Author Topic: Noah's Compass by Anne Tyler ~ May Book Club Online -  (Read 36244 times)

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Re: Noah's Compass by Anne Tyler ~ May Book Club Online -
« Reply #200 on: May 26, 2010, 11:59:10 AM »

The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  everyone is welcome to join in.

Noah's Compass ~  May Book Club Online
Everyone is invited - ANYTIME!

Anne Tyler's Noah's Compass was SeniorLearn's first  choice for  our May Book Club Online discussion.  We do hope you will join us in what should be a meaningful, worthwhile experience.  Tyler's protagonist, Liam Pennywell, tells his young grandson that Noah wasn't going anywhere in the Ark.  "He was just trying to stay afloat. He was just bobbing up and down, so he didn't need a compass, or a rudder, or a sextant."

Liam Pennywell  is troubled by his inability to remember anything about the first night that he moved into his new, spare condominium,  after being laid off at 61 from a job he never liked. All he knows when he wakes up the next day in the hospital is that his head is sore and bandaged.  For Liam, the most distressing part of his memory loss was that it felt like he was losing control.

And yet this novel is described as "gently humorous."  Really.

We all know a Liam, the novel suggests.   In fact, there may be a little of Liam in each of us. Just trying to stay afloat.  Please plan to join us as we float along together.

Discussion Schedule

May 1-7 ~     Chapters 1,2,3
May 8-14 ~   Chapters 4,5,6
May 15 -19 ~  Chapters 7,8,9
May20 -24 ~  Chapters 10,11,12,13
May 24-30 ~  Overview, Rate the Book

Overview, Rate the Book:

1.  "I am not especially unhappy, but see no particular reason to go on living."  Is Anne Tyler descibing Everyman here or just one  individual who finds his life "heartbreaking"  and his retirement years lonely?

2.  Do you  think Anne Tyler conveys a   message to the reader with this novel?

3. Ignoring your opinion of the book as a whole, was there any part, any scene, or any character who made a particular impression or tickled your fancy?

4. All things considered, how many stars would you give this book, five being the highest?  *****

Relevant Links:
Amazon.com. - Used copies available;
READERS' GUIDE QUESTIONS - CHAPTERS 1-9;
Bruce Frankel's What Should I Do With the Rest of My Life?  
Anne Tyler's Baltimore;

Discussion Leaders:  JoanP & Pedln

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #201 on: May 27, 2010, 01:55:15 PM »
  Even without a compass, Noah made it to dry land!  As we near the port, I'd like to say a big thank   you to all of you for sharing your views on this book - and for letting us in on your retirement plans and/or dreams!  We couldn't have asked for a better crew~  

And thank you too, Pedln - your upbeat posts were always a delight!  First mate extraordinaire!

Hope to see you all next cruise.

ps - we'll stay open a few more days for late swimmers -
Oh - I've decided to give the book 3 stars - I still love and appreciate AT - though I feel she might have fleshed this one out a bit more >

retired

« Reply #202 on: May 27, 2010, 03:45:54 PM »
No, but the memory loss is what triggered the story - and what brings Eunice into Liam's life.
I'd say that Liam is not so concerned about recovering his lost memory any more, either.  Does he see that the "rememberer" is not going to be of any help to him?  She talks about being a biology major - but can't find a job in the field... Now she's afraid she'll lose this job because Mr. Cope isn't improving.
Liam thinks there is something familiar about her - do you see why?

Is there any way to prepare for impending memory loss?  It's Mrs. Cope who has hired Eunice.  Mr. Cope doesn't seem to understand what Eunice is doing - she works for the company - takes notes at meetings. 

Is losing memory something you fear happening to you?   Is there any way to prepare for it?

In general, I am seeing less of concern about memory loss, now that we are this far into the book -but more concern about planning for the future, for retirement.  Actually, Liam didn't plan his career very well either.  What did he expect to do with his degree in Philosophy?  How did he decide to go into education...with no preparation, no credentials.

.  Do you think young people  are often unaware of their own strengths and need objective help choosing  a career path? Do you think  similar guidance might  help with retirement planning?  I do, but where would one go for such guidance?

retired

« Reply #203 on: May 27, 2010, 04:10:17 PM »
I finally rceived the book from the library a few days ago and read it .
I like Anne Tyler and have read a number of her novels in the past.  I would give this book a 3 star rating .
I disliked Liam as a character because he was not a man of action but allowed himself to drift along . He was a loser in every sense of the word . Unsuccessful in both professional and personal relationships . No compass, no rudder, drifting along.
I thought of the poem Invictus " I am the Master of my fate I am the Captain Of My Sol ".  when I thought of Liam . He created his own outcome in his life . 
Achieving less and less in his life decisions .
I was happy that he apologized to his daughter Xthanthe finally and and therefore opened the door for a more positive relationship in the future .

Liam is presented as a very weak peersonality with poor choices and does not help to create positive (successful) outcomes in his life . WE certainly are the Master of Our Fate and the Captains of Our Soul .
Thank you Discussion Leaders for the chance to discuss Tyler's  novel.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #204 on: May 27, 2010, 05:22:30 PM »
i give this  book 4 stars out of 5 stars...I agree with Traude in her comments...Also agree with Pedlin....I enjoyed this book and think it is a worthwhile read....As for preparing for retirement are you sure we really can prepare...I am not sure of that.  One never knows what will hit them healthwise and that has alot to do with what happens to us in retirement...Joan Grimes
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

Mippy

« Reply #205 on: May 28, 2010, 02:12:42 PM »
Since this is almost the end of the month, I'd like to thank our sterling, outstanding DL's,
JoanP and Pedln.
This was a more uneven book than many of us expected, but you two were up to it !!
And thanks to everyone who posted, you brightened up my month!
quot libros, quam breve tempus

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #206 on: May 29, 2010, 12:03:09 PM »
Retired, I’m so glad you finally got the book and had a chance to read it, even though we have different opinions about the characters.  But that’s what makes a discussion so interesting and fun and worthwhile – different strokes for different folks.

Thank you all for your input.  And as well as your opinions, I also really enjoyed learning about your retirements and the paths that led you all there.  And a special thanks to JoanP, who navigated our course well, through doldrums and smooth sailing.