their prowess, right?  Maybe we should make one for the entire trip as a souvenir, maybe online. You'll never look at a book the same way again, THINK of how you can bore your family and friends over dinner!

I am SOOO excited! I hope you are, too.

The Listening Devices people want us there at 9:30 sharp when the doors open so they can explain how they work, they really are rolling out the carpet here, I'm excited again.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! SeniorLearn ROCKS!

Eloise

• Montreal
« Reply #211 on: August 14, 2010, 10:50:15 AM »
New Yorkers, what does this suggest?  Top of the Rock? Maybe Eloise will eat with me at the revolving restaurant at the Marquis.

Yes again Ginny, Upstairs or Downstairs I don't care, just to be with you, and others. I love heights, the higher the better. I will get my grandson Anthony to take my picture only for this time because I don't have a recent one.

Stunning illumination. The first time I heard about this was during Les Pérégrines discussion some years back. The Met will be a memorable museum visit for me. I have seen several museums in Europe but I feel that the New York one will be the best ever.

Thank you for all that you do Ginny.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #212 on: August 14, 2010, 12:00:27 PM »
Ah, Ginny, you must be saying all the right things to the Met personnel!  Can't wait to take the tour.  Lets talk about the transportation.  Are you arranging that for the met tour?? 
I am glad we are starting at the Met instead of the Cloisters.  I wasn't too thrilled about eating from machines.

To those of you who received a schedule from me, ignore it.  Your names were in a group list and when i included Mary, everyone on this trip got to see our schedule,too.  Mea culpa!

Lucylibr

« Reply #213 on: August 14, 2010, 12:30:28 PM »
The Met program sounds great. It's a subject I am very interested in and have forgotten about having been out of library school for many years now. 

There was an article in the TIMES about rooftop bars, but I have no idea where they are or how to get into them. They are quite exclusive, hangouts for the elite I am thinking.  Lucy

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #214 on: August 14, 2010, 12:36:07 PM »
Thankyou Eloise, I am so glad you're pleased and thank you for the photo. I will put it in the calendar blocks  so people can know to look for you!~ It's already in the heading in red.

Let's talk about transportion.   Are you arranging that for the met tour??

Yes I am, and I'm glad you like the Tour!!  So far Lucy and Zulema have said they will meet us AT the Met. I need to know exactly how many people are coming and IF they need a ride from the Leo. Please email me if you are NOT in need of a ride. The limos go by the number of people traveling, so this is ONE time we need a definite head count. Why should we pay for a bigger car than we need?

I am glad we are starting at the Met instead of the Cloisters.  I wasn't too thrilled about eating from machines.

I think in both cases the self serve just indicates the food is there for you to select from, I don't think there are machines. This is not the fancy restaurant at the Met, I did ask about it, wanting a nice time but the group rate of $65 per person kind of threw me off? hahahaa

However I saw the Cafe in December, it's very nice under the glass, weather resistant, with views of the stained glass. It's small but there are lots of tables. I think it does not open till 11:30 so we should be right in time.

WHEE!! Everybody should now have some background on Achilles which will be of fantastic interest IF you are planning to go see the Montelone chariot after lunch. If you are not, you don't need it, tho it's really something. If you are going (I figure 10 minutes, tops, depending on how fast you can walk to both), and somebody with you is also going, please forward it to them, I may not have their email.

Yahoo!

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #215 on: August 14, 2010, 12:56:52 PM »
THERE is Lucy, we were posting together, I am so glad the subject is of interest,  YOU of course were a librarian!!  Heck you could probably lead it yourself!

Eloise, it's one of the greatest museums in the world, something for everybody, and they have general tours of the highlights, too. I don't know which area interests me the most, the Greek and Roman galleries, I mean the hoplite helmets alone I  used an entire chip on, the armor!! The Egyptian collections and the entire Temple of Dendur (thanks in part to our old friend, now gone, Tom Hoving), the art (they do have a Vermeer), I love the Assyrian stuff,  the stained glass, it's endless and open till 9:00 pm Fridays. They PROBABLY but I don't know, have music that night.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #216 on: August 14, 2010, 06:56:26 PM »
Ginny, thank you, thank you, thank you for setting up this fantastic trip and tour at the Met.  You surely have the magic touch with the folks there, or should I say, the magic voice. Illuminated manuscripts.  I can't wait.  I need to print all of this out now so I can read all the notes carefully.

Lucy, I saw that article in the NY Times.  It made me think that that would be a neat thing to do.  They're exclusive?

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #217 on: August 15, 2010, 12:16:22 PM »
Pedln, I am so glad it suits!

An excellent question has arisen on how do they know it was chess?

There's a lot of discussion, actually, on what it really was.  Most sources call it "chess"  for lack of a better word. The vase clearly shows  Achilles hollering out 4 and Ajax hollering out 3.

Here is all you probably ever wanted to know about this vase and the game:

What game are they playing? One theory. 51 short illustrated and fascinating  pages on the vase and the game, all interesting: see one below:

But that is not the last, or the only word in scholarship over the game. It's interesting, tho. :)

[/color]

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #218 on: August 15, 2010, 05:19:14 PM »
Ginny,
You do have Mary and I on that visit to the Met, right???

JoanR

« Reply #219 on: August 15, 2010, 07:41:01 PM »
Ginny - Thanks for arranging such a fabulous event!!  Meg says she will take Friday off from the library so that she can come in Thursday night and go with us to the Met.
So that's one more head for you to count!!!!

Lucylibr

« Reply #220 on: August 15, 2010, 09:23:09 PM »
Today I went to the High Line Park and the Chelsea Market, both exceptional, very pleasant and rewarding. The Market is right by the High Line on West 16th and 10th Avenue. I took A train from home to 14th and walked the few blocks. The elevator to the High Line was not working, but I made it up the steep staircase and was delighted with the park. It has wild, natural vegetation and flowers, many benches and places to rest, a pavilion with stained glass windows,  and some art and refreshments for sale. One can see the river and some excellent views of the city. It was raining lightly but not enough to deter me.

The  Market is terrific with many interesting places to snack and dine and a good bookstore as well as other stores and lots of seating and bathrooms. I think these locations are a "must see," easily accessible and worth the time.

Eloise

• Montreal
« Reply #221 on: August 16, 2010, 12:30:45 AM »
Going back to the first page, I have made a list of the things people said they would like to do during the loose hours between Main Events, that is the Cruise, the Met and Sarabeth’s.  If you don’t mind emailing me or posting who is interested in doing what it would make it easier than doing it on the first morning. Mind you this doesn’t have to be a firm commitment, it’s just to have an idea of who wants to go where and with whom. I don’t think I can visit more than two places in one day. We have to make time for meals and for resting too. We know the time we have to be at the Met and Sarabeth’s, but not the Cruise. I think Lucy who could tell us at what time it is and how long it lasts.

The Strand
Book Store in Grewich Village
Top of the Rock,  Marquis Hotel
Tenement House and Book store
St. Patrick’s Cathedral
Hudson Cruise
High Line Park
Chelsea Market
Cloisters
Foreign films
Guggenheim
Bus tour of Manhattan
Ground Zero
Broadway Shows
Union Square
Lunch at Eataly
Window shopping

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #222 on: August 16, 2010, 09:03:02 AM »
Eloise,

What a good idea!

And you are so right about leaving time for traveling to each of the venues.  And time for a little sit down now and then.   Also, we must remember that NYC is on EST or EDT so when we meet anywhere starting around 6pm, its going to be dark when we leave.  I think, it will be starting to get dark by 6pm.

Don't forget that some of us(8 or 9) are meeting at the Fraunces Tavern Museum on Wednesday at 3pm and then we are off to dinner at the Bridge Cafe at 6pm.  In 2008, we went for dinner at the Fraunces and caught cabs back to the Leo, sharing the cost.  

I would choose the earliest time for Thursday's  Circle Line Cruise of 10:30am but am willing to go whenever.  Noon wouldn't be bad either.  We could take our time eating the wonderful  breakfast at the Leo.   Why don't we vote on a time here? Lucy did put up times for us to choose from but I don't know if we have chosen one yet.  I believe that two of the times were 10:30am and 12noon, but we need the other times and Lucy's opinion of the best one.

Mary and I do want to see the High Line Park and the Chelsea Market.   Maybe after our Cruise on Thursday or our museum visit and lunch on Friday??  Or there is always Saturday or Sunday morning??  What say you all?  Ped'ln, What is a good time to go??  We can be loose here, just in case it rains.

So far, we have a a couple of members who are interested in seeing a play on Sunday and Mary and I will be going to the matinee for "Viagra Falls", an off-Broadway  comedy at 3pm.  For those who are interested in going up to the Broadway area, take a peek at Broadway.com.  For those who want to go with Mary and I to see the comedy, don't forget to order your tickets.  This can be done online at Broadway.com.

I believe that there is also a group going out to Ellis Island on Sunday.

Lucy,
How good of you to visit two of our venues and report on them to us.  So you approve of the High Line Park and the Chelsea Market.  Are the steps going to be a problem for anyone here??  Should any of us opt out of the park trip?  Maybe any who do could meet us at the Chelsea Market at a set time?

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #223 on: August 16, 2010, 09:06:53 AM »
Fabulous fabulous fabulous, thank you, ALL!!

I just love what our Gatherings have become, with everybody pitching in together.

Thank you Lucy for setting out in the rain yet to check those venues out for us!

Thank you, Joan, I am excited that Meg can come! Ann, yes I have you and Mary.

Thank you, Eloise, my goodness, how organized you are, I feel completely covered now in all eventualities.

How much is the change for the bus, anybody?
I keep forgetting. Eloise I will bring you  and Gay from England lots of American change, you'll jingle when you walk.

The Top of the Rock, at 30 Rockefeller Plaza, looks to be something if you like views and heights nobody should  miss: LOOK at this!

http://www.trustedtours.com/store/Top-of-the-Rock-Observation-Deck-at-Rockefeller-Center-C386.aspx

Just pictures here: http://www.topoftherocknyc.com/

I've never been. The description sort of uncomfortably reminds me of the World Trade Center where I took my children so many times.

The Mariott Marquis at Times Square, is a hotel with a Broadway Theater and two revolving restaurants which also show views, as they turn, mostly of other buildings, but some views of the harbor, and you can look straight down and see the ants (taxis) on the street, it's a nice way to eat pre theater.

There is also a fabulous Broadway Store with anything you can think of pertaining to Broadway souvenirs sort of under the underground Marquis drop off and parking area.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #224 on: August 16, 2010, 09:11:36 AM »
I vote,  on the Cruise,  to begin the day with it as early as we can, so as to have a lovely beginning to our day and to have the afternoon free. Lucy says it does not leave from the South Street Seaport so if you were planning to get your half price tix then, you won't, it leaves from a different pier. I don't think a taxi shared to it would be prohibitive, do you, Lucy? They also take photos as you enter the boat unless they have changed that, and it would make a nice souvenir. I still have the one from 1998.

So I vote to get up and go!!

Eloise

• Montreal
« Reply #225 on: August 16, 2010, 09:17:46 AM »
Here are some of the places I would like to go with someone. Pedln mentioned Union Square and the Strand. Double Decker Bus Tour, I don't know who wants to do that. Top of the Rock at the Marquis with Ginny. St. Patrick's Cathedral with Alf (Andrea). 

When we arrive at the hotel, we won't have each other's room number and if we want to speak with someone about what to do, the morning mini-meeting is the only place where we will be able to plan our free time, unless we have emailed each other previously. Canadians cell phones don't work in the US, so I won't one unfortunately, because I could certainly use one.

Lucy the High Line Park certainly sounds interesting. I will see later if I will put my name down. Did you receive emails regarding the Hudson Cruise?

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #226 on: August 16, 2010, 09:26:07 AM »
Eloise see my post on the Top of the Rock and the Marquis, two different venues both of which we can see if you like.

And more news, the Met is trying to arrange for the  Audio people to come to us at the 81st street entrance, my goodness, hang on and they'll let us know.

Also,  those going to see the Cubiculum and the Chariot? You'll  go in style with your own official Lecturer with Badge yet. Can you believe that? C'est moi! I'm trying to think what else we can swan into officially with our official badge. (just kidding), JUST KIDDING!  Just color me chuffed this morning.  Long Live the Met!!

Eloise

• Montreal
« Reply #227 on: August 16, 2010, 09:47:58 AM »
Two things to rectify. I will add the 9/11 museum to the list, I thought I had it though. And I do have the Tenement House, I guess I could put Tenement Museum instead.

We can vote for the time we take the Cruise. I think Lucy said it is an all day event. Because of land transportation to and from.

Ginny said: I vote,  on the Cruise,  to begin the day with it as early as we can, so as to have a lovely beginning to our day and to have the afternoon free. Me too.

Ann, I guess that for Broadway shows you really have to get seats together when you buy tickets. So it’s hard to join someone who already has tickets.

Ann, I didn’t include Fraunces, sorry, because I will arrive in NY only in the evening of the 8th, but certainly more people can join can’t they? Yes EST in New York City, Gay will probably be on Jet Lag, poor girl. I hope she wants to see the Glitter and Excitement of NYC with me. Where is she?

Ginny, I got some US dollars but banks here don’t have US coins, I have to get those in New York. I guess at Penn Station when I get the bus schedule.

I will post changes to the list as I get information about who wants to go where.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #228 on: August 16, 2010, 10:34:59 AM »
Where do we get on the Circle Cruise?  I took it three years ago, but that was on my first visit to NY and the girls took care of all the particulars.  All I remember is that Judy and I got a cab somewhere, and daughter Joan (from California w/baby Ruby) walked, pushing the stroller because putting in a car seat would be a pain. (And she got there first)  I don't remember any picture  -- they probably took one look at us and ran the other way.  I was thinking we got off somewhere in lower Manhattan. Do you have to get your ticket ahead of time, or is there a ticketbooth right near the boat?

If that's the case, it woud be neat to eat lunch downtown someplace and then explore down there or areas nearby -- St. Paul's chapel, 9/11 museum, Tenement place, what's that park in Chinatown where people bring their birdcages and hang them in trees?  Mind you, I don't know.  These places could be miles away.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #229 on: August 16, 2010, 12:42:11 PM »
Pedln, great questions, I am sure Lucy will have the answers.

HERE is the gorgeous Eloise, look for her at  Breakfast, she's our Activities Coordinator!

You need Badge or something, Eloise, to show your official status!!

Lucylibr

« Reply #230 on: August 16, 2010, 01:11:28 PM »
The cruise leaves at the following times: 10, 12:30, 3:30 from Pier 83, at 42nd near the Hudson. It lasts 3 hours, cost for seniors $30.  The ticket booth is right by the departure point. I think it best NOT to buy tickets in advance. What if the weather is bad? If it's too cloudy you cannot see much. I am not aware of them taking your photo as you get on the ship. They do that on cruise lines, but this is just a public, come as you are event.

There is a bus from 42nd and 8th that takes you to the pier although every bus down 42nd does not go to the pier. So you have to ask or look at the signs on the bus. Better I think to take a cab.  I will join you for an early breakfast at Leo House that day. We should get to the pier a half hour or so in advance.  It will be an early morning.

City buses for seniors cost $1.25 in cash with the remote possibility of them asking for senior I.D.

I went to Union Square Saturday. It operates Mon., Wed., Fri., and Sat.  It's a big farmers type market with annoying bikers and skateboarders cruising about. It is near the Strand, but for itself it's not really a must-see.

Lucylibr

« Reply #231 on: August 16, 2010, 01:32:27 PM »
The places you mention to go to after the cruise are not walking distance. Things to do right near Times Square are King Tut exhibit, Wax Museum, many places to eat, stores for souvenirs and Broadway stuff, and specialty stores, like M&M's, Hershey's, and the latest, a Pop Tart store. Also you can take a bus tour from there, hop-on-hop-off, and there may be briefer tours.

It might be a good time to go to Chelsea Market, not far away, 14th and 10th Ave, where there are more upscale lunch places and the High Line to visit.  Or lower Manhattan, 9/11 Museum, and I will check on St. Pauls (I'll be down there for union meeting the day before you arrive). There are many places to eat, and it's near China Town, which I will check on how to reach. Tenement Museum is on the East Side, F train, have to check on access and times there.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #232 on: August 16, 2010, 06:41:48 PM »
A dollar and a quarter! Thank you Lucy, I've got plenty of quarters right here and will bring spares.

No photos? I've still got the one saying  Circle Line from 1998, phooey, I was hoping for a group photo.

Don't ask me why I'm doing this but I just saw something on it on TV and i think it's fascinating. If you have a strange shaped plot of land where two streets come together, and you want to build a building, what do you do?

Bytes of the Big Apple #1:

Flatiron Building

Also known as: Fuller Building

Built: 1902

Designed by: Daniel H. Burnham

Type: Skyscraper

Maximum Height: 285 feet / 87 meters

Location: Fifth avenue between 22nd and 23rd streets, New York, United States

Not well known among those not from the area, or not into historic architecture, the Flatiron Building is a favorite of New Yorkers and admirers around the world. Perhaps because it symbolizes so much of how New Yorkers see themselves -- Defiant, bold, sophisticated, and interesting. With just enough embedded grime and soot to highlight its details.

The Flatiron's most interesting feature is its shape -- a slender hull plowing up the streets of commerce as the bow off a great ocean liner plows through the waves of its domain. The apex of the building is just six feet wide, and expands into a limestone wedge adorned with Gothic and Renaissance details of Greek faces and terra cotta flowers.

The building has two claims to fame -- one architectural, the other cultural. Some consider the Flatiron Building to be New York City's first skyscraper. It certainly was one of the first buildings in the city to employ a steel frame to hold up its 285-foot tall facade, but not the first. Some felt its shape (like a flatiron) was less artistic and more dangerous. They thought it would fall over, and during construction the Flatiron Building was nicknamed "Burnham's Folly."

The building's cultural legacy is a little more interesting and has passed into the local social consciousness as a fable. It is said that the building created unusual eddies in the wind which would cause women's skirts to fly around as they walked on 23rd street. This attracted throngs of young men who gathered to view the barelegged spectacle. Police would try to disperse these knots of heavy-breathers by calling to them, "23 Skidoo." This phrase has passed out of common usage, but its descendant, the word "scram" remains in a back corner of the American lexicon.

From: http://www.glasssteelandstone.com/BuildingDetail/438.php

I wonder if the driver going to the Met might swing by this on his way.

ALF43

« Reply #233 on: August 16, 2010, 07:19:14 PM »
Eloise- I am interested in the Grenwich Village bookstore, we aren't too far from there & I've already checked out the Strand.

I would love to go to the Top of the Rock, St. Pat's Cathedral, the Hudson Cruise, High Line Park and the Chelsea market.
It does not matter to me what time these are planned, I will be there.
 I love the Guggenheim and highly recommend bus tours throughout Manhattan.  I always do that when I go to the city and have never been disappointed. 

I am OUT for the ground Zero trip.
My problem is that I want to do it all.  I will be attending a off Broadway show with Ann and Mary, (I think.) 
Ann what day is that, Sunday??  It's a good think that I didn't order them, I thought is was for Saturday.  I love that Eloise is coordinating all of us.  It moves so smoothly with the expert hand of our Eloise.

Ginny, is everyone going to MMA via the limo?
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #234 on: August 16, 2010, 07:20:17 PM »
Do you remember The Devil in White City, about the serial murderer and the Chicago Exposition of 1893?  Daniel Burnham was the chief architect and the man behind the building of the Exposition.

Eloise, what a great picture!

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #235 on: August 16, 2010, 07:22:30 PM »

Andrea, that's a good question, I assumed,  and we know what that makes of me, that everybody at the Leo would want transportation,  are you coming in the limo with us or are you going another way? We need to be there at 9:30 when the doors open.

ALF43

« Reply #236 on: August 16, 2010, 07:49:11 PM »
Count me in, do you need a check?
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

Lucylibr

« Reply #237 on: August 16, 2010, 08:29:15 PM »
For the bus it is 5 quarters; you can use only coins on city buses, and they do not give you change. BE PREPARED!  Dimes and nickels are okay too.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #238 on: August 16, 2010, 10:58:41 PM »
I think I did vote but just in case, the earliest time of 10am is fine with me.  We do need directions for getting there, Lucy.  I have captured your post up above but still don't quite understand it.  Are you saying that  we could grab a number of cabs and all go from the Leo?? I know that the Leo can be notified that we need so many cabs while we can all split up and share the cost of the ride.  About how long does do you anticipate the trip wlll take?  Would you think if we boarded our cabs by 9am that we would be there in plenty of time for buying our tickets and boarding the boat??
I need a huge map of NYC with all of our destinations on it.  Well, actually, using Google Maps and putting each trip from the Leo to our destination will work.  That would be 5 to 7 maps but worth every penny, right?  I will do that in the morning.  Nighty night, all. 

Lucylibr

« Reply #239 on: August 17, 2010, 01:45:13 AM »
I think 9:00 would be plenty of time to go approx. 30 blocks.  How many of us?  However many cabs are needed. We can be more specific Wed. night when we have dinner.  I'm going to be at the Leo for breakfast Thursday morning early if that makes you feel any better.