Author Topic: Soiree in New York City: A Retrospective: Come share the adventures!  (Read 134271 times)

Eloise

• Montreal
Re: Soiree in New York City: come join us!
« Reply #400 on: September 04, 2010, 07:12:40 PM »

September 8-12, 2010
Everyone is invited!   

Autumn in New York, (are you singing?) What could be finer?

Based on the resounding success of our 10th Anniversary Gathering in NYC in 2008, we thought we'd try it again!~

Our Hotel: The Leo House:  "The Little Heart in the  Big City," with the best rates you'll find anywhere.

Hotel Information and Rates

Garden at the Leo House

If you are a Latin student, come meet some of  your classmates, for a fun filled day or  weekend:

Classics Students at the Met, NYC 2008

Brief  Schedule Outline
See below for details and plan to join us:

Sept 8th-Wednesday:
--Contact: Ann for details. Ann  plans for us to meet at the Fraunces Tavern Museum at 3:30 pm.  When the museum closes at 5pm, we'll walk to the Bridge Cafe, also historic,  for dinner. Our reservation is for 6 pm.  Fraunces Tavern is  where George Washington and his generals met after or during the Revolution.  The Bridge Cafe

Thursday 9/9: --LucyLibr--plans a cruise on the Hudson. Contact: Lucy for details.

Friday 9/10

Morning at the Met:

9:30: Note new time! Join us for a private tour of the Met with Assisted Listening Devices on the topic The History of Book Binding, Books, Illuminated Manuscripts and Related Works.  Free to SeniorLearn, only 4 slots remaining!

---Followed by Lunch in the Atrium Cafe under the glass.

---Followed by a short seque  open to all to see the  Cubiculum of Villa of P. Fannius Synistor, and the Monteleone Chariot! See email.

---After Lunch: Free Afternoon at Leisure

Saturday 9/11:  Our First Author's Tea at the award winning 
Sarabeth's,
 40 Central Park South
New York, N.Y. 10019
Phone 212 826 5959   Fax 212 826 0140

see below!
-

Sunday 9/12

Alf is planning a Surprise Venue for Breakfast!   Contact: Andrea  for details.

Those wanting to go to Ellis Island will convene in the Lobby of the Leo. As an alternative, Ann plans a trip to the Tenement Museum. OR just do your own thing! Contact: ginny for details.

Other Enticements:

Pedl'n plans a day at the newest NYC park, the High Line.    http://www.thehighline.org/ Contact: Pedln for details.

Eloise will be our Coordinator  daily at Breakfast at the Leo House. She will   be at the cafeteria for an hour to take messages and keep everybody informed on what is happening on that day.

Additional Possibilities:

The short terms, unscheduled -- High Line Park, with maybe a visit to Chelsea Market nearby, Union Square,  The Strand,  Chelsea Market,  shopping,  Tenement House  and Museum, Botanical Gardens, Etaly if open, a Broadway Show, Algonquin or Chelsea Hotels, concerts, opera, bus tour of NYC, etc.

Monday 9/13: : Travel Day:  Departure

New!!

9/11: Our  First Ever Author Tea at
Sarabeth's,
 40 Central Park South
New York, N.Y. 10019
Phone 212 826 5959   Fax 212 826 0140
on Central Park between 5th and 6th Avenue:  This is our room!

Join us on September 11 in this award winning restaurant looking out on the Park for one of their famous Teas, at less than half price, $10 only, no tax, and enjoy meeting our authors, Bruce Frankel,  and Maryann McFadden:

"I can think of no writer I'd rather have sing me songs of the sea, even sad ones, than Maryann McFadden."---Anne Rivers Siddons
We'll be discussing Maryann McFadden's book,  here on SeniorLearn beginning August 15 - at
"So Happy Together"
Join us today!

Bruce Frankel’s book, "What Should I Do With the Rest of My Life" is inspirational!  "This upbeat, inspiring, timely book shows how taking a risk and fighting to find a passionate career — at any age — can reinvigorate your life...”— Susan Shapiro
Come join Bruce now - and be inspired! 
Talking Heads ~ "What Should I Do With the Rest of My Life"

Contact: Ann today to secure your place at the table!  We have only a few seats left!~  Don't miss this one!!

See information about reservations at the LEO HOUSE. Deadline to reserve your accommodations is June 15!

Questions about the gathering? Contact: Ann

As a New Yorker would say, "What's not to like?" 

Join us if you can, you'll never forget it!

Sign in here and help us plan what you want to see and do!

Transportation:

Plan Your Trip!

"For a map go to MTA NYC Transit and look at the subway system map. It gives you an idea of how the city is laid out, east and west on either side of the Hudson.  You are staying on west side which is where the cruise port and Times Square are. I use Mapquest for specific locations like the Tenement Museum the other night." (Lucy)

Click to see the weather in NYC:

http://www.wunderground.com/US/NY/New_York.html 

[/center]You will note that I have put in a time for departure from the Leo house for the two events, Thursday and Friday but I don't have confirmation for this. I know it's one hour before the event but I don't know how long it takes to get there and reservations has to be made for a Limo. It's good to know what time to set the alarm for.  ;D

Only three days left before I leave.

Zulema

« Reply #401 on: September 04, 2010, 07:33:02 PM »
Eloise,

The city has printed bus maps as well as subway maps.  The Leo House should be able to tell you where to get them if they don't have them.   And just to be clear, Brooklyn Borough Hall is one or two subway stops in Brooklyn, once the train leaves Manhattan.  And they don't announce that you're now in Brooklyn, just the name of the station.

Zulema

« Reply #402 on: September 04, 2010, 07:46:57 PM »
People, look what I found at the American Guild of Organists website:

September 12 — Sunday

5:15 pm. Christopher Jacobson (Columbia, S.C.), organist. (Following Choral Evensong at 4:00 pm.) St. Thomas Church Fifth Avenue, Fifth Ave./53rd St. Free. (212) 757-7013, ext. 303. Handicapped accessible facility.  (And it's also listed on the church's website under Organ Recitals, but I really had to look for it).

I think Lucy and I were looking at the same St. Thomas Church website that listed church services and they didn't list the recital afterwards.  They did say that the Evensong is a service with a sermon but no communion.  And their men and boys' choir is spectacular.                        

I went looking for music and found this and another organ concert for money at St. Ignatius which is walking distance from the Met Museum on Park Ave. but not on anyone's Sunday route.

Lucylibr

« Reply #403 on: September 04, 2010, 09:26:39 PM »
The subway ride from midtown Manhattan to Borough Hall in Brooklyn is at most 30 minutes and generally not painful in any way.  People live in that neighborhood because the commute to Manhattan is so easy.

On the subject of churches: St. Thomas Evensong 4:00 p.m., not 4:30.

Another good church to visit is Trinity on Wall Street in Manhattan--trinitywallstreet.org/calendar.  That is the church that helped the survivors and responders to 9/11, and of course since the anniversary is coming while you are here there are many activities.  Five blocks from there is St. Paul's Chapel that housed a museum of 9/11 memorabilia, much of which has been moved to Vesey and Church Streets near the 9/11 site.

Lucylibr

« Reply #404 on: September 04, 2010, 09:32:50 PM »
I went to the St. Thomas site and am glad to see that the organ recitals are on.  Sorry, I completely missed it.  Thanks for finding it, Zulema.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #405 on: September 05, 2010, 10:27:34 AM »
JoanR,
Others might want to join you and Meg on Saturday after breakfast. Those who don't go to the High Line Park on Thursday might still want to see it.
I am not one for organ concerts but will the Evensong service have choral music??

Lucy and Zulema,
Glad we have found that there is an organ concert at St Thomas after Evensong. I am sure that some of us will want to go.  Whoever does plan on going could meet out front at 3:45??  

Today,its chilly here in downtown Gahanna!  Brrrrrrr!  50 degrees.  Packing mentally again!  This is getting more serious as we only have two more days before Mary and I leave for NYC.  Am just going to have to layer up or down.  Haha!

Alf,
I thought that we went to the Marquis before saw Spamalot?? No??? Where is the Marquis?  Is is close to our destination theatre??  Is it not where we have already eaten???  Alf, come in, come in!

I haven't heard from Suzanne or Vivian about going to the Fraunces Tavern museum but I know that Lucy is meeting Mary and I there.  That's three of us plus the quartet from the Leo who will meet us at the Bridge
Cafe and Zulema, who is also going to be at the Bridge Cafe at 6pm.

Here's the list of diners: There are 9 of us right now.  I have to confirm our number by Tuesday night.
Ginny
Ann
Mary
Lucy
Vivian
Pedl'n
Gay
Andy
Zulema

Eloise,
Your schedule has grown.  Could you put a meeting time for St Thomas Evensong and organ concert at 3:45pm?
Some of us might not want to attend both.  I am not much for the organ concert.  Am I starting to repeat myself.  I love the availability of "DELETE"!

Ginny,
Are we still on for the limo from the Leo to Sarabeth's??  Do you have a departure time?

Lucy,
I thought it was St Paul's who took in all the volunteers after 9/11.  When we were there in '08, they had it all laid out with stories of the volunteers plus other memoribilia so I just took it for granted that St Paul's had done it all.  It makes much more sense, since there were a plethora of volunteers, that Triinity opened their doors as a soup kitchen, a place to rest and even massage therapists were around.   Seems like there would be more room at Trinity for that story to happen.  I do have some lovely pictures from that little church.  

"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #406 on: September 05, 2010, 10:37:06 AM »
Annie, isn't Ginny going to the Bridge Cafe?

Zulema, I'm so glad the St. Thomas concert is still on.  I was looking forward to that.

Lucylibr

« Reply #407 on: September 05, 2010, 10:45:37 AM »
I'm planning to travel to the Fraunces with Vivian Wednesday, so you can count her in.

Do people going to the High Line Saturday know that there is a free guided tour at 11:00 a.m.?

The Marquis and the theater are surely walking distance from each other.  You just need to get addresses and write them down because it is a maze down there and you have to watch where you are going and keep track of the numbered streets.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #408 on: September 05, 2010, 10:51:40 AM »
Pedl'n,
Yes, Ginny is part of the quartet that you will be travling with down to the Bridge Cafe.  They will be in contact with you at the Leo or you could let them know when you arrive.

Thanks for the heads up on Vivian, Lucy.  So Mary and I will meet you and Vivian inside the front door entry area at 3:30?  Is that okay??

And, if we go to dinner at the Marquis, we will have Ginny to direct us as she has been in that area frequently. Right, Ginny?

"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

Eloise

• Montreal
« Reply #409 on: September 05, 2010, 11:17:30 AM »
Zulema, Lucy, thanks for the info on the subway, but I will pass this time. About the maps, I will arrive late on Wednesday and leave early on Thursday and I was hoping to get a map ASAP in case I needed it. I still don't have American coins as banks here don't have them.

Ann, I put in the time for St. Thomas Evensong. and I put the address for Hotel Marquis in the schedule, it's 1535 Broadway. I will post it later today. Time is getting shorter. Here it is cold, but apparently in NY we will have glorious weather in the 70s. Hourrah

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #410 on: September 05, 2010, 11:24:59 AM »
Lucy,
That's a good point on the Saturday free tour of the High Line park.  

Eloise,
Would you put that info in the calendar under the Saturday heading?  Just in case some of us are too pooped to pop without a nap after the Cruise.  That might be me or others.  I am getting to be such a whoose!!

Eloise

• Montreal
« Reply #411 on: September 05, 2010, 11:43:56 AM »

Eloise,
Would you put that info in the calendar under the Saturday heading? !

Which info are you talking about. We are exchanging lots of info here right now. Is it the St. Thomas infor about the time 3:45 pm? I thought it was Sunday.

ALF43

« Reply #412 on: September 05, 2010, 01:08:42 PM »
Annie-  The Marquis/Marriot is the one on Times Square.
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

Eloise

• Montreal
« Reply #413 on: September 05, 2010, 03:31:16 PM »

To avoid making the calendar/schedule become unmaneagable if it becomed too detailed I am reposting the venues  addresses and we can insert the item we want to go to in our own schedule. If you want you can print it. 

The Strand        =         828 Broadway
Book Store in Greenwich Village 
Top of the Rock,  Times Square.   =    44th street between 7th and 8th ave.
Marquis Hotel Revolving Restaurant      =     1535 Broadway
Tenement Museum and Book store   =   97 Orchard Street
Ellis Island       =      Port of New York   
St. Patrick’s Cathedral     =     460 Madison Avenue
High Line Park             
Chelsea Market  =   75 9th Avenue (Between 15th and 16th Streets),

Guggenheim       =      1071 Fifth Avenue (at 89th Street   
Museum of Modern Art     =     11 West 53 Street
Bus tour of Manhattan 
Ground Zero
Union Square       =        East 17th Street
Eataly       =         West 23rd Street near Fifth Avenue,
Greenwich Village bookstore 
TV show   =  Times Square
King Tut exhibition   =

King Tut Exhibition
The Museum of the American Indian  =    1 Bowling Green,
Morgan Library      =      225 Madison Ave,
St. John the Divine Cathedral      =    1047 Amsterdam Avenue,
St. Thomas Church       =     1 West 53rd Street,
Million Dollar Quartet     =       253 West 125th Street
Top of the Strand      =      33 West 37th Street
Glass Bar at Hotel Indigo   =      127 West 28th Street

Eloise

• Montreal
« Reply #414 on: September 05, 2010, 03:34:13 PM »
New York Soirée  Calendar

Wednesday September 8th
Fraunces Tavern Museum            =  3 :30 pm
Dinner at Bridge Café           =  6:00  pm

Thursday  September 9th,
Time to leave  Leo House       =   8:30
Hudson Cruise around Manhattan   =   9:30 am
Chelsea Market          = Lunch
High Line

Friday, September 10th
Transport to the Met by Limousine   =  8:45 am
Metropolitan Museum of Art      =  9:45 am
Lunch in the Atrium           =   noon
Chariot and Cubiculum       =   1:00 pm

Hotel Marquis
1535 Broadway NYC         =  6:00 pm
Million Dollar Quartet      =   8:00 pm

Saturday September 11th
Morning  and Lunch,  free
Tea at Sarabeth,          =  4:00 – 6:00 pm
40 Central Park South
New York, N.Y. 10019
Phone 212 826 5959

Sunday September 12th
Breakfast with Andrea        =  8 or 9 am
Ellis Island, transport to pier by taxi
Brooklyn Book Festival
Broadway on Broadway
St Thomas Evensong          =   3:45 pm
Lion King              =  6:30  pm

Monday September 13th
Departure

Lucy’s phone number
Home 347-230-4776 – Cell  609-709-8849

Zulema

« Reply #415 on: September 05, 2010, 05:43:43 PM »
For Annie:

Evensong has the combined choirs of men and boys, so yes Choral music.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #416 on: September 05, 2010, 08:41:55 PM »
Just in from a weekend family reunion in  Georgia. Let's just do this for tonight?

Eloise would you please change the arrival time at the Met to 9:30? We need to be there when the doors open, and it's 9:30 that happens. We are aiming for lunch at 11:30 unless people want to hear the 11:00 Gallery Talk then they will eat at 12:00.  

Do you all want a limo to the Met as well? I think we are unlikely to find a cab which wants to go that far, we're talking about a subway and then either a bus or catching a cab if we can? What do you think?

New Yorkers, how would you go to the Met? It's a long way from 81st to 23rd.

Ann I need to know when we can get IN Sarabeths, you'll be talking to them soon? That will determine when the limo comes on the 11th, and there may be a good bit of traffic that day (just thinking out loud).

The Mariott Marquis is between 45 and 46th Streets, fronting on Broadway in  Times Square. The Nederlander Theater is off 7th  on 208 41st, so if we eat, say, at the Marquis,   exiting the Marquis on Broadway in  Times Square, we'll turn right, on Broadway,  keep right on 7th  about 4  of the short blocks,  turn right on 41st, and it's not far down 41st to 208.  Then to get back we'll go back to 7th, turn left and to the  42nd street subway.  I am not sure of the neighborhood in those short blocks, I've walked down 7th but in the daytime, we can mass together like a tank. hahaaa

I THINK the press and the crowds that night will make it OK, but I do seem to have an unpleasant memory of walking that late at night, we'll be fine in our group with the crowd.

GINNY cannot lead herself out of a paper bag, :), everybody going (and it looks like a great theater evening)  check the locations of both the Marquis and the Nederlander in advance:

Here are both the Marquis with its theater (4)  and the Nederlander (6). Eloise, the Lion King is at (#5) on this map:

http://nederlandertheatre.com/map_locator.php

May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #417 on: September 05, 2010, 10:01:53 PM »
A limo to the met sounds good.  I don't do subways, and getting there on time by bus sounds iffy.  A cab is fine with me too, if we can get them.  What, we're talking 50 blocks?  I know nothing about what the cab drivers like or don't like to do.

Eloise

• Montreal
« Reply #418 on: September 05, 2010, 10:47:54 PM »
It would be better to put on the calendar what time to be downstairs and ready to leave. I don't have the impression that the Limos have been reserved yet. We should allow us time for the unexpected and leave a bit early for an event.

Please specify which event you are talking about when you post something. Sometimes I have to go back far to know what the post is about because I could make a change in the calendar on the wrong day. Thanks.

Lucylibr

« Reply #419 on: September 05, 2010, 10:54:26 PM »
I will have to ask Bob how to get to Met Museum from A train so I can get there and will also find out how you can get from Leo to Met by bus. Pedln is right; it is a bit complicated and could take a while, getting buses during late rush hour.

No need, Ginny, to fear walking in NYC at night in Times Square! I have been all over by myself to many worse places than Times Square. There are such crowds there of merry making tourists you can hardly get down the street. I used to go to movies there at the AMC all the time where they have recently discovered bedbugs, a greater hazard along with falling, than being mugged or assaulted.

Ann, I have to talk to Vivian about Wednesday. Is there a tour or some reason why we have to be there at 3:30?  I was thinking we would aim for that hour and when we get there simply join you in the museum, which is not large, so if we are late you can still be seeing the exhibits.

Lucylibr

« Reply #420 on: September 06, 2010, 01:36:03 AM »
How to get to the Metropolitan Museum from Leo House: if you take the C train, go uptown to 81st and Central Park West and from there take an M79 bus through Central Park directly to the museum. That's how I plan to get there.

If you take buses only, you will need to take an M23 to Madison Avenue, then an M1 to 79th and walk over to 5th Avenue.  I will have a bus map I can give to anyone who wants it.

A side note: September 11, the 8th Avenue Street Fair will be going on--between 14th and 23rd, right near the Leo.  These happenings are kind of fun. I was in Manhattan today and went to the Brazil Street Fair and found it much improved over street fairs a few years ago--good food and decent shopping.

Eloise

• Montreal
« Reply #421 on: September 06, 2010, 07:59:11 AM »
Thank you Lucy. I printed the instruction in case we have to go to the Met by Public transport. But I hope it will be by Limo or taxi, but in case that's not possible, we will take other means. I hope we can stay together, sometimes buses are crowded, during rush hour and we might have to separate.

I printed that map Ginny's map. It makes it very clear in my mind and I can always locate myself in a city with a map in my hand.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #422 on: September 06, 2010, 10:02:29 AM »
That street fair sounds like a lot of fun, Lucy.

My printer from H___ decided to work last night, so I've printed out bus directions for the Met, Sarabeth's, Ellis I, etc., as well the PDF file of the Manhattan Bus Route -- in 4 pieces.  But would much rather take a limo or taxi to the Met.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #423 on: September 06, 2010, 11:35:20 AM »
I just spent a half hour answering all your questions and lost the whole creeping post.  Damn!
Answers in a nutshell:
Lucy, if you and Vivian want to arrive late or not at all at the museum, it closes at 5pm when we will be walking or busing down to the Bridge Cafe.  Let me know by email. or call: 1 614 478 7891  Home:
Cell-1 614 256 7600.

Are we planning on using cabs or another limo to the Cruise??

Ginny,
My question about the Marriott Marquis was didn't Andrea, Mary, you and I, eat there before seeing Spamalot?

Time to arrive at Sarabeth's and get into room is 3:45pm.

Yes, to all limos planned.  

JoanR,
What I hear you saying is if one wants to just hear the choral music, one can leave after Evensong.  Right?

Eloise,
I see from your schedule that you do know that Evensong is on Sunday at St Thomas.

I have misplaced most of my maps so will have to depend on everyone else bringing theirs.  Or is time allows, try printing them out again tonight.  I am leaving for NYC tomorrow so must do my packing to day.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #424 on: September 06, 2010, 11:37:24 AM »
OOook, looks like we're well on the way here and the 8th Avenue Street Fair is something I really want to attend, thank you SO much, Lucy, I am so glad to hear about it! YAY for NYC!!

Eloise, no, as of last week I had actually  confirmed three limo reservations, two for my own use,  secured happily with coupons off for each,  but the Sarabeth's time of arrival has changed, as you can see, so the time to be downstairs was invalid until we heard  when one should be downstairs.

However, I'm out of time so this  morning I have arranged a 4th ride for us to the Met, (it is not a limo)  and I have (sorry) arbitrarily changed the time of the  pick up for Sarabeth's,  (I see that suits Ann's arrangements too, so we're win/win)  to enable us to get there at the last suggested time. Now no matter what Sarabeth's says, we leave at 3:15, we  have to get something firm here so the car can actually come? hahahaa

I am not making any more changes to these reservations, rain, shine or hailstorm. :) Or street fair.  They have been asked to drive past the Flatiron Building so you all can see it on the way to Sarabeths.

On 9/11 we have a stretch limo as is our tradition. It will leave at 3:15 (they all have a 1/2 hour ride,  which is logical) and will get there probably around 3:45. This we will not change again, so be sure to bring an umbrella, everybody, just in case, what fun and snazzy take off.

For the Met again the 1/2 hour,  and we have decided on 8:45 as the pick up time instead of 9 am, so around a little before 9 we'll assemble in the lobby. This is not a stretch limo but a mini van for 6 and a town car for 4. This will afford us half price on the trip, two more coupons off, and save our limo swanking around for our piece de  resistance, Sarabeth's.

I must say this is a record, even for me, with 4 car services in 6 days hahaha, but how many times are you going around? We're not staying at the Ritz, so let's have a little VIP treatment for our old bones. hahahaa It's  well worth it, I have done the subway up to the Met and the bus and the walk when the subway station was unexpexctely closed for the day, we can do your walking (and it will be a lot) IN the Museum, let's just get there without a lot of hassle,  and enjoy. (And then of course, remember, you have to get yourselves home from each venue).

Zulema, you are right, I THINK. Nobody get all tied up with the Carson Hall name  business. In two phone conversations, with the Met Assistant Coordinator and our Guide Rebecca,  both of them mentioned the Carson thing and both mentioned  this room off the 81st street entrance, but they mentioned a of things:   the main thing to remember is that Rebecca will meet us at the door at 9:30, she's going early, and personally convey us (talk about VIP treatment, we did not have anything like this last time!) where we need to go. I tell you, HER name  we all need to write down somewhere for future reference.

Pedln I laughed in sympathy about your printer from H____. My own Printer from H______ has decided not to print the little souvenir brochures/ booklets I have worked on SO long, my desk is covered with info and photos, and so our memories, those going, of the cubiculum and the chariot part,  will be your best souvenir.

What is important about the chariot is not its size, but the fact it's there at all.  It's Etruscan, a people which until fairly recently we knew almost nothing about (they still don't agree on what language they may have spoken), and this, from a tomb, is one of the very few complete chariots to survive from antiquity. It's made of bronze on wood, with elephant and hippopotamus ivory. Because chariots were not used in warfare when it was made, they theorize it was for ceremonial purposes before being buried in a tomb. It's  2nd quarter 6th c BC, and seems to be some kind of bridge between the Etruscans  and the Greeks. The subject matter is Greek, the chariot style is Etruscan.  Very important artifact.

Well I'm excited! Our transportation for Friday and Saturday is now set in stone, other than that we're on our own. It will be nice to just get in and go.

I need to go by the Met after we have lunch at the Chelsea Market on Thursday for a minute to see about last minute arrangements. I will try to make it from there to the HighLine Park, but if I get caught up at the Met, don't wait for me.

What are we doing if anything for dinner Thursday night? I can meet a couple of you there, if anybody is getting up a group. Down the street? Or?

OK, what remains now to be done? Or said? Can't believe we'll be there in 2 days!!

May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #425 on: September 06, 2010, 11:39:34 AM »
Ginny,
Did you read my above post??

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #426 on: September 06, 2010, 11:45:15 AM »
Yes, we posted together and I do see it now. And the time is set for 3:45 arrival, as you requested.   We can adjust the times we told the authors as we go. All systems go!

Ginny,
My question about the Marriott Marquis was didn't Andrea, Mary, you and I, eat there before seeing Spamalot?

I think we did.  Would you rather eat somewhere else this time? I like the view from the Marquis, especially as it turns to dark.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #427 on: September 06, 2010, 11:58:27 AM »
This is also probably a good time to say I think you will be dazzled by Sarabeth's and our two authors, and so we really need to remember to  thank Ann, who chose Sarabeth's, and who  has arranged this venue so well, it will be one to remember!

As well thanks (why not thank in advance so it's on record) to Eloise for organizing us so well, Lucy for all her advance work and scouting venues, my goodness what effort she's put out,  and advice, Zulema for her on the spot advice,  and all of YOU who took an event or helped with the planning and especially, no matter what came up,  you  gracefully and kindly adapted.  That is our lynch pin of success. I have the feeling if we said, OK, change,  we can't see XXX or YYY you'd adapt!

That's what makes our gatherings so much fun and so unexpected: your spirit.

The overview looks astounding: we've got 3 choices on the last Sunday, a Street Fair on the 11th one long block over, a Book Festival in Brooklyn,  an Author Tea at the award winning Sarabeth's, a fabulous private tour of the Met (and might I timidly add for those interested, a brief look at the cubiculum and chariot with your personal Lecturer) :) (don't think I'm not going to frame that badge, we definitely need to grab one of the guards who hover over the cubiculum and make him take a photo) and a cruise around Manhattan in perfect weather, a trip for those wanting it to Ellis Island or wherever, a Broadway on Broadway with Kelsey Grammer, two Broadway Shows: what's not to like?

I think we've done ourselves proud, the TRICK will be to pace YOURSELF so you don't get exhausted. I just came back  from a two day in law family reunion totally exhausted, let's not do that to ourselves on this trip so we can enjoy!

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #428 on: September 06, 2010, 12:03:09 PM »
Here's the list of diners: There are 7 of us right now.  I have to confirm our number by Tuesday night.

Ann
Mary
Lucy
Pedl'n
Gay
Andy
Zulema

Ann I will be at the Bridge Cafe as well.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #429 on: September 06, 2010, 12:41:10 PM »
The local newspaper this morning recommends putting your suitcase in the bathtub of any hotel while you check the mattress seams for bedbugs. I like that idea, a good place for it to rest,  when you are not bathing, nothing can get in it there.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #430 on: September 06, 2010, 12:57:13 PM »
Terrific idea, Ginny.  Bathtub?  Shower, maybe, down the hall.    ;D

And on one of the cable channels they talked about "encasements."  Several months ago I picked up a packet of those compressible plastic travel bags and decided they were somewhat useless.  However, it may be a good idea to have one's clothes encased in plastic.

Eloise

• Montreal
« Reply #431 on: September 06, 2010, 12:58:53 PM »
New York Soirée  Calendar

Wednesday September 8th,
Fraunces Tavern Museum            =  3 :30 pm
Dinner at Bridge Café                     =  6:00  pm

Thursday  September 9th,
Time to leave  Leo House Limo    =   8:30 am
Hudson Cruise around Manhattan   =   9:30 am
Chelsea Market          =  11:30 am
High Line

Friday, September 10th
Transport to the Met by Limo      =  8:55 am
Metropolitan Museum of Art   =  9:30 am
Lunch in the Atrium        = 11:30 am
Chariot and Cubiculum      

Hotel Marquis
1535 Broadway NYC      =  6:00 pm
Million Dollar Quartet      =   8:00 pm

Saturday September 11th
High Line Park Free Tour Sept 11th=11:00am

Sarabeth's
Time to leave in limo =  3:15
Tea at Sarabeth,    =  4:00 – 6:00 pm

40 Central Park South
New York, N.Y. 10019
Phone 212 826 5959

Sunday September 12th
Breakfast with Andrea        =  8 or 9 am
Ellis Island, transport to pier by taxi
Brooklyn Book Festival
Broadway on Broadway
St Thomas Evensong          =   3:45 pm
Lion King              =  6:30  pm

Monday September 13th
Departure

Lucy’s phone number
Home 347-230-4776 – Cell  609-709-8849

Eloise

• Montreal
« Reply #432 on: September 06, 2010, 01:03:39 PM »
A new Schedule, please check the times for possible errors. thank you

This is getting to be too exciting for this Northerner way up in Montreal. The New York Soirée cannot be less than fabulous and I am so anxious to meet some of you for the first time and quite a few I have met once or twice before at previous reunions.

I can relax about the transportation now Ginny, it's all in good hands.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #433 on: September 06, 2010, 01:19:01 PM »
Great, looks great, thank you so much, Eloise. I've printed it out, we want to congregate in the Lobby at 8:45 for the Met and be in the cars and taking off at 8:55 or so. Could you add the 8th Avenue Street Festival on the 11th that Lucy mentioned?  It sounds to die for. I love those things.

Just talked to the Leo House, they do have blow driers so you don't need to bring one, just FYI, I could not remember.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #434 on: September 06, 2010, 01:21:49 PM »
Pedln, a great idea, I bought some 4x bags the other day, they do say they can't get thru plastic, and that's what I plan to put my clothes in.

You all do know that they say one of the nastiest parts of any hotel room is the drawhers where 80 something percent of all men travellers put their dirty clothes? Look into some of those hotel sites sometimes, you will have a lot of eyebrow raising at what really goes on.

Nobody should have a bath down the hall?

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #435 on: September 06, 2010, 01:34:05 PM »

Chelsea Market

Chelsea Market is an enclosed, urban food court and shopping mall in New York City.

It was built within the former Nabisco factory complex where the Oreo cookie was invented and produced. The 22-building complex fills two entire blocks bounded by 9th and 11th Avenues and 15th to 16th Street. In addition to the retail concourse in the structure east of 10th Avenue, it also provides standard office space for tenants, including media and broadcasting companies such as Oxygen Network, Food Network, Mr Youth, MLB.com, EMI Music Publishing and the local New York City cable station NY1. Also, more recently, Google has moved into some of the second and fourth floors.

Retail facilities were introduced into the building by connecting the original back lots of individual buildings to a central, ground-level concourse with entries at 9th and 10th Avenues (completed in April 1997). Anchor stores include the Chelsea Market Baskets, Manhattan Fruit Exchange, 202 by Nicole Farhi, Amy's Bread, and a restaurant, called Buddakan. There is also the Fat Witch Bakery, Ruth's Bakery, Eleni's Bakery, The Lobster Place, Frank's Meat, and Chelsea Thai.

In January 2006 on the 10th Avenue side, Morimoto, owned by Food Network "Iron Chef" Masaharu Morimoto and designed by Japanese architect Tadao Ando opened. Opposite Morimoto across 10th Avenue, also in the Chelsea Market complex is Del Posto, an Italian restaurant owned by fellow "Iron Chef", Mario Batali. The Food Network films its shows Iron Chef America and Emeril Live in the Chelsea Market.

The developers of Chelsea Market have encouraged a symbiotic relationship among their tenants with the vendors supplying the restaurateurs with fresh ingredients, such as seafood, vegetables, fruit and meats. The presence of television companies in the same building also brings media attention to the site and the businesses that are found there. The site also allows businesses to combine their manufacturing and retail assets under one roof.

Eloise

• Montreal
« Reply #436 on: September 06, 2010, 02:43:48 PM »
8th ave Festival is in the schedule I will post it later today.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #437 on: September 06, 2010, 04:17:55 PM »
Eataly is open, apparently.  You need to get half-way down on this link to see any comments worth reading -- both a grocery and restaurant.  A mixed bag of reviews.  It sounds worth a look-see, anyway, and maybe a gelato.

Eataly

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #438 on: September 06, 2010, 05:18:25 PM »
Eloise,
Could you please put the info about the High Line park having a free tour at 11am above the info for Sarabeth
s?  I believe that JoanR and Meg are going then and some others who may not have made it to the park on Thursday could go then if they want.

ALF43

« Reply #439 on: September 06, 2010, 05:23:18 PM »
Annie, I nboticed that this AM and was going to write you about the Highline.  Thank you Eloise for doing this for us.  It makes life so much easier.  When we get there we can exchange cell phone #s so that noone is left alone.  (Unless they opt for that, of course.)
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell